Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #6351
korme
Go Reds

Saw Manchester by the Sea last night. Affleck (Casey) will win Best Actor, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes Best Picture. Just an incredible gut-wrenching story that is filled with humor and warm moments. A very well done film. 9/10

Last edited by korme : 12-22-2016 at 07:20 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #6352
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Captain Fantastic - 9.9/10

Absolutely beautiful film. Viggo Mortensen is probably the actor I most underrate.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 AM   #6353
hollmt
High School Varsity

Ghostbusters 2016 - 2.0/10

One of the worst movies I have seen that actually had 'stars' in it.
I am a fan of Kate McKinnon, but she was even too over the top in face making and movements and voices for the ENTIRE movie.
I am a fan of Wiig, but she wasn't that funny in this.
McCarthy I can tolerate in small doses.
Leslie Jones is awful in SNL and in this movie. She tries too hard.
The movie got 1 entire point because of Hemsworth's character. The other point was only because I didn't fall asleep while watching it which says something I guess.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:51 AM   #6354
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just watched "The Color of Money". Never got around to seeing it before and when it came out I was both too young and didn't really care about dramas. Definitely great. Granted its so stylistic but very very stylistic fun. Love how much fun Scorcese has with camera tricks as much as Eddie and Vince love their pool tricks. Those camera moves proving they shot their own shots were awesome. Can definitely see that Scorcese was a Tarantino influence with all the movement. Fun movie. And I used to think the oscar was just a gimme oscar to Newman but nah...he holds his own in it. Cruise hits a lot of notes that he did later again in Jerry Mcguire. But hadn't seen his more playful side as in this. Great stuff. I missed Scorcese's cameo...was there one?

Solid fun stylistic Scorcese movie. 8/10

Still has drama even though it's just about pool...but about much more.
Kind of see other movies like Educating Rita and Bells of St Mary in it.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 12-31-2016 at 01:52 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #6355
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I just watched "The Color of Money". Never got around to seeing it before and when it came out I was both too young and didn't really care about dramas. Definitely great. Granted its so stylistic but very very stylistic fun. Love how much fun Scorcese has with camera tricks as much as Eddie and Vince love their pool tricks. Those camera moves proving they shot their own shots were awesome. Can definitely see that Scorcese was a Tarantino influence with all the movement. Fun movie. And I used to think the oscar was just a gimme oscar to Newman but nah...he holds his own in it. Cruise hits a lot of notes that he did later again in Jerry Mcguire. But hadn't seen his more playful side as in this. Great stuff. I missed Scorcese's cameo...was there one?

If you liked this one, check out 'The Hustler'. It's Newman and Gleason as the Fat Man (Minnesota) and the back story of Fast Eddie. Really, really good movie.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #6356
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
If you liked this one, check out 'The Hustler'. It's Newman and Gleason as the Fat Man (Minnesota) and the back story of Fast Eddie. Really, really good movie.

I've been told this. Was wondering if it is just the same movie with Newman in the Cruise role/situation.

Is it Scorcese still?

Gleason and Newman...interesting combo.

I also wonder if watching Hustler will make me like COlor less.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #6357
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
Ghostbusters 2016 - 2.0/10

One of the worst movies I have seen that actually had 'stars' in it.
I am a fan of Kate McKinnon, but she was even too over the top in face making and movements and voices for the ENTIRE movie.
I am a fan of Wiig, but she wasn't that funny in this.
McCarthy I can tolerate in small doses.
Leslie Jones is awful in SNL and in this movie. She tries too hard.
The movie got 1 entire point because of Hemsworth's character. The other point was only because I didn't fall asleep while watching it which says something I guess.

You will forever been known as a "sexist" for this review. Shame on you. *sarcasm*

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:24 PM   #6358
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
I've been told this. Was wondering if it is just the same movie with Newman in the Cruise role/situation.

Is it Scorcese still?

Gleason and Newman...interesting combo.

I also wonder if watching Hustler will make me like COlor less.

It isn't a Scorcese film. It also has George C. Scott and Piper Laurie.
It isn't a repeat of Color of Money or rather...Color isn't a repeat of The Hustler at all. They are entirely different stories. Some cocky similarities between young Fast Eddie and Vincent though from Color.
Tells the story of Fast Eddie and his chase of Minnesota Fats (Gleason) and downfall and rise and maybe downfall again and why he sort of quit. It will not make you dislike Color any at all and might actually make you like it even more.

It is a fantastic movie. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #6359
Edward64
Head Coach

Assassin's Creed - 3/10

I'm usually pretty tolerant of movies but this one pretty much stunk. The acting wasn't that bad but the plot was non-existent. Talk about holes in the story.

I'm hoping for the director that they had to cut out a bunch of stuff that will show up on the Blu-Ray version that ties things together.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #6360
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

One of my absolute favorite movies of all time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #6361
Gaelic Hill
n00b

A Shock to the System

I've watched this numerous times. A black comedy about an antiquated office worker who gives in to his dark fantasies. Michael Caine is brilliant. You will soon add "bibbity bobbity boom" to your vocabulary.
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #6362
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Fantastic Four (2015) - 2.0 - I think this franchise holds the record for the sheer number of awful attempts to make into a film. from the high school film wannabe version of 1994 with Dr Richards seemingly having white strips of fabric on his temple hair to make him look older...to the Dr Who-ish like costumes. The 2005 Mickael Chiklis/Chris Evans version sustained through 2 films and got some buzz. Was better than the previous. So what brought on yet another reboot? Was it that bad? Did they need to try again?
They failed. The 2015 version is exactly all of the worst things about superhero movies, worst thing about genre movies, reason people didn't make a lot of them in the past. The script is a total mess. Now I will say that even tho this is yet ANOTHER origin story....the plot of this movie works on its own level. Granted that level is a total hodgepodge whatever mess...but considering the source material is two comic book writers asking a bunch of 14 year old..."hey kids what are the coolest superpowers you can think of? Good idea we'll give all these to people and make them a team." So the result is basically what this franchise always struggles with: finding a reason a logical reason for these things happening. WHich there is none. GOtta go big....and big they did. They pretty much reimagined the whole premise and reason of everything in this. And what they came up with was not terrible. They settled on scientists experimenting with interdimensional travel to a different version of primordial earth and from getting doused by primordial ooze ala ninja turtles and having their traveling bug zapper irradiate them in different ways on the transfer...voila...powers. But....where it all falls apart is orchestrating all of these characters to be in the places with the skills they have to make these things happen. There is no motivation for anyone....rather motivation is wedged and forced like a friday the 13th movie. scenes between characters last maybe 30 seconds each where normal conversations become brooding at the 10 second mark and then explode into raw emotion at the 20 second mark...thus justifying extreme choices and ....um consequences schmonsequences... As far as acting goes...I GUESS? these nonames are good actors. When they are actually talking I am liking them...but they are given such ridiculous transitions to make and given the most emo of dialogue to say. Victor von Doom gets the worst of it altho emo badboy johnny storm is a close second. And then...of course...who needs actors when once they get their powers it's CGI all the way. And then even the action sequences don't even play out in a dramatic fashion. Things just happen happen happen as fast as possible. There COULD have been a great climax...i mean since they have all those cool effects going on anyway...but they follow bad guy back...and then they kill him. Hey THAT was easy! And it's a real shame because Dr Doom is probably the best character of all of them in the franchise...and they make him look SO scary, SO sinister...and he just isn't as big a part of this as he could be...and now he's dead. They probably could have done something a lot better just contuing from where the 2007 film left off. Why not? why do we need a thousand reboot stories of the same thing?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #6363
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
why do we need a thousand reboot stories of the same thing?

Because they make money no matter how bad they are...generally speaking. This film made money. Comic book and super hero movies make money. Why, i dont know, i dont get it. It seems like every one of these movies gets its own thread on these forums, so thats the answer.

Crappy super hero movies are easy to make, dont have to be good, and way more often then not, make money....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #6364
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Because they make money no matter how bad they are...generally speaking. This film made money. Comic book and super hero movies make money. Why, i dont know, i dont get it. It seems like every one of these movies gets its own thread on these forums, so thats the answer.

Crappy super hero movies are easy to make, dont have to be good, and way more often then not, make money....

Luckily, we've had a pretty fantastic run of largely good-to-great super hero movies!

Sure, there are some stinkers like Fantastic 4, Batman v. Superman, the last X-Men movie, but, overall, they've been pretty solid, especially the Marvel films.

#Blessed
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #6365
Kodos
Resident Alien

Saw the Passengers movie last night. I found it to be pretty entertaining and interesting. A solid 7.5.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #6366
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Saw the Passengers movie last night. I found it to be pretty entertaining and interesting. A solid 7.5.

Agreed. I think this one has been unfairly maligned. It's a solid scifi flick.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #6367
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

a friend told me that they have to keep making them or else they lose the IP/license/rites/whatever.

They hoped it would revert back to marvl so they can make something good with it.

I think that particular story is one of the worst and trotting out more origin stories of the same thing is horrible. If you're gonna make a movie...just create a new villain and write a fresh script. DO THAT!

I think marvel would make a much better film with those guys but again...why bother...
Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #6368
QuikSand
lolzcat

This might not be the best place for this, but for those who talked here about the movie Arrival, here's a pretty intriguing write-up from James Gleick on the film, the original novella, and how badass a rabbit hole this whole thing really is.

When They Came from AnotherÂ*World | by James Gleick | The New York Review of Books
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #6369
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
World's Greatest Dad - 8.5/10

Good grief, this movie made me feel angry, then sad, then highly uncomfortable. Dark comedy about a dad (played by Robin Williams) who has a jerk of a son. Son dies in a freak accident and dad writes a suicide note to avoid embarrassment. Robin Williams is a hell of an actor. He plays the sympathetic role very well, I felt really bad for him and the way he was being treated by everyone.

It's on Netflix Watch Instantly.

Saw this last night. Not sure what my final feelings are - but I feel the movie itself was very good to great. Laughed out loud quite a bit. Was disturbing, however, to see the suicide and Robin's reaction to it in various pieces of dialogue knowing how his story ends. I'd give it an 8.5 as well.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #6370
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

La La Land - 6.5/10

I'm a sucker for an original musical and Damien Chazzelle's whitewashed jazz love letters almost get me in. But there's a lot of uneven about this down to the stars casting, because they cannot sing or dance.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-14-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #6371
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Luckily, we've had a pretty fantastic run of largely good-to-great super hero movies!

Sure, there are some stinkers like Fantastic 4, Batman v. Superman, the last X-Men movie, but, overall, they've been pretty solid, especially the Marvel films.

#Blessed

It's going to be interesting to see if it holds up. Marvel have hit a winning formula with character-based films, but it's a real balancing act between script and CGI flash and if superhero films lean too far either way they become real dull, especially due to them having the same problem as actual comics as far as lack of consequences for the main characters go.

Age of Ultron was basically the Marvel equivalent of Batman vs Superman, better only because Marvel did such a great job casting the Avengers... it was just a lot of explosions and robots being blown up without much else, not unlike the Iron Man sequels. Civil War worked because it focused on the characters (...although some of it felt like a real stretch), and Guardians was the same in that respect.

Ant-man on the other hand felt like the pendulum swung too far the other way, and I found it real dull.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #6372
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It's going to be interesting to see if it holds up. Marvel have hit a winning formula with character-based films, but it's a real balancing act between script and CGI flash and if superhero films lean too far either way they become real dull, especially due to them having the same problem as actual comics as far as lack of consequences for the main characters go.

Age of Ultron was basically the Marvel equivalent of Batman vs Superman, better only because Marvel did such a great job casting the Avengers... it was just a lot of explosions and robots being blown up without much else, not unlike the Iron Man sequels. Civil War worked because it focused on the characters (...although some of it felt like a real stretch), and Guardians was the same in that respect.

Ant-man on the other hand felt like the pendulum swung too far the other way, and I found it real dull.

I liked Age of Ultron well enough. I think it's better than most give it credit for.

And Ant-Man? I loved it. I thought it was fantastic. It was exactly what it was supposed to be and more. It exceeded my expectations.

Marvel has earned the benefit of the doubt. If anything, they're movies are getting consistently better. The weakest films of the bunch were some of the earlier ones - first Captain America, Iron-Man 2, the Thor movies.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #6373
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Silence - 10/10: Now, granted, it may not be as high for you if you aren't into religious faith. However, I think it was an absolutely brilliant film that raised a lot of questions about struggling in faith and what is the right path to take, especially when people's lives are on the line. The acting, especially, by Garfield was incredible and the film is simply beautiful. It's long, but it really didn't feel like it - as it was incredibly tense.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #6374
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Lobster - 6/10

Now this isn't very scientific. But if you liked movies like Visioneers, than chances are you'll be down for this one. I could have graded it higher, but there were enough times where I was asking myself, what the hell am I watching?

First off, you've got to really be into dramatic strings, or you'll never make it. I took it as both serious and overly dramatic satire, which the entire movie seems to balance on. It's an absolute absurd premise that you have to buy into, but if you can make that leap, then there's a lot to think about.

I had to watch it in 2 sittings, because of flying and stuff, but I couldn't get it out of my head in between. It was so weird. There were a couple parts that just hung there, and the ending was left in such a way that you had to think it through to determine if you even liked it.

Not one of those movies you just sit back and mindlessly watch. You've got to put some effort into it. If you find yourself lost in the middle and unable to pay attention, just hit the eject button, because you will find it a waste of time by the end, but if you hang in there really give it a shot, you'll find yourself asking "what the hell did I just watch?"

That's about as good as I got for you guys. I could be an 8 to someone and a 2 to someone else. It's just one of those things.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #6375
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Rogue One - 7.5/10

It's a good action movie that happens to be a Star Wars movie.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #6376
Groundhog
Coordinator

Blood Father - 7/10
Didn't mind this at all. Mel Gibson plays basically an ex-con John Wick out to protect his daughter from a crime cartel. Turn your brain off, sit back, and enjoy.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #6377
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Blood Father was interesting to me because outside of Gibson it felt like a pure B movie with terrible acting and everything. I still thought it was decent, but he carried 95% of it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #6378
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Blood Father was interesting to me because outside of Gibson it felt like a pure B movie with terrible acting and everything. I still thought it was decent, but he carried 95% of it.

Absolutely. It was a collection of B grade movie tropes - redneck biker nazis, sicario assassins, etc. - that happened to star Mel Gibson. Just about anyone else in that role and it's like a 3 or 4 out of 10.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #6379
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Silence - 10/10: Now, granted, it may not be as high for you if you aren't into religious faith. However, I think it was an absolutely brilliant film that raised a lot of questions about struggling in faith and what is the right path to take, especially when people's lives are on the line. The acting, especially, by Garfield was incredible and the film is simply beautiful. It's long, but it really didn't feel like it - as it was incredibly tense.

Really excited for this one. Not a man of faith by any means, but I was at one time and this is also Scorsese's passion project, so I can only imagine how much effort he put into it. That bodes well for the quality whether you have faith or not, IMO. Faith (in God or otherwise) is such a precarious thing, always ready to waver.. The exploration of humanity and the complexity of being faithful in the face of overwhelming dissent are always interesting subjects to delve into.

Between that and Hacksaw Ridge, Andrew Garfield has had a hell of a year.

FUCK EA
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #6380
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Absolutely. It was a collection of B grade movie tropes - redneck biker nazis, sicario assassins, etc. - that happened to star Mel Gibson. Just about anyone else in that role and it's like a 3 or 4 out of 10.

Loved the bit part that William H. Macy had too. Such an odd film for him to show up in.

FUCK EA
Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #6381
korme
Go Reds

Oscar Noms out, I have some work to do, as I've only seen 4 of the 9 nominated for Best Pic.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #6382
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

This has been a bad year for me with regards to watching movies so I'm going to hold off on "judging" the noms. I will say that in regards to snubs I have seen many say its not a bad list this year MINUS Amy Adams supposedly got snubbed extremely hard. That's a shame, as I want to watch that movie really bad, and one reason is because I am a big fan of hers. I loved her in The Fighter. I know many in this thread have seen the movie, among others, to confirm the validity of the snub.

I also want to see Elle as I've heard Huppert has an incredible performance.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6383
Critch
lolzcat

It's been a while since I could sign in to post, so late with this news. The Hateful Eight. 9 (or maybe 9.5) out of 10.

I thought it was great, and not really a fan of Tarantino usually. Other than Reservoir Dogs and half of Pulp Fiction, obviously.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #6384
revrew
Team Chaplain

Deepwater Horizon - 4/10

Rented it last night. Mildly entertaining and nothing really wrong with the film, just so little it did right. The comic relief was too little, the drama way, way too predictable. It didn't go all out political to demonize BP as much as it could have, but that's not exactly a glowing endorsement. My wife wanted to see it, and I needed to veg out for a while, so it worked for the stay-at-home date flick. A little bloody for her tastes, a little bland for mine, but OK.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #6385
Suicane75
Coordinator

Amy Adams can eat a cake, that movie sucked. She sucked and she can eat a cake. Glad she didn't get nominated.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #6386
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Deepwater Horizon - 4/10
It didn't go all out political to demonize BP as much as it could have, but that's not exactly a glowing endorsement

For real, I actually thought they tried to paint them as the good guys for most of it. Good CGI tho. 4/10 seems appropriate.

Last edited by chinaski : 01-25-2017 at 01:07 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #6387
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Hell or High Water 6/10. Such a good plot and acting, but awful dialogue. It couldn't find its style- at times going from Cohen brothers then switching to Cormack Macarthy. Such a shame, the death of the rural class was a great premis.

Moonlight 9/10. Amazing. It is really a PTSD film. In a very familiar way it reminded me of Deer Hunter. Part of the reason was the "you can't go home again" theme, the other was the minimalists dialogue allowing for much more emphasis on body language and silences.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #6388
Butter
Coordinator

Here's my list so far this year:

1. The Lobster - 6

I was on board with the concept and everything... and I enjoyed most of it... but I just feel like the complete deadpan aspect of all the acting and situations just didn't match the story. Also, the ending sucked... I'm for a nice open-ender if that's what you like, but not this. Plus, if you are going to have a movie like this without at least a peek into the transformation, that's odd. The film was also either TOO subtle or not subtle enough with its allegory, as I thought it had some very obvious things to say about relationships that didn't really speak to me. Finally, EVERYONE does their line readings as flat as possible, and I don't get why. I guess that's the style he's going for, but by the end I was just ready for it to be over. I guess this reads like I didn't like it at all, but most of it was actually pretty funny and surreal.

2. Manchester by the Sea - 9

Most have heard all the wonderful things about this. I'll second them. Casey Affleck pretty much nails it, the film wouldn't work without his top drawer performance. Michelle Williams matches him but only appears in essentially two scenes... though the last is what I will take from the movie. Great.

3. St. Vincent - 7

Cast really makes this movie, as I really feel like any one of us could've written this script... in our sleep.

4. American Ultra - 6

Not much to say about this one. It was entertaining enough for an in-flight watch. Though the juxtaposition of some of the brutality and the jocularity was off-putting.

5. It Follows - 6

Was underwhelmed. I'm not saying I need full explanation for what "it" was... but at some point, don't you have to get into it? And for "it" to be a presence but not visible to others... well let's just say I thought the rules around "it"s behavior was really stupid. There were a couple of good scares, but there was also nonsense... like the final plan to get rid of "it". I don't even know what they were doing, and maybe they don't either. I read some criticism saying that was the point... they were kids and they didn't have a good plan. OK, fine. But it was less than satisfying.

6. The Neon Demon - 6

This film is so beautiful and weird, but so very ponderously long. It's worth it for the bananas final half hour.

7. The Founder - 6

Something was just off with this. It plays like a sterile retelling of events rather than the dramatization it is. Spend the first half gaining sympathy for Ray Kroc, then the last half showing you why he is not deserving of any sympathy. The dichotomy just doesn't work very well.

8. Bad Moms - 7

Pretty much what you want and expect it out of this. Not a ton of big laughs, but Kristen Bell was really good.

9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3

Kinda hated it. Tries to build atmospheric, spooky scares... But the payoff and reveal isn't even that scary. It literally put me to sleep, had to go back and rewatch about twenty minutes of it... During which not much happens. The Gothic atmosphere never really comes together for me.

10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5

Maybe I'm desensitized to true crime at this point, but I imagine this was groundbreaking stuff in 1995 when it came out on HBO. There is no narrator and no attempted filmmaker POV, which is nice. But the trials themselves are far from riveting, and that makes up over half the 2:30 running time. The parents of the kids are understandably upset throughout, but they are a bit overboard with their want for revenge. To this day, no one knows who committed these crimes... spoiler alert. But these 3 kids pled guilty as a condition of their release in 2011, so they take responsibility for it, while the state agrees that they pretty much had no more right to hold them for it anymore. There are 2 sequels to this that I'll never be watching, but maybe they go into more detail about who actually did it.

11. The Wolfpack - 5

This documentary filmmaker makes a couple of the biggest blunders that you can make. 1. What are the names of these people? They are mentioned once, and then never again until the final credits. And since they are not typical English names, I had no hope of identifying anyone beyond their faces, and even that was a struggle since there are 6 of them and some of them look alike. 2. Seriously, you don't ask a single neighbor what they think about these people? It's a group of 7 children that are homeschooled and some of whom have left their NYC high-rise apartment maybe a handful of times IN THEIR LIVES, and no one thinks to find out some alternate opinions? Nothing? I guess that was a choice, but it was a bad choice. I liked the kids pretty well, and really they are the reason this gets a 5. The movie itself is not particularly well constructed or shot, but the story of these kids is fascinating. Sad that it couldn't have been in someone else's hands.

12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8

There are a LOT of different story tellers in this... but the filmmakers do a nice job of telling a story instead of getting off on the myriad of great one-off stories they could have included in this. It is essentially the story of the initial 2 guys and publisher who start the National Lampoon magazine in the late '60's and how that grows into an American comedy institution in the 70's and then fails. And these guys are all old as shit and have been through hell, and don't mind telling you how it is... including basically how PJ O'Rourke ruins the National Lampoon. And one of the founders stands up and says "I have hated every minute of it" and wasn't joking. And how the other one clearly didn't make it all the way to today. More still pictures of breasts than any movie I can remember... one of the writers even says of the models "we couldn't afford even B-level breasts, so we were getting like D and E-level breasts."

Dozens of hysterical article titles and captions... but I don't think anything beats "'How to Write Dirty' by Justice Thurgood Marshall." Plus, a lot of funny snippets of their radio show. Worth it, and it's only like 80 minutes.

13. Split - 6

Entertaining, even though as my wife explained, "they aren't even really sure if DID (dissociative identity disorder) is a real thing or just due to poor diagnosis and technique". And even if it is a thing "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works". -1 for the absolutely unnecessary bumper at the end where M. Night jerks himself off, figuratively. Yes, I remember when you made a good movie a couple of times, and this one sorta works too. But as far as being "back", let's not go sucking each other's dicks just yet.

14. Brother's Keeper - 9

Fascinating 1992 doc about a group of 4 brothers who are but simple "country folk"... or "mentally retarded idiots" from another perspective. Does a great job of delving into the neighbors, the town, the feeling of society around the town, the dichotomy between city/country that these folks feel and then finally the case itself. THIS is how you do one of these true crime docs. Only fails to get a perfect grade because... well, you don't really get to know the brothers at all, probably because there just isn't much to know. As close as you get is Lyman, where he talks about how he always gets nervous, then you see it manifest itself later in the film... scary and amazing all at once.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #6389
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Manchester by the Sea -- 10/10

I love movies that are unflinchingly honest. Add in the pitch perfect casting/acting across the board and I feel like I'll come back to this one in the future.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #6390
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Mad Max Fury Road was on tonight on HBO, and I caught the last hour or so of it. I have seen it a ton of times already. But even this time, the umpteenth time, I am reminded of how it is actually a truly remarkable action film, and still completely deserving of its nomination as an Academy Award Best Picture nominee last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #6391
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Deepwater Horizon - 4/10

Rented it last night. Mildly entertaining and nothing really wrong with the film, just so little it did right. The comic relief was too little, the drama way, way too predictable. It didn't go all out political to demonize BP as much as it could have, but that's not exactly a glowing endorsement. My wife wanted to see it, and I needed to veg out for a while, so it worked for the stay-at-home date flick. A little bloody for her tastes, a little bland for mine, but OK.

I thought the first half was pretty boring. Probably a 5/10 for me.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #6392
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Mad Max Fury Road was on tonight on HBO, and I caught the last hour or so of it. I have seen it a ton of times already. But even this time, the umpteenth time, I am reminded of how it is actually a truly remarkable action film, and still completely deserving of its nomination as an Academy Award Best Picture nominee last year.

I watched a half hour of it and shut it off.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #6393
Edward64
Head Coach

Mechanic Resurrection - 5/10

I remember seeing the orig Charles Bronson one which I enjoyed as a kid. After the remake from a couple years ago (eh, wasn't great) I knew what I was getting into. This sequel was $10 from Amazon and it had Michelle Yeoh & Jessica Alba (btw, can someone startup the hot or not series again?).

I gave it a 5/10 because although I sort of enjoyed the action, I was disappointed in the Jessica Alba's acting and her damsel in distress role, and thought several parts of the movie was "rushed".

Overall, it falls into my B movie collection that I'll probably watch every 3-4 years.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #6394
sabotai
General Manager

Creed - 6/10

Yeah, it's a fun Rocky movie, but I didn't see what the big deal was about it. It was nominated for a bunch of awards, with Stallone being nominated for best supporting actor. Respectfully disagree. It certainly wasn't a bad movie, and it didn't have bad performances. It was just...a decent, fun Rocky movie. I'll probably watch it again when I'm in the mood for something like that, but still, it's a solid 6. Nothing more.

Although that long take fight in the middle of the movie was amazing. I love a really well done long take.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #6395
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Creed - 6/10

Yeah, it's a fun Rocky movie, but I didn't see what the big deal was about it. It was nominated for a bunch of awards, with Stallone being nominated for best supporting actor. Respectfully disagree. It certainly wasn't a bad movie, and it didn't have bad performances. It was just...a decent, fun Rocky movie. I'll probably watch it again when I'm in the mood for something like that, but still, it's a solid 6. Nothing more.

Although that long take fight in the middle of the movie was amazing. I love a really well done long take.

This made me think of Creed from the Office. He really does need his own action movie!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #6396
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
This made me think of Creed from the Office. He really does need his own action movie!

I would watch that.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #6397
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Passengers - 7/10

I don't get the hate for it, but the ending was just a bit too cheesy for me. I had it as a solid 8.5/9 until the feel good nonsense of the last 15 minutes.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #6398
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Creed - 6/10

Agree, it was a fun Rocky movie but it wasn't that great. It was probably just for nostalgia.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #6399
Edward64
Head Coach

Kubo - 3/10

Man, this was a major disappointment. A bunch of mumbo-jumbo, oriental mysticism does not make a fun animated movie. Got the blu-ray for $13 so not a big deal but not one I'll watch again anytime soon.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #6400
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kubo was the exact opposite for me. The "mumbo-jumbo, oriental mysticism" goes by the name of Buddhism, and it's a refreshing change to see it in a film like this.