Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #6301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At my son's urging I listened to Broken Matt's podcast appearance with Jericho last month.

I'll say this,the guy is all-in on the character.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:18 AM   #6302
RainMaker
General Manager

Cruiserweight belt is really ugly. In fact, most of the belts in WWE are ugly these days. The Universal Championship is terrible and the tag team belts are just abysmal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #6303
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cruiserweight belt is really ugly.

It looks like a women's title.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #6304
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really cool video where Rock talks about his first match in the WWF.

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson Hilariously Looks Back at His First Pro-Wrestling Match
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #6305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Paige suspended for 60 days
Old 10-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #6306
RainMaker
General Manager

Alberto Del Rio has not been a positive influence on her career. 24 years old and has basically thrown her career away for him.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #6307
RainMaker
General Manager

I doubt anyone follows Progress here but Jimmy Havoc returned to Progress a couple weeks ago (he had a horrific knee injury awhile back). One of the best characters in the independents. The pop from it was incredible.

Progress Wrestling Chapter 36 - Streamable

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-10-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #6308
RainMaker
General Manager

I just want to say that I'm blown away by how good AJ Styles is at wrestling. I had seen him a little in TNA but never followed it that closely. It seems like he could have a great match with anyone.

He also basically saved a guys life in the ring this week.

AJ Styles saved James Ellsworth from serious injury on SmackDown Live - Cageside Seats
Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #6309
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
I just want to say that I'm blown away by how good AJ Styles is at wrestling. I had seen him a little in TNA but never followed it that closely. It seems like he could have a great match with anyone.

He also basically saved a guys life in the ring this week.

AJ Styles saved James Ellsworth from serious injury on SmackDown Live - Cageside Seats

Yeah, noticed that live. A couple of guys ended up with broken necks from the move while AJ was working independents after leaving TNA. There was even talk that WWE wasn't going to let him use the move when he first showed up, hence the use of the Phenomenal Forearm. Ellsworth is a lucky man and AJ did a great job of protecting his opponent. Just a true professional.

On a side note, I wish Ellsworth had a brother because he's got a Mulkey vibe to him.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #6310
molson
General Manager

Interesting times for TNA. Though I'm not sure TNA has ever had un-interesting times.

They're facing lawsuits from both a former production company, and from Billy Corgan, who claims that Dixie Carter owes him money personally. Corgan successfully got a temporary restraining order that prevents Carter from selling the company to anyone else, for the moment.

They had to edit the last POP TV show to edit out music they haven't paid for.

TNA was recently hit with a tax lien by the state of Tennessee. That lowers the value of the company until, and if, it's paid.

And, Meltzer reported that some TNA talents are planning on declaring "free agency" next week because they haven't been paid.

But somehow, they're still around, and for some reason, several entities are fighting for them.

Last edited by molson : 10-14-2016 at 02:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #6311
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Interesting times for TNA. Though I'm not sure TNA has ever had un-interesting times.

They're facing lawsuits from both a former production company, and from Billy Corgan, who claims that Dixie Carter owes him money personally. Corgan successfully got a temporary restraining order that prevents Carter from selling the company to anyone else, for the moment.

They had to edit the last POP TV show to edit out music they haven't paid for.

TNA was recently hit with a tax lien by the state of Tennessee. That lowers the value of the company until, and if, it's paid.

And, Meltzer reported that some TNA talents are planning on declaring "free agency" next week because they haven't been paid.

But somehow, they're still around, and for some reason, several entities are fighting for them.

They're putting out their best product in years. The storylines are almost all good to great. The character development has been excellent. Unfortunately, Dixie probably did too much damage for them to survive one last time (unless Corgan buys them).
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #6312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seeing reports that Dale Oliver (their longtime music guy) hasn't been paid, well, that bodes REALLY poorly for them. I mean, he's arguably been around longer than just about anyone, through the bad times & the worse times, so if he's forcing them to pull his work before the shows air then he has to think there's not much hope of getting paid.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #6313
molson
General Manager

Corgan should just start his own promotion. I get that the TV contracts are a big thing, but POP TV and whatever TNA has overseas obviously isn't anywhere close to enough to sustain the company, so, how much value do those contracts really have? PWG is apparently doing very well, and a bunch of other indies are doing decently. Corgan has blown so much money that he probably won't get back from TNA and Dixie, even if he does eventually get the company. And if he does, what drastic changes can he make to make it profitable?
Old 10-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #6314
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Corgan should just start his own promotion. I get that the TV contracts are a big thing, but POP TV and whatever TNA has overseas obviously isn't anywhere close to enough to sustain the company, so, how much value do those contracts really have?

Perception. Those TV deals are the only difference between TNA & Billy Championship Wrestling, coming soon to a middle school gym near you. Complete with intermission raffle. (Though, frankly, being on POP qualifies as having a TV deal in only the strictest sense of the words)

They're also what theoretically prevents ROH from being hailed as the consensus #2 company in the U.S.

Now whether those things translate to the bottom line, that's a whole different subject.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #6315
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I was thinking that same thing. The problem really is the TV deal. TNA has cratered in the ratings the last two weeks, dropping from 365k to 284k. Wrestling also doesn't bring in advertising buys at the rates that networks want.

If I'm Corgan, I'm already in talks with POP to take the TNA timeslot. I would also be looking into how to gain the rights to certain gimmicks if TNA goes bankrupt.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #6316
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Is it a problem when Goldberg can come back after 10+ years and cut a better promo than 95% of the current roster?

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 10-18-2016 at 07:40 AM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #6317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Goldberg and I are basically the same age (he's four months older).

The cool part there? The emotion before the promo began.

A phenomenal character played by an rather imperfect guy. I hope he's got one more match in him.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #6318
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Is it a problem when Goldberg can come back after 10+ years and cut a better promo than 95% of the current roster?

Considering he was never a good promo guy, give him credit for the promo of his life but call it a fluke.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #6319
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Goldberg and I are basically the same age (he's four months older).

The cool part there? The emotion before the promo began.

A phenomenal character played by an rather imperfect guy. I hope he's got one more match in him.

The only problem I have is I know how this is going to play out with Vince in charge. Bury another WCW guy.

I'm also ready for the disappointment as he probably won't be all trapezoids anymore and look like a 50 year old version of himself but I believe he is motivated to put on a better show than Brock-Goldberg from Mania using his kid as the key motivation.

Can't lie, I marked out a little inside watching it though.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #6320
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Considering he was never a good promo guy, give him credit for the promo of his life but call it a fluke.

He never had to talk as he was surrounded by others who could do that while he just had to look massive and wrestle stiff. Even watching an old match it wasn't the greatest stuff but just to have the strength to hold up Big Show for the jackhammer for that long was enough to forget his mic skills.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #6321
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm obviously late to the party, but that Goldberg entrance was f'n epic.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #6322
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Im like Murrayyyyyyyyy though
It sucks inside knowing Goldberg gets buried by Vince for cash.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 PM   #6323
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

James Ellsworth is a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #6324
Suicane75
Coordinator

Watch an episode of Talking Smack or one of the behind the scenes shows on the network and you'll see that the problem isn't that guys can't cut very good promos, it's that they aren't allowed to do so on the main show. Every time a guy comes out and says something that isn't scripted it's pretty good and remarkably better than 99% of the rest of the promos on said show.

All that being said, Goldberg was awesome. After his Lesnar match he has to come to Smackdown and do one last match with the man, the myth, the legend...James Ellsworth.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #6325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not a ton in this that we didn't know already I don't think. New legal filings from Billy Corgan say TNA is insolvent and that WWE is in negotiations to buy their assets (the tape library seems to be what they're interested in).

WWE in negotiations to buy insolvent TNA wrestling, according to Billy Corgan lawsuit
Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #6326
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...-tna/93069526/

So Corgan's takeover fails, looks like production company Aroluxe (which includes former TNA workers Ron & Don Harris) are probably next in line to take control of the company.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #6327
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't remember a Women's match that brutal (not bad, just violent) in WWE before.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #6328
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Corgan loses legal effort to take over TNA

So Corgan's takeover fails, looks like production company Aroluxe (which includes former TNA workers Ron & Don Harris) are probably next in line to take control of the company.

I think Anthem Sports & Entertainment in Canada is supposedly buying 85% of the company from Dixie and paying off Corgan, and then the CEO of Aroluxe is going to run the day to day operations. Sounds like a lot of cost cutting will be done though, with them taping even more infrequently then they are now.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #6329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I think Anthem Sports & Entertainment in Canada is supposedly buying 85% of the company from Dixie and paying off Corgan, and then the CEO of Aroluxe is going to run the day to day operations. Sounds like a lot of cost cutting will be done though, with them taping even more infrequently then they are now.

Yeah, I've seen that since my initial post.

I'll be honest, on my quick read through of something that mentioned Anthem initially, my brain misread that as being the shell company that Dixie & her husband had formed at some point, rather than the Fight Network folks it actually is.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #6330
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's interesting that this many people want to keep TNA afloat. It's a shame that Dixie went full mark and did the Hogan/Hall & Nash/Russo era(s). They've had a good to great product several times, but it feels like they're too damaged now to ever be a meaningful company on a national level. I think Matt Hardy said it best recently when he said the first thing to do is change the name. TNA was a bad idea for a name from the start.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #6331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
TNA was a bad idea for a name from the start.

Well,maybe at the level it eventually peaked at but it really wasn't an horrible notion when this was simply a fledging uncertain idea from Jerry Jarrett.

I mean, the promotion initially had dancers suspended above the corners of the ring in cages for cryin' out loud. They spent, what, at least a year living up to the not-so-subtle suggestion the name carried.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #6332
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of cost cutting will be done though, with them taping even more infrequently then they are now.

They'll have to do something dramatic. The company can't exist as it's currently structured, there obviously just isn't enough money coming in. I guess they'll just do a couple of annual tapings from Florida, and maybe the Fight Network thinks it can recoup some money from the tape library?

I look forward to the book version of how all this went down, I still think it will be a "Death of TNA" story sooner or later. They were a profitable company when they were on Spike. I think the big 3 mistakes were spending big money on talent (when there was plenty of indy guys and WWE castoffs who would love the national TV exposure), hitting the road for house shows, and most hilariously, lying to Spike about their employment of Vince Russo, which led directly to their cancellation there.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #6333
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Well,maybe at the level it eventually peaked at but it really wasn't an horrible notion when this was simply a fledging uncertain idea from Jerry Jarrett.

I mean, the promotion initially had dancers suspended above the corners of the ring in cages for cryin' out loud. They spent, what, at least a year living up to the not-so-subtle suggestion the name carried.

Ah yes, the days of Wednesday PPV, The Johnsons, and the Dupp Brothers. With them having lasted this long, and produced a current WWE champ, it's definitely more than anyone had reason to expect from how it started.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #6334
Suicane75
Coordinator

2010. Spike gave them Monday night head to head with Raw. They had Hogan & Flair.
And the first two hours of that show was filled with guys not being able to get out of a ridiculous cage structure, Hulk Hogan announcing he'd been in the back all day (despite the first hour showing his limo on the way to the arena about 10 times), The Nasty Boys, Val Venis, Hall, Nash & Waltman. They popped a huge rating, and everyone watching laughed and never tuned back in.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #6335
molson
General Manager

Anthem Sports & Entertainment and Impact Ventures Announce Credit Relationship | Fight Network

Fight Network announces that they have "provided a credit facility to TNA to fund operations" and that Corgan is out.

I guess that means they have an ownership interest too, though they just argued in court that credit-for-ownership deals are unethical and illegal in Tennessee.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #6336
General Mike
Pro Starter

Great NXT Takeover show last night. Revival vs #DIY had a match of the year contender. Joe vs Nakamura was really good as well.

I don't expect as much from Survivor Series tonight, but with a 4 hour card, hopefully we can get some fast paced action in the elimination matches.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #6337
Suicane75
Coordinator

Gargano/Chiampa Vs Revival is my favorite feud in forever. It's the perfect combination of old school booking/storytelling with modern athleticism. And it's going to culminate with the most beautiful turn.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #6338
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Gargano/Chiampa Vs Revival is my favorite feud in forever. It's the perfect combination of old school booking/storytelling with modern athleticism. And it's going to culminate with the most beautiful turn.

I get it, but why does the turn have to happen in NXT in the near future? Revival should be on the main roster tomorrow. Come in and beat Slater/Rhyno for the title on day one.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 11-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #6339
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't expect as much from Survivor Series tonight, but with a 4 hour card, hopefully we can get some fast paced action in the elimination matches.

Besides Kalisto winning the Cruiserweight title to move all those guys to 205 Live, is there a match Smackdown should win tonight? You can't have them lose the womens or tag match because they need to be the stronger showing on RAW. I guess there could be a Dusty Finish with the 5-on-5 involving Taker but don't care to think about that. I would be pleased if someone takes out Shane before the match and we get Cena or Taker as the 5th but I think he will somehow last until the final 3 and someone will pull some tricks.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #6340
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Gargano/Chiampa have been so dialed in for months, and Revival is not only doing great work but I get the extra kick of seeing a guy I watched in NWA Anarchy when he was green as grass do so well. "Steven Walters" becoming Dash Wilder borders on mindboggling to me.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #6341
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

The sad part is I'm sure the Revival will be wasted on the main roster at this time. Those guys are pure 80's classic territories heel, and I love it. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing Vince would appreciate sadly.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #6342
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Besides Kalisto winning the Cruiserweight title to move all those guys to 205 Live, is there a match Smackdown should win tonight? You can't have them lose the womens or tag match because they need to be the stronger showing on RAW. I guess there could be a Dusty Finish with the 5-on-5 involving Taker but don't care to think about that. I would be pleased if someone takes out Shane before the match and we get Cena or Taker as the 5th but I think he will somehow last until the final 3 and someone will pull some tricks.

Smackdown should win every match. Much better show.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 11-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #6343
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I get it, but why does the turn have to happen in NXT in the near future? Revival should be on the main roster tomorrow. Come in and beat Slater/Rhyno for the title on day one.

Agree but I'd also say the same for Samoa Joe. What's the point of him on NXT anymore?
Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #6344
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Well that was some interesting booking....
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #6345
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

that was....unexpected
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #6346
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I'd be pissed if I was one of the full-timers
Old 11-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #6347
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I gotta say, I like the finish of the next-to-last match as it relates to one of the subplots they're trying to sell. I don't know what I think of that storyline just yet tbh, but I like the way they went about advancing the story.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #6348
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think I'd be pissed if I was one of the full-timers

Why? That match and result basically guarantees eyeballs on RAW tomorrow, something that can't be said in the last few months.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #6349
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Why? That match and result basically guarantees eyeballs on RAW tomorrow, something that can't be said in the last few months.

Because Brock buried all the full-timers over the last couple years and then gave the rub to a 50-year old who will maybe wrestle a few matches anymore. If I was busting my ass 300 days a year, I'd want that win over Brock. Imagine what it would have done for someone like Rollins or Ambrose.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #6350
RainMaker
General Manager

Kendrick is really good.

Brian Kendrick is on a mission against Kalisto at Survivor Series - YouTube