Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #6301
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'd love the idea, but, c'mon:

A test group of 102?!? Like, that's one large hospital's worth of COVID patients. Could we try something a little more rigorous before running it to market?

I will be shocked(!) when it turns out it's more like 85% accurate, which is kindof a big damn deal.

SI

You're a glass half empty guy aren't you

Com'on, this is a big-enough-of-a-win to celebrate some even if it is only 85% accurate.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #6302
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad we're working towards a fast test. And, yes, 85% would be something. But, c'mon, a 102 person test and not validated by the FDA (which is rushing to fast track stuff as is)? That's awful science. Wait 2 more weeks and test hundreds more. It's not as if we're lacking for test subjects when we have tens of thousands getting infected daily.

Scientifically, it's maybe a step above, say, using a 42 patient study with disparate cohorts to prove a particular drug works to cure an ailment.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #6303
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The U.S. is pulling out of a multi-nation effort to produce a vaccine and going alone.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #6304
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's because Trump is forcing through a vaccine and wants to take total credit for it before the election.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #6305
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Rock has announced he's gotten the covid.

Here's wishing he drops the People's Elbow on it.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #6306
spleen1015
Coordinator

Old 09-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #6307
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

That....doesn’t sound good.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #6308
AlexB
Pro Starter

Similar story recently about a top French rugby team, but lung damage

Coronavirus: Stade Francais rugby players develop lung lesions after contracting COVID-19 | World News | Sky News

Edit: although after a bit more reading up on what lung lesions are, and how they are caused / treated, this one falls into the overly scary headline. Benign lung lesions often form after pneumonia, and are easily treated with antibiotics

Last edited by AlexB : 09-03-2020 at 12:19 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #6309
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fuck this fucking virus. Heart damage. Lung damage.

What the fucking fuck.

Stop being such a stupid fucking virus.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #6310
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sure a certain segment of the population will be like "Life's full of risk and uncertainty. Play on!"
Old 09-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #6311
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm sure a certain segment of the population will be like "Life's full of risk and uncertainty. Play on!"

There's always been a decent number of people willing to risk your life for their own gain

SI

Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #6312
Kodos
Resident Alien

Or even just for their entertainment.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #6313
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That....doesn’t sound good.

I'm curious if that rate is any different for non-athletes? I'm guessing they didn't get the expensive MRI test.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:37 PM   #6314
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So the sexy new COVID theory (I mean a science-based one, not some bullshit peddling one like the 6% thing) is around something called bradykinin (which, honestly, I'd never heard of before yesterday):

Is a Bradykinin Storm Brewing in COVID-19? | The Scientist Magazine®
https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

SI

Old 09-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #6315
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I'm curious if that rate is any different for non-athletes? I'm guessing they didn't get the expensive MRI test.
Yeah, that was the crux of what spurred my comment. We’re not far enough into this thing to have even an intuitive feel for long-term impacts, and the great majority of people who are infected and recover aren’t getting an MRI.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #6316
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Kirk Cousins says hello.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #6317
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Yeah, that was the crux of what spurred my comment. We’re not far enough into this thing to have even an intuitive feel for long-term impacts, and the great majority of people who are infected and recover aren’t getting an MRI.

Hopefully, these are short term problems that will heal, but we just don't know. Will these heart problems linger for athletes? Will it shorten careers? Does it raise the risk of early death? Maybe we don't need to assume the worst case, but I think we need to take precautions because we don't know what it is coming for people five, ten, thirty years down the line.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #6318
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

don't choose to live in fear, man!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #6319
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
don't choose to live in fear, man!

I usually have the urge to punch those folks in the face.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #6320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I usually have the urge to punch those folks in the face.

them and the "it's just the flu, people!" people are funny. I know the flu is theoretically deadly but it literally never enters my calculations. This isn't super deadly or anything but all those unknown side effects are enough to give me pause.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #6321
bhlloy
Coordinator

We spent all weekend with our friends who are covid deniers and “it’s just the flu” - plus they know a nurse and they don’t have any covid patients so it’s a big hoax.

My answer to that was basically sure it’s the flu - if we didn’t have 100 years of knowledge on how to treat and care for at risk people who have the flu or any vaccine for said people. I mean let’s not forget that the worse pandemic in modern history was “just” the flu.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #6322
Kodos
Resident Alien

So was Captain Trips.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-03-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #6323
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Let alone that as far as I can tell anybody who thinks "it's just the flu" isn't even accounting for the concept of ANOTHER ongoing flu when they say that.....they think that saying "covid is just the flu" somehow means (results-of-covid)+(results-of-flu)=(results-of-flu).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-03-2020 at 03:52 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #6324
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So was Captain Trips.

Summer colds are the worst

SI

Old 09-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #6325
Ksyrup

Local news station posted an article about a Canadian health expert recommending people wear masks during sex, and someone commented: "Does a ball gag count"? Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #6326
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #6327
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article on the covid impact on real estate in cities. Basically people are moving out of bigger cities like NY, Boston, LA, SF and going to cheaper places like suburbia or even lower cost of living states like FL.

I love to visit NYC but can't imagine living there long-term in an apartment that is 1/3 the size of my house in Atlanta at 2-3 times the cost.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/31/succe...rbs/index.html
Quote:
Signed contracts for sales of condos and co-ops in Manhattan, for example, plunged nearly 60% in July, while contracts for single-family homes in areas outside of New York City skyrocketed, according to a recent report from brokerage firm Douglas Elliman and Miller Samuel.

Similar shifts are playing out in suburban areas around other major cities. Norfolk County, outside of Boston, saw a 38% increase in new contracts for single-family homes in July over last year, according to Compass. Collin County, Texas, outside of Dallas, saw a 58% increase. San Bernardino County, outside of Los Angeles, saw a 62% jump and Marin County, outside of San Francisco, saw a 77% increase over last year.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #6328
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I have mentioned before, but the Real Estate market here is insane. Houses don't last two days on the market.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #6329
Izulde
Head Coach

OTOH, I'm starting to see some early signs of a housing market crash in Las Vegas. It might just be people way overvaluing their properties initially, but I'm seeing a lot of places get price drops lately.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #6330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We live on the Jersey Shore, about an hour south of NYC. Train station to NYC 5 minutes away. Bus station 5 minutes away. Beach 5 minutes away. Real estate here is flying. Friend listed her deceased fathers house and got an offer for full asking price, 560K, the same day they listed it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #6331
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

How Covid-19 Coronavirus May Cause Heart Damage, Here Are Two New Studies

Quote:
They followed up with 100 patients in the State of Hesse (which rhymes with “bench press”) who had previously tested positive for the SARS-CoV2.

For the study, these patients underwent MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of their hearts and blood testing to check for evidence of heart damage. This didn’t happen right after their Covid-19 coronavirus diagnoses but a median of 71 days afterwards, which is over two months after the initial diagnosis. These also were people who were still fairly young at heart, literally, with the median age being 49 years old. Many of them hadn’t gotten super-sick either, as two-thirds of the patients hadn’t even been hospitalized.

Nevertheless, the MRIs did show that 78% of the patients had some type of abnormality in their hearts. These ranged from signs of inflammation to enlarged left ventricles to decreased ability of their hearts to pump blood to the rest of the body. Many of these findings were consistent with patients having myocarditis or pericarditis.

And you know what ? Most of them will be fine for years. But any sort of heart damage is not sth i would want to start carrying around any more/earlier than necessary. Kinda need that thing humming smoothly, as well as them lungs, for quality of life i'd say.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-05-2020 at 03:20 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #6332
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

And you know what ? Most of them will be fine for years. But any sort of heart damage is not sth i would want to start carrying around any more/earlier than necessary. Kinda need that thing humming smoothly, as well as them lungs, for quality of life i'd say.

I get that heart damage is a side effect. While I haven't done extensive research, I haven't seen anything that tells me being a member of a college football team increases the risk of either contracting COVID-19 or having more significant impacts from it. Therefore, having on campus college or not is the question but if you decide to have students on campus then you should also allow football. I don't think having students on campus is the right thing, but I think you should make a consistent decision between your general student population and your athletes.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #6333
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I have mentioned before, but the Real Estate market here is insane. Houses don't last two days on the market.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I assume you are referring to Covington which is midway between Atlanta and Augusta? I wouldn't think there is substantial house price or COL difference between Atlanta and Covington.

What do you attribute the hot market to? Is it people moving away from Atlanta or not a lot of houses for sale because people are sitting tight?

I went on zillow to check my house valuation. It hasn't budged much if at all and there hasn't been a lot of recent sales (red dot markers). I am a little surprised because during the GR there were noticeably many more zillow red dots in the neighborhood.

Just one data point that indicates that this melt down isn't quite as bad as the GR (or at least, not yet) to homeowners. I am guessing that commercial real estate (as in office space) will be substantially hurt as companies renegotiates to reduce their sq ft in 2-3-4 years.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #6334
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get that heart damage is a side effect. While I haven't done extensive research, I haven't seen anything that tells me being a member of a college football team increases the risk of either contracting COVID-19 or having more significant impacts from it. Therefore, having on campus college or not is the question but if you decide to have students on campus then you should also allow football. I don't think having students on campus is the right thing, but I think you should make a consistent decision between your general student population and your athletes.

Football observes far fewer of the masking/distancing rules than is expected from the general student population. Many "normal" college activities are not taking place this semester. For example, I'm not able to produce a play due to safety concerns for the actors/crew.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #6335
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How does Hesse rhyme with "bench press"?
Old 09-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #6336
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I assume you are referring to Covington which is midway between Atlanta and Augusta? I wouldn't think there is substantial house price or COL difference between Atlanta and Covington.

What do you attribute the hot market to? Is it people moving away from Atlanta or not a lot of houses for sale because people are sitting tight?

I went on zillow to check my house valuation. It hasn't budged much if at all and there hasn't been a lot of recent sales (red dot markers). I am a little surprised because during the GR there were noticeably many more zillow red dots in the neighborhood.

Just one data point that indicates that this melt down isn't quite as bad as the GR (or at least, not yet) to homeowners. I am guessing that commercial real estate (as in office space) will be substantially hurt as companies renegotiates to reduce their sq ft in 2-3-4 years.
I am dealing mostly with Conyers-Covington-Loganville-Monroe-Madison. All of those areas seem to be selling like hot-cakes. I am mostly seeing people moving out of Atlanta, or people that may have went north of Atlanta last year, but choose to move here instead because of the house pricing being lower. All the people that are selling (almost every single one) are looking to move further out (Madison mostly). They all seem to want the same thing, a few acres to build a house on that is not in a subdivision. I think only 10-20% already have a place in mind to move to when they sell. They have no idea that trying to buy less than 100 acres or more than a half acre lot in a subdivision is almost impossible out there.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-05-2020 at 08:40 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #6337
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm guessing that most if not all, of these people had not had MRIs before, so we don't know for sure that these conditions were not present beforehand too, especially those that will have no effects for years to come (and therefore if they were present pre-Covid would not have given any reason for the people to got to the doctors or have an MRI)

The only way we know for sure is to do MRIs for people who had already had MRIs before they were sick with Covid
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #6338
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They have no idea that trying to buy less than 100 acres or more than a half acre lot in a subdivision is almost impossible out there.

Everyone who has land wants to sell it to a developer for the $$$. (Or in the case of 100+ acres, keep it farmland, I suppose.)
Old 09-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #6339
miked
College Starter

My brother lives in Bloomfield, a suburb of NYC right next to where we grew up (Montclair). He listed his house at 370k last week, probably a little under market. Went away for a few days to the shore and had 58 showings in the first 4 days and 12 offers. Ended up getting a contract at $430k with the buyer saying they would ignore the first 3k of inspection issues (if any) and would cover an appraisal difference up to $415k.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #6340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just don't get it - where are the wages coming through to justify this because real wages are not moving like the real estate market is

SI

Old 09-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #6341
miked
College Starter

There are a ton of people with jobs that are leaving NYC. They are tired of paying big rent and can work from anywhere.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #6342
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I just don't get it - where are the wages coming through to justify this because real wages are not moving like the real estate market is

SI

I think the scenario is people currently paying rent/mortgage in a big, expensive city moving to cheaper suburbia because they are now allowed to work remote. Wouldn't be surprised if they save money by moving to suburbia.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #6343
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
There are a ton of people with jobs that are leaving NYC. They are tired of paying big rent and can work from anywhere.

Which makes sense and I agree, but the weird thing is we're seeing houses moving like hotcakes in LA as well (2 of our friends have moved and got well above offering and part cash).

The 2 scenarios I can think of that make a little sense are either prospectors betting on a big rebound in 2021 or people who are moving out of expensive neighborhoods closer to LA to the Valley (because of remote work) but either way, we've seen the same and I have no idea who is buying 2 million dollar houses above asking prices in the middle of a pandemic, and it doesn't line up with the stats that show people leaving LA and California in droves.

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-05-2020 at 04:56 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #6344
Edward64
Head Coach

I'll assume there was plenty of orientation about the rules and warning about dismissal if violated. Even so, if this was their first violation, I would be inclined to give them a no-third chance warning and have them quarantine themselves.

Don't agree about the keeping the $36,500 tuition if kicking them out though. Glad to see schools taking this seriously. I'll have to ask my kids about how serious their colleges really are.

bars
Quote:
Northeastern ousts 11 students for violating safety protocols, and keeps their $36,500 tuition.

In one of the harshest punishments imposed to date against students for violations of coronavirus safety protocols, Northeastern University dismissed 11 first-year students this week and declined to refund their $36,500 tuition after they were discovered crowded into a room at a Boston hotel serving as a temporary dormitory.

About 800 students are staying in two-person rooms at the hotel, the Westin, which is less than a mile from Northeastern’s Boston campus.

Two university staff members making rounds on Wednesday evening discovered the gathering, which violated university rules against any “guests, visitors or additional occupants,” the university said in a news release.

In addition, the students were not wearing masks or practicing social distancing, in defiance of university requirements, a university spokeswoman, Renata Nyul, said.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #6345
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Only schools like Northwestern can get away with that. Less prestigious schools can't get away with stuff like that.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #6346
Ksyrup

My old company learned the remote working lesson from Superstorm Sandy. They had a ton of office space in Manhattan but saw how effectively most people worked from home for several months when they had to, and during the next year took steps to get out of leases and use the remaining office space for "hotelling" people in and out of the office when needed.

Fast forward several years, and I talked to a guy who is based just outside NYC who is interviewing for my old job. He said the biggest appeal of it is that they will let him work anywhere he wants, so he and his wife are looking at it as an opportunity to pick any place in the country to move if he takes the job, and they have no interest in staying in or around NYC.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #6347
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My cousin is one of those who moved out of nyc. Her long time boyfriend is high risk and they were uncomfortable with the impact of being in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #6348
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think the scenario is people currently paying rent/mortgage in a big, expensive city moving to cheaper suburbia because they are now allowed to work remote. Wouldn't be surprised if they save money by moving to suburbia.

Yep. Once my townhouse sells in Vegas (which has been no end of drama and expense and fuck the lazy shitstain asbestos tester when I bought the place - costing me almost $5,800 which pretty much wipes out all the profit I'll get from selling) and I buy the place here in town, my monthly housing costs go from $1,000 a month to like $350 a month. So that's $650 a month in my back pocket. Plus with the two jobs (teaching and copywriting), I'm making more money than I ever have before.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #6349
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I'm guessing that most if not all, of these people had not had MRIs before, so we don't know for sure that these conditions were not present beforehand too, especially those that will have no effects for years to come (and therefore if they were present pre-Covid would not have given any reason for the people to got to the doctors or have an MRI)

The only way we know for sure is to do MRIs for people who had already had MRIs before they were sick with Covid

Radiology technicians (i know a few) do plenty of MRIs for checkups every week. That percentage is insanely unusual in any group and would border on the most coincidental coincidence in history. You don't even get close to that when you suspect sth to be wrong and test that amount of people.

And on top of that the study authors are not laypeople just looking at numbers/checking yes/no boxes etc either, you can judge very well how recent inflammation and other damage etc is from the images. You can say with high certainty the damage ocurred in the same timeframe they had Covid.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-06-2020 at 04:13 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #6350
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Plus with the two jobs (teaching and copywriting), I'm making more money than I ever have before.

How is the copywriting business? Could you ever see that as bringing in the majority of your income one day?

I've read copywriting was something globe-trotting "digital nomads" can do (e.g. me in retirement).