Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #6251
Johnny93g
College Starter

My top flicks of the year so far:

All the Way- i talked about it above
Demolition- Jake Gylenhaal is a future Oscar winner. Dark Comedy he carries!
The Finest Hours- I enjoyed the story very much.
Race- Great Jesse Owens biopic

There are alot of movies coming up though that get me excited. I would imagine only All the Way has a chance to be in my year end top 10
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #6252
sabotai
General Manager

Edge Of Tomorrow - 6/10
Fun sci-fi movie. Pretty much dismissed it when I saw the trailer way back when, but added it to me watch list after seeing positive reviews about it. Thought the aliens were pretty cool. Visual effects were great. The ending was a let down, though.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-08-2016 at 08:59 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #6253
sabotai
General Manager

Inside Out - It made me cry!!! 1/10

Spoiler
Old 07-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #6254
Groundhog
Coordinator

Zootopia - 9/10

Well, that was unexpected. I had no idea what this was about before watching, and it might be the most difficult issue I've seen an animated movie tackle... After what's been happening the last week or so, the theme was pretty darn apt. Still, they found the right balance between humour & seriousness IMO, and I think both adults and kids would enjoy this one.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #6255
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Edge Of Tomorrow - 6/10
Fun sci-fi movie. Pretty much dismissed it when I saw the trailer way back when, but added it to me watch list after seeing positive reviews about it. Thought the aliens were pretty cool. Visual effects were great. The ending was a let down, though.

Thought it was a pretty fun movie and one of the better sci-fi ones I thought in recent years. I like Tom Cruise as an actor.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #6256
sabotai
General Manager

The Hateful Eight - 8/10
Not much to say really in terms of saying whether you should watch it or not. If you like Tarantino films, you'll probably like this. If you don't, you probably won't. As for me, the question is if I'll like a Tarantino movie or love it. This one is right on the border of like and love. I had one big problem with it that I'll spoiler.

Spoiler
Old 07-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #6257
Groundhog
Coordinator

I picked a bad time to watch Hateful Eight.... late at night, with the wife trying to sleep next to me. Missed too much of the dialogue.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #6258
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Zombeavers: 80 Out Of 100 Stars
Well I'll be dammed! A mishap involving some toxic waste has some rather interesting results on the local wildlife population in this superbly written and acted sex comedy.

Jenns boyfriend has cheated on her, so her besties Zoe & Mary take her on a girls weekend away to a secluded lakeside cabin. They aren't there long before their boyfriends, and other predators, show up and start causing havoc.

30 seconds in you know you're in for a good time. The writing is crisp and funny and all the performances are top notch. Of course, being a film about zombie beavers, you know there's going to be gads of silliness, but the film takes itself just seriously enough for the chases and kills to be equally as engaging as the boobs and the sex.

While obviously a little more on the insane side, Zombeavers reminded a lot stylistically of the original Lake Placid. It's very well shot, looks good, and never feels at all claustrophobic, even though much of the action takes place in a small area. The effects, while obviously cheesy, work in that they fit the exact tone of the rest of the film

Surprisingly smart and wickedly clever, Zombeavers takes what could have easily been a one note joke and churns out an engaging and humorous romp about love, friendship, and the buck toothed undead.

Watched this last night. I agree... it was well done stupidity. To paraphrase Leslie Nielsen: "Nice beavers."

Last edited by Kodos : 07-17-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #6259
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Edge Of Tomorrow - 6/10

This was on TV last night, and I watched it again because I couldn't remember what happened at the ending. I agree, it was a bit of a let down - it felt like they realised they only had 5 minutes of screen time left post-boss fight, and had to wrap it up as quickly as possible.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:58 AM   #6260
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Saw two movies in the theater this weekend.

The Infiltrator - 6/10
The storytelling isn't good but Cranston is great. Maybe I'm just getting worn out from drug shows and movies that this didn't do a whole lot for me. Had some good tense moments but a fairly forgettable movie. Wish it had a better script and better director because it had potential to be great. Reminds me of a movie like The Iron Lady that was mostly a bad story but had an amazing actor behind the lead.

Ghostbusters - 4/10
Pretty standard formula for a reboot. Mimic the script and lots of fanservice to the original. Hemsworth was surprisingly great despite me never really liking his work in the past. I also thought Kate McKinnon was really funny and Leslie Jones had her moments. Not a fan of McCarthy at all and while I normally like Wiig, this part just doesn't fit her at all. With the cast and budget they had they should have just written an original script. I was looking forward to this but it's not really good and probably just worth a Redbox rental someday instead.

Probably won't be back to the theaters till Suicide Squad comes out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 AM   #6261
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Forgot I also watched Everest on HBO this weekend too.

Everest - 4/10
Was kind of surprised this got such good reviews. The visuals are great but that's about it. Too many characters to keep track of and you never really care about any of them all that much. It's also really tough to follow the characters and what they're doing. Part of that is where they are shooting and how everyone is bundled up, but a few times I had to pause to figure out who exactly was doing what. Probably would have been better if they just focused on Rob and Doug. Jake Gyllenhal's character seemed to be a waste as well as some of the others who got caught on the mountain.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #6262
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ghostbusters - 7/10: THAT is how you do a comedy reboot. It was familiar, yet also very new. More of a Ghostbusters "origin story" in a world like ours as opposed to a world where people are aware of ghosts. The leads had fantastic chemistry together and Kate McKinnon is a national treasure (I have thought just from her SNL performances, but this cements it). It was an hilarious movie with laughs throughout and some fantastic cameos. Not a classic, simply because it is reboot and hits the same beats as the original, but definitely one of the best summer blockbuster comedies in a while.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #6263
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Zootopia - 9/10

Well, that was unexpected. I had no idea what this was about before watching, and it might be the most difficult issue I've seen an animated movie tackle... After what's been happening the last week or so, the theme was pretty darn apt. Still, they found the right balance between humour & seriousness IMO, and I think both adults and kids would enjoy this one.

This was a fantastic film on racism and similarly I had little idea what this about either before I went in. I watched it a few weeks ago, but forgot to rate it... so put me down for 9/10 as well on it... maybe more.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #6264
sabotai
General Manager

Rundown of the Best Picture nominees from the last Oscars that I've seen recently.

The Big Short - 8/10

Really liked this movie. I thought the acting was really good and I think Steve Carrell could be shaping up to be this generation's Tom Hanks. Someone who spent 10-15 years almost solely on comedy, starts dabbling in drama roles and it turns out the guy's a great actor. I also thought it was clever how they broke the fourth wall.

The Revenant - 9/10
One of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. The directing and cinematography were outstanding.

Spotlight - 7/10
Quintessential "good, not great" movie. Acting was good. Directing was okay. Script was good...just, I didn't see anything great about the movie.

2016 Best Picture nominees
1. The Revenant - 9/10
2. The Big Short - 8/10
3. Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10
4. The Martian - 7/10
5. Spotlight - 7/10

Still have Bridge of Spies, Room and Brooklyn to see. Room in on Amazon Prime so I'll probably watch that next. Bridge of Spies and Brooklyn will both cost me more money. Bridge of Spies looks like a movie I'll enjoy so I'll rent that, but Brooklyn does not, so I'll probably just hold out until (if) that makes it to one of the services.

Also,
10 Cloverfield Land - 5/10
Okay movie. It was fairly predictable, there were a few big issues with it (one in the spoilers), but John Goodman is really great at playing a crazy person.

Spoiler
Old 07-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #6265
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe Brooklyn is coming to HBO soon, so if you have HBO or HBO Now it won't cost you anything additional. It's a beautiful film, btw.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #6266
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I believe Brooklyn is coming to HBO soon, so if you have HBO or HBO Now it won't cost you anything additional. It's a beautiful film, btw.

Yeah. HBO Now, Amazon and Netflix.

Movies I watched yesterday

Bridge of Spies - 7/10
Room - 8/10

2016 Best Picture nominees
1. The Revenant - 9/10
2. Room - 8/10
3. The Big Short - 8/10
4. Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10
5. Bridge of Spies - 7/10
6. The Martian - 7/10
7. Spotlight - 7/10

Breaking it down a bit.

Best Story - Room
Most Entertaining/Fun - Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Work of Art - The Revenant

With just Brooklyn to go, it was IMO a strong year for the Best Picture category. (Not that I've been good at watching all the nominees in previous years)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #6267
Groundhog
Coordinator

Green Room - 7/10

A band gets a gig at a skinhead venue, accidentally witnesses a murder, then has to try and escape. Really good idea, but the execution was just OK, and sometimes very graphic. I just didn't find how it played out very believable. Patrick Stewart absolutely nailed the skinhead leader part though. It didn't even click for me that it was him until like halfway through the film because it was so unexpected.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #6268
korme
Go Reds

Me, a 50something lady, a 50something couple, and a 60something man were all the people that tuned into the theater to watch SWISS ARMY MAN. 20 minutes in, the single lady left. About an hour in, the single man gave up and left. Only the couple and I stuck it out for the whole movie. The shtick kind of got tiresome, I missed what everyone is saying about the amazing ending. Wasn't there for me. Too bad, I really enjoy Paul Dano and Daniel Ratcliffe.
5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #6269
Edward64
Head Coach

Star Trek Beyond - 7/10

Enjoyed the first half more than the second. Liked how they portrayed the human elements of space travel/exploration.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #6270
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Green Room - 7/10

A band gets a gig at a skinhead venue, accidentally witnesses a murder, then has to try and escape. Really good idea, but the execution was just OK, and sometimes very graphic. I just didn't find how it played out very believable. Patrick Stewart absolutely nailed the skinhead leader part though. It didn't even click for me that it was him until like halfway through the film because it was so unexpected.

Gonna catch this in the next day or two. It's from the same guy who made Murder Party & Blue Ruin, two very different but equally stellar movies, so I'm expecting big things. And the premise is delightfully twisted.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:45 AM   #6271
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Green Room - 7/10

Agree completely with you on this one. It felt unnecessarily convoluted and I'm still trying to come up with a good reason that the bad guys made it so hard on themselves. It was almost like the old batman thing where the villain gives Batman all the time and necessities in the world to escape when he could just kill him on the spot.

Also, none of the protagonists were fleshed out enough to really give a crap about. I didn't want anyone in the band to die, but when someone did die, it wasn't exactly like I cared too much either.

Fairly disappointed, although the writing and Stewarts performance were both very good, just didn't do it for me as a coherent story.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #6272
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Star Trek Beyond - 8/10: A good exploring, going-where-no-one-has-gone-before sort of Star Trek movie, which included some really good character building (especially between Bones and Spock). Definitely a little too much 'shaky-cam' in the fight scenes, but the story (written by Simon Pegg) was good and the effects were excellent. Far, far, far better than Into Darkness. Looking forward to what they'll do next, esp since the actor playing Checkov passed away.

The Big Short - 9/10: I LOVE 4th wall breaking movies and I had no idea this was going to invoke that tactic so much. I really enjoyed bringing in random celebrities to explain complex financial stuff. In addition, the cast was fantastic, and I still can't believe that half of that stuff actually happened. When synthetic CDOs were described, I was just as floored as Steve Carrell's character. A fantastic film that made me really angry with the financial industry (which I guess was the goal).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-02-2016 at 03:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #6273
revrew
Team Chaplain

Star Trek Beyond - 7/10: Entertaining, funny at times, good to see the whole gang back together again. Some cool visual effects and a likeable new character; action and alien/exploration angle were good. Downgraded a bit for lack of philosophical/emotional depth and an underdeveloped villain. Good popcorn/date/summer movie fun.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #6274
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's probably my nostalgia for the original Star Trek speaking, but at this point I just kinda want a Star Trek HBO series or something where they explore the universe and interact with some classic races, rather than a big blockbuster where the shit hits the fan again.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #6275
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Star Trek Beyond - 8/10: A good exploring, going-where-no-one-has-gone-before sort of Star Trek movie, which included some really good character building (especially between Bones and Spock). Definitely a little too much 'shaky-cam' in the fight scenes, but the story (written by Simon Pegg) was good and the effects were excellent. Far, far, far better than Into Darkness. Looking forward to what they'll do next, esp since the actor playing Checkov passed away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Star Trek Beyond - 7/10: Entertaining, funny at times, good to see the whole gang back together again. Some cool visual effects and a likeable new character; action and alien/exploration angle were good. Downgraded a bit for lack of philosophical/emotional depth and an underdeveloped villain. Good popcorn/date/summer movie fun.

These two reviews completely nail the new Star Trek movie. I give it a solid 7.5
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #6276
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
It's probably my nostalgia for the original Star Trek speaking, but at this point I just kinda want a Star Trek HBO series or something where they explore the universe and interact with some classic races, rather than a big blockbuster where the shit hits the fan again.

Agreed 100%. And honestly the current cast would probably work well with this.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #6277
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well there is the new CBS All Access Star Trek series planned for next year.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #6278
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Anyone going to see Suicide Squad this weekend?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #6279
Groundhog
Coordinator

As soon as I heard they were reshooting Suicide Squad to make it funnier and then released the commercial with the retro music ala Guardians of the Galaxy, I knew this was going to be a complete train wreck.

Last edited by Groundhog : 08-04-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #6280
korme
Go Reds

CAFE SOCIETY
Woody can still be a great storyteller. Jesse Eisenberg does his best Woody Allen impression most of the movie, though at times he forgets about it and just acts like Jesse Eisenberg, so I gotta ding it for that. But overall it's a very simple, easy story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Can't always say that anymore with Woody movies. 7/10
Old 08-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #6281
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone going to see Suicide Squad this weekend?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/

28% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's about the same as Batman vs Superman.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #6282
Groundhog
Coordinator

Speaking of that movie...

Batman vs Superman - 2/10

That's probably being generous. Just dull from start to finish, and I was barely paying attention the last third of the film. Also, I need to see Batman's parents murdered again about as much as I need to see Peter Parker bitten by a radioactive spider.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #6283
tarcone
Coordinator

Why cant DC match Marvel in its movies?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #6284
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/

28% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's about the same as Batman vs Superman.

I haven't agreed much with RT of late, especially when it comes to action movies. Ghostbusters got good reviews and it kind of sucked. They also liked Thor 2 and I thought that was trash. Civil War which was alright was rated way higher than I thought it should.

I'll probably end up just seeing the new Bourne movie because it won't be as packed as Suicide Squad and I love Bourne movies. I don't know much about comic stuff either, Suicide Squad just looked different and has a good cast. Definitely want to see it at some point.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #6285
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

That's probably being generous. Just dull from start to finish, and I was barely paying attention the last third of the film. Also, I need to see Batman's parents murdered again about as much as I need to see Peter Parker bitten by a radioactive spider.

Agreed. Just a trainwreck of a movie.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #6286
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Suicide Squad - 3/10

The movie was bad even if I thought it was an interesting concept. I know some like Leto's Joker but I think it's the worst one yet. Just trying way too hard to be different and edgy. No depth to the character, no background story, and he basically served no purpose in the movie. And the actress who played Harley Quinn was great but the character could have been so much better. Again, no depth to her in the movie and they kind of turned her into the comic relief. I don't know the comic lore or anything but isn't she supposed to be a really complex character?

It probably works as a dark psychological action movie. But as Groundhog said, they sort of tried to copy Guardians of the Galaxy without the charm.

Big blockbuster movies have been a huge disappointment this Summer.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #6287
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Suicide Squad - 3/10

The movie was bad even if I thought it was an interesting concept. I know some like Leto's Joker but I think it's the worst one yet. Just trying way too hard to be different and edgy. No depth to the character, no background story, and he basically served no purpose in the movie. And the actress who played Harley Quinn was great but the character could have been so much better. Again, no depth to her in the movie and they kind of turned her into the comic relief. I don't know the comic lore or anything but isn't she supposed to be a really complex character?

It probably works as a dark psychological action movie. But as Groundhog said, they sort of tried to copy Guardians of the Galaxy without the charm.

Big blockbuster movies have been a huge disappointment this Summer.

When they announced the reshoot on the heels of Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool's success, I knew the movie would suck. Sounds like their main issue with these DC movies is that the studio won't just leave shit alone.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #6288
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Agreed. Just a trainwreck of a movie.

I finally saw this last week. I watched the extended version which was very, very long.

That said, I think Affleck is easily the best Batman we've scene on screen to date. The fight sequence when he took out those goons was fantastic. Much better Batman action scene than anything we've seen to date. Affleck/Batman was easily the best part of the movie.

Lex Luthor was as a stupid and lame as expected. His plan made no sense.

Superman just brooded and looked constipated.

Doomsday was totally shoe horned into it at the end.

Wonder Woman was great, but completely tacked on.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #6289
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 08-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #6290
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I kinda enjoyed the movie. Great special effects and lots of action. It may be that I grew up more on DC than Marvel but don't think it was that bad. I would rate it 7/10.

Wonder Woman was great! Much better (and more bad ass) than Linda Carter.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-21-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #6291
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I finally saw this last week. I watched the extended version which was very, very long.

That said, I think Affleck is easily the best Batman we've scene on screen to date. The fight sequence when he took out those goons was fantastic. Much better Batman action scene than anything we've seen to date. Affleck/Batman was easily the best part of the movie.

Lex Luthor was as a stupid and lame as expected. His plan made no sense.

Superman just brooded and looked constipated.

Doomsday was totally shoe horned into it at the end.

Wonder Woman was great, but completely tacked on.

Agree with everything. Affleck was fantastic as batman, but that was the only redeeming part of this movie IMO.

Eisenberg was so bad it was distracting. Every time he was on screen it felt like he was overacting.

DC still can't figure out what to do with Superman onscreen. He's been poorly done since Superman 2.

Doomsday was almost as terrible as Deadpool in the Wolverine movie.

Wonder Woman made no sense.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #6292
korme
Go Reds

There are so many things I want to see that are out right now.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #6293
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kubo and the Two Strings - 10/10: Just an absolutely perfect animated film! The company, Laika has done stop motion films before incredibly well (Coraline, ParaNorman), but this was just absolutely gorgeous! Some really, really fantastic visuals, especially in the fight scenes. And the story was quite a beautiful one regarding sacrifice and family. Definitely not dumbed down or made less frightening because it was animated (I may advice that younger kids may not be the best to bring to the film since some things may give them nightmares). Some really great voice acting as well, though I would have liked to have at least one Japanese actor as one of the leads - it's a bit strange to have a story of ancient Japan and hearing the voices of Matthew McConaughey or Charlize Theron (both did great jobs, but still). I was absolutely enthralled the entire time and if this doesn't win the Best Animated Film Academy Award then there is no justice in the world (even though I really enjoyed Finding Dory, it doesn't hold a candle to this one, and Zootopia was great, but a distant 2nd this year).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-24-2016 at 11:14 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #6294
Groundhog
Coordinator

Glad to hear Kubo is solid. I love Japanese history, especially the period just after Kubo seems to be set.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #6295
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Kubo and the Two Strings - 10/10: Just an absolutely perfect animated film! The company, Laika has done stop motion films before incredibly well (Coraline, ParaNorman), but this was just absolutely gorgeous! Some really, really fantastic visuals, especially in the fight scenes. And the story was quite a beautiful one regarding sacrifice and family. Definitely not dumbed down or made less frightening because it was animated (I may advice that younger kids may not be the best to bring to the film since some things may give them nightmares). Some really great voice acting as well, though I would have liked to have at least one Japanese actor as one of the leads - it's a bit strange to have a story of ancient Japan and hearing the voices of Matthew McConaughey or Charlize Theron (both did great jobs, but still). I was absolutely enthralled the entire time and if this doesn't win the Best Animated Film Academy Award then there is no justice in the world (even though I really enjoyed Finding Dory, it doesn't hold a candle to this one, and Zootopia was great, but a distant 2nd this year).

Kubo was impressive throughout. Easily the best film from Laika studios. Emotional, funny, solid story and good pace. Very imaginative and incredible visuals.

FUCK EA
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #6296
Atocep
Coordinator

Warcraft 6/10 - I had low expectations for both this movie and Batman v Superman. I don't know if Warcraft is a better movie or not, but I certainly enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Batman.

It's not a cinematic masterpiece. Hell, it's debatable as to whether or not you could even consider it a good movie. However, if you've played wow for any amount of time it should be a fun movie to watch.

Some of the CGI is really bad, but some of it outstanding. I thought Toby Kebbell had a standout performance as Durotan while Ben Foster was really disappointing as Medivh. It doesn't follow the WoW lore exactly, but it's close enough and probably makes more sense for something condensed into 2 hours on screen.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #6297
korme
Go Reds

Saw Indignation and Hell or High Water this past week. Both were very good, near if not at the very top of my list so far this year. Thoughts on both later.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #6298
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Saw Indignation and Hell or High Water this past week. Both were very good, near if not at the very top of my list so far this year. Thoughts on both later.

Hell or High Water has me quite interested.

FUCK EA
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #6299
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I saw Sausage Party last night. I generally like Seth Rogen et al, but that movie sucked. It would be decent as a 15-20 minute YouTube short or something, but it was probably the first sub-90-minute movie that I kept thinking "it's almost over now, right?". And yeah we get it, the food is raunchy, but just saying shit and fuck in almost literally every sentence makes it lose all effect.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 08-31-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #6300
sabotai
General Manager

Brooklyn - 4/10

With the caveat that this is not my kind of movie. If you like romance movies, this would be one you'd probably like, especially if you like period pieces. The issue with this movie, and just about every romance movie I watch, is that at around 2/3rds of the way through, I completely lose any empathy for the characters and I just don't fucking care if they end up together or not. The movie has to create enough conflict and drama that the status of their relationship by the end of the movie is in question, and it just makes me eventually go "Fuck it. You did this to yourself you fucking idiot. I'm done." The same was true for this one. Didn't care.