Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #6201
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Coworker tested positive for Covid today. So I was tested and sent home to quarantine for 2 weeks. I'm supposed to get test results back in 24-72 hours.

Hope you are okay Atocep.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #6202
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hope you're good Atocep.

Thanks for the well wishes on the FIL.

MIL says he's better today, but she thinks she has it now. She's a bit of a drama queen though so it could be an act. We'll see.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #6203
Atocep
Coordinator

Wife ended up not getting the quick test. She went with the lab test as well hoping that a negative from both of us allows her to go back to work. I'm at home for 2 weeks regardless.

The only thing I have is some very slight congestion and slightly running nose that I wouldn't think much of otherwise because I do get bad seasonal allergies at times.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #6204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The only thing I have is some very slight congestion and slightly running nose that I wouldn't think much of otherwise because I do get bad seasonal allergies at times.

As a "seasonal" (read: many times, year round) allergy sufferer, the number of times I have played "COVID or regular allergies?" this year has been way too many.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-20-2020 at 05:38 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #6205
Atocep
Coordinator

My test came back negative. Which considering how close I work to the person that tested positive along with the fact that he visited my house last Friday it's likely what I had at the beginning of March was Covid.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #6206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lots of reports trickling out about people getting Covid at Sturgis and bringing it back to their state. Color me surprised.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #6207
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
My test came back negative. Which considering how close I work to the person that tested positive along with the fact that he visited my house last Friday it's likely what I had at the beginning of March was Covid.

wow, glad you are "ok" now
Old 08-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #6208
Edward64
Head Coach

Got my haircut recently.

There was a stylist wearing mask (great), face shield (okay) and protective glasses (a little too much IMO). Everyone I saw inside the mall was wearing a mask.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #6209
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My wife has pretty much perfected my haircut during the last 4 months. She's given me 6 haircuts, saving us about $120. That's one of those things that's definitely changed for me because of the pandemic. I'll probably get a professional haircut every now and then, but why spend the money when the wife can do it for free?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #6210
Edward64
Head Coach

Monitoring worldometers. FWIW, even with increasing cases, it does seem we are "stabilizing" at 1,100 to 1,200 deaths.

Hopefully, this means we are doing a better job treating people and our health system is quite as strained.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #6211
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My wife has pretty much perfected my haircut during the last 4 months. She's given me 6 haircuts, saving us about $120. That's one of those things that's definitely changed for me because of the pandemic. I'll probably get a professional haircut every now and then, but why spend the money when the wife can do it for free?

My wife gave me one after 6-7 weeks (normally 4 weeks for me) during the height of the crisis. Good enough but not great.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #6212
Edward64
Head Coach

Dola.

Hand sanitizers is one thing I cannot find at Krogers, always empty shelves. My local CVS has sanitizers sitting on tables near the entrance. I've been back a week apart and no problem either time.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #6213
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's funny, we've had various kinds of sanitizer at ours, but today was the first day since March that I've seen any kind of liquid hand soap.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #6214
Edward64
Head Coach

Fascinating experiment in progress. Kudos to Leipzigians (?)

The US did the mass get-togethers but unfortunately didn't have any good data to share.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...ntl/index.html
Quote:
Leipzig, Germany (CNN) — Ever since the coronavirus pandemic shuttered clubs, bars and concert halls around the world, music fans have been dreaming of the day they can once again visit a busy, sweaty venue to enjoy a gig with friends.

With infection rates rising in many European countries, this dream could be far off for now. But some music fans in Leipzig, Germany, have been given the chance to rock for a day in the name of science -- with the help of some glowing hand sanitizer and electronic trackers.

Researchers in the German city of Leipzig staged a 1,500-person experimental indoor concert on Saturday to better understand how Covid-19 spreads at big, busy events, and how to prevent it.
:
:
Using data from the contact trackers, scientists from The University of Halle will monitor the number "critical contacts" had by each participant during specific times and locations, while the residue left by fluorescent hand gel will identify frequently touched surfaces. Researchers hope to use the data to find ways to bring big events, including sports, back safely.
:
:
Organizers around the world have been dipping their toes into the water to see when and how live events can be brought back in a world still suffering from the coronavirus pandemic -- in the UK, event organizers trialled concerts at an outdoor, purpose-made socially distant concert venue, where patrons sat in small groups on distant, raised platforms.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:17 AM   #6215
Edward64
Head Coach

Debatable which thread this belongs in.

If true, probably here. If false, in either the Trump or the Coronavirus political threads.

I'm hoping it's true.

Trump to announce 'breakthrough' coronavirus therapeutic, White House says | TheHill
Quote:
President Trump will announce a “major therapeutic breakthrough” on the novel coronavirus at a news conference Sunday evening, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany tweeted.

“News conference with President @realDonaldTrump at 6 pm tomorrow concerning a major therapeutic breakthrough on the China Virus,” she tweeted late Saturday, adding that Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Dr. Stephen Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, would attend the event.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #6216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Color me skeptical. If I would venture a guess I suspect its something that Trump owns a stake in.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #6217
spleen1015
Coordinator

Its going to be the My Pillow dude's miracle cure.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #6218
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I would not even be a little surprised.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #6219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's a possibility. Real medical research is incompatible with surprise announcements from the WH. The question is whether this will be a real, though limited, therapeutic that has data to show efficacy or Dr. Trump's Miracle Oil. I don't think the head of the FDA would do a presser for oleandrin, but who knows?
Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #6220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So yesterday Trump is crushing the FDA and today they are doing a joint press conference? I'm sure its nothing like a scenario where the FDA found something promising but needs more testing and Trump is insisting on bringing it to light the day before the RNC. Can't be anything like that.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #6221
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So yesterday Trump is crushing the FDA and today they are doing a joint press conference? I'm sure its nothing like a scenario where the FDA found something promising but needs more testing and Trump is insisting on bringing it to light the day before the RNC. Can't be anything like that.

Cynical me says this is what's happening. Lower odds but let's hope for some real good news.

I won't begrudge Trump if his business has some interest in it if its a real therapeutic.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #6222
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

This would really suck but yeah, fair chance this is it.

You would think if there was a real promising therapeutic that some news would have leaked by now.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #6223
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Fascinating experiment in progress. Kudos to Leipzigians (?)

The US did the mass get-togethers but unfortunately didn't have any good data to share.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/g...ntl/index.html

Germans have been into human trials for a long time.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #6224
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Not really, Kodak, some people say, already cured it, but we're not allowed to talk about it, that's why we're trying to give them nearly a billion dollars for it.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #6225
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
You would think if there was a real promising therapeutic that some news would have leaked by now.

Shhhhh....you can't say hydrox------chloro---stuff without all of social media blocking you forever and then the FDA makes you infertile as punishment. I've knew someone who said it was true.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #6226
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Germans have been into human trials for a long time.

To be fair, from what I've read this is voluntary human trials.

If Fauci and Birx aren't going to be at the news conference, it probably isn't much of anything.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #6227
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cynical me says this is what's happening. Lower odds but let's hope for some real good news.

I won't begrudge Trump if his business has some interest in it if its a real therapeutic.

Those are two of the options but far from the only. I think the most likely candidate is some "drug" he found on OAN with sketchy scientific results, questionable efficacy, and some hidden side effects that he can slap his name on (as mentioned upthread) "Dr. Trump's Miracle Oil", a genuine, bonafide tonic!

I mean, hell, there's a non-zero chance he sterilizes a significant portion of his voting population out of the gene pool, for chrissakes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-23-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #6228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

I mean, hell, there's a non-zero chance he sterilizes a significant portion of his voting population out of the gene pool, for chrissakes.

SI

We can only hope
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #6229
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Scott Gottlieb thinks it's a plasma product that's already being used on 70000 patients and has some, but limited effect.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #6230
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Scott Gottlieb thinks it's a plasma product that's already being used on 70000 patients and has some, but limited effect.

But it's something magical he's never heard of (what's a plasma?) so he can easily be duped into it as a cure-all

SI

Old 08-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #6231
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
But it's something magical he's never heard of (what's a plasma?) so he can easily be duped into it as a cure-all

SI

"So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous Plasma blast, whether its very powerful light or just standing in front of your TV, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the Plasma inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And now they tested it and it works. I tested it too, i sit before my TV a lot and didn't get the Virus as you know."

Seriously, there is not a shred of a chance he or anybody in the White House has exclusive access to results from a properly done and properly reviewed study of anything. So either it is some random annecdotal study done with twisted parameters or sth everybody already knows about but also knows it is a small part of the puzzle of treatment.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-23-2020 at 10:56 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #6232
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

Following the crumb trails, I wonder if it is around this topic the FDA Released mid last week: Recommendations for Investigational COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma | FDA

Quote:
Although promising, convalescent plasma has not yet been shown to be safe and effective as a treatment for COVID-19. Therefore, it is important to study the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 convalescent plasma in clinical trials.

Would make sense that Trump didn’t necessarily get around to bashing the FDA until 3 days later since he was pre-occupied trying to blame Obama for his shortcomings as the DNC was going on.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #6233
kingfc22
Head Coach

And that was as easy as it gets. The obvious answer is always the answer with this clown. He does not play 4-D chess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...nt-plasma-okay

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-23-2020 at 04:02 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #6234
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched first 20 min or so and heard the FDA guy speak. He seemed genuinely positive about the plasma treatment and reduction in 35% mortality while cautioning "if the data holds up".

Unlike hydroxychloroquine which many panned early-mid-late, there has been historical success with plasma treatment and a quick google doesn't show much "it won't work" but more "could work, we need more data".

My layman's mind assumes it will help significantly (e.g. 35%), maybe not the magic bullet we all want, but another tool in the arsenal as other therapeutics (and vaccines) come on line.

Futures had small negative losses but after the speech the market is up .20% so guess that shows some optimism.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #6235
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dr. Hahn seriously misstated the data when he said if 100 people got COVID 35 would get better with plasma. The study says that the 7 day death rate dropped 35% from around 11% to around 7%. Hard to imagine someone at that level not understanding the numbers.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #6236
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Futures had small negative losses but after the speech the market is up .20% so guess that shows some optimism.

What it shows is idiocy of both individuals and the system of "the market" as currently structured.

Right now with the data available (if you can call it that) i could not tell you if this ends up any more sustainable as any of the other breakthroughs and i doubt anybody in any way involved in "the market" can either. Many will be banking on the hype alone, others cynically and rightly asuming that duping half (well, more like 1/3) of the country is enough to keep things rolling.

35% as a result sounds cool, but right now there is no way to check the actual parameters of who in what condition was given the treatment at what stage and what else they were given (there was a Hydrochloroquine study showing great success which turned out to coincide with the Hydrochloroquine group also mostly getting a steroid, which the controll group largely did not get, that was actually proven effective a few weeks earlier). Or what happened after those 7 days ... Or what number the 35% is derived from (the smaller the total, the less valid).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-23-2020 at 08:53 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #6237
kingfc22
Head Coach

He probably doubles down after every lost round of blackjack as well.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #6238
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Dr. Hahn seriously misstated the data when he said if 100 people got COVID 35 would get better with plasma. The study says that the 7 day death rate dropped 35% from around 11% to around 7%. Hard to imagine someone at that level not understanding the numbers.
My understanding that 35% number against another type of plasma, not a control group. They are still a long way from showing if it is really effective at all.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #6239
miked
College Starter

These things are so underpowered, it is anyone's guess.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #6240
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/busin...rnd/index.html

Another thing covid has taken away from us.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #6241
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/busin...rnd/index.html

Another thing covid has taken away from us.

Saw that. Pretty stupid reason (if that really is the reason).
Old 08-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #6242
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

556 cases at Alabama after the first week of classes.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #6243
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Saw that. Pretty stupid reason (if that really is the reason).
It states right in the article that it's a clever marketing campaign. Kudos to whoever came up with it.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #6244
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
556 cases at Alabama after the first week of classes.

Still gonna have SEC football though.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #6245
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

CDC changes guidelines to say you shouldn't get tested unless you have symptoms, even if you have known exposure to someone with COVID.

I never would have thought we'd just ignore a catastrophe like this.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #6246
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
CDC changes guidelines to say you shouldn't get tested unless you have symptoms, even if you have known exposure to someone with COVID.

I never would have thought we'd just ignore a catastrophe like this.

People want to get back to doing stupid shit outside.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #6247
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And Trump wants the number of cases to go down heading into the election.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #6248
Atocep
Coordinator

I believe there's also a shortage of tests due to the next stimulus sitting in limbo. I know where I work has significantly cut testing due to a shortage. Anyone that claimed to have contact was able get tested. Now you have to show symptoms.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-26-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #6249
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Here you can just drive in without symptoms or referral.
Ive had 3 done for work purposes.
They also give you results in 20 minutes while you wait.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #6250
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Here you can just drive in without symptoms or referral.
Ive had 3 done for work purposes.
They also give you results in 20 minutes while you wait.

Any holdup or shortage in test funding is going to directly affect the hospital I work at since it's a federal facility. They also only offer lab testing there. My wife, however, was able to go to urgent care and easily get tested with no symptoms. it took her 4 days to get the results back, though, compared to the roughly 20 hours it took me to get notification.