Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #6001
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Been watching lots of movies while the kids are outta town.

Jurassic World- 7/10

The typical, "maybe we should do this..." and something stupid happens-kinda stuff. Expected. The young kid and Chris Pratt were the only smart people in the entire movie. I didn't care for the aunt, she irritated me. She did about a marathon's worth of running... in heels? C'mon. Good comic relief in the control room. There were certain scenes though, that were downright terrifying. The dinosaur scenes boosted my rating a couple of points. All in all, it was entertaining.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #6002
Edward64
Head Coach

San Andreas - 7/10. A good fun movie with the Rock. I would have given it an 8/10 but thought the relationship aspect was somewhat of a distraction (and lost cause with the Rock). The special effects were fantastic.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #6003
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Mad Max 9/10

Minor plot spoiler
We have to go from point A to point B. Now we are going back to point A. And it will be awesome the whole way.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #6004
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Trainwreck- 6/10 Had some really good moments, and was better than most rom-coms. However, Amy Schumer went soft halfway through the movie, and it bordered on a cliche story. It was also way too long, but that's more of an Apatow problem I think.

Cena was hilarious.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #6005
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Godzilla (2014) - 2/10

This movie is a real pile of shit! Every scene just feels like a cliche, so you just have nothing but a pile of complete archetype characters saying completely generic movie things at each other. Tons of things that make no logical sense whatsoever, and no character to care about.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #6006
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

It was a Jump Street marathon weekend! I actually didn't really care to watch, but my wife convinced me it would be worth it as she saw the first one already.

21 Jump Street

Not at all what I expected, but in a good way. Very funny and a decent enough story with some homage to the original TV series. Ice Cube is one of the better characters.

8/10

22 Jump Street

More of the same. Ice Cube steals the show. More inside jokes and sequel jokes.

7/10

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #6007
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Godzilla (2014) - 2/10

This movie is a real pile of shit! Every scene just feels like a cliche, so you just have nothing but a pile of complete archetype characters saying completely generic movie things at each other. Tons of things that make no logical sense whatsoever, and no character to care about.

Best review in this whole thread!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #6008
Johnny93g
College Starter

Recent things i've watched without a whole lot of explanation:

True Story- 6/10

Maggie- 6/10

Danny Collins- 8/10

Insurgent- 5/10

Woman in Gold- 7/10

Get Hard- 6/10

Chappie- 4/10

Unfinished Business- 6/10
TML
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #6009
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Recent things i've watched without a whole lot of explanation:

Woman in Gold- 7/10

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Woman in Gold as well. Of course, Helen Mirren is pretty awesome, but it worked for me.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #6010
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

There is something excessively hot about Helen Mirren.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #6011
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
There is something excessively hot about Helen Mirren.

Which is why she is on my list.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #6012
Grover
Pro Starter

Old Boy - 10/10 (Korean version, not Spike Lee's mess)

Nightcrawler - 8/10

The Warriors - 8/10

Last edited by Grover : 07-29-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #6013
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Saw Jurassic World on a whim tonight.

5/10.

I give it a 5 only because my friend and I were able to enjoy the ending, we got what we wanted there with the final showdown. We cheered even, because it meant that we nailed our prediction on how it would end. The action was decent. Chris Pratt was solid.

The problem I have with the movie is a major one though, and something that is becoming more and more prevalent in movies today. The writing was total shit. The movie was predictable, we were able to select the people who would die right off the bat. predictable deaths and plot points are a minor nit pick though. The big issue with the writing is that it made absolutely no sense and the characters were all idiots. There is no way in hell that a park full of real dinosaurs would ever have a problem luring visitors first off. Secondly, there is no way in hell, after suffering such devastating disaster upon opening the park 20 years ago, that anyone would ever make such incredibly stupid choices with how they operate the park going forward. Now the movie tries to make the line of thinking legit by having Chris Pratt come to "inspect" the dwelling of this new dinosaur they created, but come on, seriously. I can get that this was a movie based on action, but so was Jurassic Park. The difference is that Jurassic Park's plot had a much more believable catalyst. It had character development. It had likable and interesting characters aside from just one person. Jurassic World has none of that. Chris Pratt is kind of cool, and that's it. The love interest is a dumb woman with no redeeming qualities, the kids in the film might as well have been nameless and faceless, I cared about neither of them. The person I cared about the most aside from Pratt (who you know will not die) was the minor one played by Omar Sy, and that is only because he knew that the things happening in the park were fucked up and he still had to deal with the mess these dumb asses created. He didn't deserve to deal with the shit these morons brought upon themselves. He was too smart to be in the movie.

Ultimately, I don't think its too much to ask that a movie have good action AND be well written. Make the disaster happen despite every precaution being taken. Make me care about the characters involved. The problem is that Hollywood thinks good writing is superfluous and it makes me sad for the state of humanity. We should be asking for more than just "turn your brain off" popcorn flicks for the price we pay to see these films. We should demand more from our blockbusters. It is depressing that we clearly do not. This was a B movie with a budget, it got by on nostalgia and effects, and it made bank so the cycle perpetuates itself.

This was maybe the 3rd best Jurassic Park film, and just barely better than Jurassic Park 3. It was Twister with dinosaurs and dumber people.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-31-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #6014
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Mad Max Fury Road - 9/10 - If you're going to make an action flick.. Well, if you're going to make an action flick that is just purely wall to wall action, forget about it. You can't top this.

This was a 2 hour chase scene, one of the best chase scenes ever filmed. Ridiculous, over the top, but well within the realms of the Mad Max universe. I must have said "holy shitballs" at least 6 or 7 times when I did manage to catch enough breath to do something besides let my mouth hang open in awe. It was eye crack, head spinning, pulse raising fun. If Jurassic World was ONLY dinosaur fights and explosions, it might have been almost as good as Mad Max was. Almost.

FUCK EA

Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #6015
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It Follows - 8/10 - I didn't expect to like this movie. Instead I got some of the most beautiful visuals ever filmed in any film, let alone a horror film. I got a soundtrack that just saturated the film with this nostalgic sound, yet gave it a fresh feel at the same time. The external sensations provided by the music and the visuals served to take the average feel of the plot from "just another horror film" to something a little more transcendent for the genre, and that is a lot to ask of horror these days. This is not lowest common denominator cookie cutter stuff, this is a familiar box with unfamiliar contents that I feel like I might reopen several times just for the atmosphere. I didn't really want it to end.

FUCK EA

Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #6016
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

The Warriors - 8/10

I hope they never remake The Warriors. I feel like someone out there probably wants to, and I hope they decide not to.

FUCK EA
Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #6017
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Straight Outta Compton - 8/10

Great movie. Covered the startup, rise and fall of the band.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #6018
rjolley
College Starter

Ant Man - 7/10

Solid superhero origin story, better than the first Thor or Captain America movies, but not as good as the first Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy movies. They made good use of Paul Rudd's acting and comedy chops and the story fit in with the rest of the MCU. They tied him into the Avengers and introduced a new character for future movies. It bridges the gap to Captain America next year and makes up for a sub-par Avengers movie from earlier this year.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #6019
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wreck-It Ralph - 8/10: I thought this was a quite good Disney film which encompassed the idea of being yourself regardless of how the rest of the world sees you (which, yes I guess is a common Disney trope, but it was a bit different here). I think it also added the interesting (for Disney) idea that you have a role to play in helping your friends realize who they actually are - building them up instead of stomping all over them - the Vanelope and Ralph friendship is probably one of the best in all Disney. Also, lots of fun old video game references made it super enjoyable. And great voice acting as well.

Edge of Tomorrow - 9/10: What an awesome underrated flick! I know it's been described as Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers but it really is much more than that. For one, it actually described why he's living the entire day over in a way that totally worked with disbelief suspension. The way they did the repeating of the day storyline was very good - they never got to the point where the repetition got boring. Tom Cruise was fantastic in the role (he really is a good action star) and Emily Blunt was great as well. And there were some surprisingly emotional parts - stuff that you wouldn't necessarily think about, if someone is reliving a war scene over and over again you could totally see would take a toll. Really great film!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #6020
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Edge of Tomorrow - 9/10: What an awesome underrated flick! I know it's been described as Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers but it really is much more than that. For one, it actually described why he's living the entire day over in a way that totally worked with disbelief suspension. The way they did the repeating of the day storyline was very good - they never got to the point where the repetition got boring. Tom Cruise was fantastic in the role (he really is a good action star) and Emily Blunt was great as well. And there were some surprisingly emotional parts - stuff that you wouldn't necessarily think about, if someone is reliving a war scene over and over again you could totally see would take a toll. Really great film!

Totally agree with this one. I definitely think after some time more people will come around to this movie that did not care for it much the first time. Lately I have watched this and John Wick quite a few times while flipping channels.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #6021
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

John Wick was also quite fun. I love stylized-action movies. Makes them a lot more fun than the traditional action ones (the stylized ones have a lot more of, 'holy crap, what just happened' stuff).
Old 08-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #6022
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The only issue I had with Edge of Tomorrow was the ending. It was confusing and way too Hollywood-convenient. Everything else about the movie was terrific.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #6023
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
The only issue I had with Edge of Tomorrow was the ending. It was confusing and way too Hollywood-convenient. Everything else about the movie was terrific.

I agree about the ending.

I had some issues with Edge of Tomorrow overall. First, the aliens were pretty forgettable. They weren't that interesting and all of that talk about Alphas and Omegas and whatever just seemed like jibberish without much context. I had a much better sense of the aliens from Starship troopers than these.

The men and women from Tom Cruise's little troop were also completely forgettable. At the end, they were making all of these heroic sacrifices, but I didn't really know one from the other, so it all had zero emotional impact on me. A lot of noise and fury signifying nothing.

Emily Blunt was great. I could watch her do that push up for hours and hours and hours...

I've seen it on cable a few times since I saw it in the theaters and have liked it more and more, but still think there are some areas that could have been improved.

I'd say it's about a 7/10.

I'd also give John Wick a 7/10. Very enjoyable little action flick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #6024
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I thought the ending was actually perfect and thematically appropriate. It wasn't Hollywood...

Spoiler
Old 08-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #6025
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Straight Outta Compton - 8/10

Great movie. Covered the startup, rise and fall of the band.

Totally agree, crammed a lot into the movie and ran the gamut of emotions, with some really funny moments in there. I knew I would probably enjoy it, but was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. 9 of 10 from me.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 08-18-2015 at 01:34 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #6026
Grover
Pro Starter

Ex Machina - 10/10

WOW. What a film.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #6027
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

For once, I actually agree with your score and review. I watched this recently and thought it was likely the most clever action movie I had ever seen.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #6028
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #6029
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Edge of Tomorrow - 9/10

I wouldn't go as high as a 9, but I did enjoy this one quite a bit.

Incidentally, my wife loves this film, just for that montage where Tom Cruise gets killed over and over and over and over and over in quick succession. She giggles herself right off the couch every time she sees it!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #6030
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be honest, I struggled with rating it a 10/10 or a 9/10. Maybe I should have 9.5ed it... but I don't like half scores.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #6031
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Ex Machina - 10/10

WOW. What a film.

Thanks for the endorsement. I'm using gift cards to get more movies and needed some more ideas and even though I am not sci-fi, Ex Machina sounds intriguing. Mad Max is on my list for next week.

Movies in my stack to watch: Winter's Bone, Imitation Game, Fearless and Pursuit of Happyness. Also finally got my home theater set up and looking to get blu-rays of my favorites (particularly the Zhang Yimou and Woo-Ping Yuen movies) but more interested in Director's Cuts.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #6032
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I liked Ex Machina a lot. That Oscar Isaac has impressed me a couple times as a very engaging actor, it looks absolutely fabulous, and does a really good job setting the suffocating tone of a good sci-fi thriller. It does touch on themes that have been done before, but that's hardly unique these days, and it's about as done-right as any (relatively 'hard') science fiction thriller of the last 20 years.

It's also relatively small scale/stakes both in terms of focus (relative to universe/galaxy/world threatening space operas, time travel, superheros, etc.) and literally in terms of the size of the cast & setting, which I appreciate, and might appeal to folks who don't traditionally bond with sci-fi, like Bucc.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #6033
sabotai
General Manager

Mad Max: Fury Road - 8/10
As high as I'll go for a movie that's just simply a roller coaster ride and throws character development and plot out the window. Probably the best "dumb" action movie I've ever seen.

Interstellar - 7/10
Cinematography and visual effects were top notch. I thought it started out great, but just got worse as it went on. Most of the plot twists were just too obvious. I knocked it down a point due to my annoyance at having to rewind and put the captions on in a few scenes because of how loud the soundtrack was...

Ex Machina - 9/10
For pretty much all of the reasons everyone else has already stated. Best 2015 film I've seen so far.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #6034
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Mad Max - Fury Road - 8.5/10
I would go one step up from sabotai in saying that there were more characterizations than I expected. I seem to be always interested in the how they make movies (particularly those not relying heavily on CGI) and the many 'Making of..' extras were fun to watch, along with the movie itself of course.

Ex Machina - 7.5/10
Robots are typically one of my three turnoffs in movies (along with aliens and zombies) but this one intrigued me. I found it refreshing that it wasn't yet another mass robot uprising or robot battles (ugh) but something much more psychological. I found it intriguing that we tend to fall into the same trap as the protagonist and therefore, are left with conflicting thoughts and emotions. The lower score is due to a few unnecessary scenes, particularly some of the ending ones, imo.

Pursuit of Happyness - 8/10
I like 'based on true events' character movies and found this easily to be Will Smith's best performance. Some liberties from the true story of rags to riches (the real story is fascinating to read).

Ever After - 8/10
Older (1998) but fun movie offering a spin on the Cinderella (Drew Barrymore) story that surpasses any of the sappy ones that Disney has ever done.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #6035
Grover
Pro Starter

Wrong thread for this... but nowhere else to put it.

Cannot wait to see this film.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #6036
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong thread for this... but nowhere else to put it.

Cannot wait to see this film.

You could......

Make your own thread? Crazy concept, I know.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #6037
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Call the thread "The What Are You Getting Hyped For Thread"

FUCK EA
Old 09-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #6038
PilotMan
Head Coach

I didn't think it was that great when I first saw it, but it's so damn subtle sometimes, and has so many great lines that it's rapidly moved up my laugh list. A Million Ways to Die in the West is one of my current fav movies.

People die at the fair.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 AM   #6039
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I didn't think it was that great when I first saw it, but it's so damn subtle sometimes, and has so many great lines that it's rapidly moved up my laugh list. A Million Ways to Die in the West is one of my current fav movies.

People die at the fair.

Yeah I liked it, but doubt I would see a movie like that in the theater. I figured the Mustache song was a MacFarlane play to try to grab an Oscar, but that song is actually about 150 years old.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #6040
Groundhog
Coordinator

Avengers: Age of Ultron - 3/10

Worst superhero movie I've seen since Iron Man 3.

Thanks for the Beasts of No Nation post - had not heard of it. Been watching Idris Elba in Luther on Netflix and he's now on my 'must-see' list with anything he does.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #6041
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
You could......

Make your own thread? Crazy concept, I know.

Oh Abe, you clever shrew.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #6042
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Avengers: Age of Ultron - 3/10

Worst superhero movie I've seen since Iron Man 3.

Thanks for the Beasts of No Nation post - had not heard of it. Been watching Idris Elba in Luther on Netflix and he's now on my 'must-see' list with anything he does.

Elba is fantastic. I've been a huge fan ever since The Wire.

I would love to see him replace Daniel Craig as James Bond when that time comes.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #6043
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Visit - 5.5/10

I'll admit, I've always been a big fan of Shyamalan, but after seeing "The Happening," I was ready to divorce from his fan club forever. And until now, everything he's made since has convinced me that was the right call.

But with "The Visit," he's found his way back to making a decent movie (along the lines of "The Village," though I'd rank Village higher than Visit, simply because the quality of the cast was so much better).

From a moviemaking perspective, Visit was actually more clever and original than Village, but the child protagonists are tough to live with. This is a movie you really need to be ready to laugh at. Especially all the times Shyamalan sets you up to be scared, and then you aren't. Laugh at yourself for getting suckered. But then it takes its classic Shayamalan twist, and it gets spooky, and it's worth the ride.

Not a great movie, but a fun enough diversion if you go in with a lighthearted attitude.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #6044
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
The Visit - 5.5/10

I'll admit, I've always been a big fan of Shyamalan, but after seeing "The Happening," I was ready to divorce from his fan club forever. And until now, everything he's made since has convinced me that was the right call.

But with "The Visit," he's found his way back to making a decent movie (along the lines of "The Village," though I'd rank Village higher than Visit, simply because the quality of the cast was so much better).

From a moviemaking perspective, Visit was actually more clever and original than Village, but the child protagonists are tough to live with. This is a movie you really need to be ready to laugh at. Especially all the times Shyamalan sets you up to be scared, and then you aren't. Laugh at yourself for getting suckered. But then it takes its classic Shayamalan twist, and it gets spooky, and it's worth the ride.

Not a great movie, but a fun enough diversion if you go in with a lighthearted attitude.
My wife and I saw it last night. On it's own, I agree with your review. It's a fairly pedestrian story with a few shock factors thrown in and a nice twist. But in a packed theater on a Saturday night, with people screaming, it made for a heck of a fun and entertaining night for us. Nothing wrong with a movie that delivers nothing more than some plain old goofy fun.

Last edited by heybrad : 09-13-2015 at 07:53 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #6045
Johnny93g
College Starter

I really enjoyed Love and Mercy the other day.

I know nothing about the Beach Boys, so i had no knowledge of this story before hand.

Paul Dano was very good, but i loved John Cusack's performance. To me, his best in years. I'm pretty sure this one will be on my year end top 10 list. Love it.
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 09-14-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #6046
Suicane75
Coordinator

2015 Horror Fest: Varsity Blood: 8 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

2015 Horror Fest: The Babadook: 74 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

2015 Horror Fest: Inisidious: 58 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

Last edited by Suicane75 : 10-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #6047
Suicane75
Coordinator

2015 Horror Fest: I Spit On Your Grave 3: 28 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

2015 Horror Fest: Pinup Dolls On Ice: 33 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

2015 Horror Fest: Deathgasm: 59 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler

2015 Horror Fest: Insidious, Chapter 2: 41 Out Of 100 Stars
Spoiler
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #6048
Groundhog
Coordinator

Agree 100% with your take on Babadook. I liked it just fine, but for a 98% fresh movie on RT (at least it was at the time I watched it), I was a bit underwhelmed.

I watched it right after another Aussie movie named 'These Final Hours' (2013) which didn't help its cause. THAT was a powerful movie... Not really horror, but just so damn bleak.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #6049
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pan - 2/10
Simply put, it was forgettable. There wasn't much life to the characters, the plot was generic as all hell, and there was way too much special effect nonsense. And don't even get me started about giant crowds of people in Neverland singing Nirvana in unison.

I really wanted to like this movie, and it was almost entirely terrible.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #6050
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Agree 100% with your take on Babadook. I liked it just fine, but for a 98% fresh movie on RT (at least it was at the time I watched it), I was a bit underwhelmed.

I watched it right after another Aussie movie named 'These Final Hours' (2013) which didn't help its cause. THAT was a powerful movie... Not really horror, but just so damn bleak.

I've been meaning to watch These Finals Hours for a long time now, just haven't been in the movie watching mood. Hope to get to it soon. I've heard great things about it.