Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #551
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
You get bounced from the playoffs because of your offense. So you become disillusioned with the head coach, who is a defensive guy. Then replace him with the two people who are actually responsible for the loss, Gase/Manning.

Makes perfect sense to me.

No I agree with you I would get rid of all of them and blow it up. Let Manning , Fox, Gase and Del Rio go.But that is just me.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #552
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Tom Brady of New England Patriots respects John Harbaugh of Baltimore Ravens but defends plays - ESPN Boston

Quote:
Quarterback Tom Brady on Monday tried to soften his remarks regarding Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh's gripes after Saturday night's game but also made it clear that the New England Patriots are making no apologies for their approach.

On Monday, Brady seemed to go out of his way to soften that stance.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-12-2015 at 02:16 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #553
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think all team fanatics should take a 5 day waiting period before saying stuff like blowing up a team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #554
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN saying Manning played with a torn right quad. I agree he should retire if that game was the best he can do, but if this report is correct and he can get it right for next season, no good reason for him not to come back IMO.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #555
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Has Peyton ever played with a defense like New England had in 2000-2005? Everyone focuses on comparing the offensive skill position talent available to Manning - Brady, but neglects comparing defenses in the same era. The Patriots 2000-2005 had great players such as Bruschi, McGinist, Law and Rodney Harrison. Who did Indy's defense have during that time frame? Maybe Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney, but I struggle to recall any of their linebackers and secondary.

In most of the AFC Championship losses, it was Belicheck and that defensive talent stopping Manning, not Brady tearing a hole through the lesser quality Colts defense.

I'm not using the collective team as a gauge. Just defending Brady's stats being slightly worse than Manning's in the playoffs. He's had worse teams and played outdoors more.

Brady also played some great Jets, Ravens, and Steelers defenses. Not to mention the Giants in the Super Bowl twice.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #556
RainMaker
General Manager

I think the Broncos would be dumb to blow it up. They're still one of the top 5-6 teams in the league right now and I don't think that changes if they go into next season with this roster.

Try to make some upgrades on both sides of the ball and make one more run at it.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #557
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think the Broncos would be dumb to blow it up. They're still one of the top 5-6 teams in the league right now and I don't think that changes if they go into next season with this roster.

Try to make some upgrades on both sides of the ball and make one more run at it.
I agree...and they should also try running the ball more early in the season and not risk wearing out Peyton by throwing the ball 600 times.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #558
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I wonder if Luck-Wilson could grow into the next Brady-Manning rivalry?

I don'tthink so, not in separate conferences.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #559
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I agree...and they should also try running the ball more early in the season and not risk wearing out Peyton by throwing the ball 600 times.

This. See if you can nab someone like DeMarco Murray to pair with CJ Anderson. Then you go with a 65/35 run/pass ratio.

They also need to figure out if Osweiler can play. If not, they need a real option to back up Manning.

If Manning comes back, I say you play for a shot at one last Super Bowl then blow it up after 2015.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #560
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

I agree. I think you can have some issues with how Gase and Manning ran the offense yesterday, but think they have enough combined clout to write that off as a bad day and not need to blow it up. Originally, I was a lot harder on Gase than Manning, but I would probably make it closer to 60-40 after thinking a little more. I think the Broncos could have done a better job to put the injured Manning in a position to succeed (a la McCarthy and GB with Rodgers in the 2nd half), but I also think Manning has to look at this game as a lesson for him as well.

I think Peyton is very "robotic" when it comes to analyzing defenses and has been given a lot of leeway to audible (for good reason when you look at his career). However, as he gets older and/or injured, he also needs to have some realism in his decision making. There were a few 2nd/3rd and 7/8 situations yesterday where Indy was playing press coverage with a single high safety. Now, in a vacuum, the right football play is to try and hit the defense over the top with a 20-30 yard pass. However, given Peyton's handicap, the best probability move would have been to dump it to Anderson or a TE for 5-7 yards and the first down. I feel like Peyton is programmed to call the "correct" play for a given defense, but that may not be the best move if he's struggling to make the throws due to weather/injury (ie, yesterday or the Seattle super Bowl last year). I'm not sure that he is able to do that in the line of fire, though, and that could be an issue until he retires.

That's something I think Brady is very good at. I think Tom knows there are certain throws that he just isn't as accurate making, and has that as part of his decision making. It's also why I think Brady will continue to play at a higher level as he gets older (and it's something he doesn't really get a lot of credit for).
Old 01-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #561
RainMaker
General Manager

I know people are killing the playcalling but a couple of those plays were open and Sanders would have had 6 if Peyton made a good throw.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #562
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
This. See if you can nab someone like DeMarco Murray to pair with CJ Anderson. Then you go with a 65/35 run/pass ratio.

There you go! In fact, they should also sign Lynch and go with a three-headed Lynch, Murray, Anderson three-headed monster, with Hillman and Ball rotating in every other second down (there won't be any third downs for the Broncos).

They could also sign Dez Bryant and Jordy Nelson and pick up Fitzgerald when the Cards waive him. And then trade four 1st rounders for Megatron.

I'm sure this is all doable under the salary cap.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #563
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There you go! In fact, they should also sign Lynch and go with a three-headed Lynch, Murray, Anderson three-headed monster, with Hillman and Ball rotating in every other second down (there won't be any third downs for the Broncos).

They could also sign Dez Bryant and Jordy Nelson and pick up Fitzgerald when the Cards waive him. And then trade four 1st rounders for Megatron.

I'm sure this is all doable under the salary cap.

I was using Murray as an example since he's a known free-agent to be. But I'm sure that there are other free-agents out there that would fit the plan and give the Broncos plenty bang for their buck.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #564
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I'm not using the collective team as a gauge. Just defending Brady's stats being slightly worse than Manning's in the playoffs. He's had worse teams and played outdoors more.

Brady also played some great Jets, Ravens, and Steelers defenses. Not to mention the Giants in the Super Bowl twice.

Well you can't compare quarterbacks without looking at the whole team. Stop making generic statements and cherry picking. The Colts also played the Steelers, Ravens and Jets defenses in their primes, while Manning was in his prime. Additionally, Brady lost to Mark Sanchez, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. If you're going to give Brady credit for those times he was better than Manning, then you have to dock him for losing to those quarterbacks as well.

A quarterback's success has as much to do with coaching and the opportunities his defense gives him as offensive skill position talent. Similarly, I don't care if a QB has Gronk, Jerry Rice in his prime and Marvin Harrison, if the OL stinks, then the QB won't have time to throw to those glossy targets.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #565
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

John Fox out as Denver Broncos head coach - ESPN
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #566
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #567
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

apparently all the assistants have been told while they're still under contract that they are free to look for other jobs
Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #568
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Well you can't compare quarterbacks without looking at the whole team. Stop making generic statements and cherry picking. The Colts also played the Steelers, Ravens and Jets defenses in their primes, while Manning was in his prime. Additionally, Brady lost to Mark Sanchez, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. If you're going to give Brady credit for those times he was better than Manning, then you have to dock him for losing to those quarterbacks as well.

A quarterback's success has as much to do with coaching and the opportunities his defense gives him as offensive skill position talent. Similarly, I don't care if a QB has Gronk, Jerry Rice in his prime and Marvin Harrison, if the OL stinks, then the QB won't have time to throw to those glossy targets.

2002 Colts D - 7th in NFL
2005 Colts D - 2nd
2007 Colts D - 1st
2008 Colts D - 7th
2012 Broncos D - 4th

Also, I'm not sure when it was conclusively established that Manning has the slightly better playoff stats. I'd take the 46-23 TD to interception ratio with the 62.3% completion rate over the 38-24 ratio with a 64.0% completion rate any day, especially considering he has one less pick in four more games.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote