Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #551
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
he actually has a point.
Not really. As Lysacek points out, if it's all about the jumps then just have a jumping competition. It's about all the things that make up skating - jumps, spins, footwork, and wide range of artistic elements.

And to be clear, Plushenko landed all of his jumps, but many of them were wobbly and he barely pulled them out, whereas Lysacek's jumps were not only all landed, virtually all of them were nearly flawlessly executed.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #552
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
No clue, personally. It sounds like a crazier idea. As for whether it's safer or not, I have no idea.

SI
Granted I've never done it at Olympic speeds, but I wager it's safer because you can see where you're going and adjust course/slow down by dragging your feet more easily. And in the event of something going wrong you can much more easily tuck and protect your head/neck/spine. (Of course, I have a scar on my chin from 30 stitches received when I was tubing headfirst, so maybe my theories are wrong.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #553
BishopMVP
Coordinator

btw, does anyone get MSNBC in HD yet? Can I bitch at Comcast for having to watch USA-Canada in non-HD, or is NBC/Universal really dumb enough not to put marquee hockey games on a channel like USA or Universal that people get in HD?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #554
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm watching Norway-Switzerland on MSNBC HD right now. Sounds like a Comcast problem.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #555
whomario
Pro Starter

valid points, but you also have a worse balance, one on the course because you have more of the body weight being up front, two on the luge itself because of your legs being bottomside up and being draged upwards by the powers in the course and third because you have to steer by shifting your body more actively.
Steering a luge is way "easier" than steering a skeleton-sled.

Plus the things under the skeleton vehicle (seriously blanking here) arenīt as "pointy" as under a luge, much less traction on the ice and thus much tougher to maintain a steady ride.

All in all skeleton is much more shaky than luge. But yeah, obviously canīt be as dangerous as it looks but youve got to admit that it really seems very wrong to go head first

"slowing down" is kind of a relative thing when it goes from 145 to 130 kph by dragging your feet

Last edited by whomario : 02-20-2010 at 04:26 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #556
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
btw, does anyone get MSNBC in HD yet? Can I bitch at Comcast for having to watch USA-Canada in non-HD, or is NBC/Universal really dumb enough not to put marquee hockey games on a channel like USA or Universal that people get in HD?

Yep, have it in HD on Time Warner.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #557
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't get MSNBC in HD either. Not sure it's even shot in that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #558
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

During the 9th end McCormick choked, yet again, Britain couldn't come up with the big shot to close out the game in the 10th.. They had a 5-4 lead with the hammer against the US and the US came away with a point. Great stuff.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #559
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
btw, does anyone get MSNBC in HD yet?

Has been since last June.

from the wiki
MSNBC HD is a 1080i high definition simulcast of MSNBC that launched on June 29, 2009. All live programing as well as select long form programs air in HD.[35]

Cablevision was the only provider to carry MSNBC HD at its launch date.[36]

A Dish Network press release on May 8 indicated that it would be the first satellite service to launch MSNBC HD in June.[37] However their launch was postponed to July 8.[38]

Time Warner Cable launched the HD feed on July 22 in the New York area.[38] The feed was made available in late July in Ithaca, NY on Time Warner. It has also been reported that Bright House Networks will add the HD feed in July, with other unnamed providers to follow.[39] Phil Griffin claimed MSNBC HD would have 11 million viewers by the end of August 2009.[39]

Verizon FiOS added MSNBC HD on February 11, 2010.[40]
Old 02-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #560
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The US without the hammer in 10th and 11th ends comes through with the win. McCormick with a big shot in the 11st to redeem herself from the 9th.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #561
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my brother has declared that him and his friend will be on the US curling team in Sochi. They're going to go sign up and start learning at the club two towns over.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #562
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

USA curling on a roll, men and women have each won two straight. Shame about the horrific start though. I think the problem is that it's all Northerners competing. Get some rinks built in other parts of the country and we'll start medaling in this sport consistently.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #563
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
USA curling on a roll, men and women have each won two straight. Shame about the horrific start though. I think the problem is that it's all Northerners competing. Get some rinks built in other parts of the country and we'll start medaling in this sport consistently.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #564
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

One addition to watching Curling on TV that would be awesome, imo would be a speed measurement and time measurement on every shot.

It's amazing to watch some of these shots go for so long so slow all because of sweepers and then it would be interesting to see how fast the take out shots are.

I think it would add a little bit more to the experience.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #565
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Mark Tuitert! Well worth staying up until 3:00 am!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #566
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Mark Tuitert! Well worth staying up until 3:00 am!

Tuitert was an absolute beast.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #567
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Celski DQ'd in the short track semi, looked like the Canadian dude made contact first and was behind Celski. Oh well. C'mon Ohno.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #568
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow- that second semifinal was awesome

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #569
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is such a sad little second final.

SI

Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #570
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is such a sad little second final.

SI

Yup. However, this race should be exciting.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #571
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Would have been nice to see the women's 1500m short track, an eight person final sounds nuts. NBC with their "there's a short delay on the track" bullshit :/
Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #572
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Only a bronze for Ohno, damn Canadian knocked him off his balance when he made his move.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #573
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would have been nice to see the women's 1500m short track, an eight person final sounds nuts. NBC with their "there's a short delay on the track" bullshit :/

lol
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #574
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My DVR schedule says that race was already planned for the late night coverage tonight. I imagine it'll be shown in about 40 minutes at the beginning of that coverage.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-20-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #575
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
lol

It's a fucking disgrace. I've always thought Bob Costas was an obnoxious piece of shit and a Yankees homer, to flat out lie to the entire country and say there's some kind of delay when in actuality there's a medal event going on in an exciting sport is bad even for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
My DVR schedule says that race was always planned for the late night coverage tonight. I imagine it'll be shown in about 40 minutes at the beginning of that coverage.

Well at least we'll get to see it, I don't see why they couldn't have showed it when it happened, and I don't see why Costas felt the need to lie to everyone.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-20-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #576
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what a great interview by ohno...what a classy guy
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #577
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So what's up? They let it run and didn't show it live?

SI

Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #578
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a fucking disgrace. I've always thought Bob Costas was an obnoxious piece of shit and a Yankees homer, to flat out lie to the entire country and say there's some kind of delay when in actuality there's a medal event going on in an exciting sport is bad even for him.

Well at least we'll get to see it, I don't see why they couldn't have showed it when it happened, and I don't see why Costas felt the need to lie to everyone.

oh i agree. i wasn't laughing at you...just laughing at the absurdity of it.

they could say "oh the women's final is going on now...tune in late-night or set your dvr to watch it later" - but they're so like...bullshitty that they don't
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #579
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

because we have to show it all the tape-delayed shit and the human interest bullshit
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #580
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Only a bronze for Ohno, damn Canadian knocked him off his balance when he made his move.

After watching the replay I don't think the Canadian really didn't anything. He had his hand on him but I don't think he knocked him off balance. It didn't really look like he pushed him at all...
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #581
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah - even ohno says he just slipped a little
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #582
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ohno is just being diplomatic unlike Russian figure skaters and Korean speed skaters. Maybe.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #583
Tigercat
College Starter

You can't look at the video and not think that the hand had something to do with the slip, the slip was right after. Now maybe it wasn't much of a push, and Ohno should have done a better job of weathering it. But regardless, pisses me off that he got in on the finals on a BS review after riding the back of a skater, and helped cost another skater a better medal by pulling the same contact.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #584
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Damn, they showed an earlier curling shot made by Murdoch for the Brits against Canada, a difficult double deflection that finished on the button and scored them three points. So awesome.

Why is this sport so great? Maybe it's because I like playing shuffleboard at the bar and this is kind of like a giant version of that, except this is far more complicated and there's Olympic gold and petty nationalism involved. I'm becoming obsessed I think. I don't know what I'm going to do when the games are over, four more years until I get to see more curling sounds like a terrible wait.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #585
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

You know, if Canada and Norway keep winning while everyone else stays clumped in the middle, the US men just might have a shot at the curling semifinals. Switzerland and Sweden are currently winning, that won't help at all though...

The women are only half a game out after winning two straight. This rollercoaster ain't stopping for awhile.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #586
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

God damn is Ohno over rated. I mean he has got the press over the last two olympics, but the Koreans have owned his ass. I do not even remember him beating these guys ever other than the one last olympics that was controversial DQ'dS on the Koreans. It pisses me off now I have to listen to Mrs Galaril bragging about the South Koreans kicking Americas ass in short track again. Yes, we will argue about short track for nationalities sake.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #587
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Damn, they showed an earlier curling shot made by Murdoch for the Brits against Canada, a difficult double deflection that finished on the button and scored them three points. So awesome.

Why is this sport so great? Maybe it's because I like playing shuffleboard at the bar and this is kind of like a giant version of that, except this is far more complicated and there's Olympic gold and petty nationalism involved. I'm becoming obsessed I think. I don't know what I'm going to do when the games are over, four more years until I get to see more curling sounds like a terrible wait.

I think the throws and the strategy are pretty interesting. My issue with curling revolves 100% around the time of it. It just seems like there's way too much time between shots, and then there's too many throws and ends. Speed it up and I'd be able to sit through it all, instead of turning over to "Almost Famous" on TBS and missing the end of the USA-SWE match like I did today.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #588
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Curling is about 100 times more fun to play than it is to watch. Once I get too old for more active sports I'll probably end up back in curling (I curled for 6 or 7 years as a youth). But watching it can be painful. I always liked it better when there were 8 ends, 10 seems unnecessary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #589
Logan
Head Coach

Okay, if a Canuck understands where I'm coming from, I think I'm on the right page.

Belarus up 2-1 on Germany...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #590
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Curling seems to be filling my winter fix for a slow moving leisurely sport (read: baseball substitute).

SI

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #591
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Curling seems to be filling my winter fix for a slow moving leisurely sport (read: baseball substitute).

SI

No need for a baseball substitute. Pitchers and catchers have reported, my friend!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if a pro curling league would make it in the US with a few tweaks, shot clock, etc...

probably not.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #593
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No need for a baseball substitute. Pitchers and catchers have reported, my friend!
That's not baseball. That's a bunch of guys just throwing a ball around. Call me when somebody has a bat!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #594
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
God damn is Ohno over rated. I mean he has got the press over the last two olympics, but the Koreans have owned his ass. I do not even remember him beating these guys ever other than the one last olympics that was controversial DQ'dS on the Koreans. It pisses me off now I have to listen to Mrs Galaril bragging about the South Koreans kicking Americas ass in short track again. Yes, we will argue about short track for nationalities sake.

Hard to say a guy who has 7 medals is overrated
Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #595
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

seriously. short-track speedskating is just such an unpredictable competition, where in any given race the fastest skater can win, or potentially not win. not like long-track where they race the clock, it's more tactics-driven and you've got the whole concept of passing and bumping while you're on these razor-blade thin skate edges.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #596
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I know, but it's not like I can watch it yet.

SI

Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #597
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
seriously. short-track speedskating is just such an unpredictable competition, where in any given race the fastest skater can win, or potentially not win. not like long-track where they race the clock, it's more tactics-driven and you've got the whole concept of passing and bumping while you're on these razor-blade thin skate edges.

Overated in that of those 7 medals he's got 2 gold only and really one was not earned but given by the judges who DQ'd the winning skater for a blocking call that even I as a USA fan thought was BS. In this olympics his silver medal was just luck when the Koreans fell. I know short track is strategy and bursts of speed but look at the Korean guy this time Jung-Su Lee he has two golds to Ohno's silver and bronze. It is great he is in the Olympics and earning medals but celebrating the boat load of non golds is like Vikings or Bills fans celebrating being in four-five Super Bowls but never winning.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Go Slovakia! (Biathalon)

SI

Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #599
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Overated in that of those 7 medals he's got 2 gold only and really one was not earned but given by the judges who DQ'd the winning skater for a blocking call that even I as a USA fan thought was BS. In this olympics his silver medal was just luck when the Koreans fell. I know short track is strategy and bursts of speed but look at the Korean guy this time Jung-Su Lee he has two golds to Ohno's silver and bronze. It is great he is in the Olympics and earning medals but celebrating the boat load of non golds is like Vikings or Bills fans celebrating being in four-five Super Bowls but never winning.

This just makes me shake my head.

I guess we just have a different concept of what the olympics mean.

Last edited by Lathum : 02-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #600
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only about 10 more minutes to go.. hopefully, the game isn't a blowout.