Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #551
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah, I mentioned that a few posts above.

We'll probably bring 3000 fans to Toronto.

Yeah, not surprised. The Big East has made sure that only 1 team will travel well this bowl season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #552
tarcone
Coordinator

I love that Boise/TCU matchup. but its kind of a slap in their face in my opinion, if it comes true.

BCS selectors in secret meeting. "What are we going to do fellas? TCU and Boise are undefeated and the fans want a playoff. But then we lose our jobs. Wait, i know. Make them play each other. That gets rid of one of the undefeated teams and they dont beat a team from one of our conferences."
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #553
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned that a few posts above.

We'll probably bring 3000 fans to Toronto.

Yeah. You going to that game? I'm not. I'd reserved tickets to the St. Pete's bowl just because it was easy to make a long weekend out of it (and everything would've been taken care of). Toronto, we just can't do.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #554
miked
College Starter

Quote:
I can't blame them. Like I said, if we're not playing in a bowl game that "means something" (BCS or to a lesser extent Gator) I want to play in an interesting matchup and there's no juice in a Rutgers - UNC game for either set of fans. Miami-RU would've been fun.

There is still a huge difference between playing UNC/USC in the South for a bowl, than playing some shit MAC team in a cold place on New Year's day. I mean, I had some friends drive up from NJ last time they went, but it was only a few and they said it was miserable. So now, we've played a bunch of bowls against a bunch of shit teams, except maybe NCSU last season, but they are fairly mediocre (like us!!). Stomping these shit teams in shit bowls doesn't help one bit.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #555
Jon
High School Varsity

The Star Ledger is now reporting that Rutgers is likely headed to the St. Petersburg Bowl, which means, given the Star Ledger's credibility, means we're likely going to Toronto.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #556
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Yeah. You going to that game? I'm not. I'd reserved tickets to the St. Pete's bowl just because it was easy to make a long weekend out of it (and everything would've been taken care of). Toronto, we just can't do.

Nah I'm not heading up there. I have no interest in disrupting my NYE hangover early to head up to Canada for this game of all games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #557
Logan
Head Coach

Ha, yeah looks like St. Pete's vs UCF is done. That's gonna be a tough game.

Game is on the friggin 19th, not much time to plan.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #558
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wish the Big East would get a football commisioner.

It is amazing that the football side has had any success with the basketball bunch running things. We can find room for DePaul and Marquette in all sports, but there is no room for a school who could balance out the football side like Memphis, ECU, or UCF because that would make the conference too big.

I'd hate to lose Madison Square Garden for the Finals, but I'm looking more and more forward to a split between the football and basketball schools. I think a basketball league of UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Memphis, and UCF would easily be capable of consistently getting 4-6 NCAA teams.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #559
Logan
Head Coach

It'll happen soon Swaggs, as long as one of the teams doesn't make the Big 10 jump before it can get done.

Seeing Tranghese leave (finally!) only to have him be replaced by another stooge from Providence signaled the need for the end.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #560
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So Urban Meier checked hmself into the hospital, suffering from dehydration?

I guess he didn't get that Gatorade bath he was expecting...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #561
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC is reportedly going to the Emerald Bowl, likely vs Boston College
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #562
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
So Urban Meier checked hmself into the hospital, suffering from dehydration?

I guess he didn't get that Gatorade bath he was expecting...

Maybe he lost a bunch of water crying with Tebow.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #563
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Maybe he lost a bunch of water crying with Tebow.

No, he lost a bunch of water hitting the bottle after realizing he was going to lose Tebow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #564
Logan
Head Coach

No, he was crying because he finally realized his offense is too faggoty for the SEC!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #565
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas vs. East Carolina in Liberty Bowl is official now.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #566
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC is reportedly going to the Emerald Bowl, likely vs Boston College

That's nuts.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Ha, yeah looks like St. Pete's vs UCF is done. That's gonna be a tough game.

Game is on the friggin 19th, not much time to plan.

Confirmed.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #568
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's nuts.

intentional? If so well played.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #569
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No, he lost a bunch of water hitting the bottle after realizing he was going to lose Tebow.

I figured it was hitting the bottle after that game, yeah. Although I'm not sure where the bright line is between dehydration and alcohol poisoning, so there is that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #570
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Priceless
Old 12-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #571
Cuckoo
College Starter

OU against Stanford in the Sun Bowl. I'm sure the players would've rather been in the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, and I would've rather seen them get a Big 10 opponent. But this one could be interesting. OU has an excellent run defense, and I'll be extremely curious to see if they can hold down Gerhart.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #572
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Missouri vs. Navy in the Texas Bowl. Good matchup and it's in Texas so I'll take it over Insight Bowl in Arizona and I also prefer the 2:30 start if you have to play on New Year's Eve. But it's always hard to root against service academies.

Still seeing a lot of confusion over the BCS bowl selection process. If Alabama ends up No. 1 in the BCS the selection process is Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar.

Sugar will take Florida and I think Fiesta will take TCU. Who does Orange take to play Georgia Tech? The eligible teams for selection are Boise, Cincinnati, Iowa, Penn State, BYU or Virginia Tech. I really don't know. My bet is on Iowa. That leaves Fiesta next and I think they take Cincinnati for an undefeated matchup. I think Boise gets the Sugar.

If Orange goes for Boise or Cincy, then Fiesta probably takes the other. If Sugar doesn't have Boise or Cincy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Florida-Penn State.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #573
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

B.C.S. Bowl Matchups - The Quad Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:
The announcements don’t come until later tonight when we have to endure Fox’s coverage for unveiling the B.C.S. bowls for the final time. But after talking to numerous sources around college football today, I’ve come up with a bowl lineup.

It includes the matchup that will generate the biggest buzz of the bowl season outside of the national title game, a matchup of undefeated T.C.U. and Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. It’s a shocking pick in many regards, as bowl games featuring non-B.C.S. teams rate historically low. The two teams also played last year in the Poinsettia Bowl, drawing a 3.7 rating. There were 14 bowl games rated higher. (T.C.U. won, 34,628 people attended. I watched and rather enjoyed it.)

It appears there will be two ratings clunkers, as T.C.U. and Boise have small fan bases and no tradition of rating well. Georgia Tech and Iowa isn’t exactly a scintillating matchup for TV either.

Here are the B.C.S. games. We’ll have a full lineup later when all this mess is sorted out.

Bowl Championship Series title game (Jan. 7)

Texas vs. Alabama

Orange Bowl (Jan. 5)

Georgia Tech vs. Iowa

Fiesta Bowl (Jan. 4)

Texas Christian vs. Boise State

Sugar Bowl (Jan. 1)

Florida vs. Cincinnati

Rose Bowl (Jan. 1)

Ohio State vs. Oregon

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #574
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
This game sucks. What was supposed to be a great day of football is turning out to be a shitting day of football. Other than Pitt and Cinci....
Granted I missed the SEC CG and 1st half of the B12 CG because I went to a hockey game, but what I saw was fantastic. Great simultaneous finishes both early with Cincy-Pitt and Houston-ECU then late with Texas-Nebraska and GT-Clemson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
AP Poll released

* Others receiving votes: East Carolina 53, Houston 50, Texas Tech 44, Northwestern 35, Clemson 31, California 14, Mississippi 14, USC 8, Oklahoma 7, North Carolina 7, Tennessee 6, Missouri 4, Montana 1, Georgia 1
I know they want to be cute and all, but they're probably the worst team left in FCS, particularly if you discount the App St games before Edwards returned. Villanova might actually deserve top 25 consideration with a win @Temple on the resume - they're actually #36 in the Sagarin ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wish the Big East would get a football commisioner.

I'd hate to lose Madison Square Garden for the Finals, but I'm looking more and more forward to a split between the football and basketball schools. I think a basketball league of UConn, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Memphis, and UCF would easily be capable of consistently getting 4-6 NCAA teams.
Once you're at 10, why not go all the way to 12 and get that conference championship game... Temple (again) and UMass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cincinnati will have 3 ranked wins, including 2 on the road. Texas will have 1 against a team that was without their best player. The Big East is a tougher conference in my opinion and their OOC was much tougher than Texas' creampuff one. Cincinnati has more big wins against better schools than Texas and I believe that is important.
You keep railing against voters, yet using them to support Cincy having big wins. If you go by the Sagarin ratings that use scoring margin Texas is 2, Oklahoma 5, Nebraska 9 and Cincy 12.

Cincy's had a great season, and would have been screwed anyways, but after their performances in the national spotlight let's not pretend they're a better team than Texas. If anything it's TCU that has been firing on all cylinders lately.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #575
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud's NYT article
It includes the matchup that will generate the biggest buzz of the bowl season outside of the national title game, a matchup of undefeated T.C.U. and Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.
It won't generate the biggest buzz. TCU playing a name team would. Boise St playing a name team would. Those two matching up against each other will be an enjoyable game, but it won't generate any more buzz than last's years matchup did and it won't answer any of the questions people have. I hope these guesses are wrong and the Fiesta picks one fanbase that travels well so those two are split.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #576
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee vs ACC opponent in the Peach per UTSports.com (official school site)

Knoxville News-Sentinel reporting they will face Va Tech.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #577
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just you all wait. Next year, we get another Bowl in the form of the Yankee Bowl in NYC.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #578
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Just you all wait. Next year, we get another Bowl in the form of the Yankee Bowl in NYC.

Amazingly, I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #579
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Amazingly, I'm looking forward to this one.

Me too. Mostly because of the venue. I mean, if Boise can host a bowl...why not NYC.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #580
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

seriously?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #581
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
seriously?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sport...-62881252.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4517004

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-06-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #582
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm seriously pissed that boise is gonna play fuckin TCU, I fucking know all the big teams just didn't wanna play either one of them, thats such bullshit. pussys
Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #583
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I'd rather see Boise get a shot at Florida, and TCU a shot at someone else decent, because this game isn't gonna prove shit.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #584
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You have got to be fucking kidding me. They aren't starting the BCS show until 5:30 so they can show Seahawks gameday. Horrible.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #585
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'm seriously pissed that boise is gonna play fuckin TCU, I fucking know all the big teams just didn't wanna play either one of them, thats such bullshit. pussys

That has nothing to do with it. It's the way the Bowls pick. The teams really don't have any say in who they play.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #586
MrBug708
Head Coach

It will prove which mid major doesnt below
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #587
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

NIU vs. USF in the International Bowl, GO Huskies!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #588
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
That has nothing to do with it. It's the way the Bowls pick. The teams really don't have any say in who they play.

I know that. I'm not dumb , I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised at all if politics and money had something to do with it. I guess I meant more in the fact that the people in charge of the bcs don't wanna see Boise or TCU beat any of the big schools, I'm willing to bet that they have more than a little pull in placing the teams, and its not all the way the bowls pick.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #589
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yup. Another reason why the BCS system is a pile of crap in particular AFTER it does its primary job of setting up #1 and #2. Because after that, the bowls do the picking, and they're only concerned with money. I don't have a problem with the bowls doing what makes sense for them economically, it's just disappointing as a college football fan that the system is set up to make money the primary consideration for bowl destinations instead of on field merit.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #590
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I know that. I'm not dumb , I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised at all if politics and money had something to do with it. I guess I meant more in the fact that the people in charge of the bcs don't wanna see Boise or TCU beat any of the big schools, I'm willing to bet that they have more than a little pull in placing the teams, and its not all the way the bowls pick.

I hope your tinfoil hat fits well. You really think bowl organizers are going to agree behind closed doors to have the worst rated bowl in the history of the BCS simply to cover for the BCS conferences?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #591
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow. Fiesta Bowl will get terrible ratings, amazing, just amazing.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lou Holtz nailed it, this matchup proves nothing. Totally screws the small conferences and doesn't give them a chance to show they belong with the big boys.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #593
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
wow. Fiesta Bowl will get terrible ratings, amazing, just amazing.

It sucks. I feel really bad for TCU and Boise State (and Cincy).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #594
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Cincy's had a great season, and would have been screwed anyways, but after their performances in the national spotlight let's not pretend they're a better team than Texas. If anything it's TCU that has been firing on all cylinders lately.
They beat a highly ranked team on the road in a huge game. Not sure how that performance made them look bad.

And I agree, TCU is firing on all cylinders. They are the 2nd best team in the country but can't qualify. Would have been fun to see those defenses battle it out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #595
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope your tinfoil hat fits well. You really think bowl organizers are going to agree behind closed doors to have the worst rated bowl in the history of the BCS simply to cover for the BCS conferences?

They're getting paid regardless (the bowl).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #596
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It sucks. I feel really bad for TCU and Boise State (and Cincy).

Cincy is the real victim in all this. do away with silly preseason rankings and they are playing for the title. Texas has an insanely weak schedule.

Either way, any system that doesn't allow an undefeated team to play for a title is deeply flawed.

The college football powers pimp the whole "every week is a playoff" concept. Really, because last I checked when a team doesn't lose in the playoffs they win the title.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #597
RainMaker
General Manager

The last 3-4 pages of this thread show how pathetic the system is. Everyone is arguing about what schools draw better ratings and can send the most fans to a consolation game. Which schools a sponsor would prefer. Very little about what teams actually do on the field.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-06-2009 at 07:15 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #598
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

At least TCU and Boise State are playing in a BCS game this year, rather than the Kibbles and Bits Bowl.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #599
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Umm, what?

UC won on the road against a very good Pitt team and also won on the road against a very good Oregeon state team.

Both those wins are better then any single win Texas had. To say Texas is unequivocally the better team is ludicrous.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #600
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
At least TCU and Boise State are playing in a BCS game this year, rather than the Kibbles and Bits Bowl.

May as well be the Kibbles and Bits bowl. Boise beating Oklahoma is a huge story, Utah beating Alabama likewise, but whoever wins this game it means nothing because they didn't defy any odds and prove they belong.