Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #551
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
Well, FUCK you too Juan. Really. I'll send you my cell number if you want to have a verbal pissin' match. You're the one who used profanity. Lame.

I think the proper protocol is to post said cell phone number in this thread.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #552
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh well. two weeks till pitchers and catchers report

Heck it's even less then that! It's like 10 days!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #553
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dammit Matt Leinart will have to win his ring next year now...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #554
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, FUCK you too Juan. Really. I'll send you my cell number if you want to have a verbal pissin' match. You're the one who used profanity. Lame.

Better yet just post it here.

Oh, and include your SSN. M'kay, thx!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #555
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I am pretty disappointed that so many feel the officiating was that bad. Not in your opinions, but just the fact that this is coming up again. As I said earlier, I think people had more to complain with XL then this. That is not saying there were not questionable calls (for both side), but this was far from a "OMG this is a conspiracy, those cheating Steelers won again!!!", isn't it?

For what it is worth, the Head of Officiating Mike Pierra said that the last fumble by Warner was indeed a fumble, and that the guys upstairs saw it that way. I know that won't comfort anyone who felt it was a bad call.

But honestly, we aren't talking about a play here that was either a touchdown or not. Yes, there was a slight chance that if they ruled it was a pass and the Cardinals kept the ball they could have thrown a hail mary and scored. I know in all fairness, they should have been given that opportunity if you felt that was not a fumble by Warner. But again, we aren't talking about the most egregious call in history here.

Sorry if I am rambling a bit, but just to say again it is a bit disappointing. I will enjoy this just as much, but it sucks to have people yet again talking about how the Steelers got all the calls. I think it was a great game and both teams played their hearts out.

Last edited by jaygr : 02-02-2009 at 12:20 AM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #556
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I think the proper protocol is to post said cell phone number in this thread.

Shit, Radii beat me to the joke.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #557
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Dammit Matt Leinart will have to win his ring next year now...

Matt LeBlanc probably has a better chance.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #558
DanGarion
Coordinator

Why does everyone care so much about someone posting their email address, it's his own issue to deal with. Let us get back to the issue at hand, Matt Leinart was screwed out of his Super Bowl ring by bad officiating!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #559
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought the Cards were generally hosed by the officials for most of the game. And I thought he was throwing on the last play.

In any case, an exciting game. I wish the officials had had less of an impact on the outcome.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #560
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
are you a seahawks fan?

Well the Super Bowl hats were Seahawk colors...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #561
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
I am pretty disappointed that so many feel the officiating was that bad. Not in your opinions, but just the fact that this is coming up again. As I said earlier, I think people had more to complain with XL then this. That is not saying there were not questionable calls (for both side), but this was far from a "OMG this is a conspiracy, those cheating Steelers won again!!!", isn't it?

For what it is worth, the Head of Officiating Mike Pierra said that the last fumble by Warner was indeed a fumble, and that the guys upstairs saw it that way. I know that won't comfort anyone who felt it was a bad call.

But honestly, we aren't talking about a play here that was either a touchdown or not. Yes, there was a slight chance that if they ruled it was a pass and the Cardinals kept the ball they could have thrown a hail mary and scored. I know in all fairness, they should have been given that opportunity if you felt that was not a fumble by Warner. But again, we aren't talking about the most egregious call in history here.

Sorry if I am rambling a bit, but just to say again it is a bit disappointing. I will enjoy this just as much, but it sucks to have people yet again talking about how the Steelers got all the calls. I think it was a great game and both teams played their hearts out.

I agree 100%. Regardless of what Pierra says, though, that play HAS to be reviewed. It wasn't a call that lost the game for Arizona, but it played a large part in the focus of this game being on the officiating instead of the end result. Combine that with the poor officiating for both sides throughout the game and its a PR disaster for the league considering this was one of the most exciting Super Bowls of my lifetime yet very few people are talking about it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #562
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

It's not up to the guy upstairs to be taking decisions that should be left to officials (competent or not) into his own hands. There were seven seconds left...in the Superbowl. The "guy upstairs" should be fired and blacklisted. He thought it was clearly a fumble? It's not his game to call. He's just a guy who says "hey, maybe we should look at this again." Well guess what? There are millions of unbiased people who will never accept that this was a fumble. He dropped the ball more than Warner ever could've, not from an outcome standpoint, but from an officiating standpoint. If there's even a question, which IMO, there clearly was, there should've been a review. I'm not a big proponant of conspiracy theories or biased complaing either, but I think there's a legit argument here. It wasn't clearly a fumble, or clearly not a fumble.

And MF Mike Pierra. What is he gonna say at this point? "We blew it with seven seconds left in the Superbowl...sorry guys?"
Old 02-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #563
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Well excuse me. In my inebraited state, I forgot a letter...thank so much much for pointing that out.

Based on your behavior tonight, there's a novella I'd like to write in response, but you're not worth my time, or my keystrokes. Just know this: a) you are a pretentious douchenozzle that I can't imagine anyone liking, b) if you're going to have a myspace link, at least keep it up to date c) foreveranalog is a pretentious douchenozzle username and d) you're little "I win" phrases at the end of your posts are making you look like a total idiot.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #564
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I love the outcry about the officiating, especially the last play by the Cards offense. If the Cardinals had sucked it up on defense a little more, or had been able to do more with the ball on offense for 45 minutes of the game, then they would have won. Yet everyone rips the officials. The Cards had plenty of chances to win that game, and on several plays they failed to take advantage of it. Plain and simple to me.

The end of that game was great in several ways though. Overall a pretty sloppy, unimpressive game by both teams though with some pretty piss poor, unnecessary penalties committed by both sides.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #565
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I love the outcry about the officiating, especially the last play by the Cards offense. If the Cardinals had sucked it up on defense a little more, or had been able to do more with the ball on offense for 45 minutes of the game, then they would have won. Yet everyone rips the officials. The Cards had plenty of chances to win that game, and on several plays they failed to take advantage of it. Plain and simple to me.

The end of that game was great in several ways though. Overall a pretty sloppy, unimpressive game by both teams though with some pretty piss poor, unnecessary penalties committed by both sides.

I, personally, am not talking about anything aside from that last play. The same argument could be made about the Steelers; they shouldn't been in a position to be worrying with that little time on the clock. I'm talking only about the rules of the game and the adherence to the rules of the game. A review should've been called on such a crucial and, IMO unclear call. Less than 10 seconds left in the superbowl and "they" said fuck it? No. Not acceptable.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #566
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hope sak gets caught in post super bowl parade traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to go on vacation and get out of Pittsburgh this week.

Hah! If the Eagles would've made it I was planning on spending the week in Philly. There was no way I was going to be stuck here with all these idiots.

I watched the game with my dad, who like me, has grown a huge distaste for any Pittsburgh team thanks to their fans.

And as for the Refs, I don't know what some of you want. Aside from the late hit on Ben, I thought all those calls were legit. Hell I give that umpire the utmost respect in the world for throwing that holding call in the endzone. That took balls.

Harrison should be thanking his lucky stars that this was a Super Bowl game because if not, he might've been thrown out for what he did. Plus I'm pretty sure I saw Hines throw a punch in one of those scrums. Shit happens, there are 14 sets of eyes on 22 players. I think they did a good job.

For Cards fans, you can point to ONE play that lost you this Super Bowl, the last play of the First Half, period.

I agree with those who said the last play (Warner fumble) should have been reviewed. Just for sanity's sake, it should have been reviewed, even though I think it was a fumble. He lost control of the ball well before his hand starting moving forward. But again, reviewing it should have been done given the magnitude of this game.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #567
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

+1

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #568
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I think people see what they want to see. A lot of people were pulling for the Cards (if I were not a Steelers fan I would be too). I will admit there were questionable calls in XL, but I really can't see it here. The only questionable one I think was the personal foul on the hit on Ben. Other then that I think it was a pretty evenly called game. Then again, maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see? lol

I would agree, the "roughing the passer" was the only real bad call I think. The two calls that the Cards got overturned due to review (and how big were those for the Cards) were ones that were close and I can't fault the refs for missing.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #569
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thomkal, congrats on a good season and good showing by your Cards. I was thinking possible blowout after the Steelers' second possession in the game but, even as a Steeler fan, preferred a good game.

Glad I bailed out on this thread last night when I did, looks like things turned. I still don't buy the conspiracy arguments, particularly with the flurry of calls against the Steelers late (the holding call for a safety was a massive one, for instance, as was Ike Tayor's stupid, stupid personal foul [his behavior was stupid, not the call]). Although, as I said before, even though I didn't think there was anything conclusive, review the last call for God's sake.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 02-02-2009 at 07:30 AM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #570
larrymcg421
Head Coach

A few things here:

1) Pretty exciting Superbowl, even if it was a bit sloppy.

2) I was so pissed at Madden's "you have to make the plays when it counts" comments when comparing Warner and Roethlisberger. Of course, if Arizona's defense is awake for that last drive, then Warner would have made the plays when it counted.

3) Adding to the last point, it's more of the same nonsense about judging individual players by team accomplishments, one of my biggest pet peeves in all of sports. For example, can anyone say that Larry Fitzgerald did not do everything possible to help his team win the Superbowl. He had one of the most amazing postseasons in history, and he might not ever win a Superbowl.

4) The call at the end should have been reviewed. Come on, it's 7 seconds left in the Superbowl. Even if you think it's a fumble from your glimpse of it, why not review it for show?

5) I thought it was a fumble.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #571
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
2) I was so pissed at Madden's "you have to make the plays when it counts" comments when comparing Warner and Roethlisberger. Of course, if Arizona's defense is awake for that last drive, then Warner would have made the plays when it counted.

I do agree with you. I guess he wanted Warner to suit up and play cornerback, maybe bat down the pass to Holmes in the endzone. But in all honesty, even though I am a huge Roethlisberger fan, he oftentimes teeters on the edge of being bad Brett Favre (I'm thinking particular his roll around, roll around, get hit, roll around, spin and throw blindly to where Heath Miller is play). He's not going to be able to get away with that stuff as often as he seemed to last night (although I would love if he could). It's those plays that do worry me.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #572
gstelmack
Pro Starter

While I agree the last play should have been reviewed, I also think that 3 rushers vs 5 blockers means no one should have been NEAR Warner when he threw.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #573
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Let's be honest- are the Cards going to score on a Hail Mary to win the Super Bowl on the next play against the Steelers. If you gave me 10:1 odds that it wouldn't happen and I have to stake my life on one side or the other, I sure as hell am betting on it to not happen. The point is not that it cost the Cardinals the game, but it was the most visible of the gaffes made by the officiating crew last night.

And I know I've made this argument on the board before but we always hear the same cliches over and over. Does any team ever play a perfect game? No, so could you always say "the refs didn't lose you the game, so quit your bitching". However, it's not the team's job to play both the team on the other side of the field and the officials so we want fairness. It's not fair if one team played a better game than the other, but, of course played an imperfect game, and lost because the officials screwed up. This is not necessarily the case last night.

But let's lose the stupid "well, the refs didn't lose the game for one team or another" argument every time the refs did a crappy job- it's insulting and tired. The refs need to be held accountable when they do a bad job so it doesn't influence future games.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #574
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh well. two weeks till pitchers and catchers report

Woo. Yesterday, it was feeling spring-like here with weather in the 60s. Can't wait for baseball season.

SI

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #575
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Let's be honest- are the Cards going to score on a Hail Mary to win the Super Bowl on the next play against the Steelers. If you gave me 10:1 odds that it wouldn't happen and I have to stake my life on one side or the other, I sure as hell am betting on it to not happen. The point is not that it cost the Cardinals the game, but it was the most visible of the gaffes made by the officiating crew last night.

And I know I've made this argument on the board before but we always hear the same cliches over and over. Does any team ever play a perfect game? No, so could you always say "the refs didn't lose you the game, so quit your bitching". However, it's not the team's job to play both the team on the other side of the field and the officials so we want fairness. It's not fair if one team played a better game than the other, but, of course played an imperfect game, and lost because the officials screwed up. This is not necessarily the case last night.

But let's lose the stupid "well, the refs didn't lose the game for one team or another" argument every time the refs did a crappy job- it's insulting and tired. The refs need to be held accountable when they do a bad job so it doesn't influence future games.

SI

I thought the refs were average. They made so very good calls as well. The Int return for a TD, they made the right call. The catch at the end of the game in the back of the end zone was a good call.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #576
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I thought the refs were average. They made so very good calls as well. The Int return for a TD, they made the right call. The catch at the end of the game in the back of the end zone was a good call.

Yes, they did make some good calls. Both of those were upheld and rightfully so. They're going to- that's their damn job.

I agree on both of those. But the also had two overturned and a slew of bad or questionable calls. Also, I'm not saying the fix was in, either. I'm saying they did a bad job. That happens, too.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #577
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I didn't have a huge problem with most of the job the refs did last night either. There were a few mistakes at times, but that is going to happen and none that changed the game really.

Most of the complaints during the game about the refs were at first Steelers-haters who hated every call that went Pittsburgh's way (even though most of them seemed to me to be the correct calls with a few exceptions such as the two that were overturned by replay). Then later most of the complaining was the Steelers fans who were being over the top just to I guess "get back" at the people who said the Refs were for the Steelers or wanted the Steelers to win. In reality, for whatever reason a good part of the 4th quarter, Pittsburgh seemed to mentally check out of the game and made some really stupid penalties and should have been called for it.

The only really horrible call I felt was not necessarily the call for the last play(fumble/incomplete pass), but as others mentioned it would have been nice to have at least reviewed it just so people would not have had the ability to complain about it. At the time I felt it looked like an incompletion to me, but watching the replay over and over I honestly can't decide either way and definitely doubt anything conclusive would have been determined to overturn it.

Maybe I am too impartial in this, and honestly didn't care who won.. but I think so far this thread has been pretty unbearable to read today between a few Steelers fans being over the top with their posts and a few Steelers-haters just going off abotu the refs.

The game last night was ok to decent, but the last 5 minutes were one of the better Super bowl segments in recent history to watch. Both teams should be proud of their acomplishments and enjoy what they were able to do.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #578
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yes, they did make some good calls. Both of those were upheld and rightfully so. They're going to- that's their damn job.

I agree on both of those. But the also had two overturned and a slew of bad or questionable calls. Also, I'm not saying the fix was in, either. I'm saying they did a bad job. That happens, too.

SI

I don't really know where to start with you. First you make a very questionable statement about getting rid of holding...you bitch about the refs yet don't even know the basic rules about 5 yard and 15 yard facemask. I am only going to comment about the overturned calls because it seems that arguing with you about this is like beating your head against the wall, because you'll never be pleased until the human factor is gone.

For the first call I am sure you are referring to that was over turned...had the official blown the whistle saying that Warner's arm was going forward and it wasn't going forward, they could not of overturned it or challenged it.

Then you would have been bitching that the ref should've kept the whistle in his mouth and not blown it. That is what he is SUPPOSE to do. Let the play progress if he is uncertain that it is a fumble or not, because once the whistle blows, all bets are off. The play is dead and called as such. He did his "damn job there," and it was the right thing to do.

Also the other "overturned call" of Ben's touchdown, you can't tell me that you could tell either way full speed if that was for certain a touchdown or not, without looking at it again? If so you have the greatest vision on the face of the earth.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-02-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #579
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

One of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed, and the fact that it was the Super Bowl makes it even more embarassing for the League. You'd think that with the Super Bowl on the line, they would review a play where the QB's arm was moving forward with :05. That would have given the Cards the ball on the 29 yard line, with a chance to hit the best jump ball receiver in the NFL for a potential game winning TD. The whole game was kind of like one big "what the hell?" for me.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #580
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
You'd think that with the Super Bowl on the line, they would review a play where the QB's arm was moving forward with :05. That would have given the Cards the ball on the 29 yard line, with a chance to hit the best jump ball receiver in the NFL for a potential game winning TD. The whole game was kind of like one big "what the hell?" for me.

Look at the 1:19 mark. His arm is not going forward. But I do agree 100% with your point they should've at least reviewed it.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #581
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've seen the replays plenty of times. Bottom line is, if Brady's "fumble" was determined to be an incomplete pass, then this should have been too. There were several no calls, phantom calls, and bad judgement from the refs throughout the game. The last play was just the climax.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #582
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Are you referring to the Tuck Rule? I'm just curious if it is that or another game. Because if it is the tuck rule, it doesn't even apply in this case.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-02-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #583
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

They should have looked at it to avoid all the bitching and moaning, but to me the real story there was that 5 Cardinals couldn't block 3 Steelers, and that Warner was completely incapable of avoiding the rush. It wasn't the Cardinals best moment.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #584
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can one of the "the refs were the worst EVVVAAAAAA!" guys please list all of their bad, horrible calls please? I don't hear about anything other then the final Warner fumble, a questionable Roughing the Passer penalty, and maybe not ejecting the DPotY for the clip above here.

Seriously, I would like a list. The above doesn't make the worst ever. And the final Warner FUMBLE is not a travesty. People are arguing it over still today, so the Ref looking at it for 30 seconds would have done nothing but wasted everyone's time when the call on the field would stand.

I will wait for my list, if you really want to try to convince me.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #585
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm in agreement...the roughing Roethlisberger call was my biggest issue, and the biggest issue by far in my opinion. And considering how damn near everything is roughing, not a surprise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #586
gstelmack
Pro Starter

There was also a case where Santonio Holmes (I think it was) got about 10 or 15 yards after it looked like he stepped out of bounds late in the game with the side judge following along right behind him. With Arizona having to use challenges early, that one wasn't worth enough (can't remember if they had challenges left).

On the good no-call for intentional grounding on Big Ben, there was a pretty clear hold on the edge rusher trying to catch him from behind, but everyone got worked up over the IG call and skipped right over it.

My feeling early was they were calling Arizona tight and Pittsburgh loose early, but I started changing on that later on, especially when Pittsburgh started getting a bit too chippy.

And as I said above, I'm firmly in the camp of "how the heck did Arizona let someone get anywhere NEAR Warner on that last fumble?"
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #587
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen the video yet, but there are multiple callers to the "B team" reporting that there was a clear block in the back that wasn't called on the interception return at the end of the half. Anyone else see that? I saved the broadcast on my DVR, so I'm going to take a look after work.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-02-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #588
PilotMan
Head Coach

The ref's clearly blew the call in the Steelers-Oakland game. The ball clearly touched the ground before Franco took it to the enzone. Ref's suck.

Like Steam?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #589
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
One of the worst officiated games I've ever witnessed, and the fact that it was the Super Bowl makes it even more embarassing for the League. You'd think that with the Super Bowl on the line, they would review a play where the QB's arm was moving forward with :05. That would have given the Cards the ball on the 29 yard line, with a chance to hit the best jump ball receiver in the NFL for a potential game winning TD. The whole game was kind of like one big "what the hell?" for me.

Was that James Harrison? The guy who ran it back?

I see a flag flying, and I'm wondering if it's for that hit, and if it was...how the FUCK did he not get a game misconduct ejection for punching the player he was holding down there?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #590
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Of much more importance, I am just now hearing the National Anthem was a recording. I didn't like it with the music, and now it is not even close to a great Anthem version. If it had been live with no music, very good. The woman singing at the NFC Champ game was better though to me. I wonder if that was a recording as well....?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #591
Galaxy
Coordinator

Ok...

For the last time, the "fumble" is not conclusive. You may feel it was a fumble or an incomplete pass. However, that is not what the call was and what the rules are.

Definition of conclusive:
"serving to settle or decide a question; decisive; convincing: conclusive evidence."

You could have called that an incomplete pass and I think it would have been ruled an incomplete pass.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #592
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I see a flag flying, and I'm wondering if it's for that hit, and if it was...how the FUCK did he not get a game misconduct ejection for punching the player he was holding down there?

That is Harrison, and that flag was for him. 15 yards. It would be nice to see the NFL fine him for it after the fact.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #593
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I thought that is what the 15-yard penalty was for.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #594
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That is Harrison, and that flag was for him. 15 yards. It would be nice to see the NFL fine him for it after the fact.

And it ended up being a one yard penalty after the punt was downed at the 2.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #595
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yeah.. which basically means he could have pulled out a battle axe and cut his head off and it still would have been a 1 yd penalty.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #596
remper
Mascot

Regarding that last play, one could ask why Warner didn't just chuck the ball near a receiver when he was being pressured that badly. Should have been reviewed, but probably was a fumble anyway.

Regarding the officiating in general, as a biased anti-Steelers fan I was having some of the same thoughts about calls going completely Pittsburgh's way in the first half. But things started to even out toward the end of the game.

The officials were influencing the game way too much in my opinion. I mean if they were to look hard enough they could have flagged many more plays than they did. It's just too bad that as great of a game that it was, officiating is dominating the discussion.

What really bugged me was the call of roughing the holder. I KNOW that it was technically a sound call, but it sure as shit wasn't intentional. How that ends up being the same level of penalty as Harrison punching someone away from the play is beyond me. Luckily Arizona's defense stopped Pittsburgh again, but that was a crucial time when the officials seemed to be playing a role in determining the outcome.

But when it comes down to it Pittsburgh made crucial plays at crucial times and earned the win, as much as I hate to admit it. It was a rollercoaster game for me, I was going nuts half the time watching it. I had been saying before the game that I wish the Ravens had made it instead, because I wouldn't have been so emotionally invested.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #597
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I forgot about that part even though I thought it was BS at the time.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #598
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
The officials were influencing the game way too much in my opinion.

Quote:
I mean if they were to look hard enough they could have flagged many more plays than they did.

Quote:
What really bugged me was the call of roughing the holder. I KNOW that it was technically a sound call, but it sure as shit wasn't intentional.

I really don't understand how you could say these three things all within one post.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #599
PilotMan
Head Coach

So unintentional pass interference calls in the endzone shouldn't be called?

Unfortunate for the Cards? Yes

Correct Call? Yes

Steelers still got way to conservative inside the 5. Should have scored a TD on that possession as well as the first one of the game.

Like Steam?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #600
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I really don't understand how you could say these three things all within one post.

Seems simple enough.

A)nthey made bad calls when they DID throw a flag.

B) they missed blatant calls that should have been made and would have been made in most cases.

C) I've been watching the NFL for 30+ years and this is the first time I have ever seen the panalty for running into the holder and I've seen holders get wiped out entirely in games before.

For Cringer:

The roughing the passer on Ben was a joke and it kept a drive alive allowing a pittsbugh TD (game changing play)

The non call on the INT runback (yet another game changing play)

There was a second call against Arizona on the same drive of the phantom roughing call on one of the safeties, I think for holding which was at best a ticky tack call that you wouldn't have seen in the regular season.

Non calls all first half long as Pittsburgh lineman literally tackle the cardinals front 7 as they rushed the passer.

Not having Harrison ejected was a complete joke after his assinine play on the punt. The initial call was good, but then after the first flag he continued on and should have gotten tossed.

I'd give you more specifics but I'm at work and don't really have time or access to specific plays atm.

Now I will not say it was ALL one sided, but the timing and severity of the calls was completly in Pitt's favor.

Its frustrating that a game that turned out as very entertaining as this one was to be redirected and pushed in one teams favor more than the other by the officials.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote