Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #551
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
So is this wacky Tulsa - Ball State bowl game not even on tv?

It is on ESPN.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #552
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It is on ESPN.

I fail.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #553
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My bad for missing the tone of your post. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #554
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
My bad for missing the tone of your post. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far.

You didn't. I was asking legitimately because I went through my guide 3 times and missed it on ESPN all 3 times.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #555
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but kind of interesting.

The Associated Press: Utah AG: BCS may violate antitrust laws
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #556
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Hang 60? He barely hung the points he needed to beat them. One blown coverage away from getting a loss hung on him.
Given that Vic is an Oklahoma fan, I think you can take his post with a heaping pile of salt...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #557
kingfc22
Head Coach

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but did anyone see USC's Rey Mauluaga "dance" behind Erin Andrews?

YouTube - Rey Maualuga Erin Andrews 2009 Rose Bowl
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #558
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Sorry, I can't show that Oklahoma is better than Utah.
Sorry, I can't show that Florida is better than Utah.
Sorry, I can't show that USC is better than Utah.

I think it's broken...

Nice

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-07-2009 at 12:36 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #559
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno will announce their intention to enter the NFL draft today, according to ESPN.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #561
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wilbon's column makes him sound downright stupid. He doesn't watch the game because it doesn't matter ... but he spent his life watching them because they somehow mattered?

How in the blue fuck could a matchup of teams outside the title picture now matter less to him than a matchup of teams outside the title picture before the BCS?

That someone paid him to write that is downright insulting to people who are unemployed.

What the article did at least do was highlight the one thing I find really screwed up with the current arrangement, the huge spread of the traditional Jan 1 games over too many days. But that could very well have happened without the BCS, it's nothing more than a bit a collusion by the networks to try to help ratings.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-07-2009 at 04:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #562
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How in the blue fuck could a matchup of teams outside the title picture now matter less to him than a matchup of teams outside the title picture before the BCS?

I seem to remember a few times where the top 2 or 3 teams all lost their bowl games, and the #4 or #5 team going into the bowls ended up getting named as the AP/UPI/whatever national champion.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #563
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wilbon's column makes him sound downright stupid. He doesn't watch the game because it doesn't matter ... but he spent his life watching them because they somehow mattered?

That someone paid him to write that is downright insulting to people who are unemployed.

What the article did at least do was highlight the one thing I find really screwed up with the current arrangement, the huge spread of the traditional Jan 1 games over too many days. But that could very well have happened without the BCS, it's nothing more than a bit a collusion by the networks to try to help ratings.
Yeah, to me he had the right reaction but for the wrong reasons.

I'm an avid opponent to a playoff system (with the possible exception of a +1) and I find I liked things better before the BCS system. To me, the great thing about New Year's Day bowl games was that it was a full day of New Year's Day bowl games between a bunch of high-level teams, and inevitably a few of them were in contention for being ranked #1 in the final polls.

I'm sure part of it was the fact that there weren't as many games televised in those days, so often this was the first, best opportunity for me to see certain teams play outside of the Pac-10. But it also just had a real electric atmosphere - this was the grand finale of the bowl season and the college football season with all the biggest bowls (Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta) played in 1 day.

This whole spreading the games out over multiple days might make sense from a TV ad revenue perspective (though I'd be curious how the ratings compare to the old days), but it sucks in my opinion from a fan perspective.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #564
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I miss the good ol' days of just 3 broadcast channels, no cable and rotary phones.

Oh and when baseball just had no divisions, too. Man, those were the days.

Take me back...

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-07-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #565
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
This whole spreading the games out over multiple days might make sense from a TV ad revenue perspective (though I'd be curious how the ratings compare to the old days), but it sucks in my opinion from a fan perspective.

Without the old ratings at my fingertips, I'd think they have to be higher now than they would have been, simply because the audience was divided. Plus, it's difficult at best to compare those older numbers in a vacuum anyway since you'd be looking at it with what DarkCloud mentioned: a universe with only three or four viewing options instead of a couple of hundred plus the internet.

No matter what the number was then, it's virtually guaranteed to be lower now because there are simply so many more options to pull viewers, especially casual ones, away from the games.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #566
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The only thing I like about it is you can pretty much watch every game without missing another one but it draws on to long.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #567
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Without the old ratings at my fingertips, I'd think they have to be higher now than they would have been, simply because the audience was divided. Plus, it's difficult at best to compare those older numbers in a vacuum anyway since you'd be looking at it with what DarkCloud mentioned: a universe with only three or four viewing options instead of a couple of hundred plus the internet.

No matter what the number was then, it's virtually guaranteed to be lower now because there are simply so many more options to pull viewers, especially casual ones, away from the games.
Good points, but also consider that when all the games were on New Year's Day, it was easier for more casual fans to devote the whole day to watching bowl games. How many of those casual fans now spend all that time on New Year's Day plus parts of additional nights watching the current setup?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #568
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I remember back when I was in 5th or 6th grade that New Year's Day fell on a Sunday. So as not to conflict with NFL playoffs, the bowl games were moved to Monday the 2nd. That was also the day we were supposed to go back to school after Christmas break. I told my parents that we weren't supposed to go back until the 3rd, so I sat on my butt and watched bowl games all day. I got in big trouble, but it was worth it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #569
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think it was the 1987 fiesta bowl where the first bowl game was played after jan 1st.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #570
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Evena s far back as I go, I don't remember the Sugar Bowl being on the 1st. I remembered it being on New Year's Eve. I knew it had to be but I don't recall. I knew about the Cotton-Rose-Orange because I would watch them consecutively.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #571
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Evena s far back as I go, I don't remember the Sugar Bowl being on the 1st. I remembered it being on New Year's Eve. I knew it had to be but I don't recall. I knew about the Cotton-Rose-Orange because I would watch them consecutively.
I'm pretty sure it was on New Year's Day, part of the original "big four" bowl games. I doubt the SEC would've stood for their bowl not being on the same footing as the others...
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #572
Galaxy
Coordinator

The fun part about the old New Year's Eve/Day game is that each game meant something (something I would prefer than today's system if we don't have a playoff or something). The Cotton Bowl would have the winner of the Southwestern Conference, the traditional Big 10/Pac 10 Rose Bowl, Big 8 champ to the Fiesta Bowl, SEC to the Sugar, ect.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-07-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #573
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

January 1 always was a very cool day growing up, I agree.

Interesting that the Big 8 Champion was hooked up with the Orange Bowl back then (80's-early 90's), the farthest possible destination of one of the big time bowl games for the conference. The Fiesta Bowl actually didn't have any sort of tie-in's back then (what a cool concept).

I remember the Conference Champion tie-in's as such;

Sugar - SEC
Orange - Big 8
Rose - Big Ten/Pac 10
Cotton - SWC
Florida Citrus Bowl - ACC
Holiday - WAC
California (Raisin?) - MAC/Big West

There was no Big East, and there were a whole bunch of quality Independents.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #574
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Fiesta Bowl made quite the climb up the prestige ladder. They started off as the destination for the WAC champs way back, and then was unaffiliated after the Arizona schools left the WAC to bring the Pac-8 up to the Pac-10. They continued pumping money into it, moved it to New Year's Day and caught a big break in '86 when then independents Penn State and Miami (FL) were #1 and #2 and agreed to face each other in the Fiesta Bowl.

Rick Neuheisel's dad was one of the major players behind the scenes for the Fiesta Bowl.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #575
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The Fiesta Bowl made quite the climb up the prestige ladder. They started off as the destination for the WAC champs way back, and then was unaffiliated after the Arizona schools left the WAC to bring the Pac-8 up to the Pac-10. They continued pumping money into it, moved it to New Year's Day and caught a big break in '86 when then independents Penn State and Miami (FL) were #1 and #2 and agreed to face each other in the Fiesta Bowl.

Rick Neuheisel's dad was one of the major players behind the scenes for the Fiesta Bowl.

Strange to think of Penn State and Miami (FL) as independents.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #576
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN.com - E-Ticket: The Night College Football Went To Hell

Also the 87 Fiesta Bowl was the first to title sponsorship and has the highest ratings share of any college football game in history 24.9 share: 25.1% of households tuned in to watch the Fiesta Bowl, or over 70 million viewers.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-08-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #577
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Beanie Wells going pro.

Ohio State Buckeyes' Beanie Wells to forgo senior season for NFL - ESPN
Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #578
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The college football world has changed a lot in the last 20 years.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #579
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Not to me.

It's really just the opposite even after a long time otherwise, I still have to mentally adjust that sometimes.

And no, before anyone asks, I am not old enough to remember Georgia Tech being a member of the SEC.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #580
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
ESPN.com - E-Ticket: The Night College Football Went To Hell

Also the 87 Fiesta Bowl was the first to title sponsorship and has the highest ratings share of any college football game in history 24.9 share: 25.1% of households tuned in to watch the Fiesta Bowl, or over 70 million viewers.

Awesome article! Thanks for linking to it.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #581
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Not to me.

It's really just the opposite even after a long time otherwise, I still have to mentally adjust that sometimes.

Ditto.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #582
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I know exactly what Wilbon is talking about and that column is me to a tee. The games don't matter anymore. Unless you have a dog in the fight, most bowl games don't mean anything anymore. Do I care who is going to be #3? No. Back in the day, you would watch all the games. What if #2 absolutely drilled the #3 team in the land, and the #1 team had to comeback against the #6 team? Would #2 be impressive enough to get the title?

The fact of the matter was that we understood what teams needed to do to win the title. Win games, and win them convincingly. Now we have the BCS so that #1 plays #2, and no matter what happens, #3 has no chance to get to #1. When we had two undefeated teams at the end of the year, one had no shot to win it all because they had not played in the big game. This year, when several teams have only one loss, what chance do any besides Oklahoma and Florida to win the whole thing? None.

So tonight, instead of watching a game I have no interest in, I will be watching Good Eats on Food Network.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #583
kingfc22
Head Coach

Florida 34
OU 24
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #584
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

This will be one of the few times I ever root for the Sooners because I hate the Gators that much.

However I am expecting Florida to win this one without much effort.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #585
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

anti-climatic game and all, but that said...it's kinda cool to see the last two Heisman winners face off against each other.

Save for that, the game just doesn't really have much punch. I dunno if it's because it's because the season seems to go on forever, the long break between the big games after the regular season or something else.

But...save for all of the hoopla with the BCS trying to validate itself and people bashing it, it's a decent matchup as far as matchups go.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #586
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
anti-climatic game

?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #587
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I know exactly what Wilbon is talking about and that column is me to a tee. The games don't matter anymore. Unless you have a dog in the fight, most bowl games don't mean anything anymore. Do I care who is going to be #3? No. Back in the day, you would watch all the games. What if #2 absolutely drilled the #3 team in the land, and the #1 team had to comeback against the #6 team? Would #2 be impressive enough to get the title?

The fact of the matter was that we understood what teams needed to do to win the title. Win games, and win them convincingly. Now we have the BCS so that #1 plays #2, and no matter what happens, #3 has no chance to get to #1. When we had two undefeated teams at the end of the year, one had no shot to win it all because they had not played in the big game. This year, when several teams have only one loss, what chance do any besides Oklahoma and Florida to win the whole thing? None.

So tonight, instead of watching a game I have no interest in, I will be watching Good Eats on Food Network.

That's a good point. I could care less about Oklahoma and Florida.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #588
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
?

All of this buildup to a game that just isn't that exciting unless you're a fan of one of these teams or their conferences.

The BCS/playoff fatigue, coupled with the fact that these games are on random days now, make it hard to get excited about this. I mean, I guess if you like hype it's exciting..but otherwise? Meh.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #589
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I'm calling an Oklahoma win.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #590
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

OU got cheated the ball was already snapped, nice to see Ron Cherry still mucking up calls.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #591
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was a nice hit. Looking forward to a hard hitting game.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #592
Galaxy
Coordinator

Isn't that a penalty on that hit? Look like the Florida back led with his helmet.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #593
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I'm calling an Oklahoma win.

Is this kind of like when a network calls an election with 1% of precincts reporting in what is supposed to be a close race.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-08-2009 at 07:38 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #594
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
All of this buildup to a game that just isn't that exciting unless you're a fan of one of these teams or their conferences.

The BCS/playoff fatigue, coupled with the fact that these games are on random days now, make it hard to get excited about this. I mean, I guess if you like hype it's exciting..but otherwise? Meh.

I like good competitive high stakes football games. Hype has nothing to do with it. This will be an awesome game.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #595
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

That pick was in the air for a looooonnnnnngggg time.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #596
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
That pick was in the air for a looooonnnnnngggg time.

That slow release will get eaten in the NFL.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #597
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
That slow release will get eaten in the NFL.

More like the lack of arm strength
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #598
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

That was a massive hold right in front of Bradford.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #599
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess that hold explains why Bradford had enough time to sit back and make a sandwich.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-08-2009 at 07:49 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #600
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't like either team or either conference, but I'm still excited to watch this game.