Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #551
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yawn, you haters are so cute.

Eli had to show amazing moxy in not panicking when he was in the grasp and being able to make that throw.

He also won 3 playoff games in a row on the road and led the Giants on a game winning TD drive with 2 minutes left in the superbowl.

Try and take away from Eli all you want, but we know what happens when a team has a stellar defense and an incompetint QB ( see the Bears.)

You're right. Eli Manning = Trent Dilfer.

I kid I kid.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #552
watravaler
High School JV

He's closer to Dilfer than Peyton...

I kid I kid...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #553
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I told a girl at work about that website yesterday, and she didn't show up to work today. Maybe she found herself on it and is embarrassed now.

That would be sweet.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #554
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
That would be sweet.
I have three options here:

1. Wait for her to come back and ask her where she's been. If she's on it, that would embarrass her further.
2. Search that site tonight for pictures of her. Unfortunately, my wife will see what I'm doing and demand an explanation.
3. Assume that the girl is out sick or something. That wouldn't be any fun, though.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #555
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Throw Hail Mary to well-covered, seldom used 4th receiver who makes possibly the greatest catch in history? Check

Make one of the best escapes in Superbowl history? Check.
Throw it so your receiver has the best shot at catching it? Check.

Quote:
Have the NFL's interceptions leader let a pass go through his hands on final drive? Check

Are people still pretending this is a catchable ball? He jumped up for it and it still went off his fingertips. It's not like it came right at him and he dropped it.

Quote:
Nearly lead Plaxico Burress out of bounds when he didn't have a defender within 10 feet of him on the winning TD? Check

You've got to be kidding me. You're really reaching here.

Quote:
Defense holds opposing, record-setting offense to 14 points? Check

2 games earlier, throw for 163 yards and have your D hold Dallas' offense to 17 pts? Check

It takes a good defense to win? Who knew? Still not sure how that undermines Eli's performance.

Also, I like how you post the 163 yards against Dallas as if Eli had a bad game. He was 12 of 18 for 163 yards and 2 TD's. His QB rating was 132.4, but i guess it's his fault for only attempting 18 passes.

Quote:
Way to go Eli, that was all you!

No one said it was all him, just that he played very good in the postseason and frankly it's pretty ridiculous to argue otherwise.

Quote:
Throw in his passer rating of 73.9 for the season

Or his 95.7 rating in the playoffs.

Quote:
and career high with 20 picks

Or his 1 pick in 4 postseason games.

Quote:
or his poor performance in Week 1 this year, the only time he's played an actual NFL team this year,

Well those 4 playoff games were all this year, but I'm assuming you meant this season. If so, saying he's only played 1 real NFL team after 2 weeks is pretty silly. His combined QB rating against the two is 93.0.

Quote:
and some* might be tempted to think the Giants as a team, led by the defensive line were responsible for winning those games, and Eli hasn't actually turned any corner at all. *Some=me.

Of course, you'd have to ignore the fact that Eli played very well in the postseason, and three of those games were decided by less than a TD, so the Giants wouldn't have won jack with a lesser performance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #556
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Throw it so your receiver has the best shot at catching it? Check.

Manning had no business throwing that ball where he did...have a look...4, count 'em, 4 Patriots in the vicinity and Tyree saves Manning's ass with a remarkable catch.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #557
MikeVic
Head Coach

Read this comment on PFT and cracked up:

what do frank costanza and desean jackson have in common,they both stop short.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #558
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Manning had no business throwing that ball where he did...have a look...4, count 'em, 4 Patriots in the vicinity and Tyree saves Manning's ass with a remarkable catch.

you can look back at any playoff run and find a play that was "luck" or had it gone the other way or whatever.

Anyone that tries to take anything away from what the Giants and Eli did last year are in serious denial.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #559
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It seems pretty arbitrary when the media decides to make a huge deal out of something like that.

Don Imus was front page news for weeks for a comment that really wasn't as bad as that.

I don't think i agree with you on this. Maybe it is because my wife is hispanic, but that comment wasn't bad at all to me. It is pretty obvious that he is making fun of his own understanding of the spanish language. I don't even see this in the same category as what Imus said (or continues to say from time to time)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #560
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
you can look back at any playoff run and find a play that was "luck" or had it gone the other way or whatever.

Anyone that tries to take anything away from what the Giants and Eli did last year are in serious denial.

I agree, the Giants had a remarkable run last year. What I question is whether or not Eli took the proverbial next step or if he just got hot for a few games along with the entire team. I personally think it was more the latter. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #561
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I agree, the Giants had a remarkable run last year. What I question is whether or not Eli took the proverbial next step or if he just got hot for a few games along with the entire team. I personally think it was more the latter. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think you have a point, but winning 3 straight road playoff games then beating an 18-0 team in the playoffs, there is no way anyone can say Eli had nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-16-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #562
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Completely agree with you...the stars needed to align and they obviously did for the Giants last year...hats off to them...but when somebody claims that Manning put that ball where only Tyree could catch is obviously not of sound mind. Manning did his best impression of Brett Favre and threw up a prayer...thankfully for the Giants, Tyree answered that prayer.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #563
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Shrug. The way it looks to me is that Eli sees Tyree and launches it. Do we have a shot of Tyree from when Eli threw the ball? My guess is that Tyree looked open at the time and the Pats converged by the time it arrived. If they were there when the ball was thrown, then they certainly played some shitty pass defense on that play. If that makes me not of "sound mind", then so be it.

Still, I think the criticism Eli gets is ridiculous. Now we're oging to say that he can't play against "real" NFL teams based on two games this season, completely ignoring how well he played in the postseason against the three best teams in the league?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #564
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

helloooooooooooooooo tuck rule
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #565
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Still, I think the criticism Eli gets is ridiculous. Now we're going to say that he can't play against "real" NFL teams based on two games this season, completely ignoring how well he played in the postseason against the three best teams in the league?
I'm not saying he can't play against real NFL teams. He's an average, respectable NFL starter, who has had QB ratings between 73 and 78 all 3 full seasons. I just haven't seen evidence that he has turned a corner into an elite QB or "learned to win big games" (whatever that means) while Romo hasn't. Especially once we consider the amount of luck involved (and yes, I would have said the same thing about Brady after his 1st SB run, which involved the Tuck Rule game, ST and Bledsoe beating the Steelers and the defense stepping up huge against the Rams offense.)

At the end of the day, he doesn't have great recognition (evidenced by the INT numbers) and he's just not accurate enough imo. Burress especially bails him out on overthrown balls at least twice a game, generally for huge gains. Now, since I compared his run to Brady's 1st SB run, maybe he really will turn that corner soon and prove me wrong. Fine, but I just don't see him being a better QB than Romo or having some magic pixie dust that "clutch" QB's have. (I also think that "clutch" QB's are overstated.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #566
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

He has a ring and thats all that matters.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #567
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Not if we're trying to predict the future.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #568
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well, I'm not in the camp that believes rings are all that defines a player. (I'm a Marino fan). Still, Eli played very, very good in the postseason in hostile environments. And I'd say two games into the next season (one good, one bad) is way too early to discount his postseason run as luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #569
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The game last night drew the single biggest audience ever for a cable program.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/913678.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #570
molson
General Manager

If anyone is worried about the Vikings, fret no more!!

Punchless Vikings ditch Jackson, turn to Frerotte as starter
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #571
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I have three options here:

1. Wait for her to come back and ask her where she's been. If she's on it, that would embarrass her further.
2. Search that site tonight for pictures of her. Unfortunately, my wife will see what I'm doing and demand an explanation.
3. Assume that the girl is out sick or something. That wouldn't be any fun, though.

Did she come in yet?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #572
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If anyone is worried about the Vikings, fret no more!!

Punchless Vikings ditch Jackson, turn to Frerotte as starter

LOL! Gus Frerotte to the rescue!!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #573
Jas_lov
College Starter

That's great news. Remember when many people were saying the Vikings would overtake the Packers in the NFC North? LOL! The better move would have been to fire Brad Childress.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #574
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The better move would have been to fire Brad Childress.

It didn't take a genius to see last year that Jackson was in way over his head. Why the hell would they bring Frerotte in as a backup is beyond me. At this point, you have to look beyond the players and scrutinize the front office. I liked Childress as the Offensive Coordinator when he was with the Eagles. But as a Head Coach, he's been too darn conservative. Time for him to go...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #575
Jas_lov
College Starter

It's a desperate move to save his ass. Brett Favre was gone and the Vikings were expected to make the playoffs this year. They had all the pieces in place except QB, but Childress was very high on Jackson. Isn't Jeff Garcia available now that Griese is the starter? He'd be a lot better than Frerotte, but I doubt Tampa would just hand him over for peanuts to a potential wild card rival. Here is the Vikings upcoming schedule before the bye and it ain't gonna be easy. 3-4 is about the best they can hope for.

Carolina
at Tennessee
at New Orleans
Detroit
at Chicago
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #576
Thomkal
Head Coach

In an announcement that probably only makes me excited, the Chiefs have named Coastal Carolina's Tyler Thigpen as the starter for their game against Atlanta this week. Can't wait to see how he does with his first start.

ESPN - Chiefs QB Thigpen to start vs. Falcons - NFL
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote