Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #551
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This thread is about as entertaining as the last two minutes of a regular season NBA game.

Feel free to add to the discussion at any time. (though I suspect you just said this because you think you're funny)

Last edited by molson : 05-19-2008 at 08:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #552
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Few different points to hit here.-This is the 2nd most ridiculous thing in the thread. The Celtics are my team, but during the regular season, they weren't my favorite team to watch - that would be Golden State - because it was generally "ugly", defensive basketball. After 66 wins in the regular season and 8 more in the playoffs, those missed shots stop being luck and start being good defense.

I was talking about Pierce's freethrow where it almost missed but bounced in.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #553
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Feel free to add to the discussion at any time. (though I suspect you just said this because you think you're funny)

If I talked about the playoffs, I'd be discussing it with myself. Must've missed the thread title of "Who has the biggest whiny bandwagon fanbase?"
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #554
Logan
Head Coach

Fair enough and agreed Ronnie.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #555
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boston fans are really uptight. Thankfully their time has come to pay the Billups.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #556
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If I talked about the playoffs, I'd be discussing it with myself. Must've missed the thread title of "Who has the biggest whiny bandwagon fanbase?"

It has nothing to do with my fanbase, it's just that my #1 message board pet peeve is people who drop into a thread just to say that the whole conversation sucks. That's what I was responding to.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #557
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Thankfully their time has come to pay the Billups.

I like this.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #558
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It has nothing to do with my fanbase, it's just that my #1 message board pet peeve is people who drop into a thread just to say that the whole conversation sucks. That's what I was responding to.

My #1 message board pet peeve is when people take a thread off topic with a pissing match. That's what I was responding to.

And just for the record, just because someone doesn't have 100 posts in a thread, it doesn't mean he or she "just dropped in."
Old 05-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #559
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't really follow the NBA all that closely. I keep tabs on how the Pistons are doing, but have probably watched a grand total of 15 minutes of NBA basketball this year (all playoffs).

That said, what accounts for such a ridiculous home court advantage? Does the home team get that many more free throw opportunities?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #560
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My apologies for interrupting this fascinating debate with something vaguely on-topic. I beg the board's forgiveness for this faux pax.

Quote:
I agree with the spirit of your point if I was saying something different. But in THIS series, I didn't think Lebron was that great, and he'll take zero heat for it. Just my opinion. You can be great in a losing effort, and I just don't think he was great in this series. I think he underachieved, compared with this prior performances with this same supporting cast. I know his supporting cast sucks, they always have, but he still could have won this series.

Every time I turned on the TV the last couple weeks and Cavs-Celtics was being discussed, it was A) Why can't Boston win on the road, and B) What the heck is wrong with LeBron James. So I think it isn't accurate that he'll take zero heat for it inasmuch as he was already taking a fair amount earlier in the series when he deserved it(the last three or four games he shot a much better rate than the first half of the series). I do give him some blame, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he's underacheived compared to previously with the same cast, since the cast isn't the same(two starters are now playing for the Bulls) and Boston is a better defensive team than he's faced with the possible exception of SA last year and that didn't turn out so well for him.

Might Cleveland have won if he'd played better? Sure. I also think they'd have been more likely to win before the trade of Hughes and Gooden, or if Sczerbiak had provided the shooting he was brought in to provide, or if Gibson had played the way he did against Detroit last year, etc. There's plenty of blame to go around and I wouldn't land a particularly large amount of it at LeBron's feet, particularly since they nearly beat a clearly superior team.

Oh, and I say the winner of tonight's Hornets-Spurs game will be the champ this year.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-19-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #561
MikeVic
Head Coach

lol nice foul by Ginobili there.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #562
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
what accounts for such a ridiculous home court advantage? Does the home team get that many more free throw opportunities?

It's an anomaly this year. Same round last year was 13-10 for the home team, 13-8 the year before.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #563
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ughhh. I despise the Spurs.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #564
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ah well, Spurs-Pistons, here we come...

Still, Hornets are some bench depth and a SG away from being a very, very good team.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #565
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers in 6
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #566
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I have Pistons and Spurs each winning in six. The Lakers are certainly capable of beating SA, but their lack of a bench is a big issue and they don't have anyone who can handle Duncan in the post.

BTW Tyson Chandler was most impressive tonight. Duncan couldn't do a thing against him late.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-20-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #567
MrBug708
Head Coach

The better question is who is Duncan going to guard?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #568
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Duncan will almost certainly guard Gasol, it's the only matchup that makes sense.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #569
Groundhog
Coordinator

With Duncan on Gasol and Bowen on Kobe, Lakers should be looking to get the ball to Odom in the post.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #570
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Ah well, Spurs-Pistons, here we come...

Still, Hornets are some bench depth and a SG away from being a very, very good team.

I'd argue that the Hornets are a very, very good team as-is. They're some bench depth and a SG away from being flat-out amazing.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #571
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Agreed, Hornets are pretty darn good and other than LA and Portland I can't think of a team in the West with a brighter future.

As far as posting up Odom -- that may work some but it's not really his strength and I don't see him doing much in there against Thomas, though he could certainly have success against Oberto with a big edge in athleticism much as West had in the last series.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #572
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
As far as posting up Odom -- that may work some but it's not really his strength and I don't see him doing much in there against Thomas, though he could certainly have success against Oberto with a big edge in athleticism much as West had in the last series.

He's not a "back the guy down" kind of player, but his athleticism works well enough for him when he turns his back to the basket. He has some nice explosive spins out of the post and finishes well in traffic.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #573
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Duncan will almost certainly guard Gasol, it's the only matchup that makes sense.

Lakers do have a size advantage. I would imagine Lakers can hid Walton and Rad Mon on Bowen. He did torch the Lakers for quite a few 3's earlier in the year however.

Odom will be the key player
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #574
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed, Hornets are pretty darn good and other than LA and Portland I can't think of a team in the West with a brighter future.

Actually, Odom might be the best player on the team with his back to the basket, and has been for some time. The problem has been getting him to go to the block and to stay there long enough to receive a pass. He isn't all that wild about playing from the block.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #575
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

David Stern and all the ABC Executives are on the verge of a heart attack.

They are facing the dream Lakers vs. Celtics match-up... or....

the dreaded Spurs vs. Pistons ratings killer!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #576
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I really do think the Lakers will take the Spurs next round. My impression of SA is that they needed absolutely every ounce of guile and grizzled veteran experience to eke this one out over a playoff novice that really looked like a playoff novice in its first game 7. I don't think that they will have the same advantage over the Lakers. I just feel like their window is almost closed.

The Hornets' window is just starting to open. More so than in any other sport, in the NBA it's basically impossible for a young fresh team to maneuver all the way to a championship in its first playoff try. They are going to be around a long time and I can't wait. I feel like New Orleans is finally going to get a damn pro sports championship from this team within the next few years. Barring devastating injuries, Chris Paul is going to win at least one ring in his career.

I think the NBA will get its wish for the Lakers in the finals, but I don't know how they're going to be able to get the Celtics there without their interference being incredibly blatant. I'm thinking Lakers-Pistons. Hey, it's still a classic 80s rematch.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 AM   #577
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, Odom might be the best player on the team with his back to the basket, and has been for some time. The problem has been getting him to go to the block and to stay there long enough to receive a pass. He isn't all that wild about playing from the block.

That or taking the initiative to actually shoot more. Some of his 4-6 games are frustrating. No matter what you think of Kobe, Odom does see the ball more then just 6 times a game
Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 AM   #578
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I think the NBA will get its wish for the Lakers in the finals, but I don't know how they're going to be able to get the Celtics there without their interference being incredibly blatant. I'm thinking Lakers-Pistons. Hey, it's still a classic 80s rematch.

The negativity on this board sucks! j/k

But seriously, saying the Celtics won't make it there without blatant interference? No, they don't look like they are going steamroll the Pistons, but they do still have home-court and are still a very good team.

We'll see what happens tonight, but I still (blatant homerism) see C's in 6.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #579
rkmsuf
Head Coach

All 8:30 starts for detoilet/c's. That's goddamn fucking ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #580
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
But seriously, saying the Celtics won't make it there without blatant interference? No, they don't look like they are going steamroll the Pistons, but they do still have home-court and are still a very good team.

They don't look like they could steamroll the Grizzlies right now.

I dunno, I know there's more to this team than what I've seen thus far in the playoffs, but I have yet to be impressed. We'll see. Maybe they've just been saving up the good basketball for the conference finals.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #581
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
All 8:30 starts for detoilet/c's. That's goddamn fucking ridiculous.

What's wrong with 8:30 starts? That's prime time, baby.

What start times would have made you happy?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #582
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

earlier obviously

what a joke for kids especially

don't even get me started on the 9pm finals games
Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

6 weeks from now, when the finals start, kids will all be home from school for the summer.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #584
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
6 weeks from now, when the finals start, kids will all be home from school for the summer.

so. doesn't mean they can all stay up all night to watch these things.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #585
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
earlier obviously

what a joke for kids especially

don't even get me started on the 9pm finals games

8:30 isn't too late. It'll be 5:30 on the West Coast. That seems pretty reasonable.

The kids should be able to stay up to catch most of the game. It will build character.

Detroit fans routinely have to suffer through 10:00 pm starts for hockey playoff games.

An 8:30 start is nothing.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #586
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think the Spurs looked just as bad, if not worse, in their losses than the C's.

The Spurs have had some bad losses, but (a) the Hornets are much tougher competition than the Hawks and Cavs, and (b) the Spurs won a game 7 on the road in a very tough environment, one of the harder things to do in sports. That said, I don't see them getting past LA either.

Again, I'm sure Boston didn't win 66 games and have a lights-out record against the West by accident, but it's just really hard to see how they managed to do that based on their playoff performance.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #587
Logan
Head Coach

Just a heads-up that the draft lottery airs from 8-8:30 (probably more like 8:22-8:30) on ESPN tonight.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #588
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

The only time that makes people on the East Coast happy is a time when people on the West Coast are still at work. 8:30 is a fair compromise, and I imagine there's been a little research into this to maximize viewership.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #589
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bulls jump into the top 3 picks
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #590
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow...Bulls get the top pick.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #591
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Minnesota #3
Miami #2
Chicago #1
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #592
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Derrick Rose back to his hometown?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #593
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Well I just shit my pants.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #594
Galaxy
Coordinator

Boy, Mike must be kicking himself for passing up Chicago for NY.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #595
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Boy, Mike must be kicking himself for passing up Chicago for NY.

lol seriously
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #596
Groundhog
Coordinator

Tough to pick who goes #1 now. If I'm Chicago I probably go with Beasley, which would probably please the Heat as well.

Knicks can kiss goodbye their hopes of getting a quality bigman or PG.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #597
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Boy I hope Chicago takes Beasley.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #598
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just got tickets for Game 3 of the ECF. I'm pumped.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #599
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That Allen 3 was a chance to make a HUGE statement, his confidence has to be completely shot.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #600
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That Allen 3 was a chance to make a HUGE statement, his confidence has to be completely shot.

poor Ray-Ray