Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #551
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
That is the $64,000 question.

Their major mistake is having coming out weeks ago going 'Aaron's our QB.. Aaron's our QB..' That left them nowhere to go. Given that it is a young team, I think most of the younger players probably bonded better with Rodgers than Favre so it would not surprise me that the Packers going back on their word and removing Aaron might be best from a public standpoint, but probably not a team standpoint.

Releasing him might be the best from a PR/Team standpoint (just to make it go away), but not the best from a business standpoint. (He does have value)

That's why this thing has dragged on. There is no right thing to do that won't have a negative impact.

Problem is, I think Rodgers is the "right" quarterback now. With the season just a few weeks away, and camp in full swing, the offense is built around Rodgers. It would be tough to bring Favre back, re-tool the offense to his abilities, and have all the offensive players up-to-speed on the system and playbook.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-31-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #552
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Problem is, I think Rodgers is a better quarterback now. With the season just a few weeks away, and camp in full swing, the offense is built around Rodgers. It would be tough to bring Favre back, re-tool the offense to his abilities, and have all the offensive players up-to-speed on the system and playbook.

But it's Brett Favre. He's a force of nature.

Cue NFL Films music.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #553
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Cut to Favre's worst 10 INTs
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #554
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Now he is considering the offer to remain retired.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #555
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

He's worse than a woman...or John Kerry for that matter with his flip flopping!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #556
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Now he is considering the offer to remain retired.

Wait. How could Brett Favre take money to remain retired? I thought he loved the game of football like no man before him. How could he - who has far more money than he'd ever need - take money to not play a game he just loves so much?

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #557
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wait. How could Brett Favre take money to remain retired? I thought he loved the game of football like no man before him. How could he - who has far more money than he'd ever need - take money to not play a game he just loves so much?

My guess? I think it's posturing. I also think it's so Goodall knows the report was true. With the salary cap implications, I don't see how this is a legal move. I understand the Packers have the cap space, but some other team at some other point may not. I don't think you can allow a team to simply buy off a player and skirt the salary cap by doing it.

If he takes it and it's legal, that solves it for the Packers.My gut tells me that he's still coming back.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #558
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
My guess? I think it's posturing. I also think it's so Goodall knows the report was true. With the salary cap implications, I don't see how this is a legal move. I understand the Packers have the cap space, but some other team at some other point may not. I don't think you can allow a team to simply buy off a player and skirt the salary cap by doing it.

If he takes it and it's legal, that solves it for the Packers.My gut tells me that he's still coming back.

Oh, I agree. I don't think he'll take the money, but even the fact that he's willing to flirt with the notion for posturing is wonderful.

I am not sure how such an agreement would work under the cap or even if such a payment would (or should) be counted against the cap. I don't know enough about the CBA.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #559
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This deal would have no effect on the Packers cap. It is not money as a player, it is not a player contract. The way I heard it put in the most simple terms is that it would be a 'team marketing' deal. Basically he is working for the team, in a front office type of roll, doing nothing but showing up to things like his HoF induction.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #560
Jas_lov
College Starter

Cringer is right, it's not a cap violation. They can give Favre any role with the team such as a consultant and pay him whatever. I don't think he'll take that deal though because I believe he really does want to play and some people are being too hard on him for merely considering taking the deal. I think both sides are willing to consider any solution at this point but will they actually go through with it? Maybe not, but they'll at least consider it. I wish Favre would just take the deal though and go away, or be willing to play for the lowly Jets if all he wants to do is play football.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #561
miami_fan
Coordinator

The longer this goes on and the more I review the timeline, the more I find myself blaming Brett more and more. As has been stated before, this is not his first go around with the retirement issue in the offseason. This year, he seemed to be very upset that the Packers had the gall to ask him to make a decision early in the offseason before the draft. So he makes his decision to retire. A few weeks later, a report comes out that Brett's agent was looking for other teams for Brett to play for. I am going to guess that the Packers asked and were told the same story ESPN got. The story was "absolutely false."

Later in the offseason, he asked to come back and then a couple days later said never mind. Even as his mother and brother were proclaiming his desire to come back a couple weeks before training camp, Brett was saying it was "just a rumor." Now, not only did he want to come back to play, he wants to play under his conditions and his conditions only .Yes, it is his right to do so but once again it is not consistent with the "love of the game" Brett that we have gotten to know.

IMO it looks like Brett had already made the decision to come back long before he made his announcement in July. I also believe he made the decision that he wanted to play for a team other the Packers or should I say he does not want to play for the Packers with Ted Thompson as GM.

Are the Packers blameless? Of course not. I think the Packers should have seen this coming and had a better plan of action. Could they just give bring him back as a starter, trade him to the Vikings, or give him release? Sure. It would have been consistent with the bending over backwards practices of previous offseason. I find it interesting however that somehow the Packers owe Brett anything and everything he wants to make him happy but Brett has not and does not owe the Packers anything at all including honesty.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #562
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Cringer is right, it's not a cap violation. They can give Favre any role with the team such as a consultant and pay him whatever. I don't think he'll take that deal though because I believe he really does want to play and some people are being too hard on him for merely considering taking the deal. I think both sides are willing to consider any solution at this point but will they actually go through with it? Maybe not, but they'll at least consider it. I wish Favre would just take the deal though and go away, or be willing to play for the lowly Jets if all he wants to do is play football.

I don't think you guys are getting at what I'm saying here.

Favre has announced he wants to come back. He's sent the letter to Goodall. When Goodall signs that sheet, the Packers have 24 hours to do something with him, or he hits another 11 million dollars on their cap.

Imagine if this is Jerry Jones or Pat Bowlen. They have a 12 time pro bowl MLB who wants to play for the Redskins or Raiders. He sends in his paperwork and they know that if he walks into camp and his cap number hits, other players will have to be let go. They don't want to do it. They don't want him playing for their rivals. So they buy said player out and tell him to refile retirement paperwork.

That goes against the entire idea of a salary cap. I can't see how Goodall would allow that to happen.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #563
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

When did Favre moph into a 12 year old girl? From ESPN.com

Quote:
Mixed Messages ...in a text message. Yes, that's how we heard from Brett Favre. He said that he's considering the Packers' deal to remain retired, but maintains that he wants to play. Which will he choose?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #564
TroyF
Coordinator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The longer this goes on and the more I review the timeline, the more I find myself blaming Brett more and more. As has been stated before, this is not his first go around with the retirement issue in the offseason. This year, he seemed to be very upset that the Packers had the gall to ask him to make a decision early in the offseason before the draft. So he makes his decision to retire. A few weeks later, a report comes out that Brett's agent was looking for other teams for Brett to play for. I am going to guess that the Packers asked and were told the same story ESPN got. The story was "absolutely false."

Later in the offseason, he asked to come back and then a couple days later said never mind. Even as his mother and brother were proclaiming his desire to come back a couple weeks before training camp, Brett was saying it was "just a rumor." Now, not only did he want to come back to play, he wants to play under his conditions and his conditions only .Yes, it is his right to do so but once again it is not consistent with the "love of the game" Brett that we have gotten to know.

IMO it looks like Brett had already made the decision to come back long before he made his announcement in July. I also believe he made the decision that he wanted to play for a team other the Packers or should I say he does not want to play for the Packers with Ted Thompson as GM.

Are the Packers blameless? Of course not. I think the Packers should have seen this coming and had a better plan of action. Could they just give bring him back as a starter, trade him to the Vikings, or give him release? Sure. It would have been consistent with the bending over backwards practices of previous offseason. I find it interesting however that somehow the Packers owe Brett anything and everything he wants to make him happy but Brett has not and does not owe the Packers anything at all including honesty.

Favre is not blameless. He's also not some monster. All the guy has done is start every game for the franchise for 14 years. EVERY game. He's given up a lot for the franchise. He hasn't held the franchise hostage the last three years either. Quite the opposite, I think the franchise has been busienss as usual. They've rebuilt the defense, brought in young, not expensive WR. (this included not signing Moss, letting Javon Walker go and not spending a first rounder on any WR for the sake of Brett) They drafted Rodgers simply because they thought he was to talented to slip any further.

I understand where the people against Favre are coming from. I agree with some of it. Yet all of this "woe the poor Packers" garbage is starting to wear a little thin. I'm pretty sure about 15 to 20 other teams in the league wished they'd have a hall of fame QB debate about coming back to them. It's not like Rodgers was ready to go before this year either. His rookie training camp was average at best. In the middle of his second training camp, there were rumors the Packers wanted to trade him. He did play that year in recovery mode and was hurt. Last year he was close to being ready, but I'm not sure you can complain about the year Favre had.

I don't think either side is that much to blame. Brett wants to play again. The Packers want to move on. Fine.

The point of the debate on here from my side has been pretty simple: Favre holds the cards. If he really wants to be the Minnesota QB, he will be. No matter the GB denials, no matter what else comes out. They aren't paying him 12 million to sit on the bench behind Rodgers. (unless they REALLY hate Aaron Rodgers) They won't be able to justify to the union why Favre would be a third stringer. Favre can control who he wants to play for by simply telling the other team "I don't like it there." The Jets or Bucs arent' giving up a draft pick for a player who doesn't want to be there.

The Packers will eventually cave. The writing was on the wall from the beginning of this. I can't believe me and Eaglesfan27 were the only people who saw it. If the Packers get lucky and Favre accepts the buy out without repurcussions from the league? I have to applaud Thompson. Brilliant move.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #565
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think you guys are getting at what I'm saying here.

Favre has announced he wants to come back. He's sent the letter to Goodall. When Goodall signs that sheet, the Packers have 24 hours to do something with him, or he hits another 11 million dollars on their cap.

Imagine if this is Jerry Jones or Pat Bowlen. They have a 12 time pro bowl MLB who wants to play for the Redskins or Raiders. He sends in his paperwork and they know that if he walks into camp and his cap number hits, other players will have to be let go. They don't want to do it. They don't want him playing for their rivals. So they buy said player out and tell him to refile retirement paperwork.

That goes against the entire idea of a salary cap. I can't see how Goodall would allow that to happen.

Whether it's a $20 million contract to stay off the team, or a $200k "marketing" contract that more guys sign, if one isn't on the cap, the other doesn't have to be. But it doesn't even matter...the poison pill contract Steve Hutchinson signed was a travesty and a complete "fuck you" to the salary cap, since it could only hurt one team, and that doesn't mean it couldn't be done at the time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #566
molson
General Manager

If Favre ends up on the Vikings it will be because the Packers decided he'll suck there and not be a threat to them, they wouldn't be bowing down to the greatness and legacy of the almighty Favre.

I'm tired of people acting as if the Packers should act differently that what would be in their best interests because a guy had a good career with them. Favre isn't the first star player in the history of sports to lose his job to a younger player. He signed his contract and made his bed.

I would dare him to come back and sit on the bench as the emergency QB. The fans can yell all they want, Favre ain't coming in unless Rodgers and Brohm go down. Rodgers is a big boy. If I cut him, I'd do it after training camp, a week or two into the season, limiting the effectiveness he might have for a rival.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2008 at 10:47 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #567
Logan
Head Coach

Keep patting yourself on the back Troy. It doesn't make you right.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #568
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Keep patting yourself on the back Troy. It doesn't make you right.

It's hillarious when people tell you "I told you so" before the predicted event even happens.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The Packers will eventually cave. The writing was on the wall from the beginning of this. I can't believe me and Eaglesfan27 were the only people who saw it.

I don't think you were.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #570
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If Favre ends up on the Vikings it will be because the Packers decided he'll suck there and not be a threat to them, they wouldn't be bowing down to the greatness and legacy of the almighty Favre.

I'm tired of people acting as if the Packers should act differently that what would be in their best interests because a guy had a good career with them. Favre isn't the first star player in the history of sports to lose his job to a younger player. He signed his contract and made his bed.

I would dare him to come back and sit on the bench as the emergency QB. The fans can yell all they want, Favre ain't coming in unless Rodgers and Brohm go down. Rodgers is a big boy. If I cut him, I'd do it after training camp, a week or two into the season, limiting the effectiveness he might have for a rival.

I disagree with the first part some. I think they would trade him to the Vikes because they feel that is the lesser of two evils between that and having him in training camp as a backup. It would create a zoo atmosphere of media for a month and beyond in Green Bay. That would really distract the team, a team in which over 20% of whom have never been on a team with Favre (and yes this is a fact as far as I know, from the Packers themselves).
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #571
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
It's hillarious when people tell you "I told you so" before the predicted event even happens.

This coming from the guy who said this:

"Three pages ago you were sure that Favre would play for any team he wanted to (and get his release). The Packers have subsequently shot that down. I think you're really overestimating his popularity - and also the Packers fans' loyalty to their team over Favre."

I'm not saying I told you so. I'm making a prediction. The same one I made from the start of this. And if Favre goes to the Vikings, it's not because GB doesn't think he'll be a threat. Hell, the entire point of what they've been doing is because they KNOW he's a threat. It's because they don't want to pay a guy 12 million dollars to sit on the bench at the same time their young QB is trying to make his way in the league.

They tried to pretend for weeks that it didn't matter if Favre showed up, they'd deal with it then. Funny how quickly that backtracked when Favre set a date. They've begged with him, pleaded with him and have now tried to buy him off so he doesn't show up. All they are doing is what I've been saying they'd do from my first post in this thread. It's why Favre holds the cards.

Now, could they reverse course? Sure. it's not over. Maybe their buyout bid works. (and if it does, I said it would be brilliant) Maybe they convince Favre to go to Tampa. I'm not saying I'm right or asking for a pat on the back.

I'm stating the opinion I had sinse this fiasco started. I've been consistent with it. I haven't taken quotes from the team or from Brett as gospel. I've simply said what I think will happen and have stayed the course.

If I am right, big freakin whoop. I'm pretty sure it's not going to help me build up a retirement fund. If I'm wrong, big whoop. Hell, I said Bledsoe shouldn't have been benched for Brady. I've been wrong before and will be wrong plenty more.

The only thing that stuns me in this is how many people bought the Packers statements early on and didn't see this coming to a head. Also the people who think Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy come through this unscathed if Rodgers ends up sucking. Time will tell who is right/wrong/other.

Just curious, isn't this supposed to be fun? Just an FYI: If Favre is kept on by the Pack as a 12 million dollar backup or is shipped to Tampa, I'm not going to be bothered by either of you telling me I was wrong and you were right. To each his own I guess.

I
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #572
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I I think they would trade him to the Vikes because they feel that is the lesser of two evils between that and having him in training camp as a backup. It would create a zoo atmosphere of media for a month and beyond in Green Bay.

Maybe, but that assumes the Vikings are the only team that's interested. But if Favre is that great, and so obviously better than Rodgers at this point in his career, surely there'd be more takers.

If the Packers trade him to the Vikings instead of some other teams only because that's what Brett Favre wants, and not because they think it will actually help them in the division, they're a joke a franchise and get what they deserve.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #573
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The only thing that stuns me in this is how many people bought the Packers statements early on and didn't see this coming to a head. Also the people who think Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy come through this unscathed if Rodgers ends up sucking. Time will tell who is right/wrong/other.

I apparently did give them too much credit that they wouldn't be Favre's bitch.

Caving to superstars isn't the answer, though it's better then pretending to be tough and them caving. Look at the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez. You give a guy free reign to be an asshot and then you make him the bad guy and ship him out of town.

This would take it to a whole new level though - caving to a superstar who is no longer going to be on your team.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #574
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe, but that assumes the Vikings are the only team that's interested. But if Favre is that great, and so obviously better than Rodgers at this point in his career, surely there'd be more takers.

What makes you think Favre isn't better than Rodgers at this point?
There has been other interest, but Favre shoots that down by not talking to the other team. Who wants to give up a draft pick and create a circus if Favre isn't there.

As far as Rodgers vs. Favre, I guess you could make an arguement that Favre is a year older and that he may not continue to play at this level. I can live with that. I can also live with "Rodgers is the future, we need to prepare him" But somehow people are under the impression that Favre is an average NFL QB. And that isn't the case at all.

Favre played VERY well last year. No matter what stat you want to look at. 550 dropbacks, 15 sacks and 15 INT's. 28TD passes. 4k+ yards.He completed 2/3 of his passes. 7.77 yards per pass attempt.

That's what makes this so fascinating. This isn't a hall of fame guy on the downswing, this is a hall of fame QB coming off of a pro bowl season.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #575
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I apparently did give them too much credit that they wouldn't be Favre's bitch.

Caving to superstars isn't the answer, though it's better then pretending to be tough and them caving. Look at the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez. You give a guy free reign to be an asshot and then you make him the bad guy and ship him out of town.

This would take it to a whole new level though - caving to a superstar who is no longer going to be on your team.

This isn't the Packers fault Molson. The Packers were placed in this position by Favre. They have no choice but to cave. Well, that's not true.

They could have a QB circus at Packer camp from Game 1 through 16. (And they'd also have to hope Aaron Rodgers became a HOF QB in his first year as a starter, or the home fans would be cheering for the HOF QB on the sidelines)

They can't trade him to where he doesn't want to go. Because no team is going to take him if he doesn't want to play there.

Am I missing any other choice here? (no, paying him 12 million and telling him to stay away will not work, he'd file a greivance with the PA and be released in a day.

Or they can watch him go to the Vikings or Bears. (either because they traded him there or he signed on there after his release)

The Packers haven't caved. Hell, the idea to try to buy Favre out without him playing is genius. (I don't think it'll work, but it delayed things by a day anyway) The fact is, they never really had a card to play in this. Either he was going to start in GB or he was going to play where he wanted to play. They could try to convince him to stay retired or play in a spot he hadn't thought of yet, but in the end, it's going to be Brett who makes the final call. He had the power from the start. The Vikings have delayed all they can. If Favre decides to come back and Goodall signs his letter, the delay will be over and they'll pick their poison. I only see one possible choice. We'll see if they see another.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #576
molson
General Manager

Quote:

That's what makes this so fascinating. This isn't a hall of fame guy on the downswing, this is a hall of fame QB coming off of a pro bowl season.

Right, I've been trying to think of a historical comparison, but there just isn't one, in any sport that I could think of, because of Favre's level of play last year.

I see it as an outlier though, and think that the media was really, really, kind to him the last few years as he regressed into a pretty awful QB.

If I'm the Packers, I bring Favre in, say that "Rodgers is our QB, but there's always a competition at every position". If Favre looks great and Rodgers looks awful in training camp/pre-season, I make the switch. If Rodgers really struggles during the season, I give Favre a shot. No different that any old/young position battle (except for the intense media attention, but I think the Packers let this blow up further than it would than if they just had a plan from the start, instead of trying to bluff Favre or whatever the hell they were doing). If there's a trade for value that makes sense, by all means make it (but the Packers have already shot themselves in the foot and destroyed any leverage by openly fearing any other scenerio. What kind of "offer" do you make to an obviously desperate team?)

I think Rodgers can survive one year looking over his shoulder. 90% or more of NFL players have guys breathing down their neck for playing time. Automatically assuming that you can't have both guys on a roster is a mistake. Lots of star QBs end their careers on the bench behind a younger player.

And of course, Favre might not want to hold a clipboard, he might just go home (for free).

The Packers should see this as an advantage rather than a catastrophe. If you have a backup QB with value, make a trade. If he has no value and he's better than other options, keep him as depth. You have 2 QBs, both with potential in 2008, but with huge question marks. Is that better than 1 QB with question marks?

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #577
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Favre played VERY well last year. No matter what stat you want to look at. 550 dropbacks, 15 sacks and 15 INT's. 28TD passes. 4k+ yards.He completed 2/3 of his passes. 7.77 yards per pass attempt.

But that wasn't the Favre who had played the several seasons before. He was most certainly on the downswing and had been for years, then had a resurgent year last year. Who knows which Brett Favre will show up this year, especially since his rennaissance last year was attributed to a heavy dose of coaching to change his style?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #578
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
But that wasn't the Favre who had played the several seasons before. He was most certainly on the downswing and had been for years, then had a resurgent year last year. Who knows which Brett Favre will show up this year, especially since his rennaissance last year was attributed to a heavy dose of coaching to change his style?

Here is where I start to disagree. Favre had not slipped for "several" seasons before. In 2004 he had about the same year he had last year. 4k+ yards, 30TD, 17INT, 92 rating, 64% completion rate, 7.6 yards per pass attempts.

In 2005 he sucked. He had some reasons. The Packers lost 2 offensive lineman in FA, they lost tons of their top offensive players early in the year. That included Javon Walker, Ahman Green, Davenport, Gado (who led the team in rushing that year) and others. The offensive line was worse, the running game was non existent (3.4 yards a carry on the year), many of the WR were hurt. I don't put this to "decline" or age. I think it was just a bad luck year.

In 2006, he wasn't great, he wasn't horrible. He just was. Most of his receiving core was new. Jennings played well as a rookie, but outside of Driver, there were no real threats. 3 guys caught more than 30 passes. Running backs still weren't getting 4 yards a carry. The line still wasn't great. You could say Favre should have played better, but it wasn't all him either. I posted earlier about how horrible the Packers defense was early that year. When it got fixed, they got fixed.

In 2007 six guys caught 30 or more passes. Grant became the #1 back midway through the season and averaged over 5 yards a carry. Jennings became a solid #2 and Jones took over Jennings role, only as the #3 WR instead of the #2. The defense was MUCH better and allowed the offense to be on the field more.

Favre didn't play well in '05 or '06, but I don't think it was necessarily him declining. I think it was a lot more about a team which was rebuilding. (remember, I said earlier that I think the team was doing things without Brett in mind at all, I think their strategy holds to that)

Obviously, he will decline at some point. I doubt it's this year though. I think he'll play at a fairly high level again.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #579
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

While it seems like a good deal to take the $20 mill over 10 years... it's really not.

He could easily make $10 mill playing somewhere this year and another $10 mill playing next season if he wanted. Turn that into an investment, he could hit $40 million in 10 years. If you want to play, don't get bought out and look like you never really wanted to play to begin with. Don't be about the money, Favre.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #580
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I hope Brett Favre doesn't take the 20 million dollars.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #581
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I hope Brett Favre doesn't take the 20 million dollars.

Or if he does, at least commit it all to some charity.

To profit off of the Packers (and their fans) in this manner would be pretty ridiculous.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #582
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Or if he does, at least commit it all to some charity.

To profit off of the Packers (and their fans) in this manner would be pretty ridiculous.

I agree.

If he takes the money then I will have lost a huge amount of respect for him.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #583
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I agree.

If he takes the money then I will have lost a huge amount of respect for him.

At first, I kept thinking about how he could spin this as deciding to stop being a distraction and doing it for the good of the team, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with you all. I'll lose a great deal of respect for him if accepts this deal, whereas before he said he was considering the offer, I didn't hold this comeback attempt against him at all.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #584
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Regarding the $20million offer to Favre.

A report I heard from Packer training camp today on Sirius NFL Radio was that the Packers actually floated this offer to Favre a while back, perhaps as much as a month or two ago. It has been brought up once again. The reporter also said that from what he has heard (from a source who has talked to Favre, take that for what you want) is that Favre is looking at it again because there is a chance that with some rewording of the deal, Favre may be able to sign it and still go on to play somewhere else this year and/or next year.

The point of this, according to the reporter, would be to help keep the peace in the breakup. Favre would be playing elsewhere for a year or two, but when that was done he would once again be associated with the Packers and there would be no bad blood in the future. Former Packers have always been, and always will be, a big part of that orginization and town, and this would help make Favre a part of that despite playing elsewhere.

Not sure I really believe this, but it would be interesting if it happened I guess.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #585
Anthony
Banned

Roger Goodell is now starting to be part of the problem. he's holding off on reinstating Favre cuz of ongoing discussions. does the Commish really want this media circus to outshine the HOF ceremonies and last into preseason? he could end this right now by reinstating Favre (as he's supposed to do) and thereby forcing a resolution to come within a certain period of time. a lot isn't going to get done because until Brett is reinstated he's still technically retired (even though he isn't even officially retired, which only makes this even more of a debacle). once he's reinstated and Favre is officially an active Packer again i think we would see a resolution come very, very quickly.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #586
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Regarding the $20million offer to Favre.

A report I heard from Packer training camp today on Sirius NFL Radio was that the Packers actually floated this offer to Favre a while back, perhaps as much as a month or two ago. It has been brought up once again. The reporter also said that from what he has heard (from a source who has talked to Favre, take that for what you want) is that Favre is looking at it again because there is a chance that with some rewording of the deal, Favre may be able to sign it and still go on to play somewhere else this year and/or next year.

The point of this, according to the reporter, would be to help keep the peace in the breakup. Favre would be playing elsewhere for a year or two, but when that was done he would once again be associated with the Packers and there would be no bad blood in the future. Former Packers have always been, and always will be, a big part of that orginization and town, and this would help make Favre a part of that despite playing elsewhere.

Not sure I really believe this, but it would be interesting if it happened I guess.

there's only bad blood because this has allowed to drag on. if the Packers would've accomodated Brett after he said he wanted to come back and shipped him off to a list of teams he wanted to go to (barring any team from within the division) we'd all be talking about the HOF Game right now and this thread wouldn't even exist.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #587
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
there's only bad blood because this has allowed to drag on. if the Packers would've accomodated Brett after he said he wanted to come back and shipped him off to a list of teams he wanted to go to (barring any team from within the division) we'd all be talking about the HOF Game right now and this thread wouldn't even exist.

you mean like accomodated him when he said he wanted to unretire the 1st time? they did, and he fucked them so Favre isn't owed anything by the Packers much less to be at his beckon call for all of eternity.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #588
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
you mean like accomodated him when he said he wanted to unretire the 1st time? they did, and he fucked them so Favre isn't owed anything by the Packers much less to be at his beckon call for all of eternity.

which would be great, if only it weren't for the fact that once he sent in a letter to the Commish he'd be reinstated and the Packers would have the most expensive backup QB in all of human history on their active roster. the Packers only have 2 options - shit or get off the pot. either keep his humongous salary and deal with the problems that come from having the Favre media circus around your club OR get him off the team. the fact that the Packers are acting as if there's a 3rd option in this once he sent in his reinstatement request is absurd and making this unnecessarily distracting to the rest of the league and sports world.

the person owed the most money is the one who holds all the cards. a tale as old as time.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #589
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The problem with Goodell reinstating him now is it would shadow over the HoF stuff of this weekend. If Goodell did it today and Favre showed up, what is the bigger story this weekend, the HoF ceremony and a preseason game or Brett Favre at Packer practice on Saturday and the Family Night Scrimmage that nearly sells out Lambeau Field every year? I think that was Goodell's reason. And you really haven't heard Favre complain about not being reinstated, speculation is that is because he doesn't really have a desire to show up at Packer camp to create a circus. He would rather something be done before he makes a move if possible.

Another question in the media right now is does Favre really have a huge desire to play if it is not going to be in Green Bay? He might now, as that was by far and away his first choice and hopes in coming back.

I don't know, it's still wait and see so I will wait and see.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #590
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post

beck and call...
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #591
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

for all intensive purposes.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #592
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
for all intensive purposes.

irregardless, it's a mute point.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #593
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought he would of known that.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #594
sabotai
General Manager

He does act like he's better then everyone else...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #595
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Green Bay just wants to make Favre into an escape goat.

/emmitt

I need a picture of this.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #596
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

ESPN is reporting that Goodell just reinstated Favre and he is flying today to Packer's camp.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-03-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #597
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah for chaos
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #598
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

There was only one direction for Favre to go and this was it. Now we get into the interesting part of things. Trade him? Release him? Start him? Bench him? WTF!?

I'm a Vikings fan and I've been waiting for this part of the whole Favre debacle. Now that the stupid part is over we can get to the fun stuff.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #599
st.cronin
General Manager

I bet he starts for the Packers. Its really their only sensible move.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #600
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
ESPN is reporting that Goodell just reinstated Favre and he is flying today to Packer's camp.

ESPN is wrong. Reports I hear is that Goodell has said he will reinstate him at noon tomorrow. Favre is flying into Green Bay today though, and it was reported he will stay away from the Family Night Scrimmage tonight.