Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #551
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 93 (69 members and 24 guests)

Wow.

Just wanted to say, hats off to the NY Giants. I really thought they were a bunch of pretenders and that Dallas would beat them for the third time this season...and then that GB would beat them...and then that New England would win. I can't think of a more impressive and shocking postseason run.

And that Tyree catch was phenomenal, not to mention a great escape by Eli. I thought it looked more like a Romo play.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #552
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow, somehow I feel really bad for some of the Patriots fans on this board. Some of the comments that Pats-haters have made are far more classless than anything I saw any Pats fans post here this season.

Anyways, loved the game.. was everything I hoped for. By the end of the game, it really didn't matter to me who won, it was everything I had hoped for in a game. Excellent entertainment!

I also am going to love going to work tommorrow (I work in Massachusetts for a company based in New York, and the Pats vs Giants emails have been unbearable)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #553
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Belichick proved himself more classless than anyone in this meaningless thread...he ran off the field before the final whistle....IN THE SUPER BOWL

+ ∞
Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #554
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Wow, somehow I feel really bad for some of the Patriots fans on this board. Some of the comments that Pats-haters have made are far more classless than anything I saw any Pats fans post here this season.

Anyways, loved the game.. was everything I hoped for. By the end of the game, it really didn't matter to me who won, it was everything I had hoped for in a game. Excellent entertainment!

I also am going to love going to work tommorrow (I work in Massachusetts for a company based in New York, and the Pats vs Giants emails have been unbearable)

Eh, we've had plenty of opportunity to crow, for some folks, this is seven years worth of bile built up. I don't like it, don't condone it, but can understand it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #555
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Marcus Allen's run
Montana to Taylor

As a Cowboys fan, our Super Bowl wins haven't had many great plays. Some plays I'll never forget from their appearances:

O'Brien's game-winning FG
Lily's 25 yard sack of Griese
Jackie Smith's drop
Lett and Beebe

some one that spring to mind for me:

Elway's helicopter run
back-to-back kickoff return TDs by Baltimore and NEw York
OJ Anderson's wind-up uppercut "stiff arm" against the Bills
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #556
Tyrith
College Starter

Having just read the last several pages after having jsut gotten home, I think DT's post at 395 is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #557
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep. Enough to make even an Eaglesfan root for the Giants.

Well, count me and a guy I play poker with as two more.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #558
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Shockey gets the lifetime achievement "Patrick Ewing Award"

He still gets a ring, correct?

I really could give a flip that over both teams, but I'm glad the G-men won. Also, I'm glad it was a great game. It seems like the secret to beating the Pats is a stellar pass rush. I wonder if teams will be trying to copy that in the off-season.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #559
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Jeez, I haven't seen anything that bad or classless from anybody in this thread. Maybe I'm just used to other people being a little rougher about these things. This thread isn't bad at all.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #560
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

I really could give a flip that over both teams, but I'm glad the G-men won. Also, I'm glad it was a great game. It seems like the secret to beating the Pats is a stellar pass rush. I wonder if teams will be trying to copy that in the off-season.

Every team tries to "copy that" every year. A stellar pass rush is something every team is striving for.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #561
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not according to FOF 2k7 rules
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #562
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Jeez, I haven't seen anything that bad or classless from anybody in this thread. Maybe I'm just used to other people being a little rougher about these things. This thread isn't bad at all.
Seriously. Still looking for some of those "haters" or "bashers" that people are imagining.

Heck of a game, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #563
WelshWizard
n00b

I am a very dissapointed Patriots fan. The Giants outplayed us and outcoached us in this one, they thouroughly deserve this win. Belicheck going for it in the first half on a 4th and 13. KICK THE FIELDGOAL!!!
WelshWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #564
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Anyone else really looking forward to this week's "NFL: In Pictures"?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 02-03-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #565
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Pats sucked tonight and it annoys me. Where was the team that blew everyone out the first 10 weeks of the season??

They absolutely deserve the label of biggest super bowl bust ever.....

Still better than losing to the Colts though. I'm happy for the Giants and their fans.

The Giants were able to do what no one had the talent (depth wise) or ability to do. Get the pressure on.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #566
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The '72 Dolphins are still an overrated embarrassment.

Cry more.

Belichik leaving the field before the final whistle was pretty special, epitomizing what the Patriots are all about.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #567
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe they are talking about people appropriately calling out Belichick for leaving the field early?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-03-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #568
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Every team tries to "copy that" every year. A stellar pass rush is something every team is striving for.

I know, but I meant in a bigger emphasis then usual.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #569
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Awesome...

Check out -

hxxp://www.amazon.com/19-0-Historic-Championship-Englands-Unbeatable/dp/1600781500/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202094781&sr=8-1

And see what customers buy after the book.
Also check out the "tags customers associate with this product".
Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #570
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

This is not nearly as bad as it could be and only SirFozzie is being classy and genuine with his comments in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #571
TroyF
Coordinator

I haven't seen anything really classless in the thread.

Beli running off the field after the ref clearly told him there was one more play to be ran? One of the most classless things I've ever seen an NFL head coach do. Exactly why I wanted the Giants to win tonight. I can't stand the guy and I'll sleep better knowing he won't have an undefeated season.

Congrats to Eli and Tom, two guys who I didn't think would ever win a title. Congrats to Plax who ran the perfect route at the perfect time. Congrats to Tyree who made one of the more memorable catches I'll ever see in my lifetime. And congrats to the Giants organization for having the patience to give a left for dead coach one more season to see if he could get it done. (A lesson to be learned for the Chargers upper management)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #572
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Cry more.

Belichik leaving the field before the final whistle was pretty special, epitomizing what the Patriots are all about.

It was so cowardly. In a Super Bowl where Bill Walsh was honored during the coin toss...I'm glad we got to see just what kind of cloth that guy was cut from....A winner in the record books...but a loser in our hearts...
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #573
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Mike Tomlin, in going for those 2 pt conversions vs. JAX in the opening round of the playoffs, can now point to Belichek bypassing that FG and say he's a genius, too.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #574
Galaxy
Coordinator

Can someone tell me why Tiki Barker is so hated now?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #575
Galaril
Pro Starter

I got one word for what Brady has in store for Giselle later tonight to work out his anger: A-N-A-L !

Last edited by Galaril : 02-03-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #576
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I got one word for what Brady has in store for Giselle later tonight to work out his anger: A-N-A-L !
And he'll still impregnate her.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #577
dime
High School JV

the body's still warm, but here's an autopsy:

the patriots had a dominant run in the first half of the regular season, running up the score and blowing up some shitty teams in a year in which the NFL was littered with shitty teams. they didn't look as impressive as the season wore on, and their postseason wins over less-than-stellar clubs like jax and sd should have been another indicator that this was never "one of the best teams ever".

they had an average defense all year that was masked by a prolific offense that, when encountered with a stout front four, proved to be less than special. tom brady had a number of inaccurate passes tonight and was not a confident quarterback. credit the giants defense for that, but it should also serve as a reminder that brady is great at managing the modern game but is not really a playmaker at the QB position.

credit the pats for overachieving this year and taking advantage of every opportunity, week in and week out. they will not be forgotten.

as for belichick and his team, ultimately they got what they deserved and have no one to blame but themselves for losing to one of the weakest super bowl champs ever. hubris was their downfall, the bully mentality does not deal well with actual adversity (as opposed to rallying against perceived injustices and conspiracies). belichick added another fine example of what a small man he is by walking out on the game once it was clear his team had lost. his legacy grows.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #578
Jas_lov
College Starter

"We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Great prediction by Plaxico. The Giants defense was brilliant all game.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 02-03-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #579
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The lesson of the 2008 postseason.

Don't leave the team to be with your hot girlfriend during your week off. It will cost you the following week.

I lol'ed btw. Nice one.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #580
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
This reminds me of the 1991 UNLV basketball team, who finished the season 34-1.

Apropos.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #581
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Can someone tell me why Tiki Barker is so hated now?

because he is a manipulative little shit who blamed the head coach who made him a pro bowler for "making him not enjoy football anymore" and implying that his self-serving retirement was coughlin's "fault."

he also broke the unwritten rule that what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room when he told the world that his young quarterback was "comical" in his attempts to be a leader before a big game.

this douchebag threw everyone under the bus and now he's crying about not being invited to stand on the sidelines with them? just go away, tiki. you were obviously not needed and held the team back.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #582
tarcone
Coordinator

Serious anal bruising ahead
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #583
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Really impressive win for the G-men. I'm happy for them and especially for Eli, because he was really hated on all year, but manned up at the end when his team needed him most.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #584
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
less-than-stellar clubs like jax and sd

????

They were both top 5/6 power rankings and playoffs teams this year.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #585
WelshWizard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
the body's still warm, but here's an autopsy:

the patriots had a dominant run in the first half of the regular season, running up the score and blowing up some shitty teams in a year in which the NFL was littered with shitty teams. they didn't look as impressive as the season wore on, and their postseason wins over less-than-stellar clubs like jax and sd should have been another indicator that this was never "one of the best teams ever".

they had an average defense all year that was masked by a prolific offense that, when encountered with a stout front four, proved to be less than special. tom brady had a number of inaccurate passes tonight and was not a confident quarterback. credit the giants defense for that, but it should also serve as a reminder that brady is great at managing the modern game but is not really a playmaker at the QB position.

credit the pats for overachieving this year and taking advantage of every opportunity, week in and week out. they will not be forgotten.

as for belichick and his team, ultimately they got what they deserved and have no one to blame but themselves for losing to one of the weakest super bowl champs ever. hubris was their downfall, the bully mentality does not deal well with actual adversity (as opposed to rallying against perceived injustices and conspiracies). belichick added another fine example of what a small man he is by walking out on the game once it was clear his team had lost. his legacy grows.

You have got to be kidding me right now. I agree that the Giants deserved to win this game no doubt about it. The comment you make about Brady not being a playmaker. He had a tough game today due to a great defensive gameplan by the Giants, however Brady still led this team down the field and put them in a position to win leading 14-10 with just over 2 minutes left. What evidence do you have that Brady is not a playmaker at the QB position. Just a stupid comment to make.
WelshWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #586
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

Brady is a great quarterback. But the real message is that he's not that much better than a long list of other great quarterbacks. The difference is that he's been blessed to be on great teams and, more importantly, has consistently been given a ridiculous amount of time in the pocket. When he doesn't have that, he's simply a great quarterback. Not one of the greatest of all time.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #587
st.cronin
General Manager

Super Bowl XX is still the worst football rooting experience I have ever had. But this comes close. Heartbreaking defeat.

I do get to say, I told you fuckers that Eli was a very good QB.

And let me chime in with my #1 Super Bowl moment: Ty Law with the pick 6 against Kurt Warner for the first score of that game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #588
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
because he is a manipulative little shit who blamed the head coach who made him a pro bowler for "making him not enjoy football anymore" and implying that his self-serving retirement was coughlin's "fault."

he also broke the unwritten rule that what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room when he told the world that his young quarterback was "comical" in his attempts to be a leader before a big game.

this douchebag threw everyone under the bus and now he's crying about not being invited to stand on the sidelines with them? just go away, tiki. you were obviously not needed and held the team back.

Great summary. I said before that Tiki probably threw himself in front of a bus after the Giants won tonight. He bashed everyone from Coughlin to Eli and you never go against the family! I'm happy for those two and Michael Strahan. Three class acts who all deserve it, unlike Tiki. Maybe Tiki should come out of retirement and play for Bellichick. Those two deserve each other.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #589
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Cry more.

I'd put the '07 Giants ahead of that fraud Dolphins team that beat exactly ONE team with a winning record all season.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #590
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I haven't seen anything really classless in the thread.

not picking a fight but you can read post #516 for one that I found pretty classless, although it's the only one that comes to mind (only went back a couple pages)...

Anyway, I'm extremely upset right now, but the Pats didn't deserve to win. Congratulation to Steve Sapgnuolo for outcoaching the Pats offensive minds and to the Giants defense for executing the plan well. He sure had his guys at the right place at the right time and the Pats ran out of time to wear them out.

In fact, the Pats were pretty unimpressive in my mind for most of the playoffs. They didn't really deserve to win over the Chargers and were unable to really find ways to get Moss into the games for the last three games...

Congrats to the Giants and to Giants fans, it's your day, enjoy it...

FM
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #591
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWizard View Post
You have got to be kidding me right now. I agree that the Giants deserved to win this game no doubt about it. The comment you make about Brady not being a playmaker. He had a tough game today due to a great defensive gameplan by the Giants, however Brady still led this team down the field and put them in a position to win leading 14-10 with just over 2 minutes left. What evidence do you have that Brady is not a playmaker at the QB position. Just a stupid comment to make.

And despite getting hammered constantly, he still managed to go 29-48, 266.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #592
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

This is Vinatieri for Prez's mother. I just wanted to let you know that he jumped off a bridge shortly after the Superbowl. While we will no longer see his smile with each passing day, we know that his spirit will be with us forever (with each hurried throw by Tom Brady). My son spoke fondly of this board and I thought you all should know that.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #593
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

P.S. that was a joke.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #594
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWizard View Post

checkdown passes to welker and faulk are not my definition of "making plays". he took what was there, which is what I would define as smart QB play or "managing the game". he didn't throw any INTs, didn't hurt his team. but he didn't make any plays that were not already there; didn't move out of the pocket or make any particularly impressive throws that another QB could not make.

I would define a playmaker at the QB position more along the lines of an elway, staubach or even joe montana, who I was never crazy about but could make something happen when it wasn't there. I just never see brady do that, perhaps because their offense was so efficient this year that he didn't need to.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #595
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And despite getting hammered constantly, he still managed to go 29-48, 266.

5.5 yards per attempt is bad.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #596
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
This is Vinatieri for Prez's mother. I just wanted to let you know that he jumped off a bridge shortly after the Superbowl. While we will no longer see his smile with each passing day, we know that his spirit will be with us forever (with each hurried throw by Tom Brady). My son spoke fondly of this board and I thought you all should know that.

As long as whoever the idiot behind "ATreeInNewEngland" creates "A bridge in Seattle". I'm good with this.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #597
molson
General Manager

I love how the "classiness" of football fans is now closely monitored post-by-post. Keep up the good work hall monitors!!!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #598
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

That was one kickass Superbowl. I had held onto the Bronco's win over the Packers as the best Superbowl I had ever seen, but I am pretty sure that just replaced it.

Congrats Giants fans.

SirFozzie, stop making those sig bets.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #599
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Brady is a great quarterback. But the real message is that he's not that much better than a long list of other great quarterbacks. The difference is that he's been blessed to be on great teams and, more importantly, has consistently been given a ridiculous amount of time in the pocket. When he doesn't have that, he's simply a great quarterback. Not one of the greatest of all time.

My god, have you and others completely lost your memories?? Just go back to last season when he had 0 receivers and still led the team to a great record. Or look at all of the times where he has been able to stand in a collapsing pocket and still spot the open receiver. Very, very few pcoket QBs have ever been that consistent and accurate.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #600
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
????

They were both top 5/6 power rankings and playoffs teams this year.

the nfl sucked this year.

I think the chargers beat two teams with a winning record all year and the colts playoff game was one of them. they also played the pats game with a QB on one leg and without their best player.

the jags had a lot of success by simply playing physical, but they were still 11-5 this year. not exactly a juggernaut that only a great team would handle.