Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #551
dervack
College Prospect

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3380764

AUSTIN, Texas -- Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was charged with failing a sobriety test while operating a 30-foot boat, then resisting arrest before being hit with pepper spray and dragged ashore by officers.

Cedric Benson

Benson

Benson faces charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest after the incident Saturday night on Lake Travis, Travis County Sheriff's Department spokesman Roger Wade said.

The former Texas Longhorn, however, told the Chicago Sun-Times that he was not drunk and did not resist arrest.

"I was not intoxicated," Benson told the newspaper. "There was alcohol on the boat and others were enjoying themselves, but I wasn't drunk."

Benson was released from jail early Sunday on a $14,500 bond. The charges are class B misdemeanors, each punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine. A call to Benson's agent was not immediately returned.

Benson was operating the boat with 15 passengers aboard when he was stopped by a Lower Colorado River Authority officer for a random safety inspection. He failed a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and was uncooperative when the officer tried to take him ashore, the authority said.

"When Benson did not pass the test, he presented himself as a threat to the officer and argued about whether or not he would be taken to land to have a follow-up field sobriety test performed on land and refused to put on a life jacket," the authority said in a statement.

The officer had to use pepper spray to subdue Benson, a move the running back doesn't understand.

"Even after they pepper-sprayed me, I have no idea why they did that. I was cooperative," Benson told the Sun-Times. "I asked them several times why they did that and they didn't give me an answer."

Benson then refused to leave the officer's boat and authorities had to drag him to a car to be taken to the Travis County jail, the authority said.

Benson's account differs.

"They kicked my feet out from under me and slammed my face down," Benson told the newspaper. "They had a hose and were running it over my face. They were choking me and stuff, not with their hands but with the hose in my face. I couldn't breathe. I don't know if they did that because of the pepper spray, but I didn't ask them to put the hose in my face."

Chicago coach Lovie Smith said he's still trying to figure out exactly what happened.

"I haven't had a chance to speak with Cedric yet, but any time we're talking about one of our players getting arrested you're disappointed in it," Smith said Sunday at the end of the Bears' three-day rookie minicamp in Lake Forest, Ill.

Bears officials said general manager Jerry Angelo was out of town Sunday and unavailable to comment.

Benson has had legal problems before.

He was sentenced to eight days in jail in 2003 for a misdemeanor trespassing charge after forcing his way into an apartment to look for a reported stolen TV. In 2002, misdemeanor drug and alcohol charges against him were dropped.

Benson rushed for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at the University of Texas, going for 1,000 yards in four straight seasons.

The 25-year-old has done little since the Bears took him with the fourth pick of the 2005 draft.

As a rookie he couldn't beat out Thomas Jones and rushed for 272 yards in nine games. He was more effective the next season while sharing time with Jones, going for six touchdowns and 647 yards.

Last year, Benson took over as the featured back after Jones was traded away. He rushed for 674 yards, four touchdowns and 3.4 yards a carry before going on injured reserve in November.

In three years with the Bears, Benson has rushed for 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns, averaging 3.8 yards a carry. He's also missed 13 games.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #552
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
"Even after they pepper-sprayed me, I have no idea why they did that. I was cooperative," Benson told the Sun-Times. "I asked them several times why they did that and they didn't give me an answer."

Quote:
In three years with the Bears, Benson has rushed for 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns, averaging 3.8 yards a carry. He's also missed 13 games.

Well, fella... at the very least you've been stealing money for three years. You're lucky the worst you got was pepper spray. Were it Chicago's finest, you'd probably be in Gitmo by now.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #553
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Now we can ship him to the Bengals, Raiders, or Cowboys. Where he belongs.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-05-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #554
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

lol. I hope Benson is the starter again. Nothing would make me happier then to see Grossman and Benson starting once again, with no WRs now.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #555
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The latest version of the story adds details

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Falcons linebacker Michael Boley was arrested and charged with battery Saturday after his wife told police he "became physical" with her, Gwinnett police said.

The 25-year-old linebacker was released on $1,200 bond. The family violence battery charge leveled against Boley is a misdemeanor.

Boley's wife, Chantelle, told police officers who were called to their home in Dacula that she and Boley argued and that Boley became physical with her, said Cpl. Illana Spellman, spokeswoman for the Gwinnett County Police Department. The officers determined that Boley was the primary aggressor in the fight, Spellman said.

According to the police report obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Boley's wife told police that she found out Boley was cheating on her and confronted him and he became angry. Boley's wife told police that Boley was going to leave but because he had been drinking earlier she hid his car keys, according to the report. Boley's wife told police that Boley called his mother and wanted his wife to speak to her, but when she refused, he became angry and grabbed her, according to the report.

Boley's wife said she tried to get away from her husband but he pushed her against the living room wall, threw her over the couch and tried to push her outside, according to the police report. As she tried to fight him off, he pushed her into a kitchen cabinet door, causing a bruise on her back, the report stated.

At that point, according to Boley's wife's statement to police, he picked her up and tossed her outside and then locked the door. At that point, Boley's wife called police.

According to the police report, Boley told the responding officer that he and his wife got into an argument because his wife thought he was cheating. He told police his wife wanted to leave and that he didn't care, but she could not take their children. Boley said that he and his wife continued to argue for a while and then he pushed her out the door, according to the report.

No children were involved in Saturday's dispute, police said.

The police report states that Boley was arrested without incident.

Nobody answered when a reporter knocked on the door of Boley's house Monday.

Boley and his wife were married within the past year. They had a child together last season.

Though he signed a one-year contract tender for just more than $2 million last month, Boley and the Falcons were negotiating a long-term contract extension.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-05-2008 at 04:58 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #556
Huckleberry
College Starter

To be honest, the news about Cedric Benson getting into it with the LCRA guys on Lake Travis is about the least surprising news I've ever heard in my entire life. If I had been told that Benson was on that lake and that the LCRA guys were going to be nearby then I could have told people this would happen.

Two reasons. The first is that Benson has a problem understanding what he can and can't do. That's pretty obvious. The other reason is that the LCRA guys are a bunch of jackasses on power trips. The Texas courts have held that the LCRA guys don't even need probable cause to board a boat and start running "safety checks" and other searches and seizures. Somehow those guys have fewer checks on their power than actual police officers and state troopers.

Basically, if you want to break it down into the generics of the situation, it sounds like we have a stubborn, dumb, large guy being confronted by power-hungry jackasses with a badge. Gee, I wonder what's going to happen?

Also, it's been noted elsewhere that nowhere in the report does it state that Benson was in control of the boat or even that it was moving at any time. Also, it never states that Benson actually made a physical move toward or at the officer. In Texas law that's not resisting arrest. It is not resisting arrest to pull away from an officer.

This one will be funny to watch. I have no idea which side to believe because they both suck. It's kind of like watching Michael Moore and Bill O'Reilly argue about something which is black and white. You know somebody has to be right. But hell if I know which one.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 05-06-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #557
MikeVic
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3382968

Don't rob your new RB!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #558
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Why not? If they want to stay on the right side of the fans and the media, the athlete will not be carrying a gun. Seems like the perfect targets to me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #559
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I had to share this somewhere, some of the comments they talk about in the story are hilarious...

Quote:
That kid and his old Favre jersey

Tony Walter of the Press-Gazette reported today that David Witthoft, the 12-year-old Connecticut boy who wore a Brett Favre jersey day after day, has finally taken it off after 1,581 days.

We're pointing that out for two reasons.

First, Tony broke the story, no matter how many other media outlets run the story without giving credit where credit is due.

Second, even though some of our readers have left comments on the story, they pale in comparison to the comments left today by the professionals on the sports blog Deadspin.

Deadspin editor Will Leitch blogged an item about Tony's story, properly giving credit and headlining it "At Least SOMEONE Can Take Off The Favre Jersey Without Making A Whole Stink About It."

Not all of the Deadspinners' comments can be repeated here -- some are in spectacularly bad taste -- but are some of the more tame ones:

"He's now hinting that he might put it back on."

"Women dig the guy who can wear the same shirt for 1,581 straight days."

"However, Peter King still refuses to take off his Brett Favre underoos."

"As he threw the jersey towards the wash for the last time, it was intercepted by the family dog."

"Finally. This kid's been hinting about taking off that jersey since 2005."

"The kid's just having fun out there. He's a throwback."
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #560
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

You just have to love the off-season headlines when listed on foxsports....

Quote:
• Police: Colts' star WR not a suspect at this point
• Ex-Viking charged with assault on young son

• Not so safe: Bears cut disappointing Archuleta
• Benson denies drunk boating, claims cop abuse
• Steelers rookie Mendenhall robbed at gunpoint

• Judge allows ex-Bengal WR to travel for tryout
• Falcons' No. 2 tackler hit with battery charge

• Jets re-sign veteran CB Poteat to one-year deal
• Former Lion sentenced for assault on ex-wife
• 'Skins draft pick oversleeps on third day in NFL

It's time to make the season 10 months long.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-07-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #561
Kodos
Resident Alien

All of this can't be sitting well with Goodell.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #562
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Odell Thurman waived by the Bengals this morning
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT02/305190057
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #563
Butter
Coordinator

A bit surprising considering how long they waited out on his suspension.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #564
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I had to share this somewhere, some of the comments they talk about in the story are hilarious...

Just saw this post and wanted to give it my thumbs up.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #565
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cowboys sign Marion Barber and Terence Newman to long term deals.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...wman-thru-2014

Quote:
Newman's deal is a six-year extension to the final year left on his initial contract. It's worth more than $50 million, with a $12 million signing bonus and $22.5 million guaranteed over the first three years.

Barber, a restricted free agent, received a $45 million, seven-year contract that includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses. It's worth $21 million over the first three years, all of which puts him in the salary range of LaDainian Tomlinson, Edgerrin James and Larry Johnson — heady stuff for a guy whose only career start came in his last game.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #566
SFL Cat
College Starter

Wow...I like Barber, but he's not worth LT money.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #567
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Wow...I like Barber, but he's not worth LT money.
Don't forget the salary cap has shot up, and consequently salaries, the last couple years. We might even have an uncapped year in 2 seasons.

Considering the low mileage on Barber, I think it's a fantastic deal for the Cowboys.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #568
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Don't forget the salary cap has shot up, and consequently salaries, the last couple years. We might even have an uncapped year in 2 seasons.

Considering the low mileage on Barber, I think it's a fantastic deal for the Cowboys.

I dunno...considering the style of back that he is, he's a pretty big injury risk, IMO.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #569
mckerney
Coordinator

Woohoo for Marion getting paid!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #570
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Woohoo for Marion getting paid!

I completely agree.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #571
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sh..._Indicted.html

BLAKELY, Ga. — New Orleans Saints defensive end Charles Grant has been indicted on a charge of involuntary manslaughter stemming from a February altercation at a nightclub.

Grant, who was stabbed in the neck during the fracas, was charged by an Early County grand jury that also charged Laquient Macklin with felony murder and feticide in the shooting death of Korynda Reed, 23. Reed died after being taken to the Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan, after the fight early Feb. 3.

he indictment was posted on the Web site of the Early County News on Tuesday.

"We are aware and have no comment," Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said.

District Attorney Charles M. Ferguson could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Sheriff's Capt. Will Caudill said at the time of the melee that there was no known connection between Grant and Reed. He said the fight started inside the club and then moved outside, and Grant was attacked after shots were fired.

Woodrow Gray was indicted on a charge of aggravated assault in the knife attack on Grant, a former University of Georgia star from nearby Colquitt.

Grant was selected by the Saints in the first round of the 2002 NFL draft. He had 2 1/2 sacks in 2007 while starting 14 games for the Saints and has 38 1/2 over his six-year career.

In addition to Grant and Macklin, and Marshae Stromer, Anthony Wilson, Jarvis Tinson, Rodreaco Gray and Woodrow Gray were charged with involuntary manslaughter for alleged participation in the fight.

Grant also received misdemeanor fighting charges.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #572
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So what happened, there was a fight where a pregnant woman (at a club at 2am) got shot and died, and they just charged everyone involved in the fight with manslaughter? Is that SOP in Georgia?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-21-2008 at 12:01 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #573
SFL Cat
College Starter

Heard on the radio today that "Dancing" Jason Taylor won't report to Dolphins mandatory workouts, he missed the voluntary ones because of his Dancing with the Stars commitments.

The rumor is that he wants to be traded and will hold out if necessary to get his way. If he doesn't get traded, I'm thinking he retires. From what I've heard, Taylor and Parcells didn't hit if off very well.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 05-21-2008 at 10:29 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #574
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Heard on the radio today that "Dancing" Jason Taylor won't report to Dolphins mandatory workouts, he missed the voluntary ones because of his Dancing with the Stars commitments.

The rumor is that he wants to be traded and will hold out if necessary to get his way. If he doesn't get traded, I'm thinking he retires. From what I've heard, Taylor and Parcells didn't hit if off very well.

Dear Jason,

I've got just the place for you.

Sincerely,
The space in the Chiefs' line formerly occupied by Jared Allen
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #575
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like 3 more years of Jeeb's solemn swear.

TO signed for 3 more years today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #576
Galaxy
Coordinator

Might have some big problems in Buffalo. Lynch (and other Bills, maybe) was reported to be involved in a hit-and-run accident.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=58323
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #577
miami_fan
Coordinator

D-Mac is signed

$26 mil guaranteed. Good deal or no good deal?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3428598

Quote:
Running back Darren McFadden reached a six-year, $60 million agreement Thursday night with the Oakland Raiders that includes $26 million guaranteed.

McFadden is the third of the top four draft choices to reach a deal. Offensive lineman Jake Long, of the Miami Dolphins, and quarterback Matt Ryan, of the Falcons, the third pick in the draft, have signed. McFadden, the fourth pick, reached an agreement after negotiating during the Raiders' minicamp.

McFadden's agent, Ian Greengross, flew to Oakland to start negotiations with the Raiders. Both sides wanted to get a deal done quickly.

The tricky part was getting enough guaranteed money to compete with Long and Ryan's deals. Ryan received more than $34 million in guarantees on his six-year, $72 million contract. But Ryan reached the agreement the day the NFL voided the final two years of the collective bargaining agreement. Negotiations for draft choices since have become more complicated because of the possibility of having an uncapped year in 2010.

Greengross and the Raiders were able to work through the red tape and come up with a six-year contract that maximized guarantees. Many analysts of the rules involving the uncapped year predicted more five-year contracts that included less overall and guaranteed money.

McFadden is expected to share the running back position with Justin Fargas. The team scheduled an 11 p.m. Friday news conference to announce the signing. He becomes the 21st of the 252 league draft choices to reach an agreement
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #578
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
$26 mil guaranteed. Good deal or no good deal?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3428598

Good deal. He gets $26 million before he plays a down of NFL football. The Raiders get the good PR of getting their guy signed quickly and not looking like a front office with no idea of what it is doing.

Good for both sides.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #579
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Our old buddy Cedric Benson is at it again.

Embattled Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was released from Travis County jail in Texas this morning after being arrested and charged with drunken driving overnight in downtown Austin, police said.

"There was alcohol involved, that's all we know," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said today. "We are certainly going to take this seriously. Disappointment is too often-used word when talking about Cedric. The No. 1 lesson of every player is protect your job."

The Bears will begin their own investigation of the incident, Angelo said.

Austin police said Benson was driving a BMW through downtown Austin between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. Saturday. They allege he ran a red light and he was pulled over near the intersection of 5th and Colorado streets, located in the heart of Austin's night life district, said police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga.

Authorities said an officer smelled alcohol on Benson's breath and then conducted a field sobriety test, which included having the driver perform a walk and turn test and to stand on one leg, she said.

Based on his performance, Benson was arrested for suspicion of drunken driving, she explained. He was taken into custody without incident, officials said.

Once at the Travis County jail, Benson allegedly declined a Breathalyzer and blood test, said Aguinaga. After his arrest, a magistrate ordered Benson held in lieu of $2,000 bond, which he posted shortly afterward to be released at 8:48 a.m., jail officials said.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged with misdemeanor charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest stemming from a May 3 incident near Austin, Texas.

Angelo said he was surprised that Benson would "put himself in this situation" after the boating incident. He said it would "much more difficult" to rely on Benson.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you that we're not extremely disappointed and frustrated with this," Angelo said. "Anybody would be in this situation. But we will get together as a group; make sure that we hear all sides before we do anything."

In the May incident, police used pepper spray to detain him. Lower Colorado River Authority police took the Bears running back, who played at the University of Texas in Austin, into custody in what they said was a random safety inspection on Lake Travis.

An LCRA spokesman said Benson, who failed a sobriety "float test" (an abbreviated version of a field sobriety test) on his 37-foot yacht, argued over taking a follow-up test on land and also refused to put on a life jacket.

LCRA officers said they attempted to arrest Benson at that time but that he refused to cooperate and was pepper-sprayed. He was booked at 11:24 p.m. Saturday at the Travis County Jail and was out early Sunday morning on $14,500 bond.

Benson has denied the charges.

"There was no resistance on my part," Benson told the Tribune for a May 5 story. "Was I drunk? No."

He added that "Once we got to land, the Travis County police grabbed me and kicked my feet from under me. So I landed on my back while I was handcuffed. They held me down and held the water hose over my face. I couldn't breathe, I'm choking, I'm begging the cops, 'Please stop. Please stop.' Then they picked me up and dragged me backward toward their car. And I'm still being polite, asking them, 'Sir, could you please allow me to walk like a man to your cop car?' They just kept dragging me on."

Benson said there was alcohol on his boat but that he was not intoxicated and the boat was stationary when police arrived. He said he fully cooperated with officers and that this was the sixth time he had been questioned by lake police in the year that he has owned the boat.

Benson said by that time, he was far removed from the family and friends left on his boat, a group that included his mother.

The charges are punishable up to six months in jail and $2,000 each.

Benson, who had his 2007 season cut short by a broken ankle, was in jeopardy of losing his starting spot heading into the '08 season. The fourth overall pick of the 2005 draft struggled through his first three seasons with the Bears, failing to post a 1,000-yard campaign while averaging just 3.8 yards per carry. Benson averaged a career-low 3.4 yards per carry last season, finishing with 674 yards on 196 carries with four touchdowns in 11 games started. He missed the final five games with the ankle injury.

Benson was arrested twice during his college days. He was arrested for marijuana possession in May 2002 in his hometown of Midland, Texas. The charges were dropped when he passed a drug test and other evidence surfaced to clear him.

In October 2003, Benson was arrested for criminal trespassing after kicking down an apartment door in Austin. He said he believed his $15,000 plasma television was inside. He received an eight-day jail sentence but never went behind bars because of time served on the day of the arrest, good behavior, and the lack of available beds at the local prison.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #580
st.cronin
General Manager

If you get arrested twice in a month for dui, chances are you have a drinking problem.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #581
Logan
Head Coach

No, it means you have an intelligence problem. Plenty of people can get drunk 10 times a month and it doesn't make them an alcoholic or stupid enough to drive while drunk any of those times.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #582
JeeberD
General Manager

I see a visit with the commish in Ced's future...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #583
rjolley
College Starter

Is this a case where the Bears will have to pay a fine based on the new rule, or does that start in July?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #584
JediKooter
Coordinator

Gee Cedric, if you can afford to post bail, you can afford to hire a driver and not worry about getting a DUI. You, Mr. Benson, are stupid.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #585
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3433557

strahan calling it quits

As a Giants fan he was awesome to watch play, he has gotten a bad rap after the stuff from this past year but he has been a joy.

I wouldn't mind if the Giants made a play for Taylor, otherwise I am a little worried Osi will see alot more double coverage
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #586
Pyser
Pro Rookie

giants will be fine. tuck is there, kiwi can get some reps at de, and alford is still coming up. and wynn can play on running downs too.

sad to see strahan go though.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #587
Arctic Blast
n00b

Curious to see if Kiwanuka stays at linebacker, since they've said from the first day of his transition that he'd go back to end when Strahan walked away. Who would replace him on the strong side if Kiwa does go back to the line full time?

Regardless, he does play there on passing downs, and Tuck's a really nice player. I don't thing they really need to go after Taylor.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #588
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Bears have released Cedric Benson.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...uh-bye-benson/

I don't know about this Bears team. They appear to be weaker at WR and RB. They are going in with Orton and Grossman at QB. Their defense is another year older and chock full of injury concerns. Could be a long year in Chicago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #589
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Bears have released Cedric Benson.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...uh-bye-benson/

I don't know about this Bears team. They appear to be weaker at WR and RB. They are going in with Orton and Grossman at QB. Their defense is another year older and chock full of injury concerns. Could be a long year in Chicago.

The line is a bigger concern than RB. Benson showed he could be a productive back behind a good line, but the line last year was one of the 3 worst in the NFL. There weren't many running backs in the NFL that would have looked good playing for the bears last season. The coaching staff is really high on Forte so I don't think they would have released Benson if they didn't think Forte would win the job anyway.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #590
rjolley
College Starter

Well, Benson needed to go before the offseason troubles. The team is arguably worse than last year on offense and that will not bold well for the defense.

Here's to hoping Forte and the young o-linemen can surprise us all and grind out some wins.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #591
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Benson showed he could be a productive back behind a good line

I'm of the opinion that almost any back can be productive behind a good line, though. You know, assuming the back is at least NFL caliber, you should be able to get a good 3.8 YPC and 1000 yards a year, these days.

With the lack of drafting/trading for a QB, and releasing Benson, I think the Bears have slipped full-on into rebuilding mode. Might as well, to be honest.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #592
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

The amount of things that have to go right for anything to happen for the Bears this year...

- Forte has to be good.
- The O-Line has to dramatically improve on last year. They're still not getting any younger there, either (Chris Williams aside).
- Marty Booker has to lose about 5 years and make it through a season as a top-notch possession receiver.
- Devin Hester has to absolutely excel next to Booker as a deep threat.
- Someone, anyone, has to become a legitimate receiver admist a crew full of nobodies.
- Mike Brown needs to remain healthy.
- Urlacher needs to stop pouting and stay healthy.
- The D-Line needs to stay healthy and the injured "rookies" (Dvoracek and a couple others) need to prove they can play.
- Lovie Smith needs to learn how to adapt to game situations. Like, you know, a real coach.

And that's without even looking at the QB situation.

There's wayyyyyy too many things have have to go right (and some of them are huge longshots) for the Bears to have a shot.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #593
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
The amount of things that have to go right for anything to happen for the Bears this year...

- Forte has to be good.
- The O-Line has to dramatically improve on last year. They're still not getting any younger there, either (Chris Williams aside).
- Marty Booker has to lose about 5 years and make it through a season as a top-notch possession receiver.
- Devin Hester has to absolutely excel next to Booker as a deep threat.
- Someone, anyone, has to become a legitimate receiver admist a crew full of nobodies.
- Mike Brown needs to remain healthy.
- Urlacher needs to stop pouting and stay healthy.
- The D-Line needs to stay healthy and the injured "rookies" (Dvoracek and a couple others) need to prove they can play.

And that's without even looking at the QB situation.

There's wayyyyyy too many things have have to go right (and some of them are huge longshots) for the Bears to have a shot.

I just wish the Bears had held on to the Detroit Lions 2007 MVP Brian Griese. I'll miss that guy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #594
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I just wish the Bears had held on to the Detroit Lions 2007 MVP Brian Griese. I'll miss that guy.

With Rex on the roster there's still hope of bigger and better things for the lions this season.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-10-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #595
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
With Rex on the roster there's still hope of bigger and better things for the lions this season.

You would think that, but...

Sexy Rexy is 2-0 in his career against the Lions:

His combined stats in those games: 40/63, 486 YDS, 4TD/0 Int.

Orton is 2-0 in his career against the Lions:

His combined stats in those games: 31/52, 380 YDS, 2TD/0 Int.

Last year, Griese was 0-2 against the Lions:

His combined stats in those games: 66/92, 494 YDS, 3 TD/7 Int.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #596
MrBug708
Head Coach

With current, former Ravens attending, Ogden makes it official
Associated Press
June 12, 2008

There was no crying, no second-guessing and absolutely no regrets.

Jonathan Ogden wore a broad, toothy smile Thursday as the left tackle announced his retirement after a 12-year career in which he established himself as one of the greatest offensive linemen in NFL history.

Ogden, 33, was selected to play in 11 Pro Bowls, and he probably would have made it an even dozen had he opted to return for another season with the Baltimore Ravens.

But because he couldn't operate at peak efficiency with a hyperextended left big toe, the decision to call it a career was relatively easy.

"When you play football for as long as I have, it's really difficult to know injuries just won't let you play at the level that you all and myself expect me to play," Ogden said in a packed auditorium that included at least 15 of his former teammates.

"Could I have still gone out there and played? Yes, probably, and still done an adequate job," Ogden said. "But in my mind, I wouldn't have been helping the team as much as I needed to. And it wouldn't have been good for me."

Ogden has always been a perfectionist, but the Ravens would have been happy to have him back at less than 100 percent -- because even then, Ogden would still be better than almost everyone else at opening up running lanes and protecting the quarterback.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who made Ogden the team's first-ever draft pick in 1996, said: "I've had the opportunity to be in this league for over 30 years, and I've had a chance to witness a lot of very good football players. But in my humble opinion, there's not a player I've seen in those 30 years that played their position as well as Jonathan Ogden played his."

Former Ravens guard Edwin Mulitalo, who lined up next to Ogden for seven years, said, "What Ray Lewis and Junior Seau are to linebackers, what Jerry Rice is to wide receivers, Jonathan Ogden is to offensive linemen."

Ogden's retirement comes during an offseason in which stars such as Brett Favre, Michael Strahan and Warren Sapp also stepped aside. Asked his thoughts about potentially being part of a memorable Hall of Fame class in 2013, Ogden said, "Honestly, just to be mentioned in that whole discussion is truly an honor for me."

But playing for a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame was never his objective.

"I would just like to be remembered as a guy who was respected by everybody," Ogden said. "We don't have the stats like at every other position, so it's more about how people respect you. I just wanted to be one of the most respected linemen that played the game. And I think I have done that."

Few defensive ends relished going up against the 6-foot-9, 345-pound Ogden, who used his size and uncanny quickness to fend off any would-be tackler. He also had excellent technique, whether pushing downfield to make a block or stepping back to form a pocket around the quarterback.

Trevor Pryce, now with the Ravens, faced Ogden when Pryce was with the Denver Broncos. "I only played against Jonathan once, and that was more than enough. I think I had a half-tackle and didn't get near the quarterback," Pryce said. "The game came effortless to him. ... He was the best I ever played against."

Ogden wasn't the stereotypical offensive lineman. He regularly read books, didn't drive fancy cars and was notoriously slow to pick up a check at a restaurant.

"You remember him reading vampire books, asking us to pay for him when we went to the movies. Everyone knows what type of player he is, but you remember the stuff in the locker room," said Mulitalo, who came in from Detroit to be with Ogden at his retirement announcement.

Former Ravens running back Priest Holmes said, "He always had a book in his hand ... We always knew there was a lot more to him. A thinking person."

In the months ahead, Ogden will have plenty of time to think, read, play golf and solidify his place in the Baltimore community.

"There's a huge part of me that is going to miss playing football. But at the same time, I realize that it is time," said Ogden, who played in a career-low 11 games last season because of the toe injury. "I know I gave everything I had in 12 years. I left it out there every Sunday on the field for this town, myself and this organization. I can look back and say I have no regrets. I'm at peace with that."

Ogden's favorite season was in 2000, when the Ravens won the Super Bowl (he wore his Super Bowl ring Thursday). But he was proudest of his performance in 2003, when he helped pave the way for Jamal Lewis to run for 2,066 yards -- second-most in NFL history.

Come this fall, Ogden will view football from a vastly different perspective.

"I'm looking forward to going to the first home game and just kind of watching, being a football fan again," he said. "I want to be like everybody else and get mad at the TV and all that stuff on Sundays."

But what about next year? When his toe is completely healed, would Ogden consider a return to the NFL?

"You don't have to worry about me coming back," he said with a laugh. "That won't be happening."

---------------------------------------------------------

Ogden was prototype tackle of his era
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
June 12, 2008

Now that Jonathan Ogden of the Baltimore Ravens has officially retired, the scenario I've feared for the past couple of years has come to fruition.

His retirement begins the close of perhaps the greatest blocking era in NFL history. Ogden came into the league in 1996 along with Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson. The 1997 draft produced Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Tarik Glenn. The following year brought William Thomas and Flozell Adams into the league.

Those seven tackles have gone to a combined 40 Pro Bowls. More than anything else, that three-year cycle of tackles changed the game, and it all started with Ogden.

What made the 6-foot-9, 345-pound tackle so great was that he was so much more dominating than those who went against him. He towered over his opponents but was able to lower his basketball-style body into blocking stances that prevented even the shortest defensive ends from getting past him. His ability to consistently nullify the opponent's right defensive end or best pass-rusher without blocking help from teammates opened up offenses to where they are today.

With Ogden taking out the best pass-rusher, Ravens offensive coaches were able to free a tight end on routes downfield instead of keeping him around the offensive line for double-team blocks.

Pace followed shortly, and before long, Mike Martz, the Rams' offensive coordinator during their Super Bowl championship year in 1999, was able to send all his receivers on routes because he felt confident Pace could buy time for Kurt Warner to stay upright in the pocket. More and more teams with a left tackle cut from the Ogden mold were able to spread the field with receivers and watch their passing numbers prosper.

To truly understand Ogden's effect, you have to go back to the era he entered in 1996. The league was struggling on offense. Most of the starting quarterbacks were aging and well into their 30s, while few quarterbacks were coming out of college with the ability to play. By the late 1990s, the situation was so desperate that a quarterback could play a season in NFL Europe, come back the next year and start.

Teams were scoring an average of 20.45 points per game and attempting 33.26 passes a game with 19.1 completions in 1996. Quarterbacks were being victimized for 2.3 sacks a game. Brett Favre dominated because he was Brett Favre. Others struggled.

The three-year tackle evolution -- and there were other left tackles from those three drafts who started -- formed a foundation for teams to begin the passing evolution that has continued into today. With more receivers spreading the field, quarterbacks didn't have to drop back seven steps to pass. Quicker, more viable receiving options were available.

The evolution also allowed the league to get younger and better at quarterback. Last season's throwers completed 20.36 of their 33 pass attempts a game. Twenty-four quarterbacks completed 60 percent of their passes. Sacks dropped to 2.15 per game.

Unfortunately, Ogden never had a great quarterback who could take advantage of all the options that were open to the Ravens' offense, but whenever the quarterback play was good enough, the Ravens won. Steve McNair came over with experience in 2006, and the Ravens won 13 games. And when Trent Dilfer, a smart signal-caller, was under center, the Ravens won a Super Bowl in 2000.

Game-changers come around maybe once a decade, and Ogden, in my opinion, was the game-changer at left tackle. He was a human mountain at the position and an amazing athlete who could position his body between a defensive end and his quarterback. Whether blocking on a running play or a pass play, Ogden won his assignment.

I can think of only a couple of positions in modern history that have had such an influx of talent in such a short period of time, changing the game like the mid-1990s changed left tackle.

John Elway, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were part of the great draft class of 1983. Warren Moon and Steve Young entered the league in 1984 and 1985, respectively. They all had Hall of Fame careers and set new standards for play at quarterback. This was right when the NFL was making the turn from a running league to a passing league.

The linebacker position changed in 1981, thanks to Lawrence Taylor. Taylor was a college defensive end Bill Parcells turned into a linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Given the extra couple of steps and the ability to stand up before the start of plays, Taylor was unblockable. Mike Singletary also was part of that 1981 draft, and his vision and ability to read plays set new standards at middle linebacker. Andre Tippett of the Patriots, another version of Taylor, entered the league in 1982.

Football changed for the better, thanks to their contributions.

Although he was a quiet, thoughtful person, Ogden also changed the perception of blockers. He changed the pay structure of the league, making left tackle one of the top-paid positions in the sport, with salaries equivalent to those of quarterbacks. Left tackle Jake Long of the Dolphins just received a $10 million a year contract as the first pick in the draft.

Ogden protected quarterbacks, and his agent, Marvin Demoff, creatively found ways to keep his salary at levels no one ever expected for what once was considered an anonymous position.

It will be interesting to see how many of the top left tackles from those three years make the Hall of Fame. Ogden should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He went to 11 Pro Bowls. Retired Chiefs and Saints tackle Willie Roaf, who was part of the class of 1993, has a good chance, too. He also went to 11 Pro Bowls. Jones has gone to eight Pro Bowls, and Pace has gone to seven. Both of them have a chance.

It was a marvelous era for blocking, and I wonder how the game will change as these tackles filter out of the league. Jones still is at the top of his game in Seattle, but he has been bothered by shoulder problems the past couple of seasons. Pace is starting to fight injuries. Glenn surprisingly retired last year. Adams signed an extension with the Cowboys during the offseason.

Joe Thomas of the Browns offers hope for the future with last year's Pro Bowl season as a rookie in Cleveland. And the seven tackles taken in the first round of the 2008 draft will help fill the void.

But don't expect the level of play provided by Ogden and his contemporaries. He was part of a special time for this league. He will be missed.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #597
Travis
Pro Rookie

As a Seahawks fan who absolutely fears the day Big Walt retires, a definite tip of the cap to Ogden who was phenomenal at the position.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #598
Pyser
Pro Rookie

notoriously slow to pick up a check.

how bout that.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #599
Galaxy
Coordinator

Now it's getting pretty interesting in Buffalo:

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...58323&catid=37
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #600
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now Ogden can devote himself to his dancin career.