Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #551
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

LCDs and plasmas may have gotten reasonably priced, but I have never seen an example of either technology I would be happy to use for my primary viewing. In fact, when my CRT tubes finally die, if I can replace them for the cost of a brand new LCD/plasma, I'll go that route.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #552
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
LCDs and plasmas may have gotten reasonably priced, but I have never seen an example of either technology I would be happy to use for my primary viewing.

You're kidding. You've never seen a plasma or LCD that you would be happy with?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #553
rowech
Pro Starter

I keep hearing people say this. People need to see these TV's side by side with their regular TV.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #554
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
You're kidding. You've never seen a plasma or LCD that you would be happy with?

Nope. At least not under $15,000. I would never spend that much on a TV anyway, but I have looked at a few with $10,000+ price tags and decided I still like my CRT better.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #555
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Again, that is pretty useless.

What percent of the population have video devices that accept memory sticks? (the only flash memory mentioned in the article) What percentage of the population have the ability and/or hardware and software to put that file on a standard DVD?

What percent of the population have a standard DVD player?

You really want to argue that this is anywhere near equivalent to HDDVD hybrid discs?

I'd have thought it was fairly high ...

Most digital camera's these days do at least limited video recording and use memory cards, if you have a psp then you have a playback device .... I'd say 'Ipod' as well but I don't know if the Ipod video format is a 'standard' or one of their happily encrypted ones (I'm betting on the latter).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #556
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nope. At least not under $15,000. I would never spend that much on a TV anyway, but I have looked at a few with $10,000+ price tags and decided I still like my CRT better.

I can understand this with LCD, given the motion-blur and contrast issues... but Plasma? Seriously? There is no CRT on earth I would take over my 50" Pioneer plasma, which cost $2200.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #557
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never really understood RPTVs... at least not in the last two years when LCDs and Plasmas started getting reasonably priced. If you really want size/money value go front projection. Otherwise LCD/Plasma just seem so much better.

The SXRD has one of the best pictures I've ever seen in a HDTV. Should I be stocking up on lightbulbs? Will they become hard to find with the discontinuation of the SXRD line?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #558
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'd have thought it was fairly high ...

Most digital camera's these days do at least limited video recording and use memory cards, if you have a psp then you have a playback device .... I'd say 'Ipod' as well but I don't know if the Ipod video format is a 'standard' or one of their happily encrypted ones (I'm betting on the latter).
I don't think anyone expects digital cameras to be used a video playback devices. I doubt most have enough battery power to even last through a full length movie! iPods do not accept memory sticks. I don't think many non-Sony products do. We don't even have any official word that the SD video on BR will be playable on anything other than a PSP. Mizzou B-ball fan claims the SD copy of the video will be DRM-free and playable on any portable video device, but that doesn't seem likely to me. Especially since Apple and Amazon basically sell the same thing with DRM for $10+ a movie. *shurg*

There are just over 11M PSPs sold in North America. There are over 130M standard-def DVD players sold in North America. Mizzou B-ball touts feature this as comparable to hybrid HDDVDs, I just don't see it.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #559
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I can understand this with LCD, given the motion-blur and contrast issues... but Plasma? Seriously? There is no CRT on earth I would take over my 50" Pioneer plasma, which cost $2200.

LCD is saddled with motion-blur, contrast issues and the screen door effect. I don't remember any specific problem with plasma technology, but I've never been impressed with the picture.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #560
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
LCD is saddled with motion-blur, contrast issues and the screen door effect. I don't remember any specific problem with plasma technology, but I've never been impressed with the picture.

Like I said, I understand the LCD thing (I don't like them either, hence my comment about it being sad when they overtake Plasma).

Plasma though... you aren't looking at the right ones if you aren't impressed by the picture. The only real downside to plasma (compared to CRT) is the potential for burn-in, although I've never even seen so much as a ghost image on mine, and I use my Xbox and Wii on it daily (although I used to on my buddy's Samsung that he bought a couple years ago when we'd play games).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #561
Daimyo
College Starter

The problem with plasma is that big box stores don't usually carry the good ones. In the mainstream LCD is the default choice and low-end plasmas pretty much only exist as a value choice at larger sizes. That is unfortunate. I imagine plasma will have to position itself going forward as a high-end, niche product.

Personally I take front projection over both, but its certainly not for everyone.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-08-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #562
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Plasma though... you aren't looking at the right ones if you aren't impressed by the picture. The only real downside to plasma (compared to CRT) is the potential for burn-in, although I've never even seen so much as a ghost image on mine, and I use my Xbox and Wii on it daily (although I used to on my buddy's Samsung that he bought a couple years ago when we'd play games).

CRT has the same burn-in potential, but with either technology you have to work fairly hard to get the burn-in to happen. The only time I have actually seen burn-in happen was on a set in a bar with a static image on it for a LONG time.

I have checked out all kinds of TVs in regular retail outlets (American, Best Buy, etc) as well as AV specialty stores, and nothing has been watchable for even the amount of time I was in the store. I just keep hoping that technologies improve by the time I need to replace my TV.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #563
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The problem with plasma is that big box stores don't usually carry the good ones. In the mainstream LCD is the default choice and low-end plasmas pretty much only exist as a value choice at larger sizes. That is unfortunate. I imagine plasma will have to position itself going forward as a high-end, niche product.

Personally I take front projection over both, but its certainly not for everyone.

The latest version of all of my shopping was to fill a movie/media room I am having built in my new house. I started looking for a big TV to plug everything into and decided that nothing fit the bill. I then moved on to looking at projectors and ran into the same problem. LCD and SXRD projectors seemed to do better than the TVs, but I still ended up with a CRT projector. Sadly I seem to have very good vision when it comes to video and as a result, I am very picky.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #564
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
...nothing has been watchable for even the amount of time I was in the store. I just keep hoping that technologies improve by the time I need to replace my TV.

This honestly surprises me. Not even watchable? I can't see how it could get much better without actually being there...
Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #565
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I suppose that might be a bit strong. Let's just say I was disappointed enough to not want to watch. I could get by watching one at a friend's house, but I'm quite sure that I would constantly be noticing the differences.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #566
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The SXRD has one of the best pictures I've ever seen in a HDTV. Should I be stocking up on lightbulbs? Will they become hard to find with the discontinuation of the SXRD line?

I think maybe you should pray it breaks during the extended warranty period, and then opt for a Pioneer plasma.

In short of that, it might not be the worst thing in the world to have an extra couple sitting around. I would assume that it's a covered repair if it breaks during warranty, however. Speaking more on the future.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I suppose that might be a bit strong. Let's just say I was disappointed enough to not want to watch. I could get by watching one at a friend's house, but I'm quite sure that I would constantly be noticing the differences.

Cable or dish? A lot of times the cable signals can be quite shitty. And supposedly within 2 years, they should have the extreme contrast Pioneer Kuro out. Basically it has infinite contrast. Should be the best thing ever probably.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #568
KWhit
Coordinator

I love my 50" Pioneer Plasma. It's not a high end model by any means, but the picture is amazing, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #569
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Cable or dish? A lot of times the cable signals can be quite shitty. And supposedly within 2 years, they should have the extreme contrast Pioneer Kuro out. Basically it has infinite contrast. Should be the best thing ever probably.

I'm not sure what the different stores use as their source material.

The Kuro will be out in two years? That isn't too long to wait for something that can come close to a CRT in contrast.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #570
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure what the different stores use as their source material.

The Kuro will be out in two years? That isn't too long to wait for something that can come close to a CRT in contrast.

Something like 2 years. Supposedly the Extreme Contrast technology might be out by the end of the year, and the extremely thin, energy efficient Kuro will be out in about 2.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #571
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Something like 2 years. Supposedly the Extreme Contrast technology might be out by the end of the year, and the extremely thin, energy efficient Kuro will be out in about 2.

That's cool. It is nice to know that there will be viable options in the near future.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #572
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Microsoft marketing head says Microsoft will consider Blu-ray add-on to Xbox 360 if Blu-ray becomes the primary HD format..........

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...e=ustechnology

Quote:
Microsoft's Xbox could consider Blu-ray support
Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:23pm EST

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's Xbox video gaming unit still fully backs Toshiba Corp's HD-DVD high-definition DVD format but could consider supporting Sony Corp's rival Blu-ray technology should consumers want it, an executive said on Tuesday.

"It should be consumer choice; and if that's the way they vote, that's something we'll have to consider," Albert Penello, group marketing manager for Xbox hardware said when asked whether Microsoft would support a Blu-ray DVD accessory in the event that HD-DVD failed.

Microsoft does not believe the surprise decision last week by Time Warner Inc unit Warner Bros, the top seller of home movies, to abandon HD-DVD format in favor of Blu-ray should affect sales of its Xbox 360 video game console, Penello said.

"I fundamentally don't think ... this has a significant impact on Xbox 360 versus (Sony's) PlayStation 3," Penello told Reuters in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"With the PlayStation 2, DVD was a big part in the beginning, but over time, people were not buying it as a DVD player after first year or two," Penello said.

The Xbox 360 supports a plug-in HD-DVD accessory that is bought separately, while Sony, hoping to give its next-generation video format a leg up, built a Blu-ray player into its PlayStation 3 machine.

"You can't say it's not a bummer, not a setback, but I've seen this battle declared over so many times," Penello said of Warner's decision.

"I want consumers to have a voice in this and I think there are a lot of consumers who bought HD-DVD who are going to have a say in how this shakes out."

Warner Bros is the movie division of media conglomerate Time Warner Inc.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #573
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They said the same thing about a year ago.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #574
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Paramount has issued a statement saying their 'current plan' is to remain in the HD-DVD camp. Certainly, the statement isn't worded nearly as strongly as most HD-DVD supporters would like.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/08/p...-format-curre/
Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #575
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Universal Studios is the latest HD-DVD defector. Universal's exclusive contract with HD-DVD has expired and has not been renewed. Paramount is expected to opt out of their exclusive agreement with HD-DVD.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/10/u...sits-non-rene/

Quote:
Universal HD DVD exclusivity contract has expired, sits non-renewed
Posted Jan 10th 2008 12:39PM by Steven Kim

More news from the format war today, and it isn't good for the red camp.

Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's agreement to stick with HD DVD has ended and has not been renewed. Additionally, Paramount has an escape clause in its contract that can be exercised following Warner's departure from the (now dwindling) HD DVD ranks.

The article highlights various ongoing commitments both companies have to the format, but we've heard these kind of promises before from studios. It's feeling like a party where everyone leaves at once; nobody wants to be the first out the door, but everyone's looking in that direction.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
We don't even have any official word that the SD video on BR will be playable on anything other than a PSP. Mizzou B-ball fan claims the SD copy of the video will be DRM-free and playable on any portable video device, but that doesn't seem likely to me. Especially since Apple and Amazon basically sell the same thing with DRM for $10+ a movie. *shurg*

FYI......You might want to let Steve Jobs at MacWorld 2008 know that this isn't possible. He just brought out a Fox Studios Blu-ray movie and ripped a standard-def copy of the movie to an iPod. He clearly stated that there was no copy protection on the ripped copy. I'm not sure how much more information you need to prove that the movie copy on Blu-ray discs is a standard file that can be used on any media playback disc, rather than just the PSP as you continue to suggest.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #577
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI......You might want to let Steve Jobs at MacWorld 2008 know that this isn't possible. He just brought out a Fox Studios Blu-ray movie and ripped a standard-def copy of the movie to an iPod. He clearly stated that there was no copy protection on the ripped copy. I'm not sure how much more information you need to prove that the movie copy on Blu-ray discs is a standard file that can be used on any media playback disc, rather than just the PSP as you continue to suggest.

Apple's PR is far more vague on the portability:

Quote:
The new iTunes Digital Copy provides a consumer friendly way to transfer a DVD purchase to a user’s iTunes library. Once a customer buys the DVD, they insert it into their computer, enter a unique code into iTunes and iTunes automatically copies the movie to their iTunes library within minutes. Customers own the iTunes Digital Copy of the movie and it has all of the same great viewing options as other iTunes Store video content, including the ability to be viewed on a computer, iPod with video, iPhone and Apple TV. Each DVD will only transfer its iTunes Digital Copy to one iTunes library
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #578
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I love my 50" Pioneer Plasma. It's not a high end model by any means, but the picture is amazing, IMO.
Word. We have a Phillips 42" plasma. We bought it two years ago at Best Buy and I did shit for research. I am sure I overpaid and that it is at the bottom of the pile of what is out there for plasma televisions.

That said, the HD programming quality it shows still kicks the shit out of anything on the standard def television we have. The difference is huge.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #579
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Apple's PR is far more vague on the portability:

The policy you cite is for standard DVD's, not Blu-ray discs. That policy has little relevance to the Blu-ray products. I'm sure they'll be refining/reviewing policies to take into account the new features on the Blu-ray discs. Reportedly, Apple will also be announcing that they will also offer BR drives as their only HD disc drive option. I'm sure that Sony and Apple are already planning several agreements concerning BR policies.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #580
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, it can easily rip this material if I have a pc-BD drive? Good thing those are practically free
Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #581
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So, it can easily rip this material if I have a pc-BD drive? Good thing those are practically free

A Blu-ray stand-alone (with a memory card slot) or a PS3 will also rip the copy.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #582
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tons of new news................

Amazing numbers here as HD movie players now account for 35% of total movie player sales in Japan............

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080118...VJxHqjCygjtBAF

Last week's sales following the Warner announcement have Blu-ray holding a 85:15 edge in movie sales. Blu-ray stand-alone players (PS3 and 360 add-on not included) outsold the HD-DVD stand-alone players by a 70:30 margin despite the HD-DVD players being over $200 cheaper............

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_ID=11894

Quote:
Net HD DVD sales, according to Nielsen, constituted only 15% of hi-def disc sales last week. And the top HD DVD seller, The Kingdom, sold just 10% as many copies as the top Blu-ray Disc release, 3:10 to Yuma.

Rumor is that most HD-DVD players and movies will be phased out by mid-2008........

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#012108

Wal-Mart plans to stop carrying HD-DVD players in their stores.........

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bus...ef=videosearch

Best Buy offering incentives for customers to choose Blu-ray over HD-DVD movies. They are offering gift cards with the purchase of 2 or more Blu-ray movies........

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5420
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #583
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Figures, I made the jump just before all this stuff happened...and went with HD-DVD when it didn't seem either format would "win." O well, at least I only have a few movies other than the freebies that came with the player.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #584
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Best Buy offering incentives for customers to choose Blu-ray over HD-DVD movies. They are offering gift cards with the purchase of 2 or more Blu-ray movies........

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5420

Only with select titles, and that ad went to bed well before Warner's announcement. I don't think it's an incentive for anybody to "choose" anything.

It's an incentive for people to buy movies, since we still sell 10x as many DVDs as we do both HD formats combined.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #585
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It's an incentive for people to buy movies, since we still sell 10x as many DVDs as we do both HD formats combined.

That will likely change once HD-DVD is phased out. In Japan, where the format war is all but over, HD movie sales now account for 1/3 of all movie media sales. People in America have been holding out due to the dual format issue. Sales should heat up substantially in the summer and fall.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #586
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New NPD number in for the past week. Blu-ray disc sales eclipse 80%+ for the second week in a row. This week, Blu-ray accounted for 85% of all HD movie sales. I'd be shocked if Universal and Paramount didn't make the jump in the next month or so.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #587
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
New NPD number in for the past week. Blu-ray disc sales eclipse 80%+ for the second week in a row. This week, Blu-ray accounted for 85% of all HD movie sales. I'd be shocked if Universal and Paramount didn't make the jump in the next month or so.

I'm hearing some rumblings that the overall number of HD titles sold is down since Warner Bros. announcement. So while BR's percentage of titles sold has increased, the actual number of titles sold hasn't.

That's the big fear for BR at the moment. The idea was that once Warner Brothers picked BR, then momentum would swing and sales would take off. But if there isn't a big takeoff in sales, there is still a slim chance that Warner could change their mind, since they gave a 5 month window until they stopped selling HD-DVD.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-28-2008 at 08:59 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #588
Daimyo
College Starter

That's what I heard about the numbers as well... BR hasn't increased its sales, HDDVD sales have plummeted.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #589
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm hearing some rumblings that the overall number of HD titles sold is down since Warner Bros. announcement. So while BR's percentage of titles sold has increased, the actual number of titles sold hasn't.

That's the big fear for BR at the moment. The idea was that once Warner Brothers picked BR, then momentum would swing and sales would take off. But if there isn't a big takeoff in sales, there is still a slim chance that Warner could change their mind, since they gave a 5 month window until they stopped selling HD-DVD.

There's a bit more to the deal than just Warner switching. Though no one is sure of the exact numbers, there was some form of 'benefit' given by Sony to Warner. Warner won't be switching back. Reportedly, the only reason that Weinstein Bros, Universal and Paramount haven't jumped ship yet is because they know what Warner got and want a similar deal. Unfortunately for them, it would appear that their bargaining leverage is much lower now that Warner has moved over to Blu-ray.

In regards to sales, this week was the first week that no 'Buy one, get one' deals were offered by Amazon on either format. As a result, a lot of people just held off on their purchases more than anything else. Also, Amazon now has a disclaimer on all Warner HD-DVD discs noting that Warner will be BR exclusive in May. That's certainly not going to help the sales of those discs.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-28-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #590
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Again, that is pretty useless.

What percent of the population have video devices that accept memory sticks? (the only flash memory mentioned in the article) What percentage of the population have the ability and/or hardware and software to put that file on a standard DVD?

What percent of the population have a standard DVD player?

Probably a higher percentage have memory card devices than multiple player/display combinations.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #591
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Probably a higher percentage have memory card devices than multiple player/display combinations.

You seriously want to argue that more people have devices that can play back video off memory sticks than people who have existing DVD players? Because that's really what this is about. You buy a BR disc with this functionality and you get to copy it over to your PSP to watch there (that's the only device mentioned in any of the press). You buy a combo HDDVD disc and you get to play it in any standard DVD player as is.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #592
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
You seriously want to argue that more people have devices that can play back video off memory sticks than people who have existing DVD players?

No, what I'm arguing is that more people have devices that can play video off a memory stick (PCs!) than have DVD players hooked up to MULTIPLE tvs.

People aren't worried about having to buy multiple versions because most people don't have multiple (large) TVs. I'm not going to buy a DVD just so I can play the movie on my 19" TV in the bedroom when I have a 42" TV in the livingroom. I'll buy it on blu-ray, and not give a crap that I can't watch it in the bedroom.

Thats why the combo-disk thing on Hd-dvd seems silly/not important to me. I don't care if I can watch it on the non-hd tv, because I own an HDTV.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #593
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
No, what I'm arguing is that more people have devices that can play video off a memory stick (PCs!) than have DVD players hooked up to MULTIPLE tvs.

People aren't worried about having to buy multiple versions because most people don't have multiple (large) TVs. I'm not going to buy a DVD just so I can play the movie on my 19" TV in the bedroom when I have a 42" TV in the livingroom. I'll buy it on blu-ray, and not give a crap that I can't watch it in the bedroom.

Thats why the combo-disk thing on Hd-dvd seems silly/not important to me. I don't care if I can watch it on the non-hd tv, because I own an HDTV.

In fairness to the combo-disc feature, that was probably also to entice people to buy HD-DVD when they hadn't yet got an HDTV, because they could watch the DVD side now, on their analog sets, and not have to buy a whole new disc once they did upgrade to an HDTV set.

yeah, the 19"/42" thing applies as well, but I don't think *that* was intended as the primary motivator for combo disc sales.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #594
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting stand-alone sales numbers for this past week. Blu-ray still outsold HD-DVD players by a 65:35 margin. HD-DVD had good sales numbers due to the clearance prices at multiple retail outlets. The interesting part is that, despite the increase in units moved, the revenue numbers were heavily weighted towards Blu-ray by a 4:1 margin.

Also, Woolworth's (one of England's big retailers) has pulled all support of HD-DVD. Rumors in the U.S. are also circulating that Best Buy, Target, and Circuit City all plan to clear their existing stock of HD-DVD merchandise and not restock after that.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #595
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Do you have kids? Cause a lot of my problem with not having a combo disk is that it limits the movie to the main TV. AKA "MY TV." If I'm buying the latest disney/pixar release, of course I want it on Blu Ray. But my daughter is not going to have a Blu Ray device on her TV anytime soon. Right now I'd basically have to buy two copies of every movie, since they don't have the dual discs. It's one of the reasons why I haven't chosen to upgrade yet, but the most important thing is obviously cost. The portable DVD player in my car probably won't be switched out for a blu ray device anytime soon either.

Once I do move to BD, I want to buy all the movies I buy exclusively on the format. But I gotta be able to use the discs in more than one place.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #596
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Do you have kids? Cause a lot of my problem with not having a combo disk is that it limits the movie to the main TV. AKA "MY TV."

Once I do move to BD, I want to buy all the movies I buy exclusively on the format. But I gotta be able to use the discs in more than one place.

Let's go through this. I'm not sure you fully understand the options that are available.

This DVD player that will read 7 different memory card formats is $45.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DRC245NTV-...1617933&sr=8-6

This portable DVD player will read 3 different memory card formats. It's $150.

http://www.amazon.com/Initial-IDM-85...1617933&sr=8-1

Blu-ray discs will contain a standard-definition copy of the movie that can be transferred to any memory card. That memory card can then be plugged directly into either of the DVD players I listed above. So, for as little as $45 plus a memory card (if you don't already own one), your daughter can watch any movie that you have on Blu-ray in her own room. Certainly there is some cost involved, but you don't need a BR player in every room and the movies on a memory card are honestly more portable than the DVD discs we currently carry around.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-29-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #597
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have a DVD player built-in to the car with screen and everything. How do I play a memory stick movie on that?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #598
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I have a DVD player built-in to the car with screen and everything. How do I play a memory stick movie on that?

You'd burn the movie file onto a DVD. I agree, a bit more trouble in that case, but still can be done.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-29-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #599
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
In fairness to the combo-disc feature, that was probably also to entice people to buy HD-DVD when they hadn't yet got an HDTV, because they could watch the DVD side now, on their analog sets, and not have to buy a whole new disc once they did upgrade to an HDTV set.

Yeah, except people who have SDTVs aren't going to pay $35 for a combo disk when they can get the DVD for $8.99
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #600
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Blu-ray discs will contain a standard-definition copy of the movie that can be transferred to any memory card.
I'd love to see a quote of this from Sony, because all I've seen is that the SD movie will be transferable to PSPs. I have also seen no mention of DRM for these files.

Quote:
So, for as little as $45 plus a memory card (if you don't already own one), your daughter can watch any movie that you have on Blu-ray in her own room.
Not all BR discs, it will be optional for the studio (a big reason why I don't think it will be as open as you suggest). Hopefully they'll indicate them on the box as well as HDDVD did with combo discs.

Last edited by Daimyo : 01-29-2008 at 09:39 AM.