Originally Posted by General Mike
do the Rangers have no money to spend?

They spent $3mil on Aaron Ward.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #552
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Howard Berger did a bizarre interview with Peca in which he basically begged to come to Toronto at any price. I'm sure his agent was thrilled.

As for me, I'm only accepting Peca into the Leafs family if he's willing to admit the Tucker hit was squeaky clean.

I heard the interview also.I was quite shocked by it.A Toronto guy that wants to come home before he is old enough to collect a pension is surprising.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #553
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I heard the interview also.I was quite shocked by it.A Toronto guy that wants to come home before he is old enough to collect a pension is surprising.

I don't know what good Peca will do for Toronto, the guy doesn't start playing until the playoffs...
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #554
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I don't know what good Peca will do for Toronto, the guy doesn't start playing until the playoffs...
Making your once-a-decade trip to the second round has you Oilers fans feeling fiesty.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #555
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Making your once-a-decade trip to the second round has you Oilers fans feeling fiesty.

Nah, the whole Pronger issue, then Spacek issue has done that.

Never mind the fact that Peca was as much if not more of a cancer during the season as Pronger was following it, but apparently because he somewhat stepped up his play during the playoffs (still wouldn't have called his playoff performance worth $4 million a year, but I digress), now a majority of fans wanted the brass here to figure out some way to get him back. Never mind the fact that we have Horcoff and Stoll, and while neither are true #1 centers, they can both do the things that Peca does/did as a very reduced price (over his salary last season) and we have numerous centers coming up through the system with (hopefully) more offensive upside than Peca has had since he entered the league.

As for the dig against Toronto, if I don't do them now, I may not get the chance again for a while, so it's the whole two birds and the stone thing.

shrug
Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #556
bbor
Pro Starter

Peca was bad in the dressing room?...why?Just because he wanted out?or did he have problems with someone?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #557
Travis
Pro Rookie

Public statements made during the trip to Vancouver (when we played them three times in a row) about his disagreements with the coaching staff/their philosophies/the way he was being used (this being after he was bumped to 4th line after extended time on the 1st line to open the season, then a pretty good amount of time on the 3rd line to see what he could do there.

It was also made public very early on that his family did not like it in Edmonton and that his one year contract would be that at the most, that he wanted back out East following the season (that was out well before his interview about the coaching staff).

All in all, for a guy that was playing out the last year of a big contract, he was unfairly ganged up on by the fans at the start of the year because he was put in a position by the coaches that was defined by his contract, not his style of play. But even when they finally woke up and put him back into the role that suited him, his effort on ice was spotty at best. His play in the playoffs was much improved and he showed what he was capable of. Had he played half that hard at the start of the year, he likely would have stayed on the first line with all the passes that Hemsky gave him for open net one timers that he would wiff on.

It was a very frustrating year on all three sides (player/team/fans), but his decision to go public created some serious backlash in Edmonton, until he kicked it up a notch in the playoffs and then a majority of the fans decided that he wasn't so bad.

Personally, I don't want him back because of his attitude, and the team doesn't need him back due to organizational depth. So at least on that score, I don't think I'm going to be disappointed by a shocker of a resigning.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #558
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

EJ is going to play a year at the U of M as predicted.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/538760.html
Old 07-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #559
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
EJ is going to play a year at the U of M as predicted.

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/538760.html

It's weird hearing the media call this story a suprise, I thought everyone assumed he was going to college unless the Blues pulled a miracle.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #560
General Mike
Pro Starter

Tom Poti to the Islanders.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #561
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Tom Poti to the Islanders.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHA

Ok, I'm finished.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #562
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHA

Ok, I'm finished.

I'll take it. We're pretty good in terms of defensive d-men, and maybe he can coach Campoli along into becoming a PP quarterback.

It's a 1-year deal so I'd think Poti might play a little more inspired than he did when with the Rags.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #563
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Initial reports have Shanahan signing with the Rangers. A 1 year deal for around $4 million.

The Wings have still yet to sign a free agent other than the Lidstrom and Osgood re-signings that took place pre-July 1 and July 1st, respectively.

The Wings also lost any sort of size/strength they had up front (even if Shanahan rarely used it anymore) and have done nothing to address the lack of grit along the blueline.

The recent talk has been of Danny Markov.

Not sure what the story upfront will be.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #564
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

TSN is saying Shanahan turned down more offers from Detroit and Montreal. odd.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #565
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, HB, I feel your pain, having essentially seen the Avs swap Rob Blake and Alex Tanguay for Jordan Leopold and Tyler Arneson.

oy vey
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #566
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
TSN is saying Shanahan turned down more offers from Detroit and Montreal. odd.

To say the least. I just don;t know. Rangers need defense, not offense.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #567
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Initial reports have Shanahan signing with the Rangers. A 1 year deal for around $4 million.

The Wings have still yet to sign a free agent other than the Lidstrom and Osgood re-signings that took place pre-July 1 and July 1st, respectively.

The Wings also lost any sort of size/strength they had up front (even if Shanahan rarely used it anymore) and have done nothing to address the lack of grit along the blueline.

The recent talk has been of Danny Markov.

Not sure what the story upfront will be.

Indeed. Markov would be solid at the backend, but yeah we're sitting idlely by, and yet I'm not too upset. We'll have some room next year to manuever, and if they to keep Dats, sadly, we'll need it. While I think something could happen, who knows anymore. I'd rather see him gone personally, but we'll see.

We're still a playoff team as I've said before, and anything can happen, but who knows what'll happen.

Shanny didn't like Babcock I don't think, so this is good turnover. If guys don't like the coach, let em' walk. I like Babcock a lot, and he got a lot out of Shanny, but not 4 million bucks worth.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #568
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

3-way trade. Chicago sends Mark Bell to San Jose for Tom Priessing and Josh Hennessy. Chicago then sends Priessing, Hennessy, Michal Barinka, and a 2008 2nd rounder to Ottawa for Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski.

Havlat then signs a 3 year, $18 million deal.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #569
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some thoughts:

- 3 x $6M is way too much for Havlat. Even if he scores 50 goals, he's lazy and selfish and a dressing room cancer.

- Nice work by the Sens to work Smolinski into the deal. He should have been bought out when they had the chance, nice work clearing some cap space.

- That said, they really didn't get anyone who'll have any impact for Havlat. If you think you're a Cup favorite (and lord knows Ottawa does), why not keep Havlat for one year even if you lose him for nothing? Why the constant focus on the future? At some point don't you need to draw a line in the sand and go for it?

- Finally, the structure of the deal implies that Ottawa could have acquired Bell straight up for Havlat/Smolinski. Why not just do that, instead of getting three nickels for a quarter?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #570
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some thoughts:

- 3 x $6M is way too much for Havlat. Even if he scores 50 goals, he's lazy and selfish and a dressing room cancer.

- Nice work by the Sens to work Smolinski into the deal. He should have been bought out when they had the chance, nice work clearing some cap space.

Yeah, that's a lot of cap space eaten up by the Hawks who have a lot more holes than just 2 to fill

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #571
Pyser
Pro Rookie

wow, the sens sent havlat to hockey's siberia! awesome.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #572
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
To say the least. I just don;t know. Rangers need defense, not offense.

The Rangers didn't have a second line. At all. This was a really good signing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #573
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

All sings point to Belfour signing with Wings tomorrow. Ugh. Not good times. Definitely not good times.

Holland really didn't seem to have any sort of off-season gameplan. Maybe he did, but was pre-occupied with Yzerman retiring, re-signing Lidstrom and going after Shanahan. Regardless, the Wings have not improved during the off-season.

While it is not over yet, I can see the Wings slipping to second place in the Central Division behind Nashville. I think they make the playoffs only because they are in the Central.

A Belfour/Osgood combo should scare no one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 AM   #574
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
The Rangers didn't have a second line. At all. This was a really good signing.

I also like the signing. Although it seems unlikely that they will be able to resign both Sykora and Rucinsky.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #575
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I also like the signing. Although it seems unlikely that they will be able to resign both Sykora and Rucinsky.

Larry Brooks says they aren't bringing Sykora back.

If they resign Rucinsky, that gives them 7 forwards for 6 spots. Playing Prucha on the 4th line is not a smart move to me.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #576
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Devils resign Colin White for 6 years, $18 million. They are now less than $2 million under the cap and still have Gomez and Gionta to deal with.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #577
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Devils resign Colin White for 6 years, $18 million. They are now less than $2 million under the cap and still have Gomez and Gionta to deal with.

Old news.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #578
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Old news.

Ah, I knew it sounded like it had been mentioned before. Weird that TSN has it listed as one of the main headlines.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #579
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Very early in this thread, I whined about all the former Devils who seem to find their way into Ranger blue. Thanks for joining the party, Shanahan! Bah.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #580
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is the Colin White who just signed a massive contract with the Devils any relation to the Colin White who used to play for the Devils and was terrible?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #581
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Very early in this thread, I whined about all the former Devils who seem to find their way into Ranger blue. Thanks for joining the party, Shanahan! Bah.

I tell ya.. he WILL be a Blue in EHM if I have anything to do with it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #582
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Is the Colin White who just signed a massive contract with the Devils any relation to the Colin White who used to play for the Devils and was terrible?
From the looks of things, I'm the only one who thinks he's terrible. Larry Robinson thought he was great. Kevin Constantine thought he was great. Pat Burns thought he was great. Obviously, Lou Lamoriello thinks he's great. Those guys know far more about hockey than I do (well, maybe not Kevin Constantine), so I guess I've got to trust this.

Damn it, I'm trying to convince myself here.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #583
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

A Belfour/Osgood combo should scare no one.

It should scare Red Wing fans
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #584
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
From the looks of things, I'm the only one who thinks he's terrible. Larry Robinson thought he was great. Kevin Constantine thought he was great. Pat Burns thought he was great. Obviously, Lou Lamoriello thinks he's great. Those guys know far more about hockey than I do (well, maybe not Kevin Constantine), so I guess I've got to trust this.

Damn it, I'm trying to convince myself here.

im not gonna argue with you again, pumpy! bottom line, to me, is you need a stay at home defenseman in this league. white is only a 6 yr vet, 28 yrs old, and we have him for $3m a year. look at the deals ufa d-men signed this offseason. white is a bargain, and is younger.

the rupp signing baffles me. we now have rupp, janssen, and weimer on board, and could well still be paying oliwa, langdon, and rasmussen, for all i know. though tsn doesnt have them listed, which is good. and ryznar are waiting in the wings. all those players are 4th line only. odd.

i think weimer is as good as gone, though.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #585
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
im not gonna argue with you again, pumpy! bottom line, to me, is you need a stay at home defenseman in this league. white is only a 6 yr vet, 28 yrs old, and we have him for $3m a year. look at the deals ufa d-men signed this offseason. white is a bargain, and is younger.

the rupp signing baffles me. we now have rupp, janssen, and weimer on board, and could well still be paying oliwa, langdon, and rasmussen, for all i know. though tsn doesnt have them listed, which is good. and ryznar are waiting in the wings. all those players are 4th line only. odd.

i think weimer is as good as gone, though.
Colin White does a great job of staying at home, assuming that "home" is the penalty box. I know you like him, and I'm sure that a lots of other fans like him. Hopefully, the next couple of seasons will be great for him, and he'll change my mind.

I agree that Weimer is probably gone. I don't think they really needed him last season, and they sure won't need him in the upcoming season. Rupp may be a good enough replacement for him, but I don't know. I hope Lamoriello sees something in Mike Rupp besides that goal in Game 7 of the 2003 finals. Sure, Mike Rupp is a huge guy, but I'm not convinced that he's really a great fit for the Devils. I can only hope.

I think the Devils are free of Oliwa (again), Langdon, and Rasmussen. I do like Rasmussen sometimes, but he needs to be more consistent. I'd understand if they don't bring him back, but who are they going to replace him with?

So far, I don't see the Devils showing any signs of getting better. There haven't been any significant additions, and there hasn't even been any addition by subtraction. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if they re-sign Tommy Albelin. Then they'd REALLY be spinning their wheels.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #586
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, this is no good. the post is reporting the rupp signing most likely means brylin is on his way out.

that i am vehemently opposed to. even though he's not good enough to be a 2nd line center, and not big enough or physical enough to be a 4th liner (and 3rd line is obviously checking line, manned by madden)...brylin has proved to be nothing but a useful guy to have around, and barely costs more than a mil.

though there were reports last season that he ripped on lou for mishandling mogilny (though he apparently said it to a russian paper and then denied it). we all know lou holds a grudge.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #587
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings re-signed Brett Lebda to a 4 year deal. Not surprising there. I am sure it averages out to a pretty low per year value. He's a young, depth guy.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #588
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs bolster Joel Quenneville's doghouse by re-signing Kurt Sauer
Old 07-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #589
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here's my take on the Belfour situation.

It's possible that Holland is just using Belfour as a decoy. There are a handful of goalies out there that want/need to be traded: Biron, one of the Anaheim duo, and one of the San Jose duo. The Wings are really the only team that hasn't addressed its goalie situation. The other teams that had issues going into the season (Tampa, Toronto, Ottawa) have already their starters. Detroit could be using Belfour to try and get Buffalo, Anaheim, and/or San Jose to drop their asking price. Having an alternative is never a bad thing. On the other hand, it's possible Holland feels that Belfour and Osgood will be good enough to start the season. Belfour will sign a very modest deal (around $500k plus incentives). If he works out and can return to form, great. If not, they still have Ozzie as a back-up, can call upon Howard if need be, and will have the cap flexibility to make a trade somewhere later in the season (see, e.g., Edmonton and Roloson).

Looking at all the fee agent signings that have occurred over the last 11 days, there are very few players who I think I would have been happy the Wings signed for the money they got. Aaron Ward for around $2.5 million+ is ridiculous. A lot of these guys are good players, but not worth the contracts they got. There are probably one or two players out there who were good signings for reasonable money, but they were the exception, not to the rule. I can see where Holland is coming from by being patient.

The problem now is that the cupboard is pretty bare. The only "top six" caliber forwards left on the UFA market are Sykora, Peca, Samsonov, and Carter. All talented players and it would be nice if the Wings picked up one or two of these guys, but they don't exactly fit the Wings' biggest need: some toughness and grit. I am not saying the Wings need to go out a resurrect Krystof Oliwa's career or unearth the second coming of Stu Grimson. There are certainly a number of 4th line type "grinders" out there, but the Wings need someone with size and toughness who can play more than 8 minutes a game. There is no one out there left, be they a forward or defensemen. The Wings could certainly use one of each.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #590
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The Sabres resigned defenseman Brian 'Soupy' Campbell today to a two-year deal ($1.25 million for year one and $1.75 million for year two).

Excellent deal for Buffalo, as Campbell exploded offensively this year and provided a bunch of highlight reel hits.

Remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdN9N...ian%20campbell

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #591
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Isles get Chris Simon, 1 year, $1mil.

I'll take it.

hxxp://s11.invisionfree.com/IslanderCountry/index.php?showtopic=3869
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #592
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And finally some good news for Flyers fans..

Quote:
Forsberg could return for start of Flyers season
By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
July 11, 2006

Philadelphia Flyers' Peter Forsberg of Sweden plays against the Boston Bruins in the third period of a hockey game Nov. 8, 2005, in Philadelphia. Forsberg does not need surgery on his left ankle and could be ready for the start of the season, more than four months earlier than the Flyers star was expected to return, it was announced Tuesday, July 11, 2006.
AP - Jul 11, 5:41 pm EDT
More Photos

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Peter Forsberg doesn't need surgery on his left ankle and could be ready for the start of the NHL season, more than four months earlier than the Philadelphia Flyers forward was expected to return.

Forsberg met with a doctor in Charlotte, N.C., on Tuesday who told him the damage to the left ankle would not need to be corrected with surgery. The center's right ankle was operated on two months ago.

"We're going to hold on the second surgery at this time," Flyers trainer Jim McCrossin said Tuesday. "We're going to rehab Peter's left ankle. That rehab will start tomorrow."

McCrossin said Forsberg can begin skating Sept. 1.

"It's our hope and our goal that we would have him back by the first of the season," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
In mid-May, Forsberg had torn ligaments repaired and several bones realigned in his right ankle during a three-hour operation. He was scheduled to have the same procedure on his left ankle when the right one healed, and was expected to be sidelined until about January.

Forsberg started rehabilitation Thursday on his right ankle, seven weeks after the operation.

"It's been a hard couple of weeks now," he said. "Not to do the second one is great. Knowing I'm going to be back at the start of the season is great, too. I'm really happy today about what was decided. I'm excited to get the season going."

Forsberg has not ruled out the other surgery one day, but Dr. Robert Anderson said rehabilitation should strengthen the ligaments. Anderson told the former MVP the damage to the left ankle was "not even close" to the injuries sustained in his right one.

"It shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully it's going to be fine," Forsberg said.

Forsberg has had ankle problems for about seven years. The Flyers have said that the surgery should make him less prone to groin and abdominal strains. Most of the 22 games he missed last season were from groin-related injuries.

"It is a relief," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said. "I think it gives us a much better chance to plan on how the season is going to start. Obviously, it's exceptionally good news for the hockey team."

Forsberg complained at the end of the season that he had loose ligaments in his ankles that were more uncomfortable than painful. The condition affected his balance, put added stress on his legs and made it difficult to keep his right foot in his skate.

"The right one has been the bad thing," Forsberg said. "It's always been slipping and sliding and not being able to stay in the boot. We think because of that, the left one has been feeling bad, too."

He had 19 goals and 75 points in his first season with the Flyers after leaving Colorado for a two-year, $11.5 million contract last summer.

Often considered one of the world's premier hockey players, Forsberg's impact in the lineup was obvious. Philadelphia was 35-16-9 with him in the lineup and 10-10-2 without him.

Forsberg, who led Sweden to an Olympic gold medal in Turin, said he has not talked about an extension with Flyers management.

"I'd like to see how the foot feels before we do anything," Forsberg said. "I'm sure we're going to do something some time."

McCrossin also said Flyers captain Keith Primeau, who missed nearly all of last season because of lingering symptoms from a concussion, had symptoms reappear, possibly because of a virus.

The trainer said Primeau had been working out regularly before complaining of pressure inside his head.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #593
Karim
College Starter

The Flames are holding a press conference tomorrow with the expectation that Darryl Sutter will relinquish his head coaching duties to Assistant Coach Jim Playfair and become a full-time GM. Current Flyers Assistant Coach Wayne Fleming has joined the Flames as an Assistant Coach.

Last edited by Karim : 07-12-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 AM   #594
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
The Flames are holding a press conference tomorrow with the expectation that Darryl Sutter will relinquish his head coaching duties to Assistant Coach Jim Playfair and become a full-time GM. Current Flyers Assistant Coach Wayne Fleming has joined the Flames as an Assistant Coach.

I thought i heard that in the background on sportsnet, but i convinced myself i heard wrong. Any idea why?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 AM   #595
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
I thought i heard that in the background on sportsnet, but i convinced myself i heard wrong. Any idea why?

It was no secret that Sutter always had intentions of being GM-only the day he was given the dual role. The word was teams had been interested in interviewing Playfair for head coaching positions but the Flames denied permission for an interview because they intended him to take over for Sutter. Playfair has been groomed ever since winning the Calder Cup with Calgary's AHL affiliate a few years back.

What's unusual is that Sutter signed Zyuzin and Friesen, two players who played under him in San Jose. As a result, it was thought Sutter would be behind the bench for at least one more year. The Flames really only have a two-year window to win the Cup because the contracts of Phaneuf, Regehr, Kiprusoff and Iginla all expire in two years.

Last edited by Karim : 07-12-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #596
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The NHL has released the 2006-07 schedule. Opening night on October 4 will not feature the 15-game bonanza that started things last year, but will feature three games, including the Hurricanes raising the banner against the Buffalo Sabres. Sweet.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #597
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I still see a few of those dumb back-to-back games in the same building, but at least they have a few true "home-and-homes" this year.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #598
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Weee! 24 games against the collective of Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus! Then again, the Red Wings, sans Yzerman and Shanahan, probably aren't the draw they once were.

At least Montreal and Toronto are coming to town.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #599
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

That schedule is AWFUL.

I HATE the schedule they used this season and they aren't changing it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #600
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Montreal sign Sergei Samsonov for 2 years.

Fire Ron Lee.