Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #551
st.cronin
General Manager

You could see this day coming for the Mavs, from the day they drafted Jason Kidd.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #552
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
You could see this day coming for the Mavs, from the day they drafted Jason Kidd.

What's that wife-beater got to do with anything?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #553
miami_fan
Coordinator

If it weren't for the Heat, I would like to see David Stern present the trophy to Mark Cuban. Their "relationship" reminds me of the one between All Davis and Paul Tagliabue.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #554
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

What's that wife-beater got to do with anything?

That was irony, or something. Never mind.

knives out
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #555
Philliesfan980
Banned

Was anyone else a little disturbed by Josh Howard's dunk with about .5 seconds left? I know, small thing, but did he really have to do that?

Wouldn't have seen that play happen 20 years ago.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #556
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Congratulations to the Mavericks, an organization I've been extremely fond of ever since Mark Cuban took over.

Now if only Cuban would look into buying the Cubs.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #557
Franklinnoble
Banned

I think I'm gonna have to root for the Heat in the Finals. I was pulling for Phoenix, but since they're no longer an option, I think I'd like to see Shaq get a ring without Kobe... and I would LOVE for Kobe to never get another ring without Shaq.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #558
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Well, I'd have to agree with FN, I'd like to see Shaq get a ring without Kobe and I really want to see Wade get a ring. That kid can play.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #559
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Heat vs. Mavs, baby!

I find it pretty amazing that only 7 teams have won the NBA Title in the last 26 seasons. For the first time in the past 26 years, we're going to crown a champion that's not from the city of Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Antonio or Houston!
Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #560
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Rooting for the Mavs. Last thing I want to see that fat, petty bitch Shaq do is get another ring. Wade deserves a ring. Shaq and Payton certainly do not. Those are two of the least classy players in the league.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #561
JeeberD
General Manager

Wow, to come back after such an awful start is amazing, though it's true that no lead is ever safe in an NBA game.

I hope the Mavs blow the Heat out of the water, but I'm expecting a good series. Shaq was always a thorn in the Mavs side, but with Damp and Diop I tink they can slow him down. Put Howard on Wade and leave it up to the Heat's other options to beat you...I like the Mavs chances.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #562
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Was anyone else a little disturbed by Josh Howard's dunk with about .5 seconds left? I know, small thing, but did he really have to do that?

Yeah, I thought it was a little uncalled for.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #563
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Rooting for the Mavs. Last thing I want to see that fat, petty bitch Shaq do is get another ring. Wade deserves a ring. Shaq and Payton certainly do not. Those are two of the least classy players in the league.

Gary Payton is actually one of the nicest, classiest athletes I have ever met. He talks a lot of trash on court, but off court he is a true gentleman.

knives out
Old 06-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #564
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Mourning is a douchebag and the reason I'm going to be hoping the Mavs win.

Wade is young enough, and certainly talented enough to get another strong shot at it in the future.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #565
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gary Payton is actually one of the nicest, classiest athletes I have ever met. He talks a lot of trash on court, but off court he is a true gentleman.

The press clippings disagree. When he's not happy in a situation, he makes everyone involved unhappy. He did it in Seattle, Milwaukee, LA and Boston. He's a ballhog with an inflated sense of his own importance, a level of importance that hasn't been near true since Seattle. Did you notice that little blowup between him and Wade earlier this postseason? Do you think it's a coincidence he was involved?

I'm glad he displays class to the fans, and that you had a pleasant experience with him. But the guy does not rank high in the NBA for maturity, even at his age.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #566
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
The press clippings disagree. When he's not happy in a situation, he makes everyone involved unhappy. He did it in Seattle, Milwaukee, LA and Boston. He's a ballhog with an inflated sense of his own importance, a level of importance that hasn't been near true since Seattle. Did you notice that little blowup between him and Wade earlier this postseason? Do you think it's a coincidence he was involved?

I'm glad he displays class to the fans, and that you had a pleasant experience with him. But the guy does not rank high in the NBA for maturity, even at his age.

I think there are certain people in the PRESS who don't like him. From what I can tell, he's incredibly popular with players in the NBA. I spent 2 years tending bar across from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, and interacted with tons of NBA players. Gary Payton is the only one I would actually want to meet again (except possibly Dikembe Mutombo), and, as I said, from what I can tell, he's beloved by most players, regardless of team affiliation.

knives out
Old 06-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #567
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think there are certain people in the PRESS who don't like him. From what I can tell, he's incredibly popular with players in the NBA. I spent 2 years tending bar across from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, and interacted with tons of NBA players. Gary Payton is the only one I would actually want to meet again (except possibly Dikembe Mutombo), and, as I said, from what I can tell, he's beloved by most players, regardless of team affiliation.

That doesn't mean he's classy, though. Telling coaches (numerous) he needs the ball more (especially when he has Kobe nad Shaq as teammates), bitching about his contract situations, getting into fights with teammates on court or saying stuff in the press about them (which he has done, regardless of how popular he is), refusing to go to Boston when he was traded? None of this classy. And then he's a punk on the court, too, as you noted.

I'm not saying he doesn't have some redeeming value as a person, as you noted. But this guy doesn't get as good ratings for his humanity as he does for how he handles a basketball.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #568
st.cronin
General Manager

"Classy" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I think he rates as one of the classiest players in the league.

knives out
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #569
JeeberD
General Manager

Interesting stat I just heard on the radio...the Mavs have lost Game 1 in six of their last seven playoff series. The only Game 1 they won was in the first round this year when they swept the Grizz...

Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #570
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The biggest winner of the finals won't be Dallas or Miami, it'll be American Airlines. The two venues are the American Airlines Arena (Miami) and the American Airlines Center (Dallas). Those stadium sponsorship agreements look like a pretty good deal now, considering the amount of airtime that AA logo is going to get over the next couple of weeks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-08-2006 at 03:39 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #571
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I pick the Mavs in 6
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #572
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Mavs up by 2 at Halftime. 46-44. Jason Terry is having one hell of a game. 20 points 9/11 from the field.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #573
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nice 2nd quarter by the Mavs.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #574
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Go DUH-LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #575
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dallas with the 90-80 win. Jason Terry was the best player on that floor tonight. Dwyane Wade be damned.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #576
JeeberD
General Manager

Wade looked great at times, pedestrian at others. Aside from a nice first quarter, Shaq was a non-factor.

Terry was definitely the hero of the game. With the way Dirk and Howard were shooting it would have been a long night if The Jet hadn't stepped up...

Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #577
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Wade looked great at times, pedestrian at others. Aside from a nice first quarter, Shaq was a non-factor.

Terry was definitely the hero of the game. With the way Dirk and Howard were shooting it would have been a long night if The Jet hadn't stepped up...

Jeebs, you'll be happy to know that the Dallas comeback started once I turned the game off after the first quarter and followed it exclusively via radio.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #578
JeeberD
General Manager

Good job, Josh.

I never worry when the Mavs are down early in the game. They always have a run in them, and truly...no lead is ever safe in the NBA.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #579
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Good job, Josh.

I never worry when the Mavs are down early in the game. They always have a run in them, and truly...no lead is ever safe in the NBA.

Jeebs, I don't know if I have the strength to stay away from the TV for the entire series, though.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #580
thealmighty
Pro Starter

One down, three to go!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #581
Groundhog
Coordinator

Good game Jet, but those breakaway layups... well, you might want to work on them at practice...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #582
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Can you feel the Terry-fic Nowitzness!?

I do hope the Mavs go on and win the title.

In DIRK we trust!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:48 AM   #583
miami_fan
Coordinator

Frustrating game last night. The Heat had a good opportunity to take advantage of a sub par game from Dirk and did not. Obviously free throws play a large part in killing them. Great adjustment by Avery running the pick and roll more with Dirk than Diop/Dampier. I thought the point guard would be a problem for the Heat. I just thought it would be Harris instead of Terry.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really hope the mavs win this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #585
JeeberD
General Manager

So why the fuck does the NBA change the series from 2-2-1-1-1 all post-season long to 2-3-2 in the finals?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #586
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
So why the fuck does the NBA change the series from 2-2-1-1-1 all post-season long to 2-3-2 in the finals?

So Dallas can close out each series with a road win?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #587
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

I'm pretty sure its because of the assumed distances traveled for the games. It's one thing if you've got two teams who end up kind of centrally located on the map but if you've got say Miami and L.A. or whatever in the finals that's a little different than a conference finals or earlier series where you generally at least have two teams in the same time zone playing and the travel isn't so bad.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #588
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I'm pretty sure its because of the assumed distances traveled for the games. It's one thing if you've got two teams who end up kind of centrally located on the map but if you've got say Miami and L.A. or whatever in the finals that's a little different than a conference finals or earlier series where you generally at least have two teams in the same time zone playing and the travel isn't so bad.

Plus I think it levels the playing field a bit. Homecourt advantage is offset by the other team getting three home games in a row.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #589
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski

In my day the Lakers and Celtics would fly everyday, all day for as long as it took to settle the series.

These little tit mice today can't even go from Dallas to Miami a couple times.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #590
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Like said earlier, it's because the teams are from the Eastern and Western conference. It's easier for the players and basically everyone involved.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #591
astralhaze
College Prospect

Dallas is going to win this series. They might even sweep. The reason is simple enough and was demonstrated last night: depth. Miami's depth after the big two is highly overrated and not that great. Dallas, OTOH, has the deepest rotation in the league. If you consider Nowitzki and Terry to be the big two, I would take Howard, Diop, Stack and Devin Harris over any of the rest of the Heat players.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #592
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

NHL still does it the 2-2-1-1-1 way, which given it's now Raleigh and Edmonton is a hella long way to do four (potential) back-to-back site switches.

I think I read somewhere that the NBA did the 2-2-1-1-1 format up until the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics were regularly threatening to compete against each other in the finals every year.

(Checks Google, finds answer) Turns out, it went to 2-3-2 in 1985 because of TV (CBS) not liking to carry the games during prime time, so they spread out the first four games in 1984 and then went three games in five days to finish the series out. So, they switched the following year, ostensibly to reduce stress on teams and media. However, it's speculated a secondary benefit is the fact that a 2-3-2 arrangement increases odds of having a long series because the home-court-advantaged team would have to win two road games in order to claim a championship in five games or less, whereas in a 2-2-1-1-1 format, they only need to get one road game to win in five or less.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #593
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow, this is sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #594
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Wow, this is sad.

Very.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:15 AM   #595
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
NHL still does it the 2-2-1-1-1 way, which given it's now Raleigh and Edmonton is a hella long way to do four (potential) back-to-back site switches.

I think I read somewhere that the NBA did the 2-2-1-1-1 format up until the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics were regularly threatening to compete against each other in the finals every year.

(Checks Google, finds answer) Turns out, it went to 2-3-2 in 1985 because of TV (CBS) not liking to carry the games during prime time, so they spread out the first four games in 1984 and then went three games in five days to finish the series out. So, they switched the following year, ostensibly to reduce stress on teams and media. However, it's speculated a secondary benefit is the fact that a 2-3-2 arrangement increases odds of having a long series because the home-court-advantaged team would have to win two road games in order to claim a championship in five games or less, whereas in a 2-2-1-1-1 format, they only need to get one road game to win in five or less.

It's 22111 in every round except the finals. The finals is 232 primarily to cut down on west/east coast travel also.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully Dallas can go to Miami and finish this thing off. After the Cavs dissapointment in Detroit, I'd just like this season to be completed.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #597
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Wow, this is sad.

Not at all!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:03 AM   #598
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not at all!

I must agree with this assessment!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #599
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Game 3! Hopefully the Mavs win this one, and then sweep at game 4, handing Shaq another Finals Sweep while having a promising guard-of-the-future, and several notable roleplayers around him.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #600
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
Game 3! Hopefully the Mavs win this one, and then sweep at game 4, handing Shaq another Finals Sweep while having a promising guard-of-the-future, and several notable roleplayers around him.

yep. This one's for you Alonzo.