Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #551
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If that is true, that really sucks. I read the reply below that you can still use them as a wired controller, but I don't want wired controllers. I've come to really enjoy having wireless controllers.

You can be pretty sure that 3rd party manufacturers will be coming out with wireless controllers that do have replacable batteries. I'm personally going to hold out for that. I'm mostly a single player gamer, so I can wait to get a second controller until one comes out that allows you to replace batteries.

To some extent, this may increase the competition between controller manufacturers to create a controller that is better than Sony's controller. With the knowledge that all PS3 controllers will have to be replaced at some point, it's going to create an obvious demand.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #552
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You can be pretty sure that 3rd party manufacturers will be coming out with wireless controllers that do have replacable batteries. I'm personally going to hold out for that. I'm mostly a single player gamer, so I can wait to get a second controller until one comes out that allows you to replace batteries.

To some extent, this may increase the competition between controller manufacturers to create a controller that is better than Sony's controller. With the knowledge that all PS3 controllers will have to be replaced at some point, it's going to create an obvious demand.

I've gotten to the point in my console life that I will *never* by a 3rd party controller again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #553
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony has now released a statement that it will replace any controllers that stop working.

From Joystiq:

Sony to replace PS3 controllers when/if they die
Posted Oct 20th 2006 9:15AM by Alexander Sliwinski
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3

Sony tells GameIndustry.biz that they will replace PS3 controllers "when and if" they die. As reported yesterday the PS3 controller does not have a replaceable battery pack. The controllers were designed to be play and toss at $49.99 USD when the lithium battery degraded to the point where it could no longer recharge.

A Sony spokesperson said, "The latest generation of Lithium Polymer batteries hardly suffer any memory effect at all, so it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance." And with Sony expecting the PS3 life-cycle at 10 years we're hoping they'll be efficient in their replacement procedure.

Who wants to write the story on how much money you'll save with the PS3 controller over 360 and Wii battery replacement (or battery packs) in the long run?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #554
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I've gotten to the point in my console life that I will *never* by a 3rd party controller again.

Never for me either.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #555
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Never for me either.

Although I did think the Xbox controller that my friend had that blew air on your hands to be pretty funny.. I think it was Madcatz. It was a piece of crap, but the air thing was an interesting concept.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #556
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Count me among those who have been burned by 3rd party controllers (for both the PS2 and Xbox) and will never buy a 3rd party controller again.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-20-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #557
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops.

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which slashed its profit forecast yesterday, said it may not reach this year's shipment target for the PlayStation 3 game console because of a parts shortage in the Blu-ray high-definition disc drive.

Sony plans to ship two million PlayStation 3 players this year to the U.S. and Japan, and six million worldwide by March. The Tokyo-based company said yesterday annual profit would fall 35 percent to its lowest in five years on price cuts of the console in Japan and a recall of 9.6 million computer batteries.

"The honest answer is it's more of a target'' for PlayStation 3 shipments, Jack Tretton, co-chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said yesterday in an interview. "Clearly we've had production issues.''
Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #558
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if they will be able to fill their pre-order of 8 or whatever it is was to each Gamestop/EB Games on launch day.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #559
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm shocked.

No. Really.

Seriously.

Why don't you believe me?

Quote:
Old 10-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #560
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oops.

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which slashed its profit forecast yesterday, said it may not reach this year's shipment target for the PlayStation 3 game console because of a parts shortage in the Blu-ray high-definition disc drive.

Sony plans to ship two million PlayStation 3 players this year to the U.S. and Japan, and six million worldwide by March. The Tokyo-based company said yesterday annual profit would fall 35 percent to its lowest in five years on price cuts of the console in Japan and a recall of 9.6 million computer batteries.

"The honest answer is it's more of a target'' for PlayStation 3 shipments, Jack Tretton, co-chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said yesterday in an interview. "Clearly we've had production issues.''

FYI....the launch total is not expected to change. It's only the end year total that may change. Also, the 6 million units shipped by March 2007 is still expected to be accurate. So it basically only affects the near term. What you'll probably see is that the units cut end up selling in the 1st quarter of next year (when they finally ship), producing greater than expected profits for that quarter. It all evens out in the end.

What should be the real concern for Sony is the cut of 3 million units forcasted sales on PSP next year. That can't be blamed on supply and is cause for concern.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #561
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Oops.

No! I won't believe it! /sarcasm

I knew as soon as they cut the launch day total that there was no way they'd hit 2 million by year's end. Don't expect 6 million by the end of March to end up being a viable target, either.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #562
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
FYI....the launch total is not expected to change. It's only the end year total that may change. Also, the 6 million units shipped by March 2007 is still expected to be accurate. So it basically only affects the near term. What you'll probably see is that the units cut end up selling in the 1st quarter of next year (when they finally ship), producing greater than expected profits for that quarter. It all evens out in the end.

What should be the real concern for Sony is the cut of 3 million units forcasted sales on PSP next year. That can't be blamed on supply and is cause for concern.

I have to disagree. Sont has priced itself out of being a second system. Their problem is that with the holiday season coming, what will all the people, especially parents, do when they can't get a PS3?

I think there will be a lot of households with new 360s and Wiis. Once you've got a different system with all the games and crap in all these households, I can see there not being that much of a push for a PS3-- at least until there's a price-drop.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #563
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sony's resorting to outright lies to try to knock down the XBox 360:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...hus-costs-700/
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #564
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. Assuming this article is true, I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to actually get a legal ruling.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #565
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Interesting. Assuming this article is true, I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to actually get a legal ruling.

About 1.3 seconds would be my guess.

Sony isn't doing itself any favors right now. They continue to botch this thing beyond belief.

They'd better hope to high heavens there is no widespread hardware problems. And the odds are, with a first release, there will be some hardware problems.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #566
dervack
College Prospect

Don't want to check back in this thread to see if it's mentioned, but did anyone say anything about Sony launching with 400,000 in US and 100,000 in Japan?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #567
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Sony's resorting to outright lies to try to knock down the XBox 360:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...hus-costs-700/

I really hope Sony loses its shirt on this one.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #568
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

What could they legally sue for? If you want a comparable system, and you start with the core system - it's correct.

Even with a premium system you're looking at $650 in comparison (that's the key word). They try to say this isn't required, and silver membership and blah blah, but if you want the similiar system to the PS3 out of the box it's fact. It's just more garbage being twisted, the only difference is people get pissy when they have it twisted towards the 360 instead.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #569
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

dola

and some of you people have gone beyond petty and pathetic in this thread, it's getting sad really.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #570
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The line in there is REQUIRED TO BUY. There's about $250-$300 in there that Sony claims you're required to buy, and you're not.

They also screwed up the wireless controller thing.

The only thing pathetic in this thread is how folks defend Sony after fuckup after fuckup
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #571
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Wow, it's amazing that it's so hard for you to understand.

If you want to watch HD dvds, you are required to buy a 199 HD dvd addon, if you want to play your games online, you are required to sign up for xbox live, if you want a harddrive, and a wireless controller you are required to seperately purchase those with a core system. With a premium system you're required to pay an addition $100.

This is why it is called a comparison, comparing two products in what one gives out of the box, and what the other does not - and what the comparable product would cost you if you wanted the same features. This is a procedure done by software companies, electronic companies and I'd bet anyone here have made price and feature comparisons.

IF I want a HDTV, I buy a HDTV then I am REQUIRED to buy a HD atenna, dvd player or receiver to watch HDTV. If a tv comes with a free HD atenna, then list that with the competitor you have to buy a HD atenna, this is not a lie, it is a fact because if you want this feature, you have to buy it seperately.

If they manage to sue over this, and even get past early stages then Mizzou (I think he was the one who posted it) better go back and edit his post because he made the same exact comparison two months ago.

Atleast stick to something that is news if you're going to try to stir shit.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #572
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
If you want to watch HD dvds, you are required to buy a 199 HD dvd addon

Okay.

Quote:
if you want to play your games online, you are required to sign up for xbox live

Well, always assuming that the games you want to play online require Live. Some, such as FFXI and Phantasy Star Universe, do not.

But sure, accepted.

Quote:
if you want a harddrive, and a wireless controller you are required to seperately purchase those with a core system. With a premium system you're required to pay an addition $100.

Wait, what? Where is that $100 figure coming from? Are you talking about the difference in price between the two systems, in that to get those stuff with a premium, you're paying $100 extra for the package upgrade?

Got news for you - that's also true of PS3.

Quote:
This is why it is called a comparison, comparing two products in what one gives out of the box, and what the other does not - and what the comparable product would cost you if you wanted the same features. This is a procedure done by software companies, electronic companies and I'd bet anyone here have made price and feature comparisons.

Sure, and the disingenuous thing here is that Sony is making a comparison as a core user, when pretty clearly, anybody who WANTS those extra features can pay the extra $100 for the premium, rather than shelling out the extra ~$220 to turn a core INTO a premium.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #573
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wait, what? Where is that $100 figure coming from? Are you talking about the difference in price between the two systems, in that to get those stuff with a premium, you're paying $100 extra for the package upgrade?

Got news for you - that's also true of PS3.

Everything put in their comparison list comes with the PS3 'core' and the PS3 'premium'. The 360 doesn't have that advantage, infact...

Quote:
Sure, and the disingenuous thing here is that Sony is making a comparison as a core user, when pretty clearly, anybody who WANTS those extra features can pay the extra $100 for the premium, rather than shelling out the extra ~$220 to turn a core INTO a premium.

Even with a 360 premium system you're talking about 650 (IF you add xbox live membership for a year, if not 600) instead of 700... big whoop... throw in a rechargable kit and you're pushing above 600 and this is all before tax.

It's all nitpicking, and calling it a lie is bullshit in it's own right.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #574
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Even with a 360 premium system you're talking about 650 (IF you add xbox live membership for a year, if not 600) instead of 700... big whoop... throw in a rechargable kit and you're pushing above 600 and this is all before tax.

It's all nitpicking, and calling it a lie is bullshit in it's own right.

The problem is twofold.

1) Everything is IF.

IF you want to watch HD-DVDs. Nobody is saying that $600 is too much for people who will fully utilize the capabilities of the PS3.

It's the average consumer they have to be concerned with, even if they're not early adopters. The price will still sink in and that's an obstacle to be overcome.

2) The features being bandied about aren't equal.

Number one, with respect to online play, Sony has only guaranteed 'free' with respect to first-party titles. Nothing is preventing EA from, say, having an EA network where you pay $5 or $10/month to access online functionality for Madden, FIFA, Fight Night, Burnout, etc.

Live is $50/year. Sure. But that's to play everything except MMO-style games. If even one company breaks with Sony to charge $5/month for access to their games, as in my EA example above, I'm already paying $60/year for that. Given how EA have embraced microtransactions with Xbox Live Marketplace, I don't think that's such a ludicrous possibility.

Number two, also with respect to online play, will Sony's network be as polished as Xbox Live when it hits the ground? I tend to doubt it. I hope like hell I'm wrong, because a free, Live-quality service would be fantastic. But I really don't see that happening.

Number three, consider this: to recharge the controllers on PS3, you're going to HAVE to have either a trickle charger or a recharging cradle, since it doesn't use rechargeable AA's (which, incidentally, the 360 controller can) and since the system doesn't come with those.

Did you notice that's a cost Sony isn't involving in their comparison? Gosh, wonder why not.

Number four, when my rechargeable battery for my Xbox 360 controller dies, I can get a new one for $12. Chances are pretty good that my battery is going to last for at least as long as the ones internal to the Sixaxis. Difference is, I have easy replacement options if and when it dies. Sony? They'll have a replacement service, but no word on what it will cost. One hopes less than the $50 replacement of a new controller, but one can't be certain about that absent concrete information, now, can one?

Finally, number five, I have to wonder at Sony's use of 'required.' It smacks an awful lot of justification. Rather than say "This is what we offer, and this is why it's a value on its own merit," it sounds as if they're referring to non-essential accessories from their competitors to somehow deaden the impact of that $599.

That tells me something. If the PS3 is such a great value at the price, that should speak for itself, without having to resort to deception OR semantics.

Last edited by SackAttack : 10-21-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #575
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What could they legally sue for? If you want a comparable system, and you start with the core system - it's correct.

Even with a premium system you're looking at $650 in comparison (that's the key word). They try to say this isn't required, and silver membership and blah blah, but if you want the similiar system to the PS3 out of the box it's fact. It's just more garbage being twisted, the only difference is people get pissy when they have it twisted towards the 360 instead.

Edit: Josh summed it all up much better than I did.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-21-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #576
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I got a phone call from EB Games letting me know Talledega Nights (Blu-Ray) will be bundled with my PS3. Although I already knew that, nice!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #577
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
No! I won't believe it! /sarcasm

I knew as soon as they cut the launch day total that there was no way they'd hit 2 million by year's end. Don't expect 6 million by the end of March to end up being a viable target, either.

Is this the point where I mention that Nintendo has already upped the projected stock of Wii's at launch and in the first year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #578
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oops.

Just an update. Bloomberg incorrectly stated the situation. The Bloomberg writer mistook their statement as though it was a cut in Japan/American units. The cut that Sony discussed with them was the previously announced moveback of the European launch. There is no cut in the forecast for Japan/America.

This hope that some people get at the slightest news that there is a problem with the PS3 is getting borderline pathetic at this point. It's good that the posts are being made under this thread title. It emphasizes just what can happen when knee-jerk reactions are made on the slightest rumor. Wait until spring. I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about by that point in time. More than likely, a console war will be on at that point and this thread will look just as silly as it seems right now.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #579
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More like the defenders of the Sony Empire are getting pathetic. "You can't hate sony. You can't take joy in their missteps, Wah Wah WAAHHHHH!!!"

Sony is charging hundreds of dollars more for "features" that people don't really want, it's just a blatant attempt to lock down the next generation DVD war that folks don't really want to see at this time (the difference between Tape and DVD was a spectacular leap forward.. there is just not the user base to support this Next Gen DVD war, there's simply not enough people with HDTV at this point.)

Plus there is the unbelieveable arrogance of Sony that no matter what the customer wants, they could take a large steaming dump, slap the PS logo on it, and folks would buy it unthinkingly.

Combined with the other things that have plagued the Sony name (rootkits anyone?), and the constant pronouncements from the company such as the required to buy leaflet which is nothing to sort, and yes, we are actively hoping Sony falls on their face.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #580
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
A Sony spokesperson said, "The latest generation of Lithium Polymer batteries hardly suffer any memory effect at all, so it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance."

Are those the same generation of Lithium batteries that Sony makes that have been exploding in laptops, or is this the generation that fixed that problem?

Old 10-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #581
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hey, c'mon, let's be fair, here - remember at one time they were looking at adopting the 'Achievement' system and calling them 'Entitlements'?

They've backed off of that.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #582
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Are those the same generation of Lithium batteries that Sony makes that have been exploding in laptops, or is this the generation that fixed that problem?

A way for Al Queda (sp?) to get bombs in the hands of all Americans? Hmmmmm........
Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 PM   #583
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Although I did think the Xbox controller that my friend had that blew air on your hands to be pretty funny.. I think it was Madcatz. It was a piece of crap, but the air thing was an interesting concept.

They're from Nyko. I used to rep those things in Canada. They used to sell pretty decently, but wow, the return rates were huge.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #584
Raiders Army
Coordinator

New policy on ebay:

Quote:
***Listing Policy Clarifications: PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii Pre-Sales, and 'Canned Hunts'***

October 25, 2006 | 08:15AM PST/PT

Here are two listing policy clarifications that we are implementing effective immediately:

Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii Pre-Sales. These highly-anticipated video game consoles will be in extremely short supply during their initial launch. During the launch of the similarly-released Microsoft Xbox 360, we saw a high number of well-intentioned sellers unable to meet their pre-sale obligations to buyers due to restricted supply, as well as an increase in fraudulent listings for these items. To prevent similar problems with these latest releases, the following restrictions have been placed on pre-sales for the PS3 and the Wii:
  • Only one of each console can be listed per eBay account prior to the launch of the console (PS3 is expected to be available on 11/17/06, Wii on 11/19/06).
  • The seller must only accept payment through PayPal, and have at least 50 feedback with a 98% or greater positive rating so that they qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection.
  • The pre-sale item must be listed in the 3, 5, 7 or 10-day formats, and cannot use Buy It Now.
  • The listing must include a photo of your pre-order receipt in the description.

"Canned Hunts" Restriction. After working with the Humane Society of the United States, we have decided that listings for canned hunts that guarantee the killing of an animal violate our Animal & Wildlife Products policy and will not be allowed.

I know y'all care about canned hunts so I included that as well. Anyhow, I've seen one of them go for $1,800 and most in the $1,200-$1,500 range. It's very tempting...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 PM   #585
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Well, they're going for less than $1,200 now...earlier this afternoon they were going for $1,200-$1,500.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #586
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Well, they're going for less than $1,200 now...earlier this afternoon they were going for $1,200-$1,500.

your best bet at selling would be waiting until you have the actual system in hand, then no buyer has any doubts whether they're paying for something you won't even receive. Plus then there are no ebay restrictions.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #587
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I saw my first ps3 commercial tonight. A plastic baby crying and then sucking the tears back up into his/her eyes. I was at a bar, so I'm not sure what was said.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 AM   #588
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Ok, I was pretty much ready to take the plunge and purchase a 360 but now I'm not so sure. Unlike some arguing here I have no real preference between companies I just want the best bang for my buck. This machine will only be used for gaming so the blueray movie player has no impact on my decision though if the game makers take advantage of the higher storage of blueray discs that would be a plus. It only comes down to does the extra money give me a much better gaming machine?

First looking at price. Some have said they see no reason for MS to drop the 360 price. I disagree and I'll tell you why from my viewpoint. I can buy a ps3 (scaled down) for only $100 more than a 360 premium. Both have a 20g hd and I don't need the wifi since my router is only about 8 feet from where my console will be. I will basically use the machine 95% of the time for sports titles and the occasional game like Metal Gear or Call of Duty. So I'm thinking the 20g will be fine for me. Now if MS did do the $100 drop it just might push me towards the 360 since it's now a $200 difference.

Of course after price will be what will the difference be in what the systems deliver in the way of eye candy? PSM mag that just came out has a comparitive screens from Fight Night and the ps3 shots are very noticably better. Granted these guys pimp PS so it is taken with a grain of salt. However with systems due to show up in BB, CC, etc soon I'll be able to see for myself. If seeing the system in person proves the psm shots to be a true representation then the extra $100 would be worth it to me. $200-$300 difference? Not as sure.

Since the initial ps3 price announcement from Sony I have seem myself getting a 360 first and a ps3 when the price drops ending up with both for around $600 (3 year wait?). I have never seen myself getting a ps3 first followed by a 360 which carries the assumption on my part that the ps3 will indeed be a better system, just not sure if it will justify the price difference between the two systems.

The good thing, other than having to be patient for another 6-9 months (?),
is I can now wait to compare the systems. I have the money now to buy my 360 without touching the "family budget", so no reason for the wife to complain. I just don't want to be regretting not spending an extra hundred 6 months from now if the ps3 ends up being a much better machine.

So, I'm back in waiting mode. I won't be preordering or standing in line for the ps3. 360's will always be on the shelf if I decide it's the best way to go.
If it ends up being ps3 then I'll hope they are on the shelf come spring along with a first game of Fight Night or The Show. If not spring then fall and either NBA 2k8 or Madden (depending on reviews).

Either way it's a good market to be shopping in. I could care less which company "wins" the war. I'm just glad there is competition betweent the two
making them push the envelope.

Last edited by Sweed : 10-26-2006 at 09:10 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #589
Raiders Army
Coordinator

LOL. We drove by Toys R Us this morning about 8:30 and saw about 50 people standing in line. It was also pretty cold.

I'll admit, we drove by because we were curious to see how many people would wait outside to pre-order a PS3 or Wii (or maybe the new Tickle-Me Elmo!). So it was just pure gloating. We waited outside of EB Games for less than an hour inside and were the first to pre-order. Thanks again stevew!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #590
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Story on the Gamespot forums:

Quote:
So i went to TRU last night during store closing to begin camp for my ps3 but when i got there,there was already 10 people waiting by the door. No one was sure how many ps3s they had so I decided to camp anyways.As the night went on i kept hearing 7 was the total so I thought fast and called the cops because in my town we have a kerphew law for those under 18 you gotta be indoors before 10pm unless with a parent or whoever not a minor.Cops came and I.D everyone who look young and ended up taking away 5 kids 4 who happen to be ahead of me! So anyways i got my ps3 reserved but was force to get a 999$ bundle but o well im still happy.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #591
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

How neat. Use the power of government force to make sure you get a PS3. And we wonder why things are so fucked up.

I still can't believe Sony is citing "cost" as a reason they won't include HD cables.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-29-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #592
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, and from such a scholar of the english language, too, using the less common "kerphew" spelling

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #593
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Ok, I was pretty much ready to take the plunge and purchase a 360 but now I'm not so sure. Unlike some arguing here I have no real preference between companies I just want the best bang for my buck. This machine will only be used for gaming so the blueray movie player has no impact on my decision though if the game makers take advantage of the higher storage of blueray discs that would be a plus. It only comes down to does the extra money give me a much better gaming machine?

First looking at price. Some have said they see no reason for MS to drop the 360 price. I disagree and I'll tell you why from my viewpoint. I can buy a ps3 (scaled down) for only $100 more than a 360 premium. Both have a 20g hd and I don't need the wifi since my router is only about 8 feet from where my console will be. I will basically use the machine 95% of the time for sports titles and the occasional game like Metal Gear or Call of Duty. So I'm thinking the 20g will be fine for me. Now if MS did do the $100 drop it just might push me towards the 360 since it's now a $200 difference.

Of course after price will be what will the difference be in what the systems deliver in the way of eye candy? PSM mag that just came out has a comparitive screens from Fight Night and the ps3 shots are very noticably better. Granted these guys pimp PS so it is taken with a grain of salt. However with systems due to show up in BB, CC, etc soon I'll be able to see for myself. If seeing the system in person proves the psm shots to be a true representation then the extra $100 would be worth it to me. $200-$300 difference? Not as sure.

Since the initial ps3 price announcement from Sony I have seem myself getting a 360 first and a ps3 when the price drops ending up with both for around $600 (3 year wait?). I have never seen myself getting a ps3 first followed by a 360 which carries the assumption on my part that the ps3 will indeed be a better system, just not sure if it will justify the price difference between the two systems.

The good thing, other than having to be patient for another 6-9 months (?),
is I can now wait to compare the systems. I have the money now to buy my 360 without touching the "family budget", so no reason for the wife to complain. I just don't want to be regretting not spending an extra hundred 6 months from now if the ps3 ends up being a much better machine.

So, I'm back in waiting mode. I won't be preordering or standing in line for the ps3. 360's will always be on the shelf if I decide it's the best way to go.
If it ends up being ps3 then I'll hope they are on the shelf come spring along with a first game of Fight Night or The Show. If not spring then fall and either NBA 2k8 or Madden (depending on reviews).

Either way it's a good market to be shopping in. I could care less which company "wins" the war. I'm just glad there is competition betweent the two
making them push the envelope.

Sweed, without making a case for the 360 or PS3 as being the better machine graphically, I would encourage you to go look at the early videos/screenshots for Madden 06 on the 360, then take a look at what the final product looked like.

EA are notorious for promoting their games with videos/screens that are significantly more impressive than what they actually deliver when the game ships.

Caveat emptor.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #594
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sweed, without making a case for the 360 or PS3 as being the better machine graphically, I would encourage you to go look at the early videos/screenshots for Madden 06 on the 360, then take a look at what the final product looked like.

EA are notorious for promoting their games with videos/screens that are significantly more impressive than what they actually deliver when the game ships.

Caveat emptor.

SA, I appreciate your thoughts. That's a good part of the reason I posted here, there's always good feedback.

I will be visiting my son at the University of Northern Iowa next weekend and taking in a football game. Should have time to run to Waterloo where hopefully Best Buy will have a kiosk up and running and I can see something more than a screenie in a magazine.

I am also assuming that the screen they showed is probably in the 1080p(?) (or whatever they call the best resolution). While I have a HD crt tv to hook up to it doesn't, to my knowledge, support that hookup. So that could also come into play in whatever I do.

The worst the screenie did was delay my decision by about three weeks. I probably would have picked up a 360 this week but will now wait 'til the week of Thanksgiving to make a decision. This will allow me time to hopefully see a ps3 in action and to make sure that MS doesn't come out with a price reduction (though I don't think this will happen).

Again thanks for your input and totally agree with caveot emptor. That's what is actually causing the delay as I want to see for myself before making a decision.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #595
SackAttack
Head Coach

Along those same lines, Sweed, the Xbox 360 kiosks are set up to display the Xbox 360 demos in HD.

If you do find a kiosk, ask one of the BB representatives in the area what it's running on. If the Sony reps have done their job, the representative should have that information, and that'll tell you if what you're seeing is 'normal' HD or 1080p - which in turn tells you whether you can expect what you see on your own HD set, assuming that you like what you see.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #596
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Along those same lines, Sweed, the Xbox 360 kiosks are set up to display the Xbox 360 demos in HD.

If you do find a kiosk, ask one of the BB representatives in the area what it's running on. If the Sony reps have done their job, the representative should have that information, and that'll tell you if what you're seeing is 'normal' HD or 1080p - which in turn tells you whether you can expect what you see on your own HD set, assuming that you like what you see.

Ok, thanks for that info. This is one of those things where I don't mind spending the cash I just want to feel like I made the right choice after I do

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #597
SunDevil
College Prospect

http://heelssoxsteelers.blogspot.com...take-zero.html
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #598
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

These losses are even higher than I expected (from what I remember the Xbox 360 only had about 500 million in losses in the fiscal year of its launch):

PS3 pushing SCE $1.71 billion into red

Sony CEO tells press conference that the game division's fiscal-year losses will be double previous estimates.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot Posted Oct 30, 2006 10:05 am PT

Last week, Microsoft announced its financial results for the quarter ending September 30, 2006. As usual, its game division lost money--a lot of money. For the July-September quarter, the company's Entertainment and Devices division, which makes the Xbox 360, lost $96 million--an improvement over the $173 million the company lost during the same quarter in 2005.

Today, one of Microsoft's rivals in the game arena announced that it too would take a loss on its own game division. Speaking at a press conference in Tokyo, Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer announced that losses at Sony Computer Entertainment are expected to now total 200 billion yen--or around $1.71 billion--for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2007. The figure is nearly twice the shortfall Sony originally projected.

"Considering some of the additional costs of PlayStation 3, we have to generate some excitement and profits from elsewhere in the company to offset the performance of PlayStation 3," Stringer told the Reuters news service.

One reason cited for the increased costs is Sony's decision to drop the price of the lower-end PS3 model in Japan. At last month's Tokyo Game Show, the company announced it would lower the price of the 20GB version of the next-gen console from 60,000 yen (about $515) to 49,980 yen (about $429).

Despite the increased cost, Stringer expressed confidence that the PS3 will be a success. "The point really is that PlayStation 3 is already finished and has been tested in America and has been deemed a creative success," he said. "In the end that is what counts."

The executive also expressed apparent befuddlement about some gamers' anger that the PS3 launch was pushed back to March 2007 in Europe. "I think the idea of worrying about a delay in PlayStation is slightly strange to me," said Stringer. "Every complex technology runs the risk of delays."
Old 10-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #599
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Just when you thought you'd heard it all, Sony's execs pull out some more classics. It's unbelievable how many of their execs say dumb things. There's always one in the bunch in any company, but it's almost as though they plan to come out and say dumb things.

Right now I'm just waiting to hear one of them say the quote below and I'll stop being surprised...

"Has anyone seen my pants?"
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #600
General Mike
Pro Starter

This thread is hilarious.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote