Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #551
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Arlie, any chance of making the new demo so we can play one week into the new season? Training camp is a bit pointless if you can't see any results, and see how your new recruits are looking. It would also give people a chance to experiment with changing positions.
He and I discussed this a bit before he made the demo. The issue was piracy. The game becomes much easier to pirate if he lets it roll into the next season.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #552
MrBug708
Head Coach

Has anyone had an success in getting players to transfer?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #553
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
It is rare, but it can be done. I can't recall exactly how many players actually transfer per year.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #554
Ben E Lou

There are 69 players in the first season's transfer pool. Not sure how many will actually transfer, though.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #555
Ben E Lou

50 total transfers year one...so 1 every 2 to 3 seasons would put the human at around average...and we don't know what we're doing yet, so I'd hope that we are below average for now.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #556
Ben E Lou

I heart these e-mails, by the way:
Quote:
From: ILB Bert Wofford Subject: I'd like to attend Florida Int

Coach Lewis,

I have been a huge Golden Panthers fan my entire life. I grew up in Florida but moved to Kansas before I went to high school. I know I am probably not even on your radar right now, but I would love to visit Florida Int and meet with you and the team.

I am currently playing Inside Linebacker and think I could really help out your team next season. I know you have a limited number of scholarships, but it has been a dream of mine to attend Florida Int since I was a kid. So, I hope you will consider me in your recruiting.

Sincerely,

Bert Wofford

(Click the TakeAction button to add this player to your watch list)
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #557
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I heart these e-mails, by the way:

KLEENEX TIME!!!!!!!!!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #558
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Skydog

how do you like BBCF compare to TCY so far?

do you recommend a buy for BBCF?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:10 PM   #559
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Rudy. Rudy. Rudy! RUDY! RRRRUUUDY! Berty!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #560
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Skydog

how do you like BBCF compare to TCY so far?

do you recommend a buy for BBCF?

You forgot to ask about the AI.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #561
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
Skydog, did you ever test changing positions, and if so how did it turn out?

I'm about to enter recruiting in a few game weeks and the top 2 RB recruits in the country are both blue in interest for coming to notre dame.

I have interest in going after both of them, but I would imagine playing one at FS. Here are the stats of the 2....

#1 RB(A)-- 5-11 180lbs 1,340 yds 5.6 ypc 15 td, 72 tackles 8 sacks
#2 RA(A)-- 5-10 207lbs 2017 yds 5.8 ypc 15 TD, 92 tackles 3 sacks

I have interest in getting RB #1 and starting him from day 1 as I have no depth at the RB position, while #2 would start from day 1 from FS based on his defensive stats and size. Is there anyway of telling him while I'm recruiting him that he would have a chance to start at FS, or would one lose interest as soon as the other commited? B/C if I can only have 1 of the 2, RB #2 looks like the better option to me.

I know I can't advance past this season, but I can imagine what would happen couldn't I?

Since I'm not in the beta, I can only tell you what little I've done on switching. I have moved bigger DE to DT and vis-versa, and you see little change for the most part (some even fittingly improve on their potential). I have not done such a large jump as what you're suggesting, but the game does give you an indicator of what general range the player should end up in.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #562
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Can you see power shifts over the course of a long game? What I mean is, can a conference that starts out as a mid-major, rise to become a great conference? Or even the opposite?

Bumping this question..
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #563
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Since I'm not in the beta, I can only tell you what little I've done on switching. I have moved bigger DE to DT and vis-versa, and you see little change for the most part (some even fittingly improve on their potential). I have not done such a large jump as what you're suggesting, but the game does give you an indicator of what general range the player should end up in.

Yea, I never got the chance to try it. My first time recruiting was a disaster. The first week I didn't give out any visits, and the 2nd week I assigned everyone a recruiting pitch not realizing I would get more feedback the longer I waited after I scouted them. Oh well, live and learn, I landed the #23 class in the nation.

One thing I did notice. I went after a WR that had the (A) designation. When I was recruiting him his potential was listed at 3(I use 1-5), he was a yellow recruit. When I got him in to the team his potential bumped up to 5. Is this common with athletes to see them turn out to be better than thought?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #564
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'll also bump an earlier question I had that went unanswered. Will there be different types of linebackers in the final build? All I seem to see are blitzing linebackers.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:07 AM   #565
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708

LOL, my demo game i brought in 4 transfers...all 4 would have started for me next year..oh what could have been
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #566
Ben E Lou

Has anyone tried playing with a Very Low prestige school? If so, what do your recruiting options look like?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #567
Ben E Lou

Should recruit classes look about like this?

5 4 3 2 1
EXCELLENT 10.00% 40.00% 40.00% 10.00% 0.00%
HIGH 7.50% 37.50% 37.50% 17.50% 0.00%
ABOVE 5.00% 35.00% 35.00% 20.00% 5.00%
AVERAGE 0.00% 20.00% 35.00% 35.00% 10.00%
BELOW AVG 0.00% 5.00% 15.00% 55.00% 25.00%
LOW 0.00% 0.00% 10.00% 45.00% 45.00%
VERY LOW 0.00% 0.00% 5.00% 30.00% 65.00%

EXC 1.6 6.4 6.4 1.6 0
HIGH 1.2 6 6 2.8 0
ABOVE 0.8 5.6 5.6 3.2 0.8
AVERAGE 0 3.2 5.6 5.6 1.6
BELOW 0 0.8 2.4 8.8 4
LOW 0 0 1.6 7.2 7.2
VERY LOW 0 0 0.8 4.8 10.4
Old 12-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #568
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Has anyone tried playing with a Very Low prestige school? If so, what do your recruiting options look like?

I tried Boise State, fairly low prestige. I haven't finished recruiting yet, but the highest interest guy during the season was ranked in the 200-300s or so. We'll see if other factors play a role...my QB was 3rd team All American and a finalist for the Golden Arm, and my TE won the strong hands award. I finished 8-3 with an upset over ranked Fresno State and lost to Michigan by a TD on the road. I don't know how much these extra factors would help me in recruiting, but we'll see. I used the West service, some average recruiting one like recruiting.com.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #569
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
I tried Boise State, fairly low prestige. I haven't finished recruiting yet, but the highest interest guy during the season was ranked in the 200-300s or so. We'll see if other factors play a role...my QB was 3rd team All American and a finalist for the Golden Arm, and my TE won the strong hands award. I finished 8-3 with an upset over ranked Fresno State and lost to Michigan by a TD on the road. I don't know how much these extra factors would help me in recruiting, but we'll see. I used the West service, some average recruiting one like recruiting.com.
Well, I'm specifically curious about teams with "Very Low" prestige and the recruiting stage. I'll say why later.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #570
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Well, I'm specifically curious about teams with "Very Low" prestige and the recruiting stage. I'll say why later.
Yah, never mind. Just checked and they are below average. Oh well.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #571
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Yah, never mind. Just checked and they are below average. Oh well.
Well, I'm ready to talk now. I was being coy about it because I realized that the problem I was perceiving would require a pretty significant 11th-hour change...but I've just been informed that Arlie has agreed to make that change: there were, in my estimation, FARRRRR too few 1-star prospects. Specifically, in my first season as FIU, there were only 5 one-star QB's in the nation. I was trying to set up an option offense at FIU, and it should be very easy to find some kid from Florida or Georgia who runs a 4.55-4.65 and played QB in high school in an option attack. Those kids grow on trees down here. I was worried that it would be no fun to basically have no decisions to make when recruiting in a Very Low prestige program. Hey, I'm fine with those schools having sucky players, but I want to have a choice as to what kind of sucky players I recruit.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #572
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Specifically, in my first season as FIU, there were only 5 one-star QB's in the nation.

For real? How were the rest allocated?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #573
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
For real? How were the rest allocated?
I didn't count the rest. I've checked a few more classes. This varies, but the overall numbers are always way too low. Another class had 20 1-star QB's--still FAR too few-but that class only had 8 1-star WR's. My point to Arlie was that, yeah, my players should suck at that level, but I want to have some meaningful choices in what KIND of crappy players I recruit. That QB class had ZERO one-star QB's in the entire midwest region. There should be TONS of Texas high school QB's who are marginal D1 prospects (thus 1-star) in the pool. There should never be zero from that state...let alone zero from the entire midwest. There were only two in the SE (one from LA, one from FL, neither of whom were of the style i wanted).
Old 12-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #574
HoosFan
n00b

Thank you SkyDog. I have brought up my concerns over this issue in the past, but it seems they weren't shared by those who were more in the know until now. The notion of getting stuck with the very last available player or not having any players at a position in a decent recruiting state like Va, NJ, OH, etc in the latter stages of recruiting takes most of the fun of recruiting away from you. I'm pleased to hear that Arlie will be increasing the numbers in the recruiting pool. If possible (obviously depending on size constraints) there should be dozens of recruits at each position scattered across all regions/states that never make it onto a Div I team each year (with or without a scholarship). At the end of recruiting they should just disappear from the game (ie. go play Div I-AA, II, III or just go to college to get an education?!?)
HoosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #575
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosFan
Thank you SkyDog. I have brought up my concerns over this issue in the past, but it seems they weren't shared by those who were more in the know until now. The notion of getting stuck with the very last available player or not having any players at a position in a decent recruiting state like Va, NJ, OH, etc in the latter stages of recruiting takes most of the fun of recruiting away from you. I'm pleased to hear that Arlie will be increasing the numbers in the recruiting pool. If possible (obviously depending on size constraints) there should be dozens of recruits at each position scattered across all regions/states that never make it onto a Div I team each year (with or without a scholarship). At the end of recruiting they should just disappear from the game (ie. go play Div I-AA, II, III or just go to college to get an education?!?)

Exactly. There should be many more players every year than the number that are signed.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #576
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
One thing I did notice. I went after a WR that had the (A) designation. When I was recruiting him his potential was listed at 3(I use 1-5), he was a yellow recruit. When I got him in to the team his potential bumped up to 5. Is this common with athletes to see them turn out to be better than thought?
Some players will come in much better than anticipated, some will grow into better players and some will bust out over time. It sounds like you found one of the gems.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #577
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How close are you to an updated demo with all the fixes??

I think you're just about at the pinnacle point for a release.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #578
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

..............................[Crickets chirping].
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:06 AM   #579
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'll also bump an earlier question I had that went unanswered. Will there be different types of linebackers in the final build? All I seem to see are blitzing linebackers.
Yes. This was fixed in a build received last night. LB's are now:

Run Stopper
Balanced
Coverage LB
Blitzing LB
Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #580
Ben E Lou

Many new recruits added. Recruiting at lower-tier programs now MUCH more fun....and here's some evidence that the AI might just know what it is doing regarding recruiting. (I'm playing FIU right now):

Quote:

Players committing to Florida Int

TE Howard Offord

Players recruited that committed to other schools

CB Turk Atwater - Texas Christian

FB Elbert Esposito - South Florida

WR Roynell Spragan - South Florida

WR Chesley Beasley - Florida Atlantic

QB Darrin Brubaker - Florida Atlantic

WR Dwight Cullors - Idaho
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #581
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This game sounds like it's shaping up nicely. Thanks for the reports Ben.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 AM   #582
Ben E Lou

More than one kind of 'em...

Quote:
From: ILB Korey Strong Subject: I'd like to attend Florida Int

Coach Lewis,

My dad played football for Florida Int many years back and we both love the school. I now live in Ohio, but still visit with my dad atleast once a year. I know I am probably not even on your radar right now, but I would love to visit Florida Int and meet with you and the team.

I am currently playing Inside Linebacker and think I could really help out your team next season. I know you have a limited number of scholarships, but my dad was a staple at Florida Int a few years back and I'd like to continue the family name there. So, I hope you will consider me in your recruiting.

Sincerely,

Korey Strong

(Click the TakeAction button to add this player to your watch list)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #583
miked
College Starter

I posted this on the GDS forums, but these forums are more populated...

There was somebody complaining about end of game logic, and the AI was calling for punts when the team was down in the final 2 minutes. Looking over the demo, it doesn't appear you can set your end of game logic for 4th downs. It seems as though the AI is pretty content to treat all 4th downs the same no matter the situation, and this will cause major problems. Am I missing something, is there a way to set it? This was a very common problem in TPF, but I believe you could edit the defaults (default was to punt in the final 2 minutes when you were behind).
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #584
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

don't start this. GDS was generous enough giving us a demo to play around with, which is a heckuva lot more than what we've got from other tight-lipped companies. just play the demo and buy the game whenever it's released.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #585
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
don't start this. GDS was generous enough giving us a demo to play around with, which is a heckuva lot more than what we've got from other tight-lipped companies. just play the demo and buy the game whenever it's released.

If Arlie's got the time to get an updated demo out, then why not? I'm not sure how many guys are playing the demo currently with the 3-point XP problem and all the penalty errors.

The more people playing = the more bugs found (or the deeper the bugs found)
Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #586
chinaski
College Prospect

GDS already said they are releasing an updated demo as they get close to gold. If they wanted to use the current demo build to promote the upcoming gold version, i'd think theyd have some twisted business logic.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #587
Anthony
Banned

it's this bullshit that makes Jim not want to give much info on his games. he says once he announces a game then he gets attacked with posts asking for when the game will be released. many people don't like his way of keeping things hush, hush. i certainly don't.

all i need is for Arlie to give a list of what will be fixed once the game is gold. the rest is gravy. and i'm certainly not gonna start this "so...when's the game coming out, the demo has been out for x amount of weeks now?" nonsense. outside of the bugs that this open beta found, i have a very clear idea of what the game will be and play like, i don't need an endless supply of updated demos. i don't want to get too involved with the game as it's presently set up - it's only a season long. this is akin to getting a hand job and the girl stop right when you're getting to the good part. you're left with the "what?....that's all?" face.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #588
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

quit being such a fucking drama queen
Old 12-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #589
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
quit being such a fucking drama queen

quit trying to be like me by quoting Garden State. man, you're such a bad version of me. you're like Tab to my Pepsi. yeesh.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #590
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
quit trying to be like me by quoting Garden State. man, you're such a bad version of me. you're like Tab to my Pepsi. yeesh.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...4&postcount=24
Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #591
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

sov is master of the search function.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #592
KWhit
Coordinator

You guys are funny.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #593
spleen1015
Coordinator

That cracked me up.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #594
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
sov is master of the search function.
Or just has the most pointless memories stored away for future uses.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #595
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I hate to get back on topic but....

Does height play into anything in this game? The reason I'm asking is b/c I have 2 corners with just slightly different skills.

(I have the ratings out of 100 for this game, I'm trying it to see how I like it)

Corner number 1:

5'8 rated 69 currently, higher coverage skills than corner 2

Corner number 2:

6'2 rated 60 currently, lower coverage skills than corner 1

These guys are competeing for the same corner position, 1 will be the nickel back. Would I see any benefit from playing the taller less skilled player?

Another question about height goes to my WR's.

My top 3 WR's are:

1. 6'3 possession WR rated 69/88

2. 5'9 speed guy rated 72/72

3. 6'5 possession guy rated 58/82

Would I see any positive benefit from making WR's 1-3 my flanker and split end and moving number 2 to the slot? Obviously this has to do with height and speed, but I would like to see it answered too.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #596
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Are you kidding me here? I haven't played the demo yet and I sure as hell don't want to play it with all the friggin bugs and updates since it was released.

Nothing like playing a demo and then searching everywhere to see if that bug has been reported/fixed.

Get over your hatred for the way Jim does his business.

Sure I'll play the demo, see the bugs and then rush out to buy the game. Speak for yourself.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #597
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
it's this bullshit that makes Jim not want to give much info on his games. he says once he announces a game then he gets attacked with posts asking for when the game will be released. many people don't like his way of keeping things hush, hush. i certainly don't.

all i need is for Arlie to give a list of what will be fixed once the game is gold. the rest is gravy. and i'm certainly not gonna start this "so...when's the game coming out, the demo has been out for x amount of weeks now?" nonsense. outside of the bugs that this open beta found, i have a very clear idea of what the game will be and play like, i don't need an endless supply of updated demos. i don't want to get too involved with the game as it's presently set up - it's only a season long. this is akin to getting a hand job and the girl stop right when you're getting to the good part. you're left with the "what?....that's all?" face.
My post is attacking Arlie? You're one funny guy. All I wanted to know is if one final demo will be out to mirror the release of the game.

Your sexual comparisons are old and quite boring. (yawn)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-05-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #598
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
Or just has the most pointless memories stored away for future uses.

ding ding ding ding
Old 12-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #599
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

dd,

you're good... damn good....
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #600
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

i ask at grey dog forum, if we can have an updated fix list.

Tim said probably not.
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...76&postcount=2
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote