Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #551
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damm, things looking bleak for England without Rooney.

I'm fine with the US squad, although obviously I hope Ching doesn't see the field. Saw in the paper this morning that Frankie is completely out though with an ACL injury. Sucks for us. I'm not huge on Hejduk, but his loss will hamper Arena's plans no doubt.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #552
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
With all due respect, what has Beasley shown at PSV this season to indicate that he should be in the first XI? Convey is probably the most in-form player of any on the US squad. How can you not play him?

Beasley is the better player overall. Convey may be more "in-form" but that won't vault him over Beasley.

My lineup:

Cherundolo - Onweyu - Bocanegra - Lewis
-------------------------------------
----O'Brien-----Reyna------Beasley
---------------Donovan
---------McBride-------Johnson
Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #553
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

It's now been announced that Steve McClaren will be the new England manager after the world cup, so things are looking bleak for England for World Cup 2010 too
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #554
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
It's now been announced that Steve McClaren will be the new England manager after the world cup, so things are looking bleak for England for World Cup 2010 too

LOL

in my current FM career France won the WC in 2006 and then I took over in 2008 and led them to a 2nd consecutive WC win in 2010
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #555
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't see how McClaren got the job, unless managing a team to a bottom table finish is considered successful. One cup run in a second-tier competition doesn't make a great manager.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #556
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I don't see how McClaren got the job, unless managing a team to a bottom table finish is considered successful. One cup run in a second-tier competition doesn't make a great manager.

Well, in all fairness, he led them to an actual cup (the Carling) two years ago, and to a UEFA spot last year (and a spot, I might add, that he's making the most of). He's not necessarily a world-beater, but he's not as bad as you think. He's brought a lot of talent into the squad, and done a good job of developing younger talents like Downing and Morrison. Remember, Middlebrough was at best a mid-table squad before McLaren came around, and that was in good years.

Plus, Boro have been completely tore up by injury the past two seasons. So let's not hire the Boro physio for England.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-04-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #557
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The problem is that once Scolari turned down the job there really wasn't anyone significantly better in the running. McClaren's done a good job of bringing young players through, he's had a good cup run this year, and he's gotten Boro to annihilate a couple of significantly more talented teams in the league (3-0 against my lot ). That's as much as you can say for any of the other candidates.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #558
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

I'm fine with the US squad, although obviously I hope Ching doesn't see the field. Saw in the paper this morning that Frankie is completely out though with an ACL injury. Sucks for us. I'm not huge on Hejduk, but his loss will hamper Arena's plans no doubt.
Maybe. I didn't much care for what I saw from Hejduk against Jamaica, though... he looked like he had lost a step as he was beaten for speed more than once, and he should have been ejected for a lunging tackle in the first half. Of course, Albright didn't cover himself in glory playing on the left in that game, either.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #559
Critch
lolzcat

McClaren seems to have been in line to be the next England manager since he was assistant manager at Man Utd. I guess the thinking is that being assistant manager at Man Utd is as close as any English manager has got to winning the EPL since Howard Wilkinson won it about 15 years ago.

Last edited by Critch : 05-04-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #560
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Well, in all fairness, he led them to an actual cup (the Carling) two years ago, and to a UEFA spot last year (and a spot, I might add, that he's making the most of). He's not necessarily a world-beater, but he's not as bad as you think. He's brought a lot of talent into the squad, and done a good job of developing younger talents like Downing and Morrison. Remember, Middlebrough was at best a mid-table squad before McLaren came around, and that was in good years.

Plus, Boro have been completely tore up by injury the past two seasons. So let's not hire the Boro physio for England.

Oh come on CR - he's spent god knows how much money (Maccarone, Yakubu, Mendiata, Ehigogu, Southgate ) - those are all over 6 million pound plus signings, on top of Job,Viduka, and lord knows who else. The net result - a team that's mediocre in the premiership, to say the least. The Carling Cup is pretty much the 3rd most important competition and we know the respect which the Arsenal's of the world treat it with. I do give him some credit for developing young talent, but he's been thoroughly mediocre overall.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #561
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Oh come on CR - he's spent god knows how much money (Maccarone, Yakubu, Mendiata, Ehigogu, Southgate ) - those are all over 6 million pound plus signings, on top of Job,Viduka, and lord knows who else. The net result - a team that's mediocre in the premiership, to say the least. The Carling Cup is pretty much the 3rd most important competition and we know the respect which the Arsenal's of the world treat it with. I do give him some credit for developing young talent, but he's been thoroughly mediocre overall.

Well, I'm not saying he's the next Sven.

I'm just saying he's not as bad as he's made it to be. Is he the best choice? No. But the best choices don't seem to be interested in England's job.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 AM   #562
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
I'm just saying he's not as bad as he's made it to be. Is he the best choice? No.

i agree with that. and keep this in mind too, not the best overall but he was the best Englishman for the job
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:30 AM   #563
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

David Beckham, player/manager.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #564
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Beasley is the better player overall. Convey may be more "in-form" but that won't vault him over Beasley.

Yeah, and I remember last time when Jeff Agoos was the "better player" than several defenders on the bench. And that turned out well.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #565
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Yeah, and I remember last time when Jeff Agoos was the "better player" than several defenders on the bench. And that turned out well.

Now you are just being ridiculous. Beasley is the better overall player in all facets over Convey. You are the only person I know that would put Beasley on the bench. It's like saying McBride doesn't seem to have the best form lately for Fulham, so lets have Twellman take his spot.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #566
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
You are the only person I know that would put Beasley on the bench.

Probabaly true.

Quote:
It's like saying McBride doesn't seem to have the best form lately for Fulham, so lets have Twellman take his spot.

But Twellman sucks though.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #567
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Twellman is more "in form" though from all his Friendlies goals.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #568
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like there's going to be a shakeup of the EPL coverage next season, Setanta have announced that they've won the contract to cover about a third of the games in the UK, not sure how that will effect coverage over here.

If they do add EPL to the Setanta channel, along with the extended Scottish soccer coverage, it might finally be worth that $12 a month even if you don't like rugby.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #569
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like there's going to be a shakeup of the EPL coverage next season, Setanta have announced that they've won the contract to cover about a third of the games in the UK, not sure how that will effect coverage over here.

If they do add EPL to the Setanta channel, along with the extended Scottish soccer coverage, it might finally be worth that $12 a month even if you don't like rugby.

Yeah - guess so. I like Fox Soccer, especially because they've been showing a lot of Liverpool games lately.

Now, all we need is for Man U to choke against Charlton, and manage a draw.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #570
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Didn't take them long to get at McClaren

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

The story, in fact, is not particularly offensive but was there ever a newspaper front page more obviously designed to sell a few more crappy copies?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 05-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #571
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The English press have a predictable 'build up, tear down' cycle - always have, unfortunately probably always will ...

As such they're incredibly destructive to various aspects of English society imho - not least sport where they exert as much pressure as possible to heighten unrealistic expectations (seriously if England win the World Cup it'll be as outsiders and an amazing achievement imho) and then should those expectations be failed they rail against the people involved as incompetant ...

(there's a reason why the england managers job has been described as a 'poison challice' fairly frequently ....)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #572
Desnudo
Coordinator

Article on why Ching was selected. Basically disregarding form because a back-up target man to McBride is needed. I didn't realize McBride was 34.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...act/index.html
Old 05-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #573
Desnudo
Coordinator

Fantastic line-up of back-to-back-to back games tomorrow on FSC: Newcastle v. Chelsea, Portsmouth v. Liverpool, and Arsenal v. Wigan. I'd prefer Tottenham or Man U instead of Chelsea, but I read that the Tottenham game isn't even on TV in England, which is silly.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #574
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Only advice Des - don't check the net. All the games on the last day of the season kick off at the same time, so by the time the first game is done on FSC, all the results will be in.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #575
Critch
lolzcat

Hope you didn't spring for the Man Utd v Charlton game on pay-per-view. They just put up all the half time scores from the other games, that would mess up the long day viewing
Old 05-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #576
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can a guy sneak in a little MLS talk into here?

Because of my re-entering into the FM/WSM world, and my kid playing soccer last fall for the first time, my soccer interest has hit an all-time high.

So high in fact that I actually started looking into the MLS for once. SOmething I did a few years ago and haven't since. I thought it might be cool to go see a game. So I go to the MLS site, expecting to look at the Dallas schedule since they would be the closest team to me (at 8 hours away by car).

Boy was I surprised to find out that San Jose moved to Houston. BEAUTIFUL!! I check the schedule, even better. Having to go up to Houston for personal matters anyways, I see there was a game the same weekend. So the wife and daughter and I went to see Houston play Salt Lake a few weeks ago. I freaking loved it. It was a million times more exciting then I ever expected, and I quickly adopted Houston as 'my team.'

I am pretty glad to see Ching get the nod over Twellman for the US WC team. Once I found out he played (and is the all time scoring leader) for Gonzaga University (in my home town) then he shot up as a favorite player for me I guess.

We are planning on going up to Houston again in a couple of weeks to watch them play Chicago. I now start finding myself pissed off the ESPN and such don't show highlights of MLS games. Houston beat FC Dallas last night 4-3, the first ever game between what are natural rivals now.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #577
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- I also find myself pissed Houston is not in WSM/FM.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #578
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Can a guy sneak in a little MLS talk into here?

Because of my re-entering into the FM/WSM world, and my kid playing soccer last fall for the first time, my soccer interest has hit an all-time high.

So high in fact that I actually started looking into the MLS for once. SOmething I did a few years ago and haven't since. I thought it might be cool to go see a game. So I go to the MLS site, expecting to look at the Dallas schedule since they would be the closest team to me (at 8 hours away by car).

Boy was I surprised to find out that San Jose moved to Houston. BEAUTIFUL!! I check the schedule, even better. Having to go up to Houston for personal matters anyways, I see there was a game the same weekend. So the wife and daughter and I went to see Houston play Salt Lake a few weeks ago. I freaking loved it. It was a million times more exciting then I ever expected, and I quickly adopted Houston as 'my team.'

I am pretty glad to see Ching get the nod over Twellman for the US WC team. Once I found out he played (and is the all time scoring leader) for Gonzaga University (in my home town) then he shot up as a favorite player for me I guess.

We are planning on going up to Houston again in a couple of weeks to watch them play Chicago. I now start finding myself pissed off the ESPN and such don't show highlights of MLS games. Houston beat FC Dallas last night 4-3, the first ever game between what are natural rivals now.

If you have $20 to spare (really who does..) and want to see more, check out MLSLIVE.TV
Old 05-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #579
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
If you have $20 to spare (really who does..) and want to see more, check out MLSLIVE.TV

Saw that today.

I will probably get it sometime over the next couple of weeks I think.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #580
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Also if you have a DVR and Cable or Sattelite, look into the Direct Kick package

BTW, I'm over the moon with how the revs did. 4-0 shellacking of the Galaxy.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #581
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Also if you have a DVR and Cable or Sattelite, look into the Direct Kick package

I have DirecTV, so it is a possibility there.

I got home in time to see the second half of the Revs-Galaxy game. I have watched the ESPN 2 game the last two weeks now. It's a shame my tuning in is probably noticed in the ratings though. I think if more people went to watch games live the sport would grow, it certianly made an impression on my family.

Oh, and watch the ESPN 2 game in a couple weeks. It's the Houston Dynamo game. They play is Robertson Stadium (University of Houston), and it's not too bad for soccer. THey are working on getting a soccer stadium in 2-3 years I guess.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #582
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fantastic line-up of back-to-back-to back games tomorrow on FSC: Newcastle v. Chelsea, Portsmouth v. Liverpool, and Arsenal v. Wigan. I'd prefer Tottenham or Man U instead of Chelsea, but I read that the Tottenham game isn't even on TV in England, which is silly.

The Newcastle v. Chelsea match sure was fantastic... if you are a Magpies fan that is . Bramble does something right and we vault over Bolton for the Intertoto Cup! I just hope that some miracle gets worked out to allow Roeder to continue managing the club!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #583
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Tottenham.... WTF?! Way to blow it in spectacular fashion, boys!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #584
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Tottenham.... WTF?! Way to blow it in spectacular fashion, boys!

Well, it didn't help almost the entire team had food poisoning.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #585
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Well, it didn't help almost the entire team had food poisoning.

Police are investigating if they may have been intentionally poisoned. Get ready for Squirt-gate.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So as Arsenal moves to a new facility next year, what is the plan for Highbury?
Tearing it down? Renovating for some other use? Something else?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #587
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

Article here:

hxxp://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1769824,00.html

Sample:

Quote:
And the pitch itself? When award-winning groundsman Paul Burgess rumbles off with his fleet of mowers and rollers to his new Eden, just 500 yards down the road, in will come landscape architect Christopher Bradley-Hole, a gold medal winner at Chelsea - the flower show, not the football club. His garden will be calm and well-proportioned he says, and will combine the feeling of European spaces with English tradition (Arsene Wenger might approve). It's not known yet whether ball games will be allowed.

and:

Quote:
During the war, it was used as an air raid protection centre, but still took a heavy pounding. As did Henry Cooper in that fight. There's been cricket, and baseball, possibly a dead horse (under the North Bank), definitely a live squirrel.

and finally:

Quote:
Roger Daltrey sings another song, a new one about Highbury, Henry gets his golden boot, fireworks are fired, red and white ticker tape streams down, and then it's time to go. The carnival continues outside but suddenly Highbury is an empty place, echoing with memories and waiting for the diggers to come.

England also tries to adorn sporting events with ageing rockers too

Last edited by Mac Howard : 05-07-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #588
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

Apartments based round the existing stands, with a common park where the pitch was. They were stuck with using the fronts of the stands as they are historically listed buildings so can't be demolished. Pretty interesting looking.

http://www.thestadium-highbury.com/stadium_main.htm

Last edited by Critch : 05-07-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Whoosh.

That's the sound of that website (which I had seen briefly earlier before asking my question here) going way over my head. I didn't look at it closely enough & thought those were just in the neighborhood instead of integrating the stadium.

Okay, seems like a cool enough use of the property I suppose. It would have seemed kinda sad to have the old building just disappear or something, not to mention wasteful.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #590
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Funny. I thought of you when I saw that score yesterday.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #591
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Starting at about $600K US?! wow!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #592
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Apartments based round the existing stands, with a common park where the pitch was. They were stuck with using the fronts of the stands as they are historically listed buildings so can't be demolished. Pretty interesting looking.

http://www.thestadium-highbury.com/stadium_main.htm

I just get a blank page - or am I missing the irony here
Old 05-07-2006, 11:57 PM   #593
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Do you have Flash disabled?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #594
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Possibly, I'm not sure. I suspect it's my combination of Firefox and ZoneAlarm that causes the problem but I did wonder if it could have been someone making an anti-Arsenal comment
Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #595
Dunleavy
High School JV

WOW, any fellow Arsenal fans here, WOW WOW WOW, what a final game. i went to the semi-final vs Villereal but i'm still jealous of every one of the 39k at the final game at highbury. what a day what a day, won't even try and describe it, i'll i have to say is...

thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger
Old 05-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #596
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy
WOW, any fellow Arsenal fans here, WOW WOW WOW, what a final game. i went to the semi-final vs Villereal but i'm still jealous of every one of the 39k at the final game at highbury. what a day what a day, won't even try and describe it, i'll i have to say is...

thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry thierry henry and arsene wenger

Avoids the row that would occurred had Spurs won and Arsenal gone on to win the CL Final
Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #597
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Those of you overseas won't get this, but for us American footy fans, I was wondering if anyone had seen the new Gatorade commercial for our WC team?

I think it's fantastic. Kinda gives you the "us against the world" theme that has been prevalent in other news areas for several years now. And the baseball tune--our "national pasttime"--as the music is perfect.

Go USA!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #598
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
The Newcastle v. Chelsea match sure was fantastic... if you are a Magpies fan that is . Bramble does something right and we vault over Bolton for the Intertoto Cup! I just hope that some miracle gets worked out to allow Roeder to continue managing the club!

Actually I found the game tedious except for Bramble's brilliant goal. Although watching Robben flop around like a fish is fun, it becomes repetitive. With the level of talent they have, I find it embarrassing that Chelsea resorts to that kind of play, as well as bullying the ref. I think it reflects negatively on the manager.

The Arsenal-Wigan game was fantastic to watch although I only saw the first half. Just two teams that play fun soccer. The level of noise on the TV was unbelievable, hard to make out the announcer at times.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #599
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Those of you overseas won't get this, but for us American footy fans, I was wondering if anyone had seen the new Gatorade commercial for our WC team?

I think it's fantastic. Kinda gives you the "us against the world" theme that has been prevalent in other news areas for several years now. And the baseball tune--our "national pasttime"--as the music is perfect.

Go USA!

yes, i liked those commerical as has everyone else who's mentioned them. such a tough group, can we advance? a lot to depend on the first game.

also like the Nike Joga commerical. i like them all but for some reason (arsenal fan) i liked the Ronney one the best (good music and funny to see keeper match Rooney
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #600
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
The Arsenal-Wigan game was fantastic to watch although I only saw the first half. Just two teams that play fun soccer. The level of noise on the TV was unbelievable, hard to make out the announcer at times.

the second half was even better (especially if you understood the significance of the day)