Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #551
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
try leading off with right analog stick.. you can take up to 3 steps. that helps out but watch out for the pickoff.

Thanks, but what I was saying was that I didn't have any baserunners to do any running. I couldn't hit the New York pitching.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #552
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm going to try not to get upset, but can SOMEONE explain to me how to leadoff and then steal bases using the keyboard?? I asked before and didn't get an answer and now that I have a team with Alex Sanchez and Carl Crawford up top I feel this would be a huge help! Key is really the leading off, I know I can steal using the "advance all" button but without getting a bit more of a leadoff I get caught too often.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #553
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i'm going to try not to get upset, but can SOMEONE explain to me how to leadoff and then steal bases using the keyboard?? I asked before and didn't get an answer and now that I have a team with Alex Sanchez and Carl Crawford up top I feel this would be a huge help! Key is really the leading off, I know I can steal using the "advance all" button but without getting a bit more of a leadoff I get caught too often.

check the manual.

i dont have it with me, or i wil show you how here.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:59 PM   #554
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the manuel is no help. it's a POS
Old 03-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #555
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think many of the main contributors to this thread are playing on Xbox. As a result, quite a few of us don't know how to lead off with the keyboard. That is my guess on why you haven't received an answer yet. Sorry, I can't be more help.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-20-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #556
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaaah. fair enough. I can't figure out the solution to what on the keyboard approximates the D-Pad. and the manuel is no help. which is taking a big chunk out of my ability to play effectively.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #557
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
aaaah. fair enough. I can't figure out the solution to what on the keyboard approximates the D-Pad. and the manuel is no help. which is taking a big chunk out of my ability to play effectively.

ok i am home.. look like the manual for leadoff for keyboard it says N/A.

so try to go in the game and do the configration for keyboard and you can assign what keys you want.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #558
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaaah. i wonder if that will work. i thought i had checked that but i will check again jb.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #559
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok, I must be the world's worst basestealer. I'm 1 for 10 with Coco Crisp and this includes four or five attemps with using the leadoff button. Any tricks I should know, or is Coco just not that good?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #560
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Ok, I must be the world's worst basestealer. I'm 1 for 10 with Coco Crisp and this includes four or five attemps with using the leadoff button. Any tricks I should know, or is Coco just not that good?

what his baserunning speed rating.?

also it depends on the catcher strength in throwing guys out form stealing.

post those here to see.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #561
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
what his baserunning speed rating.?

also it depends on the catcher strength in throwing guys out form stealing.

post those here to see.

He's an 85 for speed and (I think) an 85 for baserunning aggressiveness. I've been thrown out by guys like I-Rod (makes sense) but also by guys like Sandy Alomar (75/80 if I remember correctly) and John Buck (75/75 I think). It seems like somebody's grandma could gun down Coco and he's the fastest guy on the Tribe roster.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #562
jbmagic
Pro Starter

hmm that strange.

when you leadoff, do you take 3 steps ahead?

and when you steal the base , do you use the right analog / \ down to do a hook slide to left and right of the bag when you get close to the base?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #563
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
hmm that strange.

when you leadoff, do you take 3 steps ahead?

and when you steal the base , do you use the right analog / \ down to do a hook slide to left and right of the bag when you get close to the base?

When I lead off, I hit up twice on the right stick, then hit the up arrow on the D-pad. I usually just slide head first or feet first, I don't mess with left or right.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #564
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
try leading off with right analog stick.. you can take up to 3 steps. that helps out but watch out for the pickoff.

Actually, it's only two steps.

The Mets are tough, very tough. I hate playing them. Damn Beltran always takes me yard. Time for a series up in Atlanta to take on the Braves. Mulder gets the start in what is hopefully a 3 game winning streak for us. We dropped the first game against the Brewers, but took the next two.. the last game a walkoff 3 run HR to win the game 4-3.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #565
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Check gamefaqs.com

Todd
Old 03-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #566
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just stole 5 bases total on the Brewers rookie catcher. His arm strength was 55. Cedeno was all over him as well as Eckstein.

Todd
Old 03-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #567
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I lead off, I hit up twice on the right stick, then hit the up arrow on the D-pad. I usually just slide head first or feet first, I don't mess with left or right.

On close plays, the left or right slide can really help. I've slid around a few tags that way. However, I usually don't have great success with any of my guys that are under 90 unless the catcher has a fairly weak arm. I usually don't have great success stealing with anyone besides Rollins (96 speed I think) unless the catcher's arm strength is 70 or under or his accuracy is 70 or under. Either one being low can help me to steal quite a bit.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #568
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

In a game against, Piazza (40/40) I stole 2nd and 3rd with Rollins and Abreu.... twice in one game.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #569
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
On close plays, the left or right slide can really help. I've slid around a few tags that way. However, I usually don't have great success with any of my guys that are under 90 unless the catcher has a fairly weak arm. I usually don't have great success stealing with anyone besides Rollins (96 speed I think) unless the catcher's arm strength is 70 or under or his accuracy is 70 or under. Either one being low can help me to steal quite a bit.

The thing that bugs me is I stole a clean base with Jody Gerut, who has a 68 speed rating, but I keep getting thrown out with Crisp and his 85 rating.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #570
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Remember, there are a lot of variables working here:

1. Speed of the runner
2. Arm strength of the catcher
3. Lean (two pushes up is as far as you can go)
4. Hitting up on the D-pad prior to the pitch
5. Pitch type
6. Pitch speed
7. Stealing ability of the runner (yes, there is a rating for this)
8. Fielding ability of the catcher
9. Fielding ability of the infielder (although very minute.. I would think)

Finding the right time to steal is an art and takes some practice.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-20-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:01 AM   #571
jbmagic
Pro Starter

samifan24

try this for the slider

User running Steal Delay -5

you should get better realistic steals.

Let me know how he does with that.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #572
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Does it seem to anyone else that the CPU team's baserunners get better jumps on steal attempts than the human baserunners? Is there any way I can force my guy to take off sooner? Probably not, huh?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #573
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Play against Wakefield and you should see be able to steal. I stole 5 or 6 bags the other night. His fastball tops out at like 79 and the knuckler is about 58-60.
Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #574
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I think steals are fine. Particularly, with the +5 base runner speed setting that I've been using, along with the other sliders that Todd has posted in this thread.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #575
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Does it seem to anyone else that the CPU team's baserunners get better jumps on steal attempts than the human baserunners? Is there any way I can force my guy to take off sooner? Probably not, huh?

i just posted this above your post.

User running Steal Delay -5 that will give you a better jump
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #576
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just had a 3-0 win over the Washington Nationals on Opening Day, 2006. Stole four bases (without tinkering with my sliders), which was awesome. I was thunderstruck to see Joe Thurston down in AAA with speed of 85 and baserunning ability of '0'. Yeah, I think he's staying down there for a while.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #577
samifan24
Pro Starter

Has anyone else seen pitchers whose statistics are outrageous? I was playing a AA game the other day and there was a pitcher with something like 30 IP and 150 hits allowed. I saw it again the other day in the majors. Both times these numbers appeared on the in-game graphic when they entered the game and I forgot to check in the actual roster screens to see if the numbers were there, too. Anybody else seen this?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #578
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Has anyone else seen pitchers whose statistics are outrageous? I was playing a AA game the other day and there was a pitcher with something like 30 IP and 150 hits allowed. I saw it again the other day in the majors. Both times these numbers appeared on the in-game graphic when they entered the game and I forgot to check in the actual roster screens to see if the numbers were there, too. Anybody else seen this?

Was his name Chan Ho Park?

Haven't seen anything like it, but I vaguely remember some times in last years game when stats would be different on-screen than they were in actuality. Or I could be completely making that up in my mind.

Not much help was I?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #579
jbmagic
Pro Starter

my dual analog gamepad dont have vibration on.

what does it do for pitching and for hitting when its on?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #580
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
my dual analog gamepad dont have vibration on.

what does it do for pitching and for hitting when its on?

For hitting, little of real interest. It lets you know when a player slides, or when you've made contact with the ball.

For pitchers, the vibration tells you when you're about to cross the boundaries of the strike zone.

Gonna be an interesting April/May of 2006 for my Dodgers. Odalis Perez got his leg broke by a line drive just two innings into the season, which means the immortal Brandon Claussen will be filling a rotation spot for me.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #581
jbmagic
Pro Starter

it must be hard to pitch with strike zone off, hot.cold zone hot, pitch cursor off and no vibration.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #582
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
it must be hard to pitch with strike zone off, hot.cold zone hot, pitch cursor off and no vibration.
It is. I like it that way.

My Cardinals are dying for a shortstop, as we lost David Eckstein and Bo Hart for the season. I tried Hector Luna there for a couple of games, but his weak arm was hurting us. I traded Julian Tavarez for a minor-league SS. The minor leaguer will play in Memphis for a few weeks. I brought up Abraham Nunez to play SS in the meantime. Now the only speed I have in my regular lineup is Reggie Sanders (!). I miss Eckstein.

Two other things I love about this game: it seems like anybody can hit a homer at any time. In other baseball games I've played, it seemed near impossible for somebody like Yadier Molina to hit a home run. Sure, if you simmed a season, he'd probably hit 5-10, but it didn't ever seem possible to hit one if you were actually controlling somebody like that. That's not the case in this game. I nearly hit one to the opposite field with Mark Grudzielanek last night, and he's certainly not a power hitter. It's great to have those games where the least likely guys just light it up. Another thing I love is the dirt on the player's uniforms. I haven't watched very closely, but it seems like the guys are getting dirty in the right spots. If I have a guy slide headfirst, it seems like the next inning, he has dirt on his chest and knees. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems true. That's good enough for me!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #583
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
It is. I like it that way.

My Cardinals are dying for a shortstop, as we lost David Eckstein and Bo Hart for the season. I tried Hector Luna there for a couple of games, but his weak arm was hurting us. I traded Julian Tavarez for a minor-league SS. The minor leaguer will play in Memphis for a few weeks. I brought up Abraham Nunez to play SS in the meantime. Now the only speed I have in my regular lineup is Reggie Sanders (!). I miss Eckstein.

Two other things I love about this game: it seems like anybody can hit a homer at any time. In other baseball games I've played, it seemed near impossible for somebody like Yadier Molina to hit a home run. Sure, if you simmed a season, he'd probably hit 5-10, but it didn't ever seem possible to hit one if you were actually controlling somebody like that. That's not the case in this game. I nearly hit one to the opposite field with Mark Grudzielanek last night, and he's certainly not a power hitter. It's great to have those games where the least likely guys just light it up. Another thing I love is the dirt on the player's uniforms. I haven't watched very closely, but it seems like the guys are getting dirty in the right spots. If I have a guy slide headfirst, it seems like the next inning, he has dirt on his chest and knees. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems true. That's good enough for me!

Wow, that stinks Pumpy.. but it's fun to see you're trying to fill the void.

I play Bo Hart at short when Eckstein needs a rest and you can definitly tell the arm strengh difference.

I love the dirty uniforms and they do happen when they should. Have someone slide into a base, next at bat their uniform is dirty. Lets you know who's been playing hard or not.

Todd
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #584
jbmagic
Pro Starter

MizzouRah

you playing it with no strike zone, no hot/cold zone and cursor on fade?

with that setup, is there a big difference if you have vibration on than having it off when pitching and hitting?

my dual analog gamepad dont have vibration.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #585
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MizzouRah

you playing it with no strike zone, no hot/cold zone and cursor on fade?

with that setup, is there a big difference if you have vibration on than having it off when pitching and hitting?

my dual analog gamepad dont have vibration.

Yes, and the behind the pitcher view. I think with vibration on, pitching is way too easy. I don't think it matters when hitting. You're not missing out on anything.

Todd
Old 03-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #586
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yes, and the behind the pitcher view. I think with vibration on, pitching is way too easy. I don't think it matters when hitting. You're not missing out on anything.

Todd

Do you use behind the pitcher when hitting, too? or just when pitching? If both, why? I've never been able to play a baseball game without the camera behind the catcher at one angle or another.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #587
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Do you use behind the pitcher when hitting, too? or just when pitching? If both, why? I've never been able to play a baseball game without the camera behind the catcher at one angle or another.

I'm almost certain that Todd and I only use the behind the pitcher when pitching. I started doing it when I was using a cursor to make it more challenging. Now, even with the switch to no cursor, I just like the view. I use the batter's eye camera for hitting as the behind the back pitcher camera would be too hard.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 AM   #588
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Correct, I use the 6/4 view. Meaning, btp for pitching and the "center" view for hitting. I couldn't see how anyone could use the btp when batting.

I'm back to .500! 3-1 to start the month of May.

Todd
Old 03-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #589
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm almost certain that Todd and I only use the behind the pitcher when pitching. I started doing it when I was using a cursor to make it more challenging. Now, even with the switch to no cursor, I just like the view. I use the batter's eye camera for hitting as the behind the back pitcher camera would be too hard.

I can't use the pitching view from behind the pitcher, I think it's way too small. I'm hitting the ball well and have won 6 of my last 7, but my pitching is just mediocre so I'm not ready to set some house rules just yet.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #590
TRO
College Prospect

6/4 view here too. With the 4 batting view, you have more time to decide what to swing at and picking up pitches with batter's eye is possible but much more difficult.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #591
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't use the pitching view from behind the pitcher, I think it's way too small. I'm hitting the ball well and have won 6 of my last 7, but my pitching is just mediocre so I'm not ready to set some house rules just yet.

That is how I did it too. I only switched to the behind the pitcher view when I realized I was holding every team to one or two runs max. Eventually, I realized even with the behind the pitcher view, I was pitching too well. Now, I have the perfect balance for my ability level with no cursor on. It's nice that there are these options to change as we "master" the game.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #592
sooner333
College Starter

I tried using the 6/4, but switched back to 6/1, as at my stadium, it was too hard to pick up the ball as the release point was in a white area at the 6/4 view, but in the green plants in the 6/1 view.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #593
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow

we all know there a manage play with no graphic and we can make decisions has we play.

but just notice you can take over and play the game at any inning if you want.

so for example you can manage to 6 innings, making all the decisions, etc and then swithc over to play mode and finsih the game out by playing.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #594
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
wow

we all know there a manage play with no graphic and we can make decisions has we play.

but just notice you can take over and play the game at any inning if you want.

so for example you can manage to 6 innings, making all the decisions, etc and then swithc over to play mode and finsih the game out by playing.

Where have you been?

Todd
Old 03-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #595
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is how I did it too. I only switched to the behind the pitcher view when I realized I was holding every team to one or two runs max. Eventually, I realized even with the behind the pitcher view, I was pitching too well. Now, I have the perfect balance for my ability level with no cursor on. It's nice that there are these options to change as we "master" the game.

I can't even imagine being good enough to turn the cursor off. I could easily part ways with the hot/cold zones, but there's no way I could throw from behind the pitcher view with the whole cursor off!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #596
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't even imagine being good enough to turn the cursor off. I could easily part ways with the hot/cold zones, but there's no way I could throw from behind the pitcher view with the whole cursor off!

Me either. I don't want to meet EF online.

Todd
Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #597
Galaril
Pro Starter

I finally got this . Great game but I had a questio for anyone who got it for the pc. How do you get you're batters to move in the box? And is anyone using the wingman 2 rumblepad. It doesn't seem to be configuring right.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #598
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

i agree.

do you play with strike zone off and hot/cold off?

do you have cursor on fade or on?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #599
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I finally got this . Great game but I had a questio for anyone who got it for the pc. How do you get you're batters to move in the box? And is anyone using the wingman 2 rumblepad. It doesn't seem to be configuring right.

i am a pc owner too.

in the Manual page 2

to move batter in the batter's box.
its button 7+left analog stick left or right

look at picture on page 1 to know what the button are.

i dont have your gamepad, but go in the game and you can do a configration and assign the keys the way you want.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 PM   #600
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah, I saw that stuff in the manual and configured my controller but for some reason I can't move the batter around at all.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote