Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #551
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Better period for the Ducks. Had better control. Also hit a post. But I still don't really like the quality of their scoring chances.

The Wings didn't have many either, but there were a handful. That last by Ericsson was scary.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #552
DeToxRox
Head Coach

These are the games where Detroit dominates OT and then Anaheim scores a fluke goal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #553
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And there it is. Not a flukey goal but a bad goal to be giving up. Fun game to watch, already pumped for Tuesday.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #554
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

You'll probably be able to find me in the Ping: Drunk Guy thread later
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #555
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awesome! Love me some Marchant. There's a true hockey player. Great guy to have this happen for.

You knew at some point a goal like that would happen. Just too many shots on goal for everything to be stopped.

It was a fun game, and Tuesday, the Honda Center's going to be rocking. Definitely looking forward to that one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #556
samifan24
Pro Starter

Carolina has completely outworked Boston through two periods. I have to say that I really thought that Larose scored that goal with 0.2 left in the second period but I guess they didn't think the replay was conclusive enough to overturn the on-ice ruling of no goal.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #557
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It looked pretty conclusive on the replay they had on Versus but I guess the refs didn't see that one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #558
RendeR
Coordinator

Boston is a damned good team, but frankly in this game they're getting away with rape on the ice. They are dragging people to the ice, tripping and throwing elbows and NOTHING is getting called.

Serious kudos to Carolina for handling all that and STILL leading 2-0.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #559
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #560
samifan24
Pro Starter

Carolina deserved that win. Cam Ward was unbelievable and Eric Staal won the battle with Chara. It seemed like the Bruins were just standing around too much in the first two periods and didn't even really get going until the third period. What a frustrating game to watch.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #561
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Carolina deserved that win. Cam Ward was unbelievable and Eric Staal won the battle with Chara. It seemed like the Bruins were just standing around too much in the first two periods and didn't even really get going until the third period. What a frustrating game to watch.

Hm. I didn't really think Staal actually seemed to win any battles with Chara (and Chara rode him down pretty good several times). However, Cole and even LaRose seemed particularly fearless going in against him. They didn't really beat him up or anything, but they didn't let him get comfortable, either.

It is amazing what having excellent goaltending can do for you. This is not a 3-0 game if Ward isn't as sharp as he was, especially during the first period when Carolina continued to have problems with the Boston forecheck and once again struggled with any accuracy on their passes.

Also, Babchuck and Corvo are getting the time and space to release those big shots of theirs from the points unlike the New Jersey series where they both were hard-pressed by the New Jersey defenders and more often than not passed up any chances.

Feels good (and somewhat surprising after how Friday went) to get back to Raleigh with a split, but I don't make any bones that Boston still has been the better team over the two games so far. Ward and some good breaks got them out of there with the win tonight.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #562
samifan24
Pro Starter

Well Staal didn't score until he hit an empty netter but I felt that he was much more visible despite Chara's presence tonight than in game one.

What drove me particularly crazy was the Bruins' insistence on making D to D passes in the offensive zone right in front of the blueline with a Carolina player up high right between them. Those passes never work and yet time and time again I saw the Bruins make those passes, especially Wideman.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #563
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

That was another great pass by Crosby...right on his stick.

PS - Mario would've buried it.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-04-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #564
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nothing about the game? Ovechkin with 2 third period goals. This game has just been sick

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-04-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #565
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Best player in the world takes over.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #566
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Best player in the world takes over.

Ahem 2nd. But yes.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #567
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Not over yet, I guess. Tho the keeper interference...

SI

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #568
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wow...2 Hat Tricks in one game.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #569
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And that's it. Man, that was a fun game, tho. It's really fun watching skilled offensive teams go back and forth. That's what hockey should look like

SI

Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #570
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wow. Not over yet, I guess. Tho the keeper interference...

SI

Between Kunitz crosscheck to Varlamov's head, and Cooke getting clipped on the Caps PP, interference should not be called the rest of this series.

Actually, the one interference call that was made, on Jurcina, was because it was against Crosby. Turning into the NBA, only stars gets the calls.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #571
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

There were a lot of weak calls...especially early...that went against both teams. The Pens need someone other than Crosby to show up here.

Where has Geno been?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #572
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The two best players in the world just both scored hat tricks in a one-goal playoff game.

Please shut up about the refereeing for one night.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #573
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The two best players in the world just both scored hat tricks in a one-goal playoff game.

Malkin didn't score today.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #574
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
There were a lot of weak calls...especially early...that went against both teams. The Pens need someone other than Crosby to show up here.

Where has Geno been?

And Fleury. I get it's Ovechkin, and on the first one, he had to come all the way across.

But the other 2 are from 40+ feet, and he's unscreened.

I thought the Kunitz crosscheck call in the 2nd was horrendous. Ovechkin grabbed his face, sees he's getting the call, then starts skating again. If that's the call, then call high sticking.

Orpik had the same thing happen in the 3rd (the play prior to Semin having the 2 on 1) he grabbed his face. But he's not 8, 87 or 71, so it's not getting called.

I did love Boudreau's comment when they went to him coming back from commercial- "This looks to be a special teams game..." "Yeah, if we keep playing stupid!"
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #575
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

BOB ERREY SOUNDBOARD
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #576
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That was a pretty enjoyable game. Bother Ovechkin and Crosby are really on top of their games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #577
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

+1

I love that Crosby and Ovechkin are going back-and-forth, it's like a heavy weight fight. It's doubly impressive because it's been hyped like crazy and is still actually living up to it (through 2 games).

Penguins are getting killed by Malkin so far. He has looked totally average and has cost them big time in each game (the goal in game one where he didn't back check hard and yesterday with the lazy penalty that lead to the Ovie go-ahead PP goal). He's been floating a lot and losing battles all over the place. And didn't he do this last year in the playoffs as well?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-05-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #578
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Penguins are getting killed by Malkin so far. He has looked totally average and has cost them big time in each game (the goal in game one where he didn't back check hard and yesterday with the lazy penalty that lead to the Ovie go-ahead PP goal). He's been floating a lot and losing battles all over the place. And didn't he do this last year in the playoffs as well?

He did. Malkin was in fog during the last round or so of last year's playoffs. If I recall, he was playing pretty well until Mike Richards hit him and after that his play completely tanked. He started to come around a bit at the very end of the Finals, but for the most part he was really playing poorly. Not sure if he's injured again or this will become a chronic problem with the guy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #579
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The Caps may have done well at home, but they're in for a battle tomorrow night in New Jersey.

Oh.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #580
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He did. Malkin was in fog during the last round or so of last year's playoffs. If I recall, he was playing pretty well until Mike Richards hit him and after that his play completely tanked. He started to come around a bit at the very end of the Finals, but for the most part he was really playing poorly. Not sure if he's injured again or this will become a chronic problem with the guy.

Yep, he was hurt on that Richards hit. He scored, I think, 1 goal after that-- which happened to occur about 15 seconds after the hit.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #581
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yep, he was hurt on that Richards hit. He scored, I think, 1 goal after that-- which happened to occur about 15 seconds after the hit.

I'm interested to hear his excuse for pooping the bed so far this series (I didn't watch any of the Pens/Flyers series, and he had a bunch of points, so I assume he was playing ok until meeting the Caps). He needs to step it up or he'll cost his team the series.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-05-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Caps, not Flyers. Doh.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #582
Galaxy
Coordinator

WOW.....

Didn't the whistle go after that cross the net?

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-06-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #583
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You have GOT to be f*cking kidding me!!!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #584
Galaxy
Coordinator

I thought you could review when the whistle was blown.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #585
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I don't usually bitch about refs but that's fucking brutal.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #586
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I thought you could review when the whistle was blown.

No. You can't. The rule is about when the ref intended to blow the whistle, which, by definition, cannot be reviewed. As soon as he started to move the whistle to his lips the play is essentially dead.

A tough break. The Wings played much better in the third. It's going to be very difficult to rebound after what happened on Sunday and what just happened, but the Wings have to do it. So long as they win the next game, they are still in decent shape.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #587
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, that sucks. I'd much rather win or lose the game honestly than that.

Galaxy - I don't think that rule exists. It's basically whether the ref blows it dead or calls it a goal. It would be interesting to see if there was a completely ridiculous one (puck in the net a couple of seconds before the ref blows it dead) if there was any recourse. I think there is an intent rule that means even in that situation, the refs call would stand.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #588
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That was one of the suckiest wins I have ever "enjoyed". Sorry, Wings fans, your boys deserved that one. Only guy who deserved it on the Ducks is Hiller.

Speaking of the whistle, the Ducks announcers were saying (while acknowledging the whistle comes after the puck crosses the line) that the intent alone (to blow the whistle) is all that is needed to stop the play. How one determines that, your guess is as good as mine, but I guess the ref would know (since that's the source of the intent).

Man, I'm pissed at the way the Ducks played in the third period. Yeah, yeah, take the win, Chief. Screw that. It will be Wings three straight for the series win going forward if the Ducks show up with this same effort again.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #589
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I don't usually bitch about refs but that's fucking brutal.

Me either, but when it's tough not to when it was such a bad call and there is no doubt at all that, but for that call, the game would have been tied. A tough, bitter pill to swallow.

Refs lose sight of the puck all the time and blow the whistle too early, but really unfortunate here.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #590
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Speaking of the whistle, the Ducks announcers were saying (while acknowledging the whistle comes after the puck crosses the line) that the intent alone (to blow the whistle) is all that is needed to stop the play. How one determines that, your guess is as good as mine, but I guess the ref would know (since that's the source of the intent).

A dumb rule that they need to fix.

I really don't see why he even tried to blow it. It wasn't like the puck got caught in Hiller's gear or was covered. It went behind him and slid across.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #591
bhlloy
Coordinator

The ref looked pretty sick afterwards. They should put him on suicide watch after the game when he sees the replay.

I don't know how you make that rule any better. Is it any surprise refs occasionally lose sight of the puck in there? The NHL has completely taken common sense out of the equation (as usual) and the ref has no choice. Maybe you can make it reviewable when the puck crosses the line vs. the whistle and that will get rid of some of the worst cases, but teams are still going to get screwed.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #592
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What I want to know is, WTF was Niedermayer doing? Good Gawd, you would think he had never been in the playoffs before!

And then at the start of that final 1:26, Marchant wins the draw clean, a Ducks player (missed who) goes back to get it, and he sends it along the ice to a Wing alone on the boards on the far side. W...T...H... welcome to hockey 101, dumbass, get the damn puck out of the zone, and don't pass the fucking thing to the enemy!

Grrr, I swear I have never been this pissed after a win in my life.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #593
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
A dumb rule that they need to fix.

I really don't see why he even tried to blow it. It wasn't like the puck got caught in Hiller's gear or was covered. It went behind him and slid across.

He was on the other side of the net, Hiller is on the ground and he can't see the puck. He called it according to the book. Assuming he wasn't just trying to screw the Red Wings of course... it's a dumb rule and it's another thing Bettman has fucked up.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #594
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The ref looked pretty sick afterwards. They should put him on suicide watch after the game when he sees the replay.

I don't know how you make that rule any better. Is it any surprise refs occasionally lose sight of the puck in there? The NHL has completely taken common sense out of the equation (as usual) and the ref has no choice. Maybe you can make it reviewable when the puck crosses the line vs. the whistle and that will get rid of some of the worst cases, but teams are still going to get screwed.

I just hate the "intent" part of the rule. I think it should be when the whistle is blown.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #595
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What I want to know is, WTF was Niedermayer doing? Good Gawd, you would think he had never been in the playoffs before!

And then at the start of that final 1:26, Marchant wins the draw clean, a Ducks player (missed who) goes back to get it, and he sends it along the ice to a Wing alone on the boards on the far side. W...T...H... welcome to hockey 101, dumbass, get the damn puck out of the zone, and don't pass the fucking thing to the enemy!

Grrr, I swear I have never been this pissed after a win in my life.

We were screaming at the TV in my household. It was Getzlaf who didn't clear the zone the first time, I think Pronger might have had a shot at it and weakly put it up the boards and then Niedermayer... holy crap. That's the 2 A's and the C right there doing their best to give the game away.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #596
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hiller played great, though Anaheim is being badly outshot, there are not a lot of great chances. I think Babcock has to switch it up for Game 4 though. I'd really consider putting Dats and Zetterberg together at times to get Dats rolling. He's played a lot better but it's not showing up on the stats sheet, and those two are usually dynamite.

Ugh as much as it pains me as well, I wish we had Lilja. Chelios is terrible. I love the guy but enough is enough. I know he's been here and all that, but I'd much rather see Meech out there at this point if Rafalski can't go.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #597
bbor
Pro Starter

The rule is as soon as the ref has it in his mind to blow his whistle the play is dead.Even if the puck goes in the net before the whistle actually goes.

It was the right call at the wrong time.

Galaxy...it's a good rule......unless you plan on having the refs wear their whistles in their mouths the whole game.The puck does'nt need to be covered for the ref to blow the play dead....if he loses sight of the puck the play is automatically blown dead.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #598
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
We were screaming at the TV in my household. It was Getzlaf who didn't clear the zone the first time, I think Pronger might have had a shot at it and weakly put it up the boards and then Niedermayer... holy crap. That's the 2 A's and the C right there doing their best to give the game away.

You know what's screwed up? No matter what happens now, going forward, we can't "win" this series. Sure, we might win the series. But no matter what happens, we "stole" it. And that sucks.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #599
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Ugh as much as it pains me as well, I wish we had Lilja. Chelios is terrible. I love the guy but enough is enough. I know he's been here and all that, but I'd much rather see Meech out there at this point if Rafalski can't go.

That was my other thought from this game. Chelios is done and the Wings must have somebody in the Minors who can actually skate out there. Selanne completely embarassed him on the first (and Selanne has lost a step), Chelly looked like he was skating in tar.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #600
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The ref took himself out of position. He was near the boards for some reason. That was just abysmal. I even hate to admit it, but I have sincere doubts that kind of screw up happens in the Pens/Caps series.