Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #551
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Right as she got to the scat section of the song, she started to do it like she had performed it the night before, then stopped, and yell/sung, "Why did I have to scat?" and "American hates jazz" or something like that as the show cut off. That was awesome!

Agreed, that was a great exit and I wonder if they cut off a bit earlier than planned because she might have said something else (I'm sure they have a time delay of at least a few seconds.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-02-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So apparently I missed this exchange between Ryan and Pickles after she sang:

“So Kellie - did you BUY anything since the tour ended?” Kellie: “Yes I bought shoes” Ryan: “Is that ALL you bought?”

I now have a newfound respect for Seacrest, even if he continues to wear some shade of purple on every freaking show.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #553
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I didn't see the show last night, and my wife will probably have it deleted from TiVo by the time I get home today, but I saw the new Pickles on YouTube.

Both of them.

Yowza.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #554
Ksyrup

So I mentioned Mikaylah Gordon on another board and got this LOL response from one of the guys...

"oooh, that name brings back memories. I had the most oddest, biggest, lustful Love/Hate relationship w/ that girl.

She was pretty in a weird way, and when she talked, it made me want stick my head in the oven. And she had a great huge ass.

I fantasized often about being w/ her, having a miserable time, but enjoying the complaining i'd do to my friends. We would have incredible sex, where i would hate myself after, but do it again an hour later.

It would be terrible, i would come home late- she would bitch at me in that annoying voice and make me beat myself in the face w/ a stainless steel spoon, but hell.... it would be awesome in a very fucked up way."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #555
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
So I mentioned Mikaylah Gordon on another board and got this LOL response from one of the guys...

"oooh, that name brings back memories. I had the most oddest, biggest, lustful Love/Hate relationship w/ that girl.

She was pretty in a weird way, and when she talked, it made me want stick my head in the oven. And she had a great huge ass.

I fantasized often about being w/ her, having a miserable time, but enjoying the complaining i'd do to my friends. We would have incredible sex, where i would hate myself after, but do it again an hour later.

It would be terrible, i would come home late- she would bitch at me in that annoying voice and make me beat myself in the face w/ a stainless steel spoon, but hell.... it would be awesome in a very fucked up way."

Obviously Pumpy is on another board
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #556
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Obviously Pumpy is on another board
Shit, that does look like something I'd say.

Fortunately, I couldn't even remember Mikalah Gordon. I had to look up who she was and what she looks like, and I don't really think she looks good enough for those comments. So it wasn't me.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #557
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
So apparently I missed this exchange between Ryan and Pickles after she sang:

“So Kellie - did you BUY anything since the tour ended?” Kellie: “Yes I bought shoes” Ryan: “Is that ALL you bought?”

I now have a newfound respect for Seacrest, even if he continues to wear some shade of purple on every freaking show.

It was actually befeore she sang.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #558
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
It was actually befeore she sang.

That would explain it, then. I was in the kitchen and came in half way through the song.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #559
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
After tonight, I really have lost all interest in AI.

It took you 5 or 6 seasons or whatever it has been to figure this out.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #560
Ksyrup

More bits and pieces of info:

It was American Idol night at the Museum of Television & Radio’s 24th annual William S. Paley TV festival on Thursday. The panel consisted of Ryan Seacrest; judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson; and executive producers Ken Warwick and Cecile Frot-Coutaz. Journalist, Lisa Morales, was there. Here are a few excerpts from her report:
The gang recalled how in the show’s first season, not so many people auditioned and stars stayed away from the guest-judging idea. Now the show is fighting them off — both auditioners and professional singers. Exec producer Warwick said Janet Jackson wanted to be on “Idol” this season but they couldn’t squeeze her in.

The Beatles night we’d been promised this season is a bust because Paul McCartney can’t make it. “Ringo was available,” Simon cracked. Instead, “Idol” is planning a British Invasion night.

As we were reminded by the gang onstage, whenever a singer appears on “Idol,” his or her catalogue sales go through the roof. “Except Neil Sedaka,” Simon said. “His went backwards.”

Simon also said he did not like the inclusion of Prince on last year’s finale because he declined to sing a duet with the finalists, insisting he perform alone.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #561
Ksyrup

Alaina Alexander:
What’s your mood at the moment? You seemed pretty down last night.
I’m good. At one point I think I was delirious. But it stopped when I just got really good news and I’ m so excited.

Really good news? About your career?
I don’t think I can say, but yes, involving my career.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #562
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
As we were reminded by the gang onstage, whenever a singer appears on “Idol,” his or her catalogue sales go through the roof. “Except Neil Sedaka,” Simon said. “His went backwards.”

This is something that seems undersold to me when talking about "who they can get"... I think there are very few artists who could not benefit from AI at this point, even the ones that are currently hot.
Quote:
Alaina Alexander:
What’s your mood at the moment? You seemed pretty down last night.
I’m good. At one point I think I was delirious. But it stopped when I just got really good news and I’ m so excited.

Really good news? About your career?
I don’t think I can say, but yes, involving my career.

I almost have to wonder if this is a career option outside of singing based on her performances on idol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #563
Ksyrup

Ugh!

One last article: American Idol is, for the first time, aggressively launching off-air promotional programs with advertisers. Freemantle and 19E have recently signed deals with McDonald’s. The promotion involves “Happy Meals” but no specifics yet.
Pringles potato chips will be offering, “limited edition Idol-branded cans, an Idol-themed 15-second TV spot…and a national sweepstakes offering…a trip to Los Angeles for the Idol finale.”

Dreyer’s Ice cream is featuring American Idol themed flavors. Fans can vote for their favorite flavor and enter a contest. The winners will be treated to a surprise visit at their homes by Idol Ace Young who will perform a private mini-concert.

Dreyer’s parent company, Nestle, will offer specially marked packages of Nestle chocolate bars that will include one of eight letters. The five fans who collect the series of wrappers that spell the phrase “Go to Hollywood” will win a trip for two to Hollywood, including tickets to the American Idol performance and results finales.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #564
Ksyrup

Edy's already has AI-themed ice cream flavors. The Take the Cake flavor - cake-flavored ice cream with swirls of frosting and sprinkles (low fat) is excellent. And the bonus with Edy's is that I can't win a private concert by Ace Young!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-06-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #565
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Edy's already has AI-themed ice cream flavors. The Take the Cake flavor - cake-flavored ice cream with swirls of frosting and sprinkles (low fat) is excellent. And the bonus with Edy's is that I can't win a private concert by Ace Young!

My fiance loves the Take the Cake flavor - I hate it, but that's because it tastes like what it is supposed to (I'm not a fan of icing).

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #566
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: Why do you and I always end up talking about ice cream?

Quote:
Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #567
Ksyrup

LOL
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #568
Ksyrup

Another point for how much pull AI has right now:

Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” re-entered the Hot Digital Tracks and Hot Digital Songs charts at #19 and #26 respectively. Blake Lewis performed the song on American Idol’s Top 12 Guys performance night.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #569
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Another point for how much pull AI has right now:

Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” re-entered the Hot Digital Tracks and Hot Digital Songs charts at #19 and #26 respectively. Blake Lewis performed the song on American Idol’s Top 12 Guys performance night.

I like to go to iTunes and see stuff sky-rocket up the charts.

Hell, any success KT Tunstall has in her career now she should be giving a cut to Katharine McPhee.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #570
Ksyrup

Is that the Black Cherry Tree chick? Yeah, even my wife fell in love with that song. Not enough to buy it, but still.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #571
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Is that the Black Cherry Tree chick? Yeah, even my wife fell in love with that song. Not enough to buy it, but still.

Yes, it is... my fiance bought it off of iTunes and it was in the top like 20 or so for quite some time on there.. I think my brother (lordscarlet) may have even gone to a concert of hers with his fiance?

Anyway.. yeah - it's an example of an idol performance making an artist rather than bringing back an artist that i find very interesting - another element to the gameshow.

i think you can agree with an analogy I heard recently that basically compared AI to a sporting event... that's what it is for me now... I may buy a song here and there, but it's much more about the competition for me than the albums that follow - i know you've made similar comments before.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #572
Ksyrup

Oh yeah. For me, it's not even so much the competition, per se, than just the entertainment value of it as a game show, really. As the show goes on, I get less and less interested because there are fewer and fewer contestants, and I really don't care who wins in the end.

I think this year is suffering some because of the lack of different genres being represented. Too many of them are interchangeable stylistically. Only Blake has really stood out as different among the top 24. Even Chris Sligh, who has some ability to be outside the box (just singing pop/rock is outside the box on this show!), hasn't really tried to be as original as he probably could be. This competition desperately needs a country singer (although I hate country), a true rock singer, that plain-looking, cab-driving, Janis Joplin chick they inexplicably cut with no explanation, the Jesus Castro guy, etc.

I'm still watching and enjoying it for what it is, and even if I'm not totally convinced the talent is as lacking this year as everyone says, I think what's really lacking is a handful of people who stand out because they aren't just a different shade of the same color.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #573
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Oh yeah. For me, it's not even so much the competition, per se, than just the entertainment value of it as a game show, really. As the show goes on, I get less and less interested because there are fewer and fewer contestants, and I really don't care who wins in the end.

I think this year is suffering some because of the lack of different genres being represented. Too many of them are interchangeable stylistically. Only Blake has really stood out as different among the top 24. Even Chris Sligh, who has some ability to be outside the box (just singing pop/rock is outside the box on this show!), hasn't really tried to be as original as he probably could be. This competition desperately needs a country singer (although I hate country), a true rock singer, that plain-looking, cab-driving, Janis Joplin chick they inexplicably cut with no explanation, the Jesus Castro guy, etc.

I'm still watching and enjoying it for what it is, and even if I'm not totally convinced the talent is as lacking this year as everyone says, I think what's really lacking is a handful of people who stand out because they aren't just a different shade of the same color.

I am admittedly a sucker for covers - so that is part of it for me to in general. Hearing songs I know done differently. But this goes to what you were saying - they don't do them differently, it is all the same.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #574
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yes, it is... my fiance bought it off of iTunes and it was in the top like 20 or so for quite some time on there.. I think my brother (lordscarlet) may have even gone to a concert of hers with his fiance?

I absolutely did not. It's possible I pointed out that they she/they were performing at the 9:30 Club, but I did not go.

Quote:

Agreed on all accounts. I don't know why there's not more talk about how one-dimensional this season is. There seems to have been a bell curve on this aspect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I am admittedly a sucker for covers - so that is part of it for me to in general. Hearing songs I know done differently. But this goes to what you were saying - they don't do them differently, it is all the same.

Amen!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #575
Logan
Head Coach

Sanjaya straightened his hair.

HOT!

And no shit...he can hula.

Last edited by Logan : 03-06-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #576
Logan
Head Coach

That's gotta be the first 311 (edit: and Pearl Jam!) appearance on Idol.

Am I the only one watching today?

Last edited by Logan : 03-06-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #577
adubroff
High School JV

I'm watching, I'd believe you're right on both counts and I think Blake did the 311 better than Sundance did the Pearl Jam.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #578
Logan
Head Coach

There's plenty of rock songs that you can turn somewhat into pop. "Jeremy" is in no way one of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #579
adubroff
High School JV

Agree on Jeremy...actually if somebody transformed it to a ballad I could see it working, it would add an ironic element. Also, the song suffers from being chopped.

I will be interested in the voting tonight, because they've all been C performances.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #580
adubroff
High School JV

I thought Chris was a lot better than the judges intimated. Maybe they are judging him on a curve. I think Svenjaya gets cut. Not sure of the second cut but there are 5 guys who you could argue could get it (everybody but Chris and Blake in my book).
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #581
Easy Mac

Is Sanjay or whatever his name is a girl?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #582
cuervo72
Head Coach

ELAINE: He has this power over me, okay. He has this way of manipulating every little word I say. He's like a Svenjolly.

GEORGE: Svengali.

ELAINE: What did I say?

JERRY: Svenjolly.

ELAINE: Svenjolly? I did not say Svenjolly.

JERRY: George?

GEORGE: Svenjolly.

ELAINE: I don't see how I could have said Svenjolly.

JERRY: So maybe he's got like a cheerful mental hold on you.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #583
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

This has got to be one of the worst AI shows ever ! Very week performances across the board. Out of all the sucked the most, Brandon and Phil will be hitting the bricks. However, they all can go because they shouldn't even be up there with the girls. I don't see any of them cracking the top 6.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #584
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That's gotta be the first 311 (edit: and Pearl Jam!) appearance on Idol.

Am I the only one watching today?

My wife loves 311 and she thought that was a barely passable performance. We watched and wouldn't be surprised if anyone goes home except for Blake.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #585
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I'm still hoping the big announcement is that they are keeping 8 girls, particularly after the closing comments. I'm also hoping they kick Antonella off and bring back someone who can sing.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #586
Thomkal
Head Coach

Alas a downturn after last weeks performances. None of the performances were ones that I really enjoyed. Too many unfamiliar songs and too much shouting of the songs I did know.

I think Blake and the two Chris's are safe based more on an overall performance through the first three weeks. Sundance is probably safe because of his unique appearance and singing style. Any of the remaining four could go and I wouldn't be upset. I think the weakest two are Sanjaya and Phil though.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #587
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was surprised at how bad phil was this week.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #588
Swaggs
Coordinator

Man... Sundance mutilated one of my favorite songs. I hope he gets booted. Not a song to be sing in an upbeat manner.

I think Cotter is definitely done for and possibly Sundance or Sanjay will surprisingly join him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #589
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Man... Sundance mutilated one of my favorite songs. I hope he gets booted. Not a song to be sing in an upbeat manner.

I think Cotter is definitely done for and possibly Sundance or Sanjay will surprisingly join him.

Sundance's performance was just way off for me in so many ways...

If you're going to do Jeremy, you'd better be able to do it without sounding liek a pathetic imitation of Eddie Veder.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #590
Ksyrup

Man, that was brutal. I don't understand the bad comments Chris Sligh got, I thought he was clearly the best of the bunch - not that that's saying much. That Cotter guy has GOT to go - his constant mugging for the camera and his caterpillar brows are just too much. Phil was awful, the beginning of the song sounded like someone singing while taking their dying breath, I thought Chris Richardson was terribly off-key and nasally...just a bad night overall.

As far as the "big surprise," I have no clue what it is, but I'm sure it will be a big letdown. Here's what Nigel Lythgoe said about it last week:

"But it is something very special, and I did say it does involve “American Idol” and it also involves America. It involves the viewers, it involves a whole big issue here. It’s something that I know we’re all very proud of. We’re going to be the first program that will talk about this sort of thing and.well, it will have to wait until next time. But I can’t wait to tell you."

It almost sounds like they're talking about doing something with a charity...? Or perhaps the military? One of the rumors is that the Top 12 show is going on the road, but that doesn't really fit with his comments. Who knows.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-06-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #591
Ksyrup

I thought it was funny no one on the show knew the 311 song. And Sundance destroyed (in a bad way) Jeremy. His performance underscores how desperately we need a real rock singer on this show. On the positive side, it was cool to hear a song like that on AI. Man, I'm already jonesing for another season of Rockstar. I hope they can con some has-been group into doing it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-06-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #592
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I remember singing in the school choir in high school. It was a great way to get some alone time with the girls, because there were only a handful of guys who liked choir. It was a frustrating experience, though, because the guy singing parts had no melody whatsoever. We were the tubas of the proverbial orchestra.

I think American Idol has also run out of guys to cast. I'd be perfectly happy if all eight of the remaining male candidates just went away, and left everything to the black girls who can sing, because this is their year and no one else is stepping up to the plate.

Tonight was as bad as opening night, with pitch falling by the wayside and song choices as bizarre as Michael Jackson's sexual identity.

On to the ratings:

1. Chris Sligh. By the time he came up, the judges were just plain sick and tired of listening to this schlock. He was actually decent, except for a run in the middle when he got a bit loud. He has some versatility, and I think he'll do better when he stops choosing songs on his own. Score of 80.

2. Chris Richardson. As always, it's hard to judge him because the boy band slop is irriating. I think his range is impressive, and he did a good job with a weak song - not the kind of song that lends itself well to juried television productions. Score of 79.

3. Blake Lewis. It was interesting. Maybe a little too comfortable - he has this ease about him that seems very professional among a group of amateurs. The top three tonight were all very close tonight, kind of underwhelming for a top three. But I'd say these three are the only guys who deserve to be in the final 12. Score of 77.

4. Jared Cotter. The Young Republicans sweater and appearance were distracting. The problem I have with Jared is that he's easily one of the least memorable singers they've ever had on this show. He's capable, but not particularly talented or fun to listen to. A good wedding singer, as Simon always says about someone. Score of 66.

5. Brandon Rogers. I keep expecting Brandon to knock one out of the park, but his song choices are abysmal, like he just doesn't want to win. He needs confidence. I hope he squeaks through, but I doubt it. Three bad weeks in a row. Score of 63.

6. Sundance Head. He was braying off key, as usual. I don't have a clue as to why he is so popular. Well, some clue - his energy last week was nice. His rendition of Pearl Jam surely offended oysters throughout America, though. Even oysters would have found the beginning of that song completely off pitch. Score of 46.

7. Phil Stacey. Words cannot describe this disaster. Falsetto can be nice. This was forced and irrelevant. This wasn't even mediocre karaoke. Score of 38.

8. Sanjaya Malakar. As he's in transition to whatever sex and orientation he desires as an adult, he keeps picking the oddest songs to sing. It started out dreadfully boring, then fell apart at the end as he panicked and tried to get loud. Until that moment, at least he could say he was almost always in tune this season. He really shouldn't be in this competition. Score of 29.

Who should go: Sanjaya and Sundance, as usual.

Who will go: Brandon and Jared.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #593
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It was pretty weak. In fact, it was so weak I don't even want to use their real names in this week's abridged version:

1. Max Headroom - Really the only original performer on the men's side. Did a nice job adding a little excitement to the 311 song. Easily the best.
2. Timberlake wannabe - Chris did a solid job with a fairly bland song. It was good enough to be top 2 tonight- but that's almost by default (ie, singing on time and in tune).
3. John Popper Jr - Wasn't as consistent throughout the song but still in the top 3. He's safe, but he really should be doing better by now (by experience he seems close to where Daughtry was - but he's nowhere near him so far).
4. Guy Smiley - I've liked Travis (err, Brandon) from the start but this wasn't his best. Thankfully, there were many other underwhelming performances for him to make the final 6 guys.
5. Carlton from the Fresh Prince - He did an OK job with the Stevie song but he sings so "robot-like". He's very forgettable (outside of the garb reminding me of Wil Smith's former cohort).
6. Raindance - It was pretty rough but he lands outside the final two by atleast trying a somewhat difficult song and taking a risk. Still, it was a pretty stupid risk - and what's with all the eye makeup and Seacrest hairdoo? Serious identity crisis here.
7. Insane bald guy - Wow, that was interesting. Half the song was barely audible with non-existent low voice and then he started screaming like a banshee midway in. I actually could tolerate some of his earlier performances, but I think he should steer clear of Leanne if he stays on somehow.
8. Hula girl - You could make an argument that he/she should be 6th or 7th, but his horrible efforts in the past few weeks land him at the bottom. The more I listen to it, the more I realize that Sanjaya doesn't even have much vocal range. Which, I thought, was one of his/her biggest assets. Should go, but that was the same tune the past two weeks.

My guess on who gets voted off: Cartlon and Insane bald guy. Who would I choose: Hula girl and Raindance.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #594
Ksyrup

Yeah, I was puzzled by Sundance's makeover into a kinda clean-cut makeup boy - he toned down the hair, trimmed the beard, looked much more "presentable" - and then sang an edgy rock song about a kid who shoots up his class. Very strange.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #595
Easy Mac

Did American Dreamz fortell the rise of Sanjaya? I give you, Iqbal Riza

Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #596
Ksyrup

Well, it looks like the Barba racy pics story still has legs (pardon the pun)...but this time, in the form of racism.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- 0306xFrenchie Frenchie Davis, dumped by "American Idol" in 2003 for lingerie shots posted on a Web site, moved on to Broadway success and thought she had buried a humiliating chapter of her young life.

That changed in the last few days after contestant Antonella Barba was allowed to stay on the top-rated Fox series despite the emergence of acy online photos that purport to be of Barba, but with no verification.

The first big controversy of the show's sixth season swelled Tuesday when fans and a civil-rights activist rallied to Davis' side, saying she was the victim of unfair and potentially biased treatment. Davis is black; Barba is white.

"We object to having one rule for black contestants and a different rule for white contestants who exhibit the same behavior," said Najee Ali, community activist and founder of Project Islamic H.O.P.E.

Davis said she is bewildered over what's happened with Barba, 20, of Point Pleasant, N.J.

"I don't necessarily think that (it's racism), but I can certainly look at this and understand why people would draw that conclusion," Davis said Tuesday from New York, hours before going on stage in the musical "Rent."

"I'm not bashing `Idol' or Antonella. She's a beautiful girl and she's young. I think it's great that she didn't have to go through what I went through," said Davis, 27, who suggested that the show's producers might have learned from how they treated her.

Davis would welcome a public apology from them as "a great start." But she said she is owed more for "the manner in which I was humiliated and the manner in which Antonella was defended and protected by the same people who humiliated me."

"Now they need to come to the table and see what we can do to make up" for her treatment, Davis said. She declined to say if she would seek a financial settlement or a record contract or other deal.

Belinda Foster, Davis' manager, took part in a small protest Tuesday with Ali outside the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles where "American Idol" tapes. She said there are stark differences in the treatment of the two contestants.

Foster noted the sympathetic comments of "American Idol" producer Nigel Lythgoe, who was quoted on Entertainment Weekly's Web site recently saying he was aware of the photos associated with Barba, but adding: "It's sad, isn't it, that your best friends are the ones that come forward with information that will go to Smoking Gun or put your photographs on the Web?"

Fox and the producers have declined further comment on Barba, who was to perform again Wednesday as the contestants are narrowed down this week to the 12 finalists. All the singers, including Barba, have been unavailable for interviews.

A source close to the show, who asked not to be identified because of the lack of authorization to comment publicly, said Fox and the producers believe seminude photos of Barba were posted without her consent and that racier shots, showing a sex act, were of a woman other than Barba.

Whether Barba posted any photos or allowed them to be posted is immaterial, Ali said.

"`American Idol' has first and foremost proclaimed it is a family show. ...
No matter who made the photos public, it still speaks to her moral character and integrity, and certainly her silence speaks for itself," he said.

A fan group lead by Chris Tian, a singer-songwriter in Portsmouth, N.H., is calling on Fox to give Davis another shot at competing on "Idol."

Although she's wonderful in "Rent," Tian said, "a lot of Broadway artists don't get record deals. This could open up the path for her big record deal and big break."

The series has rarely managed a quiet year, with past issues ranging from voter complaints over overloaded phone systems to a contestant's allegation of an affair with judge Paula Abdul, which she denied.

The big-voiced Davis, on the verge of being voted a finalist by viewers in the year in which Ruben Studdard won, said she was honest with producers about posing for lingerie photos at age 19, five years before going on "American Idol."

In a statement Tuesday, Fox said, "We have never discussed the specifics of why Ms. Davis was eliminated, nor will we now."

The network said it had "no desire to revisit history and sully the reputation of Ms. Davis. She was removed from the show over four years ago and has gone on to a successful performing career."

That achievement has been a salve, of sorts, for Davis.
"I don't feel anything about the show. I haven't watched it. When `American Idol' comes on at 8 o'clock at night, I'm on stage," Davis said.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #597
Easy Mac

I think it has more to do with people wanting to see Antonella naked.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #598
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think there is a reasonably large difference between being paid to pose for softcore porn pictures (Frenchie) and having risque personal pictures posted on the web (Antonella).

I could care less about either adn I think Antonella sucks as a singer and do not find her remotely attractive, but I can pretty easily see the difference between the two.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #599
wade moore
lolzcat

Agree with the overall ratings... The top 3 were clearly better than the rest.. maybe a group of 4...

The guys are clearly underwhelming, although I am a fan of Blake and Chris Richardson (again richardson is a local-boy, so that influences me).

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #600
Danny
Head Coach

Shitty overall, and I can do a better Jeremy than that.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote