Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #551
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's not just the suits. The pool was constructed to maximize speed in every way possible. This from NPR:

Quote:
Gaines is not referring to the futuristic exterior. He focuses on the design of the pool, which discourages turbulence and encourages speed.

"I'm talking about deep water," Gaines explains. "It's a perfect depth because if it's too deep, you lose your sense of vision and where you're at in the pool. But it's just deep enough to where the waves dissipate (and) the turbulence dissipates down to the bottom."

The Water Cube pool also has 10 lanes instead of eight. Waves churned up during races don't bounce back into the swimming lanes. Waves that reach the sides are siphoned off by perforated gutters.

"It's physics and it's not sports, but it makes sense," says Christine Brennan, a veteran of 13 Olympics and an Olympics columnist for USA Today. "You make a deeper and a wider pool, and you ... give all of those waves and all of that splashing and all of that moving water a chance to move away from the swimmers and get out of their way, which makes them go faster. It's as simple as that."

The Water Cube pool is close to 10 feet deep. That's 3 feet deeper than the pools of the past. The lane lines that separate swimmers are called wave eaters because they dissipate turbulent water. The goal is to make the water as flat and clear as possible, despite the churning that swimmers create.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #552
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I'm a bit suprised Lochte wasn't with Phelps there, but quite a good race.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #553
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
I'm a bit suprised Lochte wasn't with Phelps there, but quite a good race.

The whole swimming 2 finals in under an hour thing is probably pretty tough

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #554
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The whole swimming 2 finals in under an hour thing is probably pretty tough

SI

Honestly, I highly doubt it had nearly as much effect as any announcer ever claimed it did. Two races in 20-30 minutes is routine for college swimming (and Lochte excelled in college), and Ryan has proven before that he has the ability to swim two best times in quick turnaround.

I actually expected the second final (the 2IM) to be better, since he would be much more relaxed, especially after winning gold in the 2Bk.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #555
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
But that is my point. You can ask those questions about any athlete who breaks any records in any sport. To me, it is a way to discount the talents and efforts of these athletes.

the same argument happens in the winter games for speed skating...every world record gets smashed because of the clap skate and the suits and every other innovation...no one ever wants to talk about the amazing strength and stamina these athletes have.

bs imo
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #556
Autumn
Head Coach

I think if the focus wasn't so much on records, more talk would go towards the athletes' abilities. But since the media, at least, loves to talk about broken records it shifts the attention to the nanosecond level, where things like equipment and training have to be taken into consideration. It's also a way to honor past athletes who get eclipsed despite having amazing strength and stamina of their own, and some who would be competing on just as high a level today.

If we could all take our "record-goggles" off for the Games, (and other sports), we could focus on that strength and stamina.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #557
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Boy, doesn't this just feel like the "good old" Cold War days with lots of bogus scoring and crap where two gymnasts do identical things but get vastly different scores?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-14-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #558
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Aw, screw it. I don't think I can deal with another night of bogus crappy scores.

I'm turning in early tonight or maybe there's some more boxing on MSNBC/CNBC- I've been falling asleep to that the last couple of night.

SI

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #559
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Now watch this get a 9.050

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #560
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And just when you thought you had them figured out
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #561
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wow, well they got something right, but I'd still like to hear an explanation for Shawn Johnson's score.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #562
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Give me more subjective scoring, please. I say, have everyone do the same routine, and who does it the fastest, wins. Next event.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #563
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Boy, doesn't this just feel like the "good old" Cold War days with lots of bogus scoring and crap where two gymnasts do identical things but get vastly different scores?

SI

They are doing this Cold War scoring pretty poorly . They are supposed to make sure their person wins the Gold! Oh well, they are amateurs at it.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #564
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

she deserved it, good job nastia.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #565
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Chinese even cheat badly... only could manage to get their person a bronze .
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #566
Radii
Head Coach

That was great to watch.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #567
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Good for Shawn, though. She came up with a clutch routine to get the silver, especially considering she added a skill she hadn't been doing.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-15-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #568
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can't say that nastia didn't deserve it. could say that shawn was a bit nitpicked on by the judges and maybe it should have been closer / she deserved it too, but can't say that someone won who didn't deserve to win.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #569
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I caught some of the Mens Tennis semifinals this morning when James Blake (USA) played against Gonzalez from Chile. Match was in 3rd set with score 9-8 Blake (no tie-breaker in last set). The first point Blake hits a shot that nicks his opponent racket but goes long and out-of-bounds. The Umpire calls the point for the Chilean. Blake goes up and tells the umpire that the ball hit his racket. Umpire says he didn't see it. They only do replays for line calls. Blake becomes disheartened and you can tell he's lost his mental focus, and ends up losing 11-9 and the chance for a gold medal.

It was an interesting moment to see if Gonzalez would own up and concede the point to Blake (he did not). Karma did not strike back. I haven't been able to read any post-match comments yet, but I bet that point will be asked of both players. How will Gonzalez respond when there is clear video evidence that it hit his racket? Anything for the gold, right?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #570
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How many athletes do you think would own up to it? And if they did, what are the chances they get yelled at in their home country for doing so?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #571
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Fatigue made me do it...

BEIJING, Aug 15 (reuters) - James Blake launched a withering verbal volley at Fernando Gonzalez on Friday, accusing him of acting against the spirit of the Olympics after losing to the Chilean in an acrimonious men’s singles semi-final.

The 28-year-old American was convinced Gonzalez, a doubles gold medallist in Athens, had robbed him of a point with unsporting behaviour near the end of a gripping contest that lasted nearly three hours.

With Blake leading 9-8 in the decider he hit a fierce forehand towards Gonzalez at the net. The ball landed out but Blake was convinced it touched his opponent’s racket.

Eighth seed Blake, who could still end up with a bronze medal, had a lengthy debate with Brazilian chair umpire Carlos Bernardes who awarded the point to Gonzalez.

“Playing in the Olympics, in what’s supposed to be considered a gentleman’s sport, that’s a time to call it on yourself,” Blake, who lost 4-6 7-5 11-9 after holding three match points, told reporters.

“Fernando looked me square in the eye and didn’t call it. If it had happened the other way, I never would have finished the match because my father would have pulled me off the court.

“We know when it touches us. And he knew that. So that’s where it comes into calling it on yourself. Should I expect him to do that? Maybe not.

“It’s a disappointing way to exit the tournament when you not only lose the match, but you lose a little faith in your fellow competitor.”

Gonzalez played down the incident later saying he had been so tired that he was unaware whether the ball had touched his racket or not, although television replays suggested that Blake had a legitimate gripe.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #572
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I have never, ever seen an an athlete own up to a bad call like that in any competition. I mean, how far do we take this? Are we going to attack the Oregon players for not admitting that they didn't really recover the ball in the Okahoma game? Should Buster Douglas have said the count you gave me was too long, so Tyson actually won? It seems unfair to attack Gonzalez for not owning up to this.

If you want to be a champion, you take advantage of your opportunities and you overcome your bad luck. You don't fall apart after a bad call and then whine afterwards.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #573
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

One point does not a tennis match make.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #574
Radii
Head Coach

Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #575
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The name McLovin isn't as funny for a 13 year old girl.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #576
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Meh... I've played basketball and soccer and gotten in heated arguments over whether a ball hit me or someone else where both sides are completely convinced they're right, and thats actually brushing the skin rather than adding the additional layer of a racket in hand. Especially if you're tired and there is a judge sitting 10 feet away who's job it is to make the call, I'd be inclined to go with their ruling. Tough shit for Blake, you're not the first athlete to get screwed out of a point - and unlike many of them where it did decide the outcome you still had a chance to convert one of your three match points.

All this talk about records falling just reminds me why Michael Johnson's 19.32 200 in Atlanta in 1996 was the most impressive run I've ever seen. It's been 12 years and no one's come closer than 19.62. Usain Bolt has put up a 19.67 recently, so we'll see if he can come close.

Just think about it. In the 100 the record is continually broken by 1-3/100's of a second. Jim Hines ran a 9.95 in 1968 and it took 40 years for the record to drop more than .2s. Michael Johnson broke the WR by over .4s and it's still .3s better 12 years later. It's Bob Beamon's long jump for modern times.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #577
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I have never, ever seen an an athlete own up to a bad call like that in any competition. I mean, how far do we take this? Are we going to attack the Oregon players for not admitting that they didn't really recover the ball in the Okahoma game? Should Buster Douglas have said the count you gave me was too long, so Tyson actually won? It seems unfair to attack Gonzalez for not owning up to this.

If you want to be a champion, you take advantage of your opportunities and you overcome your bad luck. You don't fall apart after a bad call and then whine afterwards.

We shouldn't blame the athletes. They have no control over the bad calls.

There's one thing I'd like to point out on your statement about whining about bad calls. People tend to lump this stuff together, but there are two types of bad calls. It is extremely rare that one can definitively say that if the correct call had been made, then the outcome would be a certainty. The vast majority of bad calls only give a team an advantage, but the outcome in these situations would not be guaranteed if the correct call had been made.

The ones that are extremely rare are calls that if made correctly would virtually guarantee the outcome of the game. For example, if the correct call had been made at the end of the 1972 US/USSR basketball game, then the US would have certainly won the game. Similarly, in your example of the OU/Oregon onside kick, if the correct call had been made, then OU takes a knee and the game is over with.

Getting back on topic, I'm not sure what category the bad call in this tennis match would be. If the correct call had been made, would that have guaranteed the outcome of the match?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 08-15-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #578
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Unbelievable! Most exciting moment, yet.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #579
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It looks like Cavic (sp?) touched first on those slow mo replays. So very close.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #580
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WOW. One one-hundreth...WOW. That's Olympic-drama.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #581
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

looks like cavic couldn't find the pad to touch or something?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #582
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son (who has watched every Phelps race so far & treats that like a higher level of event than anything else in the Games) just turned to me and said "this is rigged".

And to tell you the truth I thought Phelps lost ... and still don't quite understand how the outcome is different than what my eyes are seeing on the replay, which is the guy in the bottom lane with his hands on the wall while Phelps is still approaching with his final stroke.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-15-2008 at 09:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #583
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That super slo-mo overhead view of the final stroke was one of the best sports shots I've ever seen.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #584
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My son (who has watched every Phelps race so far & treats that like a higher level of event than anything else in the Games) just turned to me and said "this is rigged".

Ahhh, the glorious cynicism of youth. You had the perfect opportunity to use the John Wayne voice. "Son, we're Americans. We don't lose."
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #585
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
That super slo-mo overhead view of the final stroke was one of the best sports shots I've ever seen.

yeah, you sure can't see who got there first, but from the side it is impossible to fathom how Phelps didn't lose... overhead though you can see that Cavic appears to be just gliding to the finish with phelps charging up on him. Cavic seemed to choke/let up a bit at the end? I dunno, I don't understand how that happened at all.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #586
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm not entirely sure how that just happened. But holy crap.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #587
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Phelps arms were moving incredibly fast for a slow-mo shot. You could see Cavic BARELY moving at all and superman Phelps' arms MOVING SO FUCKING FAST to beat him just barely!

The mother's face was priceless as well.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #588
Celeval
Pro Starter

Actually, I liked the guy in front of his mother who just looked completely dumbfounded.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Actually, I liked the guy in front of his mother who just looked completely dumbfounded.

+1
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #590
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this just in - the serbians are filing a protest
Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #591
Celeval
Pro Starter

That last underwater replay shown just now was a great one... frame-by-frame on my dvr, at least, its' the first one that shows Phelps getting the touch. Just... wow.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #592
rowech
Pro Starter

As would I. He doesn't have a chance at winning the protest but he almost has to.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #593
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

FINA technical committee rules that Phelps wins.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #594
Buccaneer
Head Coach

They just showed it here in MST and Phelps was beaten, Cavic floated and didn't quite activate it first as he should of. Can't get much closer than that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #595
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
They just showed it here in MST and Phelps was beaten, Cavic floated and didn't quite activate it first as he should of. Can't get much closer than that.

sweet! you're from the future?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #596
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for all the mark spitz bashing we did earlier -- he just gave a very classy speech to michael phelps while bob costas was interviewing them both.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #597
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yeah, just saw it. Phelps reached and the other dude thought he'd won already.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #598
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
for all the mark spitz bashing we did earlier -- he just gave a very classy speech to michael phelps while bob costas was interviewing them both.

He sure talked about himself a lot. Not that he shouldn't have. But agreed, he wasn't quite as tool-like as I would've thought.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #599
sabotai
General Manager

I just watched the race on TiVo. On the underwater shot, I see their hands touching the pads on the same frame.

Last edited by sabotai : 08-15-2008 at 11:12 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #600
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think Cervi just reached out for the wall and missed. By the time he realized, it was too late.