Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #551
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Vidro, who has absolutely nothing left in the field, was turned into a very good 22 yo RP, Emiliano Fruto, and Chris Snelling who could pan out as a solid 3rd/4th OF if his knee injuries are behind him.
As an M's fan, I beg of you - quit mentioning this trade!

And actually, you have the value in this trade backwards - it's Snelling who you should be really excited about, and consider Fruto an extra special bonus. Fruto has great velocity, but his marginal command is an issue. Not saying he can't blossom into a star reliever at some point, but he's got some work to do.

Snelling is the steal here - yeah, he's had major issues staying healthy. But I'm 95% sure he's already a better hitter than Vidro, far younger and cheaper, and not really any less healthy than Vidro. Snelling really should be starting in the Nats OF if he's healthy.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #552
John Galt
Pro Starter

Bowden scored with the Kearns and Lopez trade (Wagner still doesn't count for anything, but you never know). He also made out big with the Vidro deal (stealing from the worst GM in baseball). Those are really great deals and I think Bowden deserves praise for them.

But don't forget the parade of horribles that came before (Christian Guzman alone is too painful to talk about). I've recounted his misadventures before, so I won't do it again, but cherry-picking Bowden's successes is just as bad as cherry-picking his failures, IMO. On the whole, I think Bowden is no longer the worst GM in baseball, but he is certainly in the bottom 10.

And your assessments of the pitching staff are just delusional. If not for the park effects of RFK (which were odd last year, but returned to their expected pitcher-friendly level near the end of the year), this could be a historically bad pitching staff. It's going to be painful to watch.

edit: And as for Chico, a player who is going to turn 25 who hasn't pitched above AA and is a HR machine, I'm not sure he'll amount to anything. On the bright side, Washburn is the 2nd listed player on his PECOTA comparables list. Unfortunately, he has a very high similarity score for Ryan Snare in 2003. Yeah, I'm not counting on Chico.

Last edited by John Galt : 02-15-2007 at 05:24 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #553
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9999764

Quote:
Cubs' Wood slips getting out of hot tub, will miss a few days

Feb. 15, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

MESA, Ariz. -- Oft-injured Kerry Wood is out again -- this time because of a flub in a hot tub.

The Chicago Cubs pitcher is not expected to throw off the mound for a few days after he slipped this week getting out of a hot tub at home. Wood landed on his stomach and chest.

"It was just a little spill," Wood said Thursday. "I didn't think anything of it. Nothing's wrong. It's just going to be a few extra days. My arm feels great. My body feels good."

Wood said he probably would not have thrown off the mound until Friday had he not gotten hurt. He participated in most drills on Thursday when pitchers and catchers worked out for the first time.

Bothered by an injured right shoulder the past three seasons, Wood is being converted to a reliever after being limited to four starts last year.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Spring Training started what, yesterday? Atleast we don't count on this guy to give us anything anymore.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM   #555
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps it was just that I wasn't paying attention, but a NY Times article alerted me that the Mets signed Scott Schoeneweis recently. Great signing for the bullpen! Especially after the Mota stuff.

Though the starting pitching looking bad. Guess the Mets got Chan-Ho Park so... uh... wtf? Chan-Ho?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #556
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Christian Guzman is as real as Keyser Sose.

Bowden is competent at this point and his personnel decisions definitely trended upwards last year. Like I said, I'd rather have it be Kasten and Rizzo running things, but Bowden did much better with their help. Lets also not forget that the MLB budget had this team with less than a skeleton scouting system as well, and yet they hit on Cordero and Zimmerman and their other 1st rounder was Bill Bray who helped make that Cincy deal work.

Bowden also made a great deal with Soriano. The way re-signing him/trading him worked out didn't go well, but everyone thought he was an idiot for trading for him in the first place. Washingtonians didn't want to see Wilkerson go, and thought Soriano would be a horrible replacement, particularly in the outfield (if he would even play there). Instead, Soriano had a break-out year and Wilkerson took a big slide.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #557
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But the Nationals still finished in last place and saw their attendance decline.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #559
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
"Really Bad" Brad Wilkerson has been a talentless tool for his entire career. Never a .900 OPS, one 30+HR season and one 20 HR season, 77 RBI high, really bad SB% including 2 years of more CS than SB etc. Just a bad player who wouldn't have been better than Soriano even if Soriano had refused to play the entire season.

I'm just referring to the general public's opinion of Bowden, at least in Washington. They were very upset by the trade.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #560
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't know anyone that was upset by the Soriano trade. They were sad to see Wilkerson go because he was such a great guy, but at the time everyone I know thought it was a good deal for the team.

I'm not a fan of Bowden but I do think he gets too much heat for some stuff (like not being able to move Soriano) and not enough credit for some of the good moves he's made. Of course, some of the heat he gets is well deserved IMO because some of the moves he's made were just horrible. I think Kasten will be a good counter to Bowden by hopefully denying some of his really stupid moves. At least at this point, nothing Bowden has done since Kasten came into the picture has made me shake my head.

As far as the rebuilding through the farm system, I wasn't sold on the concept from the start and that hasn't really changed for me. I do think they should be rebuilding the farm system, but I don't like that they've seemed to just abandon the short term completely. I don't think one precludes the other like they've seemed to make it appear. Of course, it's not my money either.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #561
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I don't know anyone that was upset by the Soriano trade. They were sad to see Wilkerson go because he was such a great guy, but at the time everyone I know thought it was a good deal for the team.

I'm not a fan of Bowden but I do think he gets too much heat for some stuff (like not being able to move Soriano) and not enough credit for some of the good moves he's made. Of course, some of the heat he gets is well deserved IMO because some of the moves he's made were just horrible. I think Kasten will be a good counter to Bowden by hopefully denying some of his really stupid moves. At least at this point, nothing Bowden has done since Kasten came into the picture has made me shake my head.

As far as the rebuilding through the farm system, I wasn't sold on the concept from the start and that hasn't really changed for me. I do think they should be rebuilding the farm system, but I don't like that they've seemed to just abandon the short term completely. I don't think one precludes the other like they've seemed to make it appear. Of course, it's not my money either.

I can go hunt for articles if you would like, but there was definitely a backlash. In particular the blog/forum community seemed against it. Regardless, it was a good trade.

We'll see how this method goes. Theoretically Kasten used a similar method with the Braves. Regardless, I plan to follow the team every year regardless of success, just as I have with the Redskins my entire life. If I could find more people that are willing to pitch in for quality season tickets, I would be a season ticket holder. (15-20 games each preferably in the 100 or 200 section).

Old 02-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #562
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was one of a number of people who thought the Soriano deal was bad. In fact, I'm hoping Wilkerson is over his injury problems and jump-starts his career so I don't look like as big a fool in a few years as I do now. At some point - probably after his career ends - I'll have to admit that Soriano is just one of those players who succeeded in spite of his abilities, but his continued success just meant it was even crazier for Washington to not have traded him. I still expect the guy to fall hard, and I certainly expect to it happen way before his 7 year deal expires.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #563
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I can go hunt for articles if you would like, but there was definitely a backlash. In particular the blog/forum community seemed against it. Regardless, it was a good trade.

We'll see how this method goes. Theoretically Kasten used a similar method with the Braves. Regardless, I plan to follow the team every year regardless of success, just as I have with the Redskins my entire life. If I could find more people that are willing to pitch in for quality season tickets, I would be a season ticket holder. (15-20 games each preferably in the 100 or 200 section).

Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong, just pointing out that everyone I know locally thought it was a good trade at the time from a baseball perspective (although just about everyone I know also liked Wilkerson a lot because he was such a great guy so were sad to see him go). I'm sure there were plenty of other people out there that thought it was a bad trade though just no one in Bee's immediate circle .

The Nationals have definitely gotten me interested again in baseball for the first time since I was in high school. I've never lived in a baseball city before so it's a new experience and I have more or less adopted the Nationals as "my team" unlike the Redskins who I follow more as an impartial observer than a fan.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #565
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmmmm......runs off to check the lacrosse schedule for the horrible team he is coaching this year.......comes back knowing that mid-May (not early June as a state title is way out of the question) would be a nice time to take in a handful of games......considers for a few days and may send you a PM agreeing to such a possibility.

Rock on. I can't gurantee getting enough people, but I'd love to get the wheels turning.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:17 PM   #566
Ksyrup

Are we sticking with this thread until the season starts?

Anyway, thought this was interesting. Perhaps the Tigers/Yanks trade won't look as bad for the Tigers if this becomes a bigger issue:

Humberto Sanchez again complained of pain in his forearm on Sunday night and was scheduled for an MRI on Monday.

It looks like his injury could be far more serious that the Yankees suspected. However, given his issues from the second half of last year, it doesn't come as much of a surprise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #567
Ksyrup

Mark Cuban in Megabucks Bid for Cubs

Billionaire blogger Mark Cuban is more serious about buying a major league baseball team than he's been letting on. The tech entrepreneur and Dallas Mavericks owner is set to offer $625 million to buy the Chicago Cubs from Tribune Co., according to a source familiar with the matter. "Mark is desperate to buy the Cubs," says the source. "He wants this so bad."

Cuban hasn't responded to a message from Radar, but when asked about the Cubs in the past, he has admitted to being a potential buyer. "I'm always interested in iconic teams or teams from my hometown, but it's a 'nice to do,' not a 'have to do,'" he told TheStreet.com on February 9.

Despite their reputation as perennial disappointments, the Cubs are one of the most valuable franchises in baseball; last year, Forbes estimated the team's worth at $448 million. (The Yankees topped the ranking at more than $1 billion.) Cuban's offer represents a sizable premium over that valuation.

Tribune, which has owned the Cubs since 1981, has been exploring a sale in recent months. The company has a buyout offer on the table from Chicago real estate billionaire Sam Zell, but is reportedly leaning toward restructuring on its own. Asked about the Cuban offer, a Tribune spokesman said, "We do not confirm, deny, or comment on speculation regarding our business or any of our business units."

Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #568
Bad-example
College Starter

Good news for Giants fans. Take care of the budding ace early and avoid a couple years of arbitration.

Quote:
The Giants have reached an agreement with pitcher Matt Cain on a multiyear contract, sources told The Chronicle. The deal is expected to be announced later today after Cain passes a physical.

The length and terms of the contract were not immediately available, but they likely will mirror the four-year, $9.25 million contract, with a fifth-year option, the Giants gave Noah Lowry before the 2006 season. Cain has roughly the same major-league service time the Lowry had a year ago.

Cain emerged as an ace-in-the-making in 2006, his first full year in the majors, when he went 13-12 with a 4.15 ERA and 179 strikeouts in 190 2/3 innings. He was 12-7 with a 3.34 ERA over his last 24 outings (23 starts). His wins and strikeouts led all National League rookies, and he finished fourth in Rookie of the Year balloting.

He is not eligible for free agency until 2012. But by giving Cain a four-year contract now the Giants would buy out two seasons in which Cain is eligible for salary arbitration, giving the team some cost certainty. In return, Cain gets a nice payday that cannot be taken away if he gets hurt or his performance decline.

Moreover, such deals represent a statement of faith in a young player.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...8/SPGiants.DTL
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #569
Ksyrup

This is from Gammons' article today:

• Remember Matt Anderson, the first pick in the 1997 draft out of Rice? Two of his ex-Tiger teammates swear that he originally hurt his shoulder in an octopus-throwing contest. Throwing octopi has been a Red Wings tradition, so the Tigers thought it would be a good promotion. Anderson participated and hurt his shoulder throwing an octopus.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #570
Fouts
College Starter

Good day for Russ Ortiz. 9 up, 9 down, bases clearing double. Can't wait to get some live ballgames on the tube.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #571
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Rangers gave Michael Young a 5 year extension for 80 million, which kicks in after the 08 season. Honestly, the dude is no longer "young" and that contract will be paid out when he's 32-36. Just seems like a stupid resigning when you own the guy for 2 more years, and at that point can likely take another look at the situation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #572
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Good day for Russ Ortiz. 9 up, 9 down, bases clearing double. Can't wait to get some live ballgames on the tube.

Gotta love spring training...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #573
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Mark Cuban in Megabucks Bid for Cubs

Billionaire blogger Mark Cuban is more serious about buying a major league baseball team than he's been letting on. The tech entrepreneur and Dallas Mavericks owner is set to offer $625 million to buy the Chicago Cubs from Tribune Co., according to a source familiar with the matter. "Mark is desperate to buy the Cubs," says the source. "He wants this so bad."

Cuban hasn't responded to a message from Radar, but when asked about the Cubs in the past, he has admitted to being a potential buyer. "I'm always interested in iconic teams or teams from my hometown, but it's a 'nice to do,' not a 'have to do,'" he told TheStreet.com on February 9.

Despite their reputation as perennial disappointments, the Cubs are one of the most valuable franchises in baseball; last year, Forbes estimated the team's worth at $448 million. (The Yankees topped the ranking at more than $1 billion.) Cuban's offer represents a sizable premium over that valuation.

Tribune, which has owned the Cubs since 1981, has been exploring a sale in recent months. The company has a buyout offer on the table from Chicago real estate billionaire Sam Zell, but is reportedly leaning toward restructuring on its own. Asked about the Cuban offer, a Tribune spokesman said, "We do not confirm, deny, or comment on speculation regarding our business or any of our business units."

This makes me sad. I have been holding onto hope, for years, that Cuban would buy the Pittsburgh Pirates and make them competitive again.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #574
Ksyrup

Friday, March 02, 2007
JUPITER — Marlins starting pitcher Josh Johnson might miss at least the first month of the season and could be lost for the year because of possible nerve damage in his right arm, sources said Wednesday.

Johnson is scheduled to have an MRI today because of lingering pain that has prevented him from throwing at full speed since September.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #575
Ksyrup

This should make Mariners fans even happier about their crappy play and crappier front office moves...

Despite enduring a third consecutive losing season and their lowest attendance figure in 11 years, the Mariners were at the top of their game in the financial department in 2006.

Thanks to a large boost from Major League Baseball, the team recorded a franchise-record $23.3 million profit last season, according to the club's annual report to the Public Facilities District that oversees Safeco Field stadium operations.

The report, obtained Friday by the Seattle P-I, also indicates a record $32.6 million in the "special calculation" accounting category agreed to between the PFD and Mariners to determine the amount of income accumulated before the franchise begins sharing profits with the PFD.

An increase in national revenues, received in the fiscal year ending Oct. 31, is part of the reason the team was able to raise payroll to a record $111 million for the upcoming season despite attendance dropping to 2.48 million, the lowest total since 1995.

"It's unusual for the bottom line to come out so high," said Kevin Callan, executive director of the PFD. "But Major League Baseball is in great financial position and all the sources of revenues are strong, outside of local ticket sales. Baseball is in a good place right now."
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #576
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

While I think the M's have a shot at an above .500 record this year, and even an outside shot at winning the division if a lot things break their way, I'd rather they had another losing record which would pretty much force management to can Bavasi and Hargrove.

Still, it probably won't do a lot of good - I think the "braintrust" of Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong doesn't have a clue when it comes to modern baseball front office management. I don't have much faith they'd make a smart hire to replace Bavasi.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #577
Ksyrup

Rob Neyer is one funny guy:

Kevin (Billerica, MA): Rob, Thanks for the extra long chat. My friends bet my $5 I couldn't get you to say three words to me. Help me out here.

Rob Neyer: (3:43 PM ET ) Will do.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #578
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Meh, Calvin Coolidge (aka, Silent Cal) did better.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #579
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Revisiting the Nats discussion: Did anyone else get opening day tickets?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #580
watravaler
High School JV

Kerry Wood must have lost 50 pounds. Looks like the guy has finally gotten himself into decent shape.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #581
Fouts
College Starter

All these HGH reports in the news and not a word about it here. Must be missing the key ingredient, "Barry Bonds", to cause an uproar.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #582
Ksyrup

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while deciding against not postinghere since it didn't seem to be a topic of interest. Strange. Must be because one of the Steelers team physicians is also caught up in this, and we don't want to spread any bad press about the NFL. MLB, sure, but not the NFL!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-08-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #583
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while deciding against not postinghere since it didn't seem to be a topic of interest. Strange. Must be because one of the Steelers team physicians is also caught up in this, and we don't want to spread any bad press about the NFL. MLB, sure, but not the NFL!

If it's not involving the Nats it's off my radar for the most part. I didn't even realize there was HGH stuff going on outside of the Steelers.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #584
Ksyrup

Honestly? You haven't heard that Gary Matthews Jr., David Bell, Jerry Hairston Jr., and John Rocker have been tied to the Orlando raids of last week?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #585
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
All these HGH reports in the news and not a word about it here. Must be missing the key ingredient, "Barry Bonds", to cause an uproar.

Quote:

Both correct!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #586
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Heh... interesting reaction. I imagine a story that HGH NOT being linked to Bonds from the Orlando raids would have had a bigger national footprint.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #587
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Honestly? You haven't heard that Gary Matthews Jr., David Bell, Jerry Hairston Jr., and John Rocker have been tied to the Orlando raids of last week?

Hm. I heard something about Matthews Jr I think.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #588
ctmason
High School JV

And Mike Hampton goes down in batting practice. This might go down as one of the worst pitcher contracts in history....ugh. I was really hoping for a good year from him, too.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yubfuy

Another Setback

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Mike Hampton's comeback took a major blow. And, no, it has nothing to do with his reconstructed elbow.

The Atlanta Braves left-hander injured his left side during batting practice, of all things, and won't be ready for the start of the regular season.

Last edited by ctmason : 03-08-2007 at 06:43 PM.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote