Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #551
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

there we go, Corey Dillion in a Pats uniform on Madden....haha...

Packers just traded up....wahoo, what they gonna do?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:56 PM   #552
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm really liking Tennessee's draft. Not fucking around on the D-line depth.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #553
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
are you his position coach at VT?
No, but now that you mention it, Lorenzo Ward (VT's defensive backs coach) is a family friend and I routinely play golf with him when I'm back in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
To bad all those NFL scouts who had him number one on the board didn't ask you, eh? You need to sell your info. Maybe set-up a website or something.
Sorry, next time I'll remember to shut the fuck up before I post an opinion different than yours.

Last edited by VPI97 : 04-24-2004 at 07:59 PM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #554
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Packers get DT Donnell Washington, i am happy with a DT! Anyone see this guys picture on the NFL site? It says he is 6'5", but is that with or without that 6inch high afro? I hope he keeps it, i wanna see that thing pop out of a helmet as e runs off the frozen tundra in 15 degree weather
Old 04-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #555
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Sorry, next time I'll remember to shut the fuck up before I post an opinion different than yours.

Thank you. It is all I ask.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:00 PM   #556
Logan
Head Coach

Wow. I love what the Niners have done today.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #557
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This Packer-Jacksonville thing is wierd....

first the Jags trade one of thier 3rd rd picks and thier 4th for the Packs 2nd.....then...

....now the Packers trade thier original 3rd and thier orignal 4th to the Jags for thier other 3rd rd pick.........they should have just done it all at once.....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #558
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Packers get DT Donnell Washington, i am happy with a DT! Anyone see this guys picture on the NFL site? It says he is 6'5", but is that with or without that 6inch high afro? I hope he keeps it, i wanna see that thing pop out of a helmet as e runs off the frozen tundra in 15 degree weather

'70's revisited.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #559
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

It is nice to see they got the D-line some help, but I was hoping they'd address DE first. Hopefully they'll still be able to get someone there.

And that whole multiple trade thingy with Jacksonville has my head swimming. I may have to start calling Mike Sherman by his supervillian name, Confusatron!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #560
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This Packer-Jacksonville thing is wierd....

first the Jags trade one of thier 3rd rd picks and thier 4th for the Packs 2nd.....then...

....now the Packers trade thier original 3rd and thier orignal 4th to the Jags for thier other 3rd rd pick.........they should have just done it all at once.....

Crazy NFL Draft yet again.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #561
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty interesting looking at some mock drafts as this is going on. Just looked at on, On The Clock website, that had the Packers taking Darnell Dockett, DT in the first round.....he went in the first pick of the 3rd to Arizona.

Then they had Tampa in the first taking Donnell Washington,DT....Packers just took him in the 3rd round...

.....either somebody was high, very off on this projections, or these guys fell a bunch....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #562
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
It is nice to see they got the D-line some help, but I was hoping they'd address DE first. Hopefully they'll still be able to get someone there.

And that whole multiple trade thingy with Jacksonville has my head swimming. I may have to start calling Mike Sherman by his supervillian name, Confusatron!

Yeah, i have been ranting since the begining of the 2nd round hoping the Pack would get a DE, could have had one i liked with that 2nd rounder they gave up, but i guess i am fairly happy with the draft so far.

And i love the Confusatron name, it fits....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #563
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Pretty interesting looking at some mock drafts as this is going on. Just looked at on, On The Clock website, that had the Packers taking Darnell Dockett, DT in the first round.....he went in the first pick of the 3rd to Arizona.

Then they had Tampa in the first taking Donnell Washington,DT....Packers just took him in the 3rd round...

.....either somebody was high, very off on this projections, or these guys fell a bunch....

The later rounds are where the real player finds are.
1st round is lots of build-up and hype.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #564
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And i love the Confusatron name, it fits....

To ensure that credit goes where it is due, I lifted Confusatron directly from Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. The finest 15 minutes of TV you're likely to see.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #565
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky
The later rounds are where the real player finds are.
1st round is lots of build-up and hype.

Very true, the Packer o-line is an example of that....and the fact the Pack hasn't had a REAL BIG STAR 1st rounder for a while.....Holliday was good but not great, I love Bubba Franks but i expected more from him.....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 PM   #566
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hmm, kinda surprised that Isaac Sapoaga hasn't been drafted yet. He had pretty good workouts but it looks like all D-lineman have slipped from where they were projected.

I guess the Cowboys' are hoping Stephen Peterman will become Larry Allen's replacement.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #567
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Anybody have any idea wtf Miami is doing trading its only other first day draft pick when there are some perfectly good receievers still available to fill a stated need? Anyone with a clue just what the hell Green Bay traded for that pick since ESPN isn't discussing it.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #568
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

the Pack just traded for another 3rd rd pick, Miami's, for a fucking punter? a punter? was that really a priority? NO!!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #569
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
the Pack just traded for another 3rd rd pick, Miami's, for a fucking punter? a punter? was that really a priority? NO!!

Dude, I'm sorry, sounds like your team messed up worse than mine.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #570
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh...nice pick, Pack...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #571
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This has been the craziest draft...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:56 PM   #572
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
This has been the craziest draft...

yup yup
Old 04-24-2004, 08:58 PM   #573
Travis
Pro Rookie

I know I'm late and all (just got home from work), but wow, I'm excited about the Seahawks picks. Tubbs *should* be that stuffer we're looking for, and if Bernard can recapture those glimpses of John Randle like motor, our interior could be very solid (though a lot still banks on Wistrom earning his paycheck).

I'm hearing Boulware as a safety (presumably strong safety), which could create one of the best tandems in the league (and hardest hitting). Can't imagine he will be satisfied living in his brother's shadow, so really hoping this could be a steal. Defensive backfield could be a real strength if Trufant continues to grow and if Lucas can live up to expectations.

Now if we could just get a middle linebacker that can play sideline to sideline, our D could be a strength instead of a liability.

Wow, I'm really excited about our safeties though, wonder if it'll make a few of the WR's in the NFC West a bit cautious about going over the middle.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #574
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Punter, William "B.J." Sander, Jr.

PERSONAL
Turf and Grass Science major ? Son of Judy and Bill Sander ? Born Jan. 5, 1980 ? Resides in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Ok, so he is 24 already? Took him a while......

And a Turf and Grass Science Major? I didn't know you drafted field crews these days, i guess he can work two jobs at once though, punters don't really do much in practice.

And WTF? I like Bidwell as our punter anyways.....worst.Sherman.pick.ever.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #575
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I know I'm late and all (just got home from work), but wow, I'm excited about the Seahawks picks. Tubbs *should* be that stuffer we're looking for, and if Bernard can recapture those glimpses of John Randle like motor, our interior could be very solid (though a lot still banks on Wistrom earning his paycheck).

I'm hearing Boulware as a safety (presumably strong safety), which could create one of the best tandems in the league (and hardest hitting). Can't imagine he will be satisfied living in his brother's shadow, so really hoping this could be a steal. Defensive backfield could be a real strength if Trufant continues to grow and if Lucas can live up to expectations.

Now if we could just get a middle linebacker that can play sideline to sideline, our D could be a strength instead of a liability.

Wow, I'm really excited about our safeties though, wonder if it'll make a few of the WR's in the NFC West a bit cautious about going over the middle.

I am rooting for Holmgren and the Seahawks, he is the ex-Packer coach, and i grew up in Washington so i have always followed the Seaslops a bit....
Old 04-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #576
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

What is up with Matt Ware from UCLA for Philly? I know we need a CB, but why Matt Ware. Putting aside my bias against him because he is from UCLA, according to most draft sources I've read, the guy was rated as a 6th or 7th round pick at best.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #577
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
What is up with Matt Ware from UCLA for Philly? I know we need a CB, but why Matt Ware. Putting aside my bias against him because he is from UCLA, according to most draft sources I've read, the guy was rated as a 6th or 7th round pick at best.

trade you our new punter?
Old 04-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #578
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:

PERSONAL
Turf and Grass Science major ? Son of Judy and Bill Sander ? Born Jan. 5, 1980 ? Resides in Cincinnati, Ohio.

And a Turf and Grass Science Major? I didn't know you drafted field crews these days, i guess he can work two jobs at once though, punters don't really do much in practice.

Well, FWIW Bidwell is gone, so Sherman needed to get a punter somehow. Drafting one in the 3rd round is an incredible, incredible reach, however. Terrible pick.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #579
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola - well Scout's inc says he might be good value in the 2nd round. I guess opinions vary widely based upon the source.

Hopefully, Scout's inc report is more accurate and the guy can make the transition.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #580
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Well, FWIW Bidwell is gone, so Sherman needed to get a punter somehow. Drafting one in the 3rd round is an incredible, incredible reach, however. Terrible pick.

hadn't heard he was gone, crappy.....
Old 04-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #581
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

PERSONAL

As an Ohio State guy I am really glad Sander went so high, but to be real the guy doesn't have an NFL leg. He's absolutely amazing putting the ball inside the 5, but his leg strength is not NFL caliber. Frankly, I'm pretty amazed he was drafted at all, let alone in the 3rd round. As a Miami fan, I think this whole deal was a complete bust from all involved. I am just hoping the Dolphins come to their senses, and also hoe a guy like Cotchery is still available tomorrow when Miami uses that 4th round pick.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #582
Celeval
Pro Starter

Don't forget about P.K. Sam, either. He's going to be a good value WR pick in the fourth round.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #583
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Ugh, thank God that is done. 10 1/2 hours of watching the draft makes me want to pass out.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:51 PM   #584
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great draft by the Bengals... 3rd or 4th back still on the board in the first, 2 reaches at DB in the 2nd and then 2 reaches at OLB in the 3rd. Fucking marvellous.
Obviously last year was just a fluke for this franchise.

Teams that have had a good first day: Detroit obviously, Arizona got 3 first round talents (really rate Dansby), Oakland picked 2 stud O-Linemen and a very solid safety in Schweigert, Tennessee just seems to pick up talent on the D-Line like Denver discovers running backs and finally San Fran picked up two very solid players in the first 2 rounds.

Still quite a bit of talent on the board for the second day... my man Chad Lavalais is still there (the way the d-lineman are going later than expected he might even go undrafted )
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:13 PM   #585
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well. I have to happy with what the Lions did today. They made some very solid, agressive moves. The goal was to get three starters in the first day. They did that with Williams, Jones, and Lehman. Lehman will be the starting weakside linebacker. Very happy with that pick.

Millen has really added a lot of speed the last few years. Rogers, Baily, Williams, Jones, and Lehman are all fast. The Lions team Millen inherited from Bobby Ross, et al. was an slow, ageing team on its last legs. It's been three long years, but the Lions should show some improvement this year. Injuries and the development of Joey Harrington being big factors.

Keith Smith, the Lions 3rd round pick, is a CB out of McNeese State. (Joe Dumars was from McNeese State, so that's a start). He has some size, 5'11", 200 lbs, 4.4 speed, and all draft profiles paint a positive picture. It isn't really a position of need given the Bryant signing, but it's not bad. The Lions have Cash, Goodman, and Babers all coming off season-ending injuries. So there are no guarantees there. Hell, even when healthy none of those three are guarantees. Given the secondary woes of the last few years, I guess it's not a bad move.

The Lions still have some holes that need to be filled, but only have two picks left in the draft (5th/6th), so you can't expect much of anything in the way of immediate starters from those picks.

I guess they will look to free agency, especially post-June 1 cuts.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-24-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #586
JeeberD
General Manager

Trey Darilek didn't go today. Who is the team that going be lucky enough to draft this stud on the second day?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:25 PM   #587
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Surprisingly, I really like the Niners draft so far. Before I though Terry would screw it up, but he did really well.

1st pick (31) - WR Rashuan Woods, Oklahoma St. - Has decent size at 6'2'' and about 200lbs. I saw a few of his games on tv and I would just describe him as a playmaker. He makes difficult catches up in the air. Kind of slow at around 4.5, but I think 40 times are overrated. He was a steal at 31 and I love the Niners picked up him while getting the Eagles 2nd round pick and the Panthers 4th round pick.

2nd Pick (46) - OG Justin Smiley, Alabama - Picking the one of the top 3 guards in the draft really helps the Niners at RG where they lost Ron Stone. Although he might not be as good, I hear the guy is solid. (If theres any fans who know anything about please speak up).

3rd pick (48) From Eagles - CB Shawntae Spencer, Pittsburgh - This pick I'm a little afraid about. He's huge at 6'2'', but I don't know if he can be a good corner in this league. Footwork is always the problem with bigger CB. The Niners might have just picked him because he's big. Nevertheless it fills another need.

4th pick (77) - WR Derrick Hamilton, Clemson - Another big WR at 6'2''. The great thing about him is that he's also a return man, which would benefit the Niners a lot. Could be a sleeper.

So far, the Niners wanted quantity and quality in this draft and they got what they wanted. Only only complaint I have is that they didn't use one of these picks to get a DT to help out the aging Bryant Young. They addressed their need at WR, OG and CB and I think they they got 2 really good players in Rashaun Woods and John Smiley. I look for them to draft a DT, RB, maybe a DE and possibly a Punter.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #588
Vince
Pro Starter

Sharpieman - you're pretty much dead on. Smiley is supposed to be really good; some people think he was the best Guard in the draft. Shawntae Spencer I'm not sure about...but it sure will be nice to have a big CB back there for once. I really like Hamilton with the 3rd rounder; special teams threat and decent upside. Wish he was a bit faster though.

It was tough for me to swallow passing up Will Smith or Vince Wilfork at #16, but I think that getting more picks and still being able to nab a quality WR like Woods is fantastic.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:27 AM   #589
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
my man Chad Lavalais is still there
I really think he'll be a good player. 2nd round ability, IMO.

I think the Patriots draft so far has been decent, not great. Vince Wilfork at #21, unbelievable pick. Jackson was available, but Wilfork is the prototypical NG for a 3-4 defense (hopefully a younger Ted Washington.) At #32 I question the pick of Ben Watson. There wasn't anyone there that was jumping off the board, IMO, but I wish they either traded up a couple spots and got Jackson or Carroll or traded down. By the time they drafted, there was no one 'jumpin off the board' IMO, but I don't think TE was a need, and if it was, most people had Troupe over Watson. At #63 I was thinking a DB, like Ware or Joey Thomas, give him a year to develop and step in to start for Ty Law (not replace him, because there are only 2-3 guys that can do that) but be a good starter. We went DE, with Marquise Hill, who I think will be a great player, but I don't think was smart to pick. We have enough decent D-lineman, so even if Hill is solid, I felt there were needs elsewhere (if he turns into an All-Pro, which I think is possible, then we probably should have picked him.) At #95, We picked Guss Scott. He appears to be a SS, where we have Rodney Harrison, so he won't help much this year, but seems a good pick for the future. Also, we needed depth at Safety.

In the end, Mel Kiper is a blowhard, we got a great NT for the 3-4, a S which we needed, and two 'value' picks at TE and DE that I'm willing to give Belichick/Pioli the benefit of the doubt on. After all, they have 2 more Super Bowl rings than I do in the last 3 years alone.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:39 AM   #590
Logan
Head Coach

When it boils down, Spencer is the wild card. At worst, he'll be a decent nickelback at his size. At best, he'll be able to start over Rumph, who has shown very little in 2 seasons (besides frequent PI calls).

The Niners did do very well, picking up, on day 1, a starting WR, a starting G, a WR that will battle for the No. 3 spot, and a CB who could contend for a starting spot by the end of the year. Great results considering where they were slotted.

And let me say, for the thousandth time, I LOVE RASHAUN WOODS!!!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:02 AM   #591
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis

I don't know what New England was asking for the #21 pick, but if it was anything reasonable I think the 'Hawks are seriously going to regret not making a deal and taking Woolfork. The fact he'd already slid down as far as #21 was fortuitous, and Seattle should've taken advantage of that.

Tubbs may pan out, but I'm nervous about his work ethic and motivation.

As for Boulware, it sounds like he has enough speed and cover skills for SS, but I wonder how well Hamlin can transition to FS.

We still desperately need a MLB.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:07 AM   #592
haji1
Mascot

Second day and my Raiders have the third pick. Iam hoping for Turner of N. Illinois, he fits Turner's style. If he goes I would like the Safety Shivers or DT Sopanga (sp?) of Hawaii.

So far a solid draft.
haji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:27 AM   #593
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
When it boils down, Spencer is the wild card. At worst, he'll be a decent nickelback at his size. At best, he'll be able to start over Rumph, who has shown very little in 2 seasons (besides frequent PI calls).

The Niners did do very well, picking up, on day 1, a starting WR, a starting G, a WR that will battle for the No. 3 spot, and a CB who could contend for a starting spot by the end of the year. Great results considering where they were slotted.

And let me say, for the thousandth time, I LOVE RASHAUN WOODS!!!

To be honest, I think Rumph gets a really bad rap because of his absolutely horrid first season. Last year he was leaps and bounds ahead of where he was his rookie season, and watching some of (most of) the games, I can honestly say I was pleased with a lot of the things he was doing. I think with the added pressure of a second-round pick being there, Rumph might do even better this season.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:28 AM   #594
Bad-example
College Starter

I really like the 49er draft so far. I hope they can find a solid safety and a sleeper DT on day 2.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:29 AM   #595
Suicane75
Coordinator

Whats the consensus on Shawn Andrews? Reading a little bit about him I can easily forsee a guy who gets too fat/doesnt play much/gets fatter/plays less sort of vicious cycle, especially with Andy Reid as his coach. As an Eagles fan, i'm worried.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #596
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Jags draft day 1 additions

They pick up:

Reggie Williams WR from Washington, who will be a big receiver and target for Leftwich.
Daryl Smith LB from GaTech, competing for 1 of the outside lb spots.
Greg Jones RB from Fla St., a straight ahead runner who will be a nice change of pace back for F.Taylor.
Jorge Cordova LB from Nevada-Reno, another player competing for outside lb spot. He played de in college, but will be a lb coming in of the edge as a "designated pass rusher".

All in all, a nice 1st day for the Jags. They should really be a nice fit to DelRio's style of play, "wreckless abandon".

Last edited by tucker rocky : 04-25-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:07 AM   #597
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't seee how anyone can rate their early draft as anything but an F.

John Clayton of ESPN disagrees (he's called the Falcons one of the WINNERS of the draft so far).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/d...ohn&id=1789278

Atlanta Falcons: Things broke right for the Falcons. Owner Arthur Blank hoped to get Roy Williams in the first round, but he ended up getting much, much more. DeAngelo Hall is the potential shutdown cornerback the Falcons needed for new coach Jim Mora Jr. The big move was trading up in the lower part of the first round for wide receiver Michael Jenkins. Jenkins and Peerless Price give Michael Vick adequate weapons. Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett give them a great running attack. And they got a good young quarterback to groom in Matt Schaub.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #598
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
How are they more of a 'joke' than the Bengals a few years back? Indy in the mid 90s? You are acting like this is a new level of joke, which is totally not true at all.

Sorry, but I have to call you on this bullshit.

Code:
1994 8-8 1995 9-7 AFC Championship 1996 9-7 Wildcard round 1997 3-13

At the time Manning was drafted the Colt's were no where near a joke franchise (they were admittedly one in the early, early 90's and before...). They had a very good offensive line anchored by a stud left tackle (Tarik Glenn) and great offensive skill plays with a stud WR (Marvin Harrison), a stud TE (Dilger) and maybe you've heard of their RB, Marshall Faulk?

They also had a very strong defense in '95 and '96, an improving second TE in Marcus Pollard, and they picked up two promising WR in the second round after drafting Manning. They had just hired the best personel man in the league in Bill Polian, one of the best offensive minds in football in OC Tom Moore, and the only coach to ever be successful in New Orleans, Jim Mora (also a Manning family friend apparently).

The Colt's don't get much respect so I'm sure it was easy to miss at the time, but it was absolutely a super situation for Manning. There is no way you can possibly compare the situation in San Diego to the Situation in Indy at the time of the 98 draft.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #599
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
John Clayton of ESPN disagrees (he's called the Falcons one of the WINNERS of the draft so far).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/d...ohn&id=1789278

Atlanta Falcons: Things broke right for the Falcons. Owner Arthur Blank hoped to get Roy Williams in the first round, but he ended up getting much, much more. DeAngelo Hall is the potential shutdown cornerback the Falcons needed for new coach Jim Mora Jr. The big move was trading up in the lower part of the first round for wide receiver Michael Jenkins. Jenkins and Peerless Price give Michael Vick adequate weapons. Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett give them a great running attack. And they got a good young quarterback to groom in Matt Schaub.

I don't know about Clayton's analysis. When Atlanta's trade up was announced, I was really worried that RaShaun Woods wouldn't last until the 49ers' pick. Many people had Woods higher on their list than Jenkins, and some people don't think Jenkins is a very good complement to Price on the other side. I don't think that trade-up was a very good idea, but it's nowhere near the level of bone-headedness that was the Giants' or Bills' moves, in my opinion.