Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #551
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, what's the deal with NHL TV rights?

did I read that they haven't gotten any broadcast rights negotiated yet (including DirecTV)? I would be really annoyed if all this finally got resolved and then I couldn't have my Center Ice Package.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM   #552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just assumed the Center Ice package would be there, but the nationally televised games were in jeopardy. I guess I didn't realize they had to renegotiate the Center ice deals, too. That WOULD suck, and would lose them any fans, like me, that they picked up over the past 5 years or so.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #553
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I just assumed the Center Ice package would be there, but the nationally televised games were in jeopardy. I guess I didn't realize they had to renegotiate the Center ice deals, too. That WOULD suck, and would lose them any fans, like me, that they picked up over the past 5 years or so.

I'm not sure that I'm right on that - I just thought I read something that the satellite package hadn't been negotiated yet.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #554
bob
College Starter

Wings signed Mathieu Schneider, 2 years, $6.6 million.

Wings have $11.5 million to spend on about 11 players, including restricted free agents Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall, plus a starting goalie.

They are talking to Chelios, but he'd be on the third unit. Also have been talking to Osgood's agent.

I wish they didn't lose Mathieu Dandenault.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #555
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sportsnet says Neidermayer to the Ducks.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #556
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Martin Lapointe is a Blackhawk, 3 yrs $7.2 mil.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #557
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Reports out of Buffalo saying the Sabres have finally gotten into the act, signing veteran Teppo Numminen for one year.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #558
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

As for the TV deal, ESPN (ESPN2 actually) has shown interest again. SpikeTV, USA Network, and OLN have also shown interest, with OLN making the biggest charge because Comcast wants to rebadge it as a national sports network.

Last edited by TazFTW : 08-04-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #559
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

So what are the teams that have done basically jack shiznit so far?

-Detroit
-Buffalo
-Nashville
-Carolina
-Washington
-Devils
-Ottawa
-St. Louis

Would suck to have been a fan of any of those teams (for this week), IMO.

~rpi-fan
Old 08-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #560
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think the 'Hawks over paid on LaPointe at $2.4 million a season. I love Marty. Always have. He had some great moments as a Wing, none better than that beauty of a slapshot in the '97 Western Conference finals that blew apart Roy's catching glove and ended up in the net. Now that I am thinking about it, I would have to say that '97 Western Conference Finals series is perhaps my favorite play-off Wings playoff series of all time. So many great games (though Game 5 was very bad). I have all these games on tape somewhere. Perhaps I will re-watch them at some point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #561
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan

-Devils

~rpi-fan

It does.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 AM   #562
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

-Detroit
-Buffalo
-Nashville
-Carolina
-Washington
-Devils
-Ottawa
-St. Louis

~rpi-fan

Yes it does...

It's especially frustrating when teams in similar sized markets (ie: Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus) are just signing guys at will. Buffalo is in decent shape at forward but still need a puck moving defenseman in the worst way. I'm not holding my breath on picking up a guy like Hamrlik or Rafalski but I'm hopeful the club can get someone to man the point on the powerplay. Hell, I'll even take Spacek!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #563
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Reports out of Buffalo saying the Sabres have finally gotten into the act, signing veteran Teppo Numminen for one year.

not sure I'd call that "getting into the act"
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #564
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Seeing the way some teams with mild cap trouble has acted, has made me grateful for what the Islanders did.

Basically, the changes we're making are:

-Zhitnik, Sopel, Satan, York

for:

-Aucoin and Peca

I can definitely live with that -- we get a good deal younger, and basically get 4 players of roughly equivalent ability for the price of two.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #565
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Yes it does...

It's especially frustrating when teams in similar sized markets (ie: Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus) are just signing guys at will. Buffalo is in decent shape at forward but still need a puck moving defenseman in the worst way. I'm not holding my breath on picking up a guy like Hamrlik or Rafalski but I'm hopeful the club can get someone to man the point on the powerplay. Hell, I'll even take Spacek!

News from Finland say Spacek has already signed with Chicago. So scratch that. Maybe you'll have Numminen as that puck moving defenseman. Why not give Jyrki Lumme a call as well, he just came out of retirement to play in Finland

Last edited by riz : 08-04-2005 at 10:03 AM.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #566
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:

-Detroit
-Buffalo
-Nashville
-Carolina
-Washington
-Devils
-Ottawa
-St. Louis

~rpi-fan

*waves*

Forgot somebody.

Honestly though, while it is somewhat disheartening to see all these players go elsewhere, it's not like I'm cleaning my glock and hoping for a clear line of sight to JFJ's office like Damian Cox, Steve Simmons et al (ie, Toronto media) seem to assume we all are. The Leafs are what they are for this year...given who we still had under contract and the amount of space it left us with, I think only the truly deluded ever had any real belief that Neidermayer, Forsberg, etc. (any *one* of them, let alone all) would actually end up here.

O'Neill was a nice pickup. Allison, and if you want to assume, Lindros (not a sure thing, I don't think) would do nicely. I heard Rafalski mentioned in the same breath as the Leafs this morning, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Whatever...all in all, I'm content to let the other guys fall all over themselves this week, as I think many of them are going to be in a world of hurt in two years, if not sooner. I can even live with the Leafs not making the playoffs this year (but I think they will). One, I'm just happy to have hockey back, and two, I think the Leafs will be in outstanding position cap-wise next off-season, when people more fully understand the implications of the new CBA (note: *more* fully, not "fully" ).
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #567
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think there are two schools of thought here - one, sign the best players to make a splash, look to fill in the gaps with scrubs; and two, sit back, let the other teams sign guys to overpriced deals, get an idea of what the true market should be, maybe even take a step or three back in 2005-06, and be much more prepared than the other teams to take advantage of the knowledge gained this year during next year's free agent period.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #568
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Why not give Jyrki Lumme a call as well, he just came out of retirement to play in Finland

*shudder*
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #569
Karim
College Starter

I'm surprised at the York for Peca deal. I always thought York was a key cog in the Oilers offence who could play on either left wing or centre. He's deadly on the PP and has speed to burn. I know he's the guy I would always watch when we were playing the Oilers. I'm probably undervaluing Peca but I never saw him as a #1 centre which is what he's going to be in Edmonton judging by his salary.

And how about this beauty in the Niedermayer deal:
The Ducks will also announce they have re-signed Rob for 4 years at 2 million per and industry sources suggest this may have been part of the deal.

Brutal. What is it with Burke and brothers? We had Rob in Calgary at $2.1 and it was the biggest waste. He's a 3rd/4th liner worth no more than $1 million.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #570
General Mike
Pro Starter

If the Devils don't resign Rafalski, someone dies.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 AM   #571
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
not sure I'd call that "getting into the act"

Oh so true...

Numminen is essentially taking over James Patrick's role with the club and I don't see him being any more than a #4 defenseman this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
News from Finland say Spacek has already signed with Chicago. So scratch that. Maybe you'll have Numminen as that puck moving defenseman. Why not give Jyrki Lumme a call as well, he just came out of retirement to play in Finland

No making fun! I won't be surprised if Regier resigns Patrick, who at 40 years of age skates slower than my grandmother. Team him with Numminen and we have the Geritol connection!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #572
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina did sign Stillman out of Tampa (to show how much of a splash that made, I had to go look it up again just now). But with the self-imposed cap of $28 mil (because they want to feed the vicious cycle of losing money, therefore they have to take revenue sharing, but they can't spend to win, otherwise they won't take part in revenue sharing, therefore the team keeps losing, thus the team doesn't sell tickets, and so forth), Carolina fans (there are a few of them) are all but resigned at this point that there will be no effort made to spark any interest whatsoever in the team.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #573
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Ferguson can't win. If he had signed any of these big-ticket guys, and/or Roberts/Niewendyk, I bet Cox had a column all ready to go about how the Leafs were still stuck in the big-spending ways.

Right now he's being painted as timid and gun-shy. But in the same breadth, he's criticized for a bold move like Leetch. Other than Brian Cashman there may not be a guy in sports who's in more of a can't-win spot.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #574
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

-Detroit
-Buffalo
-Nashville
-Carolina
-Washington
-Devils
-Ottawa
-St. Louis

~rpi-fan

Well, many Wings fans are bemoaning this week. They are pissed at the "dismantling of great teams in this new age of enforced parity" and how the new CBA is all geared to help the "lower tier" teams at the expense of the "upper tier" teams.

Yes, certain teams are forced to dismantle because of the cap. But are these really "great" teams? Was the Detroit team that lost in the first and seconds of the playoffs in 2003 and 2004, respectively, a "great" team? Or the Colorado team that suffered the exact same fate in 2003 and 2004 a "great" team? Or the Toronto team the, again, suffered the EXACT same fate in 2003 and 2004 a "great" team? Or were these teams just a collection of over-paid stars, some (many?) of which were past their primes? In fact, I have argued (perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else), that I firmly believe the only "big budget" team that actually won the Cup thanks to July/August free agent moves was the 2002 Detroit Red Wings. Other than that, most of the "let's buy a Cup" experiments failed (The Turgeon/Guerin era in Dallas, Weight/Tkachuk in St. Louis, The RANGERS, all those guys in Philly, Toronto, etc.). And, in the Wings' defense (I will always defend the Wings), they didn't over-pay any of their free agents and the core of the team was built via the draft and legitimate trades.

As for the "lower tier" vs. "upper tier" argument. This has a little more truth in it. If, by, "upper tier" you mean teams with big budgets, this list, over the last few years, would probably include: Detroit, Philly, the Rangers, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, and Toronto. Then, I guess, you would have some "middle tier" teams with mid-ranged budgets and then the "lower tier" teams with the smaller budgets.

So far, in the "new" NHL, certain upper tier teams have struggled. Toronto lost Nieuwendyk and Roberts and, besides the O'Neill trade (which I really like, especially at his salary), haven't done much (though apparently Jason "China Doll" Allison is on his way). St. Louis was forced to dump it's best player in Pronger. Detroit bought out three guys and lost a some to free agency. They have yet to bring in anyone of note. Colorado has suffered the most, at this time, losing corner-stone franchise guys in Foote and Forsberg.

On the other hand, Dallas, while not bringing in any new "big name" guys, has retained Zubov and Modano and really haven't lost any players of note. The Rangers have brought in a few players. Philly, however, has been perhaps THE most active team thus far, bringing in Hatcher, Rathje, and Forsberg. Yes, they did buy out Amonte and LeClair, but neither player is what he once was.

So, to date, some upper tier teams have suffered and others really haven't. The difference, of course, being what teams did prior to the lockout. Certain teams, like Detroit, Colorado, St. Louis, and Toronto, signed their players to big, long-term deals (eg, Lidstrom or Draper) or traded for players who had big, long-term deals (eg, Lang). These teams did this with full knowledge that a lockout was likely and the financial nature of the league was due to change drastically. They didn't know what the cap would be (or if there would even be a cap), but they new it was going to be a "brave, new world." They decided to take a risk, make a run at the Cup at the time, and hope things turned out for the best. Others, like Philly, played it a bit differently and had some cap room to play with.

As for the mid and lower tier teams, most of these teams either had smaller payrolls to begin with or took the cautious approach because of the great unknown that was the post-CBA world. So, of course, when things kicked off on Monday they had plenty of room to work with. So teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, and Columbus were the teams that actually had the cap space to go out and sign big name guys to pretty good deals. Bully for them.

It seems when most people talk about how the CBA is geared towards "lower tier" teams they always couch it in terms of the NHL trying to generate fan interest in non-traditional hockey markets (Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, etc.) at the expense of the big, established markets (Toronto, Detroit, etc.). This is true to some extent. The cap creates parity, which, in turn, handicaps big market teams and helps smaller market teams. That's how caps work. But, what is being missed, is that two of the most active "lower tier" teams are teams that have been around a long time and have an amazing fan base. Of course, I'm refering to Calgary and Edmonton. They have been two of the most active teams thus far and I think it's great to see. It must have been incredibly painful to be an Oiler fan the last 10 years or so. To see so much talent (Guerin, Weight, CuJo, etc.) flourish in Edmonton only to be forced to be traded away because the Oil couldn't afford it. Is Chicago considered a "lower tier" team? Yes, they have struggled of late, but they are an Original Six franchise. If the team plays well, the fans exist.

Thanks to Illitch the Wings are now an upper tier team. But let's not forget the "dark years." There was about 20+ years there, from the 60's to the mid-80's (the "Dead Things" era) where the Wings (despite their loft history as one of the Original Six) were ANYTHING but an upper tier team. They were a freaking joke.

I think the salary cap is a good thing in sports. It has made the NFL the most popular sport right now because each year fans of every team can get excited about their potential, free agent acquisitions, etc, etc. Then look at a capless sport, for example, Premiereship soccer in England. For this first few years after the big satelite-TV money started flowing in, English soccer was basically a two horse race: Man U vs. Arsenal, with the rest of the teams scrambling for shots at Europe. Then, two years back, it became a three team race: Man U, Arsenal, and Chelsea. Why? Because that Russian billionaire bought Chelsea and went out and bought the best players he could.

Success in sports shouldn't be based on who has the biggest wallet. Success should be the result of hard work, talent, skill, etc., both on the ice/field and off it. Teams should be rewarded for having great scouting, drafting, and player development. While luck certainly plays a part, those things do take skill and talent. Look at the Patroits, for example. They appear to have a great scouting staff, they draft well, they execute well, and they have good players. They have earned their success because of talented folks off the field and on it. Not because Bob Kraft has more money than the next guy.

There are going to be growing pains with this. Teams will struggle to figure out what system works best. In the begining, as we are seeing, teams with good, cheap young talent (mostly those teams that have had higher draft picks, but Philly has Cater and Richardson) and who played the payroll game conservatively are thriving at the moment, while teams with older, more expensive talent, who may have took some pre-lockout risks are having a tough go at it.

Man is this a long and rambling post. I don't even know if its coherent or makes sense. I shouldn't drink so much coffee.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #575
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm surprised at the York for Peca deal. I always thought York was a key cog in the Oilers offence who could play on either left wing or centre. He's deadly on the PP and has speed to burn. I know he's the guy I would always watch when we were playing the Oilers. I'm probably undervaluing Peca but I never saw him as a #1 centre which is what he's going to be in Edmonton judging by his salary.

The Ducks will also announce they have re-signed Rob for 4 years at 2 million per and industry sources suggest this may have been part of the deal.

Brutal. What is it with Burke and brothers? We had Rob in Calgary at $2.1 and it was the biggest waste. He's a 3rd/4th liner worth no more than $1 million.

The knock on York has been that the combination of the way he plays the game, high energy, great speed, etc., and his wee size makes him break down/wear down by the season's end.

I agree though, Peca does look to be the Oilers' #1 center (not too many other options out there) and he may struggle to fill that role.

I find it odd too. Rob Niedermayer is making $2.1. Marty Lapointe $2.4. And Jeff O'Neill only $1.5. Granted Jeff struggled in '03-04, but this guy has scored 40+ goals in a season and 30+ goals twice. He's really been the bargain of the "new" NHL thus far.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #576
bbor
Pro Starter

JFJ is waiting for Vinny to be a F.A next season

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #577
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
JFJ is waiting for Vinny to be a F.A next season
Good plan... target the guy who desperately wants to play for the Habs.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #578
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Seeing the way some teams with mild cap trouble has acted, has made me grateful for what the Islanders did.

Basically, the changes we're making are:

-Zhitnik, Sopel, Satan, York

for:

-Aucoin and Peca

I can definitely live with that -- we get a good deal younger, and basically get 4 players of roughly equivalent ability for the price of two.

I still think Mike Milbury is a complete tard, but yeah, I really like the moves the Isle made
Old 08-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #579
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
[i]The Ducks will also announce they have re-signed Rob for 4 years at 2 million per and industry sources suggest this may have been part of the deal.

Jesus. I saw that quickly and assumed it was $2M total ($500,000 per year). and I thought that amount was just about right.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #580
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I keep hearing the Rangers signed Ville Nieminen and someone saying it is on Sportsnet but I don't see anything on Sportsnet.

I hate Ville Nieminen.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #581
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I keep hearing the Rangers signed Ville Nieminen and someone saying it is on Sportsnet but I don't see anything on Sportsnet.

I hate Ville Nieminen.

Yes. I too hate Ville Nieminen. He is dirty.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #582
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
so is that Eklund douchebag

awesome
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #583
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

I hate Ville Nieminen.

He is a good grinder and has a good attitude. He may not be a goal scorer but he gets a few of them as well and will be a pain to play against.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #584
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Yes. I too hate Ville Nieminen. He is dirty.

reminiscent of Darcy Tucker. a total sleazeball you hate...but secretly kind of wish he was on your team.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #585
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dallas seems to be concentrating on signing most of it's numerous RFA's...and some ain't gonna come cheap.
Quote:
Restricted Free Agents: Jason Arnott, Dan Ellis, John Erskine, Dan Jancevski, Niko Kapanen, Junior Lessard, Antti Miettinen, Brenden Morrow, Steve Ott, Mike Smith.

Must have Brenden Morrow and Steve Ott.
Likely will resign Niko Kapanen, Erskine and Jancevski.
If building for the future, they can't let Ellis, Smith, Lessard or Miettinen go.
I *believe* they have plans for Arnott, but I can't be sure. After all of this, and with Morrow due for a big raise, they don't have much wiggle room.

Quote:
Unrestricted Free Agents: Rob DiMaio, Don Sweeney, Patrick Traverse, Ron Tugnutt, Scott Young, Valeri Bure, Lubomir Sekeras, Shayne Corson, David Oliver, Blake Sloan.

Out of this group, I would like to see Bure and/or Young back, but wouldn't expect to see that. I just don't think there is muc money to go around.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 08-04-2005 at 11:42 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #586
Simms
FOBL Commish

Roenick to LA is official.

Unconfirmed report just coming in has Rafalski, Dan McGillis, and Vladimir Malakhov to New Jersey (or back to NJ in Rafalski's case).
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #587
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
reminiscent of Darcy Tucker. a total sleazeball you hate...but secretly kind of wish he was on your team.

I've always liked Darcy Tucker. I agree he is a sleazeball, but I've always liked him. Then again, if he had played for the Forces Of Darkness(tm), I imagine I would be whistling a different tune.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #588
Simms
FOBL Commish

Also....

Andre Roy to the Pens (no Domi then, I presume?)

Daymond Langkow to the Flames
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #589
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms

Unconfirmed report just coming in has Rafalski, Dan McGillis, and Vladimir Malakhov to New Jersey (or back to NJ in Rafalski's case).

thats good to know. malakhov would be a return trip, too. who is mcgillis? know the name, cant place him.

so:

stevens, white, rafalski, martin, malakhov, mcgillis.

phi is gonna whoop our ass this year.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #590
Simms
FOBL Commish

McGillis was in Philly last year. Big guy, solid.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #591
Swaggs
Coordinator

What type of player is Roy?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #592
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
McGillis was in Philly last year. Big guy, solid.

Boston, actually. Philadelphia was 3 teams ago.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #593
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Roenick and a third for "future considerations".
I would imagine this would be somewhat substantial?

nice moves by the Devils.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #594
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs

Think Steve McKenna... 4th line, big tough guy.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #595
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Goon.....also known as a Crosby babysitter

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #596
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Goon.....also known as a Crosby babysitter

I assumed Crosby's dad would just not let him suit up for any games where there might be some rough stuff.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #597
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Boston, actually. Philadelphia was 3 teams ago.

Seriously? Yeesh.

I've always pictured him as a Flyer for some reason.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #598
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Roenick and a third for "future considerations".
I would imagine this would be somewhat substantial?

nice moves by the Devils.

Prolly just a 3rd or 4th rounder,depending on what kinda season he has.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #599
bbor
Pro Starter

I still would like to see Ziggy in a Leaf uniform.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #600
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Basically a goon who isn't much of a fighter. He'll drop the gloves 30 times a year for you but won't win many. He's not Matt Barnaby bad, but let's jut say he's definitely not Geroges Laraque good either.

Not much of a player, but does have a big slapshot (that he can't control). Could be be counted on to play stupid in his early years and was basically run out of Ottawa even though they were desperate for toughness, but may have matured since then.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-04-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote