Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #551
bhlloy
Coordinator

If only Reading had managed to convert their try, they would have got a tie
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #552
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

at least they would have gotten the bonus point loss if it had been a league game...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #553
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

With a goal in the League Cup today, Ryan Giggs has now scored in 23 consecutive seasons.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #554
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

This isn't good at all. Team really needs Donovan, even just to qualify.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1210888/landon-donovan-'always'-in-u.s.-plans,-jurgen-klinsmann-says?cc=5901

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #555
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

landycakes
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #556
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Give me a break. the guy's basically played non stop over the last 2.5 years. Every January, he's off to Everton or whatever. He's scored one of the most important goals in USA history. And we still have to hear him called such crap?

He';s burnt out, and needs a few months or a year off.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #557
MrBug708
Head Coach

Clint has probably passed him as the best player on the team, but there isn't anyone else on the team that is better than a healthy Donovan
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #558
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ian Holloway named as Crystal Palace manager
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #559
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If only Reading had managed to convert their try, they would have got a tie

I'm amazed no-one has looked into this to see if it was a guerilla marketing match fix by Heinz
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #560
rowech
Pro Starter

This Arsenal team is so uninspired. Best way I can put it. Maybe it's time for a change at the top.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #561
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man Utd didn't play well but it was still enough, Arsenal were so flat.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #562
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This is from yesterday but I just saw it, welcome news for me.

Quote:
MIAMI (AP) -- BeIN Sport says it has reached agreements to be carried in English and Spanish by Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks, deals that will expand the U.S. distribution for broadcasts on Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A and France's Ligue 1.

BeIN Sport, owned by the Al-Jazeera Sport Media Network, acquired rights to those leagues this season and at launch was available on DirecTV and the DISH Network. It added Comcast Corp. later in August.

Time Warner Cable spokeswoman Maureen Huff said Friday she did not know which of the company's systems will carry BeIN and when it will launch.

BeIN Sport also has rights to four U.S. World Cup qualifiers next year, the games at Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica and Panama.

Read more: BeIN Sport TV channel to air on Time Warner, Bright House - Soccer - SI.com
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #563
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ugh. Arsenal needs to mix up the lineup especially up top. Podolski and Giroud are not a match.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #564
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This Arsenal team is so uninspired. Best way I can put it. Maybe it's time for a change at the top.

When you say at the top, are you talking about Wenger or Kroenke?

Though it says something about both clubs when an Arsenal player is asking for a Manchester United player's jersey.... at halftime.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #565
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
When you say at the top, are you talking about Wenger or Kroenke?

Though it says something about both clubs when an Arsenal player is asking for a Manchester United player's jersey.... at halftime.

I think Wenger needs to go.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #566
rowech
Pro Starter

Although it could be a matter of being too tight fisted I don't think this team has any kind of personality and is just going to be lacking in several ways.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #567
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

There's hail in Swansea right now.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #568
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does anyone know of a site that publishes wage bills for EPL teams?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #569
miami_fan
Coordinator

So now the refs in the EPL are thinking about a strike against Chelsea?

Officials considering boycott of Chelsea matches - ESPN FC

As incompetent as some of these officials are, they do very little to protect themselves and the PL does even less to protect. Hell, I might even advocate for the refs to acquire a bit of Joey Crawford attitude to get control of the game.

Yes, you read that correctly and yes I still dislike Joey Crawford immensely.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #570
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, Juventus's undefeated streak is over....
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #571
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
So, Juventus's undefeated streak is over....

Alessio is a shit gameday coach. They should put Carrera back in charge.

The last goal they gave up cuz they threw everyone forward trying for the draw, so I'm moderately okay with that. They should have put Inter away after getting them down in the first minute, but didn't stomp them down and gave up far too much possession.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go kill about 10,000 soldiers in Assassin's Creed before I can interact with real people again.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #572
Grover
Pro Starter

Hammers draw City! Had a clearly onside goal called off, should have taken it 1-nil.

I'm forever blowing bubbles; pretty bubbles in the airrrrr!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #573
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I have no idea what happened to Arsenal after the international break. Just before that, there were flaws but the team was still looking quite good. Immediately after the break? Completely flat, disinterested ... just perplexing.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #574
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Hammers draw City! Had a clearly onside goal called off, should have taken it 1-nil.

I'm forever blowing bubbles; pretty bubbles in the airrrrr!

If West Ham had been screwed over like that against United instead of City, the media would be having a field day and people would cry about SAF bribing refs or some other complete nonsense. Funny how that always works.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #575
kingfc22
Head Coach

Fantastic goal by Suarez.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to watch the Sporting/Dynamo game today. Really hope that Sporting can put in a good effort today and take care of business.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #577
Leroy Veritas
Banned

These Ajax kits look like the worst possible combination of all the elements the Seattle Sounders have ever used. If they eliminate city today, all will be forgiven for wearing that hot mess.

EDIT: Looks like they're going to be forgiven.

Last edited by Leroy Veritas : 11-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #578
whomario
Pro Starter

Dortmund up 2:1 at Bernabeu Shades of 97 ?
(Bundesliga champs 95 and 96, then a weaker league season but CL in 97, now they won the Bundesliga 11 and 12 and now having a weaker league season but in the CL ... )

2 awesome goals by Reus and Götze
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #579
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It looked like Weidenfeller should have been able to make a save from Ozil's free kick.

Man City came from behind to draw Ajax and they still have a chance to progress.

If any of the English clubs are knocked out early (and finish third), I wonder if they will still be taunted with "Thursday Nights, Channel 5" or if something will replace it now that Channel 5 no longer has the Europa League rights in the UK.

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #580
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Terrible shocking refereeing cost City a great comeback.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #581
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Yup, the referee won that game.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #582
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Barca has decided not to include defending set pieces to its match preparation.

1-0 Celtic
Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #583
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It looked like Weidenfeller should have been able to make a save from Ozil's free kick.

definitely Especially the way the Dortmund defense usually dominates in the air he ought to have considered that more (and then of course followed through rather than specualting ...)

Then again, he had at least 2 saves that were almost "un-saveable", especially the 1 foot save in the middle of the 2nd half where he made the save going in the oposite direction with his upper body but got his foot out to the other side.

Overall Dortmund didn´t play well in the 2nd half, problem was that Lewandowski had maybe his weakest day in months in terms of securing the ball and Gundogan was abysmal, those 2 are normally the players Dortmund relies on when it comes to controlling play and giving the quick hitters (Götze, Reus, Pisczek) that bit of time to get forward.

Still, basically all they need is 1 tie unless crazy stuff happens elsewhere...

Bayern just now having one of it´s patented "once they get going, they really get going" games, up 5:0 over Lille at the half (and scored all 3 within the first 33 minutes)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #584
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

snow game tonight in NY
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #585
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the Quakes are throwing away the season at the moment.

Galaxy are taking it to them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #586
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really frustrated about the late no-call in the KC-Houston game. KC played the ball forward and the Houston defender stuck out his leg and tripped him in the box. Young referee didn't blow the whistle and it cost KC the opportunity for extra time. Certainly were other opportunities, but that was a killer.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #587
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Juventus Football: 5 Reasons Why Juve's Midfield Is the Best in the World | Bleacher Report
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #588
Grover
Pro Starter

Man, letting Pogba go for nothing might be one of the biggest gaffe's of Ferguson's brilliant management career.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #589
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Pogba refused to sign a new contract, SAF wanted to keep him.

Juventus does not have the best midfield in the world. Real Madrid and Barcelona are definitely better in that department.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #590
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Right, but it was obvious Ferguson needed to try new things in midfield over the past... 3-4 years. Sure, re-signing Scholes worked, but Ferguson refused time and time again to give Pogba any sort of run in the first team.

I'd want to leave too.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #591
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Pogba had only been promoted from the academy to the reserves at the start of last season, he wasn't ready to start EPL games or anything at that point. Man Utd got knocked out of the domestic cups early last year so there weren't as many chances for backups/reserves to get as much playing time compared to most seasons. And it seems that he'd agreed to join Juve well before last season ended so I can understand not giving him many minutes when he was halfway out the door, especially in the second half of the season where Man Utd only had league games to play and where every point was crucial in a tight race. He's getting playing time for Juventus now but that's after another year of experience (can be big at that age) and in a weaker league.

Right now losing Pogba wouldn't even make the top dozen bad transfer decisions of SAF's reign. Compared to selling Jaap Stam in his prime and replacing him with an ancient and practically stationary Laurant Blanc, going through so many goalkeepers including dross like Massimo Taibi and Roy Carroll in the years between Peter Schmeichel and Edwin van der Sar, spending million of pounds on players like Bebe and Eric Djemba-Djemba, I could go on.

If Pogba does go on to become a fixture in the French national team, is a top midfielder for years to come, etc. then it will look worse, sure. But it's not like management didn't rate him, they tried to resign him for months but just couldn't.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #592
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Juventus does not have the best midfield in the world. Real Madrid and Barcelona are definitely better in that department.

I could argue that all day. RM and Barca have more "star power" in their midfields sure, but it's all about the function of the midfield within the team tactic, and in that regard, Juve's is right there with them. Did they not just come off a run of 49 unbeaten league games (and only 1 non-league loss in the last year+)?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #593
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pogba's awesome. Love him. And Marrone too. The two of them will mean that even after Pirlo hangs it up in a couple more years we'll still have a midfield foursome that is fearsome.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #594
kingfc22
Head Coach

WTF! Why didn't Arsenal let Giroud take that PK. He's the one with all the confidence at the moment. What a wasted opportunity to get 3 pts.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #595
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
WTF! Why didn't Arsenal let Giroud take that PK. He's the one with all the confidence at the moment. What a wasted opportunity to get 3 pts.

Wondered the same thing.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #596
Critch
lolzcat

Justice was done, joke penalty decision.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #597
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

why wasn't there more interest in berbatov? 6 mil (to fulham of all places) seems nuts. attitude?
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #598
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sit the fuck down Smalling!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #599
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm beginning to believe Man Yoo is just fucking with us and toying with our emotions..

"Oh Noes! We've gone down a goal/two goals against lesser opposition again! Surely the end of Sir Alex's dynasty is finally at hand... PSYCHE! We're just going to turn it on and win late.. AGAIN. Suck it, losers"
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #600
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Juve 6 - Pescara 1

Still over 30 minutes left.

I think the guys needed the loss to release a lot of tension. 10 goals in the last 145 minutes.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote