Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #551
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Putin would love an excuse to "punish" Chechans without U.S. objection.

Given the charming nature of the separatists, I'm not sure how much objection I'd have had prior to the events in Boston.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #553
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Damn right. We should build some improvements in whatever place he is from!

This post has not gotten enough love.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #554
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Not a chance this extends outside these two.

Disagree. Chechan terrorists are nasty motherfuckers. They don't do things on a small scale. They blow up schools and sports stadiums and suicide bombs in airports and shit.

To me this seems too small at the moment.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #555
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Disagree. Chechan terrorists are nasty motherfuckers. They don't do things on a small scale. They blow up schools and sports stadiums and suicide bombs in airports and shit.

The guys robbed a convenience store earlier today. I dunno, they just seem like isolated nuts to me at this point.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #556
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know what doesn't add up for me right now?

The casual stroll away from the bomb site that we see in those pictures & the panicky reactions of the two suspects last night.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #557
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The casual stroll away from the bomb site that we see in those pictures & the panicky reactions of the two suspects last night.

It's possible they no plans of making it this far.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #558
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Big difference between being able to hide in a crowd vs. being the one targeted. Table has turned in that regard.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #559
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Yeah, in Russia. If anything America is their ally, we condemn Russia whenever they operate there. If it does trace back its because Russia is manipulating things. But it won't, not a chance.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #560
BishopMVP
Coordinator

PS - Bad run of luck for BU Med School lately. The Craigslist killer, a SARS outbreak, now this.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #561
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

CNN says suspect might be in a gray Honda CRV

MASS licence plate: 316 ES9
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #562
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Big difference between being able to hide in a crowd vs. being the one targeted. Table has turned in that regard.

Just doesn't feel ... right to me.

I don't have an answer -- drugs (before or after the bombing)? Some wrinkle in their post-bomb planning that we don't yet know about? Something.

But the adrenaline rush that would have had to accompany the bombing effort seems like it should have triggered more reaction if these were guys prone to panic. Instead, that stroll away by the white hat guy seems downright stoic.

I'm not ready to be fitted for a tinfoil hat or anything, I'm just saying that I think we're missing some big piece of info (so far)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #563
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

NBC reporting that suspect is in the building that is surrounded.

Also saying that they are now looking for two additional accomplices.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #564
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
If in the future this is found to be funded or planned by a terrorist cell in Chechnya, do you think we (as in the US) would take unilateral or drone action in Russian territory? I would think that if we consulted with the Russians, they would want to perform the operation themselves. I am jumping way ahead here, but the thought has been swirling in my head since this started last night.

There's no way Russia allows us to do anything
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #565
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just doesn't feel ... right to me.

I don't have an answer -- drugs (before or after the bombing)? Some wrinkle in their post-bomb planning that we don't yet know about? Something.

But the adrenaline rush that would have had to accompany the bombing effort seems like it should have triggered more reaction if these were guys prone to panic. Instead, that stroll away by the white hat guy seems downright stoic.

I'm not ready to be fitted for a tinfoil hat or anything, I'm just saying that I think we're missing some big piece of info (so far)
I think MBBF is on the right track here. I'm sure there was some "serenity" in their actions on Monday. The panic doesn't seem to have set in until they realized they were in the cross hairs of the authorities.

Witness say Oswald looked perfectly calm leaving the book depository, then panicked when he realized they were looking for him and saw a police officer eying him suspiciously and shot him. Horrifyingly similar circumstance.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #566
whomario
Pro Starter

@ JonInMiddleGA:

I think it´s sth along the lines of being perfectly able to plan the act of placing the bomb, but everything after being unknown/unplanned by them.

Also, why are people even discussing actions against a whole region when for all we know theese are 2 nuts who happen to be from that area ? I mean, seriously now ... (and that´s not saying the terrorists over there aren´t connected or crazy)
I mean, when someone from Baltimore commits a murder in Dallas, you don´t see people calling for air strikes on Baltimore because since the Wire we all know that they are all gangsters anyway ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-19-2013 at 09:14 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
@ JonInMiddleGA:I think it´s sth along the lines of being perfectly able to plan the act of placing the bomb, but everything after being unknown/unplanned by them.

Maybe I'm just not buying the notion that there wasn't a plan for the aftermath.

Quote:
Also, why are people even discussing actions against a whole region when for all we know theese are 2 nuts who happen to be from that area ? I mean, seriously now ... (and that´s not saying the terrorists over there aren´t connected or crazy)

At least as far as the FOFC goes, I think that discussion seems to have been practical/hypothetical, not particularly a recommendation. As I said to my wife a few minutes ago, a dollar will get you a donut that the Russian "investigation" into any possible connection will result in one or more separatists being killed "while resisting arrest". That's just realpolitik.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #568
Desnudo
Coordinator

Interesting bio on the younger brother. Sounds like a classic "never saw it coming" person.

Suspects described as brothers from Russian Caucasus - CNN.com
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #569
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

My thoughts were completely hypothetical. Obviously their birthplace probably has very little bearing on anything. The thought just popped in my head, so I posted it to get other people's opinion. You are right though, we didn't bomb Saudi Arabia after 9/11 or New York after the Oklahoma City bombing.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #570
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
At least as far as the FOFC goes, I think that discussion seems to have been practical/hypothetical, not particularly a recommendation. As I said to my wife a few minutes ago, a dollar will get you a donut that the Russian "investigation" into any possible connection will result in one or more separatists being killed "while resisting arrest". That's just realpolitik.

Totally waiting for Putin to come on offering his deepest sympathies, and will use the full resources of the Russian military to 'investigate' any further threats from Chechnya.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #571
MrBug708
Head Coach

Wondering about motive. Nationally, Chechnyans wouldn't have any bone to pick with Americans and anyhow these guys are essentially naturalized Americans

Last edited by MrBug708 : 04-19-2013 at 09:28 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #572
Autumn
Head Coach

It's all totally surreal, not something that would happen right here in Boston. A city-wide lockdown? Guys throwing bombs at cops on the run? It feels like a movie.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #573
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

How long are they planning on keeping the city locked down for? This is ridiculous.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #574
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How long are they planning on keeping the city locked down for? This is ridiculous.

They said the reasoning behind it is that they believe that the suspect and/or possible accomplices are people that would actively look to take hostages and create a far worse situation.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #575
Desnudo
Coordinator

The completely unbased picture forming in my head is loner older brother with some screw loose. estranged from family in Maryland. Influences his younger brother who is more socially integrated, but easily coerced into doing what his older brother wants. Older brother plans the thing and pressures younger brother into helping on bomb day. Terrorist link is there, but tenuous as the real motive is the same as other recent tragedies -alienated nut job.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #576
daverick
n00b

I'm sure this impact the immigration bill.
daverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #577
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Wondering about motive. Nationally, Chechnyans wouldn't have any bone to pick with Americans and anyhow these guys are essentially naturalized Americans

Well, if Mother Jones has it right, the answer might be pretty simple

Did Boston Bombing Suspect Post Al Qaeda Prophecy on YouTube? | Mother Jones
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #578
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Interesting bio on the younger brother. Sounds like a classic "never saw it coming" person.

Suspects described as brothers from Russian Caucasus - CNN.com

And then there's the older brother

Ruslan Tsarni, a Maryland man who said he was an uncle of the suspects, had no sympathy for them and no regret that his elder nephew was killed. "Good," he told CNN affiliate WBZ. "He got what he deserved."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #579
Desnudo
Coordinator

Yes - didn't sound exactly suprised
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
And then there's the older brother

Ruslan Tsarni, a Maryland man who said he was an uncle of the suspects, had no sympathy for them and no regret that his elder nephew was killed. "Good," he told CNN affiliate WBZ. "He got what he deserved."

If you saw that interview, that's a misleading picture IMO.

He was clearly emotional about the death of his estranged nephew - who he said had phoned his family for the first time in two years earlier in the day, apparently some sort of reconciliation effort - and this comment seems to be in line with another part of the interview. He sort of choked up when talking about the one that was killed & when the cameraman (off screen) said something to the effect of "we're sorry for your loss" the uncle said "I'm sorry too" ... the exact phrasing escapes me at the moment but what he was pretty clearly saying was an attempt to apologize to the city (the nation?) for the actions of his nephews.

edit to add: I'm saying that the lack of context in the snippet is misleading, not that you posting it is.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-19-2013 at 09:45 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #581
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
It's all totally surreal, not something that would happen right here in Boston. A city-wide lockdown? Guys throwing bombs at cops on the run? It feels like a movie.

This is the kind of shit you see on tv from the middle east. Never thought I would see it right here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #582
Autumn
Head Coach

It's bizarre that these two obivously thought they could get away with this. It seems most terrorists basically expect to get caught or die. These guys are robbing a store and carjacking a car like they're just going to make it over county lines and be safe. A really strange juxtaposition--guys who can make bombs and a plan like this, yet are unaware of how many cameras there are in boston at a marathon?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #583
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

MA Rt. 9 Window Cam on USTREAM: A live look outside my window. Other 24/7

They have a suspect out, old guy with a dead man switch. This is intense.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #584
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Boston PD has someone at gunpoint right now - not the other kid, somebody else. Apparently with a device, waiting for bomb squad to arrive at scene.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #585
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Me and Rain on the same feed.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They have a suspect out, old guy with a dead man switch. This is intense.

Suspect? Or left-behind hostage perhaps?

(totally speculating on my part there, just wondering if there's been a hint of that)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #587
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It's bizarre that these two obivously thought they could get away with this. It seems most terrorists basically expect to get caught or die. These guys are robbing a store and carjacking a car like they're just going to make it over county lines and be safe. A really strange juxtaposition--guys who can make bombs and a plan like this, yet are unaware of how many cameras there are in boston at a marathon?

I guess maybe you just have to have a lot of delusions to think something like this advances your cause or is otherwise a good idea to begin with. And once they pull it off, I can see them maybe being cocky and committing more crimes. They are dumb criminals, ultimately, and ones that might not be entirely tuned in with things like ubiquitous cameras. On that boxing website, one of them said that he hadn't made one American friend because he doesn't understand them. So he's living in a community that more resembles a Chechnyan community than anything we could relate to.

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2013 at 09:58 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #588
lungs
Pro Rookie

Putin will turn the Cossacks loose in the Caucasus region.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #589
daverick
n00b

Appears that the old guy was just an idiot.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #590
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I guess maybe you just have to have a lot of delusions to think something like this advances your cause or is otherwise a good idea to begin with. And once they pull it off, I can see them maybe being cocky and committing more crimes. They are dumb criminals, ultimately, and ones that might not be entirely tuned in with things like ubiquitous cameras. On that boxing website, one of them said that he hadn't made one American friend because he doesn't understand them. So he's living in a community that more resembles a Chechnyan community than anything we could relate to.

Yeah I expect something dumb like this from a regular criminal. But it seems like terrorists have generally accepted their demise. I guess there's variety there too.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #591
daverick
n00b

This is the address that the police just gave out on the scanner.

390 arsenal, watertown, - Google Maps
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #592
mckerney
Coordinator

UMass Dartmouth is being evacuated after finding a suspect connected to bombing is registered as a student there.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #593
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Suspect? Or left-behind hostage perhaps?

(totally speculating on my part there, just wondering if there's been a hint of that)

I hope suspect, I don't want to see some old guy blow-up. They are talking about negotiating with a suspect.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #594
JeeberD
General Manager

Dzokhar has already been reported as being enrolled there...is there another suspect there as well?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #595
Autumn
Head Coach

I missed this earlier if it had been reported, report says the brother ran over his brother.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/one-boston-marathon-bombing-suspect-dead-federal-official-says.html
Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #596
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

They also carjacked someone and withdrew $800 from an ATM with his debit card last night. With that and robbing the 7/11 it seems like they really had no plans to escape but panicked after their photos went out.

Based on them seemingly having more explosives similar to those used at the marathon I wonder if they had originally been planning more bombings in the area.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #597
corbes
College Benchwarmer

My unsupported working theory is that that they didn't go into the convenience store with the intent of committing a robbery, but that they were recognized while they were in the store, and it went downhill from there.

Last edited by corbes : 04-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #598
Autumn
Head Coach

Good point, Corbes. Seems possible.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #599
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Was the carjacking before or after the convenience-store robbery?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #600
Autumn
Head Coach

After.