Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #551
whomario
Pro Starter

Dwight Howard with a very, very revealing game. Get a big body on him, deny him points on the move and heīs just not that good an offensive player. He still has zero offense outside 5 feet, not to speak of a reliable 12-15 foot game... With that and the celtics defending the pick and roll expertly the magic donīt get the open 3s they usually get. They get some, but not as many open looks as usual.
Orlando 6 assists to 17 TOs ...

Last edited by whomario : 05-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #552
TroyF
Coordinator

Orlando needs to get pissed off at themselves and not the refs.

yes, they've got a few bad calls against them. (Paul's three point play, the clear foul on the Nelson three not called is a six point swing), but they are losing because they aren't hitting shots and they are giving up layups. Pure and simple. Boston's offense sucks ass, they still have a run in them if they calm down and hit shots. i think they'll calm down at some point. . . I'm not sure they'll stop giving up layups or hitting threes. they can't hit anything today.

I've watched the Magic play a lot the last few years and can only remember a time or two when they've shot this poorly on wide open shots. Simply amazing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #553
whomario
Pro Starter

just compare how much more the Magic need to scramble on defense compared to the celtics, how much deeper they get sucked in and then apart again on penetration whereas the Celtics move much more efficienlty in their defensive rotations.

Those shot really arenīt that wide open @ TroyF if you look at it again.

Last edited by whomario : 05-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #554
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Dwight Howard with a very, very revealing game. Get a big body on him, deny him points on the move and heīs just not that good an offensive player. With that and the celtics defending the pick and roll expertly the magic donīt get the open 3s they usually get. They get some, but not as many open looks as usual.
Orlando 6 assists to 17 TOs ...

But the Magic ARE getting open threes. They aren't hitting them. I just watched Nelson miss another open three. Lewis missed one in the corner a minute before that. They are getting shots they usually nail and are clanking them.

I will agree with you though, Dwight is playing like pure garbage today. But he has a lot of help from his teammates. I think the only two magic players who can hold their heads up would be VC or Gortat. The rest have been a total joke.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #555
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
just compare how much more the Magic need to scramble on defense compared to the celtics, how much deeper they get sucked in and then apart again on penetration whereas the Celtics move much more efficienlty in their defensive rotations.

Those shot really arenīt that wide open @ TroyF if you look at it again.

I did, I just tivod the last 7 minutes of the third quarter:

Nelson missed three, wide open
VC misses 17 footer, hand up late
Lewis missed three pointer - open
Howard misses layup - defended
JJ misses 19 footer, wide open
Lewis misses 8 footer, hand up late, open
Lewis misses three from the corner - wide open
Nelson misses three from the top - wide open, pass was a kick out
VC misses a layup - defended

9 shots there, 7 are shots the Magic can and do hit on a regular basis. (and no, they wouldn't hit ALL of those shots, but they aren't hurting for open looks either.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #556
TroyF
Coordinator

One thing I really, really like that the Celtics are doing is the attacking the Magic after made baskets. They are running Garnett and Wallace down the floor and forcing the Magic bigs to run like hell to get back. It impacts the Magic on the offensive glass as well. That is a very good coaching move by Doc Rivers.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #557
whomario
Pro Starter

whoa, Sheed just ran a fastbreak

@ Troy F : wasnīt the case in the first half though and i lagged behind in the 2nd to do other stuff, just now caught up Still itīs not the same type of looks they normally get, normally Howard receives way more attention which basically gives them multiple open players every trip.

see ? That was their normal open look

Last edited by whomario : 05-16-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #558
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

@ Troy F : wasnīt the case in the first half though and i lagged behind in the 2nd to do other stuff, just now caught up Still itīs not the same type of looks they normally get, normally Howard receives way more attention which basically gives them multiple open players every trip.

To show you how out of sync Orlando is, Lewis just got a kick out pass from Howard and had a wide open three. . . he passed it off to Pietrus who had to fake a Celtic out to get an open three. He hit that open three. here is Orlando's last run. It's down to ten. It gets back up to 15, this one is over.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #559
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

see ? That was their normal open look

And those are shots they've had ALL day. They've clanked em all. Say what you want about Boston's D, they aren't 4-22 good, which is what Orlando started the game at.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #560
whomario
Pro Starter

Itīs inexcusable that Davis/wallace beat guys like Howard and Lewis up the court on every possession. And boy does Rondo use that to set up open shots, the guy really knows when to make a pass.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #561
TroyF
Coordinator

that was about 45 seconds on Dwight Howard in the lane on that last possession. Allen essentially ends the game.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #562
TroyF
Coordinator

By the way, Cleveland, this is how you finish out a game when you've had your ass kicked on your home court. Things didn't go your way, you are most certainly going to lose the game, and you fight to the finish working your asses off. You don't quit and act like a bunch of spoiled pansies.

Orlando is fine, even if they lose this game. They will win one of the two in Boston (which is why I had the series going five) After the putrid first quarter, they've played Boston to a draw despite playing like absolute garbage. They'll be just fine.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #563
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Itīs inexcusable that Davis/wallace beat guys like Howard and Lewis up the court on every possession. And boy does Rondo use that to set up open shots, the guy really knows when to make a pass.

This kind of takes me back to Deron Williams saying he's the best PG in the game. The way Rondo is playing right now, it's really hard to argue against him. Yes, he can't shoot to save his life, but he's the best defensive PG in the game, makes perfect passes about 90% of the time, hits runners and scores points when Boston needs it. . . just amazing. He's underpaid for the next five years.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #564
TroyF
Coordinator

Lewis with a wide open three that could have cut this to six. . . CLANK. Story of the Magic's night.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #565
whomario
Pro Starter

great run by Orlando, JJ redick to the rescue ?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #566
whomario
Pro Starter

jj had a clear path to the basket, 99% sure rondo would have seen him there when nelson didnīt.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #567
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Even if they don't win this, great comeback by Orlando.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #568
whomario
Pro Starter

still, like Van Gundy said : Boston really had their number through 3 1/2 quarters and theyīd be well advised to pay alot more attention to that period than the 6 good minutes at the end ...
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #569
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So a team goes small and starts beating Boston? Who'd have thunk it? Besides EVERY team in the second half of the NBA season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #570
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I know Rondo has had a great year, but those two possessions he drove towards the end of the game were terrible. He could have burned twenty to thirty seconds on those possessions instead of driving into extreme traffic as soon as he crossed halfcourt.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #571
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know Rondo has had a great year, but those two possessions he drove towards the end of the game were terrible. He could have burned twenty to thirty seconds on those possessions instead of driving into extreme traffic as soon as he crossed halfcourt.

I agree
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #572
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Is there a reason the Lakers-Suns series required a week off for the two teams? I just don't understand it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #573
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there a reason the Lakers-Suns series required a week off for the two teams? I just don't understand it.

Blame the ESPN and ABC executives.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #574
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
still, like Van Gundy said : Boston really had their number through 3 1/2 quarters and theyīd be well advised to pay alot more attention to that period than the 6 good minutes at the end ...

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

After the ridiculous shooting start from Orlando, they outscored Boston 70-61 from the halfway point of the second quarter to the end of the game. That last stretch wasn't 6 minutes either, they scored 41 points in the final 17 minutes of the game.

They simply played better defense and Boston's offense let them back in the game. The Magic missed a ton of open shots even in those last six minutes. (6-14 from the floor, including 0-4 from three point range during the stretch)

If Boston holds Orlando to 4-22 to start every game, they'll win the series easily. The fact the Magic probably had the single worst shooting game they will this series and just ran out of time at the end bodes well for Orlando.

That said, Boston is playing with confidence, Rondo never truly went off, I loved Doc's coaching moves in this game and Boston now has home court? They could pull it off. They are playing at a high level right now. I'm just not sure I'd even be slightly bothered if I'm Orlando. If they play he same game they did yesterday and hit the shots they usually do, I can't see how Boston will be able to keep up with them on the scoreboard.

Last edited by TroyF : 05-17-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #575
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm not sure where this is coming from.

After the ridiculous shooting start from Orlando, they outscored Boston 70-61 from the halfway point of the second quarter to the end of the game. That last stretch wasn't 6 minutes either, they scored 41 points in the final 17 minutes of the game.

Of course they then outscored them in that frame if you factor in the huge run in the 4th quarter. Boston won the first 3 quarters, led by 9 at the half and and led by 16 entering the 4th and still by 12 with 6 minutes to go.
That game can be played both ways
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #576
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Magic had a horrible 1st quarter, encountered stifling defense from the Celtics, couldn't hit open shots that they usually do, and had to deal with referees that allowed a ton of physical contact throughout the game. And they only lost by 4.

Should be a fun series if the Magic get into the groove again.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #577
whomario
Pro Starter

just to be clear : Iīm not saying the Magic didnīt play a bad game or are maxed out with how they played, just saying that they did more things wrong than just missing wide open shots

The Celtics have areas they can improve in as well, Rondo was off and Garnett missed easy shots. They played a horrible 4th quarter where they once more were torn between slowing it down and give the ball to Pierce or keep pushing the tempo and put their faith in Rondoīs hands.
On those last (admittedly bad) drives by Rondo you could literally see the other guys being unsure wether to follow him or wait for him to drible the ball back out to let Pierce handle it.

Itīs no coincidence theyīve been blowing huge leads all season long, they just donīt commit to one strategy or another.

Bynumīs knee is getting worse, is it ? While iīm rooting for the Suns i really hope he gets better fast, like watching him play and he deserves a break.

Robin Lopez expected to start btw, although i donīt expect him to play more than 20 minutes in any case. While itīs nice to have someone at the 5 that not only has the size to battle the Lakers up front but also knows how to finish or run a fastbreak, it still gives them one fewer guy to spread the floor when Nash/Stoudemire run the pick & roll.

Go Suns !

Last edited by whomario : 05-17-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #578
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course they then outscored them in that frame if you factor in the huge run in the 4th quarter. Boston won the first 3 quarters, led by 9 at the half and and led by 16 entering the 4th and still by 12 with 6 minutes to go.
That game can be played both ways

I know, but still, it's the missed shots. It really, really did come down to that one thing in this game. Orlando hits the shots they could have, they would have won the game. If I'm wrong, Boston will show it over the next 3 to 6 games and I'll eat crow. It won't be the first time in my life and I know it won't be the last.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #579
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm rooting for the Suns 100%.

I think Orlando still wins that series. They didn't really play well, didn't use Howard being fouled to their advantage, and still only lost by single digits.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #580
TroyF
Coordinator

I think the Suns can do it. I predicted them to do it. . . but the Lakers have so much size. It's ridiculous how talented they are. Still, I think the Suns have enough. (I gotta believe, I can't be wrong on both finals series.)
Old 05-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #581
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know, but still, it's the missed shots. It really, really did come down to that one thing in this game. Orlando hits the shots they could have, they would have won the game. If I'm wrong, Boston will show it over the next 3 to 6 games and I'll eat crow. It won't be the first time in my life and I know it won't be the last.

And if wishes were horses, beggers could fly.

It never comes down to "that one thing." That's why they play the games Troy.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #582
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would also note that its not as if the Celtics played their best basketball either.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #583
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Exactly Ronnie. In fact, offensively I thought for large stretches of the game the Celtics looked quite poor as well. They can certainly play much much better offensively.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #584
cactusdave
n00b

Quote:
I think the Suns can do it. I predicted them to do it. . . but the Lakers have so much size. It's ridiculous how talented they are. Still, I think the Suns have enough. (I gotta believe, I can't be wrong on both finals series.)
You can and most likely will be wrong most of the time if you pick teams that feature their jump shooters and three point shots over teams that play defense and rebound in championship rounds of the playoffs.

It's the latter that wins championships. Always has been. Always will be.

Not enough playoff tested star power on the Magic or the Suns to get it done. I keep hearing the local media talking about how important Channing Frye is in the Laker series. If it really comes down to Channing Frye, the Suns aren't going to win 4 games against the defending champs.

Same is true of the Magic. Nelson's a nice player but he doesn't have the credentials of "been there, done that" going for him. Neither do the rest of the Magic. Their chance rests on the possibility that the aging Celtics might hit the wall later on in the series if it goes as long as last year's. I think the Magic was at least a 25% better playoff team overall with Hedo then they are with this bunch.

And playing this dumb 2 small forwards arrangement with Lewis and Barnes plays right into the hands of Doc Rivers. Scrap Matt Barnes and get Gortot on the floor with Howard and keep him out there.

Pat Riley was right to dump Stan Van Gundy. It's the other brother who can coach.

Last edited by cactusdave : 05-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
cactusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #585
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Thank you Lakers and Suns for a beautiful first quarter of basketball.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #586
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Kobe is in mamba mode, and the third isn't even done.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-17-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #587
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lakers finish the third with 94 points, Kobe with 35, 21 points in the qtr.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #588
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Holy shit Shannon Brown. WTF. You gotta make those!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #589
TroyF
Coordinator

Thoughts on the game:

1) It's a Kobe game. He won't shoot it that good again this series. When he does, the Lakers can't be beat.

2) The Suns rebounding was horrible, even on Lakers missed shots. I know they can do a better job, but after this game I'm not convinced they will. They don't look like they have the stomach to beat the Lakers. Frye has been flustered all game, shooting quick and missing wide open shots. The bench was horrible.

3) This had ZERO to do with the result of the game, but I don't understand how the refs allowed Fisher to grab players on the pick and rolls all night. It didn't impact the Suns as they shot well and scored anyway, but it's disgusting to see a guy allowed to do what he did tonight. He should have had his 6th foul sometime in the middle of the first quarter.

4) I hope the refs gave Grant Hill a tube of vasoline before the third quarter.

5) Gasol is the xfactor. It's simply unfair that you have to stop Kobe and then Gasol can throw a drop step like he does. I will hate the Memphis Grizzlies until the end of time for that trade and Stern for allowing it. (and others like it)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #590
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
5) Gasol is the xfactor. It's simply unfair that you have to stop Kobe and then Gasol can throw a drop step like he does. I will hate the Memphis Grizzlies until the end of time for that trade and Stern for allowing it. (and others like it)

Yeah, absolutely.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #591
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Kobe making Lebron's exit look even worse. Like, a "how's that MVP award you gave him looking?" kind of game.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #592
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well that was fun
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #593
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Kobe making Lebron's exit look even worse. Like, a "how's that MVP award you gave him looking?" kind of game.

It's probably more of a "You gave this guy TWO MVP's and he doesn't even have a Finals appearance?"
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #594
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It's probably more of a "You gave this guy TWO MVP's and he doesn't even have a Finals appearance?"

It's well worth forgetting, however: 2007 NBA Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #595
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm confused here. Does anyone really think Lebron shouldn't have won the MVP award this year?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM   #596
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It's well worth forgetting, however: 2007 NBA Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasn't talking about him
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #597
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oooohhhh. Gotcha now. Steve Nash.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #598
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

By the way, in case anyone didn't see the game, Shannon Brown was almost a couple of inches away from delivering one of the most devastating facials of all time... we're talking Tom Chambers-esque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOiw-9ZeAcA
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #599
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

wow, that was clearly a charge, it wasnt even close.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #600
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand the NBA draft and how they know for instance that because one team above them dropped that Philly and Washington advanced into the top 3?? It's always fucking confusing to me.