Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #552
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
What veteran backup will the Broncos be able to find that can run the offense? This is where I think the team is really going to be in trouble; they can't just plug another QB in if Tebow is injured or loses the starting job. I realize that Elway is in the position now where he almost has to endorse Tebow, but I still don't see this as a viable option for more than this and maybe next year.

Garrard is still around. While not really much of a vet, Pryor would have been a good guy to be a backup.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #553
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Garrard is still around. While not really much of a vet, Pryor would have been a good guy to be a backup.
David Garrard can run the read option?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #554
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
David Garrard can run the read option?

Bring him in during the off season and he should be able to pick up enough of it. He has the running ability to pull it off. Again, you are just looking for a vet to fill in. He would also be able to throw better, so the offense would be more balanced in a traditional manner.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #555
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bring him in during the off season and he should be able to pick up enough of it. He has the running ability to pull it off. Again, you are just looking for a vet to fill in. He would also be able to throw better, so the offense would be more balanced in a traditional manner.

Do you really want a guy that's 30-plus years old with a history of back problems running the read-option?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #556
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm getting in dangerous territory here, because I promised I wouldn't speak of him. . . but I don't think he's running the read option long term. The offense has gotten more conventional each week. I don't think the plan would be to run the read option forever. The only reason Elway has backed off and gave him any kind of endorsement is that he's seen the accuracy improve. If he has an NFL arm (I think he does), if he can throw the ball accurately (he's getting better each week, I believe that will continue to improve), the next step is to work on his footwork/pocket awareness.

We can all agree that if he doesn't improve his normal throws, he'll never be anything in the league. Where we disagree is in the improvements he's making from week to week. I see it as big time improvement and I can see a future where he runs a normal offense, others cannot.

I don't think he comes back to the Broncos next year with a full blown read option offense. That might be a few plays a game. I see him coming back and them trying a far more conventional O. How he does with that will determine how long he stays. It also means a switch from him wouldn't be as difficult as people think.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #557
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm getting in dangerous territory here, because I promised I wouldn't speak of him. . .

I see what you did here.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #558
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Do you really want a guy that's 30-plus years old with a history of back problems running the read-option?

He's had time to heal up.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #559
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't think he comes back to the Broncos next year with a full blown read option offense. That might be a few plays a game. I see him coming back and them trying a far more conventional O. How he does with that will determine how long he stays. It also means a switch from him wouldn't be as difficult as people think.

I really don't understand why people are afraid to let this kid continue to do what he does best? He does it well, proven that he can be successful doing it at a high level and has the body type to take the punishment.

Unlike a conventional NFL offense, you have to account for the QB on every single play in the read-option. If coaches allow them, Tebow and Newton will haunt opposing defensive coordinators for years to come and open up doors for college QB's who don't fit the current NFL parameters.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #560
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No talk about how Timmy was extra generous to the Bills DB?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #561
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think they stick with the read option offense since that's what he does best. Elway and gang work on his passing skills as much as possible so he can get better for when he does throw. Sticking him in purely one or the other offense isn't going to get you anywhere in the long run. If he ever can prove to be a decent passer, it will open up the read option game that much more.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #562
Butter
Coordinator

Where's your God now?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #563
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

He's no Doug Flutie.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #564
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No talk about how Timmy was extra generous to the Bills DB?

He was in a giving Christmas mood
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #565
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
I think they stick with the read option offense since that's what he does best. Elway and gang work on his passing skills as much as possible so he can get better for when he does throw. Sticking him in purely one or the other offense isn't going to get you anywhere in the long run. If he ever can prove to be a decent passer, it will open up the read option game that much more.

Basically, if he was Cam Newton, he would be a viable QB. Until he becomes Cam Newton, he won't be able to do much. Right now, he is a Leftwich with more athleticism and less natural QB talent. We all know what happened with Leftwich. Unless Tebow can fix that throwing motion into something quick, he will have to become the best QB in the league at anticipating throws and he will also have to turn the ball over less than 10 times a year or all you will get out of him is a team that teeters around 8-8 most seasons because they can't consistently avoid mistakes and the defense can't always bail them out.

They would be better making him a FB/TE and running 4-5 run/pass option plays a game with him while another QB handles the heavy lifting.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #566
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tebow is garbage.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #567
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
The offense has gotten more conventional each week.

Given the half-dozen turnovers he's managed in the last two weeks, they might want to re-think that direction.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #568
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

hell's bells. so it's over? welp he had a good run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Unless Tebow can fix that throwing motion into something quick...
there's nothing wrong with his motion. he def needs some polish. footwork and whatnot.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #569
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
hell's bells. so it's over? welp he had a good run.

there's nothing wrong with his motion. he def needs some polish. footwork and whatnot.

His throwing motion has improved quite a bit since he was at UF, but he still has a ways to go. The way he brings the ball down before he throws makes it easier for D-Lineman to knock loose and it takes him longer to get rid of the ball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #570
molson
General Manager

People are upset about a Bill Maher tweet "Wow, Jesus just f---d #TimTebow bad. And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler ‘Hey, Buffalo's killing them.’

No big deal really, but this explains a lot, the friend I went to the Pats/Denver game a few weeks back is some kind of Bill Maher disciple (like Rush Limbaugh has), and for Christ's sake, every other comment before the game, during the game, and after the game was something to do with Tebow and Jesus and/or God, variations of the Bill Maher shtick, about god not helping him on this play, or whatever. Finally, I just had to point out that he was talking about God about a million times more often than I've ever heard Tebow talk about his religion, and that did shut him up for a little while. People are just so riled up over a guy being Christian. I'm much more offended by his QB play, personally.

Last edited by molson : 12-27-2011 at 02:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #571
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
His throwing motion has improved quite a bit since he was at UF, but he still has a ways to go. The way he brings the ball down before he throws makes it easier for D-Lineman to knock loose and it takes him longer to get rid of the ball.

I thought his motion was so long on the 3rd INT (the 1st one returned for a TD) that it was an obvious telegraphed throw. When it's a short pass, he can get it out a little quicker. When it's for over 15-20 yards, it seems like he has to do a full wind-up to get enough juice on it, and the motion he uses is so long that he's already tipped off the DBs that the ball's coming their way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #572
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
People are upset about a Bill Maher tweet...

Maher is an assbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I'm much more offended by his QB play, personally.

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #573
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't believe people get worked up over something a celebrity says. Nobody gets worked up over the shit I say, and what I say is actually more important than anything a celebrity has to say. I'm not saying I'm always right, but it's much more likely that I'm right than they are, because I'm the best.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #574
Ksyrup

I get worked up over some of the things you say, but it's usually the good kind of worked up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #575
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I get worked up over some of the things you say, but it's usually the good kind of worked up.
You've made both of us happy, and by "both of us", I mean myself and my ego. The elastic in my waistband has just been catapulted across Pittsburgh.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #576
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You've made both of us happy, and by "both of us", I mean myself and my ego. The elastic in my waistband has just been catapulted across Pittsburgh.

This just proves that you don't know as much as I do.

Your underwear does not, in fact, have elastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #577
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
This just proves that you don't know as much as I do.

Your underwear does not, in fact, have elastic.
how do you know about my underwear

and how do you know i wasnt talking about my zubaz
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #578
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm always amused at people being upset at someone who strives so much to be politically incorrect that it was the name of his show. What's especially funny about it is that the anger often comes from people who usually decry political correctness.

I've always been annoyed at the people who claim they won because of God, as if the other team is a bunch of heathen assholes. I actually loved it last year when Stevie Johnson blamed God for letting him drop a pass. People got on him for that, but it's really no less ridiculous than the opposite scenario.

Having said that, I think the criticism of Tebow's religion has been a bit over the top. Mainly because he comes across as a good guy that seems very sincere about his beliefs.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #579
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I've always been annoyed at the people who claim they won because of God, as if the other team is a bunch of heathen assholes. I actually loved it last year when Stevie Johnson blamed God for letting him drop a pass. People got on him for that, but it's really no less ridiculous than the opposite scenario.

Disclaimer - Not a christian me

I think the general 'gist' for most sports stars however ineloquently they put it is that they intend to thank God for the talent (and physique) he gave them which allowed them to win - NOT that he chose them above the other team for the victory.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #580
Ksyrup

Shouldn't they be thankful for that talent, win or lose? I think that's the issue a lot of people have with those kinds of statements. It's not like He makes a RB an uncoordinated, out of shape slob which causes his team to lose.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #581
molson
General Manager

Wink

Quote:
Shouldn't they be thankful for that talent, win or lose? I think that's the issue a lot of people have with those kinds of statements. It's not like He makes a RB an uncoordinated, out of shape slob which causes his team to lose.

How do you know who is or isn't thankful for what, or the nature of their prayers, and meditations generally? If you're just basing this off soundbites, I think its natural for some to seek out a spiritual connection after a good life event, whether that be a wedding, a birth, or a big win. But I assurse you plenty pray/meditate/connect/give thanks after losses, injuries, or bad events in their life too. It may not be as easy, but that's one of those things people with faith, or people who seek out spiritual guidence work towards. There's more to it then just thanking some god/father figure for stuff you get.

Last edited by molson : 12-28-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #582
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Yeah I think tbh the sincere amongst them probably are ... but how many losing team members get interviewed generally and have questions structured in a manner that they can put that into the conversation?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #583
Ksyrup

Quote:
How do you know who is or isn't thankful for what, or the nature of their prayers, and meditations generally? If you're just basing this off soundbites, I think its natural for some to seek out a spiritual connection after a good life event, whether that be a wedding, a birth, or a big win. But I assurse you plenty pray/meditate/connect/give thanks after losses, injuries, or bad events in their life too. It may not be as easy, but that's one of those things people with faith, or people who seek out spiritual guidence work towards. There's more to it then just thanking some god/father figure for stuff you get.

I can only go by what they say, so that's how I know what they are thankful for - because they insist on telling us (only after good things that happen).
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #584
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

To be fair to Tebow, when he was mic'd up for Sound FX and down against the Bears, he was praying God would be honored, win or lose. It didn't seem to be about making sure that God would help him win. He never made that request (at least as it was shown on Sound FX).
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #585
Ksyrup

My comments weren't about Tebow specifically, just the practice in general.

I enjoyed that Versus show with him mic'd up. What a suck up he is. "Lance Briggs! I've wanted to play against you all my life!" Ha!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #586
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I enjoyed that Versus show with him mic'd up. What a suck up he is. "Lance Briggs! I've wanted to play against you all my life!" Ha!

LOL

I think its kinda nice when you see that someone you consider a 'star' actually is in awe of others myself, it reminds you that everyone is human and has the same concerns and feelings that you yourself have .... even if less of them might involve how he pays his mortgage
Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #587
Blackadar
Retired

I wonder where that growth in Tebow's game that some folks around here have claimed?

Week 15: 13/29, 185 yds, 1 td, 3 int, 2 fum, 1 lost
Week 16: 6/22, 60 yds, 0 tds, 1 int, 1 fum, 1 lost

The dude has looked downright horrible his last couple of games. The viewers in my area got stuck with KC/Den for our late game and it was a simply dreadful game.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #588
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't care if Tim Tebow goes 0-for-100 and craps his pants on national television. The Broncos are going to the playoffs. If someone had told me the Broncos would win 8 games, I'd say that's a pretty good decade for them. They did it in one year. Go Broncos! TEBOW TEBOW TEBOW
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #589
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't care if Tim Tebow goes 0-for-100 and craps his pants on national television. The Broncos are going to the playoffs. If someone had told me the Broncos would win 8 games, I'd say that's a pretty good decade for them. They did it in one year. Go Broncos! TEBOW TEBOW TEBOW

I have a crush on you now....and by crush I mean...well I mean crush...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #590
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't care if Tim Tebow goes 0-for-100 and craps his pants on national television.

Hmm, if that's the first entry in some kind of "predict Tim Tebow's playoff stat line" contest, I think you're already the clear favorite.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #591
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Broncos don't have a QB. They have an internet meme. Average QB completion percentage is 60%. Tebow equaled or was better than it once. He was under 30% twice. Christian Ponder never threw under 40% and was above 60% four times and people already want the Vikings to draft somebody else.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #592
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I have a crush on you now....and by crush I mean...well I mean crush...
Preach on, my brother!
Quote:
Hmm, if that's the first entry in some kind of "predict Tim Tebow's playoff stat line" contest, I think you're already the clear favorite.
I had to get that entry in before somebody else nabbed it.
Quote:
The Broncos don't have a QB. They have an internet meme. Average QB completion percentage is 60%. Tebow equaled or was better than it once. He was under 30% twice. Christian Ponder never threw under 40% and was above 60% four times and people already want the Vikings to draft somebody else.
I bet Christian Ponder wishes he could be an internet meme!!!!!!!! He wishes he could be an internet meme IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!! TEBOW TEBOW
Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #593
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm scared as shit for the Steelers. All four games can't end how people think, there's always some upset. Frickin' Tebow.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #594
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

I bet Christian Ponder wishes he could be an internet meme!!!!!!!! He wishes he could be an internet meme IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!! TEBOW TEBOW

When Tim Tebow has a thought... is it a Christian Ponder?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #595
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

my mind is completely blown.

/clap
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #596
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Winner!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #597
molson
General Manager

He's been terrible but it's true he had the big win streak at the Broncos are in the playoffs. But even during the win streak - he wasn't very good. I do wonder how well the Broncos would have been over the season with Orton starting, or even with an actual good QB. I think they were an underrated team this year and could have stole 10 games with the help of that weak division, if they had competent QB play all season long. Or, maybe there was a "Tebow magic" to where he actually made the team better somehow in ways beyond his play on the field.

Last edited by molson : 01-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #598
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Defense deserves 100% of the credit for the wins and a good chunk of blame for the losses.

In short Tebow has slightly more of an impact than taking a knee.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #599
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
He's been terrible but it's true he had the big win streak at the Broncos are in the playoffs. But even during the win streak - he wasn't very good. I do wonder how well the Broncos would have been over the season with Orton starting, or even with an actual good QB. I think they were an underrated team this year and could have stole 10 games with the help of that weak division, if they had competent QB play all season long. Or, maybe there was a "Tebow magic" to where he actually made the team better somehow in ways beyond his play on the field.

The Broncos' season is just so tough to analyze. They were the second-worst passing team in the league behind Jacksonville, but in Y/G & Comp%, but Tebow had a good TD/INT ratio (very good until the last couple of games).

Most credit their running game and stellar defense for the surprising season. While it's true they led the NFL in rushing Y/G, McGahee had a good but not outstanding season (75 YPG, 4.8 YPC) and Tebow himself was responsible for nearly 700 yards. On the flip side, he was sacked 3 times/game and was third in the league in fumbles.

Defensively, Denver's numbers weren't anything special. They finished in the bottom third of the league in scoring defense and both passing & rushing yards allowed. They did allow under 17 PPG in their wins, which would rank them 4th in the league over a full season, but I'm certain the other teams' numbers would improve as well if you only included their victories.

Ultimately, there are so many variables that you really can't isolate much of anything with certainty.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #600
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Defense deserves 100% of the credit for the wins and a good chunk of blame for the losses.

In short Tebow has slightly more of an impact than taking a knee.

A defensive player even admitted they liked Tebow playing because it forced them to play well.