Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #551
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I've noticed that one of my strikers' preferred moves is "playing with his back to the goal." How do I take advantage of this? It is more likely that I can play long balls to him because he'll see them coming and get into position? Should I maybe avoid trying to place through balls to him because he won't get a running start on the defenders? I just don't want to completely misuse him when he's in my lineup.

Depends a little on his other attributes, but he could well be a good target man (this is what the preferred moves suggests). Assuming this to be the case, don't set him running forward too often, but put him as the target man and to hold up the ball: this will mean players will look to play the ball in to him, he will hold it up and lay it off to midfielders running through to support.

If you have a nippy front man along side him, try putting him on through balls 'often' - worked for me in FM06 with Dion Dublin, who IRL is now a great useless lump up front!

If you have wingers running forward, set him passing to down both flanks as well, this will mean the team will play it into him, he will then hold it up and try and release the wingers, who if set to cross often from byline will then get wicked crosses in creating chances, especially if he has enough pace to get in the area by the time the ball arrives!

But basically he could be a valuable player in the build up, especially if you play counter attacking, as it gives the rest of your guys time to get involved in the attack as well
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #552
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm home from work already. I'm a bit tired, and I have a choice of a nap or WSM 06. Guess which one is going to win?

I'm seriously tempted to start a real career. Usually, I want to wait, but I can't wait to dive into a dynasty. I guess I'll actually head over to SI games and see if there are too many bugs to make that a liability..
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #553
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Well, I'm home from work already. I'm a bit tired, and I have a choice of a nap or WSM 06. Guess which one is going to win?

I'm seriously tempted to start a real career. Usually, I want to wait, but I can't wait to dive into a dynasty. I guess I'll actually head over to SI games and see if there are too many bugs to make that a liability..

Speaking as somebody for whom the bugs in FM05 put me off too much to get into the game, get started on your FM06 dynasty - the only concern I have had is the budgets (which Marc very politely advised me was because I was playing with my eyes half closed ). As far as bugs go I have seen absolutely nothing, little or large. A couple of things that are not as smooth as they will be in FM07 (or even a patched FM06) for sure, but bugs? Nada.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #554
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Speaking as somebody for whom the bugs in FM05 put me off too much to get into the game, get started on your FM06 dynasty - the only concern I have had is the budgets (which Marc very politely advised me was because I was playing with my eyes half closed ). As far as bugs go I have seen absolutely nothing, little or large. A couple of things that are not as smooth as they will be in FM07 (or even a patched FM06) for sure, but bugs? Nada.

So, no odd development patterns of youth players? I thought I had heard something about that? As long as there is nothing significant that will hurt the fidelity of the universe, I'm starting today
Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #555
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looking over SI's forums, I can't find any significant bugs listed. Excellent. Time to look for any little mods I might want and then I'll start my career
Old 11-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #556
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, no odd development patterns of youth players? I thought I had heard something about that? As long as there is nothing significant that will hurt the fidelity of the universe, I'm starting today

Haven't noticed anything, but I've made a point of steering away from the bugs forum this year: sometimes ignorance is bliss! Some of my youth players developed a fair amount 1st year, some hardly at all, but this is what happens IRL. The only slight concern was that most of the intial crop I were given were all midgets (mostly 5'2" - 5'5"), but the four players promoted to the youth squad were generally better heights, so I'll just take it for now that the first lot was an anomaly.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #557
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Haven't noticed anything, but I've made a point of steering away from the bugs forum this year: sometimes ignorance is bliss! Some of my youth players developed a fair amount 1st year, some hardly at all, but this is what happens IRL. The only slight concern was that most of the intial crop I were given were all midgets (mostly 5'2" - 5'5"), but the four players promoted to the youth squad were generally better heights, so I'll just take it for now that the first lot was an anomaly.

Have you noticed if players get taller as they age? I haven't check my group yet, but I did have a couple short youngsters that I'm hoping grew an inch or two over the off-season.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #558
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

GameStop now lists the ETA of WWSM 2006 as November 11.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=646382
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #559
Ramzavail
College Starter

Is it possible to do a play by email game?

Take on a team and pass it back and forth to each other and discuss moves etc.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #560
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Why the hell can Sega not get the distribution right? They need some serious work. If this was a big-time game, there would be an outrage.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #561
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
Is it possible to do a play by email game?

Take on a team and pass it back and forth to each other and discuss moves etc.

it'd be tough unless someone managed a month at a time or something before passing it on. The pacing isn't quite right for PBEM IMO.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #562
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
didn't there used to be a work around in the old days where you could manage any nation?

I don't know. It'd be nice to have this option, though. I want as many opportunities to manage national sides as possible.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #563
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
it'd be tough unless someone managed a month at a time or something before passing it on. The pacing isn't quite right for PBEM IMO.

yes, a month is what I was thinking....would that make it not fun?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #564
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Why the hell can Sega not get the distribution right? They need some serious work. If this was a big-time game, there would be an outrage.

This kinda reminds me of the NCAA Football 2006 release that EA did this year, and that did lead to an outrage. So you are absolutely right.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #565
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Have you noticed if players get taller as they age? I haven't check my group yet, but I did have a couple short youngsters that I'm hoping grew an inch or two over the off-season.
Yes they do - they'll grow at 'normal' rates for their particular age, the younger ones growing faster than older people, until they hit their natural height.

Bear in mind that as people grow they might initially lose a little dexterity because they have to adjust to the changes in their body/bulk - its only a marginal effect but does happen, especially if a growth spurt puts a few inches on a kid.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #566
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Yes they do - they'll grow at 'normal' rates for their particular age, the younger ones growing faster than older people, until they hit their natural height.

Bear in mind that as people grow they might initially lose a little dexterity because they have to adjust to the changes in their body/bulk - its only a marginal effect but does happen, especially if a growth spurt puts a few inches on a kid.

That's great as long as I don't have to give them the "birds and bees" talk.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #567
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
That's great as long as I don't have to give them the "birds and bees" talk.

Major Concerns: Has a pimple.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #568
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome place to download most of the team and competition logos for FM, the guy made really nice logos rotating the original team ones.

http://www.auxj85.dsl.pipex.com/index.html

If the new logos don't show up, do the following:

- Turn off skin cache in the preferences menu, select a different skin click confirm. Logos should show, if they do you can go back to your normal skin.
If you don't want to change skins you can just restart FM.

- Logos should work as long as they are within data\graphics\pictures folder, or within a subfolder of pictures i.e. pictures\logos\.

- If you are adding logos for teams already on FM, make sure you delete the existing logos and config. (i.e. if you are installing new logos for all of england, delete the logos\clubs\england folder.

- Have you turn on logos in the preferences menu, tick the show badges/logos option.

Last edited by Icy : 11-08-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #569
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Nice link, Icy - thanks
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #570
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Copied from my dynasty thread, but I thought this was worth copying to remind people to save frequently..

DARN DARN DARN! The game just crashed to desktop while I was simming. I got some access error and poof, it was gone. I was foolishly only saving every month and I was on March 28th.. least I haven't gained any significant history to lose yet.

edit: Just to clarify, this was using the digital download version of WSM 06.

2nd Edit: Apparently, it crashed just after saving for the month! WOO HOO! Least I didn't lose any time

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-08-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #571
Ramzavail
College Starter

This question probably has been asked - but why can't saved games from older games be imported into new games? I don't expect a huge gap like CM 00/01 to FM 2006 but
FM 2005 - FM 2006 - why is that not an option?

OOTP has been doing that for years.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #572
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

$$$$$
Old 11-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #573
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
$$$$$

It hasn't stopped anybody here with FM 2005 dynasties or careers from not buying 2006. It doesn't stop anybody with careers in OOTP to stop buying their games.

I've had the same career with Season Ticket Baseball to OOTP 5, to OOTP 6 to OOTP 6.5. Granted b/w 5 and 6 it got a little messed up but I still purchased the games.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #574
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Copied from my dynasty thread, but I thought this was worth copying to remind people to save frequently..

DARN DARN DARN! The game just crashed to desktop while I was simming. I got some access error and poof, it was gone. I was foolishly only saving every month and I was on March 28th.. least I haven't gained any significant history to lose yet.

edit: Just to clarify, this was using the digital download version of WSM 06.

I've had the same crash a few times with the digital download version. I don't have any problems with any other games, nor any problems with the demo. It pisses me off if I lose any games played due to the crash.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #575
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
This question probably has been asked - but why can't saved games from older games be imported into new games? I don't expect a huge gap like CM 00/01 to FM 2006 but
FM 2005 - FM 2006 - why is that not an option?

OOTP has been doing that for years.

OOTP has far fewer leagues simulated than FM and as such its much easier to port an old save game into a new format with it.

With FM there are over 50 nations competitions around the globe (and also continental/international competitions).

Around 30% of these change format in any particular year, sometimes minor changes (ie. slightly different rules) - sometimes a huge change (ie. an extra division appearing, splitting a division into a North/South conference or whatever) ...

Patching and repairing an existing save game to cope with such changes is simply beyond the resources we have available to work on the game currently.

(and this is ignoring the problem is 'spoofing' data for new game areas - which imho is never wholly satisfactory anyway, especially if new research has been untaken and included into the db then randomly filling it in for an existing save game will never get things quite right)
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #576
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
It hasn't stopped anybody here with FM 2005 dynasties or careers from not buying 2006. It doesn't stop anybody with careers in OOTP to stop buying their games.

I've had the same career with Season Ticket Baseball to OOTP 5, to OOTP 6 to OOTP 6.5. Granted b/w 5 and 6 it got a little messed up but I still purchased the games.

I guess I should clarify. Time = money. I can only imagine how much time (and probably not worthwhile time) it would take to make imports work.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #577
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I've had the same crash a few times with the digital download version. I don't have any problems with any other games, nor any problems with the demo. It pisses me off if I lose any games played due to the crash.
Can you check in your FM director for a .dmp file - if there is one can you email it to me ([email protected]) and it should help us work out the nature of the problem you're having.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Marc
Old 11-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #578
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Well there you go.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #579
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Can you check in your FM director for a .dmp file - if there is one can you email it to me ([email protected]) and it should help us work out the nature of the problem you're having.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Marc

You want me to send mine as well? (assuming it is there)

Never mind. I don't see one. Is it supposed to be somewhere other than the general WSM 06 directory?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #580
TredWel
High School Varsity

256.29MB + Dialup =

After about 24 hours of downloading, I finally finiish, only to get this message:

"Checksum mismatch. The installation is corrupt or has been tampered with. If you downloaded this file from the internet, try downloading it again."

Old 11-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #581
Fouts
College Starter

I got a screenshot this time. It happened after the second "continue" after a match (I just finished reading the news of my win). Don't have anywhere to upload the screenshot, but this is what it said;

Error: Access violation at 0x0096D111 (tried to read from 0xFFFFFFFF), program terminated.

Note1: Did a search and couldn't find any .dmp files.
Note2: I have had 0 problems with any other games crashing.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #582
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got a screenshot this time. It happened after the second "continue" after a match (I just finished reading the news of my win). Don't have anywhere to upload the screenshot, but this is what it said;

Error: Access violation at 0x0096D111 (tried to read from 0xFFFFFFFF), program terminated.

I can't be 100% positive, but I think that is exactly the message I received. If not exactly the same, it was very similar.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #583
Desnudo
Coordinator

Man this game is hard. I promoted relatively easily with Leeds, but I'm getting killed in the EPL. I put together a quality team that should easily be top 10 based on talent, but I'm getting destroyed. My defenders are like turnstyles, no matter the tactic. I don't even bother watching the key highlights anymore, Crystal Palace or Man U, it's all the same. Super passing and finishing from bad and good players alike. I'll give it another season, but I'm not understanding the results. I can't see the mistakes I'm making tactically.

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-08-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #584
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Another small MLS Bug, this is the first time in 5 Drafts I've run with the game it's happened.

There were less people then normal (like 65 the year before, and 52 this year..)

In the 2007 MLS Superdraft Combine.. I was alerted that Henrik Larsson (yes, that Henrik Larsson) would be a good pickup.. the 35 year old former Barcelona player was available, but he was retiring at the end of the year.

Looking at the other MLS Combine teams, there are a couple names.. (Larsson on A, Rivaldo and Imad Baba on MLS B, and Carlos Roa on MLS D)..

Looks like it grabs international players if not enough MLS-ready players are generated.

I have a save game where I noticed this available.. and as I said, this is the first time that it's happened in 5+ drafts.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #585
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there any difference between WSM digitial download vs the box version ?

beside the digital download has the manuial on .pdf and box version has paper manual.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #586
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
is there any difference between WSM digitial download vs the box version ?

beside the digital download has the manuial on .pdf and box version has paper manual.

not in the game. It does sound like the digital version has a bug that's causing crashes which I've never experienced with the boxed version.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #587
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well I'm excited. Just moments ago I arranged for the library that I work at to order WSM 2006. This will allow me a 3 week demo. I really want to like this game and I'm hoping the long play test will get me into and result in my buying it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #588
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Fouts, regarding this crash, may I ask you if you did the language copy/paste thingie from the demo to get the game to "speak" UK English?

I ask this after seeing this post from Miles Jacobson on the SI Forums:
Quote:
Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:
Geldhart - doing that could cause problems/crashes as the language files were updated for the patch.

This was in response to user Geldhart who had just explained to somebody else how to find the english.ltc file from the strawberry demo... If you and EaglesFan27 have done this procedure to your game, it could be an explanation for the crash, if not, then forget I said anything...

FM
Old 11-09-2005, 09:05 AM   #589
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I have been getting frequent crashes (no language file switch), but I think they are different from Fouts & EF.

Mine give a more generic error message, and DO create the .DMP file. I sent one of these to Marc V. via e-mail -- my crashes have been fairly frequent. I've gotten 3 in just July.

I think I might try playing on just because saving is SOOOO much faster in this version.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #590
AlexB
Pro Starter

Desnudo: I did indeed get the 'due to improved financial situation the board have given you an extra £1.9m for transfers' as you said on August 1, which just so happened to be exactly the profit for July... (I can cope with this this level of change in budgets, rather than the FM2005 'You've been given £250k' in June to the August message of 'Actually, have another £10m!') As my game auto-saved on 31.7 at 11.30pm real time, and I had to be up at 5.30am for work, I just ran through to 1.8 to see if this message came up - will check if I get a redistribute budgets option...

Rather worryingly, I was also offered the ENgland job in July, after one Championship season of experience: OK we won the League Cup, but I haven;t even played a single EPL game yet - England??? (They gave the job to Alan Pardew in the end - how must he feel at being 2nd choice to a second year manager who has not yet managed at the highest level )
Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #591
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Hey, look . . . they've got Sven right now. How much worse could you have been?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #592
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Desnudo: I did indeed get the 'due to improved financial situation the board have given you an extra £1.9m for transfers' as you said on August 1, which just so happened to be exactly the profit for July... (I can cope with this this level of change in budgets, rather than the FM2005 'You've been given £250k' in June to the August message of 'Actually, have another £10m!') As my game auto-saved on 31.7 at 11.30pm real time, and I had to be up at 5.30am for work, I just ran through to 1.8 to see if this message came up - will check if I get a redistribute budgets option...

Rather worryingly, I was also offered the ENgland job in July, after one Championship season of experience: OK we won the League Cup, but I haven;t even played a single EPL game yet - England??? (They gave the job to Alan Pardew in the end - how must he feel at being 2nd choice to a second year manager who has not yet managed at the highest level )

Yes, now that I think about it, my budget did increase based on how much I'd brought in. Which is cool and makes sense.

I didn't notice the budget options my first season, but I did see it my second. I had the option of increasing my transfer kitty at the expense of a lower salary ceiling. Pretty good stuff.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #593
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I didn't notice the budget options my first season, but I did see it my second. I had the option of increasing my transfer kitty at the expense of a lower salary ceiling. Pretty good stuff.

That is a very nice addition that doesn't look like much at first. Seriously, you get the feeling you really have a say in how you want to manage your team and not only have to abide by everything the board tells you. Kudos for SI (once again) on this one!

FM
Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #594
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I had the option of increasing my transfer kitty at the expense of a lower salary ceiling. Pretty good stuff.

YES. I have been waiting for that for a long time.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #595
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Where are these budget options that you guys are talking about (or when do you run into them)?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #596
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Fouts, regarding this crash, may I ask you if you did the language copy/paste thingie from the demo to get the game to "speak" UK English?

This was in response to user Geldhart who had just explained to somebody else how to find the english.ltc file from the strawberry demo... If you and EaglesFan27 have done this procedure to your game, it could be an explanation for the crash, if not, then forget I said anything...

FM

No, I did a regular install from the digital download. Only thing I changed was the date and temp formats. I switched the skins around to check them out, but then went back to the original.

I'm content with saving after every match until they patch it. The game is a lot of fun, especially when you are winning.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #597
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Where are these budget options that you guys are talking about (or when do you run into them)?

I have not played with the game too much but from what I understood, it's when your team board announces the transfer budget for the new season, say around middle to the end of June. Would have to be in June 2006 in the game though, just prior to the beginning of season 2 in your career...

FM
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM   #598
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Man this game is hard. I promoted relatively easily with Leeds, but I'm getting killed in the EPL. I put together a quality team that should easily be top 10 based on talent, but I'm getting destroyed. My defenders are like turnstyles, no matter the tactic. I don't even bother watching the key highlights anymore, Crystal Palace or Man U, it's all the same. Super passing and finishing from bad and good players alike. I'll give it another season, but I'm not understanding the results. I can't see the mistakes I'm making tactically.

I've noticed that starting partway though the second season it gets absolutely brutal.

I changed tactics and I'm still getting beat regularly, and this should be a team that challenges for promotion playoffs.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #599
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

FM

I didn't do that language thing, and I got the crash.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #600
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I've gone to saving my game after every match as well. I've had 2 crashes already tonight.