Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #551
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't know how you can say that. Al Jefferson is much better than anyone that went to Memphis in that deal. He's a perennial All-Star who was building his way up to being one of the best PF in the league. He was averaging 23 and 11 before tearing his ACL.

For one I was comparing him to Bynum and Oden. Secondly how could he be a perennial All-Star when he has never even made an All-Star game? Id take Bynum over Jefferson was my comment. I'm sure most people actually would. Bynum is a stud defender in which Al Jefferson is not. Jefferson is a 6 10' post player.

Stats are a poor indicator of a player especially on poor teams. All NBA teams average around 100 points and all teams average around 40-50 rebounds per game so someone has to get points and rebounds.

Devin Harris went from a 15 point a game scorer to a 21.3 by going to a poor team. Richard Jefferson has been floating around the league averaging around 20 points per game on bad teams. Now that he is on a good team he averages 13.4. Even Al Harrinton has averaged 21.5 points per game these past two years.

Lack of options=more points.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #552
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
For one I was comparing him to Bynum and Oden. Secondly how could he be a perennial All-Star when he has never even made an All-Star game? Id take Bynum over Jefferson was my comment. I'm sure most people actually would. Bynum is a stud defender in which Al Jefferson is not. Jefferson is a 6 10' post player.

Stats are a poor indicator of a player especially on poor teams. All NBA teams average around 100 points and all teams average around 40-50 rebounds per game so someone has to get points and rebounds.

Devin Harris went from a 15 point a game scorer to a 21.3 by going to a poor team. Richard Jefferson has been floating around the league averaging around 20 points per game on bad teams. Now that he is on a good team he averages 13.4. Even Al Harrinton has averaged 21.5 points per game these past two years.

Lack of options=more points.
The thing is that the T-Wolves actually turned into a decent team by the middle of last season. They had a stretch where they won like 10 of 12 games and were a pretty good team from the end of December to when Jefferson got hurt (I believe over .500).

I believe Jefferson has the talent to be a perennial All-Star in this league. He's one of the best low post offensive players in the league and at the time of the trade was only 22. There just aren't a lot of guys who can score like that in the post like that in the league (can count them on one hand).

Bynum is a good player with potential, but I don't think he's as talented as Jefferson. Jefferson is a much better offensive player and in an offensive league, that's a big difference. It reminds me a bit of the Durant/Oden debate a couple years ago. Always go with the best offensive player.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #553
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Pau is good. But I don't think he's in the top 10. Somewhere in the high teens most likely. Regardless the griz really shit the bed on that trade.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #554
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bynum is a good player with potential, but I don't think he's as talented as Jefferson. Jefferson is a much better offensive player and in an offensive league, that's a big difference. It reminds me a bit of the Durant/Oden debate a couple years ago. Always go with the best offensive player.

The problem with this argument is that Jefferson is not a much better offensive player. Jefferson gets a lot more shots and scores more points however he also isnt sharing the spotlight with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.

Bynum's offensive game is actually very similiar to Jeffersons. They both use the hook shot quite often as a post up move. Jefferson has a decent 12-15 from jumper which Bynum doesnt have. Bynum is close to a 60 percent career shooter which means his productivity is off the charts. It tells me they should try to get him more involved. Take a 16 point per game scorer that shoots close to 60 percent and get him 3 more shots a game and you have your 20 point per game scorer.

All things being equal Jefferson is the best player on a team that wins 20 games a year while Bynum is the 3rd best player on a team that wins 60-70 games a year.

They are both good players however IMO the Twolves would win more games with Bynum than they do with Jefferson. A defensive stopped in the middle is a great equalizer when the rest of your team is below average.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #555
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd disagree. I think the fact Jefferson can hit a mid-range jumper is a huge advantage. Bynum has one post move and is more of a finisher off passes and put-backs. Nothing wrong with that at all and he'll be a solid scoring threat in the league. Jefferson is also a better rebounder.

If you're judging Jefferson by this year, he's still coming back from major knee surgery. As I mentioned, when he got hurt, the T-Wolves were not a meddling 20-win team. They were actually average and some could argue above average. They had a big month of January and seemed to be coming together well. He was thoroughly dominant in a number of games and unstoppable in the paint offensively.

I've watched both a lot and I like both their games. But when the trade was made, I'd definitely take Jefferson.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #556
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think Pau is good. But I don't think he's in the top 10. Somewhere in the high teens most likely. Regardless the griz really shit the bed on that trade.
I think his position and size plays a role in my ranking. He's the best offensive big man in the game. The best in the league in the post and solid in the high post. I just don't know how the best offensive big man in the league could be outside the top 10.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #557
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd disagree. I think the fact Jefferson can hit a mid-range jumper is a huge advantage. Bynum has one post move and is more of a finisher off passes and put-backs. Nothing wrong with that at all and he'll be a solid scoring threat in the league. Jefferson is also a better rebounder.

If you're judging Jefferson by this year, he's still coming back from major knee surgery. As I mentioned, when he got hurt, the T-Wolves were not a meddling 20-win team. They were actually average and some could argue above average. They had a big month of January and seemed to be coming together well. He was thoroughly dominant in a number of games and unstoppable in the paint offensively.

I've watched both a lot and I like both their games. But when the trade was made, I'd definitely take Jefferson.

They were 17-33 when Jefferson got hurt, were 4-6 in their last 10, 6-8 in the month prior. They did have a 5 game winning streak against the Warriors, Bucks, Grizzlies, Thunder and Bucks in early to mid January though.

If Jeffersons mid range shot is such an advantage you might think he would be able to shoot above 50 percent? Bynum shoots close to 60 percent without a jump shot which is what it is all about, Offensive efficiency. NBA.com:

Jefferson is 35th in points per 48 minutes Bynum is 36th despite averaging 4.9 less shots per 48 minutes.

In 08-09 Jefferson averaged 1.2 points per shot attempt, Bynum averaged 1.4 points per shot attempt. Here is the efficiency rankings Bynum is 6th, Jefferson is 11th.

Jefferson is a slightly better rebounder though. He is right around 14/per 48 minutes over the past 2 years while Bynum is at 13.1/per 48.

Basically, anyway you spin the numbers per 48 minutes Bynum is clearly a better player. At the time of the trade Bynum was an unknown while Jefferson looked to be a very good player in the making so the trade at the time was fine. If we fast forward to today there is no way the Lakers trade Bynum for Jefferson.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-19-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #558
RainMaker
General Manager

I know what they were when he got hurt. They were 13-10 after Christmas. They had a strong month of January and were turning into a decent team.

You are using stats from this season. Jefferson is still recovering from major knee surgery. Look at last season before the knee surgery. He was 6th in the league in efficiency ahead of guys like Gasol.

To compare players using shooing percentage who play different styles and have different roles is ridiculous. I'll use your logic for determining a better offensive player.

Kendrick Perkins shoots 64% from the field. . Dwyane Wade shoots 43%. Perkins does that without a jump shot which is what it's all about, Offensive efficiency.

Perkins averages 1.63 points per shot attempt while Wade averages 1.29 points per shot attempt.

Does this mean Kendrick Perkins is a better offensive player than Wade?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #559
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is Jefferson a point forward or how is his role much different than Bynum? They are post players that get rebounds and block shots as far as I know. The only difference is Jefferson plays more minutes and is more of the focus on offense because the Timberwolves suck.

Wade and Perkins are not comparable in anyway what so ever.

You'd be hard pressed to find 1 other person that would say the Timberwolves were an average to an above average team at ANY point last year FYI.

You can use whatever stats you want to use per 48 minutes. It doesnt really matter to me and you will see what you are missing.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-19-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #560
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know what they were when he got hurt. They were 13-10 after Christmas. They had a strong month of January and were turning into a decent team.

You are using stats from this season. Jefferson is still recovering from major knee surgery. Look at last season before the knee surgery. He was 6th in the league in efficiency ahead of guys like Gasol.

To compare players using shooing percentage who play different styles and have different roles is ridiculous. I'll use your logic for determining a better offensive player.

Kendrick Perkins shoots 64% from the field. . Dwyane Wade shoots 43%. Perkins does that without a jump shot which is what it's all about, Offensive efficiency.

Perkins averages 1.63 points per shot attempt while Wade averages 1.29 points per shot attempt.

Does this mean Kendrick Perkins is a better offensive player than Wade?

well played sir
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #561
MrBug708
Head Coach

Before Gasol came back, Bynum was averaging 19.4 and 11.4, since we are throwing out limited samples
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #562
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Bug,

Anyway Ive had enough of this discussion. I am fairly certain Bynum would be an absolute stud on the Timberwolves however we wont know this because it wont happen.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #563
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Is Jefferson a point forward or how is his role much different than Bynum? They are post players that get rebounds and block shots as far as I know. The only difference is Jefferson plays more minutes and is more of the focus on offense because the Timberwolves suck.

Wade and Perkins are not comparable in anyway what so ever.

You'd be hard pressed to find 1 other person that would say the Timberwolves were an average to an above average team at ANY point last year FYI.

You can use whatever stats you want to use per 48 minutes. It doesnt really matter to me and you will see what you are missing.
The primary difference is that Al Jefferson is a shot creator. You can feed him the ball and he will consistently get a good shot in the post.

I don't understand why being the focus of the offense is a negative. Jefferson was seeing double and triple teaming in the post on virtually every time he touched the ball. They had no other option and he was still able to get shots up and score with efficiency.

Bynum works in an offense where he gets virtually no attention from the defense. 20% of all his shots were dunks (as opposed . He benefits greatly from having Kobe, Gasol, and Odom draw the attention of the defense and leave him unguarded.

I think a lot of people would have considered the T-Wolves an average team before Jefferson's injury. They were beating bad teams and losing to good ones. They were 13-10 after Christmas. Pretty average in my book.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #564
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't understand why being the focus of the offense is a negative. Jefferson was seeing double and triple teaming in the post on virtually every time he touched the ball. They had no other option and he was still able to get shots up and score with efficiency.

It is not a negative. But you cant say Jefferson is a better player just because he scores more points.

They are very similiar players in different situations. Bynum is 2 inches taller and a better defender that is why I like him as a player more than Jefferson.

In reality neither of them are good enough to be the focus of the offense however the wolves dont have a choice.

Anyway, new topic. This is all about what ifs and if thats.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #565
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is not a negative. But you cant say Jefferson is a better player just because he scores more points.

They are very similiar players in different situations. Bynum is 2 inches taller and a better defender that is why I like him as a player more than Jefferson.

In reality neither of them are good enough to be the focus of the offense however the wolves dont have a choice.

Anyway, new topic. This is all about what ifs and if thats.

not even that - it's about opinions. you like bynum over jefferson...rainmaker likes jefferson over bynum. the two of you don't necessarily need to agree on that
Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #566
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
not even that - it's about opinions. you like bynum over jefferson...rainmaker likes jefferson over bynum. the two of you don't necessarily need to agree on that

I can agree to this

On another note. Is it just me or does it seem like Deng and Noah are the only two that care about winning games for the Bulls this year?

I was expecting Rose to step up but he seems to be taking a back seat for some reason.

With that said I see Rose is having a great game tonight.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #567
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As the lone Clips fan I am aware of on this board, just want to say I'm decently optimistic about the team's play of late. Beating the Sixers tonight, they are now 12-14. Had they not blown a huge lead against the Knicks Friday night, they would have been .500.

IMO, that's pretty good, considering they haven't had even one regular season minute of Blake Griffin yet.

I still think it's possible for the Clips to achieve those preseason predictions of making the playoffs this year. That might mean first round obliteration at the hands of the Lakers, Nuggets, Spurs, Suns, etc., but, hey, baby steps.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #568
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Part of the reason why Memphis did not go for the Jefferson trade was the perception that he was soft. After Pau, they wanted to toughen the team up. They also had a good number of #2/#3 guys they were trying to develop. They wanted muscle up front, and while Odom was good, he was old for what they were looking to do.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #569
RainMaker
General Manager

Bulls blew a 35 point lead at home tonight to the Kings. I am done.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #570
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Rose continues on the path he's headed down right now (slightly above average PG on a pretty bad team, showing zero leadership skills) where does he rank in terms of biggest draft disappointments of all time?

Of course there have been bigger busts - he achieved more in his rookie season than Olowokandi or Kwame ever did (and probably half the first overall picks in history). But just in terms of him being the local kid, the savior of the franchise and expected to be a true superstar who would lead the Bulls back to the league elite, things certainly don't seem to be panning out that way. Or am I completely nuts to write off a 19 year old kid in his second season in the league? He just doesn't seem to have the temperament that many other great players have.

Kings tie the all-time comeback record tonight. Wow - if this doesn't get Vinny fired I don't know what will.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #571
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's still early. He shows signs of greatness at times. He has the worst coach in the NBA developing him. The team doesn't run plays and has no flow on offense. Put a veteran coach like Doug Collins in and he's an All-Star. The kid just has too much raw ability.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #572
whomario
Pro Starter

I agree that this isnīt entirely on him, not even close. Iīl give him a pass until he gets to play under a different coach.
On the other hand Sacramento is a fun team to watch. Really deep, Evans with one hell of a rookie campaign right now (20/5/5 on a 50% team) and a lot of young, energetic players, very deep bench (as witnessed last night) and all that with Martin and Garcia out. Although at this point i am sceptical as to how they are better with Martin back and being again the focal point of the offense despite him lacking any sort of passing ability.

In other news : How about JJ Redick as the Magicīs 6th man more or less ? Seriously, heīs definitely found a role. Very impressed by how he put his head down and just worked himself into that role on the Magic.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #573
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
In other news : How about JJ Redick as the Magicīs 6th man more or less ? Seriously, heīs definitely found a role. Very impressed by how he put his head down and just worked himself into that role on the Magic.

As a Duke grad, that was the thing I was most impressed with by Redick when he was in college - he started with a great 3p shot and not a lot else. As each year progressed, he developed something new. One year, a midrange jumper - the next year the drive to the basket. And every year he improved his defense. He's a hard worker - always has been. It doesn't surprise me that he's still working to improve - he'll never be an NBA star, but he can fit well in the role he's in now.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #574
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yay redick!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #575
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess my biggest concern with Rose is that he's real passive. Just doesn't have that killer instinct that most of the stars have. He's not one of those guys who's going to run to the middle and demand the ball and tell everyone to get the fuck out of the way. Maybe that will change with time, but I don't know if you can really change a personality. Ultimately he may be best suited as a 2nd best player on a top team and not the leader that many in Chicago had hoped.

I really think he needs a good mentor who will push him more. Byron Scott or even Avery Johnson crossed my mind as guys who will push him and mold his mindset better. It's not an effort issue with Rose, it's an psychological one. Everytime I get a little down on him he'll do some unbelievable in a game that will make me remember why Chicago has so much promise in him. The other night against Atlanta he did a crossover that literally made the defender fall down on his ass. I've seen it a dozen times last year.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #576
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah that was kind of my point. I don't doubt his talent for a minute but he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's a leader or wants the ball in his hands when the going gets tough. For a PG and the #1 overall pick that's not exactly ideal, especially with all the extra baggage he carries in Chicago.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #577
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Rose is doing all he possibly can to bring the Bulls back against the Knicks tonight.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 12-22-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #578
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Sweet jeez. The Bulls do suck this year, don't they?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #579
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Sweet jeez. The Bulls do suck this year, don't they?

Theyonly have 3 players that are worth a crap and 1 of them cant score. Rose, Deng, Noah. They also dont really have a go to scorer. Its not a proven great method to have your PG as your go to scorer.

Gibson appears he will be a decent player.

Salmons and Miller need to head back to the Kings. I believe Salmons actually hurts the team by playing he is so bad and he wont stop shooting.

They better fix this fast if they want any chance of getting Dwayne Wade.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-22-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #580
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Theyonly have 3 players that are worth a crap and 1 of them cant score. Rose, Deng, Noah. They also dont really have a go to scorer. Its not a proven great method to have your PG as your go to scorer.

They better fix this fast if they want any chance of getting Dwayne Wade.

They knew going into this season it was gonna be a rough one, though nobody would ever admit it. Which is also why I think Del Negro is going to last the full season (or close to it) -- they're just waiting till 2010, when they can get real players and a real coach.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 AM   #581
whomario
Pro Starter

so, the blazers with yet another injury. Now Przybilla goes down with what apears to be a long term knee injurie (read about ruptured patella tendon) .

Oden - Out
Batum - Out
Fernandez - Out
Outlaw - Out
Mills - Out
Przybilla - Out

Batum and Fernandez might be back by early February, Outlaw maybe by March.
Thatīs now 5 members of their supposed 9/10 man rotation.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #582
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Boston 38, Orlando 27

At the half. Is that right?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #583
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Awful offense from Orlando today.

Classy Laker fans throwing water bottles and foam fingers onto the court smh
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Lakers showed a lot of mock outrage out there today. I thought it was a soccer game, with all the pussy flopping and crying.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #585
MrBug708
Head Coach

While I appreciate being able to watch the Lakers on Christmas, hopefully that flop of a game will get them an off day on Christmas next year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #586
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
While I appreciate being able to watch the Lakers on Christmas, hopefully that flop of a game will get them an off day on Christmas next year

That ain't happening until Kobe retires, and even then I can't say I see it happening unless they're absolutely awful.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #587
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure no one outside of the Boston and LA areas was watching, but there was a terrific, fun game going on Staples tonight. Clips ended up pulling out a huge win for them over the Celtics on a last 0.1 sec shot (more or less) by Baron Davis.

Strangely enough, the Clips have now won two in a row at home against the Celtics.

No matter what side you were on, if you were watching you woulda said it was a fun basketball game to watch.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #588
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Vinny's gone.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #589
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Vinny's gone.

It's official? I heard earlier today that it was reported he pretty much was, but the Bulls wanted to horn in on a replacement first.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-27-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #590
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah, they won't announce it until they have a replacement in place but its all a matter of time now.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #591
rjolley
College Starter

Looks like it's official that he's out, just not official when he's out.

Sources: Chicago Bulls wait on replacement to ax coach - ESPN Chicago

I'll be glad to see him out. I thought it was an odd choice, but hoped they knew something no one else did. The possible replacements are interesting. Out of the people who were recently NBA coaches, Byron Scott would be a good move. Seems he was able to help develop a young athletic PG who played one year in college into one of the best PGs in the league. Maybe he can do the same with Rose.

Last edited by rjolley : 12-27-2009 at 11:54 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #592
bhlloy
Coordinator

How is this in any way better than getting rid of him and having an interim coach for the meantime? If he knows he's fired, the players know he's fired and everybody else in the organization knows he's fired, what possible good could it do having him around and pretending to run the team as usual?

Do they think they will be losing leverage with all those unemployed coaches out there if they look desperate or something?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #593
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How is this in any way better than getting rid of him and having an interim coach for the meantime? If he knows he's fired, the players know he's fired and everybody else in the organization knows he's fired, what possible good could it do having him around and pretending to run the team as usual?

Do they think they will be losing leverage with all those unemployed coaches out there if they look desperate or something?
This is the Bulls. Logic doesn't work in their equation.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #594
whomario
Pro Starter

so the Rockets and T-Mac are aparently all but ready to part from each other... Not suprising since Adelmann never gave any indication he wanted him back, then held him out of the lineup longer than propably nescessary and then came up with the elaborate plan to sub him in after 4,5 minutes to play the rest of the first quarter and then not to return no matter what.

McGrady actually went along with it and did not bitch about it. That after doing this for 6 games he stated that he was ready for more to me is ok, certainly not iverson-stupid (we need a catchy word involving AIs name for player coming back from injury or new to teams that bitch about it after 3 or less games).

Anyways, Adelmann basically took this as an excuse to finally just admit that he doesnīt want him.

Just strange that they brought him all the way back from that injury, than let a bit of excitement built by playing him and then pull the plug. Also not even trying to boost his value by actually letting him play a bit longer.

And yes, iīm fully aware he looked very subpar out there, but even while not being a big fan of his itīs pretty obvious that 7 minutes isnīt exactly what heīs used to and that + coming back after that long a layoff (+ the whole having been seriously injured thing) isnīt exactly ideal to get back into a rythm.

I am pretty sure this is a good thing for the Rockets, but still there was a part of me wishing theyīd really work him back and heīd repay the favour with good games come playoff time. Wishfull thinking i guess
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #595
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was looking up standings since I was curious what the Raptors' position is. I can't believe a 12-17 team is the #8 seed in the East!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mike Brown is starting to show signs of competency. The rest of the NBA should be worried. I'm just going to chill and try to enjoy the next 6 months of basketball. Whatever happens after that is probably gonna suck.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 AM   #597
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Looks like it's official that he's out, just not official when he's out.

Sources: Chicago Bulls wait on replacement to ax coach - ESPN Chicago

I'll be glad to see him out. I thought it was an odd choice, but hoped they knew something no one else did. The possible replacements are interesting. Out of the people who were recently NBA coaches, Byron Scott would be a good move. Seems he was able to help develop a young athletic PG who played one year in college into one of the best PGs in the league. Maybe he can do the same with Rose.
The way the Bulls have handled this is an embarassment and I actually feel sorry for Vinny Del Negro. So reports come out that he's going to be fired and they are waiting on a replacement. People in the organization are too pussy to comment on it. Then today Gar Forman (who is just a cardboard cutout put in there so that Paxson can make the decisions because Paxson has think skin) gives vague answers that can be construed as Vinny being given a chance to turn things around to him being out the door soon.

Seriously, if you want a guy fired, fire him. Put in an interim on the staff till you have a suitable replacement. Letting a guy hang out there like a lame duck is an insult to the guy no matter how poor of a coach he is. If I was a big name head coach, there is no fucking chance in hell I look at Chicago as an option. Dealing with these low class front office people makes the organization look real bad.

Now they've won two games and looked decent (mind you it's against New Orleans and Indiana). The upcoming 7 games are not all that tough outside of one at home against Orlando. So lets say they go 5-2 in that stretch. Does that buy him more time? I just don't get what the fuck they are doing.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #598
whomario
Pro Starter

weird sequence at the end of the very entertaining Warriors-Celtics game a couple nights ago :

fast forward to about 4.10 to see the most amazing inbounds pass by Radmanovich
Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 AM   #599
whomario
Pro Starter

now Lamarcus Aldridge goes down with an ankle injury, what the hell is hapenning in Portland ? (edit : aparently itīs "only" a medium sprain, but still ...)

crazy game winning 3 by Anderson Varejao (!!) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkRanEvKZus

Lebron had an absolute monster game with 48/10/6 on 16-23 shooting Was highly entertaining, glad i stayed awake and decided on this one.

Other random observations :

- Yi looks very promising for New Jersey. The guy has some serious (scoring) skill and mobility, basically looks just like advertised before the draft. Real explosive athlete, too. Injured himself early in the season, now came back a couple games ago scoring 22, 17, 29 and 22. Nets still only won 1 of those 4 and are now an epic 3-29 ...

- Memphis now almost at 50% at 15-16 and they lost 8 of their first 9 games of the season. Since then they are 14-7. Thatīs a playoff calibre team. And shoot me now, but Zach Randolph looks great. Not just stats (24/14 in december) but heīs also moving the ball, running the floor at times and tries to stand in the way on defense. For him thatīs a giant step up.
His stats are allways there because heīs just a gifted player with great instincts on offense, though his last 6 are kind of ridiculous : 28/17 on 57% shooting.
Grizzlies are the best rebounding team in the league (Portland falling back now with both centers out obviously) , a whopping +5 and 14 offensive boards a game. Gasol also still a double double with 15/10.
The one thing they miss is a legit option off the bench to go with that starting 5.

Oh, and Steve Nash got some humour :

Last edited by whomario : 12-31-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #600
whomario
Pro Starter

How about the now 20-13 Rockets ? That game last night against Dallas was awesome (just finished watching the replay) .

22nd in FG%
15th in 3P%
22nd in FT attempted
1st in getting blocked (a whopping 7 times a game !)

21st in oponents FG percentage
15th in oposing 3P%
29th in blocked shots

so you have team that plays inefficient offense (for the exact same number of PPG the Celtics and Cavs need 7 less FGAs) and is below average defensively in terms of raw team stats, yet is 20-13 ?
They arenīt a good rebounding team either (17th in diferential) and are average at forcing turnovers (13th)

Their 9 man rotation :

-A starting PG with 5 assist to 3 TOs and 0.7 steals who still is well below average in terms of passing ability in vision (almost all his assists are easy passes to open shooters after drawing a help defender) and i shooting at an ok-above average rate (42%, 39% , ok Points per shot or similar stats)

-A starting SG taking the most shots and 3 point shots on the team despite shooting 37% from the field, 31% from 3, 65% from 3 and just topping 1.0 Points Per Shot. Who also does not play good defense at all, way too much gambdling.

- A starting SF averaging 8.5 PPG in over 33 minutes shooting 42%.

- A starting PF who shoots just 2 FTs a game resulting in a very pedestrian PPS and blocked 10 shots all year

- A starting C who averages 5/6, shoots 1 FT a game (high comedy, too) and blocked 13 shots all year.

- A 6th man PF who is their best inside scorer but averages 0.7 assists (and thus doesnīt open things up much)

- A backup PG who shoots 40% and 31% from 3

- A backup SG shooting 41% and 33% from 3 while just topping 1.0 Points Per Shot

- A backup PF shooting 42% and averaging 3 boards in 15 minutes.

Obviously i made an effort to pick the weaknesses, but itīs not like those are sidenotes but key stats.

So the fact that they are 20-13 is beyong incredible, statistically speaking.

What iīm saying : Watch a Rockets game if you want to see what "better than the sum of itīs parts" means in terms of a basketball team.

that should meet my homerism quota for the next week or so

OH, and a soon-to-be 36 year old Nash is posting basically the best stats of his career ... 18.4 PPG, 11.2 APG in 33 minutes. Shooting 54% from the field (best among perimeter players), 43% from 3 and 94% from the line (will likely be his 4th 50/40/90 season, since the 3 point line was put in this was reached only 6 other times, with only Bird doing it twice) and lis very close to leading the whole league in a couple advanced shooting statistics anfd does lead everybody in assist percentage and in offensive rating .
Steve Nash NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

Last edited by whomario : 01-01-2010 at 04:23 PM.