Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #551
whomario
Pro Starter

So the Grizzlies who have like the worst bench in the league do a trade that actually makes that bench even thinner ? (and only 11 players under contract now)

Ellington showed some ability from time to time in stretching the floor, which is still the Grizzlies biggest issue. I mean, their starting 2 can´t and doesn´t shoot while their PG is a mediocre (at best) shooter and their best remaining floor spacer is Quincy Pondexter (and even that might be a fluke, guy hit 3s below 30% in college and last season).
And then you go out and have Jerry Bayless be your backup 1/2 in the offseason ... Sure, why not add another slasher to the mix when you allready have propably the best low post scoring 4/5 combo in the game as well as Rudy Gay and 2 guards that aren´t shooters ?

Is it really a sign that Rudy Gay won´t be traded though ? If anything, this clears roster spots for a trade that would net them 2 or 3 players on short term contracts.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #552
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I agree, I am thinking this doesn't necessarily end the Gay trade rumors. This gets the team under the luxury tax for this season, but last I checked, Gay is being payed even more massively the next two seasons.

Maybe this a precursor to a Gay/Young for Gasol and Duhon deal, after which the Memphis GM will come out and say he is a big admirer of David Kahn's "PG & PFs, oh my!" philosophy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #553
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought the major thing for Memphis was to get under the tax. I suppose they could still trade Gay as well, but that would probably be tabled until the offseason. They can sign a bunch of 10 day contracts to get them through the rest of the season if needed.

And I just found-
---The Memphis Grizzlies will sign Bill Walker, Delonte West and Sasha Vujacic following their cap clearing trade on Tuesday.

Delonte West is better than any of the players they traded out.

Last edited by stevew : 01-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #554
miami_fan
Coordinator

So at what point do the Lakers sit Dwight Howard down and allow him to get healthy? If I am a Laker fan, that is the only thing that I can hang on to after watch the entire Bulls-Lakers game last night. If Dwight is actually healthy and is playing like this......? Well, wow
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #555
Groundhog
Coordinator

What's the point of sitting Dwight. If he wants to play, let him play. Can only drive his FA value down. I don't envision any of the teams that will have cap space (outside of maybe Dallas) would be of much interest to him, so maybe you get to re-sign a presumably healthy Dwight for next season, else you sign-and-trade and try bring back some depth.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #556
Groundhog
Coordinator

As for the Cavs trade.... well, it's a steal for us. Turning Leur, an 11th or 12th man calibre guy, into a player who instantly becomes our best frontcourt scorer (even if he doesn't do much else), as well as an NBA-level backup SG and a young guy who may or may not ever pan out is a pretty good deal IMO.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #557
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see the Cavs try to get Gasol for 35cents on the dollar. His contract is short...you could possibly resign him in 2014 as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #558
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
What's the point of sitting Dwight. If he wants to play, let him play. Can only drive his FA value down. I don't envision any of the teams that will have cap space (outside of maybe Dallas) would be of much interest to him, so maybe you get to re-sign a presumably healthy Dwight for next season, else you sign-and-trade and try bring back some depth.
The point would be to get him healthy enough for him to be the pre-back surgery Dwight instead of what I saw on the floor Monday night. Again that is if you believe his back and his back alone is keeping him from at least being a defensive presence. The offense side is not something I am too concerned about though I am still waiting on all those pick and rolls scenarios with Steve Nash that were talked about in the offseason. I admit, this was only the second full game that I have seen the Lakers with the other one being against the Heat. Based on that very small sample size , it comes down to one of two things for me when it comes to Dwight right now. Either his back is a bigger problem then anybody knows at which point he should sit or..... well let's just hope it is only the back that is the issue.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #559
Groundhog
Coordinator

Another horrible night for the Lakers and, in particular, Howard. Apparently he had some comments re: Kobe's shot attempts vs his own during the game, too.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #560
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Another horrible night for the Lakers and, in particular, Howard. Apparently he had some comments re: Kobe's shot attempts vs his own during the game, too.

It will be interesting to see how long his injury lasts. I saw the replay and went, "Wait, that was it?" It almost looks like somebody who wanted out.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #561
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ultimately this Lakers team is pretty much screwed. If Dwight gets out for zero compensation, you're looking at a team with few draft picks and shitty contracts thru 2014 at least. At that point they can try to reload, but will have no infrastructure in place and basically will have to pray people choose to assemble there. Plus Kobe will be lingering and coming off of a season where he made 30m dollars.

Last edited by stevew : 01-24-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #562
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know we say this every year and I guess at some point it will happen but is Dwight Howard going to give up the extra year and money that he could get from the Lakers?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #563
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if Dallas would want to mess around with Dwight, but the state income tax differences alone make their 88m/4years almost as good as 118/5years from LAL.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #564
rjolley
College Starter

Did Brown change his offense from what he ran last season? If so, why fire Brown 5 games into the season for a totally new system that doesn't take advantage of the players you have and a coach that has never shown he can take advantage of the area of the game you can dominate with, the post with the bigs and Kobe? This season is going down the tubes for the Lakers because management didn't make smart moves. If they wanted to go with D'Antoni's(sp?) system, they should've moved Gasol for a young wing early in the season. Having that system with 2 of the best bigs in the game right now and a great post-up guard makes no sense.

If I'm Howard, I stay in LA because they have a history of getting players to complement their stars and they aren't afraid to take chances. It's probably the best place for him to rebuild his image and make money on the endorsement side of the house. If he's concerned about winning championships, LA's probably his best option followed by Dallas.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #565
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Howard is soft. I was unsure about the Howard deal at the time (I have always thought a healthy Bynum was better than Howard), and his performance since he has been in LA has confirmed it.

I also think this really hurts his stock. You had the whole trade me/don't trade me ordeal. Then he gets out of Orlando and has no desire. The guy has no heart.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #566
korme
Go Reds

At 4 PM today live on NBA tv, New Orleans holding a press conference to unveil new mascot (Pelicans) and team colors.

I find it kind of odd they are doing it midseason, but whatever

Last edited by korme : 01-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #567
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So we get the Charlotte Hornets and the Seattle Supersonics back next year. Not bad.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #568
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
At 4 PM today live on NBA tv, New Orleans holding a press conference to unveil new mascot (Pelicans) and team colors.

I find it kind of odd they are doing it midseason, but whatever

Midseason reveal is because of the length of the season and retail ramifications. Clothing for 13/14 are due 2-15 and jerseys on 3-1. In the NFL you can do it in the offseason because there are usually 6 months between SB and the start of training camp.

3 teams are changing jerseys (Pelicans being one). 4th if Kings sale gets finalized in time. 9 teams are adding a new jersey to their collection next year. So 13 of the 30 teams have some new digs next year. (And no, I don't have pictures of them... yet)
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #569
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the logo's up @deadspin. little busy but not bad
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #570
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
the logo's up @deadspin. little busy but not bad

They linked to another website that held a logo design contest, and I agree with them that pretty much every one on there is better.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #571
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Chriscreamer had it up yesterday...

New Orleans Pelicans Logo Leaked? | Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net News and Blog : New Logos and New Uniforms news, photos, and rumours
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Midseason reveal is because of the length of the season and retail ramifications. Clothing for 13/14 are due 2-15 and jerseys on 3-1. In the NFL you can do it in the offseason because there are usually 6 months between SB and the start of training camp.

3 teams are changing jerseys (Pelicans being one). 4th if Kings sale gets finalized in time. 9 teams are adding a new jersey to their collection next year. So 13 of the 30 teams have some new digs next year. (And no, I don't have pictures of them... yet)

please post here more often, there's only like 8 nba fans here.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
So we get the Charlotte Hornets and the Seattle Supersonics back next year. Not bad.

hopefully, those were two great starter caps.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #574
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
please post here more often, there's only like 8 nba fans here.

So that means 5.5 of those posters are Lakers fans? This should be fun...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #575
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So that means 5.5 of those posters are Lakers fans? This should be fun...

Actually, I think the most common posters in this thread are whomario, stevew, Groundhog and Rainmaker, with me, TroyF, miami_fan, korme and some others in the mix. None of us are Lakers fans.

But you'll run into plenty here at one point or another.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #576
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kings sale unis ought to be easy, since it's just a reboot of the Sonics look. I think this is so MJ and company can go ahead and announce Charlotte Hornets 2.0
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #577
Groundhog
Coordinator

If that's the real Pelicans logo, it's about as good as a logo that features a pelican can be IMO.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #578
korme
Go Reds

Design team: Ok guys, the Cavs got rid of that color scheme. So let's ditch out unique blue/yellow/purple combination and become more like every other team, with a red/blue combo! Great.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #579
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Kings sale unis ought to be easy, since it's just a reboot of the Sonics look. I think this is so MJ and company can go ahead and announce Charlotte Hornets 2.0

It will be a completely new jersey for the Sonics. I can't say why but I'm 100% sure you will not see the old ones. It will be green/yellow of course but let's just say that I think you will be talking about NBA jerseys in 3 weeks and 6 days in this thread.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #580
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Design team: Ok guys, the Cavs got rid of that color scheme. So let's ditch out unique blue/yellow/purple combination and become more like every other team, with a red/blue combo! Great.

Cities flag is the colors of the team. I blame the city...

File:New Orleans, Louisiana flag.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure I'm sold on the Bird-De-Lis logo yet... Then again they are owned by the Saints so big shock...

New Orleans Pelicans Logos Unveiled | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE NEW ORLEANS HORNETS
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #581
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
It will be a completely new jersey for the Sonics. I can't say why but I'm 100% sure you will not see the old ones. It will be green/yellow of course but let's just say that I think you will be talking about NBA jerseys in 3 weeks and 6 days in this thread.

Unfortunate. I loved those classic Sonics jerseys.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #582
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Cities flag is the colors of the team. I blame the city...

File:New Orleans, Louisiana flag.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure I'm sold on the Bird-De-Lis logo yet... Then again they are owned by the Saints so big shock...

New Orleans Pelicans Logos Unveiled | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE NEW ORLEANS HORNETS

I just get so tired of teams having a unique color scheme, and then bailing on it for a more traditional one after a couple of years. (see: Grizzlies, Raptors, Bucks for recent examples). 85% of the league is red or blue.

Last edited by korme : 01-24-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Being the 19th team with red still means you probably sell more than being the only purple team.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #584
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Pelicans logo and uniform look very solid. Nice job considering it's the NBA.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #585
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I like the ones that said Sonics in the white ring. Hates the Red added ones when they made the finals with the needle and did not like the Durants with the white going down the sides to the bottom.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 01-24-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #586
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just get so tired of teams having a unique color scheme, and then bailing on it for a more traditional one after a couple of years. (see: Grizzlies, Raptors, Bucks for recent examples). 85% of the league is red or blue.

Same reason I hate MLB hats, they are all the same. 1/3 of the teams have a red blue combo in MLB. I swear it is worse in MLB.

A report I saw from a long time ago (although I contend that the Cavs wine color is not red)

http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2...lors-by-sport/
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #587
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, red & green is a horrible, horrible combination, and those jerseys were ugly as sin, same with the Bucks alt jersey with red. In the words of my gf: "red and green should never be seen".

I really like the Cavs wine and gold road jerseys this year, and I think in general I'm digging the more simplistic style of jerseys teams seem to be adopting recently.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #588
Groundhog
Coordinator

I must admit that I do like the old Bucks jerseys though, with the purple and green. Not the one with the actual deer on the front however.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Code:
2013 NBA All-Star Game Rosters Eastern Conference Starter Appearance LeBron James, F, MIA 9th Carmelo Anthony, F, NYK 6th Dwyane Wade, G, MIA 9th Rajon Rondo, G, BOS 4th Kevin Garnett, F, BOS 15th Reserve Appearance Kyrie Irving, G, CLE 1st Jrue Holiday, G, PHI 1st Tyson Chandler, C, NYK 1st Joakim Noah, C, CHI 1st Luol Deng, F, CHI 2nd Paul George, F, IND 1st Chris Bosh, F, MIA 8th Western Conference Starter Appearance Kobe Bryant, G, LAL 15th Kevin Durant, F, OKC 4th Chris Paul, G, LAC 6th Dwight Howard, C, LAL 7th Blake Griffin, F, LAC 3rd Reserve Appearance R. Westbrook, G, OKC 3rd James Harden, G, HOU 1st Tim Duncan, C, SAS 14th Tony Parker, G, SAS 5th L. Aldridge, F, POR 2nd David Lee, F, GS 2nd Zach Randolph, F, MEM 2nd
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #590
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think Steph Curry is a little unlucky.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #591
korme
Go Reds

I love that 'Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no)' is so much more likely than 'Celtics vs Lakers', or any combo Cs/Lakers matchup
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #592
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I think Steph Curry is a little unlucky.

Agreed... and I think Josh Smith's window is closing, which is unfortunate.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #593
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I really like the Cavs wine and gold road jerseys this year, and I think in general I'm digging the more simplistic style of jerseys teams seem to be adopting recently.

Agreed on that front... Cavs, Sixers, Jazz, Bucks, Nets (to an extent), Knicks (eliminating the black) have all gotten it right recently.

The Wizards new getups are better than their last ones, but they don't still look that great on TV. I'm so-so on the Warriors though, again, they're better than the previous ones.

The next jerseys that need a makeover are the Suns... can't stand the gray.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #594
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was about to ask who the oldest player to make his first All-Star game appearance was, thinking Chandler was at least 3-4 years older than 30... sheesh. Dude is a year younger than me. Damn HS'ers.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #595
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Even though this predates the championship team, I think this is my favorite look for the Sonics:

Clean, simple, classic.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #596
nol
Banned

Quote:
The next jerseys that need a makeover are the Suns... can't stand the gray.

The Suns are definitely a team I would not mind seeing go back to their early 90s uniforms.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #597
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The Pelicans logo and uniform look very solid. Nice job considering it's the NBA.

Agreed.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #598
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't think the Cavs colors work for the Pelicans at all. Ruins what would have been a great logo.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #599
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. Feels very generic and boring, and the Hornets are one of the few interesting color schemes left in the league. For some reason when I think Pelicans I think of a deep purple and black.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #600
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I was about to ask who the oldest player to make his first All-Star game appearance was, thinking Chandler was at least 3-4 years older than 30... sheesh. Dude is a year younger than me. Damn HS'ers.

Sam Cassell?