Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #551
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I really don't get how some people are going with their votes right now. Taking myself out of the equation, I still don't understand how people are voting.

I am ranking each pick by its catagory. Maple Leafs has two picks that are in catagories that have hardly been picked for yet (Children's and History) so his score for me is a bit inflated. I'm also curving down Poem and Sports, the two I have you at #1 for, since I know shit about those subjects. I suspect you'll do better on my board once you start picking for the other catagories.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #552
Warhammer
Pro Starter

That makes sense.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #553
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hmmm, I wonder which category i'm going to next...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #554
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Fiction
Single Short Story
Poem: 2.5 - The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
Fantasy/Science Fiction
Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) 3.6 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
Sport Related: 4.5 - Friday Night Lights, H.G. Bissinger
Children's: 5.6 - Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
Non-Fiction: 1.6 - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin
Biography/Autobiography
History

Leaving behind the toddlers, we come to the meat of what children's literature is really about: bloody swordfights and pirate treasure, adventure on the high seas and peg-legged drunks all entwined in a coming-of-age tale that has dramatically shaped our cultural image of pirates--and adventure stories period. Plus we now get annual Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yaaar.

Last edited by NoMyths : 02-25-2008 at 06:03 PM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #555
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think i'm going in one of two directions with the next pick, based on how the intervening picks shake out.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #556
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

my next pick I obviously meant
Old 02-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #557
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Well, be sure to get your list ready in advance.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #558
Buccaneer
Head Coach

To add on to what sab said, here are my winners by categories (so far):
  1. Fiction Axxon (my one bias pick)
  2. Single Short Story Chief Rum
  3. Poem cartman
  4. Fantasy/Science Fiction cartman
  5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) Axxon
  6. Sport Related Warhammer
  7. Children's Maple Leafs
  8. Non-Fiction Izulde
  9. Biography/Autobiography
  10. History Chief Rum
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #559
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh I have 2 works in mind, with a backup in one category, and multiple backups in the other. Not going to submit them or anything...it'd be too complicated to go "if x number of people choose this category then go with this pick, otherwise go with this other pick"
Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #560
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
To add on to what sab said, here are my winners by categories (so far):
  1. Fiction Axxon (my one bias pick)
  2. Single Short Story Chief Rum
  3. Poem cartman
  4. Fantasy/Science Fiction cartman
  5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) Axxon
  7. Children's Maple Leafs
  8. Non-Fiction Izulde
  9. Biography/Autobiography
  10. History Chief Rum

doesn't hold much weight till all the picks are done. there's still plenty of quality literature out there available.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-25-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #561
sabotai
General Manager

I'll throw out my catagory leaders

Fiction: Maple Leafs (out of 6)
Short Story: cartman (out of 3)
Poem: Warhammer (out of 8)
Fantasy/Scifi: st.cronin (out of 5)
Series: cartman (out of 7)
Sports: Warhammer (out of 3)
Children's: Maple Leafs (out of 4)
Non-Fiction: Izulde (out of 3)
Bio/Autobio: larrymgc421 (out of 4)
History: Maple Leafs (out of a whole bunch of picks in this my favorite catagory!!! I mean 2)
Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #562
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Fiction - 3.7 Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Single Short Story - 5.7 Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Poem - 1.7 The Iliad - Homer
Fantasy/Science Fiction -
Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) - 2.4 The Cronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Sport Related 4.4 Ball Four by Jim Bouton
Children's
Non-Fiction
Biography/Autobiography
History

My fifth round pick is the 1960 Hugo award winner for best short story. It was made into the movie Charly and was later expanded by the author into a novel that ran 324 pages and won the Hugo for best novel in 1968. However, I am sticking with the original 60 page short story that many of you read in high school.

For clarification purposes, the short story was originally published in a magazine, however it was published as part of a compilation of short stories: Flowers for Algernon and Other Stories 1ST PB Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Flowers-Algern...984652&sr=1-28
Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #563
Izulde
Head Coach

I'd completely forgotten that Flowers for Algernon was a short story first. I've never read the SS version FWIW, only the full-length novel, which is an awesome read.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #564
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Apparently the novel had some puberty flashbacks and a love story with his teacher which were not in the original. Most high schools use the short story version because there are fewer morally ambiguous situations supposedly.

I came at this from the opposite side, I had read the short story, but never read the novel. That is why I had the disclaimer down there because I had to dig for a version of the original that was not a magazine.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #565
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This might not be my best pick, but it is certainly solid for the category and could have been used in sci-fi as well. However, this is my most important pick because it fills in the one category that my originals authors were already picked and I needed a solid pick here.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #566
Izulde
Head Coach

Now we just need Larry to get on before I can make my pick.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #567
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Fiction: Izulde (out of 6)
Short Story: cartman (out of 3)
Poem: DaddyTorgo (close call here between him, Izulde and Warhammer) (out of 8)
Fantasy/Scifi: Axxon(out of 5)
Series: Axxon (out of 7)
Sports: NoMyths (out of 3)
Children's: DaddyTorgo (NoMyths at 1B) (out of 4)
Non-Fiction: larrymcg421 (out of 3)
Bio/Autobio: larrymgc421 (out of 4)
History: --abstain-- (Anne Frank shoulda been in Bio!) (out of 2)

Last edited by MrDNA : 02-25-2008 at 06:31 PM.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #568
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I am ranking each pick by its catagory. Maple Leafs has two picks that are in catagories that have hardly been picked for yet (Children's and History) so his score for me is a bit inflated. I'm also curving down Poem and Sports, the two I have you at #1 for, since I know shit about those subjects. I suspect you'll do better on my board once you start picking for the other catagories.

This is basically exactly how I'm (trying) to rate things. However, I'm not curving any categories down.

NoMyths hits another solid pick, but I think he's still a solid 3rd in the category behind Brothers Grimm and Dr. Seuss.

Since it's the hip thing to do lately..
  1. Fiction Maple Leafs
  2. Single Short Story cartman
  3. Poem Warhammer
  4. Fantasy/Science Fiction Maple Leafs (very unsure of this pick though...definitely a toss-up in my mind)
  5. Series (A set of books continuing the same story and intended to be read sequentially) cartman
  7. Children's Maple Leafs or DaddyTorgo (I suck, I can't decide)
  8. Non-Fiction Izulde
  9. Biography/Autobiography Chief Rum (with larry a very close second...I really like the pick of Mein Kampf)
  10. History Chief Rum
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #569
Vince
Pro Starter

Oh, and I also like the Flowers for Algernon pick. Not glitzy, but a good, solid pick.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #570
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I really don't get how some people are going with their votes right now. Taking myself out of the equation, I still don't understand how people are voting.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Though there has been a ton more "this is how I would vote right now" going on during this draft than in any other I've read, I think most of us are simply amusing ourselves commenting on selections so far for fun, and probably some people who never read this thread will vote, and many of us "scoring at home" will start over from scratch when the voting starts.

And I'm sure that every one of us that have ranked selections so far have our own totally separate ways of doing things. Personally, I don't have a list that I expect to see that I'm judging based on, I just look at each category once its full and go from there and see what/who jumps out at me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #571
Izulde
Head Coach

Hope Larry or LS, if he has Larry's list, manages to get here soonish. I want to grab supper while I can still use my meal plan.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #572
Izulde
Head Coach

Eh, I'm going to go eat. I'll be back in an hour, two at the very latest. LS, I know you have my list, but I prefer to announce my own picks and I should be back shortly after larry picks, if not before that, so is that okay?

*goes to eat*

Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #573
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Though there has been a ton more "this is how I would vote right now" going on during this draft than in any other I've read, I think most of us are simply amusing ourselves commenting on selections so far for fun, and probably some people who never read this thread will vote, and many of us "scoring at home" will start over from scratch when the voting starts.

And I'm sure that every one of us that have ranked selections so far have our own totally separate ways of doing things. Personally, I don't have a list that I expect to see that I'm judging based on, I just look at each category once its full and go from there and see what/who jumps out at me.

I'm certainly thankful for your support.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #574
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Yes, yes. I'm pretty much just keeping myself amused while I'm home sick from substitute teaching and cleaning my room. I'm almost certainly going to wipe the slate clean when we have full closure of the draft, and those wonderful "sleeper" picks aren't going to be as amazing looking once the draft is done and we can compare each selection to its fellows in each category. Until we have 10 selections for any one category, I don't think it's really possible to give a fair judgement on any of the picks, really.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #575
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Well, it is like mid-season college football polls.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #576
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
(Anne Frank shoulda been in Bio!)
I don't know, I think there's a pretty fair difference between a biography (written after the fact, with reflection) and a diary. Not sure I would have been punished for calling it a biography, but I don't think it's a clean fit.

Now if you mean if should have been there strategically, then yes, it looks like you might be right.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #577
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm really intending to bring it hard with my last few categories - I foresee myself taking a huge lead by the end
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #578
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My remaining picks will be categorized as "Slap yo' mamma" picks. Meaning once you see the brilliance of them, you will slap yo' mamma and scream "now why didn't I think of that!"

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #579
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My remaining picks will be categorized as "Slap yo' mamma" picks. Meaning once you see the brilliance of them, you will slap yo' mamma and scream "now why didn't I think of that!"

ditto
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #580
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You guys are heavily penalizing Axxon for his Non-Fiction (King) pick?
Yes, definitely. For me it is probably the worst pick of the draft so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #581
wade moore
lolzcat

I'll do my category leaders tomorrow morning, but wanted to say:

I have 3 picks that have not been selected yet that will give major bonus points for someone if they pick them:

One in Poetry
One in Children's
One in Short Story

Not that I'm the end all be all, just sharing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #582
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yes, definitely. For me it is probably the worst pick of the draft so far.

that or Cronins biography pick
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #583
Calis
College Starter

There's one fiction pick I'm really hoping to see go, and could possibly be my vote swinger. I wonder if it'll even get picked though.

It's one of the most read books in the history of the world, but not really popular in the West so I'm not sure how well it'd go over as a pick. It'll get points from me though.

Man, I'd actually like to see a draft like this done for every one of these categories broken down further. It's been enjoyable to read.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #584
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I don't know, I think there's a pretty fair difference between a biography (written after the fact, with reflection) and a diary. Not sure I would have been punished for calling it a biography, but I don't think it's a clean fit.

Now if you mean if should have been there strategically, then yes, it looks like you might be right.

The category is biography or autobiography.

The Diary counts as autobiography, which is where I'd personally have put it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #585
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
There's one fiction pick I'm really hoping to see go, and could possibly be my vote swinger. I wonder if it'll even get picked though.

It's one of the most read books in the history of the world, but not really popular in the West so I'm not sure how well it'd go over as a pick. It'll get points from me though.

Man, I'd actually like to see a draft like this done for every one of these categories broken down further. It's been enjoyable to read.

no more hintizing or you might blow my pick (don't really think so though)
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #586
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

I know exactly what book you are refering to. There are two popular books that would blow everything out of the water but actually don't know what categories they would go in.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #587
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'll do my category leaders tomorrow morning, but wanted to say:

I have 3 picks that have not been selected yet that will give major bonus points for someone if they pick them:

One in Poetry
One in Children's
One in Short Story

Not that I'm the end all be all, just sharing .

I still have 2 picks for Poem (with 2 left to pick), one the will be ranked highly and the other maybe not so highly, one Children's that will probably be 1 or 2 on my board, and 1 Fantasy/Sci-Fi (or Fiction...depending on who gets it I suppose) that will be ranked highly if someone takes it.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #588
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Diary counts as autobiography, which is where I'd personally have put it.
Does it, though? Isn't an autobiography typically considered to be something that's written after-the-fact, with reflection and context?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #589
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Does it, though? Isn't an autobiography typically considered to be something that's written after-the-fact, with reflection and context?

That's what I was thinking. It's iffy, IMO. I won't penalize for the pick not being in Autobiography, but I can see why someone would put diaries and journals in Autobiography.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #590
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I would argue that an autobiography is any work written by the author about his/her life. Whether it's written as events are occurring or written after the fact, as long as the condition of the author writing about his/her own life is met, it counts as an autobiography in my opinion.

I'm not quibbling with it in History, by the way. I just think it fits better as an Autobio.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #591
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Gotta chime in to say that Atlas Shrugged, added to his other picks, has cartman with a slight edge over Maple Leafs for the top spot on my board.

Agree though that there are at least seven participants in striking distance of the win, though. Love this thread.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #592
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree with Izulde. The Diary (or any diaries/journals) is considered a historical document only in hindsight. The author(s) wrote without the perspective of history.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #593
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Gotta chime in to say that Atlas Shrugged, added to his other picks, has cartman with a slight edge over Maple Leafs for the top spot on my board.

Yay!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #594
MrDNA
High School Varsity

There is one children's, two short stories, two histories and one sports (almost certainly not to be picked) that would really sway my vote at this point. If the Children's isn't picked, I may cry.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #595
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
There is one children's, two short stories, two histories and one sports (almost certainly not to be picked) that would really sway my vote at this point. If the Children's isn't picked, I may cry.

If you tell me what to pick, I'll take it!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #596
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have 1 children's, 3 histories, 1 sports and 1 non-fiction(?) that each would win their categories.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #597
Izulde
Head Coach

It kinda sucks sitting here for hours for your turn to come up when you've got your next few moves laid out.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #598
cartman
Death Herald

It's been a while since the last pick. Is larrymcg421 currently on the clock?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #599
Izulde
Head Coach

He's been on the clock for a little over 2 hours, I think, yeah.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #600
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Sorry guys, I was tied up longer than expected tonight. I think I have a list for larrymcg, let me check.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote