Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #551
tarcone
Coordinator

Tyler Cook went to Iowa. He would be a great fit at Mizzou. And he is the type of player Porter will get.

Why didnt he get them at Washington? Maybe distance? But he did get Porter, Jr. And that was why he was hired.

I dont think you understand the poor relationship between Mizzou and St Louis. It dates back to Norm Stewart. He pissed off the man of St louis basketball, Floyd Irons. This guy was, literally, the godfather of St louis Hoops. And he kept Mizzou out after that. And that continues to today, for whatever reason.

And, again, there is some serious talent. I went to a sectional game last season. It featured Jason Tatum. But on the floor with him was a kid that went to Iowa, One that went to Yale, one that went to Eastern Illinois and one that went to Kansas St.

Where was Mizzou in this? Nowhere. Because they cant recruit the area.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #552
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Tyler Cook went to Iowa. He would be a great fit at Mizzou. And he is the type of player Porter will get.

Why didnt he get them at Washington? Maybe distance? But he did get Porter, Jr. And that was why he was hired.

I dont think you understand the poor relationship between Mizzou and St Louis. It dates back to Norm Stewart. He pissed off the man of St louis basketball, Floyd Irons. This guy was, literally, the godfather of St louis Hoops. And he kept Mizzou out after that. And that continues to today, for whatever reason.

And, again, there is some serious talent. I went to a sectional game last season. It featured Jason Tatum. But on the floor with him was a kid that went to Iowa, One that went to Yale, one that went to Eastern Illinois and one that went to Kansas St.

Where was Mizzou in this? Nowhere. Because they cant recruit the area.

Mizzou is nothing like most programs. It's the only major program in a state with two major cities with good size amounts of talent at their disposal. There's more than enough talent to fuel a major program in those two cities. It's a luxury that many programs don't have and it's a luxury that has not been cornered in some time.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #553
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. what a whirlwind for Mizzou.. watching college basketball will once again be something at our house!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #554
MrBug708
Head Coach

With Martin, it's not a talent issue, it's a coaching issue. I do wonder the excuses we will hear by year 3
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #555
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hoosiers to hire Archie Miller.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...diana-hoosiers

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-25-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #556
MrBug708
Head Coach

Solid hire for Indiana. Probably on their second tiers of hiring.

Should have been Alford
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #557
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like Miller and think this could be a really good hire, but disappointing when you've been thinking Billy Donovan. Pretty confident he will do better than Crean. And delighted that we didn't get stuck with Alford.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-25-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #558
MrBug708
Head Coach

Only one guy really thought Donovan was interviewed but it's looking like that was false.

The time line reeks of Alford turning them down, which is odd. Must have been some sticking point with him and Indiana
Old 03-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #559
Kodos
Resident Alien

I heard Alford basically said offer me or I'm out, and Glass had still had a higher option, so no offer. Who knows what happened? Still have a Donovan hangover, but I've liked Miller for years, and am excited to see what he can do. Very happy it's not Alford. (No offense.)

Last edited by Kodos : 03-25-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #560
rowech
Pro Starter

Any possibility Alford would have felt like he was betraying Knight?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #561
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
With Martin, it's not a talent issue, it's a coaching issue. I do wonder the excuses we will hear by year 3

I agree with both sides on this one. MrBug is absolutely correct that Martin doesn't appear to know how to coach very talented recruits. The entire Mizzou message board basically said the same thing when they thought Marshall/Creen were on the table.

On the flip side Martin is a game changer in St. Louis. That is a huge recruiting area that Mizzou has been shut out on for a long time. A local star (the guy is a legend in East St. Louis) is going to make way more inroads than an old white former Norm Stewart player/assistant was able to.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #562
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I heard Alford basically said offer me or I'm out, and Glass had still had a higher option, so no offer. Who knows what happened? Still have a Donovan hangover, but I've liked Miller for years, and am excited to see what he can do. Very happy it's not Alford. (No offense.)

No offense taken from us UCLA folks. Knowledgeable Bruins fans know Alford is a mixed bag at best. I'm curious to see how he does now that he has the recruiting gravy train going better, and his son is out of eligibility (ending the nepotism which had the coach continually playing his no effort defense son over more talented players).

I was uncertain how I felt about him possibly going to IU. I can't stand him in a lot of ways, but it was a good team this year and he has a very strong class coming in next year, too, and with an excellent shot to nab the "next superstar" in Bagley in 2018. Also, UCLA's AD has a terrible track record for major coaching hires.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #563
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

No worries. He doesn't have a son clouding his judgement so maybe he will figure out things. I like Archie more, but I wouldn't say he is a higher option either. Bait Alford seems pretty arrogant and this might like have been his last hurrah at the job
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #564
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No offense taken from us UCLA folks. Knowledgeable Bruins fans know Alford is a mixed bag at best. I'm curious to see how he does now that he has the recruiting gravy train going better, and his son is out of eligibility (ending the nepotism which had the coach continually playing his no effort defense son over more talented players).

I was uncertain how I felt about him possibly going to IU. I can't stand him in a lot of ways, but it was a good team this year and he has a very strong class coming in next year, too, and with an excellent shot to nab the "next superstar" in Bagley in 2018. Also, UCLA's AD has a terrible track record for major coaching hires.

If heard the Bagley train has sailed for a Nike school
Old 03-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #565
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If heard the Bagley train has sailed for a Nike school

Wouldn't doubt that at all, but where did you hear that?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #566
MrBug708
Head Coach

A friend who talks with a couple former UCLA players and a writer from a different recruiting site.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #567
miami_fan
Coordinator

Calkins: NCAA should give Memphis its banner back

I agree.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #568
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Remember when you are cursing him in two years for not making the Elite 8 that there is an entire fanbase about two hours East that would kill to have him back.

But good for Archie. We were lucky to have him three years beyond the elite 8 run, as I thought someone would be snapping him up long before then.

Seems like the Intel I heard was right, he was holding out for a really big job, hopefully IU or Ohio State.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #569
Atocep
Coordinator

Larvar Ball is insane

Coaching LaVar Ball’s sons: Inside high school basketball’s most chaotic 30-3 season | For The Win
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #570
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's the biggest icon in college sports though
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #571
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's the biggest con in college sports though

Fixed it.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #572
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Spare me.

Tiger High is probably lucky it wasn't shut down at some point.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #573
Thomkal
Head Coach

Any Oklahoma State fans here? Their new head coach had his first coaching job at Coastal Carolina. So you know he's going to be good

New Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton began career with Coastal Carolina | The Sun News

His first head coaching job, so it seems a bit of a reach to go with him in a Power 5 conference team.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #574
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Any Oklahoma State fans here? Their new head coach had his first coaching job at Coastal Carolina. So you know he's going to be good

New Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton began career with Coastal Carolina | The Sun News

His first head coaching job, so it seems a bit of a reach to go with him in a Power 5 conference team.

The problem is T. Boone only cares about football so there's no money for basketball. Underwood took the job at a little over $1 mil per with an agreement to rework it after a year if they did well. They refused to rework the deal and Illinois was offering to more than double his pay.

That's how you end up with a 1st time head coach in a P5 basketball conference.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-28-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #575
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Spare me.

Tiger High is probably lucky it wasn't shut down at some point.

I was living there when all this went down. It was typical NCAA crap. Did they probably cheat? Sure, my issue was then, and is now, if you can't prove it, you can't punish.

It's the old NCAA adage, the NCAA was so mad and frustrated for everything USC football did, they placed the North Texas football program on probation.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #576
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The problem is T. Boone only cares about football so there's no money for basketball. Underwood took the job at a little over $1 mil per with an agreement to rework it after a year I'd they did well. They refused to rework the deal and Illinois was offering to more than double his pay.

That's how you end up with a 1st time head coach in a P5 basketball conference.

Yep that would explain it, hope he does well there regardless.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-28-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #577
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I was living there when all this went down. It was typical NCAA crap. Did they probably cheat? Sure, my issue was then, and is now, if you can't prove it, you can't punish.

It's the old NCAA adage, the NCAA was so mad and frustrated for everything USC football did, they placed the North Texas football program on probation.

Wasn't Rose's SAT ruled invalid by the ETS because he refused to respond to issues and questions about whether he was the one that took the test? If his SAT was invalid then he was ineligible. Pretty simple.

Is it bullshit because the school didn't know about the ETS inquiries? Maybe, but this is also the danger of going after guys with shady backgrounds and handlers. Considering there were whispers about Rose and his SAT and eligibility from the time he signed its not like Cal didn't have an idea of what may happen.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #578
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Georgia Tech heads to the NIT final for the first time since I was (almost) 4 years old.

Since 1971.

I'm pretty sure they may have played the game in black & white at that point.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #579
digamma
Torchbearer

I was pretty skeptical of the Pastner hire, but he's made this season exciting, which is way, way beyond my wildest expectations.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I was pretty skeptical of the Pastner hire, but he's made this season exciting, which is way, way beyond my wildest expectations.

I fear that we might be seeing his best shot first, but it's been a darned good piece of work regardless of whatever follows. "Overachieving" is one helluva understatement. He has absolutely maximized what he had to work with.

There has to be continued growth, an incoming talent upgrade, AND he has to find ways to keep his rosters buying into the plan. Those aren't always easy but he's at least a solid A grade for year one.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, for those who weren't around at the time, it really was a different universe back then. GT chose to play in the NIT, turning down an NCAA bid to do so.

Georgia Tech chose NIT over NCAA in 1971
Old 03-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #582
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Wasn't Rose's SAT ruled invalid by the ETS because he refused to respond to issues and questions about whether he was the one that took the test? If his SAT was invalid then he was ineligible. Pretty simple.

Is it bullshit because the school didn't know about the ETS inquiries? Maybe, but this is also the danger of going after guys with shady backgrounds and handlers. Considering there were whispers about Rose and his SAT and eligibility from the time he signed its not like Cal didn't have an idea of what may happen.

Yeah, but that happened AFTER he was declared eligible. So they were told, everything is good. Then after everything goes down, "oh, by the way, since the guy never answered our inquiries, we're hitting you with this."

It was complete and utter crap. There was even talk locally when it came up in January or February of that year.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #583
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass' 2nd attempt appears it will be hiring Matt McCall from UT-Chattanooga. Former Billy Donovan assistant, much shorter track record (only 2 years HC experience), hoping for the best (and you know, him not backing out!)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #584
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Incidentally, for those who weren't around at the time, it really was a different universe back then. GT chose to play in the NIT, turning down an NCAA bid to do so.

Georgia Tech chose NIT over NCAA in 1971

Crazy they took down those NIT banners, but yeah...I'd say it'd be time to put them back up. I get it, too big for britches and don't feel like you need to recognize the past but..man, that'd sting if it were me on that club. At least he has it at home.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #585
tarcone
Coordinator

AP All-Time Top 100 | NCAA Men's Basketball

All time top 100

Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A: 7 turnovers, 0-2 from the line, and 0-8 from the floor in a ten minute stretch.

Q: How do you lose an NIT final by 32 points
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #587
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Rah, Rah TCU!!
Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #588
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Patrick Ewing hired at Georgetown.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #589
miami_fan
Coordinator

Because they saw how well bringing in a former player worked for St. John?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #590
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Ewing has 14 years of coaching experience. Mullin had 0.

I'm skeptical, but that's an apples to herpes comparison.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-03-2017 at 06:02 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #591
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, no idea if Ewing will work, but he's certainly done his dues as far as accruing assistant experience in the NBA before a head coaching gig.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #592
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Ewing has 14 years of coaching experience. Mullin had 0.

I'm skeptical, but that's an apples to herpes comparison.

Because an NBA coaching job is the same as an a college coaching job? Come on now, let's not be silly.

I wish him the best of luck but if Derek Fisher and Jason Kidd could get a job right out of the gate in the NBA, Ewing deserved a shot at a NBA head coaching job with his NBA coaching experience. Given the current state of the program Georgetown deserved a chance to make a break from John Thompson Jr.'s "family" tree and hire a young coach with college experience to take over that program.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #593
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Because an NBA coaching job is the same as an a college coaching job? Come on now, let's not be silly.

Because 14 years coaching experience is the same thing as 0? Come on now, let's not be silly.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #594
tarcone
Coordinator

A lot of head coaching is who you surround yourself with.

And I imagine he will get his share of bigs. Who wouldnt want to be coached by Ewing?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #595
kingfc22
Head Coach

Collins for Gonzaga is going to be an All American before he graduates.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #596
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Collins for Gonzaga is going to be an All American before he graduates.

Unlikely. He might be going pro this year.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #597
HerRealName
College Prospect

Can someone please take the whistles away from these refs? Let them play
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #598
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Can someone please take the whistles away from these refs? Let them play

Huge +1. Ridiculous in the national title game
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #599
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Huge +1. Ridiculous in the national title game

Glad I'm not the only one yelling at my TV to let them play.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #600
RedKingGold
College Starter

Good game refs. Good job, good effort.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote