Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #551
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Fine with Kaepernick depending on the compensation but they can draft a running back in the middle rounds who would be as good or better than Morris

Agree man. I would be fine with Kaep for a 4th round and a 6th rounder or a 3rd and 5th rounders something like that. But if it is true they are asking for 2 2nds or a 2nd and 3rd or even our 3rd and swapping our number 1 with their number 2 screw that. I also agree we can draft a pair a rbs in the draft. The zone blocking offense creates stars so not a major concern. I would also be ok saying f it and taking RG3 for a year or two and drafting someone like Hoagn out of Stanford to groom him. I am not sure Sieman is anything more than a backup.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #552
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Yup. Clearly.

Brock Osweiller did what's best for him : $37M guaranteed money vs $17M guaranteed <-- seems like an abvious no-brainer

Denver did what they thought was best for them : not invest in someone they apparently do no trust "that much". Might be easier for them not to pay for Osweiller since they just won a SuperBowl.

I won't miss the guy but don't blame for leaving. He actually was offered 30 million guaranteed compared to the 37m the Texans gave him. It is likely he did have hurt feelings about the benching and also wanted to play in the Bill Obrien offense.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #553
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think the most surprising news of the day is that Manziel is still with the Browns.

Now he's been cut.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #554
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Now he's been cut.

Show him the money!
Attached Images
File Type: png money.png (560.6 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 03-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #555
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Now he's been cut.

Cue: Jerry Jones in 5..4..3...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #556
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Mark Sanchez to Denver. I don't hate Sanchez as a backup, but I think it's clear by now that Sanchez is not a #1. It seems that this might be a leadup to a Kaepernick trade. Kaepernick was awesome in his first year as a starter, but declined steadily. Truly odd career arc so far. Maybe a scenery change will help. It's hard to view a guy as good when he's had a couple of truly rough seasons in a row.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #557
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #558
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, do we collectively now look back on that magical year 2012 as the crazy year of the pistol formation, read option, offense that flamed brightly but then got "solved" by NFL defenses?

We know RGIII was tremendous, especially down the stretch, in that rookie season. But it wasn't as simple as him being a great runner (though he was), he was throwing with really impressive accuracy. Kaepernick took the reins midseason and by the end of that year he was looking like a house on fire, too. It wasn't far fetched to be looking at those two guys and feeling like we really could be watching the advent of a really serious mobile-QB NFL offense that could really work... in ways that always had seemed the exception, not the rule.

RGIII got hurt, got it. But that might not really be the whole story -- when he got healthy-ish again, he simply wasn't effective throwing. And Kaep... uh, I really don't know what happened there. Does anyone?

Cam Newton remains a running threat, but they aren't really using a gadget offense there (I think they fold in read option, but it's not the meat and potatoes)... but he's really the only guy we fear that way in the league. So, back to the exception, not the rule.

Anyway... I wonder if these two guys, both with serious wheels to go with whatever actual passing skills they had, just landed in a great moment in time?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #559
MikeVic
Head Coach

flere - Yes!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #560
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, do we collectively now look back on that magical year 2012 as the crazy year of the pistol formation, read option, offense that flamed brightly but then got "solved" by NFL defenses?

We know RGIII was tremendous, especially down the stretch, in that rookie season. But it wasn't as simple as him being a great runner (though he was), he was throwing with really impressive accuracy. Kaepernick took the reins midseason and by the end of that year he was looking like a house on fire, too. It wasn't far fetched to be looking at those two guys and feeling like we really could be watching the advent of a really serious mobile-QB NFL offense that could really work... in ways that always had seemed the exception, not the rule.

RGIII got hurt, got it. But that might not really be the whole story -- when he got healthy-ish again, he simply wasn't effective throwing. And Kaep... uh, I really don't know what happened there. Does anyone?

Cam Newton remains a running threat, but they aren't really using a gadget offense there (I think they fold in read option, but it's not the meat and potatoes)... but he's really the only guy we fear that way in the league. So, back to the exception, not the rule.

Anyway... I wonder if these two guys, both with serious wheels to go with whatever actual passing skills they had, just landed in a great moment in time?

Russell Wilson found a way to keep the read option quite relevant. So what is it about Seattle's passing attack, which remains very effective, that separates it from what Kaepernick and Griffin have done? Is it injury? The big flaw with relying on this at the college level is the accumulated hits on the quarterback. Wilson seems to have this magic ability to avoid getting blown up.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #561
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I heard someone mention that SF had the ability to see how much time the QBs spent watching film on their tablets over the course of the season, and that Gabbert had, like, four times as much viewing time as Kaep. And the context of the quote was not that Gabbert was a film junkie.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #562
Thomkal
Head Coach

nice to see a flere-toon again
Old 03-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #563
Galaril
Pro Starter

[quote=Solecismic;3088997]Mark Sanchez to Denver.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #564
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
nice to see a flere-toon again

Just a re-post. You can find them all at Index of /images . One day I'll reorganize them properly.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #565
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I honestly do think it's this simple. To date, everything in the NFL seems to get solved eventually.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #566
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I heard someone mention that SF had the ability to see how much time the QBs spent watching film on their tablets over the course of the season, and that Gabbert had, like, four times as much viewing time as Kaep. And the context of the quote was not that Gabbert was a film junkie.

That sounds like somebody trying to justify the fact that they took one of the most devastating running QBs in league history (who had never played in a pro style offense and didn't really have the skills for it) and turn him into a pocket passer and then were surprised he wasn't an immediate success

Personally I think Kaep would have a massive bounce back year under Kelly if given the chance and I don't really understand the trade demand in the first place, other than the fact he wants out of the circus
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #567
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Just a re-post. You can find them all at Index of /images . One day I'll reorganize them properly.

still nice to see one again .
Old 03-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #568
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I always found it odd that teams that relied so heavily on the read option didn't have serviceable backups that were athletic enough to run as well.

I mean....sure it isn't easy to find the special talents (or perceived talents) like Kaep or RG3....but it isn't like guys like Vince Young or Tebow or many college QBs that ran were not available. And if no other purpose, just using them occasionally to absorb hits, would have made sense to me.

To that point....I think it's the NFL hits that essentially make those offenses short term. Or, coupled with the win-now mandate and coach turnover anyway. You'd really have to commit to such an offense to make it interchangebale enough and that's just not something NFL teams are willing to do.

I think what Wilson does is about as close to it. Similar to the fun-n-gun....it's just an occasional thing (but for different reasons ).

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 03-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #569
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I always found it odd that teams that relied so heavily on the read option didn't have serviceable backups that were athletic enough to run as well.

I mean....sure it isn't easy to find the special talents (or perceived talents) like Kaep or RG3....but it isn't like guys like Vince Young or Tebow or many college QBs that ran were not available. And if no other purpose, just using them occasionally to absorb hits, would have made sense to me.

To that point....I think it's the NFL hits that essentially make those offenses short term. Or, coupled with the win-now mandate and coach turnover anyway. You'd really have to commit to such an offense to make it interchangebale enough and that's just not something NFL teams are willing to do.

I think what Wilson does is about as close to it. Similar to the fun-n-gun....it's just an occasional thing (but for different reasons ).

I think the thing that gives Wilson staying power is that he actually has significant pocket QB skills and only really uses his athleticism to buy time/ find throwing lanes or make plays less mobile QB's can't. I think Griffin has similar ability, but things in Washington snowballed so bad that it put the brakes on his development. I think Kaepernick is the one that really needs his skills to be wrapped in a specific style of offense. His accuracy and ability to make QB plays is just not there in my opinion.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #570
Radii
Head Coach

Denver has the best defense in football but will be facing an attack it has yet to face before - NFL

Carolina's Running Game
SPLIT ATT YDS YDS/CARRY RANK
Under center 261 726 2.78 30
Shotgun/pistol 265 1,556 5.87 3

Cam Newton is the key to the Panthers’ unstoppable run game - SBNation.com

The second article shows a good number of examples of how Carolina would use the read option and different looks around it to freeze defenses throughout the year.

It didn't work against Denver, but it still helps show exactly how important the Read Option was to Carolina's success.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #571
SteveMax58
College Starter

Anyone know why Reggie Nelson doesn't seem to have much interest?

It's been a while since I've seen him play but I seem to have this notion that he's this solid FS with decent play making skills. Is he just getting old in football terms? Or did I just have the wrong view of him?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #572
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He's probably asking for more than a 32 year old will get.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #573
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Cue: Jerry Jones in 5..4..3...

I guess even the Cowboys have learned their lesson with troubled players...

Dallas Cowboys: Moore: Cowboys want no part of troubled party boy Johnny Manziel | SportsDay
Old 03-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #574
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I guess even the Cowboys have learned their lesson with troubled players...

Dallas Cowboys: Moore: Cowboys want no part of troubled party boy Johnny Manziel | SportsDay

You've got to really take a long look in the mirror when the Cowboys, Raiders, and a Jeff Fisher team don't see any reason to give you a shot....especially when 2 of them would likely have a need for your services.

In other obvious news....Greg Hardy is still a prick.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #575
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
You've got to really take a long look in the mirror when the Cowboys, Raiders, and a Jeff Fisher team don't see any reason to give you a shot....especially when 2 of them would likely have a need for your services.

In other obvious news....Greg Hardy is still a prick.

yes to all of that.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #576
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
From the article
A source said the club has no intention of bringing the former Heisman Trophy winner in for a visit or signing him now that he's been released by Cleveland. That same source said the Cowboys won't pursue the quarterback and doesn't forsee the club having any serious discussions about him, "until he gets his life back in order.''

Just give them a bit of time.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #577
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Martavis Bryant chooses weed over NFL career. May face a year long suspension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ar-suspension/
Old 03-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #578
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Martavis Bryant chooses weed over NFL career. May face a year long suspension.

Report: Martavis Bryant facing one-year suspension | ProFootballTalk

Boy what a waste of talent.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #579
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep, it's not that hard to stay in the lines. As bad as Burfict and Jones made the Bengals look at the end of last year, this roughly 5 times worse? Opens the door for someone else, and at least that's what this team has had some success with. Heyward-Bey coming back again now looks like very smooth move.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #580
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yep, it's not that hard to stay in the lines. As bad as Burfict and Jones made the Bengals look at the end of last year, this roughly 5 times worse? Opens the door for someone else, and at least that's what this team has had some success with. Heyward-Bey coming back again now looks like very smooth move.

And time for Sammy Coates to come into his own Next man up...
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #581
PilotMan
Head Coach

Coates could be an animal, but he's got to get the dropsies out of his system.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #582
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jeez....Bryant is so dumb.

We do draft the WR position so well so I'm guessing we'll figure something out.

Last edited by stevew : 03-12-2016 at 04:30 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #583
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Coates could be an animal, but he's got to get the dropsies out of his system.

Agreed....but even Bryant had a case of the drops last year. Thinking in the long run Coats may actually be the better all round receiver, but don't know until he gets some extended time playing.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #584
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Mark Sanchez to Denver. I don't hate Sanchez as a backup, but I think it's clear by now that Sanchez is not a #1. It seems that this might be a leadup to a Kaepernick trade. Kaepernick was awesome in his first year as a starter, but declined steadily. Truly odd career arc so far. Maybe a scenery change will help. It's hard to view a guy as good when he's had a couple of truly rough seasons in a row.

NFL network and others are now reporting the 49ers and Chip were trying to trade for Sanchez but the Eagles owner who canned Kelly decided to give Chop the middle finger and trade him to Denver. Elway is apparently using Sanchez as. A trade chip to drive the cost down for Kaep.
Also Demarcus ware just restructured and will continue with the Broncos.
49ers were among the teams trying to trade for Mark Sanchez, could Elway now use Sanchez as a trade chip? - Mile High Report

And
Breaking: DeMarcus Ware agrees to contract restructure with Denver Broncos - Mile High Report
Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

word is the Browns are offering their third for Kaep and the Broncos are offering their 3rd, but the Niners want the Broncos 2nd.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #586
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can't believe Sanchez (aka Latino Rex) is such a popular commodity.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #587
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
word is the Browns are offering their third for Kaep and the Broncos are offering their 3rd, but the Niners want the Broncos 2nd.

No chance Elway is giving the 2nd. It appears the offer is our 3rd and Sanchez at this point. If they don't get him they probably will go to the draft and draft Lynch or Preston.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #588
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Just the idea of anyone paying a 3rd for Kaepernick when Palmer only recouped a 6th from Arizona just blows my mind.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-12-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #589
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Just the idea of anyone paying a 3rd for Kaepernick when Palmer only recouped a 6th from Arizona just blows my mind.

Agree but to be fair he had no offense line last year or two and has been sacked over 80 times in a year and half. I mean damn the 49ers got two second rounders for Alex Smith:-)....so a late third or early 4th and maybe even a player like Sanchez thrown is may be fair.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #590
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
.........but the Eagles owner who canned Kelly decided to give Chop the middle finger ................

Probably just a typo but I love it! Chop Kelly!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #591
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Probably just a typo but I love it! Chop Kelly!!!

Haha yeah but is accurate too!
Old 03-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #592
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Brady actually going to lose his appeal?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:43 AM   #593
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File this under: Goodell is tired of being kicked in the jimmies in court, and wants to keep on-field authority and the ability to hear appeals It remains to be seen what quid pro quo Goodell wants in exchange. If it goes through, it means DeflateGate is OVAH. (Not that it ever should have started in the first place, but that's another matter altogether.)

edit: The first reports coming out of the hearing were worrying, but folks looking at the transcript with a background in sports law say it looks pretty ok for Brady)

NFL, NFLPA move toward deal that would strip Roger Goodell of disciplinary power

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-15-2016 at 12:44 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #594
Logan
Head Coach

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #595
Logan
Head Coach

I know Cooper was hurt his rookie year, but I thought he's been considered a disappointment since.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #596
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

For all the Tay Bryant, "What an idiot" posters...

you are talking about a guy that as of his sophomore year in college had to wear different color shoelaces to know his right from his left. Literally play calls went "Base X, Y flex, Z tight. 317. Tay run a go to the orange side"

At one point against Wake Forest a few years ago Tajh Boyd walked out from under center and told Tay the route to run.

But apparently he is book smart and tests well :/
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #597
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

well I guess the Cards were serious about getting a legitimate pass rusher next season. They had given up on Cooper starting at guard at least, and there were whispers the injury (broken leg) had caused him to give up a bit mentally. I only wish the pick wasn't so high.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #598
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Brady actually going to lose his appeal?

He might.

The big myth around the country was that Brady won his original case because the court found deflategate had no merit. It actually wasn't that, it was that the court determined the NFL gave him too harsh of a punishment and that there was nothing in place to give that harsh of a punishment.

Now, Brady losing his appeal and actually being suspended for 4 games? No, not going to happen. The NFL is pushing this case forward because they want to beat Kessler and set a precedent for any future cases.

I should have said that's why they were pushing the case. If you read what has come out, Kessler was pretty much shredded by two of the three judges in the case. I think the NFL is thrilled with that. Now with the deal with the NFLPA coming, I think the Brady thing will quietly go away.

Should this deal with the players not go through, it certainly is a possibility Brady will lose his case and the NFL would continue.

That isn't going to happen. The deal will get wrapped up and deflategate will go away. The NFL nor the NFLPA have any desire for the offseason to be marred by this story again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #599
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This is a little late but does Calvin Johnson retiring make anyone else feel really really old? It seems like yesterday that people were complaining that Matt Millen was drafting yet another wide receiver in the first round, his 4th in 5 years.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #600
Alf
Pro Starter

I started getting in the football fantasy field when Peyton Manning was a rookie. He retired this offseason after playing for 18 seasons. That makes me feel old.