Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #551
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I expected them to spend about half their cap space so they don't have to go crazy next year to get to the floor, but with MB who knows. He may be happy to pocket the millions now and deal with the floor later.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #552
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Surprised free agent WRs weren't linking up to catch passes from Christian Ponder in a Bill Musgrave offense.

On the plus side for MN, supposedly the draft has quite a few WRs with vertical ability (or so I read).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #553
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
Tampa Bay reached agreement with former Saints guard Carl Nicks on a five-year, $47.5 million deal including $31 million guaranteed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #554
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Tampa Bay reached agreement with former Saints guard Carl Nicks on a five-year, $47.5 million deal including $31 million guaranteed.

$31 million guaranteed? You watch, in 2 years he'll be whining about his $3 million salary, ignoring the giant bonus.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #555
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
$31 million guaranteed? You watch, in 2 years he'll be whining about his $3 million salary, ignoring the giant bonus.

But $3 million is so hard to live on.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #556
Ksyrup

@ByTimGraham: Mario Williams spotted leaving Buffalo Medical Group office this morning. That would seem to be a physical, folks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #557
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
per Jason La Canfora

Garcon deal includes $11m sign bonus, $2.1M guar base salary in '12. $5.6M base in '13 guar for injury only at time of signing

On Garcon's $5.6M '13 salary fully guaranteed if on roster 3rd day of that league year. Makes $7M-plus each of final 3yrs of deal

Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Josh Morgan's deal w/WSH is $5.5M to sign, $1.8M base in 12 (fully guaranteed), $3.8M base in 2013, another $900K in bonuses

The Garcon deal doesn't look bad at all. I know everyone loves to bash My Skins, and 2 years ago they were right too. But last season we did excellent in Free Agency (quite a few young guys would played great) and this year we've grabbed 2 young receivers (maybe 3), the prices aren't so bad.

My wife want you to meet her cousin. Pretty? Um... She's not so bad.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #558
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lions Beat Writer Anwar Richardson:

Being told #Lions are close to announcing a seven-year extension for Calvin Johnson #NFL
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #559
Ksyrup

I also see Ted Ginn will be visiting the Lions.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #560
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anwar Richardson ‏ @AnwarRichardson

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

#Lions WR Calvin Johnson is on a plane heading to Detroit. Both sides hope to make an official announcement today #NFL
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #561
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I also see Ted Ginn will be visiting the Lions.

Ginn would come in as a 4th WR and KR/PR. Assuming the money isn't entirely crazy, I'd be a big fan of this.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #562
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tim Twentyman ‏ @ ttwentyman

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Calvin Johnson signs 7-year extension with Lions. 8 years total. Signed through 2019. Press conference at 1
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #563
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ginn would come in as a 4th WR and KR/PR. Assuming the money isn't entirely crazy, I'd be a big fan of this.

I agree. Stegan Logan was a non-factor in the return game last year. I like the guy, but as it so often seems with returners, he just sort of lost it after a pretty solid 2010 season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #564
Ksyrup

Quote:
Tim Twentyman ‏ @ ttwentyman

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Calvin Johnson signs 7-year extension with Lions. 8 years total. Signed through 2019. Press conference at 1

Since that was retweeted by the Lions, I think his sources are pretty good.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #565
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Since that was retweeted by the Lions, I think his sources are pretty good.

Twentyman cheats. He writes for the Lions website.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #566
Ksyrup

Ah. Lots of lines being blurred now that leagues/teams are in the "news" business.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #567
Ksyrup

Bucs must be $100M under the cap or something. Yeesh!

CB Eric Wright's deal with Tampa Bay: 5 years, $37.5 million, including $15.5 million guaranteed.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #568
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I would be shocked if the Bengals sign any free agents of consequence. I read a recent story with Marvin that basically said "why do we need to sign anyone? We made the playoffs with this young core, and we're just going to be drafting better."

Plus, Mike Brown is like Mr. Krabs with his money. So, I am not sure why anyone thinks the Bengals will be signing anyone of any sort of consequence.

The new CBA has a lot to say about this - team are going to be obliged to spend much closer to the cap than several have of late. Doesn't mean you must sign free agents, but it means you do have to spend some money on something (re-signing and extending your own players is the major alternative, I suppose).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #569
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Filed to ESPN: Lions reached agreement with WR Calvin Johnson on a seven-year, $132 million extension that includes $60 million guaranteed.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #570
Ksyrup

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk
Eagles announce trade of T Winston Justice to the Colts, for a swap of sixth round picks. And perhaps a bowling ball.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #571
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk
Eagles announce trade of T Winston Justice to the Colts, for a swap of sixth round picks. And perhaps a bowling ball.

I remember being really pissed when the Cowboys didn't draft him. Goes to show what I know.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #572
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Filed to ESPN: Lions reached agreement with WR Calvin Johnson on a seven-year, $132 million extension that includes $60 million guaranteed.

It must feel nice to have him locked up.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #573
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hope to see cap space open up to resign Tulloch... and hopefully bring in Mike Tolbert.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #574
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Contract could be problematic when it comes time to resign Stafford.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #575
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bucs must be $100M under the cap or something. Yeesh!

CB Eric Wright's deal with Tampa Bay: 5 years, $37.5 million, including $15.5 million guaranteed.

Florida Panthers just did this last July...so ridiculously far under the cap floor, they signed a bunch of guys to deals that were a year or so too long and $1-2M more per season than they really deserved, to use up their cap space.

Something in the water down in Florida
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #576
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Florida Panthers just did this last July...so ridiculously far under the cap floor, they signed a bunch of guys to deals that were a year or so too long and $1-2M more per season than they really deserved, to use up their cap space.

Something in the water down in Florida

To their credit, it's worked out better for the Panthers than most anticipated. Maybe the same will hold true for the Bucs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #577
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
On the plus side for MN, supposedly the draft has quite a few WRs with vertical ability (or so I read).

Would be nice to have, but to utilize a vertical threat Ponder would have to gain the ability to throw downfield.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #578
Ksyrup

Is John Carlson considered a deep threat by someone in MN? Because he's supposed to sign with them.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #579
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The cap is projected to go up to around 160M by 2014 or 15. Most of these contracts will be tame by those standards.

And with anything, a "guarantee" doesn't really mean anything. I'm assuming the Lions opened up at least 10 million in space by doing the Johnson extension, if not more.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #580
Ksyrup

Cory Redding to the Colts.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #581
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
To their credit, it's worked out better for the Panthers than most anticipated. Maybe the same will hold true for the Bucs.

True, they have been a nice surprise. Just wonder what happens in 3 seasons when they are paying Tomas Kopecky $3M and Scottie Upshall $4M if they actually have players they want to re-sign at that point.

But yeah, could work out for the Bucs. Sign everyone possible, law of averages says some work out.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #582
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I know this team isn't going to be a playoff team next year, but I'm liking the moves after clearing house.

Wayne gives Luck a reliable receiver to learn from, something Garcon couldn't do.

Dropping only 15 spots in the 6th round is worth the chance on a big tackle like Justice.

And the Cory Redding deal just came through. Love that move. With Mathis, Bethea, Angerer, and Redding, suddenly the Colts have the core of a decent defense.

Now, if Manning ends up in Tennessee, I'll be pleased...and broke. 8 Colts games plus the 2 games I'm sure I'll end up going down to Nashville will make for a fun, and expensive, fall.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In typical NFL fashion, most of the "better" teams never have an abundance of cap space because they've devoted it to locking up their good players. Hence why we don't see any of the upper echelon devoting 9.5m/season to a free agent guard FFS.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #584
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I know this team isn't going to be a playoff team next year, but I'm liking the moves after clearing house.

Wayne gives Luck a reliable receiver to learn from, something Garcon couldn't do.

Dropping only 15 spots in the 6th round is worth the chance on a big tackle like Justice.

And the Cory Redding deal just came through. Love that move. With Mathis, Bethea, Angerer, and Redding, suddenly the Colts have the core of a decent defense.

Now, if Manning ends up in Tennessee, I'll be pleased...and broke. 8 Colts games plus the 2 games I'm sure I'll end up going down to Nashville will make for a fun, and expensive, fall.

Yeah, they are rebuilding in a smart efficient way. You can tell they understand the process of rebuilding/retooling where as a lot of NFL teams just keep throwing crap on top of crap hoping for something to stick. Mainly the Raiders and Redskins who are completely blind when it comes to value. Athough plenty of other teams are in the conversation to a lesser degree.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #585
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post

The Garcon deal doesn't look bad at all. I know everyone loves to bash My Skins, and 2 years ago they were right too. But last season we did excellent in Free Agency (quite a few young guys would played great) and this year we've grabbed 2 young receivers (maybe 3), the prices aren't so bad.

Well perhaps the deals "arent so bad" but considering your team just traded a lot of draft picks they need to save this money for players you cant get early in the draft. Personally, I think you can find plenty of decent 2nd/3rd WRs in rounds 3-7 of the NFL drafts. They would be smart to invest in postions they miss out on from not drafting early. Offensive Tackles, Defensive Lineman, Cornerbacks. They all may be fine players but it still doesnt make them smart signings.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #586
Ksyrup

This feels so "college coach search-y"!

MileHighReport@MileHighReport
Any of you psychos want to follow Bud Adams' plane, it's now headed to NC...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #587
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This feels so "college coach search-y"!

MileHighReport@MileHighReport
Any of you psychos want to follow Bud Adams' plane, it's now headed to NC...

Reminds me of Mizzou b-ball fan when he found a website tracing the flight plans of Mike Anderson(I believe it was).
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #588
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Vikings signed TE John Carlson, formerly of the Seahawks, to a five-year, $25 million deal.

The deal reportedly includes $11 million guaranteed. It's a shocking contract for a player who missed all of 2011 with a shoulder injury, especially since the Vikings had seemed to discover a full-time player in Kyle Rudolph. Minnesota was likely forced to overpay for a player it wanted after Carlson reportedly received interest from "at least" eight teams. The deal dampens Rudolph's outlook in dynasty leagues, and doesn't revive Carlson's as much as landing somewhere like the Giants would have. The Vikes can be expected to run a host of two-TE sets in 2012.

Another team that has no clue. This makes no sense.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #589
spleen1015
Coordinator

Kyle Orton is a Cowboy,
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #590
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is John Carlson considered a deep threat by someone in MN? Because he's supposed to sign with them.

Christian Ponder can throw deep?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #591
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Another team that has no clue. This makes no sense.

Blocking TE.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #592
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shawn Zobel ‏ @ShawnZobel_DHQ

Peyton was nearly a Denver Bronco after "things fell apart quicker than the Titanic sinking" with Miami. It's down to Denver and Tennessee

I hope he goes to Denver. I think he has a greater chance of winning a SB there. I don't think I want to see him play against the Colts twice a year.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #593
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i take back anything nice i said about the redskins. they could have threw that money at winston and had bookend tackles.

and the depth in the draft this year is at wr.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #594
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Blocking TE.

Wouldnt bother me as much if they had their main positions under control. Signing specialty players such as him seem like more of a luxury type move when your core is solid. Signing a blocking TE when you have corner, dline, oline, wr, qb, lb and safety concerns seems like a bad move.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #595
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Peyton was nearly a Denver Bronco after "things fell apart quicker than the Titanic sinking" with Miami. It's down to Denver and Tennessee

I hope he goes to Denver. I think he has a greater chance of winning a SB there. I don't think I want to see him play against the Colts twice a year.

Denver seems like too perfect of a fit for it to not happen. They can dump Tebow with zero backfire. They can draft a more pro style QB and sit him behind Peyton. They could keep Tebow and use him in a limited role. Once Peyton is done, if Tebow doesn't perform, there will be zero issue with dumping him after that since he's had time to develop with Elway and Manning around.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #596
Ksyrup

I'd keep Tebow, use him in specialty packages and more often as an H-Back/TE, and when he has some success, gently suggest that's where he'll find the most success in the NFL.

Or, I'd sell him to Jacksonville if they are really that desperate for a box office draw. I guess one should never underestimate the Jorts demo.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #597
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

REPORT: Peyton Manning will be a Miami Dolphin when all is said and done. Expect package deal with Reggie Wayne.
— Shawn Zobel (@ShawnZobel_DHQ) March 9, 2012

#Zobelpredictionfail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 03-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #598
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
According to CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman, the Dolphins are still "very much in play" for free agent Peyton Manning.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports adds that the front offices in Miami and Denver remain "extremely confident" in landing Manning. We're still not buying the Dolphins as a legit candidate. After speaking with a "good source" Tuesday night, the Palm Beach Post notes that it's "becoming clear" the Phins will begin moving away from Manning and toward Matt Flynn.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #599
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think the only way Carlson is described as deep is when referring to the location of his draft position at fantasy drafts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #600
spleen1015
Coordinator

I told myself 2 days ago that I would stop believing everything that gets mentioned about Manning until I hear that he's agreed to sign some where. I think I need to adopt that attitude again.