Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #551
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I only hope the Steelers don't win. I actually enjoy most of the Steelers, but the fact that they have 6 rings already...I don't want them to get any further ahead of my 49ers than they already are.

I'd be more worried about the Lions catching up with you.

Go Steelers! Go Pack!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #552
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Just seeing this now, and didn't see it mentioned in the thread:

Jay Glazer from Fox with a story about Patriots also using the sideline wall on punt returns.

Including an embed that never, ever, EVER works for me and a separate link.

All Sports Video - All Sports - FOX Sports on MSN

<A href="<a href=" target=_blank http: video?vid='51c3fe0a-c811-4bcd-af34-3ede438891ae"' msn.foxsports.com>All Sports Video - All Sports - FOX Sports on MSN" target="_new" title="">Glazer's Edge: Patriots Exclusive

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #553
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Green Bay is one game from the super bowl. However, they are one incomplete pass ruled a catch from having never mae the playoffs in the first place.
But the pass was obviously incomplete. His feet were out of bounds. That makes as much sense as Packer fans saying they were one "hit upright" in the Washington game from making the playoffs had they lost the Giants game.

There's a difference between getting jobbed by the refs in the last play (Calvin Johnson TD) and having the opponent just not be good enough to make the play to win.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #554
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
But the pass was obviously incomplete. His feet were out of bounds.

Yes, but Green Bay was still awarded a touchdown.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #555
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Even though the Seahawks got crushed yesterday, and had their draft position fall from 8 to 25, I would hope none of them would trade that for the world.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #556
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Yes, but Green Bay was still awarded a touchdown.
There's a difference between a 2nd Quarter TD that was questionable and one that happens in the last play of the game. Had GB not scored a TD on that drive (14 min left in the 2nd), there's little reason to think they wouldn't have scored enough points to beat a poor Vikings team at home in the next 2+ quarters.

I just don't see the comparisons here. There is a tangible play at the end of a game that would have swayed the outcome. And, that play wasn't called properly by the refs. That's different than a non-challenged play in the 2nd quarter.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #557
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I just don't see the comparisons here. There is a tangible play at the end of a game that would have swayed the outcome. And, that play wasn't called properly by the refs. That's different than a non-challenged play in the 2nd quarter.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #558
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a difference between getting jobbed by the refs in the last play (Calvin Johnson TD) and having the opponent just not be good enough to make the play to win.
I don't understand how they were jobbed. Just about everyone has said that was the proper call, it's just the rule is retarded. I agree that the rule is silly in how it is written, but the call on the field was correct.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #559
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently, Jay Cutler is the first QB taken from the 2006 NFL Draft to win a playoff game.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #560
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Apparently, Jay Cutler is the first QB taken from the 2006 NFL Draft to win a playoff game.

Which isn't saying much when your competition is Vince Young & Matt Leinart. (and if you wanna go down a ways, Tavaris Jackson and the immortal Bruce Gradkowski).

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #561
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
somewhere in the lowcountry, skydog is shocked that it wasn't dj shockley
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #562
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Which isn't saying much when your competition is Vince Young & Matt Leinart. (and if you wanna go down a ways, Tavaris Jackson and the immortal Bruce Gradkowski).

I think QB wins in the playoffs are WAY overrated. Along with QB losses.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #563
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think you are right, it seems to work for some people in their jobs and it seems to work for the Jets. I just find people that I work with that are like that to be very insufferable. Seems like you lose a little integrity when you manufacture a sense of disrespect that isn't really there.

This is funny, because for years the Patriots have complained about being disrespected.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #564
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I think QB wins in the playoffs are WAY overrated. Along with QB losses.

Ping Trent Dilfer!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #565
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It's not the players talking that bothers people. It's the fact their coach is a classless blowhard.

Again, Belichick is known for being classy?
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #566
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This is funny, because for years the Patriots have complained about being disrespected.

By years you mean 2001 and 2003.

I swear people make up reasons for hating the Pats.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #567
Kodos
Resident Alien

Pretty much EVERY year, the Pats complain about being disrespected.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #568
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Do you mean a single comment by Harrison every other year? Maybe, but that's Harrison. They haven't used that collectivley since their 2nd SB run. But if it helps you hate, be my guest. No skin off my back.

As for Belichick being "classy". Of course he's not. But he's also not a loudmouth blowhard douchebag. He's nothing. Guy barely talks. There is no comparison.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #569
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Pretty much EVERY year, the Pats complain about being disrespected.

Every team does. It's called good coaching. Do you really think Rex Ryan thinks everything is personal, or that the last game was him v. Bellichick? Everything is calculated towards the goal of winning, and coaches will tap into anything they can. "Respect" has proven to be a very strong motivator for the modern professional athlete. And for whatever reason that escapes me, this is also a concept that really pisses off certain fans.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #570
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Again, Belichick is known for being classy?

I don't know, have you ever heard one of the guy's press conferences? When he loses, he just says that he sucked, the team sucked, and that the other team out-coached and out-played them. And after he wins, the tone is maybe .005% more positive. He's a football historian and seems to really respect the game and everyone around it. I think he's just insanely socially awkward.

The media hates him because he won't give a quote or or any info, and I think has bled into public sentiment about him. (Someone could mention spygate, but Bellichick was disliked long before that, and I really don't think that one thing makes up 100% of the negative feelings about him).

You wouldn't hire the guy to be the MC at a charity event, but I think the super-villain stuff is more than a little overblown.

Last edited by molson : 01-18-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #571
Kodos
Resident Alien

So with the Patriots, it's good coaching when they complain for a decade about disrespect, but with the Jets for one season, it's annoying?

If nothing else, the Jets and Ryan are entertaining. I'm rooting against them, but if they win, it'd be nice to see LT and Jason Taylor get rings.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #572
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So with the Patriots, it's good coaching when they complain for a decade about disrespect, but with the Jets for one season, it's annoying?

If you combine points from different people to try to look smart, then yes. I don't have any problem with Rex Ryan though (nor do I have murderous rage when a player talks about "respect", as many posters at FOFC seem to), as I said, I'm a fan, and I'm rooting for the Jets the rest of the way.

Last edited by molson : 01-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #573
Kodos
Resident Alien

Spygate definitely inflated my level of dislike for Belichick. They do have fewer players that I despise now that Harrison is gone.

Anyhow, I don't really want to get into a long anti-Patriots rant here. I just thought it was interesting to hear people complain about the Jets playing the disrespect card, when it has been a pretty steady theme out of New England for much of the last decade.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #574
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you combine points from different people to try to look smart, then yes.

Sorry, maybe things got crossed. My original reply was to rowech, and then other guys jumped in on other points, so I addressed those too. Certainly not in an attempt to look smart. More laziness.

Basically, living in Patriots country with a die-hard but fairly uninformed homer for a father-in-law, I've been exposed to a lot of "we're disrespected" stuff, so I felt I needed to respond to someone complaining about that with the Jets.

Here's who I'd prefer to win out of the remaining teams:

1. Packers
2. Steelers
3. Bears
4. Jets
Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #575
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't have a problem with the Jets playing the disrespect card. I have a problem with them being scummy douche bag mega-assholes. I don't even think they play the disrespect card that much, then again I work real hard to avoid reading about them.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #576
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Just seeing this now, and didn't see it mentioned in the thread:

Jay Glazer from Fox with a story about Patriots also using the sideline wall on punt returns.

Including an embed that never, ever, EVER works for me and a separate link.

All Sports Video - All Sports - FOX Sports on MSN

<A href="<a href=" target=_blank http: video?vid='51c3fe0a-c811-4bcd-af34-3ede438891ae"' msn.foxsports.com>All Sports Video - All Sports - FOX Sports on MSN" target="_new" title="">Glazer's Edge: Patriots Exclusive

Oh noes, the Jets are drrrttty. I wonder if part of their fine will be revoked since it was increased for them saying other teams did it (and now there is visual proof of 2-3 other teams, including a tougher hit than the trip Alosi put on).
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #577
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it matters whether they were correct or not, they broke a rule by reporting it publicly instead of to the NFL.

I don't think anyone ever doubted other teams use it. At least I didn't, while I would hope they do not trip, the wall is the exact type of thing I would expect the Pats to do. Read an article recently that said looking for the edge is Belichick's white whale. Don't much disagree with that.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #578
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I don't have a problem with the Jets playing the disrespect card. I have a problem with them being scummy douche bag mega-assholes. I don't even think they play the disrespect card that much, then again I work real hard to avoid reading about them.

The Jets certainly have more than their fair share of assholes. Especially at WR.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #579
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Sorry, maybe things got crossed. My original reply was to rowech, and then other guys jumped in on other points, so I addressed those too. Certainly not in an attempt to look smart. More laziness.

Basically, living in Patriots country with a die-hard but fairly uninformed homer for a father-in-law, I've been exposed to a lot of "we're disrespected" stuff, so I felt I needed to respond to someone complaining about that with the Jets.

Here's who I'd prefer to win out of the remaining teams:

1. Packers
2. Steelers
3. Bears
4. Jets

Fair enough, and my smartness comment was a little unnecessary.

I don't know what team you root for, but if you're team had a coach that brought it an unpresented decade of success (especially if you team has been historically terrible), I think you'd find it's remarkably easy to look past socially awkard press conferences, video shenanigans, looking for edges anywhere he can find them, and a general lack of cuddliness.

I understand the motivation for players but the idea of fans needing/desiring respect is kind of funny. I mean, it's fun to hear media types speak well of your team (especially if you root for a smaller college or something), but I don't think any fan should get too emotionally vested in what Boomer Esiason says about his favorite team. But it's true - go to the comments section of any negative sports article and there's a part of any fanbase that gets livid. It just seems unhealthy.

Last edited by molson : 01-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #580
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If Boomer Esiason ever talks shit about the Pittsburgh Power, I'll kill him.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #581
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

People dislike the Pats because they are winners. They can make up all of these excuses on why they dislike them but if they were losing no one would give a crap about Belli's press conferences and would have long forgotten about "spy-gate." Its human nature to cheer the underdog which is not what the pats have been since Tom Brady took over as the starting QB.

If I were a Pats fan I would not be aggitated by the "Pats hate" because it means people think your team is a winning team.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #582
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
If Boomer Esiason ever talks shit about the Pittsburgh Power, I'll kill him.

What the hell is Pittsburgh Power? A pee wee hockey team?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #583
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What the hell is Pittsburgh Power? A pee wee hockey team?

C'mon man, not on Pumpy Day....
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #584
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

guess i'm done here
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #585
Swaggs
Coordinator

I keep getting banner ads for the Pittsburgh Power on here.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #586
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
People dislike the Pats because they are winners. They can make up all of these excuses on why they dislike them but if they were losing no one would give a crap about Belli's press conferences and would have long forgotten about "spy-gate." Its human nature to cheer the underdog which is not what the pats have been since Tom Brady took over as the starting QB.

If I were a Pats fan I would not be aggitated by the "Pats hate" because it means people think your team is a winning team.

They are? All those Pats haters must be making up Brady's 0-3 record in his last 3 playoff games...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #588
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
They are? All those Pats haters must be making up Brady's 0-3 record in his last 3 playoff games...

If that makes the Pats a losing franchise than you win.

I guess I would consider their 4 super bowl births and nearly 70 percent winning percentage over the past 10 years a clear sign that they are winners.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #589
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is there anything this Patriots team can't do? Delivering while playing in the Super Bowl, that's pretty impressive. I bet Tom Brady can induce labor with a glance and a shake of his hair.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #590
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Is there anything this Patriots team can't do? Delivering while playing in the Super Bowl, that's pretty impressive. I bet Tom Brady can induce labor with a glance and a shake of his hair.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #591
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Almost 4 minutes of Brady pics and no goat? Awful.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-18-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #592
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Has our culture changed? I don't remember ever seeing so many comments about teams what teams they like and what teams they don't like, and how their performance matters to them.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote