Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #5901
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
so many things I disagree with in MBBF's last paragraph in the post above in his word choices...boy do I ever parse words. Reminds me of how he posted in the Iran thread. {head into brick wall}

It's easy to debate when you don't make a single counter-argument or post information to counter one's discussion point. The non-debate debate, is it?

I'll address a couple of my points further in an attempt to pull you out of your non-debate cubby-hole.

1. Fox News is an industry leader. They have ridiculously high numbers when compared to their competitors. They often boast an audience 3x-4x what their competitors have. mediabistro.com: TVNewser

2. Fox News also has a more diverse audience than any other news outlet. More of the 'opposition' watches Fox News than any other cable news network. Who Watches What: Party Lines & Cable News - mediabistro.com: TVNewser
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #5902
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
No, I'd just like some honesty that the same critiques could have been made during the last admin but weren't.

I still haven't seen a link or anything of the Bush White House criticizing a specific media outlet for negative treatment. If it happened, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did, than that's just as bad. Where's your consistency? Where's your complaints about this? Why can't we see similar criticism from you and others with prior administrations?

I don't think random Republicans complaining vaguely about the "liberal media" is remotely the same thing, and the fact that that's the comparison being made tells me a lot about the spell Obama has over some of you.

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 08:34 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5903
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No, I'd just like some honesty that the same critiques could have been made during the last admin but weren't.

I'd disagree with that. I think there were plenty of people complaining about the NY Times attack. You were most certainly one of them. But once again, that has little to do with the topic at hand. Quit trying to divert the topic.

The discussion is whether these kinds of attacks are a good idea when done directly by the administration. IMO, the answer is no. There's no positive outcome available. At best, it's a neutral outcome. At worst, it's a hinderance to the administration's popularity. They come off as being less than professional when attacking the media outlets.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5904
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's easy to debate when you don't make a single counter-argument or post information to counter one's discussion point. The non-debate debate, is it?

I'll address a couple of my points further in an attempt to pull you out of your non-debate cubby-hole.

1. Fox News is an industry leader. They have ridiculously high numbers when compared to their competitors. They often boast an audience 3x-4x what their competitors have. mediabistro.com: TVNewser

2. Fox News also has a more diverse audience than any other news outlet. More of the 'opposition' watches Fox News than any other cable news network. Who Watches What: Party Lines & Cable News - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

Yes they are the industry leader, but the raw numbers aren't that great. A huge night for O'Reilly is about 4 million viewers. That will crush all the competition, but even if you assume everyone watching is a voter it's @3% of the voting public.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #5905
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I still haven't seen a link or anything of the Bush White House criticizing a specific media outlet for negative treatment. If it happened, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did, than that's just as bad. Where's your consistency? Where's your complaints about this? Why can't we see similar criticism from you and others with prior administrations?

I don't think random Republicans complaining vaguely about the "liberal media" is remotely the same thing, and the fact that that's the comparison being made tells me a lot about the spell Obama has over some of you.

Cheney: New York Times harms US security

Cheney: New York Times harms U.S. security
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #5906
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did you not read the last page where I said I agree with you?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #5907
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes they are the industry leader, but the raw numbers aren't that great. A huge night for O'Reilly is about 4 million viewers. That will crush all the competition, but even if you assume everyone watching is a voter it's @3% of the voting public.

Excellent. Now we're getting somewhere. This is obviously the traditional argument to minimize Fox News and their standing in the cable news industry. So now that we've noted that they have such a minimal impact on the overall voting public (and in the case of the NY Times it's probably even smaller), why would an administration ever consider throwing away both political and professional capital on a network that has little to no impact on the voting public?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #5908
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

MBBF: You're too clever for me.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #5909
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Interestingly I can't find any discussions of this article on the board here to see how folks came down on it.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #5910
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Fox doesn't have a diverse viewership, at least when it comes time to vote. Very few demographics are a more reliable GOP vote than Fox news viewer.

Then what's the problem?

FoxNews is allowed to have a conservative-themed news/commentary network. If the FoxNews viewership is not diverse, and its just hard-core Republicans watching anyway - what does Obama hope to accomplish by attacking it? If their viewership isn't diverse - then its not like they're brain-washing Democrats.

Should the White House release a list of "acceptable" news/entertainment organizations? Isn't that the next step, the obvious implication from the fact that there are apparently unacceptable news/entertainment organizations?

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #5911
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Over here in the Philippines, we get Fox News USA on cable...

...and almost everyone I know who's seen it considers it the channel for the Republican party.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #5912
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Yes, that's very ridiculous, and I would say worse than Obama's pissing match with FoxNews, because Cheney played the security card. Playing the security card to attack a media outlet is both wrong, and really destructive because it undermines actual security concerns. During the Bush administration, we got to the point where any concern that was raised about national security, legitimate or otherwise, was automatically greeted with skepticism and doubt. That's mostly that administration's fault, because of stuff like this.

Now if a conservative commentator made this critisism - that's a different thing. That's just more political speech. When the president/vp says it, it takes on an added level of creapiness.

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #5913
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then what's the problem?

FoxNews is allowed to have a conservative-themed news/commentary network. If the FoxNews viewership is not diverse, and its just hard-core Republicans watching anyway - what does Obama hope to accomplish by attacking it? If their viewership isn't diverse - then its not like they're brain-washing Democrats.

How many times do I have to say I agree that the admin shouldn't have made this a big public spat? If they don't like Fox, just don't do interviews with them, but I think especially given the timing this will just serve as a distraction.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #5914
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Over here in the Philippines, we get Fox News USA on cable...

...and almost everyone I know who's seen it considers it the channel for the Republican party.

So Obama thinks Americans are dumber than Filipinos, as we need the president to characterize these networks for us.

FoxNews is just filling a market niche that a lot of people want. A lot of people think most news organizations are overally liberal (even Obama thinks this, based on the joke he made in the original article - or at least he was having fun with that perception), whether one agrees or disagrees with that is irrelevant to the business. People think the news media is liberal, so they really like one that's conservative (or from many perspectives, "neutral.")
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #5915
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
So Obama thinks Americans are dumber than Filipinos, as we need the president to characterize these networks for us.

FoxNews is just filling a market niche that a lot of people want. A lot of people think most news organizations are overally liberal (even Obama thinks this, based on the joke he made in the original article - or at least he was having fun with that perception), whether one agrees or disagrees with that is irrelevant to the business. People think the news media is liberal, so they really like one that's conservative (or from many perspectives, "neutral.")

Fox News will always be hostile to Obama anyway, I guess his team felt it was better to have it out in the open.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #5916
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Well, I think he saw what happened when Clinton started with that right off the bat. And he probably wants it done as an amendment to the Uniform Code, since it would be alot harder to be reversed.

I sure hope he gets it done soon, though. I'll be disappointed if he chickens out on it like Clinton did.

Speaking as someone who worked on Capitol Hill in January, 1993, I can tell you that Clinton blundered into the entire thing and never had a chance. He built no consensus behind the scenes, didn't even bother to prep his own party on the hill, and hadn't even thought through his own position. And he got crucified for it.

Times have changed, but there are still some very powerful entrenched forces against this move, and Obama's caution is warranted.

Quote:
A pretty baffling more by the Obama Administration here.

Quote:
I don't know exactly what the White House hopes to accomplish here, but what a moronic strategy.

Oh come on, you guys aren't this naive.

Obama's political advisers hope to tie the GOP to morons like Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly in the same way the Karl Rove hoped to tie the Democrats to an alleged "elite" institution called the New York Times or blowhards like Olbermann.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #5917
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Oh come on, you guys aren't this naive.

Obama's political advisers hope to tie the GOP to morons like Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly in the same way the Karl Rove hoped to tie the Democrats to an alleged "elite" institution called the New York Times or blowhards like Olbermann.

I don't think anyone was wondering what he was doing as much as why. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. And once again, you're not getting away with the 'in the same way' comment in an attempt to make it partisan or somehow legitimize it. I've been very consistant in stating that it's the tactic, not who's doing it, that is the issue at hand.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #5918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Fox News will always be hostile to Obama anyway, I guess his team felt it was better to have it out in the open.

That's the real strange part about all of this. I can't think of anyone who doesn't know about Fox News and their inherent lean to the conservative side, yet the article states that people in the Obama Administration actually believe that there are people who aren't aware of it. That's way out of touch with reality IMO. If people in the Phillipines know it, I think the American public is similarly aware of it, if not moreso than foreigners.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #5919
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
MBBF: You're too clever for me.

Doubtful, but thanks for the false hope.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #5920
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That's the real strange part about all of this. I can't think of anyone who doesn't know about Fox News and their inherent lean to the conservative side, yet the article states that people in the Obama Administration actually believe that there are people who aren't aware of it. That's way out of touch with reality IMO. If people in the Phillipines know it, I think the American public is similarly aware of it, if not moreso than foreigners.

And the people that don't understand Fox News' slant probably aren't going to have their mind changed by Obama.

At best, this is just an attempt to group all opposition together, which is just politics as usual. Obama wants 2012 to be Obama v. Fox News/Limbaugh. Those are the two sides. If you fall somewhere else, you don't really matter. Yes, it's similar to Republicans trying to group opposition into a "media elite". But again, isn't Obama supposed to be better than that? Is "just as bad as a Republican" really what we thought we were getting here?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #5921
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
At best, this is just an attempt to group all opposition together, which is just politics as usual. Obama wants 2012 to be Obama v. Fox News/Limbaugh. Those are the two sides.

The Republicans are doing something similar right now with Obama. They're tying him and the Pelosi/Reid "leadership" together and trying to make them the face of the Democrats. I think it's a much more significant tie-in since they are all politicians rather than a media outlet.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #5922
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Republicans are doing something similar right now with Obama. They're tying him and Hitler/Stalin together and trying to make them the face of the Democrats. I think it's a much more significant tie-in since they are totalitarian dictators that killed millions rather than a media outlet.

Fixed
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #5923
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Fixed

You've definitely hit on Obama's campaign strategy for '12. You're either with him, or you're comparing him to Hitler.

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #5924
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So your standard to judge Obama's presidency is if Republicans (even non-president Republicans) generally do something, its OK for him?

Change we can believe in!
No, I'm saying it's pretty standard these days in politics.

And those mentioning your previous lack of criticism on other administrations was just a way to point out your hypocrisy. It's not a statement on whether it's right or wrong.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #5925
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And those mentioning your previous lack of criticism on other administrations was just a way to point out your hypocrisy. It's not a statement on whether it's right or wrong.

Except that I've criticized the previous adminsitration. Other than that, ya.

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #5926
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
So this is what it comes down to all of this time? The amount of criticism can only be measured against the level of previous criticism?? How pathetic and so predictable. Nothing has changed in 33 years when it's about revenge and political/argumental points against your opponents. I do not expect any of us to be better than that but don't act like you are.

Why bother with these guys? There are about 4-5 people on each side who just argue the new talking points over and over and over. They claim to be balanced and share points of view from the other side but you maybe see that once every 100 posts. I don't even doubt that they honestly believe that they are balanced but they are the exact problem with this country. Obama has convinced his disciples that health care can't be reformed without massive insurance overhaul. The unions and lawyers are fine though. The Republicans have convinced their followers the exact opposite. I have an idea... how about both insurance reform and tort reform? Nah, both parties wouldn't be able to keep special interest groups that contribute to their campaigns and keep them in office happy. So instead lets throw a bone to the JPhillips and Flaschs of the world and criticize Fox News. That way they will completely ignore how the Democratic party is under the control of unions and lawyers and bitch about the New York Times and a former vice president. And how about the Republicans throw a bone about socialism to MBBF and Molson that way they will ignore that their strategy is just to get back in office and do nothing again. Just this century the Republicans had about 6 years to do something and now the Democrats are going on 3 (with about 9 months of controlling all three). Wonder why they never get anything done???

But why waste your vote on a third party? What we have is so much better.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #5927
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't know, this seemed to happen all the time and I highly doubt there is a single post from you or MBBF on this. In fact, I remember the wiretap story being rather large and there are even a couple threads on this forum about it. Yet not surprisingly, no criticism on either of your parts of the administration.
Bush Criticizes Reports About Bank Tracking - Los Angeles Times
Bush Team Criticizes New Report About Iran - New York Times

What people are pointing out is that you aren't arguing an issue, you're arguing a side. What Obama does is wrong no matter if it was right 2 years ago under Bush. It is important in a debate to know whether the other person is arguing the issue or not.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #5928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obama wants 2012 to be Obama v. Fox News/Limbaugh.

Gosh, so do I. Considering that FXNC outdraws the entire liberal cable news cabal combined every night, I'd take that comparison.

Quote:
If you fall somewhere else, you don't really matter.

We should be so lucky. Just manage a draw with those who don't watch any of 'em and that show up to vote and it's a win.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #5929
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think anyone was wondering what he was doing as much as why. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. And once again, you're not getting away with the 'in the same way' comment in an attempt to make it partisan or somehow legitimize it. I've been very consistant in stating that it's the tactic, not who's doing it, that is the issue at hand.
They do it because it works. Because in 2004 they were able to portray Democrats as tree-hugging, peace loving, homosexual pussies from San Francisco. I mean fuck, they even portrayed a guy who actually fought in a war as some coward.

Democrats will now push to portray Republicans as uber-Christian, bigoted conspiracy nuts who are Glenn Beck zombies.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #5930
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
They do it because it works. Because in 2004 they were able to portray Democrats as tree-hugging, peace loving, homosexual pussies from San Francisco. I mean fuck, they even portrayed a guy who actually fought in a war as some coward.

Democrats will now push to portray Republicans as uber-Christian, bigoted conspiracy nuts who are Glenn Beck zombies.

Some day this board will come together and just bash BOTH parties constantly.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #5931
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You've definitely hit on Obama's campaign strategy for '12. You're either with him, or you're comparing him to Hitler.

Lighten up Francis.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #5932
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Why bother with these guys? There are about 4-5 people on each side who just argue the new talking points over and over and over. They claim to be balanced and share points of view from the other side but you maybe see that once every 100 posts. I don't even doubt that they honestly believe that they are balanced but they are the exact problem with this country. Obama has convinced his disciples that health care can't be reformed without massive insurance overhaul. The unions and lawyers are fine though. The Republicans have convinced their followers the exact opposite. I have an idea... how about both insurance reform and tort reform? Nah, both parties wouldn't be able to keep special interest groups that contribute to their campaigns and keep them in office happy. So instead lets throw a bone to the JPhillips and Flaschs of the world and criticize Fox News. That way they will completely ignore how the Democratic party is under the control of unions and lawyers and bitch about the New York Times and a former vice president. And how about the Republicans throw a bone about socialism to MBBF and Molson that way they will ignore that their strategy is just to get back in office and do nothing again. Just this century the Republicans had about 6 years to do something and now the Democrats are going on 3 (with about 9 months of controlling all three). Wonder why they never get anything done???

How can you not see your own ideological blinders? I've admitted in the past I'm ideological, though I wouldn't classify myself as partisan as I do very little to help candidates get elected. What you and Buc don't acknowledge is that your particular set of political beliefs are just as rigid as anyone you're criticizing. The answer is always smaller government, no matter what the question.

Not every political belief is based on the head of a party. I have thought for many years that our healthcare system is inefficient, Medicare costs will eventually crush us, and a move towards a single payer system could expand coverage and reduce costs. That has nothing to do with Obama. My somewhat tepid support of his efforts on healthcare reform come because I believe in the policy, not because I care whether Obama is seen as the greatest president evah.

We really aren't anywhere near as different as you'd like. We both are strong proponents of a multitude of policy solutions. While you'd like to think you're above it all, you're really down in the mud with everyone else.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #5933
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

This is a country of 300 million people -- I'm SURE there are people who aren't aware of it. Especially since Fox News has by far the biggest font out of all the cable news networks -- this brings in those viewers who are the least aware of anything, old people.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #5934
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this just in - Olympia Snowe has said she will vote for the Finance Committee's version of the healthcare bill...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #5935
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
This is a country of 300 million people -- I'm SURE there are people who aren't aware of it. Especially since Fox News has by far the biggest font out of all the cable news networks -- this brings in those viewers who are the least aware of anything, old people.

Of course. There's always the exception if you're going to take it to that level. Not sure what it accomplishes outside of saying there's a person that doesn't know. Now that we've taken Heidi Montag out of the equation................
Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #5936
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

cept that im for tort reform and not necessarily sold on the unions but yeah, I get your point.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #5937
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know, this seemed to happen all the time and I highly doubt there is a single post from you or MBBF on this.

And I highly doubt that I would not have said anything about the administration in that situation. It appears we're both suffering from a high amount of doubt.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #5938
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course. There's always the exception if you're going to take it to that level. Not sure what it accomplishes outside of saying there's a person that doesn't know. Now that we've taken Heidi Montag out of the equation................

Oh sorry -- I'll just get out of the way -- I didn't mean to interfere with everyone's accomplishments in here.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #5939
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, that's very ridiculous, and I would say worse than Obama's pissing match with FoxNews, because Cheney played the security card. Playing the security card to attack a media outlet is both wrong, and really destructive because it undermines actual security concerns. During the Bush administration, we got to the point where any concern that was raised about national security, legitimate or otherwise, was automatically greeted with skepticism and doubt. That's mostly that administration's fault, because of stuff like this.

Now if a conservative commentator made this critisism - that's a different thing. That's just more political speech. When the president/vp says it, it takes on an added level of creapiness.

Just to play devil's advocate here, but if Cheney really believed it was a threat to national security, don't you think he should come out and say it? If something really is threatening our security, I'd want our leaders to be as vocal about it as they can get.

I know the administration destroyed credibility on the national security debate, but I personally want a President/VP to tell a source to fuck themselves if they are threatening my safety.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #5940
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you're giving the public too much credit here. Everyone here is pretty up-to-date on the world and politics, but spend a few hours at the local Wal-Mart and you will lose all faith in humanity.

There are people who don't see the slants because they don't want to. Glenn Beck or Keith Olbermann is just the neutral view of the world because they agree with what they are saying.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #5941
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
this just in - Olympia Snowe has said she will vote for the Finance Committee's version of the healthcare bill...

Good for her. There is a reason that I do say that I'm a Northeastern Republican, because of folks like Snowe. Though I do find myself very close to Governor Schwartzenegger as well... so, Northeastern/California Republican?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #5942
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Good for her. There is a reason that I do say that I'm a Northeastern Republican, because of folks like Snowe. Though I do find myself very close to Governor Schwartzenegger as well... so, Northeastern/California Republican?

But wouldn't most Republicans outside the northeast call a Northeastern Republican an oxymoron? RINO for sure.

I used to call myself a Republican (and I used to be more conservative) but having some liberal views got me called a RINO (not on this forum as I didn't post here). So I said fuck it, agreed, and switched allegiances. Now since then, I've drifted plenty further left so as to not be accused of being a DINO
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #5943
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

You're definitely not a Girly-Man Republican.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #5944
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
But wouldn't most Republicans outside the northeast call a Northeastern Republican an oxymoron? RINO for sure.

I haven't itemized 'em completely but yeah, I'd say the majority of (R)'s in the region would qualify as RINO's.

Given her various positions, I'd say she's more like a blue dog than anything else.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #5945
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I haven't itemized 'em completely but yeah, I'd say the majority of (R)'s in the region would qualify as RINO's.

Given her various positions, I'd say she's more like a blue dog than anything else.

Just so Molson doesn't accuse me of being a partisan hack looking to make Republicans look bad, I'd also say that on the other end of the spectrum, most (D)'s in the South these days are considered DINOs by many.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #5946
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I used to call myself a Republican (and I used to be more conservative) but having some liberal views got me called a RINO (not on this forum as I didn't post here). So I said fuck it, agreed, and switched allegiances. Now since then, I've drifted plenty further left so as to not be accused of being a DINO

i think you're less likely to be called a DINO by democrats than a RHINO by republicans. no statistics to back that up or anything, just my opinion
Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #5947
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fuck 'em .

And there are some that would fit very nicely from other places other than the Northeast and California (like Bob Dole or, even, John McCain).

Quote:

I don't think I could be a Democrat. I'd rather be an independant who voted Dem most of the time. But if the Republicans keep shifting and the Dems pick up the former moderate Republicans....
Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #5948
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i think you're less likely to be called a DINO by democrats than a RHINO by republicans. no statistics to back that up or anything, just my opinion

I do get the impression that the conservative side of the spectrum tends to value ideological purity more strongly. Only my impression, nothing to back it up. But having gone through an ideological purge within the party myself (not literally in the Stalinist sense) it's obvious why I get that impression.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #5949
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Lighten up Francis.

I think the first person that mentions Hitler is generally the one needs to lighten up. Isn't that message board 101?

Last edited by molson : 10-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #5950
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Used to be called a Rockefeller Republican, though it appears to be archaic. I've pretty much accepted that I'm estranged from both parties at this point. I've gotten the feeling that I'm not particularly welcome in the Republican Party as currently constituted and couldn't really see myself ever registering (D), so I've been independent since the 2004 election. I might just listen to panerd and go third party from here on. Though it might not do much, voting for either of the main two has pretty much proven no to do much.