Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #5801
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Interstellar 7/10

Intelligent, with some great lines and solid performances. But it ran long and ended with a profound ... meh. I enjoyed it, and it's thought-provoking, but it seemed to meander some, which cost it in emotional and entertainment impact.

And you gotta, you just gotta, knock it out of the park with the ending. A mediocre movie that ends well can be a favorite you'll go see again and again, but even a great movie that doesn't end well won't leave as good of an impression.

This, exactly. It looked great in Imax, and the story was epic in scope. The ending wasn't bad....it was just....meh.

7.5/10

Edited to add: I thought McConaughey was not really the right person for his role. I did think Hathaway did a terrific job as did the rest of the cast.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 11-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #5802
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ok, which one of you sumabitches put a hex on me and fried my video card?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #5803
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Ok, which one of you sumabitches put a hex on me and fried my video card?

korme
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #5804
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Birdman - 8/10

This was a really good movie. Micheal Keaton was fantastic in it. I don't know too much about how this movie was made, but it does seem like the role was tailor made for Keaton. Very solid cast - Michael Keaton, Zack Galifankis, Naomi Watts, Emma Stone, Ed Norton, great writing and some really interesting camera work - lots of long, single takes.

A very different movie, but worth it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #5805
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Interstellar 5 / 10

It was just so cheesy. Chris Nolan (and his brother) is as good as anyone at creating the mind-trippy, time-twisting movie where you're never sure where it's going or where you are, which to date has worked very very well. But if you're going to keep someone captive for 3 hours, the rest of the movie better have some gravity (see what I did there?) or it just doesn't hold up. Interstellar would have been an amazing 1.5 hour sci-fi epic. Unfortunately he crammed a 1.5 hour hokey relationship/family/betrayal/redemption story into it as well and the sum doesn't add up.

To borrow a plot device, watching that movie made an hour seem like seven years.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #5806
korme
Go Reds

So I've had to put my doubleheader of St. Vincent/Birdman on hold as some friends wanted to see Interstellar yesterday.

I can't even rate it. The last 30 minutes of the movie ruined everything for me. It was such a stretch that I completely dismissed the entire experience.

Not to mention that while Nolan's score is always intense, in this one it seemed to draw away from the experience for me. The continual music for 2 hrs, 49 minutes just zaps any suspense from scenes that want to rely on them.

And the length. That could have been an hour shorter, he just doesn't know how to make a tight movie. Hugely disappointed.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #5807
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Starting to lose my boner for interstellar.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #5808
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Edited to add: I thought McConaughey was not really the right person for his role. I did think Hathaway did a terrific job as did the rest of the cast.

Except for Romilly. He did a terrible 'I'm an old guy now' impression.

Also, don't know why Casey Affleck was in this movie.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #5809
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Except for Romilly. He did a terrible 'I'm an old guy now' impression.

Also, don't know why Casey Affleck was in this movie.

Agreed.

After I gave the movie a 7.5, I thought about it for a day and I was going to give it a higher grade, but then after thinking about it for another day, I want to lower my grade to about a 6.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #5810
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Interstellar - 9/10

Absolutely loved it. Epic in scope, keeps a real human story throughout, and rewards thinking about it afterward.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #5811
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
'Foxcatcher' looks really interesting. Definitely not a happy, feel-good story to say the least.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #5812
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Divergent opinions about Interstellar hmm?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #5813
korme
Go Reds

Seeing Birdman tonight, trying to figure out how I can Whiplash.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #5814
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Finally (I hope) going to see Gone Girl this weekend. I'm so far behind!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #5815
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

It's more 2001 than it is Inception.

There are a couple of plot points for which you need a really open mind to put your head around what Nolan is suggesting. I've seen a lot of people express frustration with these elements as not befitting a "hard" SciFi flick, but I think they're missing the point, though they can certainly be correct that it can lessen their enjoyment of the movie.

It's a movie that puts some big and crazy concepts out there on the screen and asks you to open your mind and think about it. I dunno, it's hard to say a lot more without getting spoilery.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #5816
rowech
Pro Starter

Interstellar -- I believe 20-25 years from now, this movie will be considered one of the greatest movies ever made, despite what to me is a subpar ending. The ending was fine but given the scope and buildup of the other 2.5 hours, it fell flat. That said, the thoughts, the size, the feelings behind the movie are nothing short of phenomenal. I understand why people are only wanting to give it a 7 or so, but given time, this movie is going go build up momentum as one of the all time classics of not just sci-fi but movies altogether. Despite the ending, an easy 10/10 for me.

Last edited by rowech : 11-15-2014 at 02:43 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #5817
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interstellar (8/10)-- rowech hit on some things there, so I want to chime in. I saw this last Sunday at an IMAX but it has taken me this long to put together my thoughts on this one. The story just has some really silly moments and plotholes. I have seen them laid out in articles and they're spot on. The ending is so Hollywood and nonsensical. In the IMAX at least, the score was ridiculously loud. It drowned out dialogue at times.

All that said, since I have seen it, all I have wanted to do is return to that "movie world", to see that all visualized again. It's just incredibly well shot, designed and beautiful. Plus, the acting is excellent and while the story goes weird places, it's not boring.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #5818
nol
Banned

Interstella 5555: 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (9/10)

Like Interstellar, this film involves intergalactic travel through wormholes and extreme sacrifice to be reunited with loved ones. Unlike Interstellar, this film is an animated music video for Daft Punk's album Discovery. If you remember seeing the music videos for "One More Time" or "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" involving blue alien creatures playing in a band, those are but two episodes of an epic narrative.

Interstella's worth seeing for the music alone. Discovery is, in my opinion, the most influential album recorded this century, uniting the carefree, unironic spirit of late 70s/80s pop with the then-underground sound of electronic/house music. Just as the music has held up since 2003, the animation (not the hugest anime buff, but evidently done by the same company that produced well-known series such as Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon) is top-notch, very stylized in keeping with the music's nod to the glammed-up 70s/80s aesthetic.

Interstella 5555 incorporates Discovery to construct an audiovisual experience composed of equal parts levity and poignancy, all without relying on any dialogue in an elegant 65-minute package. It's the millennial, space-age counterpart to Fantasia.

I thought Interstellar was pretty good too. My thoughts would probably be most in line with Chief's, but a little more positive on the ending while thinking it took a half hour or so to really get going.

Last edited by nol : 11-15-2014 at 07:47 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #5819
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I actually want to see Interstella 5555 after seeing the Crecendolls video a while back and wondering what the heck it was all about

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #5820
nol
Banned

It's up on YouTube as well, so definitely worth the low time cost of finding/watching it. I'm also eagerly awaiting the new wave of reviews coming in from confused people who were trying to see Interstellar.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #5821
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Birdman - 8/10

This was a really good movie. Micheal Keaton was fantastic in it. I don't know too much about how this movie was made, but it does seem like the role was tailor made for Keaton. Very solid cast - Michael Keaton, Zack Galifankis, Naomi Watts, Emma Stone, Ed Norton, great writing and some really interesting camera work - lots of long, single takes.

A very different movie, but worth it.

Well said.

Norton was great, as was Keaton. He's got such vulnerability in this movie.

Birdman slides in just behind Boyhood for my movie of the year (so far).
Old 11-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #5822
sabotai
General Manager

Annie Hall - 6/10

Maybe it was built up too much for me, but I don't think it was as good as others make it out. It was a bit boring and repetitive. And the ending was very anti-climatic. I'm sure in historical context, it was a ground breaking film, but today....it doesn't hold up all that great. Still, it was funny and not a paint-by-numbers romcom.

I've never been a big Woody Allen fan, though. I mean, I find his movies funny, but they'd never make a Top 10 of the year list for me.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - 7/10

Another film that has been built up and probably caused me to go in with expectations too high. It's hard to really rate this because it is, what is now, a paint-by-numbers romcom because its basic format has been copied a thousand times over (and for all I know, this film was a copy of previous romcoms). The acting was great. I think style wise, the film holds up better than Annie Hall. And, let's be honest, an hour and half of looking at Audrey Hepburn in her prime ain't a bad way to spend an evening.

Once Upon A Time In The West - 9/10

Now this was a fantastic movie. For such a slow paced movie, the almost 3 hours flew by. Great acting, fantastic directing and cinematography. From what I've read after watching, Henry Fonda was casted against type, playing the bad guy for the first time. Great call, he was fantastic. I'll definitely be watching a few more spaghetti westerns in the near future.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #5823
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure the point of the ending of Annie Hall was to be anti-climatic. It wasn't supposed to be your generic happy ending, which was quite different at the time.

Though Annie Hall happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time, so I'm slightly biased on anything dealing it .
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #5824
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Gone Girl - 8/10: That was a really well done film. Great acting, a fantastic plot twist, a well done story. Affleck and Pike just nailed their roles in this one and Carrie Coon is starting to become a fav for me (she plays the sister of Affleck in this one and is also on "The Leftovers"). Although, thinking about the movie a bit more (it's a movie that does indeed cause you to think), there are some massive plot holes, but it was quite an engrossing and fun ride while watching (and thinking about the major plot hole, just make it drop it to 8 instead of 9). Me and my friend left the theater really enjoying the film.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #5825
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Gone Girl - 9/10: That was a really well done film. Great acting, a fantastic plot twist, a well done story. Affleck and Pike just nailed their roles in this one and Carrie Coon is starting to become a fav for me (she plays the sister of Affleck in this one and is also on "The Leftovers"). Although, thinking about the movie a bit more (it's a movie that does indeed cause you to think), there are some massive plot holes, but it was quite an engrossing and fun ride while watching.

Interesting to see your review on this one. My wife and I saw this one about a week ago and unfortunately I think we'd both have rated it around a 4 due to the plot holes. The acting itself was pretty good (definitely agreed on Carrie Coon), but it was to the point that I was considering leaving the movie early. I stayed to see if they somehow made everything make sense but ended up very disappointed on that front. Felt to me like a move where a lot of the issues should have been caught early on in development and that it could have been *so* much better with a bit more attention to plot detail.

Was kind of funny listening to everybody leave the theater though as it seemed most got hung up on this plot hole or another and started comparing notes immediately after the show ended.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #5826
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Interstellar - 9/10

Absolutely loved it. Epic in scope, keeps a real human story throughout, and rewards thinking about it afterward.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Interstellar - 9/10
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #5827
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Interesting to see your review on this one. My wife and I saw this one about a week ago and unfortunately I think we'd both have rated it around a 4 due to the plot holes. The acting itself was pretty good (definitely agreed on Carrie Coon), but it was to the point that I was considering leaving the movie early. I stayed to see if they somehow made everything make sense but ended up very disappointed on that front. Felt to me like a move where a lot of the issues should have been caught early on in development and that it could have been *so* much better with a bit more attention to plot detail.

Was kind of funny listening to everybody leave the theater though as it seemed most got hung up on this plot hole or another and started comparing notes immediately after the show ended.

Well, I dropped it a score due to the major plot hole (the rest of the plot holes are just regular Hollywood):

Spoiler

And besides, those plot holes appear to be in the book as well, so you have a limited way you can really close them without throwing away the original book .

Anyways, when I left the theater, my friend and I were discussing how much we really liked the movie and how well done it was. Fincher knows how to create atmosphere and tension.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #5828
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

St. Vincent - 7.5/10

This was a good movie. Bill Murray was great, and I always enjoy Melissa McCarthy. The kid was very good too, and reminded me of my nephew. A nice date movie.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 11-17-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Bolded the score
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #5829
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Everything from a 5 to a 10! 10 FOFC voters, 7.95 average.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #5830
Kodos
Resident Alien

I really enjoyed both Gone Girl and Interstellar. For me, Gone Girl had more problems with "Oh come on" moments. With Interstellar, I enjoyed that Nolan swung for the fences with some wild ideas I'd never seen attempted before. The main one "oh come on" moment was hard to swallow (anyone who has seen the movie probably knows which scene I'm talking about), but when they explained it a little, I was able to accept it. I enjoyed the father-daughter dynamic, and in all honesty, got a little teary at points (but then, my daughter is my favorite person in the world). It was an entertaining movie throughout, and left me with lots to ponder. I thought it was a well-acted movie with a lot of spectacle. It captured the loneliness of going out into space with the thought that you may never make it back, and if you do, you are going to miss out on huge chunks of your kids' lives.

I do see the criticism that one poster had about Nolan not being able to cut his movies down to a more manageable size. I can forgive him for it, because he is swinging for the fences, rather than putting out stale/safe movies.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #5831
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Snowpiercer - 10/10: This was a fantastic movie! I wanted to see it in the theater but didn't get the chance. It's a fantastic premise - the remnants of humanity are on a train, divided into classes, that has been running since the world entered into a new Ice Age due to a misguided 'solution' to Global Climate Change. The lowest class, treated like crap, rebels (in a great stand in for the issues of class that we deal with in the world today - like all great sci-fi, it stands for something current). The casting is fantastic. Who knew Chris Evans could be such a great leading role. The way the train was set up was really fantastic as well, as you get to see how more and more luxurious the it got as you got to the front. Some really shocking twists as well (some folks may have figured it out, but I was caught totally off guard).

Under the Skin - 4/10: Dull, dull, dull. I know it was trying to make a point about loneliness and sex, but it just took forever to get it to the point and had hardly any dialogue. I'm a fan of 'art' films - I loved "Tree of Life" for one. But this one constantly tried to put me to sleep. Scarlett Johansson was absolutely fantastic in the role however.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #5832
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Who knew Chris Evans could be such a great leading role.

Marvel.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #5833
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Personally I find him meh as Capt. America. But that could be because the character is so dull.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #5834
Johnny93g
College Starter

Boyhood- 7/10

It's a good movie, not a great movie. I can easily see some people not finishing it, as by the 2 hour mark, I started looking at the clock. It's too long, and there isn't any real climax. It's well acted, the first hour i think is really great, and if your a fan of movie's, then it's obviously a must watch.

St. Vincent- 9/10

Yes, it's cliched, yes, it's sort of predictable, but that's not really a bad thing when it's executed like this. Very very enjoyable. Bill Murray is fantastic, and id love to see him get a nomination. Naomi Watts accent was weird at first, but i got used to it. I'd say it it's my fave flick of the year so far.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5835
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Boyhood- 7/10

It's a good movie, not a great movie. I can easily see some people not finishing it, as by the 2 hour mark, I started looking at the clock. It's too long, and there isn't any real climax. It's well acted, the first hour i think is really great, and if your a fan of movie's, then it's obviously a must watch.

St. Vincent- 9/10

Yes, it's cliched, yes, it's sort of predictable, but that's not really a bad thing when it's executed like this. Very very enjoyable. Bill Murray is fantastic, and id love to see him get a nomination. Naomi Watts accent was weird at first, but i got used to it. I'd say it it's my fave flick of the year so far.

Heh, those are both the last two movies I've seen in a theatre and I would rate them basically flipped. I thought the fact that Boyhood doesn't really follow a normal story arc was pretty neat. It literally felt like watching a boy growing up.

Both are good though, can't go wrong.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #5836
korme
Go Reds

WHIPLASH
Miles Teller and JK Simmons were awesome. Teller is an aspiring jazz drummer who attends one of the best music schools in the country under the tutelage of the school’s fearsome maestro of jazz, Simmons.

There are some grueling, gripping scenes. The ending is wonderful. I really, really enjoyed this movie.

8.5/10

Slips in just behind Birdman on my list this year, #3.

Last edited by korme : 11-20-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #5837
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've actually been really impressed by Miles Teller. He was great in Spectacular Now. Seems like he's got great talent, even though he looks like the 'comedic value' guy in high school movies (as he was in the new 'Footloose').
Old 11-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #5838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
an hour and half of looking at Audrey Hepburn in her prime ain't a bad way to spend an evening.

QFT
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #5839
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I've actually been really impressed by Miles Teller. He was great in Spectacular Now. Seems like he's got great talent, even though he looks like the 'comedic value' guy in high school movies (as he was in the new 'Footloose').

Yeh, his face doesn't really lend himself to 'leading star' roles, but if he can keep churning out movies like Spectacular Now and this, I'm all in.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #5840
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Catching up on my sporadic movie-watching and reviews:

American Hustle - 6+/10: My personal DVD collection (as oppose to my family's collection) is full of movies with great acting and/or story. I thought this would be a great addition since everything about it is right up my alley (con movie, Amy Adams, music, time period, Amy Adams, etc.) but truthfully, I felt it was one of the most boring movies ever as I watching it; even the payoff was boring. However, even though it was only last night I watched the movie, I have a strong feeling that it will grow on me and thus, the + rating. It was the acting of many players that makes it unforgettable - even though I felt at time it was a contest who can steal the most scenes. Subsequently, I had read that much of the acting was improvised and I think that was what hurt the continuity and tightness of the plot. Truth be told, I had never seen Jennifer Lawrence before (apart from clips) and I was astounded at how good she was, esp. being so young. Even though the movie/genre is not my style, I will now pick up the first two Hunger Games just to see more of her, along with Silver Linings Playbook.

Wolf of Wall Street - 4/10: Much like the abovementioned movie and others that I have, this is another 'memorable-acting' movie that I wanted to have, again in a time period that I knew. I am not a fan of Scorcese (too much of a shock director even though I liked Casino) and once again, he tries to throw everything possible in your face just to see your reaction. DiCaprio was really good in this movie and surprisingly, so was Hill. The rest of the cast did not leave any impression on me except for the brief McConnaughey appearance.

Saving Mr. Banks - 7/10: This movie took me by surprise - it was a lot darker and depressing than I thought it would be. The only thing that I knew was there would be a flashback to Travers' childhood and that Disney fanatics screamed about the inaccuracies. What I did not realize was half of the movie were flashbacks and that just ended up being a dark downward spiral. And the depressing part was how rude, cranky and stubborn someone like Travers could be (esp. in real-life as the recordings and interviews attest). But I felt that that part was not clear - how she went from a playful, imaginative child to a cranky lady. I get that she was oppressing the memories of her father and created Mary to come and save them (as Walt brought out) but her personality seemed to went to an extreme. But there were great performances in many roles and a good story of clash of cultures about a legendary movie (long been one of my most favorite Disney live-action movies).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #5841
korme
Go Reds

Yep, J-Law is awesome. Check out Winter's Bone.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #5842
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks Shane, I will.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #5843
revrew
Team Chaplain

Hunger Games, Mockingjay, Part 1: 6.5 out of 10

The positive: J-Law is flat out awesome in this one, grown up a bit into a more mature portrayal. She totally saves the movie, and her big, rally-the-troops speech is one of the best I've ever seen on film. Josh what's his face that plays Peeta gives a very solid, if brief, performance as well. The drama, set-up, and advancing of the storyline is intriguing.

The negative: I hate this practice of making the final movie in a series into two parts. And this one feels a bit stretched thin. It drags, especially early in the movie, and by the end, I didn't feel like I watched a complete story arc. I found myself thinking, That's it?

Combine this one with Part II, and together they might be an 8 out of 10. There's some great stuff in there. But all by itself, Part I just feels incomplete. Hence the 6.5.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #5844
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've heard similar to Mockingjay, pt. 1. But to be somewhat fair, the book itself is very different in the 2nd half than it is in the 1st half - and I consider it to be not only the best book in The Hunger Games series but probably the best final book in a Young Adult series I've ever read. If they can translate the 2nd half of the book onto the screen properly, I think it may be worth it to split it.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #5845
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I watched Catching Fire last night and enjoyed it until the abrupt ending. I might wait until both Mockingjay parts are on Netflix and watch them together.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #5846
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I've heard similar to Mockingjay, pt. 1. But to be somewhat fair, the book itself is very different in the 2nd half than it is in the 1st half - and I consider it to be not only the best book in The Hunger Games series but probably the best final book in a Young Adult series I've ever read. If they can translate the 2nd half of the book onto the screen properly, I think it may be worth it to split it.

I had never heard of the series but I saw some recent reviews where they said the third book was by far the weakest of the trilogy...and this was the book they made two movies out of.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #5847
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Yep, J-Law is awesome. Check out Winter's Bone.

This is an outstanding movie.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #5848
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

IIRC, Winter's Bone was J-Law's coming out party as she was unknown at the time.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #5849
Izulde
Head Coach

Catching Fire was the best of the series from a novel standpoint. My hunch is that it will end up being the worst from a movie standpoint, but we'll see.

Mockingjay I was somewhat conflicted on as a novel. Would need to go digging through my old FB posts to see if I could find.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #5850
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the first movie was okay and the second one was clearly going to be better, but then the movie hit the eject button instead of going the full three hours.