Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #5751
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Here's the article:

Cassette tapes see new life after MP3s – USATODAY.com

I still don't get this. The reasons they give for gravitating toward tapes are the same as CDs, right? A physical product. It's not like tapes are the portability equivalent of vinyl, in terms of sound. It's like having a limited edition version of the album, makes you feel connected to the recording? Sheesh. People will buy anything if it's marketed, I guess.

I'm imagining the people buying these are the same people who 10 years ago laughed at their friends for buying a CD and said "A CD? Ha! Nobody buys a copy of a disc anymore...digital is where it's at! I just download it to my iPod and I'm good to go! IT'S THE COOLEST! (read in the Billy Madison voice when talking about peeing your pants)"

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 10-05-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #5752
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Maybe they prefer tapes over CDs because they're smaller?

"Hi, let me tell you about MiniDiscs!"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5753
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Can I get put in the penalty box for posting a picture of Kathy Griffin in every thread that's started great and turned to shit over the past week? I mean, if the thread is already shit, I can't really make it worse, can I?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #5754
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cassettes making a comeback eh? Sounds like great news for the pen industry but bad news for this popular meme

Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5755
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Funny, just saw that on another board last week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #5756
Ksyrup

Better uses for cassette tapes:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #5757
korme
Go Reds

Certain Dri makes the worst commercials
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #5758
korme
Go Reds

Another commercial tangent:

KFC, your commercial is dumb hypocrisy! The one that says, "What part of the chicken is nugget? Here at KFC, we make popcorn chicken!"

What part of the chicken is popcorn KFC??
Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #5759
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

FUCKFUCKFUCK!

Update on the condo situation... The same condo went back on the market on condo.com on Friday. Called the broker & he said that it can't be bid on until it is on the HUD site. I have been checking it & last night at 2am found it to be available & taking bids. Called the broker this morning. He said bidding closes at 1am & are reviewed at 1pm. 1:30 he calls me & tells me it's no longer on the market. A bid was accepted. I'm pissed that he didn't find it was available to bid on yesterday. FUCK!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #5760
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallen, on cassettes
"It's about having something you can hold in your hands … that are kind of yours,"

Yeah, it's called an iPod...
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #5761
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

KFC, your commercial is dumb hypocrisy! The one that says, "What part of the chicken is nugget? Here at KFC, we make popcorn chicken!"

Yeah

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #5762
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

haha

I pointed this out to my wife the other day. PRetty stupid add from KFC.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #5763
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If you have 10 minutes to kill (and really, who here reading through all of this doesn't?)

Tom Cruise was in Pittsburgh last week, I guess filming a new movie, or "scouting" before filming. He was seen here- www.soergels.com

This led one of the local stations to begin a photoshop contest, placing Cruise in Pittsburgh situations.

The result are these...some are terrible, some are classics.

Tom Cruise Photoshop Contest - 102.5 WDVE
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #5764
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
If you have 10 minutes to kill (and really, who here reading through all of this doesn't?)

Tom Cruise was in Pittsburgh last week, I guess filming a new movie, or "scouting" before filming. He was seen here- www.soergels.com

This led one of the local stations to begin a photoshop contest, placing Cruise in Pittsburgh situations.

The result are these...some are terrible, some are classics.

Tom Cruise Photoshop Contest - 102.5 WDVE
I haven't clicked yet, but I'm trying to imagine what a Photoshop looks like of Tom Cruise being yelled at about how his favorite team doesn't have six Super Bowl rings.

Edit: After viewing about a dozen of these, I like what people are going for with these. I wish someone with actual Photoshop skills did them, though.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 10-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #5765
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You guys wouldn't believe the restraint I have. I only post about half of what I'm thinking. If this garbage is the half I'm willing to reveal, just imagine the vile comments that I keep to myself.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #5766
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I haven't clicked yet, but I'm trying to imagine what a Photoshop looks like of Tom Cruise being yelled at about how his favorite team doesn't have six Super Bowl rings.

Edit: After viewing about a dozen of these, I like what people are going for with these. I wish someone with actual Photoshop skills did them, though.

Yes...about 70% of them are just a copy/paste of any picture of him.
A handful are really good. The Bill Mazeroski one is great.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #5767
JediKooter
Coordinator

Felicity Jones is hot. Just saw her in person. Her pictures do not do her justice.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #5768
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This may actually be worthy of its own thread, but I don't really like starting threads, so I'll throw it in here.

I think I'm getting old. Tonight is the kick-off event for my company's mentoring sessions. A number of people from my company are going off-site to meet with the students we will be mentoring. The event runs from 6:30 to 8:30. Officially, the schedule is a meet-and-greet with our students from 6:30-7:00. Then, from 7:00-7:30, there will be an introduction to the program by the program director. Finally, 7:30-8:30 is set aside for additional one-on-one time between mentor and mentee. We have already been advised that it is OK to leave before 8:30 if necessary.

Here's where the "old" part comes in for me. I have a couple of younger colleagues (they're in their mid to late 20s) who also volunteered to be mentors. They are each planning to meet with their students from 6:30 to 7:00, tell their students that they have prior commitments (they've already told me that they don't), and then skip the remainder of the event because they think it'll be "boring." Personally, I have a couple of problems with that. First, I think it's rather disrespectful to leave the event before the program director has given her introductory speech to the crowd. Second, I think it cheats the students out of part of the experience. The idea is that the mentors are supposed to be be models of how to behave in a professional manner and environment. Each student is going into this thinking that they will have at least an hour with their mentor, and now two students are going to miss out on that. Sure, I imagine that some of the students will find this thing tedious and boring, but isn't it up to the mentors to do our part and stay engaged? I just feel that it sets a bad example to skip out of a 2-hour event after 30 minutes.

I feel old because I'm sure I would've wanted to get out of a "boring" event as quickly as possible when I was younger. Now I'm starting to feel like I have a responsibility as a mentor and as a professional to give my student the guidance she's expecting. Full disclosure, I need to leave the event early, also, but I'm leaving at 8:15, not 7:00.

I expect the students to be immature, not the mentors. I thought about saying something to my two colleagues, but I don't see any reason to bother. It's just disappointing to see this, especially when we volunteered to be mentors. This was not forced upon us, and we knew it would be outside of our working hours. I don't see the point of signing up for something and then half-assing it, especially when you're supposed to be a model for somebody.

I know I'm a goofball most of the time and all that, but I do take my job seriously, and I'm also serious about helping other people when I get the chance. I feel for the students who didn't get paired up with someone like myself.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #5769
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is kind of like getting old. It's called maturing, though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #5770
sabotai
General Manager

Right now, #EvenIfYouPaidMeIWont is trending on twitter. I click on it and see a bunch of guys saying a variation of "cheat of my girlfriend" or "cheat on my wife". They're obviously all cheating.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #5771
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I... clearly don't get Twitter.

Should I be yelling "get off my lawn" or something?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #5772
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ignoring trending topics is key to enjoying twitter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #5773
Rizon
Pro Starter

I think ignoring Twitter is the key to enjoying Twitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #5774
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Cassettes making a comeback eh? Sounds like great news for the pen industry but bad news for this popular meme

It's a pencil.

World gymnastics championships -- Meet the U.S. team - espnW

Jordyn Wieber, who lives in DeWitt, MI, would live roughly 20 miles from where I do. It's always interesting to see some local make it on a world stage.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #5775
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This whole thread is like a condensed version of Twitter.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #5776
Ksyrup

Twitter has become indispensible to my enjoyment of sports and news in general. I don't tweet much at all, and I don't follow anyone I personally know. It's all for sports/entertainment news and comedy. It's essentially like drawing on the world's best minds to have a global Mystery Science Theater 3000-like experence when shit happens. I never had so much fun as the night of the Miami/Maryland game reading hundreds of tweets riffing on the Maryland uniforms.

I don't know what other people do with twitter, but I first got on it simply because the net wasn't posting breaking news fast enough. You'd hear about an injury or trade or realignment news from twitter first, and then maybe an hour later, ESPN.com would finally post something. Twitter is where news breaks first.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-07-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #5777
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I don't know what to say....two phone calls in two days from the ex at ungodly hours...both times to yell at me about the kids, last night she overstepped her bounds, I was to tired to deal with it...tonight, when I pick the kids up for our weekend, it's going to be Armageddon.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #5778
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I don't know what to say....two phone calls in two days from the ex at ungodly hours...both times to yell at me about the kids, last night she overstepped her bounds, I was to tired to deal with it...tonight, when I pick the kids up for our weekend, it's going to be Armageddon.

Take a raptor with you.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #5779
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PING Pumpy

Pittsburgh Power Football » Power Name Derek Stingley Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Derek Stingley has been named defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Power. Stingley has coached arena football since joining the Macon Knights of the af2 as defensive coordinator in 2005. He was promoted to head coach of the struggling Knights during that season and turned the franchise around, leading the team to the playoffs. During his two-year tenure with the Knights, Derek coached a total of 18 players to All-af2 team recognition. Stingley then became head coach of South Georgia, posting a 30-13 record over three seasons, and was named “AF2 Head Coach of the Year” in 2008.
In 2009, Derek moved up to the AFL, where he served as defensive coordinator for the New Orleans VooDoo before being promoted head coach in 2011.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 10-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #5780
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Thanks. I didn't know about that, so I appreciate the news!

My understanding is that Stingley is a pretty good defensive coach. Unfortunately, he was terrible as a head coach with the VooDoo, but that's fine. The Power had a talented defense last year, but they couldn't put it together into one cohesive piece. Maybe Stingley will help with that. I look forward to being at the games and following the Power again in 2012.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #5781
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

On a completely different note, if someone tells you that it hurts to have a 15-pound bowling ball land on your foot after a 3-foot drop, believe them.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #5782
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

You're gonna play with animal crackers on her stomach?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #5783
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Post of the Day!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #5784
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Winning!

Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #5785
Logan
Head Coach

Remember back in the pre-HDTV days...you would get a new TV and people who came over would say "what a great picture!" WTF were those liars talking about?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #5786
Suicane75
Coordinator

Things change. Was a day when an afro on your naughty bits was "nicely trimmed".
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #5787
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Based on a recent Facebook post, it seems that the kid I've been training at work to be my number 2 now uses the same lame joke I do when I'm on shift in mission ops: "making sure the satellite doesn't fall out of the sky at the wrong rate."

I'm not sure what to make of it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #5788
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is older, but hilarious

Does embed work at all anymore? Or am I just an idiot? Or, the two aren't mutually exclusive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnl7vv6pGo0
Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #5789
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Complain about a restaurant experience to the corporate website, and now they have made me a secret shopper with regular free meals. Nice.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #5790
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Complain about a restaurant experience to the corporate website, and now they have made me a secret shopper with regular free meals. Nice.

If only UPS did the same thing for me...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #5791
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think Porsche should do that for me

SI

Old 10-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #5792
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm currently watching the first season of SNL and two things have struck me. Firstly, Candice Bergen was much prettier than I ever realized. Second, Lilly Tomlin was damn sexy. I can't believe I'm saying it but yeah, she was sexy. In a sultry sort of way.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 10-12-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #5793
MJ4H
Coordinator

????
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #5794
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I'm currently watching the first season of SNL and two things have struck me. Firstly, Candice Bergen was much prettier than I ever realized. Second, Lilly Tomlin was damn sexy. I can't believe I'm saying it but yeah, she was sexy. In a sultry sort of way.

Candi was flat out gorgeous. No comment on Lilly.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #5795
Telle
College Starter

Got my hair cut short last night. Donated ten inches to Locks of Love. It's now about shoulder length, which is the shortest it's been since grade school.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5796
Radii
Head Coach

Why the hell is Hulk Hogan on sportscenter? Why is he being interviewed about winning a title in on sportscenter!?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #5797
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
Got my hair cut short last night. Donated ten inches to Locks of Love. It's now about shoulder length, which is the shortest it's been since grade school.

My wife has done that a couple of times. Seems like a good idea for a charity

SI

Old 10-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #5798
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Why the hell is Hulk Hogan on sportscenter? Why is he being interviewed about winning a title in on sportscenter!?
better question: why are you watching sportscenter

lol ice burn
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #5799
JediKooter
Coordinator

Why was George Lucas hanging out by my office? At least I'm not fired.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #5800
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Why was George Lucas hanging out by my office? At least I'm not fired.
he wanted a hug dumbass