Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #5751
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Also, the second sentence that I've quoted shows that you missed Antmeister's point.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #5752
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauders View Post
Keep in mind that David is a Canadian.

Great, now I have to move.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #5753
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
And now, it's time for...

In the Maximum Football Locker Room, with ESPN's Bibi Gunn

Bibi: This is Bibi Gunn, reporting live from the locker room with Joe Russell, all-pro safety from the Sasketchupwan Roughriders. After two games, Russell leads the league with 43 interceptions, a pace that would give him more than 300 interceptions on the year. Russ, tell us, what’s the secret of your success?

Russell: Well, first of all, I’d like to thank our uniform designer for making me this awesome outfit. (holds up jersey) This is prolly the biggest reason I rule. See all the colors? That hypnotizes the opposing quarterback. Slows him down, like in that movie with that Neo dude. (makes pistol shooting gesture). I call it my Matrix effect.

Bibi: Yes, but that can’t be the only reason, Russ. Surely, there’s something else.

Russell: (thinking) Well, when the opposing quarterback goes back to throw and starts looking downfield, I wave my arms and yell, “Over here! Throw it to me!” (laughs) Bingo! Another interception! Gets them every time.

Bibi: But don’t the offenses adapt to you? I mean, after a couple dozen interceptions, you’d think the opposition would try different things?

Russell: Oh, yeah, they’re crafty as hell, always switching the count of the play and stuff. So I gotta always mix up how I play, you know? I’m always changing what I yell at the quarterback. Sometimes I say “I’m open. Hit me!” That’s a good one, Bibi. A quarterback really has to be on top of his game to not get fooled by that one. Other times, I’ll yell, “Loser, bet you can’t throw it this far!” Hah, you should see their faces after I pick one off with that clutch line. (laughs) I rule.

Bibi
: With an average of five interceptions a quarter, no one doubts your value to your team, but I’m sure you're aware of your detractors and what they say about your game, Russ, and you know I've got to ask you about it.

Russell: Oh. (looks down) The interception return yardage?

Bibi: Exactly. I mean, in 43 interceptions, you’ve yet to return one for a single yard. The replays show the truth: after every single interception, you topple over like a dead camel. Your total return yardage is zero, Russ. What do you have to say to your critics?

Russell: Football’s a complicated game, Bibi. Anyone knows that. It ain’t just a bunch of spread sheets and numbers. Heck, I did spread sheets and numbers years ago, and anyone can do that. Football requires quick thinking, Bibi. You got legs and arms, and it ain’t easy switching between the two, you know? Catching takes toootal concentwation with my arms, and I’m working hard at switching to using my legs. On top of that, I gotta remember to run, which is a complex activity involving lots of pixels, and depends on things like frame rates and such. No, not easy at all. Plus I ain’t the only one with that problem, Bibi. No one else in the league has any return yardage either.

Bibi: (looking at camera) Well, there you have it. Russell answers his critics. (looks back at Russell). Russ, there’s one more thing I wanted to ask you. On the stats sheet for interceptions, it mentions “Trys”. You got a zero in that, as did everyone else in the league. What the heck is a “try”?

Russell: (Looks perplexed.) Um, not sure there, Bibi. Maybe something about putting out a good effort? Or maybe we're actually playing rugby? But Bibi, I’m not concerned with that stuff. It’s spreadsheet stuff, and spreadsheets are kid's stuff.

Bibi: (looking at camera) Signing off from Sasketchupwan, I'm Bibi Gunn. Bang bang. (winks)

Can't believe I missed this follow up to your original post way back when. Great stuff.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #5754
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the game went into lockdown

Pity the designer & the developers didn't go there too.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #5755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I believe the new patch fixes that.

Depends upon your screen resolution.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #5756
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 12-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #5757
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
What I'm basically hearing from you is that there is no attempt at realism with this game. That it is a game that approximately simulate the general actions of football ,but there is no attempt at actually producing realistic results - whether they be by CFL, NCAA, NFL, XFL, whatever standards.

That is false.

Look at your examples: the NCAA, NFL, and XFL, along with the USFL and WFL and other leagues had different styles of play. Maximum Football is designed to allow the game player to select which kind of play he wants.

The NFL single game rushing record was just set by Adrian Peterson at 296 yards. The NCAA rushing record is 441 yards. Barry Sanders had four 300 yard rushing games for Oklahoma State, and Darren McFadden with Felix Jones combined for 487 yards of rushing in one game for Arkasas. There is quite a bit a variability there.

Old Coach, a long time beta tester, dials down the in game constants and uses T and Wing based playbooks to allow him to much better simulate 1950's style NCAA games, while I like to stay more closely to the NFL game. As I stated, the game is what one makes of it.

Quote:
If you look at the M-F site it makes you believe that you will be able to approximately simulate one of these leagues if you set the rules the same. My understanding at this point is that it is simply not the case.

I would have to disagree.

Quote:
M-F is not sophisticated enough to do so. It can somewhat approximate football in a graphical sense on the field, but the actual macro results do not resemble football that we know.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1624199

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1625643

Quote:
The bottom line here, to me, is that M-F appears to basically be the video game version of the little shaking table football game from the 70's. While fun for some, it doesn't actually simulate the game of football - it uses basic football motions to present a game for its audience.

Have you actually played the game or asked about game play on the Matrix Games board? This statement shows not only that you don't know what the game can do, but you also do not understand how it does it.
Marauders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #5758
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yet another example of MaxFB math.

Release date: March 3, 2006
Today's date: Dec. 18th, 2007

The difference in MaxFB land is "just over one year".

Nice try.

Just over one year, as in just enough out of context posts.

Just: merely, only.

While I can see how it could be read the other way, does it matter? Is it over one year or over two? Is it over nine years?

No, it doesn't matter; it is just bashing. I guess you scored a million points on Guitar Hero too.

Quote:
Consider that FOF has been out for nine years. Madden has been out for much longer. Maximum Football has been out for just over one year, and it has a single developer with no help from Electronic Arts as the other two have had. It has taken time to make improvements, and it will continue to take time to make more.

Last edited by Marauders : 12-18-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #5759
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Have you actually played the game or asked about game play on the Matrix Games board? This statement shows not only that you don't know what the game can do, but you also do not understand how it does it.

You realize I don't actual think it shakes, right?

Quote:
That is false.

Look at your examples: the NCAA, NFL, and XFL, along with the USFL and WFL and other leagues had different styles of play. Maximum Football is designed to allow the game player to select which kind of play he wants.

The NFL single game rushing record was just set by Adrian Peterson at 296 yards. The NCAA rushing record is 441 yards. Barry Sanders had four 300 yard rushing games for Oklahoma State, and Darren McFadden with Felix Jones combined for 487 yards of rushing in one game for Arkasas. There is quite a bit a variability there.

Those are anomoly's. When you look at the info averaged out, everything looks "normal". That's not what I'm seeing with this data.

Again, you say you can make it mirror these things. I have yet to see data that mirrors any of those things, and that's what we're asking for. We do not want to buy a game to THEN find out that it doesn't do what we want it to do.

You again claim that some tester has done this, and you've done that, and it has mirrored these real life leagues. Yet, you can't provide us with any data to actually show that it happens - can you see where this is a problem for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #5760
wade moore
lolzcat

You don't really expect one example over one game taht got a score predicted right to prove anything, do you?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #5761
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
You don't really expect one example over one game that got a score predicted right to prove anything, do you?

Quote:
M-F is not sophisticated enough to do so. It can somewhat approximate football in a graphical sense on the field, but the actual macro results do not resemble football that we know.

Isn't the CFL football that we know?

Quote:
You again claim that some tester has done this, and you've done that, and it has mirrored these real life leagues. Yet, you can't provide us with any data to actually show that it happens - can you see where this is a problem for us?

I just gave you another example, but you blew it off.

You want to cherry pick the results to fit your premise.

I gave you this game as an example, and it is no more or more less than that.

Last edited by Marauders : 12-18-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #5762
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If you think that 1 year plus 9 months is "just over" one year, and are trying to defend that level of accuracy, then that really says it all about this discussion of the game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #5763
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

See, this here is what we call a difference of opinion. You, I am guessing, are impressed with the game "predicting" the score when it was actually off by one point. Close though, I will give you that.

I on the other hand look at the stats. Maximum Football produced a game with 117 combined pass attempts, compared to 67 combined pass attempts in real life. In fact, in real life there were only 111 total offensive plays.

And before you try to brush it off and suggest that the CFL is more pass oriented then the NFL, the CFL record for passes attempts by a QB in a game is 66 I believe. So that one game just happens to have above average stats I supposed. The CFL record for pass attempts in a single game by both teams is 108. Dinwiddie, in the fake game, had 70 pass attempts. The most by a Winnipeg QB this year was 54 in one game, the average usually in the 30's.

I suppose this game "prediction" that was run could be an oddity and is the exception to the rule but somehow I doubt it from everything else I have seen.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #5764
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And to address the styles of play, specifically the college game as you brought up in a previous post:

The hashmarks on the field are in the same location in the college and the pro game. This is a huge difference in the style of play between the two level, and also has an enormous impact on play creation, since the blocking of the linemen changes greatly depending on how close to the sidelines the ball is when it is snapped.

Two, the option play is an integral part of the college game. If the ball cannot be pitched, then you are severely crippled in the types of plays you can run out of the wing-t, flexbone, wishbone, or other option oriented formation.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #5765
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
You realize I don't actual think it shakes, right?

I am not too sure.

From the posts on this topic in just the past few days, I can see that many poeple don't have a clue how the game even works. The game does not use tables and stats to work out an end result and then show that result on the screen. The game uses skill attributes to have players react on the field in a physical environment, and the result is determined by what the players are doing on the field. It is because Maximum Football is played in a physical environment, playbooks and gameplans are critical.

Quote:
Those are anomoly's. When you look at the info averaged out, everything looks "normal". That's not what I'm seeing with this data.

I can make the data show what I want it to show. Ask just about anyone who plays the game often, they will tell you that the game can be dialed up or down by the user rather simply.

Quote:

Here is an example that has been up at the Matrix Games board since last December:

Quote:
Lucas718 stated: I decided to run a little test just to see how realistic the stats are that the game generates. The following test was run in Release 3 using the Fun and Gun playbook, each game was played out cpu-cpu live on the field (not quick simmed), 15:00 minute quarters, american professional rules, sudden death OT. Some interesting results were produced. I think they look pretty good in most areas. The NFL averages were taken from football-freaks.com... if you play Madden and have followed Redwolf's slider project then you know what I mean.

Per Team
Total Yards per game____________NFL: 320.47____MF: 289.72
Passing Attempts________________NFL: 32.10_____MF: 29.44
Passes Completed________________NFL: 19.05_____MF: 17.28
Completion Percentage___________NFL: 59.34_____MF: 58.70
Passing Yards___________________NFL: 204.82____MF: 193.72
Passing TDs per game____________NFL: 1.32______MF: 1.38
Interception Percentage_________NFL: 3.18______MF: 4.67
Interceptions thrown per game___NFL: 1.02______MF: 1.38
Sacks___________________________NFL: 2.26______MF: 1.22
Rushing Attempts________________NFL: 28.20_____MF: 29.69
Rushing Yards___________________NFL: 115.72____MF: 96.00
Yards Per Carry_________________NFL: 4.08______MF: 3.23
Rushing TDs per game____________NFL: 0.83______MF: 0.97
Punt Average____________________NFL: 41.94_____MF: 44.32
FG Percentage___________________NFL: 78.75_____MF: 66.00
Turnovers_______________________NFL: 1.77______MF: 1.75
Fumbles_________________________NFL: 1.56______MF: 0.38
Fumbles Lost____________________NFL: 0.74______MF: 0.16
Total Plays_____________________NFL: 62.56_____MF: 59.16

Note that these numbers are not the same as the MFL stats posted. YPC and YPA differ greatly. That is because different leagues want different styles of play. Why is that so difficult a premise to understand?

Last edited by Marauders : 12-18-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #5766
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
If you think that 1 year plus 9 months is "just over" one year, and are trying to defend that level of accuracy, then that really says it all about this discussion of the game.

You do realize that the word "just" has more than one definition, don't you? I mean, I just posted it for you.

Quote:
And to address the styles of play, specifically the college game as you brought up in a previous post: ....

I would have to say that just about everyone on the board knows that, so what is the point? The game is different? Yeah, that's my point.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #5767
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why is that so difficult a premise to understand?

Because you usually just say things, and provide no real data to see ourselves. Someone says the game is wacky, and all over the place with stats. Your arguement is to provide a link to a website that actually backs up the way he feels.

Now, with these last couple of posts, you are actually giving some different things to look at. If I see examples, combined with the words "you can turn the game up or down how you want" then I am more likely to believe it. Just your words, with no real examples means crap to me and I am sure many others here.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #5768
cartman
Death Herald

Ok, then.

Maximum Football is "just almost" a football game.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #5769
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Seriously. You are showing me 931 passing yards for both teams and they somehow only manage 3 passing touchdowns. Doesn't that seem odd to you? So basically each defense was getting their asses kicked up and down the field until they reached the end zone and the defenses became the '85 Bears.

On a side note the description on the top right picture is funny:

Last edited by Antmeister : 12-18-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #5770
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
You do realize that the word "just" has more than one definition, don't you? I mean, I just posted it for you.

This is almost juicy enough to make a parody. Thanks for that.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #5771
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I am not too sure.

From the posts on this topic in just the past few days, I can see that many poeple don't have a clue how the game even works. The game does not use tables and stats to work out an end result and then show that result on the screen. The game uses skill attributes to have players react on the field in a physical environment, and the result is determined by what the players are doing on the field. It is because Maximum Football is played in a physical environment, playbooks and gameplans are critical.

I am well aware of how it works. If the "physics engine" is well done, it should still produce "realistic" results.

Quote:
Here is an example that has been up at the Matrix Games board since last December:

Note that these numbers are not the same as the MFL stats posted. YPC and YPA differ greatly. That is because different leagues want different styles of play. Why is that so difficult a premise to understand?
It only took about 6th months, but finally we get what we were asking for.

Those numbers do look pretty good, but confuse me because you say it has been there since December. It was pretty obvious by reading the boards pretty thoroughly after release that this did not match what the general customer base was seeing with default settings.

Is this the typical experience under those default settings that that user mentions?

Quote:
Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #5772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
... they somehow only manage 3 passing touchdowns.

I'm guessing that they really had at least 6. After all, this is mAxmium foToball math.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #5773
Lorena
Unregistered

I heart this thread
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #5774
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Actually I am confused by the bottom left picture too. Since he was on the winning team, is it saying you don't win a ring when you win? That's....interesting.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #5775
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm guessing that they really had at least 6. After all, this is mAxmium foToball math.

You're right. 39 out of 70 passes mean less than 50% completed according to the graphic. I didn't realize you can also customize completion percentage in the game as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #5776
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm so football watching deprived those screenshots are actually starting to look good.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #5777
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Antmeister, how trollish of you to point out these "just" slightly inaccurate captions
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #5778
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Antmeister, how trollish of you to point out these "just" slightly inaccurate captions

I know you are just joking, but I believe I have a just cause to show those screenshots that are just slightly inaccurate. "Why?", you ask. Just because.

Last edited by Antmeister : 12-18-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #5779
Lorena
Unregistered

stop causing problems antmeister!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #5780
cartman
Death Herald

I just didn't realize that there were just so many ways to use the word 'just'. I figure somewhere between just over 20 and just under 17.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #5781
Schmidty
Coordinator

I am embarrassed that I only have like 1-2 posts in this thread.

Now I have three. That's the magic number.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #5782
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I cannot believe that there can still be a debate about the merits of this game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #5783
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just didn't realize that there were just so many ways to use the word 'just'. I figure somewhere between just over 20 and just under 17.

LOL! This is just wrong.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #5784
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Predicted
Quote:
Passing:
WPG Ryan Dinwiddie QB 39/70, 503 yds, 1 TD 0 INT
SSK Kerry Joseph QB 31/47, 428 yds, 2 TD 1 IINT

Actual:
Quote:
Passing:
WPG Ryan Dinwiddie QB 15/33, 225 yds, 1 TD 3 INT
SSK Kerry Joseph QB 13/34, 181 yds, 1 TD 1 IINT

Passing was only off by 525 yards

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #5785
Lorena
Unregistered

You just never know
Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #5786
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Passing was only off by 525 yards

Don't you mean 'just' 525 yards?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #5787
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I cannot believe that there can still be a debate about the merits of this game.

At this stage, actually at any stage, there was never was a debate. Marauders just wanted to join in the ribbing for some odd reason and I am guessing everyone is just having fun with it because we don't know if Marauders is trying to be for real or simply trying to stir up a thread that has almost been forgotten numerous times.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #5788
Dutch
"Dutch"

This thread, I love. More! More! More!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #5789
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Imagine Marauders as the marketing rep for a car manufacturer about to release the first car you can customize on the fly whenever and whatever you want and when the press hear wind of this I imagine the conversation going like this:

Press reporter #1: Mr. Marauders, as you get ready to roll out these cars tomorrow, what features do you think are going to stand out to the consumer?

Marauders: Steering wheel, tires and and a humungoid cup holder if you type the cheat code in the steering column.

Press reporter #1: Uh....wha....why are those features? Aren't those expected?

Marauders: The fact that you have a humungoid cup holder is gonna be a great selling point to this vehicle. Plus, you can change out the steering wheel easily by screwing it in using a customized tool another manufacturer makes.

Press reporter #1: Uh...okay...and the tires?

Marauders: They will in fact come with the car and you will only have to change them every 150 miles due to the fact that it is bloated with a lot of great features.

Press reporter #1: (packing away her stuff) I'm done.

Marauders: Next! Yes, you portly man.

Press reporter #2: Can you give us any specs on this car? There doesn't seem to be much info on this car floating out there and there are rumors it peaks at 35 miles per hour, runs on a 1/2 gallon tank of gasoline for a maximum distance of 23.799999999 miles, and intermittenly teleports small children and/or wild animals into the car for no apparent reason.

Marauders: Well you were looking at an earlier prototype stage. At our private labs, we are seeing max speeds of about 350 mph and average driving speeds of 150 if you have the customized wind sail on the roof...

Press reporter #2: What? There is another prototype stage. Isn't this gonna roll out tomorrow?

Marauders: Hold on to your sweaty socks there. Of course there is another stage. In fact I am part of the team that helps with its design decisions. Maximum Ford would have it no other way and since I am part of this secret team I am not at license to tell you more about it due to some contracts I signed.

Press reporter #2: Uh....didn't you just tell us the "new" prototype has a max speed of 350 mph and some other crazy stuff. All I want to know is what the car is going to eventually look like and how it will perform compared to say a standard economy car.

Marauders: We don't manufacture your typical American cars. That's already been done.

Press reporter #2: I am just asking how it is going to look. I saw your protype a decade ago and wasn't impressed. I just wanna know what your final product looks like. By the way can we test drive these cars today?

Marauders: Our designer didn't put too much time into making extra keys for the cars. If you want to drive one, you gotta buy one. Keys take too much time to make and we want him to spend his time to improve the prototype.

Press reporter #2: Alright I will bite, how much will this car cost?

Marauders: Well since this was designed by a single person using Autocad, you're looking for a reasonable price range of $150,000. But remember, you are getting the first customizable car. You can even change out the doors with just a little elbow grease.

Press reporter #2: Ok...that is shit.

Marauders: You are just an asshole.

Press reporter #2: What did you call me?

Maruders: There is more than one definition of the word "just".

Last edited by Antmeister : 12-18-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #5790
Schmidty
Coordinator

That was really long Ant.

Maybe you could have spent that time posting pictures and videos on your lame myspace that you never log in to.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #5791
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
That was really long Ant.

Maybe you could have spent that time posting pictures and videos on your lame myspace that you never log in to.

Freaking myspace junkie!
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #5792
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Great Ant.

Only thing I would add in there is that you have to make 100 tweaks and adjustments to the car before you can start it, and then you have to spend the next 2 years making tweaks until you can get it to run the way we have said. What we have said about the car, but it's up to all of you to figure out how to get it to run that way. We did this because we understand some people like 5 MPG while others like 100 MPG.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #5793
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #5794
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Press reporter #2: Ok...that is shit.

Marauders: You are just an asshole.

Press reporter #2: What did you call me?

Maruders: There is more than one definition of the word "just".
tl;dr

but that last part made me lawl
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #5795
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ryan Dinwiddie showed his inexperience completing just less than 50% of his passes going 39/70...

Fixed that shit for ya
Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #5796
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
From the posts on this topic in just the past few days, I can see that many poeple don't have a clue how the game even works.
Knowing *how* something works isn't akin to knowing that something *doesn't* work. I mean, we're no rocket scientist over here (well, except for tk), but we don't need a degree to know that when the rocket blew the fuck up on the launch pad, it didn't work.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 12-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #5797
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Lucas718 stated: I decided to run a little test just to see how realistic the stats are that the game generates. The following test was run in Release 3 using the Fun and Gun playbook, each game was played out cpu-cpu live on the field (not quick simmed), 15:00 minute quarters, american professional rules, sudden death OT. Some interesting results were produced. I think they look pretty good in most areas. The NFL averages were taken from football-freaks.com... if you play Madden and have followed Redwolf's slider project then you know what I mean.

Per Team
Total Yards per game____________NFL: 320.47____MF: 289.72
Passing Attempts________________NFL: 32.10_____MF: 29.44
Passes Completed________________NFL: 19.05_____MF: 17.28
Completion Percentage___________NFL: 59.34_____MF: 58.70
Passing Yards___________________NFL: 204.82____MF: 193.72
Passing TDs per game____________NFL: 1.32______MF: 1.38
Interception Percentage_________NFL: 3.18______MF: 4.67
Interceptions thrown per game___NFL: 1.02______MF: 1.38
Sacks___________________________NFL: 2.26______MF: 1.22
Rushing Attempts________________NFL: 28.20_____MF: 29.69
Rushing Yards___________________NFL: 115.72____MF: 96.00
Yards Per Carry_________________NFL: 4.08______MF: 3.23
Rushing TDs per game____________NFL: 0.83______MF: 0.97
Punt Average____________________NFL: 41.94_____MF: 44.32
FG Percentage___________________NFL: 78.75_____MF: 66.00
Turnovers_______________________NFL: 1.77______MF: 1.75
Fumbles_________________________NFL: 1.56______MF: 0.38
Fumbles Lost____________________NFL: 0.74______MF: 0.16
Total Plays_____________________NFL: 62.56_____MF: 59.16

What Lucas failed to mention was his results were from a single game. Yep, he had 0.16 fumbles lost in that game and 59.16 total plays. Maximum customization baby!

Don't worry Marauders, I'm just kidding!

Last edited by Bee : 12-19-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #5798
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
I am well aware of how it works. If the "physics engine" is well done, it should still produce "realistic" results.

It only took about 6th months, but finally we get what we were asking for.

With all of the linkage to the Matrix Games board, I would have thought at least one link would have gone to posts like that.

Quote:
Those numbers do look pretty good, but confuse me because you say it has been there since December. It was pretty obvious by reading the boards pretty thoroughly after release that this did not match what the general customer base was seeing with default settings.

I agree.

There was a prerelease video that went out, and the passing was much too high. I was actually one of the major critics of that on the Matrix Games board. I stated it was much too high and unrealistic for many computer game players that wanted statistics much closer to the NFL standard.

Because many of the beta team members had also been on the pre-matrix game board, and after the release NDA was lifted, I asked them about game features and areas that needed help. One thing that needed to be tweaked was the playbooks. That is when I became a beta team member.

I must state this again, playbooks and gameplans are a critical factor when using coaching mode, and defenses are more difficult to set up correctly just as they are in the real world.

Quote:
Is this the typical experience under those default settings that that user mentions?

I suspect so, as that is what he used. These are being tweaked often, and many game owners dial them up or down by how they like the game played.

Because the game allows features to be selectcted for hybrid rules (giving American rules the rouge ...), there are many types of leagues that can be played. One guy is even trying to have a no-punts option, but the game was not really set up to do that.

One thing the beta guys have been working on is making it easier to set the sim game setting up to match the 3D game play. If a game owner wants a more open game, then allowing a more open sim game to match is important.

On a side note, someone earlier noted that one league didn't have field goals over 50 yards. That is an item that the team owner sets in the playbook. If one wants his kicker to go for 55 yard kicks, then one can set that as the maximum range of the kicker for the playbook. The default playbooks have it set at 45 yards.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #5799
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
One guy is even trying to have a no-punts option, but the game was not really set up to do that.
The game must be doing some neat tricks to simulate indoor football, then.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #5800
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

It would have helped if he would actually have got them right and in context.

Quote:
You're right. 39 out of 70 passes mean less than 50% completed according to the graphic. I didn't realize you can also customize completion percentage in the game as well.

One may note that the creator of the topic in the Matrix Games forum posted that this caption was incorrect just a few posts after he posted the graphic. It is pretty simple to point that out when the person that created the graphic already did.

Quote:
Actually I am confused by the bottom left picture too. Since he was on the winning team, is it saying you don't win a ring when you win? That's....interesting.

Of course, he may be confused because he is used to watching a ball move back and forth on the screen as a graphic, but one can clearly see the ball in the air on its way to the Blue Bombers' receiver in the middle of the graphic (note it isn't just teleported there).

Future CFL Hall of Famer Milt Stegall retired after the Grey Cup as a Winnipeg Blue Bomber. Stegall always has been a Winnipeg Blue Bomber since signing his first CFL contract, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were not the winning team.

How ironic it is that Antmeister's reply to that caption is inaccurate .

Nevertheless, the captions were done by the person starting the topic. They have little revelence on the game itself.

Last edited by Marauders : 12-19-2007 at 12:51 PM.