Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #5701
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

For most of us, this isn't about being right. It's just fun to throw out the speculation. This is like a perpetual July 31st trade deadline.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #5702
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well...it's a good 50/50 mix right now on the boards...

half of them think...the offer is coming...

the other half are ready to pull donor money, switch allegiance and everything else because BYU "dropped the ball"
Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #5703
spleen1015
Coordinator

Whitlock tweeting that Ball St. is going to the Big 12 if Missouri joins the SEC.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #5704
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
For most of us, this isn't about being right. It's just fun to throw out the speculation. This is like a perpetual July 31st trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy this thread and always click on it when there is a new post. I was directing that more at the people that get really bent out of shape about some of the sources being bad when in fact I can't remember one source accurately saying Syracuse/Pitt to the ACC.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5705
Ksyrup

@DaveSittler: Big 12 source: "Louisville next in line."

Dave Sittler Dave Sittler by dennisdoddcbs
Big 12 source: "BYU, West Virginia and Tulane also on list."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #5706
Ksyrup

Tulane?!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #5707
JeeberD
General Manager

That made the CUSA board rounds yesterday after it got a mention in an ESPN.com article. Apparently Tulane's academics and large NO market make it an attractive school despite the fact that they're terrible in football and basketball, draw no fans, and have terrible facilities.

*shrug*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #5708
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Report: Missouri Tigers hope to join SEC, had wanted Big Ten invite most - ESPN

Quote:
The source said that Tulane would become a viable option for the Big 12 if it were to grab four schools to beef up the membership to 12, in a situation where BYU decides it doesn't want to leave its football independence or its new tie to the WCC in all other sports. Tulane is interesting to the Big 12 because of its location in New Orleans and in a state, Louisiana, where the Big 12 is absent, as well as the school's renewed commitment to sports and facilities after Hurricane Katrina.

A source with knowledge of Tulane's situation told ESPN.com that the Green Wave have privately been making overtures to the Big East and Big 12 about possible membership but didn't want to upset Conference USA as that league looks to form a partnership with the Mountain West.

Tulane is also a member of the Association of American Universities -- the only AAU member listed as a possible addition. The prestigious AAU tag is something that the SEC has looked at as an important criterion for expansion as evidenced by the league promoting Texas A&M as one of three AAU members in the SEC in a news release announcing the Aggies' addition. Florida and Vanderbilt are the other two in the SEC.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #5709
Galaxy
Coordinator

The Big 12 seems like their trying to just throw darts at the wall in rebuilding the conference.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #5710
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Confused by this:

If you add 2 western schools (Mizzou and aTm), then 2 schools have to move east. I just assumed Alabama and Auburn would both move to the east, and that would solve the issue, right? Alabama would play UT every year as a division game, and Auburn gets what they want. So if Alabama is concerned they would lose the UT game, and you need 2 teams to move east, who would move with Auburn?

I guess I'm confused on the Alabama thing. How does adding an east coast team save their UT game, and why wouldn't them moving to the east division save it?

not good math . if 2 schools are added to the west, only 1 school would move east not 2. that is the problem. Alabama's 2 big rivals would then be in the east. And therefore Bama would lose thier yearly game with Tennessee. (Clearly they would keep Auburn under this scenario.)
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #5711
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PowerMizzou.com reporting that the Birmingham report saying votes weren't there for Mizzou is incorrect. Says Mizzou will be accepted if it decides to move.

PowerMizzou.com - TCU invited, what's next for Mizzou?

Quote:
@DaveSittler: Big 12 source: "Louisville next in line."

Dave Sittler Dave Sittler by dennisdoddcbs
Big 12 source: "BYU, West Virginia and Tulane also on list."

This is frightening if you're Mizzou. Definitely not an upgrade compared to what was lost. Also spans a wider geographic area than the SEC, which is contrary to the tight geographic area that the B12 was trying to maintain.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-06-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #5712
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Clearly next up for the Big 12 is to invite McGill University. I mean so what if they are Canadian!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #5713
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Also spans a wider geographic area than the SEC, which is contrary to the tight geographic area that the B12 was trying to maintain.

BYU would be the long trip, but the other schools considered are closer to Columbia, MO than Georgia, Florida and South Carolina in the SEC.

Louisville - 384
Cincinnati - 465
Morgantown, WV - 738
New Orleans -786

Athens - 736
Columbia, SC - 870
Gainesville, FL - 1008

Even with BYU, it it only 200 miles farther to Provo than it is to Gainesville.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #5714
MacroGuru
Coordinator

OMG....if this is true...I might walk away from BYU as a fan just for the clear fact of messing it up...

The rumors are out of control but it is coming from multiple directions. BYU is off the BIG12 list as of last week.

Now I do not know what to make of this. Did BYU want to much? Do they see the conference going down and not resurrecting.

I am of the camp BYU needed the Big12 as much as they needed BYU...this actually hurts, we are always going to be on the outside looking in when it comes to bowls or anything else.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #5715
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
BYU would be the long trip, but the other schools considered are closer to Columbia, MO than Georgia, Florida and South Carolina in the SEC.

Louisville - 384
Cincinnati - 465
Morgantown, WV - 738
New Orleans -786

Athens - 736
Columbia, SC - 870
Gainesville, FL - 1008

Even with BYU, it it only 200 miles farther to Provo than it is to Gainesville.

Sure, because Mizzou sits at the center of the conference. But if you judge end-to-end, it's not even remotely similar. Longest distance if Mizzou were to join would likely be the Gainesville, FL to Columbia, MO as you cited. Longest trip in the new B12 would be over 1,900 miles (Morgantown, WV to Provo, UT), nearly double the longest SEC trip.

Now, obviously the B12 could add Tulane, but I'm not sure the fans/media would be able to stop laughing quick enough to actually remeasure those distances.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #5716
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporting that Chuck Neinas visit to Mizzou tomorrow has been postponed indefinitely. Pretty good sign Mizzou is done talking, which isn't a surprise.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #5717
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure, because Mizzou sits at the center of the conference. But if you judge end-to-end, it's not even remotely similar. Longest distance if Mizzou were to join would likely be the Gainesville, FL to Columbia, MO as you cited. Longest trip in the new B12 would be over 1,900 miles (Morgantown, WV to Provo, UT), nearly double the longest SEC trip.

Now, obviously the B12 could add Tulane, but I'm not sure the fans/media would be able to stop laughing quick enough to actually remeasure those distances.

I would love to have Tulane on the schedule. Every couple of years I would have a football road trip that I could sell as a huge must see game. Girlfriend doesn't know the difference between Tulane and Texas or OU. New Orleans we sure be a lot of fun though!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #5718
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's silly. Your wish list should look like this if you're the Big XII (which may mean you're not actually allowed to have a "wish list"):

TCU
BYU

WVirginia

Louisville

SMU?
Rice?
Houston?
Tulane?
WTFU?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #5719
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's silly. Your wish list should look like this if you're the Big XII (which may mean you're not actually allowed to have a "wish list"):
SMU?
Rice?
Houston?
Tulane?
WTFU?

SI

Getting the gang back together for Texas isn't #1 on your list either?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #5720
MJ4H
Coordinator

I would root like hell for WTFU if it existed.

Lets make it Wake The Forest University. I'm on that train.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #5722
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well...it's a good 50/50 mix right now on the boards...

half of them think...the offer is coming...

the other half are ready to pull donor money, switch allegiance and everything else because BYU "dropped the ball"

It would be a dream come true if BYU ended up in the Sun Belt. Fitting place for them.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #5723
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My Chapel Hill friends relay the talk of the town - Notre Dame indeed is willing and ready to join the ACC, even as early as the 2012 football season, but they want some kind of say in team #16. ND wants to join with a Penn State, a Texas, or other similar-statured school, and definitely does not want to be seen as tagging along with a Rutgers or a UConn. ND can wait as long as they need to, but if a team like PSU said they'd move to the ACC, there would be a presser tomorrow morning. As is stands now, ND can wait comfortably on their mountain of money as long as they want.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #5724
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
My Chapel Hill friends relay the talk of the town - Notre Dame indeed is willing and ready to join the ACC, even as early as the 2012 football season, but they want some kind of say in team #16. ND wants to join with a Penn State, a Texas, or other similar-statured school, and definitely does not want to be seen as tagging along with a Rutgers or a UConn. ND can wait as long as they need to, but if a team like PSU said they'd move to the ACC, there would be a presser tomorrow morning. As is stands now, ND can wait comfortably on their mountain of money as long as they want.

The ACC needs to send a lawyer to South Bend to explain what "Grants of Rights" mean, then. Penn State literally is worthless until 2027 at the earliest.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #5725
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

This is why I love ND. They can join the Big Ten and be with these schools they seem to want to be attached to, but they refuse. They want to be catered to and the Big Ten won't do it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #5726
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think you overestimate the Big-10 here
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #5727
Blade6119
Coordinator

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #5728
Logan
Head Coach

I was on the Acela coming back from DC, and as I was getting ready to get off the train in NYC, I ran into ND bball coach Mike Brey, up here on a recruiting trip. We shot the shit for a few minutes and he told me he's worried about where they (as a basketball program) fall, and one thing he's sure about is that ND will never join a football conference.

That's my legitimate, first-hand contribution to the thread.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #5729
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post

Nashville is not that far west. It is east of Tuscaloosa. If Auburn jumps over to the East with Mizzo in the West, then the map makes perfect sense (not that I think that is very important).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #5730
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Why not send Alabama and Auburn east and Mizzou and aTm go west?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #5731
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nashville is not that far west. It is east of Tuscaloosa. If Auburn jumps over to the East with Mizzo in the West, then the map makes perfect sense (not that I think that is very important).

The hangup right now is that Alabama wants to keep their yearly game with Tennessee and that wouldn't happen if Mizzou goes into the West division. The one that Blade is showing is the one preferred at this point.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #5732
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Why not send Alabama and Auburn east and Mizzou and aTm go west?

We discussed that yesterday. Leaves an unbalanced conference. That only becomes feasible if the SEC goes to 16, not 14.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #5733
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I was on the Acela coming back from DC, and as I was getting ready to get off the train in NYC, I ran into ND bball coach Mike Brey, up here on a recruiting trip. We shot the shit for a few minutes and he told me he's worried about where they (as a basketball program) fall, and one thing he's sure about is that ND will never join a football conference.

That's my legitimate, first-hand contribution to the thread.
So that eliminates who, exactly? The SEC?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #5734
Ksyrup

Yeah, I think the ACC would be OK with a partial non-conference schedule for football (say, a minimum 3 games against ACC teams or something) and parking their other sports in the ACC as full-time members.

Only the Big 10 seems to be completely against that. Probably SEC too, although I've never really heard them linked with the SEC.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #5735
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So that eliminates who, exactly? The SEC?

Mizzou

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-07-2011 at 10:59 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5736
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ND just got a cherry hockey conference deal with Hockey East. Less conference games and they get to air their games on NBC and Versus. Taking that is a good indication they are not joining the Big Ten any time soon because they'd have to give it up to join the Big Ten hockey conference.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #5737
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
ND just got a cherry hockey conference deal with Hockey East. Less conference games and they get to air their games on NBC and Versus. Taking that is a good indication they are not joining the Big Ten any time soon because they'd have to give it up to join the Big Ten hockey conference.

A good thing about the ACC is we could give two flips about Hockey.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #5738
Ksyrup

They can beat up on FSU's hockey team all they want.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #5739
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pat Jones (former OSU football coach) reporting on his radio show that Mizzou and SEC have reached full agreement on all terms.

97.1 The Sports Animal
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #5740
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Guy on the Dawgman boards that is very well connected (good friends with Dan Beebe among others) is claiming he's heard that BYU lost their chance at the Big-"12" when they wavered, and that the conference has moved on to other targets.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #5741
Ksyrup

That's what MacroGuru said he was reading a couple of days ago, I believe.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #5742
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Guy on the Dawgman boards that is very well connected (good friends with Dan Beebe among others) is claiming he's heard that BYU lost their chance at the Big-"12" when they wavered, and that the conference has moved on to other targets.

More information is coming out and it appears Sunday play was actually a major issue in everything.....Big12 wasn't willing to concede on it and BYU would never ever concede on it.

Who knows though...I will look at it this way...if ND joins a conference and we are out, it will signal the end of BYU Football and athletics as you know it...if ND stays indy, BYU will stay and enjoy their ride, good or bad...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #5743
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Notre Dame:

Press reports state that Pittsburgh and Notre Dame are angling for the Big 10 to give them an invite:

The Telegraph-Herald - Google News Archive Search

Ok, back in 1939.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-07-2011 at 04:18 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #5744
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It was mentioned before. OU/OSU will likely take the opportunity to look at other conferences if Mizzou leaves for the SEC......

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...1_IISUIl246513
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #5745
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The University of Chicago is leaving the Big 10? Good heavens!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #5746
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Local KC radio reporting......

Quote:
West Virginia president "wearing out Kansas State president begging to get in Big 12"
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #5747
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Big Ten done for now.
Big Ten expansion not on radar, commissioner Jim Delany says - ESPN

Big East looking to add.
Big East leaders discuss conference expansion, according to report - ESPN

I think the only way the Big East survives is by grabbing from the lesser conferences. I don't think teams from a major conference want in on a sinking ship.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #5748
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Local KC radio reporting......

That came from a Brett McMurphy tweet. He is usually pretty decent, but he has his nose up the Big East basketball programs' behinds. I'd take anything that he says about the football schools with a grain of salt.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #5749
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Mizzou doing their best to play their way out of an invite to any conference. I guess its good that they are probably more after our tv coverage than our football program. K-State will probably end up being an 8 or 9 win team but Mizzou looks like they have no heart at all.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #5750
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Mizzou doing their best to play their way out of an invite to any conference. I guess its good that they are probably more after our tv coverage than our football program. K-State will probably end up being an 8 or 9 win team but Mizzou looks like they have no heart at all.

In case you haven't noticed, on field results are at the bottom of the list of what is important in expansion candidates.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote