Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #5701
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Lot of security and infrastructure is done on a federal level. In fact, I believe the entire security bill is footed by the federal government.

No use discussing Vancouver, they lost $1 billion. It's been confirmed by Glenn Beck.

1. At least bother to cite that you pulled your information directly off the WhiteHouse.gov website.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Reali...ment-of-Shame/

2. I continue to be baffled by the administration's need to formally address right-wing personalities like Limbaugh and Beck in a formal manner on the official WhiteHouse.gov website. They may think they're somehow combatting these guys and their rhetoric, but all they are really doing is giving these guys a larger audience and more credibility in the eyes of their supporters. If you stop paying attention to the idiot with his pants down on the playground, eventually he'll pull his pants up and look for a new way to attract attention that may not be nearly as effective as the current method of gaining attention.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #5702
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
1. At least bother to cite that you pulled your information directly off the WhiteHouse.gov website.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Reali...ment-of-Shame/

2. I continue to be baffled by the administration's need to formally address right-wing personalities like Limbaugh and Beck in a formal manner on the official WhiteHouse.gov website. They may think they're somehow combatting these guys and their rhetoric, but all they are really doing is giving these guys a larger audience and more credibility in the eyes of their supporters. If you stop paying attention to the idiot with his pants down on the playground, eventually he'll pull his pants up and look for a new way to attract attention that may not be nearly as effective as the current method of gaining attention.

That only works if the rest of the world will also ignore him. When newspapers run stories on the latest outrage and are adding staff to monitor right wing outlets so they won't miss the next "big story" you have to be more aggressive.

The WH largely ignored the outrage about the school speech and it got covered by every major media outlet.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #5703
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The WH largely ignored the outrage about the school speech and it got covered by every major media outlet.

What's your point? Should the administration react to all this stuff? They're going to spend a whole lot of time being defensive and not getting much accomplished if that's the tactic they're going to use. It's not smart at all.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #5704
molson
General Manager

I thought it was well known that Olympics are a huge money drain?

The only way they're beneficial, from an economic standpoint, is if they raise the international prestige of a place to a level where you get more tourism for decades.

I think a Rio would benefit far more in that regard than Chicago.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #5705
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I thought it was well known that Olympics are a huge money drain?

The last three Olympics held in the U.S. (Los Angeles '84, Atlanta '96 and Salt Lake City '02) all finished with financial surpluses.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #5706
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The last three Olympics held in the U.S. (Los Angeles '84, Atlanta '96 and Salt Lake City '02) all finished with financial surpluses.

The Olympics themselves may have have finished under budget, but that's not a "profit" for the city, who has to spend a crapload to upgrade facilities that are never really used in the same way again.

Though, the drain should be lighter on major U.S. cities, which already has a bunch of the facilities in place, as opposed to someplace like Athens.

Last edited by molson : 10-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #5707
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Olympics themselves may have have finished under budget, but that's not a "profit" for the city, who has to spend a crapload to upgrade facilities that are never really used in the same way again.

Though, the drain should be lighter on major U.S. cities, which already has a bunch of the facilities in place, as opposed to someplace like Athens.

According to this article, the City of Atlanta spent about $6 million. The facility upgrades (Turner Field, Olympic Village, Centennial Park, etc.) were all paid by the Olympic committee.

Financial legacy of the Olympics in Atlanta is hard to detect | StandardNET – Ogden, Layton, Brigham, Weber, Davis, Top of Utah News

And the 1984 Olympics were the first ones to turn the fund raising into a private endeavor, and not have a repeat of the Montreal public financing disaster.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #5708
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's your point? Should the administration react to all this stuff? They're going to spend a whole lot of time being defensive and not getting much accomplished if that's the tactic they're going to use. It's not smart at all.

A staffer typing on a blog isn't that much of a distraction. It's not like Obama is going to spend all day surfing The Corner and Red State.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #5709
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
A staffer typing on a blog isn't that much of a distraction. It's not like Obama is going to spend all day surfing The Corner and Red State.

So no one except that blogger took the time to address the issue? You're giving far too much credit to that staffer.

And if you don't think there's a good size staff in the administration constantly monitoring all news sources including partisan blogs, we've got little to discuss. There was a staff to do that in the Bush adminstration and there's most certainly a bigger staff to do that in the internet-aware Obama administration.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-02-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5710
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

On the other hand the Bush administration certainly had a bigger staff working on ways to justify torture, so maybe we should call it a wash.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #5711
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
On the other hand the Bush administration certainly had a bigger staff working on ways to justify torture, so maybe we should call it a wash.

No, each instance should be judged individually. Any comparisons is a partisan waste of time. Either Bush did something wrong or right. Either Obama did something wrong or right. The two situations have no relational bearing on each other.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #5712
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
No, each instance should be judged individually. Any comparisons is a partisan waste of time. Either Bush did something wrong or right. Either Obama did something wrong or right. The two situations have no relational bearing on each other.

Quote:
There was a staff to do that in the Bush adminstration and there's most certainly a bigger staff to do that in the internet-aware Obama administration.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #5713
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #5714
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

What? JPhillips acted like he had no idea that a president had a news-monitoring staff for the Internet. I pointed out that both Bush and Obama have had staffs for that reason since they both were President during the explosion of widely-used internet service. That's much different than the implication that the over-defensiveness of the current administration to partisan news reports is a wash because the previous president tried to cover up torture.

That's comparing apples to astronauts.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #5715
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I found the juxtaposition of your two statements amusing, nothing more.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #5716
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So they have a staff already committed to doing this, but doing this will prevent Obama from accomplishing anything.

It's not that I don't know there are people in the press shop, it's that I don't think making a daily blog refuting lies is going to keep Obama from governing. You seem to think this is an extreme waste of resources and I just don't see that.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #5717
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The goal has been to tie Republicans to those guys. They have huge disapproval numbers and if people can coincide Republican with Rush Limbaugh, it's a good thing.

I don't think he's giving them new supporters and I don't think he's losing any potential votes over it. People who like Rush and Beck are not going to vote for Obama ever.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #5718
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If Obama can't even deliever the Olympics how can he deliever health care!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #5719
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, seems like an odd name. It's a content delivery system from Amazon though.

Ah got it, thanks.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #5720
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
If Obama can't even deliever the Olympics how can he deliever health care!

You've got it all wrong........

Congressman blames Bush for Chicago's Olympics defeat - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #5721
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL! What else can we blame Bush for?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #5722
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

What can't we blame bush for?

You guys had quite a run with Clinton, but it ain't gonna be nothing compared the run I'm going to have blaming everything on Bush.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #5723
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not going to pretend to know all the answers, but it's very concerning to see the military commander and the current administration having such great difficulties communicating with each other. I can't imagine how this kind of relationship can be anything other than counter-productive.

Barack Obama angry at General Stanley McChrystal speech on Afghanistan - Telegraph
Old 10-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #5724
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not going to pretend to know all the answers, but it's very concerning to see the military commander and the current administration having such great difficulties communicating with each other. I can't imagine how this kind of relationship can be anything other than counter-productive.

Barack Obama angry at General Stanley McChrystal speech on Afghanistan - Telegraph

i agree. maybe McChrystal should remember who the Commander in Chief is, and not publicly lobby for more troops, but instead use the chain of command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article

An adviser to the administration said: "People aren't sure whether McChrystal is being naïve or an upstart. To my mind he doesn't seem ready for this Washington hard-ball and is just speaking his mind too plainly."

Some commentators regarded the general's London comments as verging on insubordination.

Bruce Ackerman, an expert on constitutional law at Yale University, said in the Washington Post: "As commanding general, McChrystal has no business making such public pronouncements."

He added that it was highly unusual for a senior military officer to "pressure the president in public to adopt his strategy".
Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #5725
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
maybe McChrystal should remember who the Commander in Chief is, and not publicly lobby for more troops, but instead use the chain of command.

Yep, McChrystal has at least two levels of command between himself and the administration.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #5726
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
i agree. maybe McChrystal should remember who the Commander in Chief is, and not publicly lobby for more troops, but instead use the chain of command.

Well, unlike your take on it, I believe both sides to be at fault. McChrystal needs to keep it in-house and Obama needs to do a much better job communicating with the military leaders more directly and on a more regular basis. The military and liberals may be like oil and water, but they've got to find a way to work better with each other for the sake of the general good.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #5727
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Well, unlike your take on it, I believe both sides to be at fault. McChrystal needs to keep it in-house and Obama needs to do a much better job communicating with the military leaders more directly and on a more regular basis. The military and liberals may be like oil and water, but they've got to find a way to work better with each other for the sake of the general good.

I don't know why you believe the military and "liberals" are like oil and water, or what information you have that states clearly with backup that the administration is not communicating with the military.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #5728
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like this notion that Democrats can't get along with the military. That because they choose not to get us into unnecessary wars they're anti-military.

If this was a commander doing the same shit under Bush, you guys would want him tried for treason this afternoon.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #5729
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I like this notion that Democrats can't get along with the military. That because they choose not to get us into unnecessary wars they're anti-military.

Save for that South Asian adventure.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #5730
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I don't know why you believe the military and "liberals" are like oil and water, or what information you have that states clearly with backup that the administration is not communicating with the military.

There's been an adversarial relationship there for years. This certainly isn't a secret by any means.

I'd also love you to show me where I put the communication blame solely on the administration. I haven't excused McChrystal's behavior in any way. He was out of line for what he did. I have little doubt that he was put in timeout for his comments.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #5731
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
There's been an adversarial relationship there for years. This certainly isn't a secret by any means.

I'd also love you to show me where I put the communication blame solely on the administration. I haven't excused McChrystal's behavior in any way. He was out of line for what he did. I have little doubt that he was put in timeout for his comments.

Why would the administration get any blame for this? It wasn't the direct reports to Obama and Gates speaking out of turn. If anything, it shows a problem between McChrystal and his commanding officer(s).
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #5732
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Quote:

I bolded your statement since you can never seem to remember what you wrote 5 minutes ago. What do you have that shows Obama does not communicate with military leaders more directly and on a more regular basis?

Your comment about the military and "liberals" is nearly as ignorant as most of your statements, but we'll chalk it up to hyperbole.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #5733
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is always stress between the military and any party who doesn't want war.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #5734
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There is always stress between the military and any party who doesn't want war.

And which party would that be?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #5735
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
And which party would that be?
Depends on time in history. Each party has been against military actions at some point in history.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #5736
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm still angry that FDR didn't regularly meet with Patton.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #5737
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
I'm still angry that FDR didn't regularly meet with Patton.

Well, at least you've gotten over the Republicans causing us to miss out on hosting the 1940 Olympics.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #5738
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Why would the administration get any blame for this?

Because MBBF said so. No facts, nothing, just he wills it to be...like The Secret.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #5739
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
How ironic that because the democrats in the Massachusetts state senate wanted to prevent our Republican governor from appointing a Republican to fill John Kerry's seat if he won the Presidency and thus changed our rules for filling vacant seats to require a 150-day waiting period (which they are now trying to get changed), that now the Late Senator Kennedy's seat will sit vacant for 5 months during this fierce healthcare debate, and this adds to the difficulty in getting this legislation on a cause that was so near-and-dear to him passed.

Was just hearing more about this while I was up in Massachusetts visiting for the weekend. Went digging up the stories and had completely missed most of this. The State Legislature did change the law back, Patrick appointed Kirk, and the Republicans sued to block the appointment. Any more on this? I'm just trying to get caught up.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #5740
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Was just hearing more about this while I was up in Massachusetts visiting for the weekend. Went digging up the stories and had completely missed most of this. The State Legislature did change the law back, Patrick appointed Kirk, and the Republicans sued to block the appointment. Any more on this? I'm just trying to get caught up.

Republicans' case dismissed, Kirk sworn in, hypocrisy wins out.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #5741
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it went through. the Mass Republican lawsuit was thrown out.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #5742
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We seriously need a strong third party in this country...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #5743
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
it went through. the Mass Republican lawsuit was thrown out.

i think this was pretty ridiculous.

the "right" thing to do would have been to pass a law in the first place (way back under Romney) saying that the sitting governor has to appoint someone from the same party as the person vacating the seat and that that person has to be approved of by a vote of that party's representatives in the massachusetts state house or something (to avoid the governor appointing someone who was a RINO or DINO). And specifying that that process must be completed in X number of days.

But wait, that's too logical. It'd never work.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #5744
Flasch186
Coordinator

disappointed.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #5745
Flasch186
Coordinator

Just in case someone forgets to post this new poll on just one site today here it is:

AP Poll: Health care overhaul has a pulse - Yahoo! News

Quote:
The public is split 40-40 on supporting or opposing the health care legislation, the poll found. An even split is welcome news for Democrats, a sharp improvement from September, when 49 percent of Americans said they opposed the congressional proposals and just 34 percent supported them.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #5746
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We seriously need a strong third party in this country...

No, we seriously need somebody to represent the voice of the center-right. We've got Far Right and Left. Both equally rediculous.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #5747
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
No, we seriously need somebody to represent the voice of the center-right. We've got Far Right and Left. Both equally rediculous.

how bout just the center? or the center-left?

why just the center-right?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #5748
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
how bout just the center? or the center-left?

why just the center-right?

Anything left of center-right is actually just far-left.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #5749
Flasch186
Coordinator

ding ding ding

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #5750
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I welcome a strong third party because it would certainly make a mockery of the idiotic electoral college when people start carrying entire states with 35% of the vote.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote