Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #5551
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

Now, mind, I do think at the time it was released that the visual effects and the story about Hal were new and interesting things. It just hasn't aged well, IMO.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #5552
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And yet... I think 2001 is the most overrated film of all time .

That might settle it then, we probably just have very different tastes in film.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #5553
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think the whole section with Hal is fantastic. The rest is trippy sci fi which does not have the same impact on me now as it did when I first saw it about a decade ago.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #5554
Groundhog
Coordinator

Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier - 9.95/10

Yeah, OK, so it's not Seven Samurai or whatever, but damn, that's how you make a superhero movie. I knew the "twist" but still thought this was outstanding.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #5555
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dallas Buyers Club - 8.5/10

Head and shoulders above 12 Years and Wolf. Great acting/pace/development. It kept my attention throughout. Certainly worth the watch.

Wolf of Wall Street - 5/10

Meh. I love the combination of Leo and Martin, but in the end, I just felt meh about it. This sums it up pretty good.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #5556
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Hobbit 1 - 5/10 - I've rated this before but just providing context to the sequel
Hobbit 2 - 6.5/10 - A better movie than Hobbit 1 but at least an hour too long
Frozen - 8/10 - Bit too much singing and dancing but a delightful movie; can see why it was so popular
Thor 2 - 7/10 - I gave Thor 1 a 9 or 9.5 but this one, instead of awesome settings we get ugly, drab London and an ugly dark world planet
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #5557
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't seen The Hobbit 2, but "at least an hour too long" sums up all the LotR/Hobbit movies for me with the possible exception of LotR 2, especially in hindsight. I haven't been able to make it through any of those movies a 2nd time since the cinema.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #5558
Pyser
Pro Rookie

y'all are crazy. anything that has taken place in middle earth has been an hour too short. each and every damn one.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #5559
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Snitch 7/10. Ludicrous and preposterous but this delivers on premium cable. Like most the Rock movies I would never pay theater price for it. Rock does awesome things to free his fuck up kid who got screwed over by mandatory minimums and our messed up drug sentencing stuff. But all that never really matters. If you like this, also check out Faster which is similarly dumb and awesome at the same time.

Last edited by stevew : 05-07-2014 at 01:14 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #5560
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Her - 9.5/10: Fantastic, fantastic movie! It was basically a happier version of a Phillip K. Dick story - I loved the blending of what is real feeling and a real relationship. Joaquin Phoenix was utterly amazing and so was Scarlett Johansson even though it was just her voice. It was just an utterly thoughprovoking and fascinating view as to what is reality. Also what a realistic potential near future, where everyone is on their phone and chatting with the virtual assistant than the people around them. Brilliant.

Really provocative. I feel it could merit its own thread here...challenging ideas in there.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #5561
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Frozen - 5/10: I just don't get the love (and neither did my girlfriend, who loves 'for kids' movies). The songs were forgettable (aside from "Let it Go"), the characters annoying, especially Jar Jar Olaf, the story cheesy, and the villain forgettable. Meh, all around. I'm just glad I saw it on RedBox rather than in the theater.

Quote:
Frozen - 6.5/10: It was good, and good in that old Disney way. I don't know how better to explain it. It was a little girly for the larger Disney audience, but the animations were excellent. I'm don't think it deserved the "OMG THIS MOVIE WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!" praise that I've heard in some reviews but it kept my attention throughout and had some funny moments.

I think it's a return to form for Disney. The songs were good actually. I loved Olaf, frankly, it's what kept me in the movie.

I think this movie changed the dynamic of the damsel in distress. It wasn't about boy meets girl, calamity, boy saves girl. This one was about family and being true to who you are (as corny as that sounds). The twist on the prince was a nice bit of work too though I think it was a pretty dramatic shift - who'd have thought someone would be kind of American Psycho for a character?

I'd prefer watching this over some of the early Princess movies. There were some good funny bits. I also think for most movies, it felt quick. It passed the will my son watch it test (also passed WALL-E...oddly for a child who loves cars, he does not like Cars).

My last thought was this was a movie about sisters and that relationship, which I don't think had been done much before.

Probably why my wife loves it, my son loves Olaf.

I'd give it an 8.5 out of ten.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #5562
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Life Aquatic gets the Criterion treatment on Blu-Ray, comes out 27 May. I have already pre-ordered.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #5563
Pyser
Pro Rookie

iron man 3 - 6/10

um, what? lets just focus on the big battle here. we've shown these glowing red bad guys to be pretty much indestructible. so in the big battle, there are a bunch of them, fighting empty iron man suits. guy pearce finally gets taken down (by the EXACT same thing we've seen these bad guys survive literally 10 times already)...and all the other glowing red people...well, we just have no idea what happened to them. a whole bunch of proven to be indestructible people...vanish. killed somehow, i guess.

sloppy.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #5564
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Life Aquatic gets the Criterion treatment on Blu-Ray, comes out 27 May. I have already pre-ordered.

We might be the only two people on earth who adore this movie
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #5565
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I love that movie too.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #5566
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
iron man 3 - 6/10

um, what? lets just focus on the big battle here. we've shown these glowing red bad guys to be pretty much indestructible. so in the big battle, there are a bunch of them, fighting empty iron man suits. guy pearce finally gets taken down (by the EXACT same thing we've seen these bad guys survive literally 10 times already)...and all the other glowing red people...well, we just have no idea what happened to them. a whole bunch of proven to be indestructible people...vanish. killed somehow, i guess.

sloppy.

A super hero movie being sloppy!!!!!!!

Shocking!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #5567
Groundhog
Coordinator

Iron Man 1 was great, but the franchise jumped off a cliff after that.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #5568
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That is coincidental, for I re-watched Iron Man 3 last night. I thought, like I attempted with Hobbit 1, that I might like it a bit better the second time. Hobbit 1 I didn't (still 5/10) but not sure about Iron Man 3 (which I gave 5/10). I never heard of Iron Man prior to the first movie and I had never heard of Mandarin, so a comparison to comics never had an impact. However, I really, really liked the Mandarin villain in the first half of the movie and wondered how good of an enemy he could be. It wasn't so much that he wasn't who he was (good acting both ways, imo) but they replaced him with a villain that was nothing. The whole second half of the movie felt worthless and unwatchable, esp. the awful ship battle. So what was Killian's impetus for wanting to control the world? That he was stood up and contemplated suicide?!? 4/10
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #5569
sabotai
General Manager

<---- Life Aquatic fan
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #5570
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
A super hero movie being sloppy!!!!!!!

Shocking!

sorry for expecting a little more from a $200-million movie that hired essentially a superstar action writer.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #5571
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You mean the guy that wrote Last Action Hero .
Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #5572
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

yeah, that guy
Old 05-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #5573
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Saw the premier of the Godzilla reboot last night and had a blast. Not only the best monster movie in recent memory, but the crowd was really into it making for a fun experience. Lots of clapping during beat-downs, etc. Highly recommend it!!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #5574
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I really like Shane Black as a writer. "Lethal Weapon" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" are excellent movies. I really like "Long Kiss Good Night" as well and didn't really mind "The Last Boy Scout", as ridiculous as it was at times.

I enjoyed "Iron Man 3" well enough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #5575
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Saw the premier of the Godzilla reboot last night and had a blast. Not only the best monster movie in recent memory, but the crowd was really into it making for a fun experience. Lots of clapping during beat-downs, etc. Highly recommend it!!

Seeing it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Last edited by Kodos : 05-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #5576
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Godzilla. Wow. Loved it. Even the wife loved it.

The crowd was alive too. It was just a great monster movie.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #5577
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The hype around it built it up a little too much, the Captain America 2 was rather enjoyable.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #5578
Grover
Pro Starter

Godzilla 10/10.

Saw it for the "midnight" 7:15 showing on Thursday. Very energetic crowd with cheering and whatnot. Fantastic atmosphere, even better film.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #5579
revrew
Team Chaplain

Godzilla - 6/10

No doubt this is a movie that ends well, leaves you feeling good and is a good giant monster movie. I said to my daughter, "This is the movie 'Pacific Rim' wanted to be, but wasn't."

But in more critical hindsight, the first half of the movie was boring. Storyline was cookie-cutter action movie, predictable, uninteresting, characters are prototypical, and the writing isn't even remotely creative. I don't really care or even remember the names of the human characters. Bland, dull and cliche.

But then Godzilla shows up. And holy cow, does he show up. Takes it to a whole 'nother level. Forget the stupid humans, this monster rocks. Once the action starts, "Godzilla" steps it up several notches. Definitely a fun, enjoyable movie to walk out of, but my rating reflects I'm not going to so quickly forgive it for mailing it in until the monster appears.

Still recommend it, but let's temper the expectations a bit for those who haven't seen it yet.

P.S. - Excellent job by those who made the trailers to leave plenty of surprises for the movie itself. I thought I knew what this movie was about ... and nope! They threw in some twists I was NOT expecting.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #5580
korme
Go Reds

Thank you for that review, rev. I've been starting to get worried about the over-hype.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #5581
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It does seem like waiting an hour will be on the long side.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #5582
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Outside of the outlier that is Pacific Rim, I find it interesting that that graph is generally trending up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #5583
chadritt
High School Varsity

It also makes me wonder something: do they mean show the ENTIRE creature or just part of it? I would assume that its just too expensive to show the entire creature early now that theyre almost entirely CGI because you cant put it away after that but teasing bits of the creature early can work really well.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #5584
Johnny93g
College Starter

I figured I'd chime in, as I went to see Godzilla last night.

4/10 is probably what it was. Maybe I'm getting old, but it was just to damn loud, but I won't let that effect my opinion of the movie.

1 character was developed. 1. It showed they knew they could do it, just didn't bother with anyone else. His role was the best part of the movie.

It must have been a very easy pay cheque for Johnson and Watanabe(sp?), as all they did was look around.

Didn't care who would live or die, found the story interesting, but way to cliche. Once it was evident on the direction of the story, everything was obvious.

For comparisons sake, I enjoyed the 3 hour King Kong with Jack Black more then this one
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #5585
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought King Kong was pretty much crap.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #5586
revrew
Team Chaplain

Million-Dollar Arm: 5/10

Nothing really wrong with this movie, except that they gave too much away in the trailers and used all the good music there, while saving nothing for the film itself.

Pretty much as expected, a feel-good sports movie with a bit of a romance and some funny lines thrown in, wrapped up with a neat bow by Disney. My wife and I enjoyed it well enough for a date night, but not really memorable or remarkable.

Those with an affinity for India may enjoy it more, however, as it did a nice job of spotlighting the country and culture - a big chunk of the film was overseas.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #5587
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
This isn't about a movie I recently watched, but why the HECK did they feel a need to make Expendables 2? I saw the first one and it was terrible. I mean, even the action was mediocre at best. Did it really have that great of a reception?

/tk

Expendables III

Saw the preview last night with Godzilla.

The cast seems LEGENDARY!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #5588
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pain And Gain 7/10 It's on netflix now, and I'm a pretty big fan of the true crime genre. Pretty entertaining though it's kind of shitty that you spend the whole time with dudes that were, in retrospect, pretty shitty human beings.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #5589
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Expendables 2 was necessary because it had Chuck Norris making a Chuck Norris joke.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #5590
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

XMen!!!!!

Gonna watch the Philippine premier tonight. Should be awesome.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #5591
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Expendables III

Saw the preview last night with Godzilla.

The cast seems LEGENDARY!

When I saw Harrison Ford, I was thinking: Harrison, you're better than this!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #5592
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I thought King Kong was pretty much crap.

I thought King Kong was very bloated, but decent. It would have been a far better movie if it ran two hours rather than 3.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #5593
Butter
Coordinator

Watched the slasher flick from last year, YOU'RE NEXT... was pleasantly surprised. Found it well above average for the genre and really enjoyed all aspects of it. I am somewhat partial to horror films, but tend to avoid the remakes and blatant teen cash-ins that it can fall into sometimes. This one had a lot of dark humor that wasn't blatantly obvious, and I thought did enough to stand out from an occasionally tired genre.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #5594
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
XMen!!!!!

Gonna watch the Philippine premier tonight. Should be awesome.

Bryan Singer does a great job of tying all the X movies together on this one. He's back at the helm, and he made a good movie.

Stick around for the after credits scene.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #5595
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pitch Perfect 7/10

I'm probably in love with Anna Kendrick. Anyways this is a standard competition movie and I'm guessing it's basically a longer form episode of Glee. I guess I just like Cups and it makes me happy. Also Anna Camp is total camp and I like Rebel Wilson. Prediction that you'll like it even if you get stuck watching it.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #5596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Bryan Singer does a great job of tying all the X movies together on this one. He's back at the helm, and he made a good movie.

Stick around for the after credits scene.

He's great at getting the most out of the cast of teenage men?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #5597
stevew
Hall Of Famer

GI Joe:Retaliation 6.5/10

Felt more like a GI Joe movie should feel like. Much better than the first movie. Some of the action sequences were really inventive. The cliff repelling wire stuff was crazy. I like the Rock a lot note than most and I'm a big fan of Adrianne Palicki(sp) and that Red Dress. Stakes were way too high IMO. Needed more Cobra Commander. I kind of thought the run of the mill Cobra satellite crew was a hard sell that they'd be game to murder millions of people. Ultimately it didn't know whether it was a superhero comic book movie or some sort of Schwarzenegger type terrorist action flick. Being stuck in the middle is not a good thing.

Last edited by stevew : 05-21-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #5598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I thought King Kong was very bloated, but decent. It would have been a far better movie if it ran two hours rather than 3.

This was my feeling. It was a movie I liked despite being at least 30 minutes too long and would have loved if it were the right running time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #5599
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He's great at getting the most out of the cast of teenage men?

McAvoy, Fassbender and Jackman dominate the screentime, as they should.

Singer will also be helming the sequel, Age of Apocalypse, and sets things up nicely by tying all the previous films together while also looking towards the future.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #5600
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watched "Blackfish" on Netflix this weekend. Horrifying to see how these animals are treated in captivity (and the danger their trainers face). Sea World should be ashamed of themselves. As always, the almighty dollar trumps basic decency and respect for life (human and animal).

Last edited by Kodos : 05-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote