Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #5551
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, they're still an above average D1 program. Better than Texas Tech and Oklahoma. I don't see why they couldn't have competed with Iowa State, OK State, and Baylor last year. Won't finish near the top or anything, but won't be embarrasing themselves either.

And BYU would have been the 3rd best team in that conference last year.

I take it you are judging based only last year's stats? OU was in the elite eight 2-3 years ago and routinely makes the tournament. The 1988 team blows away Boise's entire history.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #5552
kcchief19
Pro Starter

@GabeDeArmond: For those into stalking flights, a plane went from Columbia to Birmingham (SEC HQ), stayed for 4 1/2 hrs, and returned yesterday.

Having lived in Columbia, I cam tell you there is no other reason anyone would fly out of the Columbia airport to Birmingham. I will guarantee the last flight from Columbia to Birmingham was to bring Mike Anderson to Como.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #5553
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Can't they also track who the plane is owned by?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #5554
gstelmack
Pro Starter

TMQ had an interesting point about corporations pushing to make their flight plans private to prevent shareholders from finding out how these private jets justified for "security" reasons are really being used (vacations, etc). Wonder if conference presidents have also joined that bandwagon.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5555
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
@GabeDeArmond: For those into stalking flights, a plane went from Columbia to Birmingham (SEC HQ), stayed for 4 1/2 hrs, and returned yesterday.

Having lived in Columbia, I cam tell you there is no other reason anyone would fly out of the Columbia airport to Birmingham. I will guarantee the last flight from Columbia to Birmingham was to bring Mike Anderson to Como.

Followed by...

@sptwri: Sources tell The KC Star Mizzou Board of Curators looking to probable Tuesday meeting
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #5556
Ksyrup

SYRACUSE, NY—In a hastily delivered statement from the passenger side of the young woman’s lime-green Hyundai Tiburon, Syracuse University announced Sunday it was leaving the Big East, the conference it helped create more than 30 years ago, for a 23-year-old exotic dancer and vodka brand ambassador named “Misti.” “We’ve had a nice run with the Big East, but we think Misti has more to offer us,” said Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross, crediting the woman for bringing a “renewed sense of purpose” to the 141-year-old research institution. “We have had some good times—great times, actually, really great—with the Big East, and we hope we can continue to maintain a friendly relationship, but we think it’s time for us to pursue other options.” Gross quickly added that the young woman is “really smart” and wants to go to school to become a dental hygienist, which is perfect, because they are a school.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #5557
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
TMQ had an interesting point about corporations pushing to make their flight plans private to prevent shareholders from finding out how these private jets justified for "security" reasons are really being used (vacations, etc). Wonder if conference presidents have also joined that bandwagon.
If those assholes want their fancy jets to be subsidized via tax cuts, fuck their privacy.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #5558
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I might just having a curmudgeon moment here, but I hope that if Boise joins a BCS conference they make them get rid of that god-damn awful gimmicky blue turf.

It was cool for a while, and it got you noticed, but trying to watch players in blue run around on the same shade of blue turf for a whole game gets old real quick. And god help me if Eastern Washington ever plays a team I'm interested in because I think I'm going to have a seizure.

Bah, grumble, humbug.

Yeah, they're gonna do that because it hasn't worked for them.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5559
RedKingGold
College Starter

MBBF, where art thou? I miss your three updates per day in this thread.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #5560
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
MBBF, where art thou? I miss your three updates per day in this thread.

Disney, until tomorrow night.

Fwiw Mizzou should start the process of leaving on Tuesday as mentioned. And the post about Boise St. being an upgrade was awesome for all the wrong reasons.

It takes a lot for me to say this, but I feel sorry for the beakers that they're stuck in the B12 for now. Not even they deserve that punishment.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #5561
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Chuck Neinas confident Missouri Tigers will stay in Big 12 - ESPN
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #5562
timmynausea
College Starter

So here's the rumor of the day:

Quote:
Report: BYU, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia to join Big 12

BearcatLair.com reports “there are still a lot of details to be worked out as it relates to divisional breakouts, when new league would start play, etc.,” but the Big 12 appears to be moving toward 14 teams. The report says BYU, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati and West Virginia would join current Big 12 members.

Report: BYU, TCU, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia to join Big 12 « Football Rumor Mill
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #5563
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sounds like the BYU part of that equation is close to happening (or has happened).

Makes sense for BYU. They are never going to get into the Pac XX, so this is really their only shot to ever get into a BCS conference. If it doesn't work out, they can always go back to the independent route.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #5564
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

i'm all for it since it means the complete destruction of the Big East (at least for football)but i doubt that
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #5565
timmynausea
College Starter

And now Tennessee's AD is saying that the SEC will expand beyond 13 and the discussions among SEC presidents and ADs will begin "in short order".

Tennessee AD Dave Hart says SEC will continue to expand beyond 13 teams - ESPN
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #5566
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

did anyone really think the SEC was stopping at 13?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #5567
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good to see Dodds found a new commissioner that plays PR puppet as well as the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

This isn't even remotely close to happening yet. This is being leaked to try to get Mizzou to hold off on their move. It's not likely to help in that regard. Not only that, but there's a very good chance that OU/OSU starts shopping around for a new home if Mizzou leaves. The academic standing of the conference goes down quite a bit if MU is gone and those schools are added. That's a big problem from OU's perspective.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #5568
General Mike
Pro Starter

Conference USA, here we come

Razor blade meet wrists
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #5569
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

Razor blade meet wrists

Nah, I think they'll find a landing spot. I truly believe that. If the SEC goes to 14, the B1G might still throw TSUNJ a life preserver. No way they've invested all of that money in athletics -- even languishing as they are now -- specifically football, to get kicked to the curb. Maybe before the Schiano era, but not now. I have faith they'll figure it out. The B1G still seems like the best fit for RU and I maintain without any shred of concrete evidence that they're going to figure this out. Mostly because RU is a top rated academic school, a state flagship, brings something in the TV department even if the impact is debatable and it gives them the only football program in the NYC metro area (no matter what Syracuse forgot about geography)

If nothing else, I believe Jersey politicians and Wall Street dollars will converge to make this worth some conference's while. Off the radar, of course. Have a little faith.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #5570
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Razor blade meet wrists

Really? They're sitting in an awfully good position. They've got multiple options if a conference meltdown occurs.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #5571
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Discussion on motivating factor for SEC expansion: a conference network.

SEC Expansion To 14 Goal: Its Own Network : Outkick The Coverage
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #5572
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really? They're sitting in an awfully good position. They've got multiple options if a conference meltdown occurs.

Such as?

I thought they had a good shot at getting a spot if 16 team super conferences were the answer, but right now they need a lot of help. The Big Ten and ACC aren't doing anything until Notre Dame makes a move, the Big Ten might never make a move if ND went to the ACC. Our best hope right now is that the SEC's 14th team comes from the SEC and the ACC holds more of a grudge against UConn than us.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #5573
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Such as?

I thought they had a good shot at getting a spot if 16 team super conferences were the answer, but right now they need a lot of help. The Big Ten and ACC aren't doing anything until Notre Dame makes a move, the Big Ten might never make a move if ND went to the ACC. Our best hope right now is that the SEC's 14th team comes from the SEC and the ACC holds more of a grudge against UConn than us.

We don't really know what is going to trigger further ACC or Big Ten moves, but Rutgers would be considered for both of those conferences in a 16-team option. The bidding war currently underway in the SEC renegotiation could trigger all of these conferences to reconsider a move that would cause a new TV deal in their conference.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #5574
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Not directly on point, but while fans wring their hands worrying about a bunch of conference moves engineered to make a bunch of coaches, athletic directors and media companies more money, worth reflecting on the bigger picture:

The Shame of College Sports - Magazine - The Atlantic
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #5575
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
We don't really know what is going to trigger further ACC or Big Ten moves, but Rutgers would be considered for both of those conferences in a 16-team option. The bidding war currently underway in the SEC renegotiation could trigger all of these conferences to reconsider a move that would cause a new TV deal in their conference.

That's fine, but Rutgers needs a BCS conference now. Rutgers, UConn, USF and either CUSA East or a mix of academies and temple types isn't going to cut the mustard.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #5576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Discussion of Mizzou exit options.......

Reality: There Are No Barriers To Missouri in SEC : Outkick The Coverage
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #5577
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Everything I Know About Missouri I Leasrned From MBBF:

Missouri is going to the SEC
Missouri is staying in the Big 12
Missouri has an invitation to the SEC
Missouri does not have an invitation to the SEC
Missouri has an invitation to the ACC
Missouri is not going to the ACC
Missouri is going to the Big 10
Missouri is staying in the Big 12 and is fighting to save the conference
Missouri is staying in the Big 12, but will go to the SEC eventually
Missouri has no barriers to going to the SEC, but may stay in the Big 12, depending on an invitation from the SEC

Last edited by Toddzilla : 09-30-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #5578
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola - Missouri could announce tomorrow that they're they're going to the CFL, and I think we could find 2 posts in this thread - one where MBBF claimed that was going to happen and one where he said it would not happen
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #5579
General Mike
Pro Starter

Fake John Marinatto twitter

Last edited by General Mike : 09-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #5580
General Mike
Pro Starter

<--------- dead on the vine
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #5581
tarcone
Coordinator

I read the NFL is thinking of inviting Mizzou. The CFL is an option, but Mizzou is good enough to be in the NFL. But Mizzou has plenty of options. Including the AFL. But right now, we will save the BigXII. Unless we get an invote to the NFL. Which from what my sources are saying is forthcoming. Of course the CFL is a better option then Texas could ever get. Mizzou is in much better shape then Texas. The cant even get an invite to the XFL. Mizzou on the other hand can go to the NFL, CFL or AFL. Which have all invited Mizzou. But from what Im reading we will stay in the BigXII, unless we get an invite to the NFL which is a sure thing. The CFL is may not issue an invitation. But the NFL has already sent an invitation, so the Mizzou BOR will be meeting next Tuesday to discuss ousting Dodds as the AD at Texas. Because Texas has nothing on Mizzou when we are in the CFl.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #5582
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Missouri has no barriers to going to the SEC, but may stay in the Big 12, depending on an invitation from the SEC

There are some more dealings with the Big Ten in there and the last I knew the SEC had no offer.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #5583
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The talk of Big 12 expansion that was so hot and heavy yesterday appears to have completely cooled. There is great deal of speculation here that the rumors the last couple of days about BYU, TCU, Boise St, WVU and Louisville joining were fueled by parties trying to influence Missouri to stay in the Big 12.

The current conspiracy theory is that the Big 12 will give Missouri "The Nebraska Speech" during the Sunday presidents meeting. That will be followed by the Missouri Board of Curators meeting on Tuesday, where Mizzou will either choose to stay in the Big 12 or announce they are going shopping.

If Missouri stays, it sounds more likely that the Big 12 will pursue BYU or TCU to get to 10. If Missouri leaves, they go for both. If either or both say no, next up would be a proposed merger with the Big East football schools to get to 14 or 16.

I still don't think BYU or TCU join the Big 12 alone. If the Big 12 only expands back to 10 and even if Missouri stays, the Big 12 is still not stable. They are talking about committing TV rights for six years, but right now there is no agreement to require that and nothing the Big 12 can do to force it. Will the Big 12 kick someone out if they choose not to commit their TV rights?

FWIW ... This thread from the get-go has been based on idle speculation. MBBF has simply shared all the speculation that's out there ... and regardless of what some think, there has been more speculation about Missouri than almost any other school He's not making anything up, what he posts has almost without fail originated somewhere else. He's not baiting anyone or trolling. He's just passionate about this team. The only thing ruining this thread to me is the trolling. It's getting old.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #5585
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You left out 15 moves and stays involving the Pac 27

Quote:
FWIW ... This thread from the get-go has been based on idle speculation. MBBF has simply shared all the speculation that's out there ... and regardless of what some think, there has been more speculation about Missouri than almost any other school He's not making anything up, what he posts has almost without fail originated somewhere else. He's not baiting anyone or trolling. He's just passionate about this team. The only thing ruining this thread to me is the trolling. It's getting old.

Understood, everyone is posting speculation and rumor. But only one person is telling everyone else their speculation is wrong and his is right.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #5586
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I read the NFL is thinking of inviting Mizzou. The CFL is an option, but Mizzou is good enough to be in the NFL. But Mizzou has plenty of options. Including the AFL. But right now, we will save the BigXII. Unless we get an invote to the NFL. Which from what my sources are saying is forthcoming. Of course the CFL is a better option then Texas could ever get. Mizzou is in much better shape then Texas. The cant even get an invite to the XFL. Mizzou on the other hand can go to the NFL, CFL or AFL. Which have all invited Mizzou. But from what Im reading we will stay in the BigXII, unless we get an invite to the NFL which is a sure thing. The CFL is may not issue an invitation. But the NFL has already sent an invitation, so the Mizzou BOR will be meeting next Tuesday to discuss ousting Dodds as the AD at Texas. Because Texas has nothing on Mizzou when we are in the CFl.

I heard the USFL is looking to start back up if they can land Missouri.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #5587
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
He's not making anything up, what he posts has almost without fail originated somewhere else. He's not baiting anyone or trolling. He's just passionate about this team. The only thing ruining this thread to me is the trolling. It's getting old.

Quote:
Good to see Dodds found a new commissioner that plays PR puppet as well as the last one.

Yep, no baiting or trolling from MBBF. And that's just from this page. Over 11% of the posts in this thread are from him. He has more posts in this thread than the next 2 combined. That goes way beyond just 'passionate about his team'.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #5588
bronconick
College Starter

Apparently Temple's getting an all sports invite from the Big East.

BCS bowls are salivating.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #5589
timmynausea
College Starter

Joe Schad tweet:

Quote:
R. Bowen Loftin on Mizz/SEC: "I don't think it's going to happen. I think Missouri is going to be in the Big 12 for a long time to come."
Old 10-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #5590
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Joe Schad tweet:

Haven't we learned from the A&M situation? They're now a member of the SEC. Any comment they make that Mizzou is talking with the SEC or that A&M is trying to recruit Mizzou in any way is immediately considered tampering and opens up the lawsuit avenue. He's just doing what he's supposed to do.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #5591
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Understood, everyone is posting speculation and rumor. But only one person is telling everyone else their speculation is wrong and his is right.

Quote:
Haven't we learned from the A&M situation? They're now a member of the SEC. Any comment they make that Mizzou is talking with the SEC or that A&M is trying to recruit Mizzou in any way is immediately considered tampering and opens up the lawsuit avenue. He's just doing what he's supposed to do.

Teehee.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #5592
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Teehee.

It's pretty embarrassing how bad the media has got at this point. Joe Schad should be better than that as a reporter.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #5593
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's pretty embarrassing how bad the media has got at this point. Joe Schad should be better than that as a reporter.
I think my irony meter just blew the fuck up
Old 10-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #5594
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think my irony meter just blew the fuck up

Always exciting when my opinion is scrutinized more than what should be an unbiased journalist who's job is to be responsible and correct when reporting information. I welcome the scrutiny, but have a similar 'blew the fuck up' moment when these media personnel continue to get a free pass on their lack of accuracy. Journalism such as what we've seen in this whole process would have been blasted to pieces in a political thread with good reason.

Back to the topic at hand. MU's Deaton confirms B12 meeting this afternoon and MU Board of Curators meeting on Tuesday.

Deaton confirms Big 12 talks today, MU curators Tuesday | Campus Corner
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #5595
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Tulsa paper reporting that OU/OSU were caught off-guard when Pac-XX turned them down, which runs contrary to Boren's assertions.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...00&rss_lnk=439

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-02-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #5596
MacroGuru
Coordinator

And this just in...

Quote:
Me and the boys just got together, threw some shit at the wall to see what sticks...today, its a little bit of corn, tomorrow...who knows....stay tuned!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #5597
DeToxRox
Head Coach

No idea what that means.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #5598
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Very good indications from Chip for those Mizzou fans that want to see a move to the SEC.

Quote:
A high ranking official at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com Sunday that "much progress was made" during a conference call with the Big 12 presidents and chancellors Sunday at 1:30. The primary topic was Missouri and the Tigers' future in or out of the Big 12.

The source said there was optimism that Missouri would stay in the Big 12 and that interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas would be issuing a press release discussing the progress.

But nothing will be finalized as it pertains to Missouri until MU Board of Curators meet on Tuesday. The curators are deciding if the Tigers should apply for membership to the South Eastern Conference, sources have said.

It's clear where Chip's source is. The fact that there was no agreement mentioned is a clear indication that UT continues to refuse to share third tier rights. Without some sort of give on that issue, Mizzou has little interest in staying. More clear attempts by the 'source' to indicate progress where no progress was made. If MU leaves, they can play the victim card and say they did everything they could.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #5599
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Very good indications from Chip for those Mizzou fans that want to see a move to the SEC.

Quote:
A high ranking official at a Big 12 school told Orangebloods.com Sunday that "much progress was made" during a conference call with the Big 12 presidents and chancellors Sunday at 1:30.

Quote:
The source said there was optimism that Missouri would stay in the Big 12 and that interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas would be issuing a press release discussing the progress.

Which one of these is not like the others...
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #5600
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
The fact that there was no agreement mentioned is a clear indication that UT continues to refuse to share third tier rights. Without some sort of give on that issue, Mizzou has little interest in staying. More clear attempts by the 'source' to indicate progress where no progress was made. If MU leaves, they can play the victim card and say they did everything they could.

Let me ask an honest question...what is stopping every other school in the Big 12 from creating their own network? Honestly? If that is such a pressing issue here, why not take your money, partner up and get one going?

Dave Brown of ESPN is the one that inked the contract for BYU and ESPN, he is also they one that helped Texas with LHN...

BYU has BYUtv, which yes, has had a ton of money thrown at it and it used for things other than sports, but I don't know why this is such an issue? Texas worked towards the agreement for 3rd tier, it should be theirs...if you want your own 3rd tier money, create a network.