Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2024, 06:23 AM   #501
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I would usually do this to make fun of the idea that Player X will be forever know as an NBA champion. Guys like Ish Smith and JaVale McGee being introduced as NBA champions for eternity is just hilarious.

However even though he did it with the Celtics, I gotta give a shout out to an underrated player and someone who has seemed like a really classy guy his entire career.

Al Horford, NBA Champion.
Agreed. I was thinking almost the exact same thing and came here to post it. I am very happy for him to get that ring.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 08:40 AM   #502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Monty Williams fired, it’s like the Anthony Rendon of coaching contracts.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #503
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would absolutely take the ignominy of being fired after 1 season for $65M.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:00 AM   #504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let the Williams to the Lakers rumors begin
Old 06-19-2024, 10:03 AM   #505
BYU 14
Coordinator

Gotta say, even though I am not a huge hoops fan, BYU is killing this off-season under Kevin Young. Igor Demin, who is likely a lottery pick in 2025 draft, now Kanon Catchings, most likely a first round pick in 2025 as well, related to both Tamika and Harvey Catchings.

Young is really capitalizing on his NBA ties and the pro system the Cougars will be running next season. May be the first time ever I am more excited about BYU basketball than BYU football.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:08 PM   #506
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Monty Williams fired, it’s like the Anthony Rendon of coaching contracts.

Legend at the bank!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 06:15 PM   #507
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I would absolutely take the ignominy of being fired after 1 season for $65M.

A year plus after getting a $20 million buyout to no longer be the Suns head coach.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:57 AM   #508
Edward64
Head Coach

This kid is 15 and will be playing for the Gators.

I don't know how good he is but interesting to see how teams defend against him. His dunks must be something else!

Quote:
Before Olivier Rioux plays a game for Florida men's basketball, his place in the Guinness World Record books got even stronger, extending his mark as the world's tallest teenager from 7-foot-7 two months ago to 7-FOOT-9 in present day.
Florida basketball giant Olivier Rioux extends his Guinness World Record height for a teenager to 7-FOOT-9 before Gators career begins | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-20-2024 at 04:58 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 06:40 AM   #509
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It must be dreadful to be that tall.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:50 PM   #510
rjolley
College Starter

The Bulls are trading Caruso to the Thunder for Giddey.

I'm not mad at that trade. It gets the Bulls a ball handler and someone who can run the offense. Hopefully, the shooting coach can help improve his shooting. Good gamble.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:41 PM   #511
Atocep
Coordinator

This would make OKC significantly better and Chicago a lot worse in the short term. Giddey is an interesting player, but a really difficult fit in today's NBA. I would have thought Chicago could do better, but Giddey is only 22 next season so they're betting on the upside I guess.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:52 PM   #512
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This would make OKC significantly better and Chicago a lot worse in the short term. Giddey is an interesting player, but a really difficult fit in today's NBA. I would have thought Chicago could do better, but Giddey is only 22 next season so they're betting on the upside I guess.

They could have done better but their ownership demands they compete for the play-in game each season instead of rebuilding. Report came out the other day that the Bulls turned down a top-10 pick for Caruso at the deadline.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:55 PM   #513
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

how are the high school cheerleaders in Chicago?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 09:50 PM   #514
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kenny fkn Atkinson.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:33 AM   #515
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think it is hilarious and somewhat fitting for the franchise. The Hawks finally have the number one pick, and no one really has any idea what they are going to do with it, except whatever they do will likely be wrong.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #516
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That’s Bridges trade is great for the Knicks.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #517
Danny
Head Coach

Idk, is he better than it appears from advanced statistics? He seems like a pretty mediocre starter.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #518
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's a good fit and a fun trade (with the three Villanova guys reuniting), but seems pretty steep on the draft picks. If a guy like him is worth 4+ 1st round picks, that seems like quite a shake up on the value of picks in trades.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #519
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, 5 firsts for a guy that is *maybe* a #3 (prob a #4) on a title team. And it's not like he's 23, he's 27 and has just two years left on a great deal that will probably double if you keep him at age 29.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #520
RainMaker
General Manager

There's so many restrictions on those draft picks that I can't tell if it's a good deal or not.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, 5 firsts for a guy that is *maybe* a #3 (prob a #4) on a title team. And it's not like he's 23, he's 27 and has just two years left on a great deal that will probably double if you keep him at age 29.

This.

Looks to me like the Nets absolutely got bailed out here, all that Bridges has really proven is that he is not "the guy" And 5 firsts for "not the guy" seems like the sort of thing that is more likely to end some front office careers than to win a title.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #522
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This.

Looks to me like the Nets absolutely got bailed out here, all that Bridges has really proven is that he is not "the guy" And 5 firsts for "not the guy" seems like the sort of thing that is more likely to end some front office careers than to win a title.

That's kind of how I see it, too. If he is not cornerstone enough for a team like the Nets to build around (which he isn't with him presumably fully developed at his age) and isn't a slam dunk to put your playoff team over the top, that is a lot of future to mortgage.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #523
Atocep
Coordinator

Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to spread a 2 round drafted out over 2 days?
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

nets made a trade to get a bunch of their future picks back. So maybe this time they won’t suck and give a fucking title to someone.

As far as bridges goes, he’s basically indestructible, which is good because Tibs wants guys to play into the ground. He absolutely fits the potential title window of the Knicks. I’m not sure who else they could’ve gotten with all those assets. AD would have been a dream fit but he’s not available. The Knicks enter the season with 7-8 guys to go to war with. Maybe they gave up one or two too many first round picks, but this team can absolutely win a title now.
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #525
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This.

It makes me furious the Bulls couldn't get more for Caruso if that's the asking price for a nice role player.
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #526
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
nets made a trade to get a bunch of their future picks back. So maybe this time they won’t suck and give a fucking title to someone.

As far as bridges goes, he’s basically indestructible, which is good because Tibs wants guys to play into the ground. He absolutely fits the potential title window of the Knicks. I’m not sure who else they could’ve gotten with all those assets. AD would have been a dream fit but he’s not available. The Knicks enter the season with 7-8 guys to go to war with. Maybe they gave up one or two too many first round picks, but this team can absolutely win a title now.
The Knicks are still well behind:
1. Healthy Celtics team
2. Healthy Bucks team
3. Healthy Nuggets team

They are comparable to:
1. Healthy Thunder team
2. Healthy 76ers team
3. Healthy Heat team
4. Healthy Wolves team

I think they are fighting for the 3-5 seed next year IF they resign OG and somehow keep Brunson, OG, Bridges, Hart and Donte healthy. I guess they have a chance in the East if Giannis, Embiid, Jimmy & Haliburton get hurt again. But their core isn't anything special compared to the other top 5-6 groups in the league. So giving up 5 firsts to better your third guy (when you already lost the top 2 in most matchups) seems like a risky move.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #527
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The Knicks are still well behind:
1. Healthy Celtics team
2. Healthy Bucks team
3. Healthy Nuggets team

They are comparable to:
1. Healthy Thunder team
2. Healthy 76ers team
3. Healthy Heat team
4. Healthy Wolves team

I think they are fighting for the 3-5 seed next year IF they resign OG and somehow keep Brunson, OG, Bridges, Hart and Donte healthy. I guess they have a chance in the East if Giannis, Embiid, Jimmy & Haliburton get hurt again. But their core isn't anything special compared to the other top 5-6 groups in the league. So giving up 5 firsts to better your third guy (when you already lost the top 2 in most matchups) seems like a risky move.

They're behind the Celtics and Nuggets. Not sure about anyone else. They solid defenders all over their roster and someone to take up the scoring load if Randle goes out again. They're following the Celtics blueprint and aren't as good, but they have impressive depth and a variety of defenders to throw at top heavy teams. They have a poor man's Celtics roster that's probably on par with OKC and the T-Wolves. I put them over everyone in the East except Boston.

I don't see much risk here. You either push your chips in and make a play for a title or you sit just outside of contention until you have to rebuild anyway. If it doesn't work out there are always teams out there ready to throw picks at you to improve. Everyone thought Houston and Brooklyn screwed themselves for years to come and Houston has one of the stronger young foundations in the league and the Nets are flush with picks to rebuild with.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #528
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It makes me furious the Bulls couldn't get more for Caruso if that's the asking price for a nice role player.

I'm not sure the Bulls understood what they had. Caruso has massive value to title contenders. For those teams with stars already in place you get a guy that can come in, knock down shots, defend, and make you clearly better without using many possessions on a cap hit of less than 10 mil per. That's something you pay a premium for when you're firmly within your window.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #529
RainMaker
General Manager

Just read through the details and 4 of those picks are unprotected which seems a bit insane. Like would the Nets really have turned down that trade if those picks were top 3 protected?
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #530
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm not sure the Bulls understood what they had. Caruso has massive value to title contenders. For those teams with stars already in place you get a guy that can come in, knock down shots, defend, and make you clearly better without using many possessions on a cap hit of less than 10 mil per. That's something you pay a premium for when you're firmly within your window.

They reportedly turned down a top-10 pick in this year's draft. The Kings also offered them their 1st. Supposedly the Warriors offered multiple first last season. And Caruso was a way to dump the bad Lavine contract.

Their problem seems to be that the owner doesn't want to rebuild. He wants to just sneak into the playoffs and keep the arena full. The goal isn't titles, it's 40 wins. And trading Caruso for a bunch of future picks hurts that chance next season.

It's still criminal that they traded with a team that has like 10 first round picks in their pocket and they didn't get any. Especially when you realize the Bulls still owe the Spurs a 1st round pick.

I personally would have dumped Caruso for picks. Sign and trade with Demar for picks (a guy they should have moved at the deadline when he had a ton of value). And then pray you can get anything for Lavine. That way you're bad enough for the next year or two to keep your protected 1st too. But can't do that with the worst owner in sports.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #531
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t understand trading the Dillingham pick for the Spurs. They have no guards.